Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I am pie wrote: »
    We'll all miss the goals and the thrill of watching him, but he won't be missed for much else.

I would like to see BR tell him publically that if he wants to leave he must submit a transfer request.

Did he not say that recently?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Given the d*ckish behaviour so far, is it possibe that Suarez had this in his mind 8 months back when he signed the 4 year contract extension; that he wont hand in a transfer request and get a whopper payout as opposed that what he would have got on his last contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If a foreign club offers £40m+, we should sell. We should not sell to Arsenal under any circumstances. Suarez should be kept if no foreign offers come in. He's an idiot but his commitment on the pitch (in a competitive match) has never been in question. I think he would be just as much of a fighter for Liverpool once the transfer window closes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

spockety wrote: »
    If Suarez stays he will not be bunged in the reserves or anything like it.

There will be a carefully orchestrated sequence of events where he apologises, does an interview on LFCTV, and looks the fans in the eyes and tells them he is sorry and has promised full commitment to Brendan Rodgers and his team mates for the season ahead. By match 7 of the league this will be a distant enough memory such that by the time he is standing on the side lines waiting to be subbed on at Anfield after his 10 match ban is served the fans will grudgingly welcome him back.

Forgiven, but not forgotten.

He will then leave next Summer.

This is what the reaction should be in the stadium

stock-photo-little-girl-with-her-arms-crossed-and-angry-expression-75993835.jpg

and this should be the reaction on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

When we first started to see Suarez's other side, I think we all knew, this is the only way it could have gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If Suarez stays he will not be bunged in the reserves or anything like it.

There will be a carefully orchestrated sequence of events where he apologises, does an interview on LFCTV, and looks the fans in the eyes and tells them he is sorry and has promised full commitment to Brendan Rodgers and his team mates for the season ahead. By match 7 of the league this will be a distant enough memory such that by the time he is standing on the side lines waiting to be subbed on at Anfield after his 10 match ban is served the fans will grudgingly welcome him back.

Forgiven, but not forgotten.

He will then leave next Summer.

Don't forget he'll sack his agent too, and blame the whole thing on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

8-10 wrote: »
    John W Henry bought the Globe as an individual, it wasn't FSG.

But Red Sox have a significant payroll, over $150m for 2013 and recently gave Pedroia a $100m 7year contract extension.

The sports don't correlate too closely salary-wise as in baseball there are guaranteed contracts and trades rather than transfers (so exchanging other player's contracts and/or draft picks as opposed to cash). So you can have players move to other clubs but still have their contract paid in part by the previous club etc.

The key point is that FSG or John Henry don't contribute a penny to the Boston Red Sox.

Saying that the Red Sox spent $100m on players, therefore LFC should have plenty of money is just nonsense.

Red Sox generate approaching $200M a year in revenue. That's how they fund their player contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why do you think it's only Arsenal interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Tusky wrote: »
    If a foreign club offers £40m+, we should sell. We should not sell to Arsenal under any circumstances. Suarez should be kept if no foreign offers come in. He's an idiot but his commitment on the pitch (in a competitive match) has never been in question. I think he would be just as much of a fighter for Liverpool once the transfer window closes.

If that were the case then we should flat out refuse to sell to anybody, but I can't see him not causing further trouble beyond September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Tusky wrote: »

I think if he was not banned for the very start of the season then we might have seen a refusal to play, or some on pitch incident. But if he is not sold this window, he has time to get used to not being sold and also to realise that he can put himself in the shop window for January, and as a result will be similar to how he was last season on the pitch in terms of attitude.

But given how many very good attacking players have moved this summer, he really did pick a bad window to kick off in as the big clubs have had no shortage in available attackers to go after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Kess73 wrote: »
    Wonder does he feel the same way about his own verbal "agreement" from 8 months ago when he came out and said that he wanted to stay at Liverpool regardless of whether or not the club had CL football?

verbal contract not worth the paper it's written on.

i find it kinda funny that this seems to be a surprise to people that Suarez A)wants out B)is a nasty little git
    way back at the start of the Summer the interviews\reports all said he wanted a move, at this point the club should have started to prepare for his sale. once a player starts to demand a move it's going to happen.
    B)he's a nasty piece of work at times. The history is there all the way through his playing career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Is that Liverpool icon in the top left a Zeppelin icon? If it is, what package is that in??

I installed the Zeppellin tweak from the modmyi repo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

mike65 wrote: »

can't lie...that little punch of the air at the end still makes me laugh...

if he leaves this is going to be like that ex girlfriend who ya broke up with for being a c u next tuesday...but ya still have the little flutter in the heart for....

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Given the d*ckish behaviour so far, is it possibe that Suarez had this in his mind 8 months back when he signed the 4 year contract extension; that he wont hand in a transfer request and get a whopper payout as opposed that what he would have got on his last contract.

I think he saw it as win-win. Either he got CL football with Liverpool this year or he'd be allowed to leave to a CL club. I actually think it's pretty fair but himself and his representatives majorly screwed up on the contract.

I think he's CL quality (even though he didn't set it alight the last time he was in the group stages in 2010/11 - tough group tbh) and the intended clause was a good move, but it should have only specified non-English clubs. Remember the season before he wasn't scoring as much (hitting the post like the rest of the team) and had the 'incident' hanging over him. If he hadn't been so good last season I think people might have said fair enough if a bid came in for £40m+ from Spain and he was on his way. Also if we got CL football I think he'd honestly have been happy to stay.

Mistake was him considering another English club. I think everybody would have been all "fair enough" if it was Real Madrid coming in early in the summer, even for £40m, as even though it's not ideal it would have been hard to blame him.

His determination and likely his agent's in sounding out Arsenal for a move (presumably after approaching Real) is where the issue really lies. But I have no problem in theory of him agreeing to an extension that is intended to guarantee him CL football, I think that happens in football and would have been in Liverpool's interest also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

PRAF wrote: »
    No because in the EPL, the written contract supercedes anything else. So called verbal agreements, even if they did
    happen, have absolutely zero legal standing.

All I was saying that Suarez hasnt "officially" handed in a transfer request, just like Liverpool didnt officially put in a release clause in his contract to say he could leave if a bid of £40m+ was offered.
    Wonder does he feel the same way about his own verbal "agreement" from 8 months ago when he came out and said that he wanted to stay at Liverpool regardless of whether or notthe club had CL football?

He is entitled to change his mind, just like Liverpool changed their mind about letting him go once a direct competitor came in with a bid for Suarez. I am sure if Real came in with a proper bid, Suarez would be gone by now.

Suarez(or his agent) was a fool not to have it written explicitly into his contract that he could leave if a bid came in for him over a certain value, no matter who the team was. Well played LFC

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Each goal is met by this from the crowd

stale.gif

followed by

m8gtgk.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The key point is that FSG or John Henry don't contribute a penny to the Boston Red Sox.

Saying that the Red Sox spent $100m on players, therefore LFC should have plenty of money is just nonsense.

Red Sox generate approaching $200M a year in revenue. That's how they fund their player contracts.

Liverpool generate more than that in revenue, and wages are a bit lower. There are more expenses in sport than player wages. He probably won't need to put much of his/their money into Liverpool this season either I would say, even if they play the rot in reserves extreme card.

He is entitled to change his mind, just like Liverpool changed their mind about letting him go once a direct competitor came in with a bid for Suarez. I am sure if Real came in with a proper bid, Suarez would be gone by now.

Suarez(or his agent) was a fool not to have it written explicitly into his contract that he could leave if a bid came in for him over a certain value, no matter who the team was. Well played LFC

The stuff about loving Liverpool doesn't bother me, all players come out with that stuff, very few actually stick to it when a big offer comes in. The stuff about the British press would annoy me more, assuming he actually takes the Arsenal bid seriously.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Well if he is entitled to change his mind over verbal promises, then he should not throw his toys out of the pram when he thinks the same has been done back to him.

Guess he should have been a leaf on the wind rather than discovering once out, words become wind. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

No sign of Real. Arsenal a no-go. Is the best that can be hoped for that FSG bump up the transfer fund by an additional 30-40 million to get us through this window, with them getting the money back when we sell Suarez in the next window.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    The stuff about loving Liverpool doesn't bother me, all players come out with that stuff, very few actually stick to it when a big offer comes in. The stuff about the British press would annoy me more, assuming he actually takes the Arsenal bid seriously.

Completely agreed. he probably did mean it at the time, but I imagine the fact that Arsenal are the only team to publicly come in for Suarez, he had to change his tack, so he could get his dream of champions league football.

If I was an Arsenal fan, I wouldn't want us anywhere near Suarez. Chances are he would be gone again in a year.
    Well if he is entitled to change his mind over verbal promises, then he should not throw his toys out of the pram when he thinks the same has been done back to him.

Guess he should have been a leaf on the wind rather than discovering once out, words become wind. :D

We all know that's not how Suarez operates. He has a real bad case of "only child syndrome"

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea". :confused:

It is not about being annoyed about it, but I would love to see his reaction if the whole verbal agreement arguement he is currently making was put to him regarding his own comments.

Basically if it is not in writing then any platitudes or promises that he may have gotten verbally (or just ones he makes up to suit himself) are as worthless as the ones that came from his own mouth in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Just noticed Bernard has been sold to Shakhtar :(

Disappointed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

FSG are not going to bump any funds.

LFC is being run as a business. If it needs to borrow, it will go to a bank. If it doesn't need to borrow, it will buy things from it's own funds.

FSG are not the equivalent of Roman Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour. I think some people haven't accepted that. They are not going to pump money in. If you see Liverpool splash out 50m on Wayne Rooney it will be because LFC can afford it as a business/club.

This is a sound business model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I was an Arsenal fan, I wouldn't want us anywhere near Suarez. Chances are he would be gone again in a year.

Looking at the Arsenal thread, they now seem more concerned about lack of activity generally rather than getting moist thinking about what Suarez can do for them. And yes he'd be as much bother for them as us so they'd be wise to look elsewhere.

LFC is being run as a business. If it needs to borrow, it will go to a bank. If it doesn't need to borrow, it will buy things from it's own funds.

FSG are not the equivalent of Roman Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour. I think some people haven't accepted that. They are not going to pump money in. If you see Liverpool splash out 50m on Wayne Rooney it will be because LFC can afford it as a business/club.

Hopefully once we have the stadium built, our revenue streams should increase drastically, and put us in a really good position in the long term. I'd hate to be in Chelsea/Man City's situation in which the owner of the club could feck off tomorrow and leave us in the shít.

Completely agreed. he probably did mean it at the time, but I imagine the fact that Arsenal are the only team to publicly come in for Suarez, he had to change his tack, so he could get his dream of champions league football.

If Real come in for him he'll be gone no matter who he is at, he has publicly said it, so it does make me wonder why anybody else would buy him. I suppose if they don't bid this Summer they mightn't be interested full stop.
    It is not about being annoyed about it, but I would love to see his reaction if the whole verbal agreement arguement he is currently making was put to him regarding his own comments.

Basically if it is not in writing then any platitudes or promises that he may have gotten verbally (or just ones he makes up to suit himself) are as worthless as the ones that came from his own mouth in the past.

It'll be interesting to see if there is any press stuff tomorrow, to see his reaction to the Players association findings. That puts the nail in the coffin about the "release" clause, if Liverpool don't want to sell below a certain price, I'm not sure what he can do?

Hand in the transfer request? The club doesn't have to agree.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

RasTa wrote: »
    Why do you think it's only Arsenal interested?

Clubs in a better standing than Arsenal have had targets long identified and signed already. Perhaps if he hadn't signed the new contract last summer and made quite a few comments throughout last season saying he'll be staying at Liverpool whether they have CL to offer or not before doing a complete U-turn, other clubs would have sounded him out for a move. His behaviour (Evra, bite-gate(s), making a balls of previous moves) is also is off putting to some clubs I'm sure. It's part in reason why Liverpool did indeed sign him in the first place, a large part IMHO. I know of plenty of supporters from other clubs in the previous forum I posted in who were very keen for their club to sign him till he went all ape **** at Ajax. Some will say even before that too. Anyone here who has seen him before his time at Liverpool knew what an eejit he is. I've said it myself that he's a nutter but one with genuine world class ability. Perhaps I was naive in thinking he wouldn't stoop to such lengths again, but alas **** happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

We all know that's not how Suarez operates. He has a real bad case of "only child syndrome"

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea". :confused:

History shows he's very unlikely to be gone in a year.

But stick the mortgage on gone in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I think you misunderstood my point. I didn't mean they just give us the money and Ian Ayre scrawls an IOU on a piece of paper. I meant a bridging loan in effect, to cover us for the present window until we can dispose of an asset in the next window. Common enough in business I would have thought

• Advertisement

Hopefully once we have the stadium built, our revenue streams should increase drastically, and put us in a really good position in the long term. I'd hate to be in Chelsea/Man City's situation in which the owner of the club could feck off tomorrow and leave us in the shít.

And we'll have to pay to build the bloody thing! Hopefully FSG will negotiate loads of sponsorship deals to finance a good part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

If Real come in for him he'll be gone no matter who he is at, he has publicly said it, so it does make me wonder why anybody else would buy him. I suppose if they don't bid this Summer they mightn't be interested full stop.

He might have changed his mind again next summer and decide he wants to go somewhere else.

Hand in the transfer request? The club doesn't have to agree.

More of a general question rather than just aimed at yourself, what actually happens when a player hands in a transfer request and the club accepts. Do they have to sell him to anybody who bids, or does the club still have a big say in where the player goes?

Edit: And of course we will have to pay for the stadium, but it will bring in extra revenue. Hopefully if the stadium is funded correctly, it should give the club some additional cash flow to fund transfers. "Funded correctly" is the important thing though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Suarez is really heing crucified in the press today. I hope he's reading.

why?

he couldn't give a fúck.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

More of a general question rather than just aimed at yourself, what actually happens when a player hands in a transfer request and the club accepts. Do they have to sell him to anybody who bids, or does the club still have a big say in where the player goes?

He'll be put on the 'transfer list' with a price attached to him. The club still has to accept the offer, and the player still has to agree terms with the new club coming in.

In relation to the Telegraph article, isnt that one of the papers that Suarez went to? I also see that the Guardian (the other one) had an article about it was Suarez that appraoched them and after that they took a few digs at him.

Media eh!

If he made the move to Arsenal, and Real made a sniff next summer, Arsenal would see the same pour puss we're looking at now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    All we need is for you to photoshop Rodgers head onto a picture of the Rock and wolla :P

fJKe9IL.jpg

Funny. Weird. Funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

El Spearo wrote: »
    can't lie...that little punch of the air at the end still makes me laugh...

if he leaves this is going to be like that ex girlfriend who ya broke up with for being a c u next tuesday...but ya still have the little flutter in the heart for....

:(

That was Torres for me. So Suarez has always felt like a rebound that wouldn't last.

I was reminded yesterday of a post I put up on Facebook after the Evra 'handshake' saying we should get rid, he was doing nothing but tainting the club's image and making an arse of Kenny. At the time he wasn't exactly tearing up the goalscoring charts either. Well I was absolutely lambasted by all my Liverpool supporting mates, saying things like I was a disgrace of a supporter, I didn't know the meaning of YNWA etc etc. One clown even said he'd punch me if I was stood in front of him.

Even after all the diving, kicking Scott Parker (accidentally my b*llocks) and biting Ivanovic and just generally being a pr*ck they all still defended him.

Of course I dished it out in a new post yesterday. Told them, they got exactly what they deserved from blindly following a scumbag. And guess what? Not one of them replied to the post. :pac:

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    If he made the move to Arsenal, and Real made a sniff next summer, Arsenal would see the same pour puss we're looking at now.

Jaysus, I thought our signings were a bit under whelming so far but if they don't get Suarez it'll be a quiet window for them. They'll Probably spend £60 Million on deadline day now!

Jaysus, I thought our signings were a bit under whelming so far but if they don't get Suarez it'll be a quiet window for them. They'll Probably spend £60 Million on deadline day now!

No first team signing at all as of yet be it for the starting XI or first team squad afaik.

Think all that has come in so far for them is a kid in his late teens.

No first team signing at all as of yet be it for the starting XI or first team squad afaik.

He'll probably turn out to be Fabregas #2 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Never really had a problem with Torres bar the first game against Chelsea with him in blue (feeling was still raw of course). Maybe it'd be different had Torres reproduced his form for us at Stamford Bridge though.

It really pissed me off to see Torres go but at least he wore his heart on his sleeve; we knew by the look of him for a long time that he wanted to go.

But with Suarez, I really thought he'd give us one more season. Before the bite he didn't look like a man who was inkling for an exit. So this does hurt more Torres, which is just compounded by his behaviour as of late.

They left it late last year too IIRC.

The one positive about our dealings so far was getting it done so early, it's the first pre-season in years that didn't carry the label shop window, plus watching the signings settling in is great rather than hoping somebody would bid for Joe Cole etc. I know results don't mean a lot but it can't do us any harm anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

They left it late last year too IIRC.

Podolski was agreed before the season ended I think. Wasn't Giroud reasonably early as well? No last day histrionics, like with Arteta...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

"Any player always aspires to the highest level and Real Madrid are among the best clubs there is in the world. It would be very difficult to say no to Madrid."

Suarez then refused to say which club he dreams of playing for and says that is private between him and his family. He praises the Liverpool fans for the reception he got at Anfield recently, but reckons that's because he's worked so hard to please them.

This passage of his interview sums the guy up.

Wouldn't turn down Madrid (ok, not many would).

But won't name the club he dreams of playing for? I wonder why on earth that would be....

Oh yes, i remember now. His wife, who he was admittedly obsessed with since the age of 13, has lots of family in Barcelona. I'm no Columbo but .....

The chap will do and say what he wants to get his own way. It's a short career and he's by no means alone in that. If he cut the spoofing and spin i'd nearly be ok with his mercenary tendencies.

Does anybody honestly think Suarez will play for us again? Shirley we should be out looking for another couple of players if we are resigned to not having our start striker this season. . Not to sound off like a few other posters on here, but if we lose Suarez and dont replace him, it will have been a bit of a disaster of a transfer window

They signed Songonononono which Wenger has been bigging up in the press when asked direct questions about Suarez. It sounds like he is going to be a starting 11 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Does anybody honestly think Suarez will play for us again? Shirley we should be out looking for another couple of players if we are resigned to not having our start striker this season. . Not to sound off like a few other posters on here, but if we lose Suarez and dont replace him, it will have been a bit of a disaster of a transfer window

If he came back, apologised, gsve 100%, signed a clearer contract saying he could leave for a higher fee and only to a foreign club, and you stopped calling me Shirley, yes.

I don't think it's going to happen though and as long as he doesn;t go to arsenal, I don't care.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I actually think Suarez will be a Liverpool player after this window has finished. The fact of the matter is no one really wants him, Arsenal are the only team actually interested and after all thats gone on i reckon John Henry is a stubborn man and we will not be going to Arsenal.

Unless Real come in then he will be at Liverpool and to be honest the interest from Real has disappeared since Ancelotti got the job.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a grovelling apology within the next few days from Suarez to be honest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement