Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Hoki wrote: »
    I could live with this

Luis Muriel + Eriksen + Cb = Suarez

What are you smoking??

We should be getting a top AM such as Muriel (we can pray) and a top CB any regardless of selling Suarez.

We have yet to spend any real money.

If we sell Suarez the money should be spent on ANOTHER two top players to try and make up for him.

So basically we should be signing two top players anyway and if we sell Suarez we should be getting 4!!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

If we're looking for an AM that scores goals I'd love us to sign Michu, he can play up top if needed as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Rodgers saying Suarez would be making a mistake if he joined Arsenal.
    “Would it be a mistake for Luis to leave Liverpool? Yes, 100 per cent,” Rodgers said. “I know what we are trying to build and grow here, so why would you swap Liverpool to go to Arsenal? I am not sure that it adds up to be honest.
    “Don’t get me wrong, Arsenal has a wonderful history in its own right, but Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world. I am sure Luis will have seen the sheer size and status of the club here [in Melbourne], so we’ll just see how it goes.”

“We are not in the Champions League and haven’t been for a while now, but we have to step up to the challenge,” Rodgers said. “And we would love to have him [Suárez] to continue with the next phase.
    “It is something to be given a team that is built around you. I made some big calls last year to make it work to suit his strengths and it is no coincidence he had a great season apart from the end bit.
    “It is difficult for Luis, I understand that. If a team wants you, it can be difficult. But it is a situation we are in control of because he has three years left on his contract. Unless something changes, or there is an offer which is heavily increased, he is still very much a Liverpool player.
    “And I can categorically say that the owners have been brilliant throughout this process. The board and club has stayed very strong. It is very simple. We don’t want to sell one of our best players.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10203108/Liverpools-Luis-Suarez-will-be-making-a-mistake-if-he-joins-Arsenal-says-Brendan-Rodgers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    If we're looking for an AM that scores goals I'd love us to sign Michu, he can play up top if needed as well.

If we tried to buy Michu WE'd get absolutely robbed on the fee

Former Liverpool striker John Aldridge has accused Luis Suarez of a "massive lack of loyalty" by his desire to leave the club.

Suarez is expected to hand in a formal transfer request to Liverpool, according to reports in his home country Uruguay, after Arsenal had a bid of £40million plus £1 for the striker rejected.

Aldridge, who scored 63 goals in 104 games for Liverpool, said Suarez owed a debt of gratitude to the club for sticking by him after his racism and biting controversies.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "There's a massive lack of loyalty there and especially the way Liverpool have stuck by Luis. Not everything's all about money.

"It's different with Luis Suarez because of the positions he's put Liverpool in over the last couple of years and they've stuck by him.

"The fans have been loyal, the manager's been loyal, his comrades have been loyal, and the hierarchy have been loyal to him. They've done everything in the powers possible to back him up and he's basically put a custard pie in everyone's face."

The Uruguay international is serving a 10-game ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic and previously was banned for eight matches for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

Arsenal's bid met the requirements of a clause in Suarez's contract which said the club had to inform the player if an offer of more than £40million was made.

Suarez and his representatives may yet argue that are now in a position to negotiate with the Gunners but Liverpool will try to reject that claim.

However, Suarez's agent Pere Guardiola told the club this month the player wants to play Champions League football and Liverpool's prospects of holding onto the 26-year-old appear slim.

Rodgers and managing director Ian Ayre were to hold further discussions with Suarez as the tour moved to Thailand today ahead of their third and final match of the trip in Bangkok on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

If this whole thing ends up in a dispute, with us losing out, it will just confirm some things for me. I honestly wouldnt be surprised to Tom Werner does another apology this time round.

As for Kenny going out on a limb, he did nothing any other manager wouldnt do for a star player. The t-shirt thing was done by the players. What Kenny never was is a 'politician', he is just a man with fairly simplistic ideals in the fact he wanted to just get a group of players feeling good about playing for LFC and allow them some leeway to do what they wanted regarding the t-shirts, what should have happened was Ian Ayre stepping in or whoever's remit PR was. Kenny was left hung out all that time. People forget that in a carefully worded letter, the Chelsea top brass let it be known that the players also wanted to wear t-shirts to support Terry, but it wasnt Ancelottis decision to stop it, that was made by people above him and thats what our spineless 'structure' let happen.

Absolute no doubt in my mind that aside from making money and tightening up team affairs these people above Rodgers havent got much of a 'scooby doo' about how sh1t works in the game. Learning on the job isnt good enough for this football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Kenny would probably punch him next time he see's him .

Or Wenger.

dalglish_wenger_1874970c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Leiva wrote: »
    the so called list of players if Suarez does go is..

Soldado
    Muriel
    Lamela
    Papadopoluosouspopolousos

pie in the sky but that would soften the blow.

The 4 of them for Suarez would be a fair swap

Liverpool have made Roberto Soldado their number one target to replace Luis Suarez, writes Darren Lewis and John Cross in Saitama.

The Reds are in a straight fight with dithering Spurs for Valencia’s £26million man as angry Suarez edges closer to a move to Arsenal. Liverpool have not yet made a bid to the Spain international’s club Valencia, but they are being helped by Spurs’ reluctance so far to meet his £26million asking price.

As reported by Mirror Sport, Spurs sent Technical Director Franco Baldini to Spain for talks over a £22million bid earlier this week but that was rejected.

Financially stricken Valencia want a deal done by August 3 for tax reasons.

Meanwhile, Suarez has told Liverpool he wants his future resolved in the next 48 hours.

The furious Uruguay striker held face-to-face talks with Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers yesterday after the club tried to block his £40million move to Arsenal.

Suarez made it clear to Rodgers, who is sticking by his £50m valuation, that he wants to leave Anfield and is keen to talk to Arsenal.

The 26-year-old claims his agent Pere Guardiola was told by the club that he would be allowed to negotiate a move if an offer was made of more than £35m - irrespective of the clause in his contract.

And Suarez, who flew with the rest of the Liverpool squad from Australia to Thailand, is understood to have voiced his frustration at Arsene Wenger’s £40,000,001 bid being rejected.

The player is allowed to conduct talks with Arsenal and his advisers may consult lawyers if the dispute over his contract turns ugly.

Sounds to familiar!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

daithijjj wrote: »
    If this whole thing ends up in a dispute, with us losing out, it will just confirm some things for me. I honestly wouldnt be surprised to Tom Werner does another apology this time round.

As for Kenny going out on a limb, he did nothing any other manager wouldnt do for a star player. The t-shirt thing was done by the players. What Kenny never was is a 'politician', he is just a man with fairly simplistic ideals in the fact he wanted to just get a group of players feeling good about playing for LFC and allow them some leeway to do what they wanted regarding the t-shirts, what should have happened was Ian Ayre stepping in or whoever's remit PR was. Kenny was left hung out all that time. People forget that in a carefully worded letter, the Chelsea top brass let it be known that the players also wanted to wear t-shirts to support Terry, but it wasnt Ancelottis decision to stop it, that was made by people above him and thats what our spineless 'structure' let happen.

Absolute no doubt in my mind that aside from making money and tightening up team affairs these people above Rodgers havent got much of a 'scooby doo' about how sh1t works in the game. Learning on the job isnt good enough for this football club.

So how did the likes of Abrahmovic, Glazer and Mansours who all had never owned football clubs before learn it and manage quite well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

murpho999 wrote: »
    How do these things actually go?

How do they 'step up interest'?

I dont understand why these things don't take 10 minutes over the phone.

"Is Player X for sale?"

"Only for €20m"

"Will ya take €15m?"

"No way"

"€18m?"

"Done"

I often wonder this myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So how did the likes of Abrahmovic, Glazer and Mansours who all had never owned football clubs before learn it and manage quite well?

Two of them spent half a billion euros and still messed things up.

The other had Fergie and the biggest football dynasty in quite some time and just sat back and skimmed money off the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How do these things actually go?

How do they 'step up interest'?

I dont understand why these things don't take 10 minutes over the phone.

"Is Player X for sale?"

"Only for €20m"

"Will ya take €15m?"

"No way"

"€18m?"

"Done"
    Tusky wrote: »
    I often wonder this myself.

Its a good question and one to which there is no answer because its all done by magic. If I'd been watching Being Liverpool more closely I might have a better idea, even in that players just seemed to materialise out of the either after one fax.

gosplan wrote: »
    Two of them spent half a billion euros and still messed things up.

The other had Fergie and the biggest football dynasty in quite some time and just sat back and skimmed money off the top.

They still had to learn on the job.

Just like in normal business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

billy2012 wrote: »
    What are you smoking??

We should be getting a top AM such as Muriel (we can pray) and a top CB any regardless of selling Suarez.

If we sell Suarez the money should be spent on ANOTHER two top players to try and make up for him.

So basically we should be signing two top players anyway and if we sell Suarez we should be getting 4!!

this is spot on, we should be adding someone of Soldado's ilk to the current squad let alone celebrating the thought of him replacing Suarez.

Its deals like this that will see the club standstill.

Most folks were anticipating a summer spend of around £25million net. Adding the Suarez money we would be looking at spending another 50million on top.

Some chance of us spending that.

They hired a battalion of people who know football inside out or inherited some.

Edit........some of those you mentioned have had a massive interest in football for a long time, ours didnt know we existed 2 months before they bought us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

They're better than you give them credit for. I think they've done their learning. We won't see a repeat, touch wood, of say Carroll's fee, the Chang appointment or the lack of leadership around the Evra incident.

City have had their own issues but have enough cash to deal with them - poor managers, Gary Cook, and so on.

ours didnt know we existed 2 months before they bought us.

Thats often how business, at that level, works. LFC is a business after all. Getting a business like LFC, at the price they did, means you have to move quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

this is spot on, we should be adding someone of Soldado's ilk to the current squad let alone celebrating the thought of him replacing Suarez.

Its deals like this that will see the club standstill.

Most folks were anticipating a summer spend of around £25million net. Adding the Suarez money we would be looking at spending another 50million on top.

Some chance of us spending that.

And a ~20m budget is relatively paltry to begin with. You'd expect the likes of Stoke and Sunderland to match that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

They still had to learn on the job.

Just like in normal business.

True but nistakes matter less when you can just buy your way out of them.

Ush I suspect you are wasting your finger movements with the Mr Negative crowd.

gosplan wrote: »
    True but nistakes matter less when you can just buy your way out of them.

FFP, has it gone away?

ush wrote: »
    They're better than you give them credit for. I think they've done their learning. We won't see a repeat, touch wood, of say Carroll's fee, the Chang appointment or the lack of leadership around the Evra incident.

You might be right, i forgot to add that they are great at apologising.

You seem very sure that all is well and competence has found a home at LFC. I will comment on it if and when i see it.

mike65 wrote: »
    The moronic inferno continues -

Yesterday Rory Smith twitted that LFC had run the rule over Luis Muriel, he then clarified
    that was an old link, nothing current. Today the Star runs with Liverpool in for Luis Muriel.

And now its in the Daily and Sunday Express. If enough media outlets run the story does it become true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Blatter wrote: »
    Independent are saying that Suarez and his agent are still adamant that they're in the right with regards the clause, and want the PL to mediate the deal between Arsenal and Liverpool.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/luis-suarez-pins-hopes-on-premier-league-settling-liverpoolarsenal-standoff-8732679.html

Why would the agent be so adamant that the 40 should be accepted? Club has said what he's worth and so the natural thing would be to meet in the middle.

The higher the fee the more money for the agent. So why would he want to push for mediation to force it through at 40 instead of focussing on finding a club willing to offer Liverpool more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

FFP, has it gone away?

Judging by what City spent this summer, it seems to be a waste of time/ punishing the wrong clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Sounds to familiar!!

That sounds like a load of tripe. You can tell by the way it's written.

I remain convinced we are not in for Soldado. Stories being put out there to push the price up for Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

What are you smoking??

THIS X 1000

It's interesting watching the cool aid drinkers adjust their expectations as the window goes on. All so they can keep saying "we're on the right track" & pretend that everything is rosey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

mike65 wrote: »
    And now its in the Daily and Sunday Express. If enough media outlets run the story does it become true?

I name dropped Muriel a few hours before Rory Smith mentioned him. A cycle of regurgitated garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

8-10 wrote: »
    The higher the fee the more money for the agent. So why would he want to push for mediation to force it through at 40 instead of focussing on finding a club willing to offer Liverpool more?

Maybe the agent is looking for a guaranteed payday, which he gets at 40mil - if the price goes up to 45/50mil Suarez mightn't move in this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

8-10 wrote: »
    Why would the agent be so adamant that the 40 should be accepted? Club has said what he's worth and so the natural thing would be to meet in the middle.

Seems that the agent tonight said that he understood that £35m was the figure that allowed Suarez to go elsewhere regardless of what is written in the contract.

Sounds like he is now trying to claim he thought he heard that said at some point.

Maybe Liverpool should tell Suarez that he has to waive his right to any loyalty bonus because they thought they heard him verbally give in a transfer request

You might be right, i forgot to add that they are great at apologising.

You seem very sure that all is well and competence has found a home at LFC. I will comment on it if and when i see it.

Well, LFC isn't waiting for the bailiffs to come round anymore.

I think a lot of the complaining about FSG, and the business side of things, comes from us being in the dark. Twitter rumours are flying and tabloid articles are getting posted. Agents and players lie. So people come on here demanding this or that from the owners. I'm content to let FSG play their hand close to their chest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well seeing as Suarez started this whole thing through Uruguayan media, the quotes taken from there should be given high credence. To restate the obvious, Arsenal makes no sense.

Offers over £50 Million and a transfer request (avoids paying a loyalty bonus, and he deserves no bonus if he joins Arsenal) is getting close to his top value. Just as some said pay the extra few million to get Mk, I'd say take the hit on a few million and let him go. If that avoids a Masch situation and him refusing to play, well worth it, plus other clubs not looking for a Carroll premium in the last few days of the window. Would make the Dempsey debacle look sane.

As for the lack of talk about targets, Twittermania is all about Suarez, those famed itk's are all digging up info about Suarez on the web, the true itk's would have stuff about Lfc transfer targets now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Maybe Liverpool should tell Suarez that he has to waive his right to any loyalty bonus because they thought they heard him verbally give in a transfer request

Surely that kind of thing would have to be on paper. But still would love to see that do it.

I'm content to let FSG play their hand close to their chest.

For how long?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    For how long?

Until they don't deserve it anymore. I'm not gonna demand that they throw a whole load of money at every problem they encounter. I'm not gonna insist they don't know what they're doing, when we have föck all insight into what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Surely that kind of thing would have to be on paper. But still would love to see that do it.

Yes it would have to be on paper, but my facetious point was that if the agent of Suarez wants to throw out figures that he thinks he heard and say that those figures are fact despite what is in the contract that he and his client went over, then the club should trot out the same sort of made up crap that Guardiola is doing.

Is amazing how similar the line of bull from Suarez/Guardiola at present is to the quotes from when Suarez was trying to force his move to Ajax. The same tactic of "this is what we understand the contract to mean regardless of what is actually in print" appears to be getting used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yes it would have to be on paper, but my facetious point was that if the agent of Suarez wants to throw out figures that he thinks he heard and say that those figures are fact despite what is in the contract that he and his client went over, then the club should trot out the same sort of made up crap that Guardiola is doing.

Is amazing how similar the line of bull from Suarez/Guardiola at present is to the quotes from when Suarez was trying to force his move to Ajax. The same tactic of "this is what we understand the contract to mean regardless of what is actually in print" appears to be getting used.

Guardiola should have paid more attention in his contract law lecture in fairness :D

I think he missed it understanding it was his lunch break :P

we have föck all insight into what they're doing.

Nonsense. They're here 3 years now.

-Stadium issue, still not near sorting
    -Obsession with only spending money on unproven young players
    -Embarrassing TV show
    -Hiring someone the ilk of Rodgers
    -Slashing the wage bill window after window seemingly
    -Refusing to sanction tiny deals for players of a certain age
    -Seemingly entertaining the notion of selling our best player to a rival

They're no G&H but from a fans pov they're not doing a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Those latest quotes from Rodger's seem a pretty clear indication that he's told him he wants to join Arsenal. After meeting up with the squad, talking to the manager and then seeing/hearing that stadium with 95,000 singing YNWA half way around the world hasn't changed his mind it's hard to see any chance of him staying.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

-Embarrassing TV show

Isn't the stadium being redone alongside the surrounding area soon enough?

-Embarrassing TV show

Stadium issue has made progress. There was a lot to sort out, in fairness.
    The ilk of Rodgers? Its that bad for you, is it.
    TV show was for yanks. We live in a globalised world now.
    Wage bill was a joke. Non-performing assets get shifted. Business sense.
    Selling to a rival. We'll see how that plays out.

Upgrading Anfield was always going to be a timely exercise. They appear to have brought the Council around from their preferred new build option. UK planning guidelines are as puzzling as Irish ones, just for opposite reasons. The UK seems to history list everything, Ireland just brings the bull dozer in.

Agreed.
    -Embarrassing TV show

It hardly means much in the scheme of things.

Done, no point going over it yet again.

Carroll 80k a week, Downing the same or more, Bellamy big bucks, Gerrard, Carra and Kuyt.

Everybody agreed that was a feck up, though hindsight might be right, and holding of on Dempsey and splurging £20 Million on Coutinho and Sturridge may prove a smarter move.

Way too early to tell. Suarez wanting to go to Arsenal will say a lot about him, I always thought Torres was understandable, even Kenny couldn't convince him. Suarez would look an imbecile going to a British club, the club would come out of it fine once it gets loadsamoney, and a transfer request.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

-Embarrassing TV show

Clearing debt
    Increased sponsorship
    Better deal for jerseys.
    Better Scouting
    Stadium Issue resolved, haven't you heard that Anfield is being redeveloped
    Slashing wage bill by getting rid of the likes of Joe Cole.
    Learning from mistake of trusting Comoli and Dalglish with transfers
    Not a hint of bid from Arsenal being entertained but they may be legally obliged to sell.
    TV show to raise club profile in US, everyone has forgotton about except for some easily embarrassed internet warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

-Embarrassing TV show

Seriously lopsided viewpoint to suit your own argument

For all the talk of the wage bill slashed, where's the evidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I have to say no matter how this sorry mess turns out, he should fire his representatives. He wasn't putting the Real Madrid stuff out into the world earlier this summer without someone having a word in his ear. It all seemed quite calculated and it looks like being a chase the rainbow exercise so far.

His need to keep changing his story could also have been completely avoided and even spun in a way which might have been acceptable. Instead he tied himself up in knots with the original stuff about press intrusion but if he'd just come out and said in the beginning something like 'I had thoughts of leaving last summer and the club convinced me to give them another season to reach the CL but I've now given two and half years without playing CL football and I feel I'd like I need at this stage in my career to compete at the highest level', then everyone I think would have been far more understanding. Top footballers like this should have media savvy people around them to coach them on question like this before press conferences.

Now his representatives seem to be spreading even more lies about his contract in order to try and engineer the situation. They have let him down it seems from all angles.

Opr

K-9 wrote: »
    For all the talk of the wage bill slashed, where's the evidence?

The accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Besides Suarez, who have FSG signed that you could say is world class?

Sturridge and Coutinho can't come into it yet as half a season doesn't make a player world class.

The answer is nobody.

I am willing to support Rodgers and have done since he became manager but they took one massive gamble in hiring him ahead of Benitez, Hiddink or Van Gaal.

My opinion, they haven't a clue about football, not one single clue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement