Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Agree with you and it's depressing.Can't see us finishing above 7th again this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

If it is true what is being reported of Suarez trying to push through a move to Arsenal, and if he does push for a Premier League arbitration hearing to do this,
    I wonder will there be any Liverpool fans left that have any respect for this guy any more?

I have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and not pay too much head to the rumors but I am starting to really hate this guy now, as much as he has carried us over the last year it seems he is now willing to make a real mug of us all and completely make a mockery out of any support or loyalty this club or us fans has showed him.
    Just really hope he now gets the move to Real so we don't have to see his ugly mug any more in the premier league. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

opr wrote: »
    I have to say no matter how this sorry mess turns out, he should fire his representatives. He wasn't putting the Real Madrid stuff out into the world earlier this summer without someone having a word in his ear. It all seemed quite calculated and it looks like being a chase the rainbow exercise so far.

His need to keep changing his story could also have been completely avoided and even spun in a way which might have been acceptable. Instead he tied himself up in knots with the original stuff about press intrusion but if he'd just come out and said in the beginning something like 'I had thoughts of leaving last summer and the club convinced me to give them another season to reach the CL but I've now given two and half years without playing CL football and I feel I'd like I need at this stage in my career to compete at the highest level', then everyone I think would have been far more understanding. Top footballers like this should have media savvy people around them to coach them on question like this before press conferences.

Now his representatives seem to be spreading even more lies about his contract in order to try and engineer the situation. They have let him down it seems from all angles.

Opr

It was too politedly at Real, bit like Pepe and Barca, though Suarez seemed more a plea.
    ush wrote: »
    The accounts.

So you'll be able to point out where the wages were slashed, seeing as you seem to know exactly how we slashed the wages.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Nonsense. They're here 3 years now.

-Stadium issue, still not near sorting
    -Obsession with only spending money on unproven young players
    -Embarrassing TV show
    -Hiring someone the ilk of Rodgers
    -Slashing the wage bill window after window seemingly
    -Refusing to sanction tiny deals for players of a certain age
    -Seemingly entertaining the notion of selling our best player to a rival

They're no G&H but from a fans pov they're not doing a good job.

Agree with everything bolded!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

murpho999 wrote: »
    Clearing debt

Sweet. Although they got the club at a heavily reduced price on this basis.
    Increased sponsorship

Don't care, not seeing that additional money go into the playing squad as of yet
    Better deal for jersies.

See above
    Better Scouting

Not seeing better players coming in so this has quite clearly yet to proven in any tangible form
    Stadium Issue resolved, haven't you heard that Anfield is being redeveloped

Issue resolved? Have the works began. We've had plans (very little to do with the stadium though). We've seen numerous plans over the years.
    Slashing wage bill by getting rid of the likes of Joe Cole.

Again, what good is slashing the wage bill if we're not seeing tangible improvements in the squad, our performances & prospects?

Lets not forget they did say their intention was to increase the wage bill.
    Learning from mistake of trusting Comoli and Dalglish with transfers

Really? Dalglish & Comolli brought in a couple of stinkers. However, Rodgers seems to have done the same. It's always forgotten Dalglish & Comolli also brought in a genuine world class player in their short time at the club. Rodgers & this fabled scouting team haven't.
    Not a hint of bid from Arsenal being entertained but they may be legally obliged to sell.

If we're legally obliged to sell surely that's only confirmation of their ineptitude?

All the words out of Rodgers mouth seem to revolve around Arsenal needing to mount a bid that matches our valuation. The club appears open to it, at the right price. We shouldn't be.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Besides Suarez, who have FSG signed that you could say is world class?

Sturridge and Coutinho can't come into it yet as half a season doesn't make a player world class.

The answer is nobody.

I am willing to support Rodgers and have done since he became manager but they took one massive gamble in hiring him ahead of Benitez, Hiddink or Van Gaal.

My opinion, they haven't a clue about football, not one single clue.

I've no particular love for FSG, they've under underperformed for me.

To try and make a fair comparison, what world class players have the Glaziers signed at United barring Van Persie, what have Villa and the other American owners signed?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

K-9 wrote: »
    So you'll be able to point out where the wages were slashed, seeing as you seem to know exactly how we slashed the wages.

Have you evidence to the contrary?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

One thing I do know there will be alot of humble pie eat by LFC fans if Suarez heads to AFC. I have been staunch in my defence of him. Not only in the two massive incidents but every weekend all the accusations of diving etc. I was gutted when Torres left, I will be just seriously pissed if Suarez goes to Arsenal.

We can argue til we're blue in the face about where the club is at but I'm not having it that the manager and board are at fault when the player seriously wants out. If we get 50mill plus then sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Sturridge and Coutinho can't come into it yet as half a season doesn't make a player world class.

The answer is nobody.

I am willing to support Rodgers and have done since he became manager but they took one massive gamble in hiring him ahead of Benitez, Hiddink or Van Gaal.

Actually what happened there imo is they took an option whereby the man they appointed would be quite happy to have his blank canvas at a bigger club and echo satisfaction with said owners while getting a machete to the wages. Men with ambition simply wouldnt put up with that because they are inherently ambitious and seek trophies, they are well past the blank canvas stage. Benitez probably would have accepted terms in a not so ideal situation for him personally as it was LFC but i could see anyone else who knows what it takes to win, and still holds that desire, to say GTFO with that strategy they clearly have.

Have you evidence to the contrary?

You said we've slashed the wages, I'm questioning the claim.

I'm not going to go searching for information to countermand a claim you made, that you should have some knowledge about.

It sounds like something you read or heard, but never bothered researching yourself.

If you did research it, you'd have the info to hand.

TL:DR, I'm not going to look for info you state as fact, and refuse to back up yourself.

If you copy and paste a statement, just say so. Don't ask others to back up a negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Haven't posted in an age, but wanna weigh in on the Suarez debacle.

Imo, we should shift him, but it simply has to be out of England. Him playing at Arsenal would be the same as seeing your ex-girlfriend that foreign lad in the village - in your own bed, using your johnnies.

But in a world where Suarez leaves, I just have to think its the right choice. This lad is not in the right mental state to wear our shirt. Even against Melbourne he looked like he was checked out. Last season we would have ended up in the same position without his goals believe it or not.

I believe Suarez went mental and bit Ivanovic knowing well that he could get a ban which would roll into next season, attempting to influence a move away from LFC.

For me, hitting the ground running this season is vital. The past few seasons we've been slow outta the blocks.

Suarez to go to Real for 40 odd million, get in a replacement striker along the lines of Huntelaar or someone who is guarenteed goals. Then we look back and laugh at worrying just like we did with Torres.

Suarez is checked out. He's donzo. And being quite frank wanting out of a club who have stood by him through so much, bluffing about the media and then wanting to stay in England....

...lets just say I can't wait for Agger to say hello to him like he did Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

On a lighter note, I'm reading Matthew Syed Bounce and he says Kolo Toure has a superstition whereby he has to be last player to leave dressing room after half time break. Shouldn't be a problem only that in 2009 his auld mate :p Gallas was getting treated so Arsenal had to start the half with only 9 players :pac: Kolo is gonna be fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

The answer is nobody.

I'm a big Liverpool fan, but why in the name of the divine Mother of Bethlehem would a world class player 'want' to come to Liverpool??

I think it was remarkable that we got Suarez in the first place.

When I talk about 'world class', I suppose I'm talking about a category of maybe 10-20 players, give or take. Maybe 30 at a stretch.

Now Liverpool, as a club, are way down the pecking order right now. We have two world class players in our team in Stevie and Suarez. That could almost be seen as an achievement in itself.

As a fan I'm not disappointed that we don't have more world class players, because I'm realistic that a world class player could not possibly be interested in what we have to offer right now from a number of angles.

I'm more disappointed that we don't have enough 'very good' footballers. We have too big a gap between our 3-4 best players and the rest.

I think you're being pretty unfair on the owners with the claim that you would have expected more world class players in by now. You also went on to mention Van Gaal and Hiddink? Again, why would they want to sign with us when they have so many other resources available at other clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

One thing I do know there will be alot of humble pie eat by LFC fans if Suarez heads to AFC. I have been staunch in my defence of him. Not only in the two massive incidents but every weekend all the accusations of diving etc. I was gutted when Torres left, I will be just seriously pissed if Suarez goes to Arsenal.

We can argue til we're blue in the face about where the club is at but I'm not having it that the manager and board are at fault when the player seriously wants out. If we get 50mill plus then sell him.

Assuming Suarez does end up there in the end???. There would be a day or two of pandemonium about the player and toward the player. After those few days we would look internally at the clusterfu*k of how it was allowed to happen, that we undermined our own intentions by selling to a direct rival for a place we seek. Thats what should happen in that situation. For me, you simply dont sell your best player to Arsenal for any price.

Only a deluded 'megatard' would find excuses if Suarez ends up in an Arsenal shirt and that doesnt result in sackings upstairs.

My torch and pitchfork are on standby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

opr wrote: »
    Scout Nation video on Soldado

Opr

Looks an excellent finisher. I know very little about him though.

The answer is nobody.

They sanctioned moves for Carroll and Downing at £35m and £20m. They also sanctioned a move for Mytharian at > £20m. It didn't work out with any of them, but I believe we have better people in place now to target players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

oh also...

Is there any sports psychologists here? I just wonder if Suarez to Arsenal could benefit the LFC squad mentally.

Like the gap between the two clubs at the moment would hardly warrent the title of a gulf....so in my eyes, it could be used as the ultimate cannon fodder.

A squad being told to go and rub it in Suarez's face by over taking arsenal...like...ultimate motivation. Could you just imagine how it would feel if he goes to the Gunners, and we get the 4th spot.

RandyMarsh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I've no particular love for FSG, they've under underperformed for me.

To try and make a fair comparison, what world class players have the Glaziers signed at United barring Van Persie, what have Villa and the other American owners signed?

Vidic, Kagawa, Hernandez, De Gea.

Villa are never going to attract anyone world class in fairness.

Under H&G we bought Torres and Mascherano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Some of liverpools figures crunched earlier on this year, fcuk all is really being saved in wages

http://www.theliverpoolword.com/2013/04/liverpool-f-c-s-recent-accounts-reading-beyond-the-numbers/

You said we've slashed the wages, I'm questioning the claim.

I'm not going to go searching for information to countermand a claim you made, that you should have some knowledge about.

It sounds like something you read or heard, but never bothered researching yourself.

If you did research it, you'd have the info to hand.

TL:DR, I'm not going to look for info you state as fact, and refuse to back up yourself.

If you copy and paste a statement, just say so. Don't ask others to back up a negative.

My source = the accounts.

You're not willing to back up your claim then.

I believe we were in the CL when they signed, and won it not long before then either.

Hernandz world class?

I am out.

• Advertisement

Some of liverpools figures crunched earlier on this year, fcuk all is really being saved in wages

http://www.theliverpoolword.com/2013/04/liverpool-f-c-s-recent-accounts-reading-beyond-the-numbers/

More complicated than that. You have to look at bad contracts, player ages and what you're getting for your money. Also what can be written off for FFP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

More complicated than that. You have to look at bad contracts, player ages and what you're getting for your money. Also what can be written off for FFP.

Tell me more

One of the saddest things for me this week is......instead of talking about the incredible atmosphere of almost 100k fans singing YNWA on the other side of the world, and how well the club is still obviously supported on a global scale........we are talking about this little rodent.

Tell me more

How many older players have we got an expensive contracts who aren't gonna contribute. You can be cruel and say Downing.

When FSG took over there was a fair few players like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Kagawa world class?? in that case Nuri Sahan can come into the world class bracket. De Gea isn't yet world class he's still developing even after the massive fee and Hernandez is an excellent poacher but not a world class player.
    Vidic is/was top notch but the other 3 aren't world class for me although they're very good players even though Moyes will be the death of Kagawa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

when Carroll was reported to be on £80k a week **** knows what Downing and Henderson are on considering they came for large fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I hate the term World Class.

If Kagawa, by some miracle, played in a Liverpool shirt last season we would be raving about him on here. If Rooney is moved on and Kagawa is played behind RvP, watch him shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

To be classed as 'world class' you need to be in the top 2-3 keepers, 2-3 CBs 4-5 strikers in the world imo.
    None of those Utd players are, Vidic probably was, De Gea could well get into that bracket.

When Torres signed for Liverpool he wasn't world class, he became so at Liverpool.

Knex. wrote: »
    I hate the term World Class.

Only those with blinkers on would make such a claim, very good player yes. World class no.

Its the same with people saying such and such a player is unreal or smashing (which supposedly henderson was last week) when in reality the player in question might not be much above premiership standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

2-3 goalies.
    Why 2-3 center backs but 4-5 strikers?

Center backs getting hard done by. Midfielders?

Is anyone else surprised that Chelsea have not joined the race for LS?

Plus, they'd be a perfect match for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

If Rodgers convinces Suarez to stay it will be the best bit of business we'll have done this Summer , World Class business you could say :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Fizman wrote: »
    One of the saddest things for me this week is......instead of talking about the incredible atmosphere of almost 100k fans singing YNWA on the other side of the world, and how well the club is still obviously supported on a global scale........we are talking about this little rodent.

Yeah I watched highlights today & the way he distanced himself from the 2nd goal celebrations was still hard to watch, so difficult I couldn't even bring myself to posting a vintage WrestleMania III attendance joke.
    Its 2:20am & their are kids down the street where I liveplaying football, badly by the sound of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I believe we were in the CL when they signed, and won it not long before then either.

Hernandz world class?

I am out.

I'd love a Hernandez in our team, could care less about whether he's "world class" or not. Some of our own fans had the same snobby attitude towards Michael Owen, "sure all he does is score goals, where's his all round game?"

I couldn't give a **** about his all round game, the man was a goal machine (EDIT and both Hernandez and Owen have and had an amazing knack for being in the right place at the right time)....and I shudder to think what we would have achieved had he better players around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

2-3 goalies.
    Why 2-3 center backs but 4-5 strikers?

Center backs getting hard done by. Midfielders?

I'm also interested in the logic here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

FFP, has it gone away?

So are you suggesting Abramovich didn't make mistakes?

Or he can't after FPP.

I don't get where you're going with this?

People said it's tough, and maybe not ideal, for FSG to learn on the job.

You said others did it.

I said they made mistakes but bought their way out of them.

Now what are you on about with FPP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Sean ‏@shornKOOMINS 8h

Can't believe we're trying to spend €30m on Nolberto Solano FFS sake. He must be about 40. Disgrace. #SackEveryone

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

:D

Could get a decent price from Hartlepool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Is anyone else surprised that Chelsea have not joined the race for LS?

Plus, they'd be a perfect match for each other.

They could use Ivanovic as bait.

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The answer is nobody.

How many other 6th or 7th place teams sign world class players? Sturridge and Coutinho were significant improvements to what you had there before. That's all he can really do. I think Allen will step up more this season and you have some players who can improve with a bit more confidence. I don't think you will trouble the top 4 but maybe a challenge to 5th depending on the level of Spurs this season which I'm not convinced on yet even with some good signings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Would love to read all that, but I'd busy THIS WEEK!

Short version - commercial revenue is up (we know this), wages are down (we know this too) and we haven't splashed huge money on transfer fees/wages in the last year.

So however you slice it, we are better off...

El Spearo wrote: »
    oh also...

Is there any sports psychologists here? I just wonder if Suarez to Arsenal could benefit the LFC squad mentally.

Like the gap between the two clubs at the moment would hardly warrent the title of a gulf....so in my eyes, it could be used as the ultimate cannon fodder.

A squad being told to go and rub it in Suarez's face by over taking arsenal...like...ultimate motivation. Could you just imagine how it would feel if he goes to the Gunners, and we get the 4th spot.

RandyMarsh.jpg

There is a sports psychologist, think his name is Martin Evans. He worked with quite a few British Olympians, most notably Chris Hoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Nothing wrong with him, he loves us and is having a great time altogether......

946638_10151876634877573_10649799_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/140792-rodgers-on-pepe-reina-loan-move

Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that Pepe Reina is set to complete a loan switch to Napoli.

The boss was asked for an update on the situation with the Spain international at a press conference to mark Liverpool's fourth trip to Thailand.

Speaking to a packed conference room at the team hotel, Rodgers said: "It was obviously a difficult decision.

"From last season, really, as a manager I was led to believe that we were going to get an offer for Pepe that would probably see him leave the club.

"On the football side, we have to protect the team, and at that stage we started our search for another goalkeeper.

"That found us Simon Mignolet, who's top class - one of the top young European goalkeepers.

"As events transpired, that move [for Reina] didn't happen and it left us with two very good goalkeepers. Both would have been fighting for the No.1 position.

"Then obviously an opportunity arose for Pepe and it was one we felt as a football club was best for him to take.

"As a senior goalkeeper, he needs to be playing. It's a very important year for him with the World Cup next year. It wouldn't have served any purpose, both for the club and him personally, if he'd been the one missing out.

"It's decided he will go to Napoli and we've got two very good goalkeepers still at the football club.

"We'll review it after the loan finishes."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So in short - Barca told Reina's agent that they'd be in for him, as Valdes was leaving. Valdes then decided to see out his last year (maybe interest elsewhere not what he expected?), so Reina is in limbo. So we find a solution that saves him being an expensive cheerleader...

(awaits naysayers arrival telling is this is Rodgers' and Ayre's fault...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Rodgers interview with TAW last week was a good one regarding Reina's situation. He was not going to get burned when Reina was finally to leave and he made his decision to go buy a new no1. Simple as that.

Hearing alot of comments about BR recently that he lacks a backbone, too inexperienced and bending over in this seasons pre-season. Opinions?

Seems to me the Suarez thing will make or break him, how he spends the money and how the team respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

gafferino wrote: »
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/140792-rodgers-on-pepe-reina-loan-move

Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that Pepe Reina is set to complete a loan switch to Napoli.

The boss was asked for an update on the situation with the Spain international at a press conference to mark Liverpool's fourth trip to Thailand.

Speaking to a packed conference room at the team hotel, Rodgers said: "It was obviously a difficult decision.

"From last season, really, as a manager I was led to believe that we were going to get an offer for Pepe that would probably see him leave the club.

"On the football side, we have to protect the team, and at that stage we started our search for another goalkeeper.

"That found us Simon Mignolet, who's top class - one of the top young European goalkeepers.

"As events transpired, that move [for Reina] didn't happen and it left us with two very good goalkeepers. Both would have been fighting for the No.1 position.

"Then obviously an opportunity arose for Pepe and it was one we felt as a football club was best for him to take.

"As a senior goalkeeper, he needs to be playing. It's a very important year for him with the World Cup next year. It wouldn't have served any purpose, both for the club and him personally, if he'd been the one missing out.

"It's decided he will go to Napoli and we've got two very good goalkeepers still at the football club.

"We'll review it after the loan finishes."

Worrying that he thinks we've got two very good goalkeepers.

Mignolet and Suarez?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

djPSB wrote: »

Mignolet and Suarez?

Worrying? Ah FFS. I'm all for criticism where it's warranted, but all I have gleaned from this thread over the last couple of weeks is that people clearly do not understand how or why a particular approach is needed when dealing with the media. It is another world, it does not follow the normal conventions we are used to when having normal conversations with people etc.

What was Rodgers to say? "It's a real shame losing Pepe, because although we have brought Mignolet in, we are still left with another ****e keeper. What can you do?".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Mignolet and Suarez?

What would you expect him to say?

"We've one good keeper and one s*it keeper, we'll be grand"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Mignolet and Suarez?

To be honest, I couldn't give a fcuk what he says to the media as long as he goes out and buys a better number 2 than Brad Jones.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement