Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Read my previous posts last season and this summer. I've been one of the pro- Rodgers camp and argued vehemently in his defence.

I have also been one of the posters on here to call for time, in relation to calling FSG out over being too cautious.

I also fail to see where I have shown anti-Rodgers sentiment in my initial post. Theres not much he can do within the current structure in fairness in terms of spending money that is clearly not available until players are sold.

The club is too busy celebrating saving X amount per week off the wagebill. Anyone happy with this summer's business or indeed believe it shows the ambition of a club seeking to move up the table, are living in dreamland.

Far too many accountants on this thread! Really all you have is a feeling.

And there are very few happy with the transfer dealings as of today.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

I am pie wrote: »
    Obviously Suarez will be sold, that has been fairly evident for months, even thoiugh we might have tried to fool ourselves.

You have constructed another ridiculous situation where the manager cannot or is unlikely to satisfy to confirm your own bias.

Complete non sequitor.

Do you believe the club would have been willing to invest in first team players on the basis that Suarez was staying put?

Its obvious whats needed, lets call a spade a spade. Without selling our star player, do you think these owners were willing to strengthen the first XI in way thats plain to see, we needed to do?

The fact some folks show no alarm to the fact we seem to be threading water once again, another star player has seen a lack of ambition to push on and is seeking an exit.

Are you happy with the ambition the club are showing to improve us?

Everyone is happy to see a healthier financial position of course, but are you happy with the ambition being shown?

Keep in mind, everyone seems to be talking about the "Top 4", i've not seen anyone mention the fact that numerous clubs in the top 8 have closed the gap in terms of signing quality.

Southampton signing Lovren and Wanyama, Swansea signing Bony, even Newcastle signing Remy on loan. These are clubs who have addressed weaknesses in their squad.

We have simply rolled the dice once again. Cautious, budget signings in the hope of cracking the big time when it theory it may amount to being worse than standing still. Especially if our main source of goals departs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Do you believe the club would have been willing to invest in first team players on the basis that Suarez was staying put?

Its obvious whats needed, lets call a spade a spade. Without selling our star player, do you think these owners were willing to strengthen the first XI in way thats plain to see, we needed to do?

The fact some folks show no alarm to the fact we seem to be threading water once again, another star player has seen a lack of ambition to push on and is seeking an exit.

Everyone is happy to see a healthier financial position of course, but are you happy with the ambition being shown?

Keep in mind, everyone seems to be talking about the "Top 4", i've not seen anyone mention the fact that numerous clubs in the top 8 have closed the gap in terms of signing quality.

Southampton signing Lovren and Wanyama, Swansea signing Bony, even Newcastle signing Remy on loan. These are clubs who have addressed weaknesses in their squad.

We have simply rolled the dice once again. Cautious, budget signings in the hope of cracking the big time when it theory it may amount to being worse than standing still. Especially if our main source of goals departs.

I like you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Hello everybody, just back from a 3 month 'ahem' holiday!

Did I miss anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Did I miss anything?

Go back on holiday. Probably best.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Go back on holiday. Probably best.

Nah, that would mean I would have to be a naughty boy again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I am pie wrote: »
    No, but it forms part of the 10 commandments of attacking Rodgers/FSG for a certain group of the more hysterical fans.

If they say it out loud enough times it becomes true.....

Perfect example of the types of posts that are as bad as the anti Rodgers ones, yet seem to get a free pass on the thread. Nobody has proof that we have to sell to buy...just as nobody has proof that we don't. But to completey dismiss the idea that it could be the case as nothing more than an anti-FSG/Rodgers is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nah, that would mean I would have to be a naughty boy again ;)

Oh. OH! Them holidays.

Then welcome back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did I miss anything?

We won stuff, sold stuff and bought stuff. But not enough of the latter to keep the dissidents at bay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Did I miss anything?
    Nah...

Same sh!t, different day.

But welcome back anyway.

Any pics?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Did I miss anything?

The finest maths lesson the world has ever known.

If we fail to sign at least 2 players, it's 6th place again. That's with Suarez staying. 3-4 if he goes.

The league starts in 9 days and it's turing into last summer all over again :o

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The finest maths lesson the world has ever known.

I saw that alright, pretty funny!

Can I just say whoever put that pic up of Rodgers dishing out a rock bottom, very good well played! Brilliant!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If we fail to sign at least 2 players, it's 6th place again. That's with Suarez staying. 3-4 if he goes.

The most frustrating thing is just how incredibly predictable it's all been so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

8th, 7th, 6th

Progress!

• Advertisement

8th, 7th, 6th

Progress!

I bet you're not even joking :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

8th, 7th, 6th

Progress!

This is what happens when you lose sight of what you are arguing. You are just arguing with Alan at this stage.

You support FSG and Rogers. We get that. And it is perfectly fine. You can still admit that we are leaving things worryingly late or maybe even admit that progress is a little bit too slow relative to what other clubs around us are doing.

This is what happens when you lose sight of what you are arguing. You are just arguing with Alan at this stage.

You support FSG and Rogers. We get that. And it is perfectly fine. You can still admit that we are leaving things worryingly late or maybe even admit that progress is a little bit too slow relative to what other clubs around us are doing.

Seriously?

I have not interacted with Alan in any way tonight

And yes, I was joking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Seriously?

I have not interacted with Alan in any way tonight

And yes, I was joking

Alan and co's views that things are going pretty poorly.

And your pedantic assertion that improving our position one place per season is progress.

Alan and co's views that things are going pretty poorly.

And your pedantic assertion that improving our position one place per season is progress.

It was a joke ffs. I don't put exclamation marks after serious comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Downing to Newcastle with Ben Arfa coming to us....you heard it here 1st :):)

billy2012 wrote: »

Another moody fcuker. Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

billy2012 wrote: »

We'd get more games out of Darren Anderton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You should call up Kinnear and say you want to buy Ben Afro and Yohan Kebab. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just thinking, why include a 40m we can let you know but not let you go clause. Seems incredibly stupid and will just unsettle the player.

Does that part of the clause exist and confirmed by Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Kirby wrote: »
    You should call up Kinnear and say you want to buy Ben Afro and Yohan Kebab. :P

Tell him throw in Daddy Sissy as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Cissoko has agreed terms with us but valencia want to sell rather then loan and their presidents jimmies are still rustled over the chirivella deal

RasTa wrote: »
    Just thinking, why include a 40m we can let you know but not let you go clause. Seems incredibly stupid and will just unsettle the player.

Why don't you google it?

klose wrote: »
    Cissoko has agreed terms with us but valencia want to sell rather then loan and their presidents jimmies are still rustled over the chirivella deal

Jaysus we have been hearing that since June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Perfect example of the types of posts that are as bad as the anti Rodgers ones, yet seem to get a free pass on the thread. Nobody has proof that we have to sell to buy...just as nobody has proof that we don't. But to completey dismiss the idea that it could be the case as nothing more than an anti-FSG/Rodgers is ridiculous.

That was a pretty clear cut anti-FSG post though, its a feeling he has based on no evidence whatsoever as he says himself.

Their track record shows they spend more than they have already this Summer, plus Rodgers has said money is available and he wants 1 or 2 more signings. We went after Mk pretty early on and nobody knows if that was a money or Dortmund problem. Bid has supposedly gone in for Costas, which unless they withdraw it, looks like they are the front runners. Everything points to them spending more or less what they usually do in the Summer, on top of the £20 Million in January. Not City type spending but significant.

Talk about Suarez not getting backed, Carroll, Downing, Henderson and Adam were bought, Cotinho, Borini, Aspas, Alberto and Sturridge have come in during the last year with interest in more support for him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why don't you google it?

Helpful as always. So much hate from you lately, why aren't you pissed at the club for including it if that's the case. First time I've heard of such a clause.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Google "gordon taylor luis suarez".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

All over Twitter that Henry goes to town on Suarez. Bunch of wums this twitter if you know something just put it up stop teasing !!

Helpful as always. So much hate from you lately, why aren't you pissed at the club for including it if that's the case. First time I've heard of such a clause.

No problem, I wish you well.

The boss speaks
    Henry says he warned Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis before Arsenal offered £40,000,001 that there was no prospect of any deal between clubs fighting for the same Champions League places.

Liverpool rank Arsenal as the last club they would negotiate with, especially following their provocative bid designed to activate an exit clause, which the Anfield board are adamant does not exist.

Henry says even it is too late even to consider a bid from overseas because there is no time to sign an alternative of Suárez’s class.

The South American now faces isolation, left to determine how he can rehabilitate himself into the squad after the transfer window, although he told Spanish newspaper Marca he still wanted an amicable resolution. “My aim is to reach an agreement with the club in a friendly manner and I hope the clause we agreed a year ago is fulfilled,” he said.

But the message from Henry was blunt. “We are not going to sell Luis. It’s a football reason. It’s not finances. At this point, so late in window, with everyone who’s already moved or isn’t moving, we do not have time to replace him.

“So for football reasons we can’t – and especially to Arsenal. We’ve made that clear. I have said to Ivan Gazidis in a personal conversation that we will not sell to Arsenal. It is unequivocal, but that doesn’t seem to slow them down so I can’t wait to see what the next bid is.
    “We’re not in Europe this year and have not been in the Champions League for a while. To sell to a rival for those Champions League positions, or one of them, would be ludicrous. Whatever the bid is, we won’t sell him. We need Luis. Hopefully this will pass.”
    Suárez trained alone at Melwood again yesterday, banished for publicly criticising the club for not selling him.
    Liverpool would rather keep the player against his will than allow him to damage their top-four aspirations by moving to the Emirates, and Henry is livid the confidential details of Suárez’s contract were shown to the Arsenal board.
    “It should have been confidential, so absolutely it concerns me,” said Henry. “How does a club that doesn’t have permission to speak with your player see his contract?
    “Unfortunately, it’s the way it works in football. People don’t speak about it publicly but that’s the way it’s run. It’s how things are done. I don’t think there’s a point reporting Arsenal because it just seems to happen everywhere, throughout football.
    “I think Gordon Taylor is right when he says it’s not good for either side to have any clause. It’s not good for football and maybe the Professional Footballers’ Association can do something about this.”
    Liverpool’s despair is accentuated by the fact that they have stood by Suárez through his numerous tribulations, but Henry believes there is a way back into the fold once his ­current suspension for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic is over.
    “That’s going to be between the manager and player,” said Henry. “The manager is upset, as he should be, the supporters are, Luis is, but that’s going to be between those two and his team-mates. He’s one of the best players in the world. I have no reason to believe he won’t continue to be.
    “If you look at the full context of what’s happened here, it’s jarring to all our supporters. The club has stood by him so strongly at a time you could question whether the club should have stood by him, but they did.
    “There’s a saying in baseball about loyalty to the uniform. There’s a ­certain feeling you get when you put on a uniform as a baseball player and I’m certain it’s the same for most football players. When you put on the uniform it’s pretty special. I’d imagine for most footballers to put on the uniform of Liverpool Football Club is a big moment.”
    Henry says Liverpool are still working on deals for new recruits – one of which is understood to be the £24million purchase of the Brazilian striker Diego Costa from Atlético Madrid – and finishing in the Premier League top four remains the ambition this season.
    The Merseyside club’s global support was demonstrated during their recent tour of Australia and the Far East, but Henry insists it is essential that they consolidate on such enduring appeal with one-field success.
    “This club can’t not be in the Champions League,” he said. “It needs to be playing in Europe. It needs to be playing in the Champions League. That’s what Liverpool Football Club is about.
    “I have high expectations. We had a very good second half of last season and the reports from training and the feeling within the club among the players is good. I think we will ­surprise people this year. It will be disappointing if we don’t.
    “The reality was there were 95,000 people watching us in Melbourne.
    “It may well be romantic. Players usually want to win. They want to go, generally in any sport, where they can win. That’s why I think this particular episode is misguided.
    “The message is that the club is heading in the right direction. This episode is not going to stop us. That’s what we are all focused on right now.”

He's adamant we are not selling to Arsenal. I hope he means it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

No wonder Suarez was crying. He pretty much closed the exit door in his face there, barring a big offer from Madrid that would be too good to turn down even with the little time left.

Like rarnes said, I very much hope he's sincere.

Right so, get the photo-shop out. I'd like to see Henry stone cold stunner Gazidis

He's adamant we are not selling to Arsenal. I hope he means it.

Yep. Great news.

• Advertisement

Good strong message from Henry. No to arsenal under any circumstances. Thats what I wanted to hear, to be honest I could never see us sanction a transfer with them FSG would be crucified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Cissokho is confirmed apparently.

He'll go up in my estimation if he keeps his word and adds some signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

He couldn't be any more emphatic about Suarez. Great to hear those words. Suppose it's over to Suarez for the next move

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Just saw the pictures of Suarez crying. Jesus, man up son.

He'll go up in my estimation if he keeps his word and adds some signings.

Ambitious good signing please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

I can see Suarez being sold in the winter transfer window to a European team as a none CL cuped tied player and maybe a bidding war will start then for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Augmerson wrote: »
    man up son.
    Thats you banned from Anfield now :P

daithijjj wrote: »

where have you seen this?

Augmerson wrote: »
    Just saw the pictures of Suarez crying. Jesus, man up son.

Real men cry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

daithijjj wrote: »

Got a link/tweet?

Latest I saw was that there is an agreement between LFC and player, but the two clubs hadn't agreed on whether it was to be loan or permanent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement