Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Slimity wrote: »
    ... so we'll now be moving on to no.4/5 on the attacker list when the committee reassess with Rodgers.

Carlton Cole to the rescue...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

pm1977x wrote: »
    Carlton Cole to the rescue...

Nah let's get Heskey in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Rodgers saying on official website that no new signings imminent.

Looks like we'll be heading into Stoke game with current squad.

Could be a busy end to the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8862338/Arrested-Charged...

No mention of this? Bad form hitting a woman.

djPSB wrote: »
    Rodgers saying on official website that no new signings imminent.

Looks like we'll be heading into Stoke game with current squad.

Hope he's taking the píss

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

yeah but the crowd was sh1te and Seville beat them 3 1 :P

Moyes 1st game at home

F&^* 4th, we are going for 3rd :D

That third game at home to them is looking all the more gorgeous as pre season goes by :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Slimity wrote: »
    http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2013/08/liverpool-transfers-brendan-rodgers-aly-cissokho-diego-costa/

So nobody lined up on the transfer front - not encouraging.

Unless B-Rod is being economical with the truth.

*clutches straws*

Jesus. Rodgers looks scary in that pic.

rodgersnew.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

djPSB wrote: »

Assuming blind optimism..

bad2dabone wrote: »

Guilty until proven innocent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

It was mentioned earlier :confused:

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Still sore about losing out on Suarez ;)

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Apologies if I missed it.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Still sore about losing out on Suarez ;)

Nope, never really saw him joining us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I'll have some of that. Make it 25 maybe.

25!!!...double it and you're talking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/09/luis-suarez-liverpool
    Luis Suárez will not hand in a transfer request yet in the wake of Liverpool's hard-line stance over his future. The Uruguayan striker had originally planned to do so before the end of this week if the Anfield club did not allow him to move to Arsenal. But Suárez's camp believe his position was made sufficiently clear in an interview with the Guardian and that there is no need to make a formal transfer request at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Apologies if I missed it.

Ah sure you're only 12 hours late.;-)

mike65 wrote: »
    Sterling has gone from being involved in an incident to a set trail date in 15 hours. That should be enough to suggest this is not a frippery that can/will be shrugged off even if "common assault" is the bottom grade of physical "violence" charges.

Six months is the maximum but its highly unlikely to reach jail time given its his first arrest (I think!).
    Kess73 wrote: »
    And where are you getting this 15 hour time frame from? The allegations against him were made on Thursday of last week. So it has taken a week for it to get to a trial date being set, so pretty standard fare.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/09/luis-suarez-liverpool
    Raheem Sterling will be involved against Celtic, despite appearing at Liverpool magistrates' court on Friday charged with assaulting his girlfriend. The 18-year-old winger was arrested on Thursday and held in custody overnight before being charged with common assault on his 20-year-old partner, Shana Halliday. The England international entered a not guilty plea when the charges were put to him. He now faces a trial in September.A spokesman for Merseyside police said: "Merseyside police can confirm an 18-year-old man was arrested and subsequently charged with assault following an incident last night in Page Moss. Raheem Sterling, 18, of Woolton, was charged with Section 39 Common Assault."

Ahem. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just heard Barnes on news talk there earlier, now that man can talk fast. He must be one of the most articulate, sensible and intelligent ex-footballers going.
    Really can talk sense, it's a pity more of his fellow ex-pros can't be held in such high regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's not looking good on the transfer front at all after those words from Rodgers.

my patience is going...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Well you did somehow forget that I already replied to you with the below hours ago during our original discussion on this topic earlier today.

So...... ahem :pac:
    From what I gather he was arrested last night after a row in a restaurant with her, but the allegations go back to last week.

But if the allegations turn out to be totally from last night, then the window for the actual assault is a very small one as the time from when they were tweeting pics from their table in the restaurant to the time of the actual arrest is a very short one.

Plus given how public a place the inside of that restuarant is (not to mention the fact they have a decent cctv system afaik), I am sure that still will find their way to the papers in a manner similar to what happened with the Nigella Lawson incident.

Personally if he is found guilty of assaulting a woman, I would not want him at the club, but I really do think that it will not turn outto be what it is being reported as, and that either charges will be dropped before September 20th or cctv footage will back his story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's not looking good on the transfer front at all after those words from Rodgers.

my patience is going...

Tons of time yet...........................:pac:

Ducks and runs from thread whilst cackling with laughter.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Brendan Rodgers has given an insight into the latest on Luis Suarez and the decision to have the Uruguayan train alone.

Most of the questions directed at Rodgers were once again about Suarez.

Asked for an update on the mindset of the 26-year-old and how long he could train alone, the Northern Irishman said: "Obviously Luis is training on his own at the moment and he understands totally where we're coming from.

"We're in no great rush, to be honest. I needed to make a decision in terms of the wellbeing of the group. The training through pre-season has been absolutely magnificent. The mentality of the players. I just couldn't afford to break that.

"But when the time comes, we'll come in and speak and once he's ready to train how he's always done we'll put him back in the group.

"It's been a difficult period for him but it's my job to protect the group and the football club. Once he's back in line with the spirit that everyone knows of him, and the commitment, then he'll rejoin the group.

"It's obviously been a difficult few days for him but he knows where we stand as a football club."

Liverpool's principal owner, John W Henry, insisted last night that the No.7 would not be sold to either Arsenal - who have lodged two official bids - or a team from outside England before the end of the transfer window.

Rodgers added: "We're quite calm. The club is in control of the situation.

"The ownership have been brilliant. They've been quite adamant and clear and have supported our intention of wanting to keep him.

"Luis has got three years left of his contract and he's a player we don't want to sell. He's a player who's valued very highly around the world and someone who we made a conscious effort last season to build the team around - and he had a fantastic season.

"We've got no inclination to sell and we've been strong on that point, and we'll continue to be. And especially to a team that is a rival to us.

"We don't feel like we're fighting a losing battle. He's a contracted player for Liverpool and I'm fairly confident he'll remain that.

"Luis, since I've known him, has fought for his life for Liverpool. There will come a point where he'll recognise the club is not going to sell and, from what I know about him, once that time comes and he has his head around it, then the minute he goes onto the training field and the pitch, he gives nothing less than 100 per cent.

"That's why it's difficult in this moment, because that's not the point where he is at. That commitment that I've seen every day and the Liverpool supporters have seen is not quite there yet, but I've got every confidence that once he's fit and available then he'll be giving everything.

"This guy's a world-class striker. His passion and love for football - he's at his happiest when he's on the training field and playing games. I have absolutely no question that once he's back and available for games, you'll see a similar impact [to last season]."

Away from Suarez, Rodgers was asked if there was any truth in rumours regarding incoming players.

"There's nothing in terms of players to add," he said. "We obviously signed players early on and we hope we can do some more before the window closes but there's nothing imminent."

The story of the day from a club perspective was the decision to appoint Daniel Agger as vice-captain.

Rodgers was quizzed on this and how the Dane compared with his predecessor, Jamie Carragher.

"It was fairly easy. We've got some terrific characters in the team and in the squad, but I was particularly looking at him in the off season. He's been at the club a number of years, he's an international captain in his own right and he's very well respected among the supporters.

"Ultimately he's very well respected among his players, his peers. Losing someone like Jamie Carragher, it was important that I took my time on the decision.

"They are totally different characters but he [Agger] is very proud to be at Liverpool. I've found him, from our first conversations, true to his word. We've had a number of offers for him since I've been at the club and his commitment is unswerving towards Liverpool.

"That gave me great faith, and when I spoke to him he was honoured to be offered the vice-captain's job."

Rodgers has brought a 22-man squad to Dublin for the final friendly of the pre-season, with Daniel Sturridge included for the first time after an ankle injury.

"He's had a good few weeks with the medical and sports science teams and he's rejoined the group in the last week or so," said Rodgers. "He looks very good and very strong.

"He's not up to starting a game yet but he'll have some involvement in the game tomorrow. That's great news because I believe he'll be one of the top strikers in the Barclays Premier League this year."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/142195-rodgers-on-suarez-transfers-and-more

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Downing plays any part in the game tomorrow it should put to bed any rumours of an imminent deal with West Ham I'd say, although the opposite isn't necessarily true either of course.

On the Sterling thing, a lot of people are jumping the gun at the moment. If he is found to actually have done anything to a woman then he deserves any condemnation and punishment he gets, but I have seen a lot of people, on twitter especially, who should know better presuming his guilt already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Ah sure we managed to keep Suarez. No need to buy anyone.

Bloody yank spoofers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nope, never really saw him joining us.

A lot of Arsenal fans appear to be coming down with 'neverreallysawhimjoiningusitis' since yesterday.

Anyway a stupid startibg point to say it surprised you that the Sterling stuff hadn't been discussed when you clearly hadn't read the thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Ah sure we managed to keep Suarez. No need to buy anyone.

Bloody yank spoofers.

I hope they arent going to sell the line that keeping Suarez is like a 'new signing'
    Its like hes being held hostage right now, he doesnt want to be there
    I really dont see this as a positive at all. Unless Suarez has a major change of heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

If we sign nobody else this window, it's a fcuking disgrace!!

• Advertisement

Well turdy right from the start most gooners saw suarez as a very very long shot for obvious reasons, it would be nuts for pool to sell him to us of all clubs considering we are where your club aspires to be. Weakening yourselves and making us stronger would be foolish. It seemed there was a chance after his interview. But I'd eat my hat if henry rows back on his comments.

Anyhow re the sterling arrest, yeah I stand corrected I didn't read it today as was up the walls in work and your thread moves along at a rapid pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Alright lads, calm. No point signing players for the sake of it, if and when the right player and deal comes along I'm sure the club will get it done like earlier on this summer and last January.

your thread moves along at a rapid pace.

Very true. So much sh1t in so little time, it's like diarrhea. Sooooo much bullsh1t and repetitiveness and bullsh1t and repetitiveness and bullsh1t and repetitiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

aramush wrote: »
    Alright lads, calm. No point signing players for the sake of it, if and when the right player and deal comes along I'm sure the club will get it done like earlier on this summer and last January.

Yep the set of players which would improve the team and want to join us is fairly small so prob better to bide our time, I would be happy with a lb and cb provided Suarez stays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

flanzer wrote: »
    Stewy to West Ham? We must have signed his identical brother. Here he is on the tarmac in Dublin Airport

BRPv8CGCAAA-BpD.jpg:large[/QUOTE/]

Stewy has been playing a wee bit of cricket lately

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnkhNGgNuy8vOpGea4UAvxBYvmHBY3Zt4Ec_CHROdfRBx7Bp9limages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRFinZRuA-XsbltxBAMdpuXpZaz6_HUItdTqRdZrqyYtvqG84a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

audman wrote: »
    Very true. So much sh1t in so little time, it's like diarrhea. Sooooo much bullsh1t and repetitiveness and bullsh1t and repetitiveness and bullsh1t and repetitiveness.

Like your post then?

Only messing :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

5starpool wrote: »
    If Downing plays any part in the game tomorrow it should put to bed any rumours of an imminent deal with West Ham I'd say, although the opposite isn't necessarily true either of course.
    look how quick Spearing got sorted from playing in Norway on Wednesday to signing for Bolton less than 2 days later
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Just heard Barnes on news talk there earlier, now that man can talk fast. He must be one of the most articulate, sensible and intelligent ex-footballers going.
    Really can talk sense, it's a pity more of his fellow ex-pros can't be held in such high regard.
    Barnes is a guy we really should be getting involved more within the club as an ambassador now that his job on ESPN is gone. Ian Rush seems to be the only high profile ex player involved at the moment, be good to see Barnes brought into the fold aswell

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

True enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I hope they arent going to sell the line that keeping Suarez is like a 'new signing'
    Its like hes being held hostage right now, he doesnt want to be there
    I really dont see this as a positive at all. Unless Suarez has a major change of heart

Its exactly what they will do.

This whole sorry mess has been the perfect smokescreen.

Come the match against Stoke we'll have signed nobody and our best player will be watching us from the stands. I'm not looking forward to this season one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

If we sign nobody else this window, it's a fcuking disgrace!!

Looking on SSN earlier I seen we sold 3 and bought 3 for roughly the same price £22m so I can't see the hold up.
    :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It's starting to make me very nervous. Our new players all show potential but that's only potential.

We still need a new CB, DM, and a striker to replace a departed/suspended Suarez.

I hope it's not a case of we start the season and test the water for our new player THEN make plans...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

i would rather wait to sign the right players then sign players just to appease the fans.. there are not that many quality players available to buy it would seem.

all have moved to france/russia/ukraine/city n chelsea... limited pool to pick from, lets not spend money for the sake of spending,otherwise were goin backwards.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Cant wait for the match later, its going to be my first LFC match that I've attended in a long time....since they played against Shels in Tolka Park. :eek:

I like the idea of Masch coming back, I still think that he is one of the best players in the world, but goes unnoticed because his position on the pitch, and is not all flair.

I also believe that the club are handling the Suarez situation perfectly. The backtracking by Suarez is a positive sign, at the end of the day, after all this, we still need him at the club , him being one of the best players in the world and all that.
    I would expect a big apology (on the LFC channel, not the telegraph or guardian), and acceptance of training by himself, then training with the ressies closer to the end of the ban. When his ban is up, then an appearance on the bench and slowly worked into the first team again.

Someone mentioned earlier about sacking his agent.....I believe the Agents know their contracts with their players much better than they know players contracts with their clubs. These are difficult to get out of and percentages of future earnings/transfer costs will still be passed on to them.
    So I don't see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=198423.0;attach=245926;image

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

LFC News...
    _69201390_suarez-getty.jpg
    Luis Suarez: Almost 'impossible' for him to leave - PFA chief

Professional Footballers' Association chief Gordon Taylor says it will be "practically impossible" for Luis Suarez to leave Liverpool this month.

Suarez, 26, has been told to train alone after seeking a move to Arsenal.
    "With the transfer window expiring, the difficulties of not only selling him to a competitor but also replacing him makes it practically impossible," Taylor said.
    Liverpool owner John W Henry has said Suarez will not be sold this summer.

Arsenal have had two offers turned down by the Reds, the latest of which was a pound over £40m.
    Uruguay international striker Suarez thought this offer would trigger a clause a his contract, allowing him to move.
    "I think it really muddies the waters to have buy-out clauses that are supposed to be confidential between employer and employee," Taylor told BBC Sport.
    "Inevitably that gets out. The drafting of such clauses are far from straightforward.
    "These are issues we are going to have to raise with the Premier League at our regular discussions."
    With less than four weeks to go before the transfer window closes, Henry is adamant any offers from overseas clubs will also be rejected.
    "Suarez won't be sold, even if a foreign club comes in, because we do not have time to sign a suitable replacement," Henry said.
    The American revealed that Suarez and his agent, Pere Guardiola, were informed any deal for him to leave Anfield would have to be completed early in the transfer window - giving manager Brendan Rodgers sufficient time to reinvest the fee.
    Rodgers has said the player has shown "total disrespect" for Liverpool and, when queried whether he envisaged the Uruguay international turning out for the Reds again, Henry replied: "That's going to be between the manager and player.
    "The manager is upset, as he should be. The supporters are upset, Luis is, but that's going to be between those two and his team-mates. We need Luis. Hopefully this will pass."

The Suarez saga

24 April: Banned for 10 games by the Football Association for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.

29 May: Drops a big hint that he wants to leave Liverpool after saying he finds life in England hard.

12 June: Suarez reiterates his love for Liverpool, but insists life in England is very hard.

8 July : Liverpool turn down a £30m bid from Arsenal.

24 July: Arsenal offer £40,000,001 for Suarez, triggering a clause in his contract.

2 August: Says he will consider a formal transfer request and the possibility of court action if his Liverpool dispute is not resolved.

7 August: Suarez says he wants to leave Liverpool to join a Champions League side.

8 August: Told to train alone by manager Brendan Rodgers, who says the player has shown "total disrespect" for the club.

8 August: Liverpool owner John W Henry insists striker Luis Suarez will not be sold this summer - no matter what the price.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23635013
    Pepe Reina has welcomed Napoli's link with Liverpool's Martin Skrtel

skrtelreina_2984628.jpg?20130809114548

Pepe Reina has welcomed Napoli's reported interest in his former Liverpool team-mate Martin Skrtel.

Napoli have been linked with a move for Skrtel with Rafa Benitez thought to be lining up a second raid on his old club after bringing in Reina on loan from Liverpool earlier this summer.

Reina was remaining coy on any possible move from Napoli for Skrtel, but he is a big admirer of the Slovakian international.

"I don't know what Napoli are looking for but I can say Martin Skrtel is a good player," said Reina.

"But he is a Liverpool player. His qualities would be great for any team and he is a great player.

"I respect Liverpool, Martin Skrtel and all of the Napoli players, so I can't say anything more about this."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8862285/pepe-reina-has-welcomed-napolis-link-with-liverpools-martin-skrtel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Just heard Barnes on news talk there earlier, now that man can talk fast.

They played the anfield rap did they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

audman wrote: »
    If I could say one thing to this thread...

...wear sunscreen?

7 days to kickoff!!

5starpool wrote: »

Spearing and Shelvey played both played immediately before their transfers, so Downing playing today indicates nothing really.

Shall I start a Dublin Decider {tm} match thread? ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

rarnes1 wrote: »
    7 days to kickoff!!

7 hours til kick off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Spearing and Shelvey played both played immediately before their transfers, so Downing playing today indicates nothing really.

Shall I start a Dublin Decider {tm} match thread? ;)

go wan sure. can't wait brother, father , 2 nieces (first time) and all my firends celtic and liverpool will be in the one sectionn...should be great craic. can't wait

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement