Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Anyone else hear a faint noise there an hour or so back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Nice lift LL. Fair play to Rodgers, imo his actions and words are befitting of a Liverpool manager however successful or unsuccessful he turns out to be on the pitch. However, we really need some more quality in the first team, now more than ever. At the same time I do reckon a galvanised squad with a lucky run of (non) injuries could still do us proud (relatively).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

Wasn't referring to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Was it my alarm clock? Glad someone heard it...I didn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Milkers wrote: »
    Nice lift LL. Fair play to Rodgers, imo his actions and words are befitting of a Liverpool manager however successful or unsuccessful he turns out to be on the pitch. However, we really need some more quality in the first team, now more than ever. At the same time I do reckon a galvanised squad with a lucky run of (non) injuries could still do us proud (relatively).

After the performance yesterday (albeit against weak opposition) im happy with our fringe players and how they can be rotated in and out of the sqaud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The other shoe?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

1097964_10151840501528278_966989186_n.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I thought it was me being fickle, but it was just someone else being smug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    One man's word against another where neither witness could be considered reliable. What was said and what was meant are still unknown as far as I'm concerned.

Nevertheless, it was not an incident blown out of proportion. It was a very serious incident regardless of who was to blame and I can't believe you are still trying to defend his position although all subsequent evidence (whether you choose to believe it or not) showed otherwise.

Suarez's behaviour both before and since has hardly strengthened anyone's belief in his character either.

Anyway, I'll leave it there so as not to bring it back to those dark days of tearing each others throats out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

how wonderful to see that the club has taken proper control of the Suarez situation. good enough for him.

good enough for Arsenal too. if this is not an issue for reporting i don't know what is.

now that it's dealt with until an approach from a foreign club comes in, Rodgers and his transfer committee can focus on signing the 2 or 3 players we desperately need, if not by the start of the season, certainly by the end of the transfer window.

it's imperative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's so weird that this person who Pool fans, to a man, defended through two absolutely disgusting episodes is now being pilloried by those same people.

Fickle much?

Is he not still "misunderstood"? Or is that only when it suits? Bizarre to say the least.

Yeah, cos no other football fans defend their own!

You know how football fans work, guy is a hero no matter what when he is scoring goals and kissing the badge. Minute he wants out he is the devil himself.

It's not just Liverpool fans you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

SlickRic wrote: »
    how wonderful to see that the club has taken proper control of the Suarez situation. good enough for him.

good enough for Arsenal too. if this is not an issue for reporting i don't know what is.

now that it's dealt with until an approach from a foreign club comes in, Rodgers and his transfer committee can focus on signing the 2 or 3 players we desperately need, if not by the start of the season, certainly by the end of the transfer window.

it's imperative.

If we don't sign quality players (and keep Sturridge fit) we are absolutely fooked!

I wonder if Suarez's actions are to drive down his price and pave the way for Operation Lowball from Madrid...

Remember this guy does anything to win..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Brendan Rodgers has won a lot of people over with his stance and quotes on Suarez/Arsenal.

Talk yesterday of Skrts staying could mean we're not getting Papa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Corvo wrote: »
    Nevertheless, it was not an incident blown out of proportion. It was a very serious incident regardless of who was to blame and I can't believe you are still trying to defend his position although all subsequent evidence (whether you choose to believe it or not) showed otherwise.

Suarez's behaviour both before and since has hardly strengthened anyone's belief in his character either.

Anyway, I'll leave it there so as not to bring it back to those dark days of tearing each others throats out.

There was no conclusive evidence that there was an incident! Evra got upset (or feigned upset) at something Suarez said, but what it was that was said or what was meant by what was said is not in evidence other than the testiomony of the two involved. It would have been thrown out of a court of law in two minutes basically.

Now, if at least one of the players involved were highly reputable individuals of impeccable character, well, it might have been worth some of the hand wringing.

Anyway, many people have accepted the media narrative as fact. Some of us won't. I'd accept that it is 'agree to disagree' territory for sure at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Was watching press review on LFCtv last night. They had Northcrort from the Times & Jones from the Echo on it. It seems it was Suarez that approached the paper for that interview the other day. The reason it was the Telegraph & Guardian is that they both have Spanish based journos (Sid Lowe for the Guardian & Peter Jenson for the Telegraph) & they both speak fluent Spanish , so nothing would be lost in translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    The first one was a non incident blown out of proportion. The second was an instinctive rush of blood to the head from a player who operates on the insanity line on the pitch.

Don't forget the first one was compounded & made worse by his refusal to shake hands also which caused more problems for the club.
    Originally Posted by niallo27 View Post
    Anyone else forgive the bloke if he comes out and apologises, we all make mistakes.

The charge sheet against him is getting very long now & it's becoming more & more difficult to support him throughout it all. The club have to do so to protect their asset & his value, but they are doing it well at the moment IMO in very difficult circumstances. He's a very difficult character to deal with.

We should talk about the Suarez race row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Either Rodgers just came across as handling the situation well, or suarez is already out the door and he's not molly codling him any more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Apparently Skertl has been impressive in pre season this year and himself and Rodgers had clear the air talks. Also Agger apparently has bigged up Skertl and his partnership with him so there is a chance he might stay.

It would be good to sign Papa still if the above turns out to be true as he is quite an effective DM.

A lot of teams are struggling in this window with teams like Utd and Arsenal obsessing over certain players that they dont look like getting, Liverpool had a good pre season, if they have a positive end to the window by adding some quality, coupled with a decent set of opening fixtures they could really kick on.

Was watching press review on LFCtv last night. They had Northcrort from the Times & Jones from the Echo on it. It seems it was Suarez that approached the paper for that interview the other day. The reason it was the Telegraph & Guardian is that they both have Spanish based journos (Sid Lowe for the Guardian & Peter Jenson for the Telegraph) & they both speak fluent Spanish , so nothing would be lost in translation.

Suarez did approach them. There was a piece in the Guardian yesterday confirming this.

El Spearo wrote: »
    Either Rodgers just came across as handling the situation well, or suarez is already out the door and he's not molly codling him any more

Ha, I'd say that's it to be honest. He's so fickle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I hope we stick Suarez in the reserves for the year and he misses out on the World Cup (They'd still pick him, but we can hope).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I hope he plays for us, scores a bag load of goals, we get champions league and we sell him for £55million personally

I would much rather Liverpool do well than Suarez missing a world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

You could say Rodgers handled it well but it's still a load of double speak and bu****it coming from the club. From the "what are they smoking over there" tweet to "he's not going anywhere" statement we now see that he is training alone and I bet £1 he will leave for not much more than £40m. I think we have been outplayed in the market yet again.

doc_17 wrote: »
    You could say Rodgers handled it well but it's still a load of double speak and bu****it coming from the club. From the "what are they smoking over there" tweet to "he's not going anywhere" statement we now see that he is training alone and I bet £1 he will leave for not much more than £40m. I think we have been outplayed in the market yet again.

All those statements point the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The tweet is one of the reasons I'd be very surprised if we caved and sold him for £40m + £1. Hnery would look like a right clown then and I doubt he wants that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Is there anything more the club could have done at this point, in your opinion?

• Advertisement

With supporters like you....! 40 m is good enough for Real Madrid (slightly less might well be) but NOT Arsenal. They will have to set a non Spanish Transfer Record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

The tweet is one of the reasons I'd be very surprised if we caved and sold him for £40m + £1. Henry would look like a right clown then and I doubt he wants that.

If we could include a player in the mix (Coentrao please?), we can overvalue that player to make it seem like we got a good deal. Let's say £30M plus Fabio?

Dreaming, I know, but I could see that happening to increase the perceived fee...

The PFA have released the details of contract/clause.
    Im on my phone so I cant link. If I was Suarez I'd be thinking about a new agent/advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Seriously why would the club say that he was for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Im on my phone so I cant link. If I was Suarez I'd be thinking about a new agent/advisor.

Too late in the transfer window to do that. But it Taylor and the PFA can understand it...

Nice of the PFA to speak openly about details in a players contract so openly. Do you want to tell the world his salary and bonuses while you are at it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Definitely. The one party coming out of this worse than Suarez is his agent, Pere Guardiola.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I wonder if Suarez's actions are to drive down his price and pave the way for Operation Lowball from Madrid...

Remember this guy does anything to win..

This is exactly what I think he was trying to do! I'm not sure (haven't spoken to him in a while ;) !!) that he really wants to go to Arsenal but if we accept a bid from Arsenal then Real can come in and offer the same, or more likely less, and we are much more likely to sell to them!

Seems like a handy enough case.

kTsXY.gif

statement from Taylor
    PFA: Liverpool do not have to sell

Professional Footballers’ Association chief executive Gordon Taylor has revealed that Luis Suarez’s contract does not require Liverpool to sell the striker.

The PFA were brought in to help settle the contractual dispute between Suarez and the club – Arsenal bid over £40 million for the striker under the impression that it would trigger a release clause written in the Uruguayan’s contract.

Suarez claimed to the media this week that Liverpool are not honouring terms written into his deal that states that he has a buy-out clause and that he was promised he could leave to a club competing in the Champions League.

However, Taylor has told the Press Association that the contract clearly states that a bid of £40 million will initiate negotiations rather than an immediate sale.

He said, “If you are going to have a supposed buy-out clause it should be that, but it is different as it says if there is no qualification for the Champions League, and if there is a minimum offer of £40 million, then the parties will get around the table to discuss things but it does not say the club has to sell.

“It quite clearly states £40 million is a minimum offer for discussions, but it becomes really difficult with such clauses. There is a ‘good faith’ clause in relation to serious discussions but I can’t say it is cast-iron buy-out clause.

“Luis is one of our members and we want to be supportive, however, he may well have thought such an offer would trigger a move. The interpretation is not that simple by any means and there is no guarantee of getting a (successful) result if it is referred to the Premier League.

“I just feel like in any other transfer it is better for both parties to get around the table to try to resolve it.

“You are hoping the club say ‘If you are determined to go this is the figure we are looking at but if you are prepared to stay another year and you still want to go we will accept this much’.

“At the moment it is certainly festering and I don’t think it is a good situation for the player or the clubs involved.

“It is not edifying and that is why I feel we had to do our best to get round the table and see if there are grounds for consideration for the move but it (the clause) is not specific and 100% certain.

“We are in touch with both parties to try to see if some resolution can be achieved that is satisfactory to both sides.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

The club have played a blinder in this saga, and anyone who think otherwise are just anti-FSG. Rodgers, Ayre & FSG have my full backing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Looks like suarez was duped, can't really blame him if he acts up.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »

By who? Liverpool or his agent? His agents job (along with any legal representative - which he should have) is to read and understand a contract in every respect.

It looks like his agent messed up. Not LFC's fault if the other side didnt understand the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

By who? Himself? His agent? Certainly not the club.

If I get a new contract in work I make sure im 100% happy with everything in it before signing. His own making tbh.

Wanting to join a team we're trying out best to catch, I wouldn't care if he was being duped.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Duped me hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ah Orange is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

While were all congratulating LFC, Ayre and Rodgers for the whole Suarez saga, the team as a whole is still short of a few key players to help us knock on the door of the top four, with 25 days left in the window, I hope to god we aren't left short like we were at the end of the window last year!

Still, happy with how they have handled the whole thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

While were all congratulating LFC, Ayre and Rodgers for the whole Suarez saga, the team as a whole is still short of a few key players to help us knock on the door of the top four, with 25 days left in the window, I hope to god we aren't left short like we were at the end of the window last year!

Still, happy with how they have handled the whole thing

Well one person has caused a big distraction in the club, maybe when that is dealt with things will move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

So if himself and his agent have misunderstood the contract and its clauses, what are the chances of a transfer request being handed in to force a move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He needs to get a new Agent then if he is easily duped

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement