Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Fiorentina have made Adem Ljajić available for €12M to foreign clubs to avoid him going to Milan. That's a steal right there.

€12m would certainly be a price that would make him worth a punt. Surprised to hear they want to sell him. Is that on the back of the falling outs he was rumoured to have had with players ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Stefan Kiessling as a possible new striker? Top scorer in the bundesliga last season with 25 goals. He's 29 but I can't imagine he'd be too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

A lot of stuff getting lost in the general meltdown over the Suarez thing as well as the stupid maths argument going on.

Slick once again sums up the view of most Liverpool fans I would imagine.

This running to the media is the straw that broke the camels back, possibly the point of no return and will make the majority of fans change their view of him.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    firstly, i'd just like to make it clear that i would have liked Suarez to stay.

it's incredible, not only to see the interview itself, but also to see the reaction of a section of our fans. if there's anything this Suarez saga has done, it has made clear the fans who will criticise the club for anything, and would rather assume that it fúcked up and believe a serial liar, than give the club the benefit of any doubt.

now, i'm fully aware that we are not where we would like to be as a club. we're not in the CL, we're on a cost-cutting exercise due to a variety of reasons, and we're desperate to get back amongst the elite. i'm also fully aware that we probably will not do this without players like Suarez in our ranks, hence why i would have liked him to stay.

but it flabbergasts me, and to be honest, it kind of enraged me, to see many people's first reaction to this be to criticise the club, when I'd have thought the first reaction of any Liverpool supporter should have been to condemn Suarez for his, quite frankly, despicable behaviour towards our great club.

i don't care about the goals he's scored. i don't care about his never-say-die attitude on the pitch. it pales into insignificance compared to the toeraggery he's indulging in at the moment, and the disrespect he's showing.

twice, we stood by him, fans and club alike. in the case of the racism storm, Kenny's reaction probably helped lose him his job. how anybody can do anything at the moment but have disdain for Suarez is beyond me. i can't fathom it.

don't forget, Suarez cited his family's safety as a reason why he thinks they should leave England. un-fúcking-believable.

he is now dragging the matter's intricacies into the press - the same press who were hounding him out of the country - and embarrassing the club at the same time. all while wanting to go to Arsenal, in London, where there is of course no media. un-fúcking-believable.

he should be sold abroad, or let rot in the reserves. i really don't care anymore. people can talk about 4th and what not, but this man does not deserve to be near our club. i actually feel incredibly stupid that I ever defended him on anything, purely because he's a great player.

how anyone believes anything he says at this stage is incredible to me. how this "promise" is being given any credence is quite baffling. if this promise exists, he'd be gone by now. plain and simple. plus, he would not need to bleat to the media in order to get what he wants. as others have said, a promise he gave to us - on a fúcking legal document - said he'd be with us until 2017. so he can fúck right off with his whining.

i think it's a sad indictment of modern football that he was cheered to the rafters at the weekend, despite the fact that it was obvious the man was going to go down a route like this. it's a sad indictment of us as fans, that many don't seem to give a shít about his character. the man has disrespected the club.

even Wayne Rooney - Wayne fúcking Rooney - keeps all his disputes with Utd between him and club without running to the press. at least he gives in a transfer request. that at least shows a modicum of respect.

none of this changes the fact that the club needs to be get players in; it just means we need 2 or 3 singings more than ever. as i've already said, if signings don't happen, then I'll be píssed, and will have lost a lot of faith in the current setup.

but that is for another day FFS.

the first reaction today should be anger at a player who blatantly doesn't give a shít. a man who would rather bleat to a press he professes to despise, a press, he says, he has to rescue his family from. a man who'd prefer to do this than be somewhat professional, show Liverpool some respect, and deal with it behind closed doors.

the man is classless, and i'm done.

This is a pretty spot on piece that is worth taking the time to read.
    greendom wrote: »

I predicted through the summer that Suarez would stay as we would not sell to Arsenal and they would not reach our high valuation, and also because Madrid's supposed interest was basically non-existent.

So far I think I've been right about that.

However the second part of my prediction (that Suarez would buckle down and play, even if he didn't get the move he wanted) has turned out to be spectacularly wrong. I thought the spoiled brat act, the 'do-anything-it-takes' attitude was an on-pitch persona and that he was a bit different off it. I was wrong.

I didn't expect this degree of agitating. I didn't expect this level of hypocrisy and classlessness. I also didn't believe he would be so so desperate to join Arsenal.

I thought he has more respect for the club, the fans and his teammates.

No one expects loyalty in the modern-day footballer, but you expect a little bit of respect for the fans, particularly those who show up and pay their hard earned cash to sing his name, even when he said he wanted to leave.

At this point it's difficult to know what will happen. Interest from Europe continues to be non-existent. Arsenal is the only option on the table. £40,000,001 seems to be as high as Arsenal are going. Liverpool are adamant they won't sell at that price, but has Suarez forced their hand?

A messy legal battle over the truth of the clause in his contract could be on the horizon...Will this be sorted by end of the window?

I'm not sure where this will end up... I wonder if a few prudent European clubs will come sniffing with a £30m offer...

Any predictions? I still think it's possible Suarez is still a Liverpool player come the end of the window, but it may not be best for anyone at this stage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Stefan Kiessling as a possible new striker? Top scorer in the bundesliga last season with 25 goals. He's 29 but I can't imagine he'd be too expensive.

Really like him, but he just signed a new contract last week I think......although apparently contracts dont mean d*ck these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Paulegend wrote: »
    course not as we replaced torres's goals.

this my explanation from earlier

all im saying is that

Mignolet
    glen--skrtel---agger--enrique
    --gerrard--lucas--coutinho
    sturridge--suarez--sterling

this might be a team that can score lets say for arguments sake 80 goals in the league and cups
    lets say suarez scores 30 and between the rest there are 50

Mignolet
    glen--skrtel---agger--enrique
    --gerrard--lucas--coutinho
    sturridge--???????--sterling

now all im saying is that this team has 50 goals in them which is 30 less than suarez's help. now im not pretending that he wont be replaced. all im saying is that the question mark player will have to be a player who can score that many goals or help the team to get that many goals. maybe the player we bring in is james mccarthy for example. we would shuffle players around like coutihno up front with sturridge in the center. now maybe instead of sturridge getting 15 goals maybe he scores 25 because instead of just providing assists he is now on the end of them. im not denying that the players we have are capable of subsidizing suarez's goal tally but im saying that we need to replace the goals.

if the questionmark player was borini and didnt score a single goal then we would have lost out on the 30 goals that suarez would have scored.

likewise with arsenal they have been getting goals from all over the field. but lets say that suarez went into the team and replaced someone who doesnt score as often. lets say that the ox swapped with ramsey and suarez went into the team instead of ramsey. now they still have the goals in the team that they had before suarez but they also now have suarez. he may not score as many as 30 since the goals would probably be more shared out but he could score between 20-30 goals

this is where im coming from. while the player we replace suarez is questionmark then we are up to 60 goals worse off than arsenal.

the player to be questionmark could easily be aspas alberto ibe or even joe allen. its about who replaces the man on the field and can they add assists or goals. if they can then we will be fine but until then my point stands

im not saying that we are 100 million worse off or anything like that. im saying that we are a potential 60 goals worse off as suarez will score for arsenal the goals he would have scored for us.

its the whole 6 pointer games example.

you play your direct rivals in a game and its like a 6 pointer

same principal.

some dont want to admit they agree and others just want to try to wind me up. maybe id be a betetr poster if i just licked ass and agreed with everyone instead of forming an opinion

I can safely say not many agree with you. You point is based on speculation, you could just as easily say Suarez has the potential to dismember an opponent in the opening game and be banned for life its mindless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

daithijjj wrote: »
    We missed the boat with Soldado. If FSG are going to continue a theme then we missed a trick with Bony too, he is 24.

BONY!!!

Brian Deane claimed to have taken him to Liverpool for a trial when he was only 19.

Also read that Liverpool were very close to signing Martinez last year but were not prepared to spend 7M on someone only proven in the Mexican league, they decided to sign Borini instead :(

I can safely say not many agree with you. You point is based on speculation, you could just as easily say Suarez has the potential to dismember an opponent in the opening game and be banned for life its mindless.

A line should be drawn under this argument, it's taken up the last 5 pages of the thread and is irrelevant. I'm not back-seat modding or anything, I'm just making a suggestion for our collective sanity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Chris Bascombe...
    Chris Bascombe (@_ChrisBascombe)
    8/7/13, 1:22 AM
    There's key, legally significant element of Suarez contract he's ignored which, sadly for him, has absolutely no ambiguity. EXPIRES 2016.

Arsene...
    andycbub andy JFT96 5h
    Hahaha love it #YNWA
    BRDoe_jCAAAZ2d-.jpg:large
    Luis Suárez has shown Liverpool fans the kind of player he really is

By making clear his desire to leave Anfield, the Uruguayan has demonstrated there is no place in modern football for loyalty

Luis-Su-rez-008.jpg

The first thing to understand about Luis Suárez's interview with the Guardian is that he came to us. There was no pursuit this side. It was Suárez's idea, impatient that he was not getting his own way, aggrieved by some of the things he was hearing, increasingly starting to think of that red shirt as little more than a straitjacket.

You wonder, does he realise how rich it is that he has turned to one of the newspapers he previously blamed for everything? Or whether he particularly cares now it is increasingly transparent how far he is willing to go to get his move to Arsenal and that, next, lawyers will be involved and Liverpool face the ultimate indignity of being reported to the authorities by the player they have cherished and protected and defended, often to the point of ridicule.

Suárez being Suárez, the story is littered with imperfections. It does not seem to register that Liverpool, after the battering their reputation has taken, might deserve better than this kind of mutiny. There is no apparent shame, or even recognition, of all the times when he has expanded on why he will be staying at Anfield come what may, or any form of appreciation that some people actually believed it.

And it boils down to this: can we actually trust a single damn thing he says? That is the difficult part here. Can we put our faith in a man with his previous for bluff and spin and downright deception when, at the heart of his complaints, he wants us to believe Brendan Rodgers promised he would be let free if Liverpool did not qualify for the Champions League? Or will it transpire that it is just another Suárez con-trick, more evidence that morality does not even come into it, and we are talking about someone who operates in a world where it is fine to play dirty, just as long as it means getting what he wants.

"I spoke with Brendan Rodgers several times and he told me: 'Stay another season and you have my word if we don't make it then I will personally make sure that you can leave,'" Suárez says. "I just want them to abide by the promises made last season."

If that is true, Suárez has legitimate reasons to be aggrieved. Yes, he appears to have forgotten, with alarming haste, the phenomenal support Rodgers and Liverpool have provided but a broken promise is a broken promise and, before anything, his manager surely has to clear up whether this is truth or fiction, on the record and with no incongruity.

Bucking the modern trend, there is also something to be said about the fact Suárez has at least had the gumption to say what he thinks, the old-fashioned way, rather than hiding behind an assortment of men in suits, in the style of Wayne Rooney and Gareth Bale, and employing people to get his information out, drip by drip, but with nothing attributed.

He also makes a valid point about the Champions League because it is true that a player of these gifts, in his prime years, should crave a place in Europe's premier club competition. For Liverpool, this is the cold reality of modern life. Suárez is just bringing it home what it is like to be permanently playing catch-up. And this, unfortunately for one of the great bastions of the sport, is what can happen when a club is approaching a quarter of a century since their last championship and finished 28 points and a country mile from the summit last time around. The best players want more. They don't remember the days when Liverpool ruled. It's history, another century.

What about loyalty, you might ask. Yet only if you had missed the fact that the modern-day football man does not share the same characteristics of the fan. The truth – and it appeals to nobody – is that it doesn't work like that, whether we like it or not, and there is little point expecting it to be different because doing so brings only one thing: disappointment.

Rodgers has talked of the need for Suárez to show loyalty and nobody has reminded him that in 2009, as Watford manager, he provided some of the answers himself. "People are questioning my integrity and one thing I have mentioned is I always have integrity," Rodgers, asked about the fact bookmakers had slashed the odds on him taking over at Reading, said back then. "I am loyal and find it disloyal when I am asked about other clubs when I am the Watford manager." Within two weeks, he was Reading manager.

Suárez, however, is a particularly spectacular example when you think back to those days when he talked about vendettas, mistranslations, miscarriages of justice, a media "controlled by Manchester United", and there would be a stampede of fans running to his defence, like ants, lapping it all up and blindly attacking anyone who saw him for what he was (incidentally, it will be a pretty bleak day when the Press don't criticise someone for using racist language).

Maybe, without wishing to generalise too much, this is just the psyche of the football fan. Just watch how many Arsenal supporters will start to use the same old lines about Suárez – you know the ones: "misunderstood," "victimised," etc etc – if that unlikely marriage with Arsène Wenger happens. Not all of them, granted. But there is something particularly revealing about the reaction the Arseblog website has experienced after it dared oppose the move on the grounds of morality.

"Objecting to the signing of Suárez has led to some of the most virulent abuse I've ever received," Arseblog's Andrew Mangan wrote recently. "There have been veiled threats of violence because I'm honest about the fact I'd prefer if we didn't sign him.

"But what I find most dismaying is the revisionism that's gone on since our interest has become public knowledge. I don't remember too many Arsenal fans defending him when he was banned for eight games for the Evra incident. I don't remember too many Arsenal fans saying that biting somebody isn't really that bad when you think about it. I don't remember too many Arsenal fans who said anything other than Suárez, for all his talent on the field, was a pretty despicable person whose antics, cheating and nasty play made him one of the most loathed characters in the game. Yet now, people are falling over themselves to make excuses for him."

At Liverpool, all the brainwashing, the blind loyalty, the partisanship – call it what you will – is fast wearing off. Liverpool's supporters had, for the most part, liked to think that Suárez saw Anfield as more than just another workplace, that there was a special bond, that he was one of their own. More than anything, they believed in him. Suárez has made it incredibly difficult now to imagine him playing in front of the Kop, where pride is everything, again. Perhaps that was all part of the plan.

"I have to put my career first," Suárez says. "People say Liverpool deserve more from me but I have scored 50 goals in less than 100 games and now they could double the money they paid for me. It is not as if I am asking to move to a local rival."

Yet Arsenal are just that if Liverpool have serious aspirations about clambering back into the Champions League. And everything Suárez says – a mix of ambition, frustration, selfishness and that familiar persecution complex – is contained in the threat of an impending legal battle.

The clause in Suárez's contract, leaked to Arsenal and resulting in them going a pound over what they believed was the £40m release fee, is clearly ambiguous to some degree. What is absolutely clear is that Suárez is going to be as proactive as he can to make sure he gets his way. He is "happy" to go to the Premier League if a formal transfer request does not do the trick. He has already enlisted the support of the Professional Footballers' Association. These are statements that must make Liverpool's fans yearn for the days when everything was so much more simple and innocent.

Arsenal, in the meantime, can sit tight and see how it plays out. They will deny it, of course, but they may have known what Suárez was planning in advance. And if it was all part of a strategy – strengthen Arsenal's position, weaken Liverpool's – it has probably worked. Rodgers, until this point, has argued that Liverpool are bigger than any player, then repeatedly acted in a way that completely contradicts that view. Now it must surely be about trying to extract as much money as possible and rushing through a replacement before the transfer window clanks shut.

In one way, it would represent a wretched episode for the modern Liverpool because of what it says about their place in the order of English football these days, and the knowledge that players of this ability, like rare butterflies, do not come along that often. In another sense, it might be a blessed relief when Suárez becomes someone else's problem. If "problem" is the right word for someone who can score goals from any distance or angle. "My record shows that I'm not the kind of player who wants to change clubs every season," Suárez says. No, this would be his fourth transfer in eight years. So, to clarify, every other season. That kind of player.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/aug/07/luis-suarez-liverpool-arsenal-loyalty?CMP=twt_gu
    Spoilt man-child Luis Suarez has shown disrespect to Brendan Rodgers... and shouldn't be touched with a barge pole

David Maddock says football fans should empathise with the anger the Liverpool boss must feel following the striker's betrayal and insists Arsene Wenger should say well clear

Luis-Suarez-2131327.jpg

Rarely are you inclined to offer sympathy towards anyone successful in the ruthless world of football, given the rhino-hide skin required to achieve it.

Yet if sympathy isn't the right response for the position Brendan Rodgers finds himself in this morning, then you can at least empathise with the anger, frustration and hurt the Liverpool manager must be feeling right now.

Luis Suarez's comments yesterday went beyond the usual cynical utterances we are all wearily accustomed to, as footballers play their idiotic games to ensure they can grasp the object of their latest desire - which is almost always yet more money, as though they haven't already got enough of it.

The South American's toddler tantrum attacks were personal, accusing his manager of amongst other thing, "lying"...which is pretty rich coming from a man who was found by an FA disciplinary to have seriously distorted the truth with inconsistencies whilst offering testimony against racism charges.

We can go into the rights of wrongs of what Suarez is doing to force himself out of Anfield, but really, what is the point? He is a spoilt man-child, no doubt indulged to the point of never having to face adult responsibility so of course he is going to temper tantrum his way towards what he wants.

And Liverpool must have surely known that was what they were getting when they signed him from Ajax. He had gone on strike to force a move to the Dutch club (after mistakenly believing his contract had allowed him a transfer, it is important to note).

He arrived at Anfield in the middle of a ban for biting an opponent , suggesting he wanted to move to England because he felt unjustly vilified back in Holland. It is easy now to join the dots, but let's face it they were plenty big enough back then to identify without reading glasses.

So Liverpool must have known this was coming, the moment the Uruguayan opened his mouth at the end of the last season, to suggest he needed to get away from England because he was, wait for it,...sick of being unjustly persecuted. Though of course, those particular goalposts have changed, and Arsenal's large contract offer seems miraculously to have eased the poor lamb's hurt feelings.

They probably deserve much of what they get as well, because they knowingly signed a man with such a checkered past, and such a potentially explosive future (and he didn't disappoint in that regard, did he?), and then kept him when all logic suggested he was toxic waste that needed to be disposed of.

Rodgers though, wasn't the manager who bought him, nor was he the manager who so sadly put his wonderful reputation on the line to defend the indefensible when Suarez took football to new depths with his ugly, primeval racism against Patrice Evra.

He was simply a manager who took a tainted footballer, worked with the flawed raw materials he inherited, and turned him into a much better player (even if he clearly couldn't turn him into a much better man).

Perhaps the single biggest reason you have to feel a certain loathing for Suarez is derived from this point. He was a talented player when he came to Anfield, and before Rodgers arrived, he had a good record.

It wasn't a great one though, because he missed a helluva lot of chances for a top player - and the fact he seemed to need six or seven openings for every goal perhaps kept him outside the truly top class bracket.

Without doubt, that changed last season, as a mere glimpse at his stats shows irrefutably. He scored 29 goals in 41 games - a world class strike rate. Why? Well, his manager created a system tailored around the striker's assets, instead of asking him to work around a system that wasn't.

The system introduced by Rodgers created as many chances for Suarez, but in different areas, asking him to utilise different skills and techniques in taking them...and no longer was he so profligate.

It may seem bizarre to a layman, but Suarez is not suited to trying instinctively to convert knock-downs. He is no Robbie Fowler, he is not a natural born finisher. So Andy Carroll was jettisoned - despite the obvious embarrassment to the club, because of the ridiculous price they paid - and the ball was offered to the South American in different parts of the penalty area, and in different ways.

You can't argue: it worked, he had his best ever season...by a mile. Suarez has gone from being very good to world class; last season his status rocketed to join the elite of international football and was rightly mentioned in the same breath as Bale, Van Persie and even Messi and and Ronaldo.

Of course, his earning potential has rocketed commensurately too, which is why Arsenal are prepared to pay him £150,000 a week-plus to desert the Anfield ship like a scuttling rat that senses looming rocks.

Those who believe Suarez owes Rodgers and Liverpool some loyalty for improving him, for elevating him towards a whole new world of earning potential, clearly don't understand the mercenary nature of football. There is no loyalty - on either side - just tunnel-vision self-interest (again on both sides).

But surely Rodgers DOES deserve just a little respect for the part he has played in giving Suarez the platform to attract not just clubs like Arsenal, but also Real Madrid. His part in earning him a pay rise that will no doubt earn the South American tens of extra millions.

And he doesn't deserve the tirade that came from the player's lips yesterday, comments and insinuations which reveal the striker as bordering on the despicable.

It shouldn't really surprise anyone though. Football had stooped this low a long time ago, and merely continues to scrape along the bottom in a subterranean world deprived of moral oxygen.

Perhaps though, it should serve to give Arsene Wenger the merest pause for thought, as he encourages the striker to aim his tiresome barbs at a decent football club in Liverpool, and a decent football man in Rodgers.

Does Wenger really think he can change Suarez? Does he really believe the forward won't do exactly the same in a year's time if Real Madrid come calling?

When Suarez picks up his near obligatory lengthy ban towards the end of next season to cost Arsenal any chance of a top four finish, does he really think this immoral tart of a footballer won't lift up his skirts and flash at any passing lust-filled club whose blood is coursing with a desire to win that offsets all logic?

Does he seriously believe the player will thank him for investing so much time, effort, money and the last shreds of any dignity in the unholy pursuit of his signature, that contradicts everything both club and manager stand for?

Wenger is rare in football in that he's an intelligent man who appears to have a wider world view, and so deep down he will know the indelible truth about Luis Suarez...he shouldn't be touched with a barge pole.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/luis-suarez-transfer-liverpool-striker-2135335

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

actually im basing it on the facts

facts about how many goals the team has scored and how many will have to be replaced.

there is no speculation other than the fact that we are talking about this season coming in which case anything anyone says about it is speculation. there is nothing at all that is incorrect about what im saying.

all im trying to say is that we need to replace his goals and he will add goals to arsenal. how is that speculation or incorrect??

i do think we should move on from this because some may agree some may not but whats true is that its getting boring and repetitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Honestly, reading this thread you would never think we have a match this evening?

• Advertisement

What kinda reception is Suarez going to get if he travels to Dublin on Sat?

I'm guessing he won't be there / involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

billy2012 wrote: »

Nah he wont be there. Hes sulking at the moment

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Kess73 wrote: »
    €12m would certainly be a price that would make him worth a punt. Surprised to hear they want to sell him. Is that on the back of the falling outs he was rumoured to have had with players ?

I've heard nothing but any fall outs with players there, there could have been. I just don't know as I don't follow Seria A as seriously as I once did tbh Kess. Milan really want him I do know that and Fiorentina want to keep him, even going as far as to offer him a new contract last I heard. The player wants Milan. So Fiorentina are willing to take a loss if need be to avoid him to going to a Seria A rival. Liverpool should take note. I know GTR is a Milan supporter as well, so he might be able to share more on the situation.

No goer that one. He did indeed agree a new deal recently and age is against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Kess73 wrote: »
    HEHE like the disclaimer

Was a very good weekend as a whole. Got to the testimonial, the dinner and the training session.

Sturridge and Kelly looked very sharp in training. Sturridge himself commented at the dinner that he expects to be in the match day squad for the first game of the season, and that he thinks he will be playing in Dublin at the weekend.

Agger also expects to be ready to start against Stoke. He is possibly going to again open a business in Liverpool. Has had some of his ink touched up as seen the night of the dinner. Used to be a regular in one of his restuarants before he sold it, and we have compared ink a number of times over the years after he had noticed my sleeves. Even had the eye stripes on my Slaine tatt touched up by him in 2012, think I am one of about ten local folk who were inked in some way by him whilst he was getting back up to speed as a tattooist.

Ibe's pace is just silly when he breaks into a sprint without the ball. Boy is just so quick and has the initial acceleration to go with the speed. Seems to have gotten a lot quicker than I remember him being in the non senior levels

Mignolet can understand flemish being spoken with a scouse twang. Fecker is going to be pestered from 105 this season :D

Who the hell are you Kess!!!!

tumblr_lxd4gy8LTK1r7swe6o1_400.gif

will he be away with the national squad by then or probably with the missus?? she is due this week as far as i know

Wenger has conducted himself pretty impeccably during this saga.

His only 'crime' is being interested in our star player.

He's done little to be lambasted for.

The Wenger-bashing is embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

This gif really is perfect for him

SuarezBirthday.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Morzadec wrote: »

It is pretty childish. They were advised by an agent and went ahead to try and buy a player who would change their season dramatically.

Just business, we would be disappointed if we didn´t take the same approach.

and the arsenal players talking about suarez??

how about arsenal bidding the exact amount of the clause?? they believed the paper talk??

i think there was alot more going on behind the scenes than we will ever know. im not blaming arsenal as it could as easily been suarez's agents approaching arsenal. but the fact is that arsenal where communicating with suarez's reps

• Advertisement

I am pie wrote: »
    It is pretty childish. They were advised by an agent and went ahead to try and buy a player who would change their season dramatically.

Just business, we would be disappointed if we didn´t take the same approach.

except its illegal to talk to an agent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Sky Sports News ask young Liverpool fan outside Anfield about Suarez. Reply: "Sell him. He's like a vampire. He bites too many people"

:pac:

Arsenal Spokeperson/Journalist...
    Luis Suarez transfer: Why Arsenal fans should be careful what they wish for

Suarez may be an outstanding talent, but Gunners fans need to remember that he comes with plenty of baggage, says John Cross

Melbourne-Victory-v-Liverpool-2084700.jpg

Be careful what you wish for.

Arsenal fans should bear that in mind as the Luis Suarez saga gets really ugly after his remarkable outburst against Liverpool, Brendan Rodgers and accusations of broken promises.

Here is a player who is outstanding on the pitch, among the best strikers in the world and yet comes with major baggage. And he's just hauled another suitcase on his back.

Suarez talks of respect, loyalty and how the Liverpool fans will understand his desire to leave. I hardly think so. It is a hard hitting interview designed to get him out of Anfield as quickly as possible.

While his claims of gentlemen's agreements and a verbal promise to sell if a Champions League club comes in may or may not be true, it is hardly an interview which shows Suarez or footballers in a good light.

In fact, it's pretty similar to what Robin van Persie did to Arsenal by issuing a statement last summer as he sought to force his way out of the Emirates. It had the desired effect.

Arsenal fans boo van Persie, regard him as public enemy number and are now supposed to welcome Suarez as the messiah. He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Bans for racially abusing Patrice Evra, biting Branislav Ivanovic and he had a similarly disgusting biting incident in Holland while at Ajax. That's not forgetting his Hand of God moment to help Uruguay beat Ghana in the World Cup quarter final.

Suarez is a brilliant player but has a rap sheet as long as your arm. In fact, it makes you wonder whether Arsenal would be able to get him if he didn't come with baggage. His value might put him in the £80m bracket, more big clubs would be in for him and Arsenal might struggle to attract him.

It is a bizarre switch to leave Liverpool for Arsenal, even if Arsene Wenger is hoping to offer Champions League football after the qualifier later this month.

Arsenal are hoping to use Suarez as a springboard to become title challengers. At the moment, they still make their annual push for top four. That's what Liverpool strive to do and may be struggle to regain without Suarez.

There's a feeling at Arsenal that Suarez will give them a nastier edge as they are too nice at the moment. He can certainly provide that going on previous evidence.

Will Arsenal fans accept him? Well, they forgave Patrick Vieira for spitting at Neil Ruddock at West Ham. That's not as bad as the Evra incident in my book. But probably worse than Ivanovic. But each to their own kangaroo court.

Football fans do forgive and forget when it suits them. Samir Nasri and van Persie are traitors. Cesc Fabregas, strangely, is forgiven for flirting with Barcelona and then sulking in a spectacular fashion to get his move to the Nou Camp.

The one key difference is that Fabregas never went public. Van Persie did. But Fabregas pushed for a move just as much as van Persie but Arsenal kept a dignified silence.

And, in fairness, Arsenal didn't go public on either bid. Liverpool did. So it's a bit bizarre to hear Rodgers talking about Arsenal's lack of class. It's agreed that no-one comes out of this well, especially not Arsenal.

But Arsenal didn't go public. When there was just two or three journalists asking Wenger about Suarez in a small huddle on the Asia tour, he was reluctant to talk about it and respectful.

When press ganged in front of cameras in an open press conference, there was no avoiding the question. Arsenal have tried to do the right thing but suddenly find themselves as the bad guys.

They got upset with Manchester City and Barcelona in the past over the Nasri and Fabregas deals. But their new motto must be: if you can't beat em, join em.

Arsenal are getting nasty and being ruthless. Wenger may not like it, but no more Mr Nice Guy. They made the bid of £40,000,001 because they'd been told that would get Suarez out.

Suarez and his advisers still believe it will. They're prepared to take it to the Premier League, PFA and then get legal recourse. Even ask for a transfer.

It's impossible to imagine Suarez playing for Liverpool again. So do they just cut their losses and sell to Arsenal?

I'm not sure John W Henry will sanction it easily and it remains to be seen whether he knew his manager and chief executive had allegedly promised the sale of his prized asset on the whim of a handshake.

Arsenal are reluctant to go higher as Suarez and his advisers have insisted that the clause still counts. Until that avenue is exhausted, I wouldn't imagine them bidding again.

The headlines make shocking and embarrassing reading for Liverpool, Arsenal and Suarez.

But don't expect a quick and easy resolution. Until then, get ready for even more mud slinging.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/luis-suarez-transfer-arsenal-fans-2134276

40 million +1! Fairly cheeky in anyone's book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What would have been an uncheeky bid ? Bearing in mind the suppose "clause" ?

Raif......you need to apply a filter to some of the stuff you post!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I was just glancing at yesterday's Irish times and there was article headlined "Rodgers accuses arsenal of lacking class". Had me trying to figure out what they had done wrong. I think Wenger has behaved very professionally and fairly throughout this saga, we can't blame him for wanting to sign our best player who desperately wants out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if they have been told by Suarez's people that that is what it takes, it's not cheeky at all.

why pay any more than you need to?

Luis Suarez claims he has a release clause in contract. Liverpool say no. This is trench warfare, football style

There's a picture doing the rounds of Luis Suarez engaging in the kind of supermarket shop you might dash to if you thought the nuclear winter was coming.

luissuarez1_2637987b.jpg

His trolley is so full you half expect to see a giddy Dale Winton offering encouragement in the background. Momentarily, the snap offered some optimism to Liverpool supporters Suarez was ready to concede he was stuck on Merseyside for the long haul.
    "Look, he's bought long life milk. He's not moving to London anytime soon."
    As of Tuesday night's interview pleading for his release from the Anfield contract he extended a year ago, we know the truth. He was indeed mentally preparing to barricade himself into his south Liverpool home for a few days, but only because he dare not risk showing his face down the fruit and vegetable aisle while the sentiments of the incendiary comments given to the Telegraph hang in the Merseyside air.
    We thirst and consume daily information about Suarez's shopping habits but remarkably little has happened in the affair – which first entered the realms of ‘transfer saga’ sometime around May – as we enter the fourth month.
    Indeed, once the glee and anger (depending on who you support) has subsided, the disturbing truth for Suarez is that this latest interview has not changed much at all.

He thinks he's a prisoner of an uncompassionate regime that promised to free him from his mid-table torment. Liverpool insist if there is one place he can not go, it's to a club that can perpetuate their Champions League exile. Trench warfare football transfer style.
    Fortunately, no matter what happens, Suarez tells us he still respects the Liverpool fans and, like Arsene Wenger, hopes for an 'amicable' solution. Of course he does. Footballers must always tiptoe through that minefield which ensures the general theme is 'it's not you, it's certainly not me, it's them' while pointing to the most politically vulnerable staff at a football club: the manager and the boardroom.
    Like that last Liverpool striker to leave citing broken promises (see Fernando Torres for more details) it's the previous interviews that undermine him.
    On the day he took a nibble of Branislav Ivanovic's biceps, Suarez said this. "The only thing I have in my head is I'm here and have a contract. I'll be here next season, yes. Not only am I playing for Liverpool, I am playing in one of the best leagues in the world."
    That, presumably, was the first slip of the tongue on a day an attack of the munchies earned him a 10-match ban. Instead, he's continuing to demand Liverpool acknowledge the true meaning of one of the most talked about clauses since Tony Blair announced he wanted to remove all traces of socialism from the Labour Party constitution.
    It is the Keyzer Soze of clauses, which a few people claim to have seen but others say does not actually exist.
    Suarez, we have been told for weeks, has been considering taking legal action to prove he does indeed have a £40 million (plus £1) exit clause. He confirmed last night it is an avenue he is exploring, prompting the inevitable question: What are you waiting for then?
    For God's sake man, just get on with it. Seriously. This is exactly how the conversation between Suarez and the Anfield hierarchy is going every time this challenge is threatened.
    "I'll take legal action you know?"
    "Fine, go ahead."
    "I mean it. I'm going to do it."
    "We heard you. Call your lawyer. Be our guest. You’ll lose."
    "This is your last warning. Sell me now or I'm going to see you in court."
    "There is no exit clause, Luis. Do what you want."
    "I'm going to count to ten now and if you haven't sold me, I'm taking legal action. One... (two week pause)... Two..."
    If it does end up at a Premier League tribunal (bet they'll hold a party at HQ if this ends up on their lap) Suarez will be faced with some questions he'd rather not answer.
    Queries such as, if you only wanted to stay at Liverpool for one more season 12 months ago, why did you sign a new deal? If you had just two years left now, rather than three, you'd probably be gone already.
    And does your suggestion Brendan Rodgers verbally guaranteed to oversee your sale this summer really tally with the fact you signed a contract extension after he was appointed?
    The Premier League might also ask why no formal, written transfer request has ever been handed in (like the legal threat, still very much stalling at the 'consideration' stage) and seek confirmation if Suarez's agent has handed confidential details about his contract to Arsenal, contrary to Rule K of the Premier League handbook. Come on Arsene, who told you to bid that extra quid?
    Liverpool are fixed in their own position to never sell Suarez to Arsenal and will be in no mood for conciliation today. After the comments by John W. Henry and Rodgers mocking the possibility, it is inconceivable. If their legal position is as watertight as they say - and all we can do is report the supreme confidence of the club it is - Arsenal's suggestion they won't increase their offer implies a high degree of corporate delusion.
    So Suarez is left to ponder more realistic options. Hope an overseas club makes a bid in excess of £50 million, preferably in the next five minutes, to make his departure more palatable to everyone at Liverpool, or accept that no matter what he does or says next, he'll be staying where he is for one more season.
    Sadly for him, Liverpool would rather leave him behind his self-erected blockade for a year, chomping his way through his mega shop like it's a Serbian limb, than allow him to take 25 Premier League goals to a top four competitor.
    Last night's interview may actually be reflective of poor mistreated Luis recognising the genuine possibility he might find himself stranded, nowhere to go because the most significant detail of his contract is the part stating it does not expire until 2016.
    If that's the case, they'll have to make a new t-shirt for him. Luis Suarez: Liverpool's rebel without a clause.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10227452/Luis-Suarez-claims-he-has-a-release-clause-in-contract.-Liverpool-say-no.-This-is-trench-warfare-football-style.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal spokesperson, hahah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The TAW piece on the subject drills down to the bones of the fan reception thing.
    When he ran out on Saturday Suarez may have been surprised by the warmth of the response. I suspect his agent was. I suspect it made him think, we’ve got to do something about this. We need these people to barrack him. We need to do an interview which separates him from them. This is the next step. It is the only step. We need to do something to bring this move about.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2013/08/it-makes-no-odds/

The interview looks to have been a calculated piece to drive a wedge between the fans and Suarez. Once that bond is broken then his position becomes untenable at the club. The fact he's willing to break that bond with us, actively seeking to turn Liverpool fans against him, after everything, to get a move to ****ing Arsenal of all places is something I can't quite wrap my head around at the moment.

Opr

• Advertisement

gafferino wrote: »
    Raif......you need to apply a filter to some of the stuff you post!!!!

Why??

Recently it has been mainly Liverpool related.

greendom wrote: »
    What would have been an uncheeky bid ? Bearing in mind the suppose "clause" ?

Clause is supposed to be confidential!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Arsenal spokesperson, hahah.

Otherwise knows as John Cross @ the Mirror...

fact is your not allowed to talk to a players agent end of................

talking to a players agent is tapping up and it doesnt matter who approached who. arsenal taking a gamble that there is a clause is too much of a coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

what time is the match this evening at ?

k.o. 18:00 Coverage starts at half 5

coverage on lfctv at 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

He seems to be getting a pasting from the British press today, good stuff. Maybe it will make him realise that he should heed the advice of his previous lies and get away from England altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I'd nearly sell Suarez to Arsenal if I knew they'd get knocked out before the Champions League group stages to spite the bugger.

Why??

Recently it has been mainly Liverpool related.

Ha ha im only messing....kind of :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

talking to a players agent is tapping up and it doesnt matter who approached who. arsenal taking a gamble that there is a clause is too much of a coincidence

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/9739320/Liverpools-embarrassing-apology-to-Fulham-sees-Clint-Dempsey-tapping-up-complaint-dropped.html

Type any big name club and you'll find an article. No point in being all moral against Arsenal.

I'd nearly sell Suarez to Arsenal if I knew they'd get knocked out before the Champions League group stages to spite the bugger.

hmmmm.....then he would go on and bang in 30 goals for them and get CL next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Pedalstool wrote: »
    The only positive I can see from Suarez joining Arsenal is that they'd be stuck with the C*nt.

Until next summer when he will want out of there because they have won **** all.

I wonder if we kept him until xmas could we get bigger money of one of the big CL clubs as he won't be tied in anyway?

What about the apparent release fee being bandied about in the media for almost 2 weeks beforehand?

RasTa wrote: »

the only problem with that saga was that the yanks didnt understand the transfer process. thats it. yes we have done wrong in the past but that means nothing. a team(arsenal) talking to an agent(of suarez) is illegal

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

opr wrote: »
    The TAW piece on the subject drills down to the bones of the fan reception thing.

The interview looks to have been a calculated piece to drive a wedge between the fans and Suarez. Once that bond is broken then his position becomes untenable at the club. The fact he's willing to break that bond with us, actively seeking to turn Liverpool fans against him, after everything, to get a move to ****ing Arsenal of all places is something I can't quite wrap my head around at the moment.

Opr

That thought actually occurred to me as well, although that wouldn't be verified unless he played in front of Liverpool fans again soon, which doesn't look like it's going to happen, as Saturday is his only other chance until Sep 21st. I know almost all the reactions are negative towards him (and rightly so) but if he comes out and claims now that he wants to leave because the fans have turned against him even I'll be impressed with the stage management of the operation.

He turned the support on Saturday into a positive for him almost, saying it showed the fans understood his position, when it meant the total opposite almost. It was a final plea to deaf ears that was last tried on Xabi Alonso just before he left for Madrid after a home pre season game, but obviously Xabi pushed through his move with considerably more class and decorum, although not in total silence either iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

If it wasnt for the algabra lesson going on for the last few hours, the reaction to this suaraga has actually been quite tame compared to the usual for this place. Imagine if the interview had broken at 00:01AM Monday. Result = Internet broken

What about the apparent release fee being bandied about in the media for almost 2 weeks beforehand?

as i said do you honestly believe a club would go on the word of paper talk without first making sure??

now maybe they did but earlier in the year there was talk that the clause was 35 million and i didnt hear of a 35 million bid on the table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Rodgers stated before the supposed injury that Suarez wouldn't play any of the rest of the preseason games as he wanted to prioritise the fitness of those players who'd be starting the season vs Stoke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement