Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

So that's Wanyama, Capoue and Medel who have all gone for affordable sums and imo would improve our midfield.

Not sure what the strategy is for this window, but I'm not really enamoured with it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

still no sign of signings.

I know it's only one pre-season, and the only one lost, but today showed some of the same deficiencies from last season.

we couldn't score despite plenty of chances.
    we got done by a target-man type scorer.

ugh.

please may I just be a paranoid eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Did we play our best 11 for the 90?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Celtic are comfortably the best opposition faced in preseason. And they would be relegated from the premiership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Celtic are comfortably the best opposition faced in preseason. And they would be relegated from the premiership

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I guess Liverpool will be relegated so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Celtic reserves I might add

Coutinho is really an exceptional talent. It will be a long hard season for us with no Suarez on form i'm afraid.

Celtic walked through our midfield a few times aswell. Central defence were also bullied on occasion.

One striking thing about our team is our inability to win clean possession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/rodgers-demands-suarez-apology-603298.html

Rodgers expects Suarez to apologise. Bit in there too about Henry being unhappy with the FPP situation. I reckon he knows FSG's only hope of making us a success is if that is strongly enforced.
    “I knew well about the financial problems football has when I took over Liverpool.

“It does not look like FFP works. I am very unhappy that they have not taken seriously the rules, and it’s also frustrating that UEFA have not done so. They need to address the problem. It should have worked better.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I guess Liverpool will be relegated so.

Yes, thats exactly how you interpret the result of one off matches..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/rodgers-demands-suarez-apology-603298.html

Rodgers expects Suarez to apologise. Bit in there too about Henry being unhappy with the FPP situation. I reckon he knows FSG's only hope of making us a success is if that is strongly enforced.

FFP is too easy to circumvent, sponsorships and merchandising are easily manipulated by mega-rich owners.

Wouldn't surprise me to see FSG sell up citing inadequacy of FFP as reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Well lads, sorry if it was already asked/said but could one of ye answer what the clapping at the 81st today was for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

muff03 wrote: »
    Well lads, sorry if it was already asked/said but could one of ye answer what the clapping at the 81st today was for?

Think it was or singing 'Justice for the 96' by everyone but that's second hand info, i missed portions of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Allen not good enough for the position he played today. I think he should be kept as a back up option to Gerrard. Then there's Henderson, who I would also consider back up to Gerrard. Don't think there's need for both Henderson and Allen in the squad. They both offer much the same without offering enough to considered for a first team place.

I'll get sick if I see Downing starting next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Yes, thats exactly how you interpret the result of one off matches..

Makes about as much sense as what lloyd said there. Isn't it amazing how little some people know about something they spend a lot of time looking at and talking about:pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Wisdom looked tired out there, surprised to see him wait on for the 90. Sturridge looked sharp, going by the current market looks like a steal at 12m. As for Coutinho, no words needed. Aspas had a bad day but has showed enough in pre-season to be optimistic. Overall happy with the performance (and pre season in general) just a shame we couldn't get that goal.

Onwards and upwards :)

• Advertisement

For the record I believe we will escape relegation, dunno if people mis-interpreted my post or what..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

At TAW why would you pay 15 to talk amongst yourselves, so annoying

sorry venting :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I wouldn't hurt us to try and pick up someone off the conveyer belt of ridiculous belgian talent, like Zakaria Bakkali

17 yrs old and scored that goal for his hattrick today...bloody hell.

retalivity wrote: »
    I wouldn't hurt us to try and pick up someone off the conveyer belt of ridiculous belgian talent, like Zakaria Bakkali

17 yrs old and scored that goal for his hattrick today...bloody hell.

He's absolutely savage in the handheld version of Football Manager anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

naughtb4 wrote: »
    At TAW why would you pay 15 to talk amongst yourselves, so annoying

sorry venting :-/

Or use your phone post to an online forum whilst there. Some people eh?

• Advertisement

Yeah a team who did quite well in the champions league last year would be relegated :rolleyes:

I wonder about people sometimes.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ian Ayre spent his Ryanair flight to Dublin being urged to sell the disillusioned and disaffected striker by supporters. (Guardian)
    Ayre, and Michael Owen, flew over with the great unwashed on Ryanair and received a gruelling interrogation from the rows behind. (Guardian)
    BRVZIPmCQAEyr-o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

I have never thought Enrique was good enough for us...after seeing him today in person I'm convinced!!

billy2012 wrote: »
    I have never thought Enrique was good enough for us...after seeing him today in person I'm convinced!!

I disagree, he has his bad days but when he is on his game he is excellent. Remember that spell last season, he was unstoppable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Yeah a team who did quite well in the champions league last year would be relegated :rolleyes:

I wonder about people sometimes.

Not with that starting 11.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Odd quote on Ryanair's passengers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Was at the game today.

We seemed very toothless and careless on the ball. Gerard was non existent at times

I disagree, he has his bad days but when he is on his game he is excellent. Remember that spell last season, he was unstoppable!

Are you for real??

Clutching at straws here but maybe they were all just a bit half assed in fear of getting an injury before the start of the season!

I hope that at Anfield next week with the crowd up for we will see a far higher tempo and higher quality display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Has anyone been looking at the way Hughes has Stoke playing over the summer?

• Advertisement

Enrique is such an odd ball. I've made reference to this before in relation to the interest in Cissokho the other day, but Enrique is totally incapable of both defending and attacking. He can do one or the other. His crossing for a full back is simply atrocious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Grayditch wrote: »

Christ no!

Its depressing enough following Liverpool!!

Grayditch wrote: »

Nope, but I've read a few different people say they're passing it a lot more along the ground than they were under Pulis, which wouldn't hard to do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

You see this forum is held in a bit of a vacuum, a vacuum where kess and a few other are king. I don't believe that players that sign for Swansea but salivated over on this forum are good enough for Liverpool. I am impressed with Rodgers this pre season.

He has identified players, and probably has a top three of players he wants for the positions he feels need strengthening but he is not panic buying because they are not available. He is waiting for the next opportunity. We signed two great players in the January window last year and that might need to be the case this year. Let's not forget Suarez was also signed in the January window.

I'm also impressed with how he is falling dealing with the Suarez situation. If he scored no goals for us next season and rots on the bench at least that's 30 less goals for arsenal.

That all said, we are weaker on the pitch than I would have liked but we are staying true to ourselves and not allowing players (suarez) and other clubs(arsenal) to back us in to a corner.

Im all for discussing the details of our affairs, it's good for fans to know the ins and outs of modern football but I believe in the new manager and place my confidence in his superior knowledge of the situation as it stands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm wondering are they set up as solidy for defence, cause I'd worry about getting through if we were going to play like today. I'm probably reading too much into today. Not as much as some Celtic fans, though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vicxas wrote: »
    Was at the game today.

We seemed very toothless and careless on the ball. Gerard was non existent at times

Its not really been discussed by others but its been clear to me that he has walked through pre-season. He'd probably just say its a question of pacing himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

An absolutely awful match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I wouldn't read into losing a pre-season match again Celtic that much lads.

Knee-jerk is the term which defines the majority of this thread :P

billy2012 wrote: »
    Are you for real??

I'm being totally serious do you not remember how good he was during that spell last season? Defending well, getting assists and scoring goals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

We lost because Rodgers has made Liverpool adopt the tika-taka style and Celtic/ Lennon had quite a lot of preparation for defending against this style playing against Barcelona in the CL earlier this year.
    The jest of how to suppress it is "close them down quickly and without hesitation."
    Made us keep making crappy passes under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

mike65 wrote: »

apparently they're also buying miralem pjanic too. Spurs are just buying everyone it seems.
    I don't think so.
    15m for those two seems awfully low.

We can forget about 4th if that's true. Not that it's likely even as it is.

Honestly doesn't surprise me at all.

2 very good players that we genuinely had a good chance of getting, relatively cheap, wouldn't command HUGE wages and an upgrade on the starting XI....AND both would suit the way we play perfectly.

I thought Rodgers would of been keen, and earlier in the window I thought we were going to make a move for them.

Both players often talked about Liverpool aswel.

I shall wait till the end of the window and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's all very well saying that other clubs can buy players on the cheap, but when clubs like liverpool come in for them all of sudden the prices rise by 5 or 10 million.

• Advertisement

There is no way they're going for £15M combined. No way.

Why are we waiting until the end of the window though? It doesn't make sense

There's 9 points to play for before that and after last season we should have learned a valuable lesson.

Oh the story and the prices certainly are almost definitely BS but you just kinda fear Spurs are still looking to buy people even though the Bale chat has died right down (which in turn might be good for getting shot of Suarez at a fair price)

Mirror also going with Will Hughes to Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    There is no way they're going for £15M combined. No way.

absolutely agree. no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

bad2dabone wrote: »
    absolutely agree. no chance.

If anything it's a push for us to show our hand

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement