Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Would rather play Johnson left back and give Kelly game time. We could survive with:

Johnson
    Enrique
    Kelly
    Wisdom

with the option of recalling Robinson on loan.

It's uninspiring because it's more squad filler. I don't think he'll improve the starting XI

If he can regain his best Lyon form then he would easily improve the starting XI LB slot. If he turns up with his Valencia form then he would be squad filler. His Porto form I would not bother to include as whilst he was very good there, he was only a Porto player for less than half a season.

Given Kelly's injury form it would be a massive gamble to go into the new season with only the options you named.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Would rather play Johnson left back and give Kelly game time. We could survive with:

Johnson
    Enrique
    Kelly
    Wisdom

with the option of recalling Robinson on loan.

It's uninspiring because it's more squad filler. I don't think he'll improve the starting XI

Fair enough.

I've said it myself multiple times how I much prefer Johnson at LB. I think his attacking prowess outweighing his quite average defensive skills on the right is very much overrated for a player of his ability, he should be chipping in with around handful of assists and goals a season. Last season he scored twice, in a Europa League game, the one Borini scored his first goal and vs West Ham away if I recall correctly. Assists, I don't think he had many or I'm just struggling to remember any.

Cissokho will contrast Enrique very well, one is much better defending and the other attacking. If Cissokho can find his Porto and early Lyon (the one regarded as the best LB's in football at the time after Cole anyway) form however, he'll dislodge Enrique. Simple as that IMO. A loan deal certainly suits is in the case.

edit - shut up Kess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Kess73 wrote: »
    Last time he had a "girlfriend" try to run to the papers and authorities with claims about him it got thrown out as a fake accusation. The lovely female at that time then went to try and sell her story to a tabloid.

Right now anything about him is alleged, and I would be very surprised if I don't see familiar names again either in the Echo or in a tabloid along with an offer being made to Sterling for the charges to be dropped if a cash settlement gets offered.

As suggested earlier the lad seems to attract a high level of parasites/hangers on (male and female), and may not have the cop on to realise when he is being used because of his status/wallet.

Short memories on here though. Was not too long ago that Downing was being called a scumbag and worse on here because a girlfriend/partner/ex claimed he physically assaulted her in Middlesbrough. She went as far as to get the police involved and pressed charges for it to go to trial. Then CCTV and witnesses came into play and the accuser was found to have made it up to damage the player's name after he had had a verbal row with her earlier in the night.

Not the first time that there's been no one on the receiving end of his left cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Last time he had a "girlfriend" try to run to the papers and authorities with claims about him it got thrown out as a fake accusation. The lovely female at that time then went to try and sell her story to a tabloid.

Right now anything about him is alleged, and I would be very surprised if I don't see familiar names again either in the Echo or in a tabloid along with an offer being made to Sterling for the charges to be dropped if a cash settlement gets offered.

As suggested earlier the lad seems to attract a high level of parasites/hangers on (male and female), and may not have the cop on to realise when he is being used because of his status/wallet.

Short memories on here though. Was not too long ago that Downing was being called a scumbag and worse on here because a girlfriend/partner/ex claimed he physically assaulted her in Middlesbrough. She went as far as to get the police involved and pressed charges for it to go to trial. Then CCTV and witnesses came into play and the accuser was found to have made it up to damage the player's name after he had had a verbal row with her earlier in the night.

If he gets done in court for any of this stuff then at that point (and only at that point) can he considered a certain type of character. All I'm noting is that:

A) if he did get done for such it can't be talked away as mere youthful exuberance
    B) I don't really care all that much either way so long as he does his job well and professionally

I think it is fair to say at this point however that he isn't surrounding himself with the most reputable case of young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Sterling has not been proven to have beaten any woman.

As for the rest of the Ibe vs Sterling comparison, hard to see how you are making it given Ibe has so little game time at the same level that Sterling has had.

But just using the pre season games as an indicator, I would say that Sterling looks a much better passer of the ball at present (and more so due to him coming inside a lot more than Ibe attempts to), and that Sterling showed a lot more positional awareness during pre season.

Maybe Ibe will be the better player, but given his entire competitive senior game time consists only of minutes in a single game rather than games, it is way too soon to make comparisons with Sterling let alone start thinking he will be world class in the future.

Firstly I'm not just using Pre - season as an indicator.

I have followed Ibe closely since his move to Liverpool, whether he was playing for the u18, u21, in the next gen, senior team etc. etc.. (same with Sterling)

You are right, Sterling has had alot more experience at Senior level.

Ibe has only played a very small part of pre - season last year, made his senior debut at the at the very end of last season (he looked comfortable and got an assist) and has featured a fair bit in this pre - season, really impressing alot IMO for someone as you pointed out that has so little senior experience.

Once Ibe starts banging the goals in there will be no stopping him!!

In regards to the beating of women, I hope you are right.

The thought of it sickens me. The fact that Sterling is very close to his Mother would lead me to believe he has some kind of respect for women and know it's never right to hit a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't remember it being a girlfriend the first time. Also Downing was arrested for punching an ex, bit of a difference there.

Women can really be dangerous / evil bitches at times!!

1002904_211509212306170_1555064709_n.jpg

billy2012 wrote: »
    Firstly I'm not just using Pre - season as an indicator.

I have followed Ibe closely since his move to Liverpool, whether he was playing for the u18, u21, in the next gen, senior team etc. etc.. (same with Sterling)

You are right, Sterling has had alot more experience at Senior level.

Ibe has only played a very small part of pre - season last year, made his senior debut at the at the very end of last season (he looked comfortable and got an assist) and has featured a fair bit in this pre - season, really impressing alot IMO for someone as you pointed out that has so little senior experience.

Once Ibe starts banging the goals in there will be no stopping him!!

In regards to the beating of women, I hope you are right.

The thought of it sickens me. The fact that Sterling is very close to his Mother would lead me to believe he has some kind of respect for women and know it's never right to hit a woman.

To be brutally frank youth level performances are pretty worthless when compared to first team performances.

Sterling has shown that he can play on a somewhat regular basis at senior level and has shown that he looks to have the potential to improve further at that level.

Ibe has not yet shown he can do that, and until he shows that he can cope with that level like Sterling did last season (or better it) then it is really difficult to compare them.

I do think Ibe has lots of potential, and he has impressed me anytime I have gone to youth or ressie games when home, but I am always conscious of the massive difference between looking great at an underage level and looking decent at senior level.

I would not like to count the number of players we have had over the years that looked outstanding at youth/ressie level but who never went on to match that at senior level for Liverpoolor any other top level club.

Funnily enough some of our best first team performers over the years have often looked only decent to good at ressie level.

Women can really be dangerous / evil bitches at times!!

Any person, regardless of sex, who is ready to make false allegations to the authorities falls under than banner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sterling has gone from being involved in an incident to a set trail date in 15 hours. That should be enough to suggest this is not a frippery that can/will be shrugged off even if "common assault" is the bottom grade of physical "violence" charges.

Six months is the maximum but its highly unlikely to reach jail time given its his first arrest (I think!).

I don't remember it being a girlfriend the first time. Also Downing was arrested for punching an ex, bit of a difference there.

What is the difference? A false claim is just that regardless of whether it is from a girlfriend, an ex, the mother of your child or any other individual.

Downing was arrested after an allegation was made that he punched the woman, he was not arrested for actually punching a woman, now there is a bit of a difference alright.

Any person, regardless of sex, who is ready to make false allegations to the authorities falls under than banner.

If I went to the garda station and told them I was raped by a girl what would happen? Prob nothing.
    If it was the other way around and a chick claimed I raped her I would be in the police station and arrested (regardless of proof) within minutes. ALso, I would always be known as a rapist even if proven innocent.

If I went to the garda station and claimed by GF boxed me in the face, what would happen??
    If she went and claimed I boxed her in the face, again, I would be arrested straight away.

Sex does come into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

If I went to the garda station and told them I was raped by a girl what would happen? Prob nothing.

550x336px-LL-93d4d87c_South-Park-nice.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

1002904_211509212306170_1555064709_n.jpg
    must have been before Suarez was crying a few days ago
    BRF9GYhCcAAgraW.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

What is the difference? A false claim is just that regardless of whether it is from a girlfriend, an ex, the mother of your child or any other individual.

Downing was arrested after an allegation was made that he punched the woman, he was not arrested for actually punching a woman, now there is a bit of a difference alright.

I think he's saying that an ex might have a bit more motivation than a current girlfriend to make a false accusation. Or am I completely wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

If it was the other way around and a chick claimed I raped her I would be in the police station and arrested (regardless of proof) within minutes. ALso, I would always be known as a rapist even if proven innocent.

If I went to the garda station and claimed by GF boxed me in the face, what would happen??
    If she went and claimed I boxed her in the face, again, I would be arrested straight away.

Sex does come into it.

Is this the worst post on the Liverpool thread this year? Some achievement. Well done.

mike65 wrote: »
    Sterling has gone from being involved in an incident to a set trail date in 15 hours. That should be enough to suggest this is not a frippery that can/will be shrugged off even if "common assault" is the bottom grade of physical "violence" charges.

Six months is the maximum but its highly unlikely to reach jail time given its his first arrest (I think!).

Ahh guilty until proven innocent then?

Last I checked it has to go to trial when one party pleads not guilty to charges made against them. And where are you getting this 15 hour time frame from? The allegations against him were made on Thursday of last week. So it has taken a week for it to get to a trial date being set, so pretty standard fare.

The Downing incident also went to the stage of getting a trial date set. Should that have meant it could not have been "frippery that can/will be shrugged off "?

All it means is that right now Sterling intends to contest the charges that have been brought against him. All it means is that right now he appears to be confident enough to say he did not do what he is alleged to have done and is prepared to go to court to prove that.

Maybe he will be found guilty if it goes to court, but right now it is just as likely that he will be found not guilty, and the setting of trial dates means nothing at all in relation to how likely a person is to be guilty or not guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

5starpool wrote: »
    I think the winners of this years EL will be in the CL in 14/15, so that's why that season is in your head.

I stand open to correction though of course!
    Its the winners of it in 2015
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22640095

so basically this year is same old story, next year there is an added incentive.

I think they didn't want this years one to count because it was only revealed at the end of may meaning that teams were already qualified etc so it wouldn't be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

A relationship a person has between an ex-girlfriend and a current one is very different so that would be a huge difference. The possibility of an ex feeling jeaslous/angry/bitter and willing to make up a story is far more likely than a current girlfriend doing it.

• Advertisement

Last I checked it has to go to trial when one party pleads not guilty to charges made against them. And where are you getting this 15 hour time frame from? The allegations against him were made on Thursday of last week. So it has taken a week for it to get to a trial date being set, so pretty standard fare.

"I misread the charge sheet your honour"

"Case dismissed!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I dunno if I can handle this Sterling stuff on this thread as well as everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

If he gets done in court for any of this stuff then at that point (and only at that point) can he considered a certain type of character. All I'm noting is that:

A) if he did get done for such it can't be talked away as mere youthful exuberance
    B) I don't really care all that much either way so long as he does his job well and professionally

I think it is fair to say at this point however that he isn't surrounding himself with the most reputable case of young people.

You wouldnt care if it turned out he had physically abused his girlfriend/woman but was a good footballer?

mike65 wrote: »
    "I misread the charge sheet your honour"

"Case dismissed!"

From what I gather he was arrested last night after a row in a restaurant with her, but the allegations go back to last week.

But if the allegations turn out to be totally from last night, then the window for the actual assault is a very small one as the time from when they were tweeting pics from their table in the restaurant to the time of the actual arrest is a very short one.

Plus given how public a place the inside of that restuarant is (not to mention the fact they have a decent cctv system afaik), I am sure that still will find their way to the papers in a manner similar to what happened with the Nigella Lawson incident.

Personally if he is found guilty of assaulting a woman, I would not want him at the club, but I really do think that it will not turn outto be what it is being reported as, and that either charges will be dropped before September 20th or cctv footage will back his story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Grayditch wrote: »
    I dunno if I can handle this Sterling stuff on this thread as well as everything else.

Thats why this is such a great thread we have lots to talk about :pac: You would hardly think we are playing tomorrow .

gafferino wrote: »
    You wouldnt care if it turned out he had physically abused his wife but was a good footballer?

We've likely had numerous footballers over the past 20 years who beat the **** out of their partners (just like Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Barcelona, etc). Sounds awful, but that's the reality of it. Probably far more during decades past. Few partners will run to the press to tell their story, even less so if it's a wife with kids, etc. And domestic violence going unreported to police is an unfortunate aspect of life.

The point is not that I wouldn't care in terms of me not thinking it's unacceptable unmanly behaviour and he's scum for doing it. Rather, I accept that we have players and have had players and will have players at the club who do the business on the pitch for us while being nasty men of poor character.

It doesn't seem like Sterling is going to turn out to be a nice loveable character, but so what if he keeps his nose clean legally and does the business? Gerrard has grown into the role of Club Captain but the nightclub incident happened and we can't pretend it didn't. I wish all our players were Sammi Hyppia types who surrounded themselves with decent people but they aren't.

Sterling was never going to be my hero anyway.

What is he 15? I'm not having a 15 year old as my hero, that's just weird.

Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

http://content.paddypower.com/ppc-pages/sportsbook/affiliates/lfc-shirt-promo-facebook.html

Just a heads up for all you lads , Paddy Power are doing a special on us at the moment 5/1 to win any domestic trophy and a free Jersey aswell if they win a trophy :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Yeah.

Damn right !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

We've likely had numerous footballers over the past 20 years who beat the **** out of their partners (just like Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Barcelona, etc). Sounds awful, but that's the reality of it. Probably far more during decades past. Few partners will run to the press to tell their story, even less so if it's a wife with kids, etc. And domestic violence going unreported to police is an unfortunate aspect of life.

The point is not that I wouldn't care in terms of me not thinking it's unacceptable unmanly behaviour and he's scum for doing it. Rather, I accept that we have players and have had players and will have players at the club who do the business on the pitch for us while being nasty men of poor character.

It doesn't seem like Sterling is going to turn out to be a nice loveable character, but so what if he keeps his nose clean legally and does the business? Gerrard has grown into the role of Club Captain but the nightclub incident happened and we can't pretend it didn't. I wish all our players were Sammi Hyppia types who surrounded themselves with decent people but they aren't.

Yeah look i know what your saying and I do agree in principle and I am well aware that footballers/men/people have shady private lives. But I have to say I would find it very difficult to support or want associated with our club someone found guilty of assault particularly on a woman (not that its ok to assault a man but it is a fairer fight in most cases).

I hope that this is just another goose chase re Sterling but he needs to steer clear of these incidents before they have a chance to arrise.

Yeah.

It's true, never going to have anymore heroes in football. I am very indifferent to young kids, great if they do well for us but the likes of Carra were players I grew up with and admired. I'll never have a proper connection with a footballer again. Getting old, sad. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

http://content.paddypower.com/ppc-pages/sportsbook/affiliates/lfc-shirt-promo-facebook.html

Just a heads up for all you lads , Paddy Power are doing a special on us at the moment 5/1 to win any domestic trophy and a free Jersey aswell if they win a trophy :D

Once bookies start doing 'specials' you know its a bad bet. They are not known for their generosity

gafferino wrote: »
    Yeah look i know what your saying and I do agree in principle and I am well aware that footballers/men/people have shady private lives. But I have to say I would find it very difficult to support or want associated with our club someone found guilty of assault particularly on a woman (not that its ok to assault a man but it is a fairer fight in most cases).

I hope that this is just another goose chase re Sterling but he needs to steer clear of these incidents before they have a chance to arrise.

These accusations / incidents beget more of the same. Maybe they all are rubbish, but if he was a nice kid who hung around with nice kids we wouldn't be having this conversation.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's true, never going to have anymore heroes in football. I am very indifferent to young kids, great if they do well for us but the likes of Carra were players I grew up with and admired. I'll never have a proper connection with a footballer again. Getting old, sad. :(

Piss off! A high % of premier league players are still older than you, ya young fecker ya. Wait until you can count them all on your fingers and then you can say you are getting old, or worse again, you're as old as Mike is now.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Use a Thunderstone you noob!

I was actually going to make that joke and see if anyone would get it :D

• Advertisement

Piss off! A high % of premier league players are still older than you, ya young fecker ya. Wait until you can count them all on your fingers and then you can say you are getting old, or worse again, you're as old as Mike is now.

/rant

At least he can boast that he was around to see the football league begin. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Is there a minimum bet? Could put 10c on it, you'd be getting great odds then cosidering how much a jersey costs!

Edit. Just saw min bet is 45 quid. Feck that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah.

I know your comment is tongue in cheek, but it would take a lot more than a footballer for me to see someone as a hero.

Edit: Reading Lloyds views, that probably has a lot to with it too.

/rant

Keane, McBride, Carra, Hamman, Hyppia, Shearer, Zidane all retired Dom.

Lucio, Keane, Given, Dunne, Kuyt, Alonso, Pirlo in the closing straights to varying degrees.

Maybe I'll admire someone like Lucas or Long in five year's time? Doubt it though. I remember kicking every ball while Keane was playing Portugal on his own in 2001 or a bandaged McBride was chasing everything down against Italy at the battle of Kaiserslauten, but that type of hero worship fades as you age I think.

At least he can boast that he was around to see the football league begin. :pac:

He was at the 1892 meeting in the back room at the Sandon I believe, or so legend has it.

• Advertisement

Lucio, Keane, Given, Dunne, Kuyt, Alonso, Pirlo in the closing straights to varying degrees.

Maybe I'll admire someone like Lucas or Long in five year's time? Doubt it though. I remember kicking every ball while Keane was playing Portugal on his own in 2001 or a bandaged McBride was chasing everything down against Italy at the battle of Kaiserslauten, but that type of hero worship fades as you age I think.

Romantic Ireland's dead and gone, it's with O'Leary in the grave.

These accusations / incidents beget more of the same. Maybe they all are rubbish, but if he was a nice kid who hung around with nice kids we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Which is exactly why I made the comment about him needing a savvy head or two around him at this early stage of his life.

He is a young lad of 18 who already is earning more money per month than most adults. Most of us here were most likely know it alls who really knew very little when we were 18. Just imagine what we would have been like with that sort of money coming in, and the no doubt long line of hangers on telling us how great we are.

Funny thing is that the lad has a lovely reputation around Woolton where he lives. My brother lives there (one of his nearby neigbours is Skrtel) and he loves how polite Sterling is around the area. But Huyton and Sterling seems to be a bad fit and Page Moss in particular is defo not a great spot for a lad with lots of money who may be easily led/duped by others or through peer pressure.

But would tend to agree with the gist of what you are saying. If enough mud is flung, it tends to become how the person is seen, rightly or wrongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

..Or wallowing with Lloyd on boards..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

You mean the Premiership, when football REALLY began?

:D

You will always have me for your hero worship, Lloyd.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

thoght he went to Oz a few years back?

slingerz wrote: »
    thoght he went to Oz a few years back?

That's the brother. You know the lad, the one with the gammy leg and lazy eye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We need a signing, god damn we need a signing.

Just call me Slartibartfast.

In a portent for the first game of the season Liverpool beat Stoke 9-2 yesterday
    in the U9 age group

When I was young me and my mates used to watch people like Fowler, McManaman, Owen coming through, it was great. I told my mates to keep an eye on Lee Jones.

lee_jones.jpg

You let me down Lee. You made me look like a fool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement