Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The extra £1 was to see if the clause was greater than 40 mil and not equal to 40 mil. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Suarez was pressed on whether he'll go as far as handing a transfer request in and suggested that he wouldn't "I'm defending the colours of Liverpool and will continue to do until the last minute. My idea is to reach an agreement amicably and that the clauses are met which we agreed a year ago. For now, they are not fulfilling it [\quote]

Does he have any idea how ridiculous he sounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

PRAF wrote: »
    To those who think we've had an appalling transfer window, are you prepared to consider any of the following possibilities

- Aspas is starting XI material, perhaps better than we first thought, and along with the form of Sterling & Ibe we no longer need any more wide forwards

- With Coutinho continuing to impress and Alberto looking good too, we don't actually need another no.10

- Toure is much better than we thought and so finding another first choice CB is no longer an immediate priority. Similarly, with Wisdom playing really well, Kelly returning to action, and Sktrl training well (apparently), the centre of defence might not be the weak spot we all think it is

- With a good pre-season under their belts, a rejuvanated Lucas and Allen mean we don't need another first choice CM

I'm not sure that I fully believe all of the above myself, however, I'm just putting it out there that perhaps we're not as short on quality as some posters would have you believe

I think there's definitely some merit in that. I have no doubt Coutinho and Sturridge will both be excellent this season. There'd be an element of chance in hoping that Aspas, Sterling, Ibe and Alberto are good enough to compliment that - but they've all had impressive pre-seasons.

I'm a bit worried about Lucas. I thought he's been poor enough the last two games, missing tackles, making clumsy tackles and giving away needless frees. But I didnt see anyone else complaining and some praised him after both games, so it could be just me being wrong.

Where I'm more convinced we have shortcomings is in the centre of defence, in particular defending crosses. Carra was our best centre half last season, and I think Toure is now our best CB. But that's saying more about the alternatives than it is about Carra and Kolo. Dagger and Skittles, at their best, are top drawer. But they're just too prone to error imo. I think if we sold both for £35m we could pick up better replacements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No, would be the short answer. You know what, we really should have paid greater scrutiny to his time in the Dutch league. We'd have been so much better prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

RadioCity News/Sport ‏@RadioCityNews 30m
    SPORT Suarez : "``I'm still defending the Liverpool shirt and I will do so until the last
    minute. It's not that I'm desperate to leave" #LFC

Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

"Sell me, sell meeeeeeee!! :mad: Just don't expect me to lose any money mind...:o"

Suarez's position imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Eh?

I don't think the lad is the full shilling at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Time to change the sig...?

:D His previous hasn't made me change it!
    Suarez was pressed on whether he'll go as far as handing a transfer request in and suggested that he wouldn't "I'm defending the colours of Liverpool and will continue to do until the last minute. My idea is to reach an agreement amicably and that the clauses are met which we agreed a year ago. For now, they are not fulfilling it [\quote]

Does he have any idea how ridiculous he sounds?

It isn't as if we can take anything he says as the truth.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't think the lad is the full shilling at all.

he knows exactly what he's doing.

he's trying to make it impossible for us to keep him while never handing in a transfer request.

it's all about the money, money, money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He wants to defend? I think we've just found our new left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

As i said, you're assuming Arsenal made first contact with the Suarez camp when it's equally likely Suarez agent was the one doing the contacting.

It would be silly and naive to think Arsenal are the big bad wolf in all this. His agent would have hawked around this "clause" to any viable club in Europe. they'd all have been contacted. PSG, RM, Arsenal, Man City, United, Bayern etc. All of them would have been made aware by the agent early in the summer that, in his opinion, £40m+ gets the player....if they want him.

Arsenal failed with the Higuain situation so they obviously wanted him.

People need to stop focusing on the £1 part of the bid. That sort of thing happens in business and in life all the time. Many a football club and many a business has been bought out of insolvency for a nominal bid of £1. It's not an "insult", it's usually more to do with the minimum legal requirements at hand.

And if life you see it all the time. Flick on one of those auction shows on day time tv. There's plenty of them....you'd often see someone bidding £250 and someone might take a risk and come back in with £251, hoping the other bidder has a cap on their bid already and won't bother in a tit-for-tat increase.

Arsenal were clearly misinformed that the trigger was "above £40 million" and that's what they bid. Any other amount would be stupidity. Why anybody would bid £40,500,000 when they could bid £40,000,001 is beyond me.

Football is not normal life. Arsenal were not outbidding another club by £1, there is no auction in place. Liverpool FC is not insolvent.

Does a loyalty bonus go directly to the player, and not the club?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Grayditch wrote: »
    He wants to defend? I think we've just found our new left back.

He'll be left back on Sat at the Aviva. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How much did the Boston Globe and those Red Sox contracts cost FSG? They can afford to throw him into the reserves damnit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

SlickRic wrote: »
    he knows exactly what he's doing.

he's trying to make it impossible for us to keep him while never handing in a transfer request.

it's all about the money, money, money.

He knows what he's doing alright. He didn't want that support at Anfield during Gerrard's testimonial. The interviews are about turning match going fans against him. Makes his stay at Liverpool more untenable. Its all orchestrated.

mike65 wrote: »
    How much did the Boston Globe and those Red Sox contracts cost FSG? They can afford to throw him into the reserves damnit.

Easy to say when its not your money. :P Although I can see a scenario where they'd get more money for him in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

daithijjj wrote: »
    Football is not normal life. Arsenal were not outbidding another club by £1, there is no auction in place. Liverpool FC is not insolvent.

Go on, just ignore the part about the clause. Why would they bid any more than they did if they were under the impression anything above 40,000,000 would trigger the clause? Thinking they would do anything else is utterly naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Definitely something after shifting in the support Suarez is now receiving from the fans...

8ftTVTJ.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Samuel Deepak is not too impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

K-9 wrote: »
    Does a loyalty bonus go directly to the player, and not the club?

To the player. So in the case of Suarez it means he would get a lump sum in the region of £2.5m to £3m if he is sold without having handed in a transfer request as technically it would be the club looking to move him on ( and terminate his contract) rather than him looking to do so.

El Spearo wrote: »
    Definitely something after shifting in the support Suarez is now receiving from the fans...

8ftTVTJ.png

Thats exactly what he wants. Reaction should be calm and clinical. Think of him as an asset with a high market value, rather than a player to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Spearing -
    Bolton have agreed a fee with Liverpool for midfielder Jay Spearing, Sky Sports understands.

Bolton boss Dougie Freedman has been chasing Spearing all summer after a successful spell on loan at the Reebok Stadium last term.

Liverpool chief Brendan Rodgers is willing to let Spearing move on as he does not figure in his long-term plans at Anfield.

A number of clubs have been linked with a move for Spearing, but Bolton have been leading the chase to sign the 24-year-old

Spearing has now been given permission to hold talks with Bolton and undergo a medical ahead of a permanent switch to the Championship club.
    Carra on Suarez -
    Jamie Carragher says Luis Suarez's behaviour is unacceptable and Brendan Rodgers is right to lay down the law with his problem striker.

Sky Sports understands that the Uruguayan, a subject of two failed bids from Arsenal, has been told to train on his own away from the first team after going public with claims that the club agreed to let him leave this summer.

Carragher visited the club's Melwood training ground last week and sensed that Suarez, who is banned for the first six game of the season, was not showing an acceptable level of commitment.

And he backed the idea that Rodgers should jettison his star player until he improves his attitude.

Carragher told Sky Sports News: "I know Luis and I've played with him in the last couple of years and he's a warrior. He's a fighter on the pitch and every day in training. He never misses a session.

"I went in to Friday training before Stevie's testimonial and that wasn't the Luis Suarez I knew. I think it's right for Brendan Rodgers to take him out of the group because no one player is bigger than the team or the squad.

"He's not going to be playing because he's banned, so Liverpool need to concentrate on getting it right for the first game of the season against Stoke.

"If Suarez is a distraction for everyone then he needs to be taken out of the group."
    Accept

Carragher, who will be a pundit on Sky Sports this season, played alongside Suarez for the last two years and says Liverpool can't afford to sell him to Arsenal.

Suarez worth more than £40 million

He says Rodgers cannot let his top striker join a top-four rival and admits he'd have a few harsh words for his former team-mate if he was still in the dressing room.

"Sort yourself. You can't have that and can't accept that," he added.

"There's ways and means of going about it. Players get transferred all the time and you can't always have what you want.

"Liverpool Football Club have got to protect themselves as well. Arsenal are a big rival for a top-four place and maybe if he wanted to go somewhere else it wouldn't be such a big issue and maybe Liverpool would sanction a deal.

"Nobody wants unhappy players at the training ground or on the pitch playing. It affects other people.

"But it's very difficult for Liverpool, like the Wayne Rooney situation with Manchester United and Chelsea. They're direct rivals and that's the big deal. That's the problem."
    Carry on

Carragher also says Suarez's public statements have damaged his reputation and may put off potential suitors.

"There's ways and means of going about it. Players get transferred all the time and you can't always have what you want."
    Jamie Carragher

He added: "He can't carry on the way he's been carrying on. Brendan Rodgers has come out and said that nobody is bigger than the club and that's exactly right.

"There will be agents and probably people at Arsenal talking to him, but he's a grown man. He's not a kid, he's got a family and he needs to make his own decisions and what's right for him.

"It's also how he's coming across as a person to the Liverpool public and the country in general.

"Of course Arsenal want to get the player, but sometimes you've got to remember how people are seeing the situation and how people are looking at you."

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Kess73 wrote: »
    To the player. So in the case of Suarez it means he would get a lump sum in the region of £2.5m to £3m if he is sold without having handed in a transfer request as technically it would be the club looking to move him on ( and terminate his contract) rather than him looking to do so.

.........if the loyalty bonus is *clearly* stated in his contract :)

billy2012 wrote: »
    Spearing -

Bolton have agreed a fee with Liverpool for midfielder Jay Spearing, Sky Sports understands.

Bolton boss Dougie Freedman has been chasing Spearing all summer after a successful spell on loan at the Reebok Stadium last term.

Liverpool chief Brendan Rodgers is willing to let Spearing move on as he does not figure in his long-term plans at Anfield.

A number of clubs have been linked with a move for Spearing, but Bolton have been leading the chase to sign the 24-year-old

Spearing has now been given permission to hold talks with Bolton and undergo a medical ahead of a permanent switch to the Championship club.

I can categorically deny this. There is a clause in my contract that should LFC fail to reach the Champions League, I will receive a 2 year contract extension. I point you towards the image of me and BR signing a cartract there yesterday.

Vicious rumours so tis.

8ftTVTJ.png

I'll show him love if he ever takes a stroll through Chavasse Park again. He will have as long as it takes me to get down the stairs and out the front door to avoid turning up in A&E with part of the John Lennon monument stuck in his Arry Arris. :mad:

Where do we actually go from here. Like he can't really wear a LFC shirt again. His head is down in training by the sounds of it - he's checked out.

Looks like we're full on refusing to sell to the Gunners - which i fully agree with.

No interest as of yet from abroad.

What happens if we're stuck with him not wanting to play? Bung him into the reserves? Wouldn't even want him with the youths if he's turned as toxic as it seems.

What I'm asking is - Is there a way back for Luis?

Would an apology cut it? Will a foreign bid come in and immediately be accepted just to be rid of him? Can he play for us again, and will he really be all there?

I assume this is really covering the elements which will conclude this saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he must be the greatest troll in the history of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

We'll all miss the goals and the thrill of watching him, but he won't be missed for much else.

I would like to see BR tell him publically that if he wants to leave he must submit a transfer request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Re "loyalty" bonuses, are they standard in every contract? Also, are they a fixed percentage of the fee, of wages, or something else altogether.

Personally I think they are ridiculous. Also, surely a guy who is demanding a transfer and who repeatedly tells the world he wants to leave is de facto submitting a transfer request.

I am pie wrote: »
    We'll all miss the goals and the thrill of watching him, but he won't be missed for much else.

I would like to see BR tell him publically that if he wants to leave he must submit a transfer request.

isnt there a flip side to the request though?

while its great to see him lose out on his personal bonus, surely a request would knock the arse out of his sale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

isnt there a flip side to the request though?

while its great to see him lose out on his personal bonus, surely a request would knock the arse out of his sale value.

his statements to the press would have done that to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Re "loyalty" bonuses, are they standard in every contract? Also, are they a fixed percentage of the fee, of wages, or something else altogether.

Personally I think they are ridiculous. Also, surely a guy who is demanding a transfer and who repeatedly tells the world he wants to leave is de facto submitting a transfer request.

He probably feels the same way about the promise made to him by the club about letting him leave if they didnt reach the champions league

He probably feels the same way about the promise made to him by the club about letting him leave if they didnt reach the champions league

ah thats pure sh!te in the bucket

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Where do we actually go from here. Like he can't really wear a LFC shirt again. His head is down in training by the sounds of it - he's checked out.

Looks like we're full on refusing to sell to the Gunners - which i fully agree with.

What happens if we're stuck with him not wanting to play? Bung him into the reserves? Wouldn't even want him with the youths if he's turned as toxic as it seems.

Would an apology cut it? Will a foreign bid come in and immediately be accepted just to be rid of him? Can he play for us again, and will he really be all there?

Yes I posted similar yesterday - it's quite difficult to see where this is going to end.

Not only is Suarez being disrespectful, but he is being incredibly stupid too. He may leave himself with no options.

Liverpool - situation is very bad. Both manager and fans have turned on him. Is there a way back?

Arsenal - Liverpool still adamant they won't sell, especially at £40m. Arsenal not looking like they're going to up the bid.

Real Madrid - Still nothing. Ancelloti has said he's happy with his striking options. Maybe if they fail with Bale they might come in with a late, late bid, but that's a lot of maybes.

And then we have the rest, who knows someone might surprise us with a bid, but would they not have shown interest before?

I would say with a very well-worded apology, the right attitude, and then some words of support from his teammates and Rodgers, perhaps there is a way back for Suarez at this club (which may be his only option).

I'm not sure if we've quite gone beyond the point of no return yet but we're certainly close.

• Advertisement

I have two potential scenarios here:

Scenario 1: Luis stays. On his first game back he is booed by the Kop. When he scores his first goal, he is still shunned by his team mates and gets nothing but stoney silence from the Anfield faithful. When he scores his second goal, a wonderful curling free kick by the way, he gets nothing more than a ripple of applause. When he tracks back 70 yards and puts in a crunching tackle on the opposition striker he gets a pat on the back from Stevie G. But when he beats 5 men and then whacks in a piledriver from 30 yards, he finally gets a standing ovation. All is forgiven!

Scenario 2: More press releases, sulking, and whinging. He is never forgiven by LFC fans and we flog him to the highest bidder on transfer deadline day.

The heart says 1 but the head says 2!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

As with anything else, there is always a way back, however unlikely it seems. If he accepted that he wasn't being sold, apologised to the players, staff and fans, and then showed on the pitch that he was giving his all, people would soon move on if his performances and goals were there. I don't think it's likely there will ever be the same level of support from the crowd and fan base in general that he had received up to now, but aside from probably some early boos, if the performances were there, it would be swept under the carpet at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Suarez value is how much a club is willing to pay. Personally i think a 45-50 mil bid from outside the EPL would have got him last week, but this week Suarez has probably driven his price down further, he has really ****ed us over......and still hasn't put in a transfer request.

We could keep him in the reserve's until he gives a groveling apology but i could care less at this point.........there is no way back for him realistically.....he has done what he intended to do with those interviews.......i do hope the club stands firm and does not sell to Arsenal though, that'd be a real kicker.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I have two potential scenarios here:

Scenario 1: Luis stays. On his first game back he is booed by the Kop. When he scores his first goal, he is still shunned by his team mates and gets nothing but stoney silence from the Anfield faithful. When he scores his second goal, a wonderful curling free kick by the way, he gets nothing more than a ripple of applause. When he tracks back 70 yards and puts in a crunching tackle on the opposition striker he gets a pat on the back from Stevie G. But when he beats 5 men and then whacks in a piledriver from 30 yards, he finally gets a standing ovation. All is forgiven!

Scenario 2: More press releases, sulking, and whinging. He is never forgiven by LFC fans and we flog him to the highest bidder on transfer deadline day.

The heart says 1 but the head says 2!

My heart AND head say 2, I can't see him wearing a Liverpool shirt again, I'm not even sure I want to see him in one again

No because in the EPL, the written contract supercedes anything else. So called verbal agreements, even if they did happen, have absolutely zero legal standing.

• Advertisement

They are pretty much standard. Generally they are calculated as a % of the player's wage against how long is left on the contract, but it can vary sometimes if stipulations were added.

Andy Carroll, for example, got a £1m payout from us when he moved to West Ham, and pretty much every player and manager that has left the club without giving written notice has also recieved a pay out fee.

But I have no problem with pay outs when they happen after the club wants to move a player on, as what happened with Carroll, as it makes sense then as it is the club that wishes to move the player on. But when a player wants out and is making noise to suppport this, then my thinking is that the player should have to forgo his loyalty bonus if he wants to get the move he is after.

Torres had to hand in a transfer request to get his move ( and if people are telling the truth he tried to withdraw that transfer request but was refused the option), and got no big pay out as a result, the exact same standard should have to apply to Suarez if he wants to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

ah thats pure sh!te in the bucket

mqdefault.jpg
    2011_12_4_21_44.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    342710_1.jpg
    s7eBPHV.png
    jay-spearing-liverpool-fc-70073194-3249674.jpg

Wonder does he feel the same way about his own verbal "agreement" from 8 months ago when he came out and said that he wanted to stay at Liverpool regardless of whether or notthe club had CL football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

It's truly amazing that people can behave like Suarez and still leave with a loyalty payment. There is no way to quantify what he owes Liverpool for the loyalty that they have shown to him.

mqdefault.jpg
    2011_12_4_21_44.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    342710_1.jpg
    s7eBPHV.png
    jay-spearing-liverpool-fc-70073194-3249674.jpg

just......

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif?1363040789

well done sir.

ush wrote: »
    He knows what he's doing alright. He didn't want that support at Anfield during Gerrard's testimonial. The interviews are about turning match going fans against him. Makes his stay at Liverpool more untenable. Its all orchestrated.

The comments about the fans understanding start to make sense that way, well, it's about the only way they do.
    Kess73 wrote: »

About 6 months wages!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Re Spearing, while I'm happy to see him leave its with a hearty slap on the back. Bolton looks like his level and they already love him. He should thrive at the DW.

Not if he wants to keep the Bolton fans happy. Reebok Stadium is where Bolton play ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

John W Henry bought the Globe as an individual, it wasn't FSG.

But Red Sox have a significant payroll, over $150m for 2013 and recently gave Pedroia a $100m 7year contract extension.

The sports don't correlate too closely salary-wise as in baseball there are guaranteed contracts and trades rather than transfers (so exchanging other player's contracts and/or draft picks as opposed to cash). So you can have players move to other clubs but still have their contract paid in part by the previous club etc.

But I take your point they can certainly afford to do that. And I agree that initially he should be in the reserves until he's willing to apologise and play first team but I wouldn't keep him down there all season if he's willing to play. If he wants to do a Tevez-like comeback I'm all for it if he'll play and serve the club well. I just think they'll be looking for a big sale abroad as first option with him in the reserves in the meantime.

so effectively LFC have to buy out his contract.

Should he hand in a request, he should have to buy out his own contract....

makes no sense what so ever...but it would make him PAY!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If Suarez stays he will not be bunged in the reserves or anything like it.

There will be a carefully orchestrated sequence of events where he apologises, does an interview on LFCTV, and looks the fans in the eyes and tells them he is sorry and has promised full commitment to Brendan Rodgers and his team mates for the season ahead. By match 7 of the league this will be a distant enough memory such that by the time he is standing on the side lines waiting to be subbed on at Anfield after his 10 match ban is served the fans will grudgingly welcome him back.

Forgiven, but not forgotten.

He will then leave next Summer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement