Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool are in the 2nd round of the League Cup what with no CL/EL. The draw is 12pm Thursday

Aston Villa
    Cardiff
    Crystal Palace
    Everton
    Fulham
    Hull
    Liverpool
    Newcastle
    Norwich City
    Southampton
    Stoke City
    Sunderland
    West Brom
    West Ham
    Barnsley
    Birmingham
    Bolton
    Bournemouth
    Burnley
    Charlton
    Derby
    Doncaster
    Huddersfield
    Leicester
    Millwall
    Nottingham Forest
    QPR
    Reading
    Watford
    Yeovil
    Brentford
    Bristol City
    Bury
    Leyton Orient
    MK Dons
    Peterborough
    Preston
    Rotherham
    Stevenage
    Swindon
    Tranmere
    Walsall
    Accrington
    Burton Albion
    Cheltenham
    Morecambe
    Newport County

To be played tonight

Carlisle/Blackburn
    Leeds/Chesterfield
    Notts County/Fleetwood

A game against Michael Ngoos side would be pretty good, he gets to play on national telly and LFC gets a pretty straightforward tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Can't comment on him myself but it seems those who've seen Granada play do rate him going on what they've seen alright.

Would rate him as better than any of the left back options at Barca or Real. He can actually defend as well as get forward.

Actually I think if I could go after any leftback right now, and getting the player was not an issue, I think I would like to gamble on a young player from the Bundesliga in David Alaba. I think that lot have a real gem on their hands and that he will be something else in a couple of years. Just looks to have everything a quality full back needs and at having only turned 21 he has time on his side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Paulegend wrote: »
    but all i was stating that it wasnt as simple as losing a striker who could score 30 goals. but it was more that our direct rivals where also going to gain a striker that can score 30 goals

its a simple and very factual statement and i was ridiculed for making it. youd swear i just pissed on the pitch at anfield.

Lots of coulds, cans ......and "direct rivals" i'd still class Everton, Spurs, Swansea in that category as much as i'd be going with Arsenal, Chelsea,City.......

Everyone gets your point. If Suarez goes to Arsenal, it is very likely they improve as a team. Not certain but very likely. (Plenty of moves have not worked out. I would have wagered Veron would have improved United, Crespo Chelsea, Crouch Stoke, Kaka RM, Torres Chelsea etc).

Big name transfer on occasion don't work out as planned.

However, it should improve them. And weaken Liverpool.

We'd all agree with you if you stopped there.

But then you're obsessing with this +30 and -30 nonsense and coming up with 60 goal swing. It doesn't work like that no matter how good it sounds in your head.

If Suarez stays at LFC, he could do a hamstring on the Liverpool training pitch. If he signs for Arsenal he'd be in London. May not do the hamstring. Or vice versa. If he stays he may score 27 for LFC, if he goes he may score 19 for Arsenal. Or vice versa.

Point is this, whoever he plays for the goals he adds to that side are not "extra" on top of last seasons total. They are merely goals. There is no way to determine a "swing" by picking numbers.

Finally, to hammer this home. If you believe there is a 60 goal swing here (arsenal +30, liverpool -30) what happens if Liverpool sign a striker who scores 20 goals next season? By your logic, that should mean Arsenal finish the season with 40 extra goals to Liverpool. Seeing as Arsenal get +30 and Liverpool get -10. Silly right? A striker scores 20 goals yet they have -10!

Make sense now? Liverpool dont start -30. They start , like arsenal at 0. And i'd wager they'll finish the season on similar goals whoever has Suarez. Or neither.

Corvo wrote: »
    Dont forget a World Cup year. Great opportunity to pick up someone on the fringes of the national side and see if they can put in a good year to get back in.

Saying that, I have no examples. But I'm out of my mind on Xanex so...

A very valid point imo. There are plenty of quality players that will be overlooked/not needed by the top teams, and who may be desperate to get into their national teams for the World cup.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Kess73 wrote: »
    Much as I rate KDB, I have to fix your post. :pac:

If Chelsea wanted Suarez, then then can go big for him. Hazard and Lukaku would upgrade our starting XI even with Suarez gone.

Lukaku showed last season at West Brom just how effective he could be on the right side of their attack as a right wing forward. Hazard is Hazard and could play on either wing or in the AM slot. Just put Coutinho wherever Hazard is not playing. :D

Sturridge
    Coutinho--Hazard---Lukaku.

Never going to happen, but it is a tasty looking front four that pretty much contain a bit of everything in terms of offensive qualities.

I think you need to lie down. The sun must be getting to you.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Much as I rate KDB, I have to fix your post. :pac:

If Chelsea wanted Suarez, then then can go big for him. Hazard and Lukaku would upgrade our starting XI even with Suarez gone.

Lukaku showed last season at West Brom just how effective he could be on the right side of their attack as a right wing forward. Hazard is Hazard and could play on either wing or in the AM slot. Just put Coutinho wherever Hazard is not playing. :D

Sturridge
    Coutinho--Hazard---Lukaku.

Never going to happen, but it is a tasty looking front four that pretty much contain a bit of everything in terms of offensive qualities.

I'd love to say Hazard myself :)

True enough about Lukaku. Great thing about our football last season is that Suarez and Sturridge interchanged positions for spells in every game they both featured, so I wouldn't see a problem with Lukaku and Sturridge doing similar.

With KDB you have someone who can play quite literally anywhere in midfield and even lead the line as he's done with Bremen and Belgium on occasion.
    Would rate him as better than any of the left back options at Barca or Real. He can actually defend as well as get forward.

Actually I think if I could go after any leftback right now, and getting the player was not an issue, I think I would like to gamble on a young player from the Bundesliga in David Alaba. I think that lot have a real gem on their hands and that he will be something else in a couple of years. Just looks to have everything a quality full back needs and at having only turned 21 he has time on his side.

It's Real's mouthpiece of course, but I see AS are saying that he's asked has asked the president of Granada to do everything possible to help him sign for Madrid.

They also state that we're putting together a formal offer for him too, but as you'd expect he wants Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

8-10 wrote: »
    I do a lot of data modelling for baseball (gambling and fantasy motivated mostly) and I've always wanted to come up with a Goals-Above-Replacement stat for soccer similar to a baseball player's WAR - Wins-Above-Replacement which is HUGELY popular in sabermetrics.

I think even if we used the simplest model for the calculation if would be obvious how ridiculous a 60-goal swing sounds. It's probably no more than 25 I would think.

so me saying a 60 goal swing is ridiculous but you plucking 26 out of thin air is rational????

ok ill put it in even simpler terms

arsenal are liverpools direct target this season.
    arsenal are ahead of liverpool in terms of last season.
    for arguements sake we will say that both teams have equal amount of goals in them so both can score 70 goals

lets say it wasnt suarez but another striker
    liverpool have a 50 million striker
    arsenal want to buy a 50 million striker

then liverpool and arsenal would both have 50 million worth strikers but now arsenal are a 50 million striker better off than liverpool as they where on a level playing field

but now lets say its suarez
    arsenal want to buy liverpools 50 million striker

now arsenal have a 50 million worth striker and liverpool have lost a 50 million worth striker. this would be the same things as saying liverpool are now a 100 million striker worse off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Not a gamble at all. Already one of the best around!

And NO chance in a squillion years of getting him, or of Bayern selling at all! They are looking very strong for a number of years to come, with the likes of Kroos, Muller, Gotze, Shaqiri, Javi, Thiago and Boateng all the right side of 25. Scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

so me saying a 60 goal swing is ridiculous but you plucking 26 out of thin air is rational????

for arguements sake we will say that both teams have equal amount of goals in them so both can score 70 goals

then liverpool and arsenal would both have 50 million worth strikers but now arsenal are a 50 million striker better off than liverpool as they where on a level playing field

now arsenal have a 50 million worth striker and liverpool have lost a 50 million worth striker. this would be the same things as saying liverpool are now a 100 million striker worse off

I worked out a simple example on my pad using Aspas and Podolski as examples of replacements and got 25, not thin air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

please go back to bed.

If a club sells a 50 million quid striker they've lost a 50 million quid striker and gained, umm, 50 million quid.

Stop now. Ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Is the match tonight on TV?

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

opr wrote: »
    Is the match tonight on TV?

Opr

Its on BT1, coverage starts at half five. Can't say I enjoy the build up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Out of curiosity and to try and get away from people arguing back and over between each other, who would people recommend as a replacement for Suarez?

Realistic replacements?

I know Diego Costa has been linked, but to be honest I dont think we were going for him as a replacement as such....then again maybe we were. :(

Its a pity we didnt go for Soldado too. To be honest there's not a lot of stand out options available to us. Unrealistic to expect someone close to Suarez' standard but if we have to replace him I'm worried about who we can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Borini will have to start tonight, he has to get some goals in to build his confidence before the season starts

I'd love to say Hazard myself :)

True enough about Lukaku. Great thing about our football last season is that Suarez and Sturridge interchanged positions for spells in every game they both featured, so I wouldn't see a problem with Lukaku and Sturridge doing similar.

With KDB you have someone who can play quite literally anywhere in midfield and even lead the line as he's done with Bremen and Belgium on occasion.

Oh I really rate KDB, and agree with everything you are saying about him, but would want Chelsea to pay outas much as possible should they express an interest in Suarez, hence wanting Hazard in the very unlikely event of that scenario happening. :)

KDB does look the business alright, and he would improve our starting XI imo.

Chelsea do have some very very talented looking young players at the moment though. Would rate Tomas Kalas as being another that will turn out to be another smashing bit of business by them.

It's Real's mouthpiece of course, but I see AS are saying that he's asked has asked the president of Granada to do everything possible to help him sign for Madrid.

They also state that we're putting together a formal offer for him too, but as you'd expect he wants Madrid.

Yeah would be very surprised to see Real or Barca not go in for him before the summer window ends tbh.

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    Not a gamble at all. Already one of the best around!

And NO chance in a squillion years of getting him, or of Bayern selling at all! They are looking very strong for a number of years to come, with the likes of Kroos, Muller, Gotze, Shaqiri, Javi, Thiago and Boateng all the right side of 25. Scary.

Of course he would be a gamble, just as any new player is to one degree or another.

Would not rate him as one of the best around just yet though as he has only played one full season at left back, but I do think he has all the tools to become one of the best around within a couple of seasons.

And I know we don't have a hope of getting him, hence me saying in my post which you quoted
    Actually I think if I could go after any leftback right now, and getting the player was not an issue
    :)

please go back to bed.

If a club sells a 50 million quid striker they've lost a 50 million quid striker and gained, umm, 50 million quid.

Stop now. Ok?

ok we both have 10 apples

i give you 1 of my apples

how many more apples do you have than me

jesus christ are you not capable of listening to reason

Chelsea do have some very very talented looking young players at the moment though. Would rate Tomas Kalas as being another that will turn out to be another smashing bit of business by them.

Agreed. Like Van Ginkel, he was superb for Vitesse. Whether the both of them get a proper chance at Chelsea remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

joe123 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity and to try and get away from people arguing back and over between each other, who would people recommend as a replacement for Suarez?

Realistic replacements?

I know Diego Costa has been linked, but to be honest I dont think we were going for him as a replacement as such....then again maybe we were. :(

Its a pity we didnt go for Soldado too. To be honest there's not a lot of stand out options available to us. Unrealistic to expect someone close to Suarez' standard but if we have to replace him I'm worried about who we can get.

Solomon Rondon, Luis Muriel, Lamela would be 3 perhaps could afford 2 of them from the Suarez cash. Then up to the owners to come up with the goods for Papadopolous and a left back

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Is this the Liverpool thread of maths class for junior infants? ffs lads listen to yourselves :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Realistic replacements?

Would prefer to see us try to bring in a wide forward/winger and an attacking midfielder in place of Suarez. Getting any one player who could match what Suarez brings to the team simply is not going to happen imo, but bringing in two of good quality could strengthen the team as a unit more than the loss of Suarez weakens it.

Players like Eriksen, Wijnaldum, Ayew (Andre) or similar would certainly be within the reach of Liverpool FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Are you seriously still going on about this??:eek::eek:

Agreed. Like Van Ginkel, he was superb for Vitesse. Whether the both of them get a proper chance at Chelsea remains to be seen.

Yeah he was indeed. Was really hard to believe he was only 18 and 19 whilst on loan to Vitesse such was the quality of his defensive play.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dude, calm down. Between your posts heere and in the Arsenal thread you aren't doing yourself any favours. Have a kit kat or a snickers or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

But if we find an apple tree what would we get hanging from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

And if one of our apples fell off a boat what then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Someone is few slices short of an apple here alright....if he carries on i will be be-cider myself with laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Would prefer to see us try to bring in a wide forward/winger and an attacking midfielder in place of Suarez. Getting any one player who could match what Suarez brings to the team simply is not going to happen imo, but bringing in two of good quality could strengthen the team as a unit more than the loss of Suarez weakens it.

Players like Eriksen, Wijnaldum, Ayew (Andre) or similar would certainly be within the reach of Liverpool FC.

Kess how was the training session Monday? You pick up any tidbits or gossip?

disclaimer: any information divulged by Kess is not considered the opinion of the club or anyone associated with the club. All information will be used by amiable. T&Cs apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Apples and oranges lads.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Turtyturd wrote: »
    And then if arsenal gave us thier best orange tree in exchange, that yielded and average of 64 oranges in spring compared the to the 10 + 1 apples, the fruitman wins.

I think a cheeky bid for Willian is in order, or Martinez. Either would fit in nicely for us.

If Suarez is sold, and if there is truth to what the club are saying, we could probably afford both along with a centre half.

• Advertisement

You's and your fancy apples. I have to make do with turnips.

vlcsnap-00129.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Dont know if posted before but anyway.....Digger at it again.

Also a uestion to Kess or anyone else that was at the game.....LUCAS?? Is he on the way to getting back to proper form?? From what I can see from watching on TV he looks to have stepped things up a bit, but obviously you get a much better idea when watching the game live.

Allen also??

i tried to drop this ages ago and there where a few plums;) yes i can make puns too lol, that kept on about it

the worst part about it is most agree with what i was saying except the way i was saying it. i mean come on. its getting a bit petty. everyone is just attacking me for what i was saying even though they mostly agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

tumblr_mn9vhf1Ni61s8qfmlo1_500.gif

i really want to but im not going to not defend what i said when i know im right

ok maybe if we start talking away from all that crap it can get back to some sort of non fruity normality

any news on who is starting tonight??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says there is little he can do while summer target Luis Suarez is embroiled in a dispute with Liverpool over his future.

The Gunners made a £40m plus one pound offer for the Uruguay striker last month, believing it would meet his release clause, but it was rejected out of hand by Liverpool.

Suarez has made it clear that he wants out of Anfield and most recently complained that boss Brendan Rodgers had promised he would be allowed to leave if they failed to reach the Champions League.

The 26-year-old is yet to complicate things by handing in a transfer request, but that option remains as does requesting the Premier League to intervene over the interpretation of his 'get out clause'.

Wenger has already stressed that he will not get involved in a public auction for Suarez, but with deadlines for Champions League registration approaching, he admitted on Tuesday that the situation was far from ideal for his club.

"At the moment the situation is on standby. I heard that [Suarez is considering legal action to force a move], but this is sometimes linked with things that you don't know as a potential buyer," Wenger said to Al Jazeera Sport.

"That is the story between Suarez and Liverpool and I don't know what has been said, what has been promised and what has been written and that is only Suarez and Liverpool that can decide that.

"It is nothing to do with us. We have been told that the player wants to leave Liverpool and that is why we have acted.

"I really don't know what will be decided by Liverpool."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I was wondering why there was so many posts, above is the same as the goal crap you where talking about. Very odd.

If I bought your phone for £50, you are actually down £100...

• Advertisement

billy2012 wrote: »
    Also a uestion to Kess or anyone else that was at the game.....LUCAS?? Is he on the way to getting back to proper form?? From what I can see from watching on TV he looks to have stepped things up a bit, but obviously you get a much better idea when watching the game live.

Allen also??

I think Lucas has looked excellent. Some great long passing and hasn't looked like he's holding anything back.

That's like a new signing (in the absence of any others)... :D

Turtyturd wrote: »

Surely Cantona's seagulls would take care of that...

RasTa wrote: »
    I was wondering why there was so many posts, above is the same as the goal crap you where talking about. Very odd.

see i try to leave it go and this rubbish comes up. i mean come on...............

listen you either

-know what im talking about and accept or deny it
    -havent a clue what im on about and dont care
    -havent a clue what im talking about but you are curious and want to know

or do you really just want to post something and try to get a couple of giggles because you care about what people on the internet think of you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

see i try to leave it go and this rubbish comes up. i mean come on...............

listen you either

-know what im talking about and accept or deny it
    -havent a clue what im on about and dont care
    -havent a clue what im talking about but you are curious and want to know

or do you really just want to post something and try to get a couple of giggles because you care about what people on the internet think of you??

Obviously care what strangers on the internet think of me.

Secondly wondering how if Liverpool sell him for £50million they are somehow £100m worse off. Same for when Torres went to Chelsea in your mind?

gafferino wrote: »
    Kess how was the training session Monday? You pick up any tidbits or gossip?

disclaimer: any information divulged by Kess is not considered the opinion of the club or anyone associated with the club. All information will be used by amiable. T&Cs apply.

HEHE like the disclaimer

Was a very good weekend as a whole. Got to the testimonial, the dinner and the training session.

Sturridge and Kelly looked very sharp in training. Sturridge himself commented at the dinner that he expects to be in the match day squad for the first game of the season, and that he thinks he will be playing in Dublin at the weekend.

Agger also expects to be ready to start against Stoke. He is possibly going to again open a business in Liverpool. Has had some of his ink touched up as seen the night of the dinner. Used to be a regular in one of his restuarants before he sold it, and we have compared ink a number of times over the years after he had noticed my sleeves. Even had the eye stripes on my Slaine tatt touched up by him in 2012, think I am one of about ten local folk who were inked in some way by him whilst he was getting back up to speed as a tattooist.

Ibe's pace is just silly when he breaks into a sprint without the ball. Boy is just so quick and has the initial acceleration to go with the speed. Seems to have gotten a lot quicker than I remember him being in the non senior levels

Mignolet can understand flemish being spoken with a scouse twang. Fecker is going to be pestered from 105 this season :D

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think Lucas has looked excellent. Some great long passing and hasn't looked like he's holding anything back.

That's like a new signing (in the absence of any others)... :D

He really would be like a new signing if he regained his best form.

I have noticed that aswell about his passing, he sees to offering a bit more going forward which has always been my main prob with Lucas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

But what about depreciation :D

billy2012 wrote: »

Allen also??

Too early to tell tbh. Friendlies and training are not great ways to gauge how he will be against genuinely competitive players.

Looked sharp enough to my eyes, but we won't really have an answer until the team are playing for points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Realistic replacements?

We missed the boat with Soldado. If FSG are going to continue a theme then we missed a trick with Bony too, he is 24.

Obviously care what strangers on the internet think of me.

Secondly wondering how if Liverpool sell him for £50million they are somehow £100m worse off. Same for when Torres went to Chelsea in your mind?

course not as we replaced torres's goals.

this my explanation from earlier

all im saying is that

Mignolet
    glen--skrtel---agger--enrique
    --gerrard--lucas--coutinho
    sturridge--suarez--sterling

this might be a team that can score lets say for arguments sake 80 goals in the league and cups
    lets say suarez scores 30 and between the rest there are 50

Mignolet
    glen--skrtel---agger--enrique
    --gerrard--lucas--coutinho
    sturridge--???????--sterling

now all im saying is that this team has 50 goals in them which is 30 less than suarez's help. now im not pretending that he wont be replaced. all im saying is that the question mark player will have to be a player who can score that many goals or help the team to get that many goals. maybe the player we bring in is james mccarthy for example. we would shuffle players around like coutihno up front with sturridge in the center. now maybe instead of sturridge getting 15 goals maybe he scores 25 because instead of just providing assists he is now on the end of them. im not denying that the players we have are capable of subsidizing suarez's goal tally but im saying that we need to replace the goals.

if the questionmark player was borini and didnt score a single goal then we would have lost out on the 30 goals that suarez would have scored.

likewise with arsenal they have been getting goals from all over the field. but lets say that suarez went into the team and replaced someone who doesnt score as often. lets say that the ox swapped with ramsey and suarez went into the team instead of ramsey. now they still have the goals in the team that they had before suarez but they also now have suarez. he may not score as many as 30 since the goals would probably be more shared out but he could score between 20-30 goals

this is where im coming from. while the player we replace suarez is questionmark then we are up to 60 goals worse off than arsenal.

the player to be questionmark could easily be aspas alberto ibe or even joe allen. its about who replaces the man on the field and can they add assists or goals. if they can then we will be fine but until then my point stands

im not saying that we are 100 million worse off or anything like that. im saying that we are a potential 60 goals worse off as suarez will score for arsenal the goals he would have scored for us.

its the whole 6 pointer games example.

you play your direct rivals in a game and its like a 6 pointer

same principal.

some dont want to admit they agree and others just want to try to wind me up. maybe id be a betetr poster if i just licked ass and agreed with everyone instead of forming an opinion

Fiorentina have made Adem Ljajić available for €12M to foreign clubs to avoid him going to Milan. That's a steal right there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement