Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Liverpool Football Club have confirmed Jay Spearing has joined Bolton Wanderers on a permanent transfer.

The midfielder made 55 appearances for the Reds' first team after graduating from the club's Academy.

Spearing spent last term on loan at the Reebok Stadium, where he was named Player of the Season.

Everybody at Liverpool FC would like to wish Jay all the best for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Richie Sadlier's take on the Suarez affair
    RTÉ PUNDIT RICHIE Sadlier believes Luis Suarez is right to seek a move away from Liverpool, but questioned the wisdom of the Uruguayan international speaking so publicly about his unhappiness.
    Speaking to TheScore.ie, he said that neutral fans recognise why Suarez wants to leave.

“I can’t take anyone seriously who thinks that Suarez should remain at Liverpool,” he said “If you’re worth 40 or 50 million and clubs in the Champions League want you, why would you stay in that Liverpool squad now.
    “[That argument] would only come from Liverpool fans who are not objective.”
    Nevertheless, Sadlier believes Suarez may end up regretting expressing his desire to leave in an interview with The Guardian.

“I don’t know what material difference it would make to the situation, because the Liverpool directors and the manager have a stance.
    “I don’t think it changes because the fact that Suarez does an interview. Whether he’s trying to get the public behind him or get people to understand… but it doesn’t at all.

“That’s why you remain silent – because when the transfer deadline passes, you say ‘there was a lot of soul searching, I sat down with my family and advisors, and it’s in the past now. That’s easier to say when you’ve been quiet during the transfer period.”

He added: “I think he’ll leave – there’s absolutely no way he can stay after what he said.”

Full article :
    http://www.thescore.ie/richie-sadlier-liverpool-fans-luis-suarez-1028381-Aug2013/

Basically saying that Suarez is too good for the squad of players Liverpool have at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Pep? as in Guardiola? You do realise hes only joined Bayern and the chances of him moving after 1 season is very unlikely.

:confused:

i dont know if its very unlikely. if a club came in that interested him that is. it depends how he sees the bayern job. if he is looking at building a long term dynasty then he will be there for the next 10 years but if its just a country he wants to experience then i dont see why he wont do a "jose" and move when he gets a better offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Kess73 wrote: »
    Nope will not happen. Has already been stated that if Fener get thrown out of the competition then another Turkish team will be taking their place.

Should really not make much difference either way to Arsenal though as they are more than good enough to put Fener or a lesser Turkish team to the sword.

are you sure on that?

i know it was stated that their place in the europe would be taken but they've appealed to the CAS, which has given them a stay and it'll be heard before the end of august

Bursaspor were supposed to be going in, they finished 4th, as 3rd place Besiktas got banned as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Paulegend wrote: »
    no the feeling is bliss

liverpool are in a great position. they have made some signings they are playing some of the best football in the country. they have a striker that ye want but cant have and things are looking bright.

arsenal have champions league that is the only thing that attracts players to the club and they cant even guarantee that after todays draw. but at least ye have a "huge transfer budget" :rolleyes: was it 70 million??? pfft

Yes we have champions league, something Liverpool don't at the present, so really not much more to say no that topic.

Well if its competition it would be better for arsenal to beat them and Stay in the champions
    League which would be a distraction from the league which will benefit Liverpool seems yous see us as top 4 rivals.

So go on tell me how arsenal going out of the champions league is great for Liverpool in terms of competition?

it would be better for liverpool if arsenal didnt go to the champions league surely??? ye lose ye go to the europa yea??? unless that was changed

surely we'd prefer ye to play on thursday nights in the far east of europe

Yes we have champions league, something Liverpool don't at the present, so really not much more to say no that topic.

well ye have 2 games anyway;)

it would be better for liverpool if arsenal didnt go to the champions league surely??? ye lose ye go to the europa yea??? unless that was changed

Are you sure? Is that not the loosers of the group stages?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I feel like a Pokémon who is slowly evolving from El Spearo to El Inho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

After all my bitching a moaning, I feel a slight sense of guilt now that Jay Spearing is leaving.

Ah, those were a dark 4 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And so passes the second age of little Davey Thompson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

El Spearo wrote: »

Go for it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All changed since last season.

Losers in 3rd round of the Champions League qualification go to the play off round of the Europa League

Losers in the play off round of the Champions League go to the Group stage of the Europa League

3rd place in the Group stage of the Champions League go to the last 32 of the Europa League

And Arsenal may not face Fenerbahçe they are in the draw but could still be kicked out by UEFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well if its competition it would be better for arsenal to beat them and Stay in the champions
    League which would be a distraction from the league which will benefit Liverpool seems yous see us as top 4 rivals.

So go on tell me how arsenal going out of the champions league is great for Liverpool in terms of competition?

I want Arsenal to succeed. I want all English clubs to succeed as it makes our league more attractive.

But it's still healthy rivalry.

• Advertisement

Losers in 3rd round of the Champions League qualification go to the play off round of the Europa League

Losers in the play off round of the Champions League go to the Group stage of the Europa League

3rd place in the Group stage of the Champions League go to the last 32 of the Europa League

And Arsenal may not face Fenerbahçe they are in the draw but could still be kicked out by UEFA

Ahh right I see.

God I really don't fancy Thursday football, plus it means most matches on a Sunday, ughh.

yea its the losers of this qualifiers and the 3rd placed team in the group stage. happened to everton back in 2005

but if it did happen ye would be top seeds so ye would get easy teams and play your youths against them

ye should beat Fenerbahce at the emirates anyway as lo0ng as ye dont get a horrible result away ye should do it

Go for it. :)

It'll be tomorrow morning before it's complete. Just missed the daily deadline for changing.

For now we just have my pretty face over left.

yea i guess your right. i would just like to wipe that smug grin off wengers face

in relation to your question the clause if there is one could be anything. id say its a wording thing. if the clause can be read differently it would mean its written in a way that it doesnt mean anything

for example: if a bid of more than 40 million pounds is made to liverpool fc. then liverpool fc must inform mr suarez to make him aware of negotiations for his services.

in a way something like that could be read as a bid of over 40 million triggers negotiations for suarez but also it could be easily read that it just lets suarez know that a bid was made. it depends on what side you want the outcome to be. im not saying this was the clause or that there even is one but if there is id imagine its something along those lines.

id say myself though that it wasnt a clause but the "understanding" that he could go for more than 40 million if we didnt get champioins league. id say that his agent approached arsenal after the first bid and told them that, and told them liverpool would likely sell for that price as they would be happy with the profit

that's what i think now too, a wording issue but i wanted to see if any l'pool fans knew more about it

It was a sly/good move getting it in there - ambiguously - but having it in there like that has caused a lot of bother.

a straight out release clause, with a buy before deadline would've been better - hindsight, i know

and what kind of team would be put out in that? better for l'pool if they're in the CL

i forgot about that happening actually

the appeal isnt until after the round meaning that in Fenerbahce win they will be replaced are kicked out and replaced by a different turkish side. surely it would make more sense to have the appeal before the game and give arsenal a bye though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

8 days until the new season.

signings please.

Cissokho only half counts, if it happens.

i have the distinct fear that Agger/Toure is our new first choice CB partnership. Skrtel will then be forced to stay as cover, with an outside chance of forcing himself ahead of Kolo. Wisdom will act as CB cover this season too.

these attacking players that Brendan keeps talking about, they need to come in soon too.

lots to do, and it's getting late. the new players, if they come, won't be integrated in time for Stoke anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

i dont know if its very unlikely. if a club came in that interested him that is. it depends how he sees the bayern job. if he is looking at building a long term dynasty then he will be there for the next 10 years but if its just a country he wants to experience then i dont see why he wont do a "jose" and move when he gets a better offer

Pep wont end up at Arsenal in the next couple of years, Bayern right now are easily in the top 3 of European clubs.

There revenue and squad is nearly unmatched anywhere across the globe so I cant see Arsenal offering him more money or a better squad to work with.

If he manages to get it so wrong some how then there is a slight chance but I'd take a punt and say they'll be alright under Pep, given that Wengers contract has a year to run they may want a top class replacement but they may have to settle for a guy on the up more so then a ready made replacement in someone like Pep.

1 day until I evolve fully
    8 days until the new season
    11 days until my dissertation is due
    12 days until I move to Dublin
    15 days until I start work in Dublin
    22 days until the transfer window closes

August will be a month I will either never forget or one I never want to remember.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    that's what i think now too, a wording issue but i wanted to see if any l'pool fans knew more about it

It was a sly/good move getting it in there - ambiguously - but having it in there like that has caused a lot of bother.

a straight out release clause, with a buy before deadline would've been better - hindsight, i know

and what kind of team would be put out in that? better for l'pool if they're in the CL

i forgot about that happening actually

yea i know what you mean. arsenal could just play a weak side in the euopa. arsenal should beat Fenerbahce anyway though over two legs

noone seems to know much over on the liverpool home forum either. usual rumours but nothing concrete. id say it will probably come out if there is one anyway as there will be a lot of people nosing about trying to find out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Do the winners of next years Europa get a CL spot?

Would hate to finish 4th and miss out because Arsenal/Spurs win the Europa, or would 5 teams be permitted from England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Wow. Looks like Arsenal fans are pretty upset with Liverpool today.

I admit Henry did say one or 2 provocative things, but not sure why anybody would take them so personally.

The real upset is that Liverpool refused to sell them Suarez. Dissapointment I can understand, but not sure why they should be angry with us for not wanting to sell our best player to a rival.

Fwiw I will still be surprised if Suarez is here in September, but we cant sell to Arsenal, and thats nothing personal!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Bayern right now are easily in the top 3 of European clubs.

Trying not to sound like a d*ck here, but they are #1 in Europe and have the trophy to prove that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

No, just NO! Have we learnt nothing here.

Torresistheman... Torres gone!
    Suarezistheman... Suarez probably gone!
    Nuri Sahin... gone!
    Andy Carroll... gone (although he took some shifting)
    El Spearo... gone!

Please say by Inho you meant Downing????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Wow. Looks like Arsenal fans are pretty upset with Liverpool today.

I admit Henry did say one or 2 provocative things, but not sure why anybody would take them so personally.

The real upset is that Liverpool refused to sell them Suarez. Dissapointment I can understand, but not sure why they should be angry with us for not wanting to sell our best player to a rival.

Fwiw I will still be surprised if Suarez is here in September, but we cant sell to Arsenal, and thats nothing personal!

99% of Arsenal fans don't give a **** about this Suarez saga. It's you lot having the melt down. Arsenal fans are more annoyed with our own club due to the complete lack of signings, the Suarez thing is a side show.

Looking at how Suarez has treated Liverpool I'm in no hurry to see Arsenal sign him only to go through it all again in two years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I'd say Boards love this time of the year, loads of people paying subs so they can change their name. Loads of extra €€€€!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The Mulk wrote: »

Would hate to finish 4th and miss out because Arsenal/Spurs win the Europa, or would 5 teams be permitted from England.
    For some reason its in my head its not till the 2014/2015 season this kicks in

they changed the rules also to allow more than 4 teams from any country into the champions league

means that if arsenal or spurs won the europa there would be 5 english teams in the champions league

yea it is 2014/15 that the europa league winners get to play in the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

You have to pay to change your name? I think I'll stick with my boring out dated Fallout 3 related moniker.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think the winners of this years EL will be in the CL in 14/15, so that's why that season is in your head.

I stand open to correction though of course!

yea i know what you mean. arsenal could just play a weak side in the euopa. arsenal should beat Fenerbahce anyway though over two legs

noone seems to know much over on the liverpool home forum either. usual rumours but nothing concrete. id say it will probably come out if there is one anyway as there will be a lot of people nosing about trying to find out

it seems to definitely be there

i'm still hoping it's about technically being a CL club myself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

1 day until I evolve fully
    8 days until the new season
    11 days until my dissertation is due
    12 days until I move to Dublin
    15 days until I start work in Dublin
    22 days until the transfer window closes

August will be a month I will either never forget or one I never want to remember.

Best of luck with it all man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Soups123 wrote: »
    99% of Arsenal fans don't give a **** about this Suarez saga. It's you lot having the melt down. Arsenal fans are more annoyed with our own club due to the complete lack of signings, the Suarez thing is a side show.

Looking at how Suarez has treated Liverpool I'm in no hurry to see Arsenal sign him only to go through it all again in two years

I dunno man, there seems to be as many upset Arsenal posters as Liverpool fans in this thread today. If they were simply annoyed with their own club they 'd be posting in their own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Trying not to sound like a d*ck here, but they are #1 in Europe and have the trophy to prove that.

You should try harder!

• Advertisement

I dunno man, there seems to be as many upset Arsenal posters as Liverpool fans in this thread today. If they were simply annoyed with their own club they 'd be posting in their own thread.

Only because there has been so much bitter posts towards arsenal, why would we care about Liverpool fans, it all started a week ago with Liverpool fans in the arsenal thread calling our club classless etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Echo reporting that Sterling was arrested last night for assaulting his girlfriend and spent the night in a cell. He must of said steady to her, people don't like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Echo reporting that Sterling was arrested last night for assaulting his girlfriend and spent the night in a cell. He must of said steady to her, people don't like that!

oh for f&cks sake. Hopefully this is another case of BS.

You should try harder!

thats what she said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Christ. Footballers really are a shower of absolute fcuking idiots.

Only because there has been so much bitter posts towards arsenal, why would we care about Liverpool fans, it all started a week ago with Liverpool fans in the arsenal thread calling our club classless etc.

yea you dont come accross bitter in any way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

they changed the rules also to allow more than 4 teams from any country into the champions league

means that if arsenal or spurs won the europa there would be 5 english teams in the champions league

Grand, so a potential 'egg on our face' scenario will be avoided if we finish fourth.
    (Disclaimer: I expect us to win the league, coming fourth will be deemed an acceptable season;))

Roll on the new season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.
    Its El Spearo to El Fearo.
    Have you even evolved to level 20 yet?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just saw that on twitter alright. If true he is an idiot who needs to grow up quickly. Even the brightest talents can mess things up with off field antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

5starpool wrote: »
    I think the winners of this years EL will be in the CL in 14/15, so that's why that season is in your head.

I stand open to correction though of course!

If that is the case, it makes it even more frustrating that we're not in Europe this year-something people were seemingly happy about at the time-as in addition to helping us attract players, that'd likely be our best bet at getting back to the CL :(

Grand, so a potential 'egg on our face' scenario will be avoided if we finish fourth.
    (Disclaimer: I expect us to win the league, coming fourth will be deemed an acceptable season;))

Roll on the new season

ive been expecting a title win for 23 years now. we are a very resiliant and loyal bunch lol:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement