Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'd sell Agger for £25M if I could bring in Alderweirld for £7M.

Why has nobody moved for alderweireld yet? 7-8mil is small money. Is he any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

opr wrote: »
    Luis Suarez will be told to train separately from the rest of the squad until he shows more respect for the club. (Guardian)

Opr

Proper ******* order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That song ruined everyones understanding of the word.

But it made Ed Byrne's career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Luis Suarez will be told to train separately from the rest of the squad until he shows more respect for the club. (Guardian)

Opr

Are we honestly still trying to keep him? Hes finished at Liverpool. Hes a world class player but a wordclass **** also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

This is going to get more interesting before this transfer saga unravels. Suarez is either playing a great game of poker & ends up at Real Madrid for under 40mill sterling or we are stuck with Tevez Mark II for the season with him possibly going awol to Uruguay.

Anything is Possible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Opr

He's gone so...

It's just a matter of where and when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Opr

Good ... we should let him sit out a year in the reserves too ...

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Why has nobody moved for alderweireld yet? 7-8mil is small money. Is he any good?

Can't go wrong for that sorta dosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

But it made Ed Byrne's career

Ugghhh. I actually dislike the somg now.

The Suarez stuff translates into Luis Suarez has been told to train alone because he will be sold soon. I just hope there is something concrete to the Real links cos the twitter page posted here looks like little more than a fansite.

Also wonder if they will stick up any sad photos of Luis training alone like they did with Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Rodger's on Suarez after the game.
    Meanwhile, journalists assembled at the Ullevaal Stadium quizzed Rodgers about Luis Suarez.

The manager replied: "My conversations with players will always remain private. I'll never disclose any conversation between a player and I.

"In terms of the remarks that were made, this is a football club that has always worked a certain way. The Liverpool Way is all about a club with ambition, a club that strives to be the very best, a club that is about commitment - that means that everyone is committed to the cause of fighting for the shirt.

"It's also about dignity and being dignified in how you speak about the club, on and off the field, and it's about unity.

"Those are the four values that run through my mind when I think about Liverpool. Those are the values we will always retain. If anyone steps outside of that standard, I will deal with it. That's something that we'll do.

"It means that we have a standard at Liverpool that I will fight for my life to retain. There will never be any player or person bigger than the club."

Rodgers continued: "Professionally, Luis Suarez has given me everything since I came into the football club, but there is obviously a way in which you have to speak. This is a club that has offered Luis Suarez the utmost respect since the day he walked through the door.

"That's something that over the course of the coming weeks you need to have when you work for Liverpool Football Club. You've got supporters and players that have given Luis Suarez absolutely everything - they backed him to the hilt.

"Even at the weekend, when we had Steven Gerrard's testimonial game, the supporters raised the roof for him. That's something that I will always fight to retain at the football club, because that is what Liverpool is about - respect, humility and real dignity."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/142015-br-on-valerenga-aspas-and-suarez

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Out of interest how much would it cost Suarez in loyalty payments etc were he to submit a written transfer request ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Out of interest how much would it cost Suarez in loyalty payments etc were he to submit a written transfer request ?

Seemingly about £2.5 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rodgers seems pretty pissed about it.

Good, about time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Vicxas wrote: »
    Rodgers seems pretty pissed about it.

Good, about time.

I'd say he was pissed weeks ago but once again he has played this beautifully.

If it doesn't work out as manager he could handle our PR :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

The club and the manager have managed it all superbly so far imo.

klose wrote: »

Apart from rodgers insinuating arsenal have no class while Henry asks what we're smoking you mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Rogers has been impressive lately. He is trying to get a team ready for the new season and has had to deal with this Suarez saga at the same time. It cant be easy keeping the young players focused with all this going on around them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Apart from rodgers insinuating arsenal have no class while Henry asks what we're smoking you mean.

Can you link to the quote where Rodgers said Arsenal have no class?

It's still not sorted with 10 days to go until season kicks off so I wouldn't say the club have handled it great tbh.

Sound bites are great but it doesn't solve the holes in our first team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

klose wrote: »

I do like how they have handled it so far on the surface.

But it ultimately depends whether they promised to allow him to go last summer or not.

You could also ask whether FSG's strategy so far in terms of primarily being concerned with lowering the wage bill and appointing a relatively inexperienced manager has resulted in Suarez believing that the club is lacking ambition.

• Advertisement

PRAF wrote: »
    Can you link to the quote where Rodgers said Arsenal have no class?

I said he insinuated it. Which he did.
    As for henrys tweet he's put himself in a position where he may have to face an embarrassing turn around.
    He should have just stayed quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

As far as I'm aware Ayre told Gazidis that no clause existed that allowed Suarez to leave for £40 million, but Arsenal very publicly lodged a bid anyway the next day. That was the cause of so much anger from the Liverpool management.

Its been proven since, no clause exists that allows Suarez to leave for £40 million.

If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be asking myself, do I really want someone like him at my club? Imagine the focus there will be on him. He will cause Arsenal problems like he has done at every club he's been at.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Think what you may about Rodgers as a coach, but he just layeth the smacketh down on that eejit's candy ass. Well done on his comments.

Pedalstool wrote: »
    If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be asking myself, do I really want someone like him at my club? Imagine the focus there will be on him. He will cause Arsenal problems like he has done at every club he's been at.

agree, talentwise he's a ten, but cuntwise he's also a ten.

Van Persie is an eleven. On the second scale

The decision to make Suarez train on his own away from the first team squad isn't due to the interview he gave earlier this week.

Instead it's punishment for what Rodgers deems to be the poor attitude he has shown during friendly matches and training sessions recently.

Taken from an article in the Echo. Explosive stuff.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fcs-luis-suarez-showing-5677358

As for henrys tweet he's put himself in a position where he may have to face an embarrassing turn around.

I vaguely remember seeing a headline along those lines. However when I read the article I just thought it was an incorrect and sensationalist headline. Would be happy to reconsider my opinion if you could kindly post the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's irony.

Well it is a little bit since most of the digs are at the fact they haven't won anything since 2005

But what about if Liverpool not once but multiple times said there was no clause of the sort or something along those lines to what is coming out tonight. It really seems Arsenal very well decided to ignore that and listen to a player and agent who are known serial liars. While I agree, despite it being a tad funny even you got to admit, it was probably unneeded, frustration got the better of him over this entire mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

As far as I'm aware Ayre told Gazidis that no clause existed that allowed Suarez to leave for £40 million, but Arsenal very publicly lodged a bid anyway the next day. That was the cause of so much anger from the Liverpool management.

Its been proven since, no clause exists that allows Suarez to leave for £40 million.

So what if arsenal bid? Is that against the rules now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Think what you may about Rodgers as a coach, but he just layeth the smacketh down on that eejit's candy ass. Well done on his comments.

The Rodgers layin the smack dnwn, ha, ha, hah.

RasTa wrote: »
    Well it is a little bit since most of the digs are at the fact they haven't won anything since 2005

Not sure if you referring to my joke post or not. But it was just that, a joke. One of which many Arsenal fans including the ones I personally consider the good ones when it comes to their thoughts on football have resorted to as well. Just a bit of, ugh I hate this word with a passion, banter.

I have a fair bit of time for Arsenal (some of their younger fans or fans from my generation growing up with aside :)) in the grand scheme of things, though this Suarez mess had muddied it somewhat I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

Luis Suarez has been banished to the Liverpool FC wilderness for what his furious boss Brendan Rodgers has branded “a total lack of respect”, writes David Maddock in Oslo.

The disgraced striker will be forced to train on his own after his astonishing outburst - cynically designed to engineer a move away from Liverpool - provoked the wrath of his manager and the club’s owners.

Feelings are running so high at the Anfield giants that it is understood chairman John Henry has vowed ‘never to sell Suarez to Arsenal’.

The South American has accused Rodgers of “lying”, but the Reds manager insisted he is so angry not because of the personal attack, but because Suarez has shown so little respect to the club and to his team-mates, both with his comments and with his attitude.

And now, even though Arsenal, who have controversially offered £40m plus one pound, will be told to forget any prospect of a deal after the saga's latest twist, the only way the controversial striker will play for Liverpool again is if he makes a public apology.

“I will take strong, decisive action, absolutely. There has been total disrespect of the club - this is a lack of respect of a club that has given him everything. Absolutely everything,” Rodgers insisted after a friendly win over Valerenga here in Norway.

“There were no promises made - categorically none - and no promises broken. Obviously, the remarks I’ve read, it is bitterly disappointing - but my job is bigger than that. My job is to fight and protect the club.

“We have a standard at Liverpool and I will fight for my life to retain it. The Liverpool Way is all about being committed to the cause and fighting for the shirt. It’s also about dignity and being dignified in how you speak about the club. And it’s about unity.

“If anyone steps outside of those values then I have to deal with it.”

The Reds boss believes his controversial forward has now forfeited the right to train with the first team after showing such disdain for the squad, and such an apparent indifference to the needs of his team-mates.

There has been real anger within the squad in recent days, largely because of the unsettling effect the whole situation has had on the build up to the season, and the way Suarez has acted in training and even in pre-season matches.

The player hardly helped himself with his team-mates when he failed to show for Steven Gerrard’s testimonial dinner, and Rodgers explained that the Uruguayan will now have to show remorse to the rest of the players to find a way back.

“Is there a way back? We first of all need to assess where it’s at at this moment things have been said that are derogatory against the football club and his team-mates and the supporters,” he added.

“There’s a few bridges to cross before that can happen (play for LFC again). It’s about the respect, that’s the only thing we look for. This is one of the most iconic football clubs in the world, you can’t disrespect it.

“That’s something I will ensure before anything happens in the future. That bridge will need to be crossed.”

Henry and his fellow owner Tom Werner have backed Rodgers’ stance to the hilt, and privately they have indicated they are furious with the player... and determined to stop him forcing a move to Arsenal.

Liverpool are supremely confident there is no clause in his contract allowing him to leave - a view corroborated by PFA chief Gordon Taylor on Wednesday - and if Suarez is to be sold, then it will have to be to another club.

Rodgers though, insisted he has no need to sell, despite the player’s comments:

“The reality is we don’t want to sell Luis Suarez, it’s as simple as that. He is important for what we are trying to do. There have been a couple of offers but no promises broken - that’s the reality.

“I don’t believe there is a clause in his contract that says he can leave for any sort of price.

“I will deal with it.

“We can understand if he wants to play in the Champions League - but that doesn’t mean we’ve broken any promise.

“What we are trying to do now is get the correct value for a player, but we know we don’t have to sell him.”

Rodgers also dismissed suggestions Barcelona have made a bid for defender Daniel Agger, and the club insisted there have been no offers for the Dane from any team.

From the Mirror.

PRAF wrote: »
    I vaguely remember seeing a headline along those lines. However when I read the article I just thought it was an incorrect and sensationalist headline. Would be happy to reconsider my opinion if you could kindly post the link

http://balls.ie/football/the-twitter-reaction-to-john-w-henry-asking-what-theyre-smoking-at-arsenal
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/04/luis-suarez-arsenal-liverpool-rodgers

I don't really care what Arsenal do to be honest. Great club, great history, I wish them well.

Rasta fighting Arsenal's corner. The most comical thing I've seen in here in a long time.

• Advertisement

I don't really care what Arsenal do to be honest. Great club, great history, I wish them well.

Oh right sorry I picked it up wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

RasTa wrote: »

That would be hypocrisy, that's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Actually it is if it involves inside knowledge of a contract, Liverpool themselves have been guilty of this in the past with Christian Ziege

Actually it is if it involves inside knowledge of a contract, Liverpool themselves have been guilty of this in the past with Christian Ziege

Or Costas release clause Liverpool triggered?

Noone knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Brendan Rodgers has been absolutely magnificent throughout all of this. He's really grown into the role of Liverpool manager in the last few weeks.

Top quality.

• Advertisement

Or Costas release clause Liverpool triggered?

Noone knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Costas release clause actually is open knowledge as they are regularly negotiated in Spain. In the Ziege and Suarez cases they fall under FA Premier League rules where inside knowledge is against the English FA rules, VERY different in Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

jacksparrow I think the issue most people have with the Arsenal bid is the £1.

It may have been meant to be witty or shrewd or something but came across kinda smart-arse. Like Devilman40k says, its kinda saying we knew about the clause and wanted to rub it in your face

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm guessing one of the reasons why Rodgers didn't say whether he told Suarez he could leave this summer is in part because if he were to say he didn't it would make it utterly impossible surely to reconcile if each was saying the other was lying. It looks unlikely there will be an amicable solution now anyhow, but as with all things in football, nothing is certain.

Edit: seems he did refute the claims that there were promises made. Good to see.

The one message that seems to be coming through loud and clear from Liverpool is that no matter what, he will not join Arsenal.

jacksparrow I think the issue most people have with the Arsenal bid is the £1.

It may have been meant to be witty or shrewd or something but came across kinda smart-arse

What were they meant to bid? 41 million?

That's like offering 11 thousand for a car worth 10,5.

It was meant to trigger a clause arsenal thoughteexisted.

Why would they try be smart arse?

Give me one good reason how that would benefit them?

Brendan Rodgers has been absolutely magnificent throughout all of this. He's really grown into the role of Liverpool manager in the last few weeks.

Top quality.

You just know there are people, Liverpool supporters out there finding fault with it though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

jr230713liverpool-55-5326064.jpg

had to post the pic from that echo article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Rasta fighting Arsenal's corner. The most comical thing I've seen in here in a long time.

What are you talking about, I made one comment. Fail to see how that's so comical.

So Rodgers said he thought Arsenal had class but thought they were being a bit cheeky in bidding 40m plus 1 pound for Suarez. Accused them of playing games. Perhaps a bit of a dig but nothing more than that.

What were they meant to bid? 41 million?

That's like offering 11 thousand for a car worth 10,5.

It was meant to trigger a clause arsenal thoughteexisted.

Why would they try be smart arse?

Give me one good reason how that would benefit them?

It won't and could backfire spectacularly on Arsenal now if the rumours as to FSG's (and in particular John Henry's ) response to this are true, I wouldn't be surprised to see a complaint made against Arsenal very shortly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement