Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I've been on hols for a week, could someone post up a link to the latest Suarez and Rodgers interviews please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

the kelt wrote: »
    I actually think Suarez will be a Liverpool player after this window has finished. The fact of the matter is no one really wants him, Arsenal are the only team actually interested and after all thats gone on i reckon John Henry is a stubborn man and we will not be going to Arsenal.

Unless Real come in then he will be at Liverpool and to be honest the interest from Real has disappeared since Ancelotti got the job.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a grovelling apology within the next few days from Suarez to be honest.

This could very well happen however if not this summer then next. Suarez is a goner.

I would prefer to make the cut now a rebuild around guys who want to play for LFC. It's a shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

the kelt wrote: »
    I actually think Suarez will be a Liverpool player after this window has finished.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a grovelling apology within the next few days from Suarez to be honest.

Don't know if that'll happen but with football you never know.

I could see Luis publicly laying all the blame firmly with his agent if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

That would be hilarious if true!

Not really, Rooney going to arsenal wouldn't be good for Liverpool

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »

True, and since such a reliable source is reporting it, it looks nailed on.

James Pearce piece in the Echo re Suarez. Quite hard hitting and I found myself nodding along to a lot of it.

Apologies if it's been posted already

f Luis Suarez believed his attack on Liverpool FC would smooth his passage to Arsenal he was sadly mistaken.

All Suarez achieved in going public over his burning desire to quit Anfield and move to the capital was to prove that he has no shame.

The message from Norway, where Brendan Rodgers’ side faced Valerenga last night, was loud and clear – Liverpool have no intention of backing down in this damaging summer-long saga.

Reds officials insist there is no grey area over the contentious clause in the Uruguayan’s contract. Bids in excess of £40million from a Champions League club merely trigger the start of negotiations, they do not secure Suarez’s signature.

The 26-year-old and his agent Pere Guardiola disagree and are threatening to take legal action to prove Arsenal’s offer of £40million plus £1 must be accepted.

But if they are so confident what have they been waiting for? You can forget any misguided notion that Suarez would feel uneasy about the prospect of facing the club in court.

Suarez’s decision to use the English media, who only a few months ago he was blaming for making his life a misery, to try to crank up the pressure on Liverpool smacked of desperation.

Not for the first time in a career laden with controversy Suarez tried to portray himself as the victim. In reality he merely succeeded in showcasing his selfishness and complete disregard for those who have stood by him over the past two and a half years.

His story goes that Rodgers assured him 12 months ago that he could leave to join a Champions League club this summer if Liverpool failed to break into the top four. Rodgers insists that is not the case.

With no hint of irony, Suarez said: “Liverpool is a club with a reputation for doing things the right way, I just want them to abide by the promises made last season.”

Suarez should know all about broken promises. After all this is the same man who back in January said: “If you want to know what will happen to me if we don’t qualify for the Champions League, then I will say this: I have a contract with Liverpool and I am very happy here. I will stay.”

Video: LFC fans in Liverpool have their say on Suarez

This is the very same man who dragged Liverpool’s name through the gutter with his behaviour when he racially abused Patrice Evra. Dishing out an eight-game ban, the FA commission branded his evidence ‘unreliable’ and ‘inconsistent’.

He told Kenny Dalglish he would shake Evra’s hand and then went back on his word, leaving the club’s greatest icon embarrassed and under fire.

He told Rodgers he would clean up his act and then sunk his teeth into Branislav Ivanovic’s arm. When hit with a 10-game suspension he complained about a witchhunt and snubbed Liverpool’s offer to help him combat his demons.

He told Reds fans he needed to get away from England because his family were suffering at the hands of the UK media. Now he says his heart is set on signing for Arsenal. Broken promises, hey?

According to Suarez, he owes Liverpool nothing as he has already repaid that unwavering support with an undeniably impressive record of 51 goals in 96 games. What rubbish. A player who has clocked up 20 matches in bans and repeatedly heaped shame on the club still has a huge debt to pay.

Suarez’s public outburst represented another slap in the face to Kopites who have backed him to the hilt.

If you had asked Suarez three months ago whether he fancied signing for Arsenal, he would have scoffed. He expected to have the pick of Europe’s top clubs with Real Madrid leading the way.

However, it’s a damning indictment of his chequered past that the only club to show any interest is one which hasn’t won a trophy for eight years and only clambered into the Premier League’s top four by a single point.

Arsenal are only guaranteed a place in the Champions League play-off round, not the group stage.

That’s what Kopites find so difficult to swallow. Why Arsenal?

Are they really in a better position than the Reds to challenge for honours this season? If he wanted to leave for the bright lights of the Bernabeu there would at least be some understanding.

“I don’t think the supporters are angry,” Suarez claimed – well, maybe he should have a chat with those who made the trip to Oslo from John Lennon Airport yesterday.

The mood was split. For some, this was the straw that broke the camel’s back. They believe Suarez has now reached the point of no return and that Liverpool need to get rid as soon as possible, even if it means accepting the Gunners’ derisory offer.

If no-one is bigger than the club, then why keep hold of someone who treats it with contempt and clearly has no interest in pulling on the shirt again?

However, there are others who insist to sell him now, especially below his market value which Rodgers believes is around £55million, would represent an embarrassing climbdown by the club.

They argue it’s time to make a stand against player power and make Suarez learn some respect while he trains on his own. That way Liverpool could prove that not even millionaire footballers always get their own way.

What is certain is that Liverpool, who have handled his saga exceptionally well so far, face a tricky dilemma.

The problem for Rodgers is that Suarez’s attitude has been woeful since the Reds returned from their pre-season tour.

Team-mates have spoken about how he has been moping around the place and has put no effort into training.

The danger that keeping him will unsettle the squad has to be balanced against the fact that for all his failings as a man, Suarez is an exceptional talent – the kind of which Liverpool would find incredibly difficult to replace.

Rodgers has discovered the difficulty of attracting top class ability this summer without being able to dangle the carrot of European football.

To lose his prized asset would be a symbolic setback for a club trying to reclaim former glories.

A bumper bid from abroad would provide the ideal solution to this saga. That way Liverpool wouldn’t suffer the double whammy of losing their top scorer and strengthening a domestic rival.

That’s why the Reds’ owners are insistent that there is absolutely no chance of them sanctioning a deal with Arsenal. To let Suarez head for the Emirates would in effect be raising the white flag in terms of challenging for Champions League qualification.

Rodgers has vowed to take “strong and decisive action” after Suarez’s “total lack of respect”.

An end to this sorry mess can’t come soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

AS reporting that we've bid £12m for Granada left-back Guilherme Siqueira.

Opr

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »

I think Rooneys best days are behind him, he's not worth 40m either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Nah he'd significantly improve Arsenal imo, still a top class player who is capable of a 25 league goal season

Cracking player, he's worth what someone is willing to pay. Arsenal won't pay that money for him though so it's a moot point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This thread is only 2 weeks old and already 2/3rds full!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Poor Luis. Pics doing the round of him crying as he drives away from training. Someone has a bad case of the Mondays it seems!

I'd tell him to man up but I mightn't be allowed to attend matches at Anfield again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

SlickRic wrote: »
    why?

he couldn't give a fúck.

His strategy of speaking to the papers is a good deal about swaying opinion in his favour and away from the club. It seems to be backfiring dramatically, which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

opr wrote: »

Opr

Would have thought there are other areas of the team more in need of 12m investment. The last two LBs we were linked with were loan deals wren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Opr

Jaysus ....another left back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Nope. Strengthening our rivals for 4th. Although Suarez is by far the better player than Rooney, I think Rooney would improve them more and would be better suited. Surprised he isnt there number one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

5starpool wrote: »
    Poor Luis. Pics doing the round of him crying as he drives away from training. Someone has a bad case of the Mondays it seems!

I'd tell him to man up but I mightn't be allowed to attend matches at Anfield again.

any links?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

5starpool wrote: »

pic link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Dcully wrote: »
    pic link ?

BRFkBgcCQAIXuxX.jpg

I've seen better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Dcully wrote: »
    pic link ?

BRJng96CYAAJ-nd.jpg:large

yesterday i believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Opr

Link?

Only story from AS I see is from last night, saying they're expecting a bid from us.:confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Besides being a footballer with a high public profile, the guy does still have a personal life, hopefully nothing has happened in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

BRFkBgcCQAIXuxX.jpg

I've seen better

Well, he's not going to be very fond of the media now, that's far sure.

How abotu we bid 40,000,001 for Rooney?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Would have thought there are other areas of the team more in need of 12m investment. The last two LBs we were linked with were loan deals wren't they?
    gafferino wrote: »
    Jaysus ....another left back!

Think this guy is the one most people would like to see us get. While Enrique improved dramatically over the course of the season i still think it's an area we can upgrade in. Full backs are very important to how Rodger's want to play so getting the ones he thinks suits his system I would think are at the top of the list.
    Slimity wrote: »
    Link?

Only story from AS I see is from last night, saying they're expecting a bid from us.:confused:

Seen it on twitter

Rise Of The Kop ‏@RiseOfTheKop 21m
    #LFC have bid £12m for Granada left-back Guilherme Siqueira, according to AS.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Absolutely nothing. It's the online equivalent of getting financial advice from a tramp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Seen it on twitter

Opr[/QUOTE]

Think they're all copying one account who has jumped the gun.

Seen it on twitter

Opr

Errr, what's AS?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

daRobot wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing. It's the online equivalent of getting financial advice from a tramp.

12564-19933.gif

K-9 wrote: »
    Errr, what's AS?

Diario AS , sports paper in Spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

KingJamsie wrote: »
    BRJng96CYAAJ-nd.jpg:large
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

daRobot wrote: »

To be fair, the tramp MAY have been a Financial Advisor who took his own advice and invested in Irish property...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

mike65 wrote: »
    By who? Liverpool or his agent? His agents job (along with any legal representative - which he should have) is to read and understand a contract in every respect.

Don't get me wrong, the suarez camp a fully to blame for the contract situation now, its just my feeling that whoever pitched suarez the contract may have purposely deceived him, the clause makes no sense what so ever.

If this is the case then it wouldn't be a total surprise if he does act up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Any good reliable sources to follow on Twitter for transfers.

Diario AS , sports paper in Spain

Seems Real are interested so doesn't look that likely. How reliable is it?
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, the suarez camp a fully to blame for the contract situation now, its just my feeling that whoever pitched suarez the contract may have purposely deceived him, the clause makes no sense what so ever.

I highly doubt it is the case, if he was that bothered about it I'm sure he'd have got a solicitor to look at it, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Would love if the siqueira rumours were true, but I would be very surprised if we get him.

Luap wrote: »
    Any good reliable sources to follow on Twitter for transfers.

Nope. Some are more makey up than others, but none are what I would describe as reliable. It's a rumour merry go round, that you either ignore or embrace with a truckload of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think Kess and Nuri had a discussion yesterday about Siqueira and how he wants to go to Real Madrid.

More than good enough for us but apparently Granada are going to help him get his wish so it will be a bit of a coup if we do manage to get him to Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Suarez will only have 2 years left on his contact next Summer so he'd be able to buy it out wouldn't he? We could end up losing him for 12 million then. I wouldn't put it past him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Suarez will only have 2 years left on his contact next Summer so he'd be able to buy it out wouldn't he? We could end up losing him for 12 million then. I wouldn't put it past him either.

The Guy wouldn't hand in a Transfer Request, so he wouldn't Lose a Few Millions, but is now going to Buy himself out for 12M?

I highly doubt that.

I think the player has to be over 28 and have just 1 year left on his contract? Not 100%, but that seems to be what this article is saying anyway...

http://www.ibtimes.com/sportsnet/manchester-united-news-rooney-could-buy-himself-out-united-contract-next-year-1221545

Morzadec wrote: »
    Nah he'd significantly improve Arsenal imo, still a top class player who is capable of a 25 league goal season

Rooney if he can apply himself and has the right attitude will make Arsenal a much better team.

A new challenge at Arsenal could be just what Rooney needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Explain please? I was under the understanding we could still get 40 mill next year with 2 years to go.

Rooney if he can apply himself and has the right attitude will make Arsenal a much better team.

A new challenge at Arsenal could be just what Rooney needs

Agreed. Rooney is an excellent player wasted at Utd. He is constantly overlooked for the better looking european players. The fact that he can do a job out wide or in the middle means his career has suffered. He needs a move. Chelski would be real contenders with Rooney up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Why not try offer Suarez to Atletico? CL qualified plus could work out cheaper for them (20m?) if they throw in Diego Costa.

I actually think he'd suit their team more than Real's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

The Guy wouldn't hand in a Transfer Request, so he wouldn't Lose a Few Millions, but is now going to Buy himself out for 12M?

I highly doubt that.

Of course he would!!

Do you think a penny of that £12 million would ultimately come out of his own pockets??

Whoever gets him promises him that figure plus a few mill on top as a signing-on-fee , and both the new club and player have got themselves bargains relative to £40 million.

of course that's making a truck load of assumptions such as he stays injury free, doesnt do anything nuts like kill a stray dog that has run onto the pitch and plays good football. None of those are guaranteed!

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »

I don't agree.

If its written in the contract that LFC will enter into negotiations then its his own fault for not having his team read the contract and question every point.

It's actually a very smart clause.

If it was a regular sell on clause and Suarez had not gotten suspended he could have easily gone on to been top scorer and player of the year only to have been sold for 40m while Bale went for 100m. If that happened evey one would be saying how LFC were fools

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement