Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

amber69 wrote: »
    It may do the opposite and galvanise the
    team

I hope so.
    T-K-O wrote: »
    I don't see how to be honest, only Luis and BR will ever know the truth.

You know yourself, some people can form certain clicks and manipulate weak people. I do hope Suarez is telling fibs and it all works out well. I'm just thinking worst case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Ex Manager Roy.. now likes the look of scouser Ricky Lambert, Its a pity he didn't like the look of him four years ago, we might not of end up with Andy Carrol.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

When was the last time a club up'ed the bid by a cent?

Exactly. Good night.

I really dont know why im bothering but anyway. The bid wasn't upped by a pound, it was upped by ten million and one pound. I know it sounds better for you and others in the thread, to ridicule Arsenal by saying that they upped it by just a pound, but what I said was the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I really dont know why im bothering but anyway. The bid wasn't upped by a pound, it was upped by ten million and one pound. I know it sounds better for you and others in the thread, to ridicule Arsenal by saying that they upped it by just a pound, but what I said was the reality of the situation.

So every news channel and website is wrong :confused:

Edit, I did not ridicule Arsenal, not once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

So every news channel and website is wrong :confused:

Edit, I did not ridicule Arsenal, not once.

From what I have read, Arsenal originally came in with a bid of ~30Million which was rejected. The second bid was 40 million and 1 pound. Apologies on my part for saying you in particular are ridiculing Arsenal, but quite a few Liverpool fans enjoyed ridiculing Arsenal over the 1pound part of the bid to activate a so called clause.

Anyway this sorry affair has probably harmed relations between the two clubs and its fans over a player that really isnt worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

From what I have read, Arsenal originally came in with a bid of ~30Million which was rejected. The second bid was 40 million and 1 pound. Apologies on my part for saying you in particular are ridiculing Arsenal, but quite a few Liverpool fans enjoyed ridiculing Arsenal over the 1pound part of the bid to activate a so called clause.

Anyway this sorry affair has probably harmed relations between the two clubs and its fans over a player that really isnt worth the hassle.

I was having a pointless conversation about professionalism that was ultimately going nowhere.

Personally I ( and most LFC fans) have no issue with Arsenal. I'm sure both clubs will move on once the league starts.

Not going to lie, I'll be delighted if you guys don't get him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Ex Manager Roy.. now likes the look of scouser Ricky Lambert, Its a pity he didn't like the look of him four years ago, we might not of end up with Andy Carrol.:)

Didn't Kenny sign Carroll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Can someone explain why Henry is always referred to as the "principal" owner.

Does the group FSG not own the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think he is FSG's biggest shareholder, so would in effect own more of the club than anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Grayditch wrote: »
    It was unprofessional, politically incorrect, disrespectful and immature. It was hilarious. I'm so glad it happened.

Spot on. And we move on. The owner has now said he's doing nowhere this summer, I believe that. Rooney and Tevez have both come back from the brink of leaving and played for their clubs regularly again.

Luis is currently undervalued due to his ban and the fresh memories of the reasons for the ban. If he gets back on the pitch, does what he's good at, and still wants to leave in Jan, I can see it happening then.

In fact, all along I said I thought he'd stay now and leave in Jan to a CL team who needed a goals boost (maybe a Monaco or Real?), since he won't be cup tied...

In other news...

Sterling, Wisdom and Robinson in the U21 squad. I expect Raheem and Andre to start, Wisdom potentially as captain?
    And Spearing looks to be off, good for all parties...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Monaco aren't in the CL

Monaco aren't in the CL

Oh yeh! Well, you get the idea. I do think they will be shopping again in Jan.

I still think Real are the most likely, if Barca make a fast start to the league, it would be an investment Real could make that would definately return goals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dickerty wrote: »
    Oh yeh! Well, you get the idea. I do think they will be shopping again in Jan.

I still think Real are the most likely, if Barca make a fast start to the league, it would be an investment Real could make that would definately return goals...

Especially with neymar and messi. Real will need a guy who scores goals on the regular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

john henry owns more shares than anyone else. when FSG decide to invest in a company it is usually becuase one of its partners wants to invest. the group decide if they would like to invest and the partner that initially wanted the investment buys the most shares with a few of the others backing him. it is a way for them to invest without having to go it alone and risk everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Carra on Sky news now (turn on subtitles) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Henry's outburst was brilliant.

end of.

the whole thing has been public because of Suarez's antics.

i don't believe his statement was necessarily designed to get at Arsenal, though he obviously does question how they had details of Suarez's contract.

the outburst was primarily designed to put Suarez in his place.

is this not the "old school", heart-on-your-sleeve stuff that loads of traditionalists should be fawning over?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-boss-brendan-rodgers-5683553

Brendan Rodgers is hoping Daniel Agger will demonstrate his loyalty to Liverpool FC by spurning the advances of Barcelona.

The Spanish giants have contacted the Reds to express their interest in signing the Denmark international centre-back.

Anfield officials insist no formal bid has been received but sources close to the player claim an initial offer of £17million has been rejected.

With Jamie Carragher having retired and uncertainty surrounding the future of Martin Skrtel, who is wanted by Zenit St Petersburg, Rodgers knows he can ill afford to lose Agger so close to the start of the new Premier League season.

The 28-year-old, who has been at Anfield since 2006, penned a new long-term contract last October. However, Agger has previously

admitted that Barcelona are the only club he would consider leaving for.

“Daniel has been brilliant for me,” Rodgers said.

“He is one of the players who is being considered for the vice-captaincy.

“The one thing I got from Daniel Agger from our very first conversation is loyalty. He has given me his word that he loves Liverpool and I will expect him to be here this season.”

Agger missed the midweek friendly in Oslo after having fluid drained from his knee.

He will be assessed today before deciding whether he travels for tomorrow’s game against Celtic in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

On the Agger thing. Why has the vice captain not been announced by now?? Between that and Suarez, the whole story is playing out like a script from Corrie or Eastenders!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-boss-brendan-rodgers-5683553

Stewart Downing has hailed the return of Daniel Sturridge as the Liverpool FC striker prepares to make his comeback in tomorrow’s final friendly against Celtic in Dublin.

The £12million man is expected to feature in the 50,000 sell-out clash at the Aviva Stadium after recovering from the ankle injury he suffered on England duty back in May.

Sturridge was passed fit to get back involved in full training earlier this week and Downing admits his availability is timely with the Premier League opener against Stoke City just eight days away.

“Daniel has looked really sharp and it’s great to see him back training again,” Downing said.

“Whatever happens with Luis Suarez, he’s suspended for the first six matches anyway so Daniel is going to be very important for us.

“Hopefully he can get some minutes against Celtic and then be ready for the Stoke game. It’s a big plus for us to have him back fit before the start of the season.”

Sturridge netted 11 goals in 16 appearances following his January move from Chelsea and Downing says the England international gave the Reds a new attacking dimension.

“The gaffer brought him in at a good time,” Downing said.

“We needed an injection of goals and he provided that.

“He settled in very quickly and I think he really enjoyed playing every week after being on the fringes down at Chelsea.

“He’s got great ability, pace and strength.

“He causes defenders a lot of problems and if he carries on where he left off last season we’ll be delighted.”

After being left out of the two previous friendlies, Downing played the opening 45 minutes of Wednesday’s 4-1 win over Valerenga in Oslo.

He produced an impressive display down the right flank and is looking to force his way back into boss Brendan Rodgers’s plans.

Downing was recently informed he could leave for a fee of around £5million but at the moment he’s focused on staying put and fighting for his place.

“At a club like Liverpool you need players competing for a shirt,” he said.

“I didn’t think we really had that last season as we were a bit short on numbers.

“But this season there is real competition, especially going forward, and hopefully that can help push us on a bit.

“The manager said he wanted to sign players who would bring more goals to the group and both Iago Aspas and Luis Alberto have done well so far.

“Then there’s Sturridge, Fabio Borini, Raheem Sterling, Jordon Ibe and myself. There’s also Luis and obviously the club have put a bid in for Diego Costa as well.

“Of course people aren’t happy if they aren’t playing but having competition keeps everyone on their toes.”

• Advertisement

i think Henry's comments where brillinat and if he sticks by them i think he would have gained support that he never would have thought possible. i think we should make suarez play and train with the reserves until the arsenal game. it would mean that we are effectively banning him for an extra 3 games but they are games we could potentially do without him. make him realize that he isnt the most important thing about the club. even if we forced him to play with the resies for the season it would keep arsenal from playing him. we have to look strong now and put him in his place. hopefully we sign costa and papa and make suarez work to get back into OUR team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SlickRic wrote: »
    Henry's outburst was brilliant.

end of.

the whole thing has been public because of Suarez's antics.

i don't believe his statement was necessarily designed to get at Arsenal, though he obviously does question how they had details of Suarez's contract.

the outburst was primarily designed to put Suarez in his place.

is this not the "old school", heart-on-your-sleeve stuff that loads of traditionalists should be fawning over?

I like my managers to be gruff and no nonesense in their dealings with the media; and I like my owners to say little but be professional on the occassions they do talk.

If Arsenal did come back with £60m he has to sell. Might be unlikely you'd say, as unlikely as an English team being the ones with the bid when his contract was being inked last year maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

gafferino wrote: »

Stewart Downing has hailed the return of Daniel Sturridge as the Liverpool FC striker prepares to make his comeback in tomorrow’s final friendly against Celtic in Dublin.

The £12million man is expected to feature in the 50,000 sell-out clash at the Aviva Stadium after recovering from the ankle injury he suffered on England duty back in May.

Sturridge was passed fit to get back involved in full training earlier this week and Downing admits his availability is timely with the Premier League opener against Stoke City just eight days away.

“Daniel has looked really sharp and it’s great to see him back training again,” Downing said.

“Whatever happens with Luis Suarez, he’s suspended for the first six matches anyway so Daniel is going to be very important for us.

“Hopefully he can get some minutes against Celtic and then be ready for the Stoke game. It’s a big plus for us to have him back fit before the start of the season.”

Sturridge netted 11 goals in 16 appearances following his January move from Chelsea and Downing says the England international gave the Reds a new attacking dimension.

“He settled in very quickly and I think he really enjoyed playing every week after being on the fringes down at Chelsea.

“He causes defenders a lot of problems and if he carries on where he left off last season we’ll be delighted.”

After being left out of the two previous friendlies, Downing played the opening 45 minutes of Wednesday’s 4-1 win over Valerenga in Oslo.

He produced an impressive display down the right flank and is looking to force his way back into boss Brendan Rodgers’s plans.

Downing was recently informed he could leave for a fee of around £5million but at the moment he’s focused on staying put and fighting for his place.

“I didn’t think we really had that last season as we were a bit short on numbers.

“But this season there is real competition, especially going forward, and hopefully that can help push us on a bit.

“The manager said he wanted to sign players who would bring more goals to the group and both Iago Aspas and Luis Alberto have done well so far.

“Then there’s Sturridge, Fabio Borini, Raheem Sterling, Jordon Ibe and myself. There’s also Luis and obviously the club have put a bid in for Diego Costa as well.

“Of course people aren’t happy if they aren’t playing but having competition keeps everyone on their toes.”

This Suarez saga might be another opportunity for Downing. Otherwise, I'd expect him to be sold.

personally if we get 25 million or more for agger id sell him. for that alone we could afford Papa and toby and almost Llori aswell. a young new defence that can grow into a strong partnership. agger is brilliant and has been so loyal but 25 million for an injury prone defender is too much to turn down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is that a real quote? Confirms we are very interested still so.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If Arsenal did come back with £60m he has to sell. Might be unlikely you'd say, as unlikely as an English team being the ones with the bid when his contract was being inked last year maybe.

oh, i believe he'd sell for £60m.

i think he's made his statement assuming that Arsenal will never up their bid by 50%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Paulegend wrote: »
    personally if we get 25 million or more for agger id sell him. for that alone we could afford Papa and toby and almost Llori aswell. a young new defence that can grow into a strong partnership. agger is brilliant and has been so loyal but 25 million for an injury prone defender is too much to turn down

Not sure myself. Firstly, with Carra and Pepe gone, I'm not sure any more changes in defence are a good idea. Secondly, if we do sell, should we not be going after a left sided CB like Sakho?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

if selling Suarez meant Liverpool brought in Muriel and Lamela would people be upset with that?

Theres a few more signings needed before we could be happy with the squad. I still reckon centre midfield needs to be improved upon but it doesnt look like a priority

slingerz wrote: »
    if selling Suarez meant Liverpool brought in Muriel and Lamela would people be upset with that?

we're not going to get either, don't do it to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Paulegend wrote: »

Do you think Rodgers has the time to gamble on this cos I don't! It would take some balls/courage for him to go into the new season with two new CB's at the club. If it failed it would almost certainly cost him his job at the end of the year and I don't think he'd risk it.

People seem to think that every player we buy is gonna fit seamlessly into the system/club and take to it like a duck to water. We should know better than that with our recent transfer dealings. Some will (Coutinho, Suarez, Sturridge), some won't (Borini, Downing, Henderson, Carroll). If Rodgers brought in two new CB's as his first choice pairing and they were more Piechnik and Bjornebye than Hyypia and Henchoz we'd be looking at finishing 7th or 8th again, no European football and Rodgers would probably get the bullet. Rodgers doesn't have the time for a young new defence to grow into themselves, he could be out of a job by a couple of years before the club reaps the benefits.

Too much of a risk to take imo. Keep Agger and bring in another CB. Agger, Touré and one new CB would do for me. At least Touré is proven in the Premier League so much less of a risk with him.

SlickRic wrote: »
    oh, i believe he'd sell for £60m.

i think he's made his statement assuming that Arsenal will never up their bid by 50%.

That's it in a nutshell I'd say. Not a hope in hell they will pay that much

• Advertisement

“Then there’s Sturridge, Fabio Borini, Raheem Sterling, Jordon Ibe and myself. There’s also Luis and obviously the club have put a bid in for Diego Costa as well.”

So I guess that's not a secret then! Interesting.

Based on the current squad, here is my starting XI for Stoke -

Mignolet
    Johnson-Toure-Agger-Enrique
    Lucas

Gerrard
    Allen
    ---Aspas
    Coutinho--
    Sturridge

Subs: Jones, Skrtel, Kelly, Henderson, Sterling, Downing, Borini
    Not In Squad: Coates, Wisdom, Alberto, Ibe, Assaidi, Flanagan

Once Luis is back, he's in for Allen with Coutinho dropping back (in more attacking games), or for Aspas as a more like for like.

I think we need to move Flanagan on, get a good loan for Coates, and if we can get an upgrade on Skrtel (with Toure dropping to the bench), then great!

So what will Suarez's comeback game be if he stays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mignolet
    Lucas

Gerrard
    Allen
    ---Aspas
    Coutinho--
    Sturridge

Once Luis is back, he's in for Allen with Coutinho dropping back (in more attacking games), or for Aspas as a more like for like.

I think we need to move Flanagan on, get a good loan for Coates, and if we can get an upgrade on Skrtel (with Toure dropping to the bench), then great!

Wha? He won't play again for LFC. Nearly stake my heart on it. That teams looks about right for Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

rarnes1 wrote: »

Rotherham Athletic U21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If Gazidis was told there is no clause, the first thing i would do (in his shoes) is bid £40 +1. If there's no clause, there's nothing to worry about. The bid will be rejected. If there is a clause, then you get the player for a cheaper price.

Clause or no clause, Henry was never going to actually tell Gazidis the truth!! you're telling me he'd have said "pssst Ivan, dont tell anybody but he has a >£40m release clause"???

Come off it indeed. Gazidis did what anybody else would do.

And as i said, and keep repeating, a cheeky response is fine and there's ways and means to do that without taking to Twitter to rip the piss. Or release statements mocking them.

Clearly you disagree but i'm telling ya this won't do Liverpool any favours. you reckon Aston Villa or Man Utd or anybody else won't care?? Course they will.

If both Henry and Daniel Levy ring up Randy Lerner and say "i want your goalkeeper £10 million", course he'd rather do business with Levy. Because however it pans out he there is no potential public ridicule on Twitter and social media.

That sort of stuff may seem innocuous and pointless to ya, and fair enough, but that stuff matters in business and in life.

Thing is there is no release clause, there is a clause to hold a discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Suarez is meant to be back for Sunderland on the 29th of September

rarnes1 wrote: »

Sky Sports presents:

"SUAREZ SUNDAY - THE RETURN OF THE KING VILLAIN"

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Suarez is meant to be back for Sunderland on the 29th of September

He'll be available for the Capital Cup match on 23/24 Sep if we get past the mighty Notts County in the 2nd round, assuming he is at the club still that is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Mignolet
    Lucas

Gerrard
    Allen
    ---Aspas
    Coutinho--
    Sturridge

I like that starting 11. But Assaidi is going to on loan to QPR, so he defintiely wont be in the squad.
    I think that Assaidi is a good player, I think we have seen that, but he's more of an out and out winger that hugs the line. So he doesnt really suit how we line out.

rob316 wrote: »
    Is that a real quote? Confirms we are very interested still so.

hmmm well its from the echo website and they start the sentence with quote marks but finish it with a full stop. So its either a quote, half a quote or just bad punctuation. Make of it what you will :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Cissohko quotes
    "Liverpool have made me an offer and it is true that I have reached an agreement with them," he told Le 10 Sport. "It is now up to the clubs to agree terms. I expect to know more later this week.

"If nothing happens this week, it probably means that I will not be going to Liverpool.

"The conditions of the transfer are the problem. Liverpool prefer a loan deal with an option to buy, while Valencia want to sell straight away. If the transfer doesn't take place, it's not a problem either. I am feeling well at Valencia."

It looks like he has agreed terms, just up to the clubs to decide on loan or transfer. Not quite done and dusted yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Wrong thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cissokho is uninspiring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Hope he is better than Momo Sissoko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Bye bye Jay, you tried your best, good luck with Bolton!

BRNx13nCcAAWxlA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Cissokho is uninspiring.

I played left-back. Left-backs are never inspiring.

I played left-back. Left-backs are never inspiring.

It's going to give Enrique a well needed kick in the hind quarters to up his game. We know he can be good, but he needs to be consistently good, which he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Tsk.... All lies. I'm clearly not gone yet. That's photoshopped.

Anyway,

Here's a good deal. Not sure if it's open to Ireland though

http://content.paddypower.com/ppc-pages/sportsbook/affiliates/lfc-shirt-promo-mpu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

HazDanz wrote: »
    Not trying to be subtle. It's how I see it. Do you disagree? What do you think will happen this coming season without Suarez leading the lines fully focused? I just can't see him putting in as much effort.

Not biter at all btw. I was a pro- Higuain anti Suarez for baggage reasons man. I'll be happy once the club gets another decent striker who can do a job in.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I like that starting 11. But Assaidi is going to on loan to QPR, so he defintiely wont be in the squad.
    I think that Assaidi is a good player, I think we have seen that, but he's more of an out and out winger that hugs the line. So he doesnt really suit how we line out.

Interestingly, against Valarenga, his best moments were when he came inside. Two lovely flick offloads in the box, one for Stevie who shot over, and one for Sterling's goal. He's definately a player who could get a hat-full of MOTM awards at a lower level, he's all about attacking and trying to make something happen. Not unlike Sterling and Ibe, but at their age, they can be moulded to our style better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement