Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Reading some of the stuff on twitter, it's amazing how much it is a larger version of here in some ways. I follow about 150, mostly LFC related accounts, and while some would hold the same views as me, some are at either end of the spectrum as well. The most ardent Rodgers fanboy on there though that I've seen has to be a lad who posts as Kopology. He thinks Allen is the best midfielder at the club and that he will be a huge success this season, for example, and will hear no criticism of anything Rodgers/FSG do. I don't really follow any as stringent as Lloyd or Alan in the other direction, but the same arguments play out everywhere it seems.

The better thing about here though is that the morons that populate twitter are far worse than even the worst people who have ever posted here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Suarez needs to go asap so we can sort this ****ing squad out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ticketmaster has a few seats on their own for the Celtic game popping up every half hour or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Juve have come out and said that they have 6 strikers and need to get rid of two

Anything to be said for a bid for this guy - Sebastian Giovinco

We were linked with him a few summers ago and he looks to have what Rodgers would look for, bullish, fast, quick feet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Suarez out and Costa + a cover left back in and you can go away passing off the summer as "average" imo.

Well if you read the post I said i disagree with it being an appalling summer so far. It has been average as I said and we still need 2 more at least.

I dont know what will happen in the coming 4 weeks or so with regards to Suarez/Costa or whoever else so I am obviously not including that in what I have called an average summer so far.

So you can 'go away' and read the posts as they are and not put words in my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No ta to Italians, they don't work out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

D'Agger wrote: »
    Juve have come out and said that they have 6 strikers and need to get rid of two

We were linked with him a few summers ago and he looks to have what Rodgers would look for, bullish, fast, quick feet

Italians at LFC worry me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

D'Agger wrote: »

Yes please. Not a striker but a very good player who would be able to slot into any of the wide attacking roles as well as into the AM. Shaqiri would be very similar to him in stature and playing style.

Plus he is so small that centre backs would not notice him hiding in the grass. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Whats the cut off for CL football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Lloyd with us not having CL to attract a certain calibre of player.

Players already in, Costa + left back cover being average.

What would you class as a good to great summer ?

Before the window.
    We knew we needed a starting central defender to play with Agger. Not achieved so far.

We knew we needed a replacement for Carragher. Replaced with Toure.
    Needed a left back, cover or imo a starter better than Enrique. Not achieved although it looks like cover will be bought.

Needed an attacking player to contribute goals/creativity. Missed out on Mhkitaryyan, but probably strengthened squad with Alberto and Aspas.

Imo we needed a central midfileder to offer competition with Lucas/Gerrard but it seems Rodgers does not see this as an area that needs addressing.

Also if and when Suarez goes he'll need to be replaced.

So by my reckoning, we're still short a cb, lb, cm, am/st. I really am starting to get worried with the window running out and the noises coming out about finding it hard to attract players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Vicxas wrote: »
    Whats the cut off for CL football?

Fourth place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Carragher talking about him on Sky Sports News atm. Needs subtitles.

Draw is at 12.30, sorry for bum steer earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Managed to pick up a ticket there, where are they picked up on the day does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

NukaCola wrote: »
    I wish people will stop with this nonsense.
    Look at who Spurs have brought in without CL.

That's a false comparison, Spurs were able to bring in those players because they were on the cusp of or had qualified for the champs league for the last 4-5 years so the risk reward ratio was just right for the spurs board to cough up the funds and for the players in question to take that leap of faith that they would be the player to push them on from challenging to qualifying.

When we prove ourselves capable of challenging consistently as Spurs have for the last few years (I believe we may challenge this year, but will likely fall short) we will be in for those sort of players and they will be willing to come.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just read that J Spearing has agreed terms with Bolton and on his way to a medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Bye Bye Spearing, hope you point that finger like crazy in the Championship!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There's even been an image released of the hospital where the medical is taking place

42402d9faae1623aa7134e9c9d65e5c3.jpg

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=cT6_cXeYRET8kM&tbnid=jWfOPCNNBxJmBM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.woodentoyschina.com%2Fpretend-play-toys-hospital-53.html&ei=gnwDUu_tJ6Sd0QW5rIHoCw&bvm=bv.50500085,d.d2k&psig=AFQjCNEc0UzBjmPeXHYgdm0JpjT0GTanaQ&ust=1376046578036977

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Yakult wrote: »
    Suarez needs to go asap so we can sort this ****ing squad out.

separate issues.

we can, and should, be doing both at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Whilst all this has been going on, has there been any hint of a transfer in anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

NukaCola wrote: »
    I wish people will stop with this nonsense.
    Look at who Spurs have brought in without CL.

Big difference in attration for players between Liverpool and London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just read that J Spearing has agreed terms with Bolton and on his way to a medical.

I would say we got the fee we were holding out for. He wanted Bolton, they have lost Holden for the season, and the fans (and players I am sure) will welcome him with open arms.

Now THAT is how to handle a transfer.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ticketmaster has a few seats on their own for the Celtic game popping up every half hour or so.

No Luis so people ditching tickets, or those League of Ireland fans who bought alot trying to fleese barstoolers cant flog them for what they expected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

murpho999 wrote: »
    Whilst all this has been going on, has there been any hint of a transfer in anywhere?

I think the Cissokho rumours were knocking about.....loan with option to buy. Cover for LB I suppose and unlikely to be a starter.

Dickerty wrote: »
    I would say we got the fee we were holding out for. He wanted Bolton, they have lost Holden for the season, and the fans (and players I am sure) will welcome him with open arms.

Now THAT is how to handle a transfer.

I think that the Bolton fans had some sort of petition for him and were singing his name last weekend at thier opening game of the season.

At least he's not gone to Blackburn, I'm glad that the club and Jay didn't try to push ahead for that move. I personally (others might agree) think that the running of that club in the last year or so has been a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gafferino wrote: »
    Well if you read the post I said i disagree with it being an appalling summer so far. It has been average as I said and we still need 2 more at least.

I dont know what will happen in the coming 4 weeks or so with regards to Suarez/Costa or whoever else so I am obviously not including that in what I have called an average summer so far.

So you can 'go away' and read the posts as they are and not put words in my mouth.

Yep, that's fair. Apologies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

SlickRic wrote: »
    how wonderful to see that the club has taken proper control of the Suarez situation. good enough for him.

good enough for Arsenal too. if this is not an issue for reporting i don't know what is.

now that it's dealt with until an approach from a foreign club comes in, Rodgers and his transfer committee can focus on signing the 2 or 3 players we desperately need, if not by the start of the season, certainly by the end of the transfer window.

it's imperative.

I'm still not positive what people feel Arsenal have done wrong here.

Luis agent probably rang/texted/emailed or sent a carrier pigeon to every champions league club in England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France saying something like "cough, 40 million" and Arsenal came in with the specific bid in the hope of getting the player.

There's no disgrace or shame in bidding 40 million quid for a player under contract. It's not as if they came up with an insulting bid like £25 million.

Suarez was the one making noises all summer about wanting to leave, so criticising any club for coming in for him is a bit churlish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Slimity wrote: »
    Before the window.
    We knew we needed a starting central defender to play with Agger. Not achieved so far.

We knew we needed a replacement for Carragher. Replaced with Toure.
    Needed a left back, cover or imo a starter better than Enrique. Not achieved although it looks like cover will be bought.

Needed an attacking player to contribute goals/creativity. Missed out on Mhkitaryyan, but probably strengthened squad with Alberto and Aspas.

Imo we needed a central midfileder to offer competition with Lucas/Gerrard but it seems Rodgers does not see this as an area that needs addressing.

Also if and when Suarez goes he'll need to be replaced.

So by my reckoning, we're still short a cb, lb, cm, am/st. I really am starting to get worried with the window running out and the noises coming out about finding it hard to attract players.

I don't think Rodgers said we are finding it hard to attract players, just he'll spend it on the right ones.

I'd agree on the above though Skrtel could be staying going on rumours, I'm a bit meh on whether he stays tbh.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Home to Notts County, good man Carra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Arsenal haven't done that much wrong. They could have learned about the buy out clause by buying a copy of The Sun.
    The £40M plus £1 was a bit cheeky but I wouldn't have had a problem with Liverpool doing the same.
    Main issue is we don't want to send him to a team we'll be competing against. Did see a comment somewhere along the lines it would be worth him going there just for Wenger's post match interviews "Ehm, no didn't see that....... no did not see that either "

• Advertisement

Liverpool v notts county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Home to Notts County, good man Carra.

Our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't think Rodgers said we are finding it hard to attract players, just he'll spend it on the right ones.

I'd agree on the above though Skrtel could be staying going on rumours, I'm a bit meh on whether he stays tbh.

I wonder does Skrtel staying (for the moment) mean we're expecting Barca to up their offer for Agger to £25m (which I believe is our asking price)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I wonder does Skrtel staying (for the moment) mean we're expecting Barca to up their offer for Agger to £25m (which I believe is our asking price)?

Or possibly we cannot find a replacement for Skittles

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Arsenal haven't done that much wrong. They could have learned about the buy out clause by buying a copy of The Sun.
    The £40M plus £1 was a bit cheeky but I wouldn't have had a problem with Liverpool doing the same.
    Main issue is we don't want to send him to a team we'll be competing against. Did see a comment somewhere along the lines it would be worth him going there just for Wenger's post match interviews "Ehm, no didn't see that....... no did not see that either "

Oh yea but its not a buy out clause it was a clause to hold a discussion.

How would a paper know whats in players contract and why use that paper as an example in a Liverpool thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Notts County is a good tie for us, hope to see a few younger players start the game with United being the game after it

Somebody posted about Agger being the reason Liverpool decided to keep him so I doubt it, I just can't see him going anywhere after Reina and presumably Suarez.

This piece sums up my views on Suarez, nothing really new on it but it does raise the issue of why are Arsenal in for him if Real is who he really wants:
    Suarez: The End Game - Liverpool FC - LFC Online

If Real come calling next Summer I can't see Arsenal stopping him after this mess, Arsenal bidding didn't make much sense to me after his comments at the start of the Summer and I'd have thought all this stuff would have put them of. Still, football clubs and logic!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Oh yea but its not a buy out clause it was a clause to hold a discussion.

How would a paper know whats in players contract and why use that paper as an example in a Liverpool thread

Sorry, just meant it was widely reported in the media that the figure was £40M. Well before the Arsenal bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

there must have been some sort of illegal approach to make that sort of weird bid.

they had obviously been told there was a clause by Suarez's agent.

is that not potentially tapping up?

or, and i'm fine with this if this is the case, are we saying that tapping up happens and we're just going to accept it now?

Or maybe they want to wait and see about Papa, there was talk of a loan deal. I wouldn't be surprised he becomes a January target if Skrtel doesn't pick up form.

• Advertisement

Suarez invited Marca to his house for an interview

https://twitter.com/LFCZA/status/365431030007615488

EDIT: can anyone translate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

mike65 wrote: »
    With supporters like you....! 40 m is good enough for Real Madrid (slightly less might well be) but NOT Arsenal. They will have to set a non Spanish Transfer Record.

You get supporters of all types! If we don't sell him to Arsenal I'll be very happy. But I won't be one bit surprised if he ends up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Luis agent probably rang/texted/emailed or sent a carrier pigeon to every champions league club in England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France saying something like "cough, 40 million" and Arsenal came in with the specific bid in the hope of getting the player.

There's no disgrace or shame in bidding 40 million quid for a player under contract. It's not as if they came up with an insulting bid like £25 million.

Suarez was the one making noises all summer about wanting to leave, so criticising any club for coming in for him is a bit churlish.

They did make an insulting bid imo prior to the 'insult' of 40m plus £1. When the club made remarks about thinking Arsenal had more class what did people think this was referring to?. They got it wrong taking the agent at his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

To those who think we've had an appalling transfer window, are you prepared to consider any of the following possibilities

- Aspas is starting XI material, perhaps better than we first thought, and along with the form of Sterling & Ibe we no longer need any more wide forwards

- With Coutinho continuing to impress and Alberto looking good too, we don't actually need another no.10

- Toure is much better than we thought and so finding another first choice CB is no longer an immediate priority. Similarly, with Wisdom playing really well, Kelly returning to action, and Sktrl training well (apparently), the centre of defence might not be the weak spot we all think it is

- With a good pre-season under their belts, a rejuvanated Lucas and Allen mean we don't need another first choice CM

I'm not sure that I fully believe all of the above myself, however, I'm just putting it out there that perhaps we're not as short on quality as some posters would have you believe

Or Zenit are looking at alternatives, given the fire sale going on at Anzhi now?

PRAF wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I fully believe all of the above myself, however, I'm just putting it out there that perhaps we're not as short on quality as some posters would have you believe

I agree, but we need more goals from midfield, and the Suarez situation resolved one way or another...

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Suarez invited Marca to his house for an interview

https://twitter.com/LFCZA/status/365431030007615488

EDIT: can anyone translate

Suarez invites Marca to his house for Liverpool whining, worry for Arsenal fans as Madrid desire repeated - Sport Witness
    It wasn't enough for Luis Suarez to contact English newspapers and offer interviews to them, even though he must have known those words would get around the world in no time, Suarez wanted more. Today Marca have a two page spread after the Liverpool player after he invited them to his Merseyside home so he could open his heart and let it bleed about the torment he's going through. Again.

The interview is pretty similar to what Suarez said to the English newspapers but that he's been so blatant and invited Marca to his house shows even more cheek than he's managed to already, and Liverpool should be able to get some extra out of a transfer fee by hitting the player with a series of fines. Suarez says that he isn't desperate to leave but that he made things clear with the club a year ago and he just wants them to stick to that, going on to say "We had an offer from a Champions League team, I raised the situation with my agent and they said we had a new coach, the club were a good bet to get into Europe and I renewed the contract with a new clause: if we didn't enter the Champions League, I could go if they got an offer in excess of £40m."

The Uruguay international isn't giving up on that clause, he's also not giving up on Real Madrid interest. Suarez admits that he's had no contact from the Spanish club but yet again says that he could never turn the club down. Giving an interview to Marca is probably purely to throw one last rope to Real Madrid in the hope that they'll catch it.

"Any player always aspires to the highest level and Real Madrid are among the best clubs there is in the world. It would be very difficult to say no to Madrid."
    Suarez then refused to say which club he dreams of playing for and says that is private between him and his family. He praises the Liverpool fans for the reception he got at Anfield recently, but reckons that's because he's worked so hard to please them.
    "The people of Liverpool are amazing. I am very grateful for all their love. I feel it is an honor and is proof that I am doing my job well."

The footballer didn't sound too gushing when asked if he's joining Arsenal and said that he'll join a team in the Champions League who match his buy-out clause, as he sees it, because he'd feel that they valued him.
    A positive note for Arsenal fans would be that when asked which league he thought was the better, he said "The Premier League is the best for everything: for the stadiums, the fans, for how football is lived... It's one step ahead."

Suarez was pressed on whether he'll go as far as handing a transfer request in and suggested that he wouldn't "I'm defending the colours of Liverpool and will continue to do until the last minute. My idea is to reach an agreement amicably and that the clauses are met which we agreed a year ago. For now, they are not fulfilling it."

Despite speaking to English and Spanish media, calling his club liars, outlining his wish to leave repeatedly, Suarez doesn't appear keen to hand in a transfer request. Lovely chap.

Classy stuff.

Re Spearing, while I'm happy to see him leave its with a hearty slap on the back. Bolton looks like his level and they already love him. He should thrive at the DW.

murpho999 wrote: »

Nope, one side effect of Suarez is that ALL the bull****ers on my newsfeed now run articles about him and not spurious stories about players the club was never signing. For the moment its like the old days when the first you knew was local radio or the evening paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

SlickRic wrote: »
    there must have been some sort of illegal approach to make that sort of weird bid.

they had obviously been told there was a clause by Suarez's agent.

is that not potentially tapping up?

or, and i'm fine with this if this is the case, are we saying that tapping up happens and we're just going to accept it now?

As i said, you're assuming Arsenal made first contact with the Suarez camp when it's equally likely Suarez agent was the one doing the contacting.

It would be silly and naive to think Arsenal are the big bad wolf in all this. His agent would have hawked around this "clause" to any viable club in Europe. they'd all have been contacted. PSG, RM, Arsenal, Man City, United, Bayern etc. All of them would have been made aware by the agent early in the summer that, in his opinion, £40m+ gets the player....if they want him.

Arsenal failed with the Higuain situation so they obviously wanted him.

daithijjj wrote: »
    They did make an insulting bid imo prior to the 'insult' of 40m plus £1. When the club made remarks about thinking Arsenal had more class what did people think this was referring to?. They got it wrong taking the agent at his word.

People need to stop focusing on the £1 part of the bid. That sort of thing happens in business and in life all the time. Many a football club and many a business has been bought out of insolvency for a nominal bid of £1. It's not an "insult", it's usually more to do with the minimum legal requirements at hand.

And if life you see it all the time. Flick on one of those auction shows on day time tv. There's plenty of them....you'd often see someone bidding £250 and someone might take a risk and come back in with £251, hoping the other bidder has a cap on their bid already and won't bother in a tit-for-tat increase.

Arsenal were clearly misinformed that the trigger was "above £40 million" and that's what they bid. Any other amount would be stupidity. Why anybody would bid £40,500,000 when they could bid £40,000,001 is beyond me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement