Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

raven136 wrote: »
    Im a Liverpool fan but my god we have to be the worst set of fans.

Agendas,hating the manager,still wanting the other one back,blaming rodgers for everything,im wating for him to be blamed that its raining next.

A lot of the fans are purposely staying out of this whole speculation and mess.

Personally I believe we will improve upon last years points tally, if we get a good start to the season who knows where we will be come spring.

I am happy to see how Brendan Rodgers does this year, and to see at the end of the season where we are.

People who are using twitter for information and checking up every article that's put up online are only driving themselves mad, its mostly all speculation.

Hopefully in a few weeks time this forum will take on some semblance of normality again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Still 2 players to come in, hopefully LFC don't do what they did and leave it to late and we get nobody else in this window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Vanolder wrote: »
    The problem is a lot of lads in here think we are at the top tier of clubs, but we aint. They can't see that we are a mid table club and as such are open to losing our best players to the top clubs domestically and abroad. When our position is accepted, and they realise that it's going to take a few years to get back to where we want to be by building from the bottom up, these chaps will be at ease with themselves and the forum.

Meh. Being fashionably realistic isn't all its cracked up to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I do, but I've been hearing about the great benefits our Academy would reap for us for a long time now. It was a disaster pre 2004 despite the fact that we won the lotto on players like Gerrard, Owen et al. We're coming on a decade of reconstruction from it and what do we have to show thus far?

I like Kelly, and he's had rotten luck with injuries thus far. Sterling, Wisdom and Ibe are a huge test for me. If they aren't solid contributers in five years time (or haven't garnered good fees) then I think it will be hard to argue that it's producing the goods. Though it's a tough business producing players good enough for Premiership level of course.

Rafa only gained control of the Academy in 2009. It was when he had the contract renewal and he asked for a few things including control over the Acadmey or he wouldn't sign. It was at that time Benitez brought in McParland, Segura and Borrell. So the changes are still very much in the infancy.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What Liverpool need to do is trust in Rodgers and let him keep building the team.

A reasonable target for next year is any improvement. Finishing 5th or 6th with a points improvement while improving the squad is fine.

If you do this for a couple of years, then you'll be on the cusp of CL and the next time you get a player of Suarez's ability, you'll get there.

Arsensl have a better squad, a more experienced manager and are looking to blow 40million on a striker. Liverpool are currently no competition to them.

Be realistic, give them time. This will take years and lots of ins and outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

opr wrote: »
    Rafa only gained control of the Academy in 2009. It was when he had the contract renewal and he asked for a few things including control over the Acadmey or he wouldn't sign. It was at that time Benitez brought in McParland, Segura and Borrell. So the changes are still very much in the infancy.

Opr

Didn't realise it was that late. That's a shame really that he didn't have control for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Ayre...
    LiverpoolScout ‏@LiverpoolScout 1h
    Ayre also told AFR that Liverpool plan to buy at least two more players in the current window & that the club "still have some work to do."

Ayre: "We provide a… bunch of intellectual property to them, we provide players when we are on tour there and we do a Honda LFC motorcycle."

Ayre also said the club's current relationship with Honda Motors in Thailand is a model example of such affiliations.

Ayre: "There's a finite number of global partners you can have, which is dictated by category and inventory you can provide." #LFC

Ayre told AFR the staff "will look for like minded brands that want to associate with [LFC]… that could include Australia." | #LFC

Ian Ayre has told the Australian Financial Review the club will leave behind 15 commercial staff in Asia after the club departs back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Will be sorry to see reina go great servant for the club.
    My favourite reina moment
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnX0hunASXs

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There is one thing in the Suarez to Arsenal thing that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I am not denying that Arsenal are a step up from Liverpool at the moment, you'd need to be blind to not admit that. However, if he goes to Arsenal, he would probably be there for at least a couple of years, at which time he will be not far off 29, and less likely to get a move to the likes of Real/Bayern/Barca, or wherever, if one of those level of clubs is where he ultimately aspires to.

Maybe he can achieve some career goals at an Arsenal who are finally starting spend, although aside from his purchase, they aren't really been linked with any other top quality imports this summer (aside from Higuain who is out of the question).

It's a question of whether he can achieve his goals there or not, and I think not. He will get to play CL most likely (if they get through to the group stages) this season, but a title challenge, even with him, looks less than likely. I'm certainly not suggesting he will achieve his goals of challenging for major honours at Liverpool unfortunately, but with a bit of diplomacy he might be able to negotiate his way into a glamour transfer next summer. It's inevitable almost that he won't be at Liverpool in 13 months, and unlikely that he will be there in 6 weeks as well I think, but in terms of career, Arsenal seems to be too small a step to make for him, is what I'm trying to say.

People getting overly emotional or petty calling him rat boy, traitor, scum and so on, who defended him most likely over the last couple of years are pretty annoying, by the way. I'll be devestated if he shows up at Anfield as an opposing player, but I won't join in the boos though that would be inevitable if next year he came out as a gooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The keeper outrage is ridiculous to be honest.

Look at Chelsea, 2 outstanding goalkeepers but only 1 can play. So 1 is on loan in Spain and they keep the other with a backup. Courtois on the bench serves them no purpose. Same with Reina.

I would like to see Jones upgraded to, say, an Alex McCarthy. Should be reasonably priced with reasonable wage and would be excellent cover.

But if that doesn't happen I'm still ok with Jones. He's been fine as cover and that's what you need. Somebody who's ok sitting on the bench. If we can upgrade, fine, but the point is that it's more of a gradual upgrade because whoever comes in would still have to be "bench-quality" rather than 1st team regular.

Players like Reina and Courtois are 1st teamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that his wife is unhappy on Merseyside and simply wants away.

London may be seen as the more attractive option, nicer shops and lifestyle and all that.

Wouldn't be the first player to do whats dictated to him at home.

He seems to have latched onto the first club that showed an interest which clearly means he just wants away from Liverpool, with no one specific club in mind. Anywhere will do
    5starpool wrote: »
    There is one thing in the Suarez to Arsenal thing that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I am not denying that Arsenal are a step up from Liverpool at the moment, you'd need to be blind to not admit that. However, if he goes to Arsenal, he would probably be there for at least a couple of years, at which time he will be not far off 29, and less likely to get a move to the likes of Real/Bayern/Barca, or wherever, if one of those level of clubs is where he ultimately aspires to.

Maybe he can achieve some career goals at an Arsenal who are finally starting spend, although aside from his purchase, they aren't really been linked with any other top quality imports this summer (aside from Higuain who is out of the question).

It's a question of whether he can achieve his goals there or not, and I think not. He will get to play CL most likely (if they get through to the group stages) this season, but a title challenge, even with him, looks less than likely. I'm certainly not suggesting he will achieve his goals of challenging for major honours at Liverpool unfortunately, but with a bit of diplomacy he might be able to negotiate his way into a glamour transfer next summer. It's inevitable almost that he won't be at Liverpool in 13 months, and unlikely that he will be there in 6 weeks as well I think, but in terms of career, Arsenal seems to be too small a step to make for him, is what I'm trying to say.

People getting overly emotional or petty calling him rat boy, traitor, scum and so on, who defended him most likely over the last couple of years are pretty annoying, by the way. I'll be devestated if he shows up at Anfield as an opposing player, but I won't join in the boos though that would be inevitable if next year he came out as a gooner.

I can't Speak for the others, but the Problem I have with Suarez, is that he could have Worked with us.

Instead, he put us into an Untenable Position, where we either Lose him to one of our Closest Rivals, or Lose him for far Less than what he is Worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

gosplan wrote: »
    What Liverpool need to do is trust in Rodgers and let him keep building the team.

A reasonable target for next year is any improvement. Finishing 5th or 6th with a points improvement while improving the squad is fine.

If you do this for a couple of years, then you'll be on the cusp of CL and the next time you get a player of Suarez's ability, you'll get there.

Arsensl have a better squad, a more experienced manager and are looking to blow 40million on a striker. Liverpool are currently no competition to them.

Be realistic, give them time. This will take years and lots of ins and outs.

The problem some have is that your placing a lot of trust in someone with little experience. This is his first 'big' job. If it doesn't work out, you have to go back to square one in 2015-16 and start all over again.
    I guess some would be more trustful of a more experienced manager.

I'm not saying I'm in the above camp but I think that's a big reservation for some of the doubters, a logical enough doubt, more a curious spectator as to how it will all work out.

I can't Speak for the others, but the Problem I have with Suarez, is that he could have Worked with us.

Instead, he put us into an Untenable Position, where we either Lose him to one of our Closest Rivals, or Lose him for far Less than what he is Worth.

I'll see how it plays out before casting judgements on it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these happen:

1. He goes to Arsenal for around 50m
    2. He goes to Madrid, or another late surprice bidder, but for around 40m or a bit more.
    3. He stays, probably signing a new contract in the process with more definite clauses, hopefully concerning non english teams, and leaves next summer.

We have got lots of various reports of this about to happen, and so and so says this, but most of those seem unsubstantiated, so wait and see is the only sensible policy before everyone spits the dummy imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Hidalgo wrote: »
    The problem some have is that your placing a lot of trust in someone with little experience. This is his first 'big' job. If it doesn't work out, you have to go back to square one in 2015-16 and start all over again.

I'm not saying I'm in the above camp but I think that's a big reservation for some of the doubters, a logical enough doubt, more a curious spectator as to how it will all work out.

And sometimes, you need a fresh start and to take a risk.

Fergie was a risk.
    Wenger was a risk.
    Guardiola was a risk.
    Hell, Shanks was a risk!

Rodgers may have limited experience at the top level, but he's been training and working as a coach for 20 years or so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Pretty much sums up my feelings on it. I have been pretty certain since last summer that he would be gone this year...he is too good for us as we are, but he is also too good for Arsenal. He will probably have to give them two years minimum when all the big clubs will be back in the market next summer with him most likely one of the most attractive options, although Wenger seems to be a pushover in letting players leave so maybe they will come to an agreement that he will do a year there.

Dickerty wrote: »

Fergie was a risk.
    Wenger was a risk.
    Guardiola was a risk.
    Hell, Shanks was a risk!

Rodgers may have limited experience at the top level, but he's been training and working as a coach for 20 years or so....

Fergie had done excellently with Aberdeen, had a track record. Guardiola, although a risk wasn't rebuilding to the same extreme that Liverpool are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rodgers was a risk like employing alex mcleish would have been a risk, those two are the same level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

rossie1977 wrote: »
    rodgers was a risk like employing alex mcleish would have been a risk, those two are the same level

Terrible comparison.

Fergie had done excellently with Aberdeen, had a track record. Guardiola, although a risk wasn't rebuilding to the same extreme that Liverpool are.

A track record in Scotland is a long way from winning in England though, and that rebuilding took him 6 years.

My point is that it is not always right to bring in experienced managers with long-standing ideas and connections. Hodgson and Kenny both showed that we needed a different approach, a little more bravery and a new style of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

8-10 wrote: »
    The keeper outrage is ridiculous to be honest.

Look at Chelsea, 2 outstanding goalkeepers but only 1 can play. So 1 is on loan in Spain and they keep the other with a backup. Courtois on the bench serves them no purpose. Same with Reina.

I would like to see Jones upgraded to, say, an Alex McCarthy. Should be reasonably priced with reasonable wage and would be excellent cover.

But if that doesn't happen I'm still ok with Jones. He's been fine as cover and that's what you need. Somebody who's ok sitting on the bench. If we can upgrade, fine, but the point is that it's more of a gradual upgrade because whoever comes in would still have to be "bench-quality" rather than 1st team regular.

Players like Reina and Courtois are 1st teamers.

Chelsea have Cech and Schwarzer.

United have DeGea and Lindegaard.

City have Hart and Pantilimon [not much better than Jones to be fair]

Spurs have Lloris and Friedel.

Arsenal have Szchezny and Fabianski.

I wouldn't be very comfortable with Jones as number 2. A calamity waiting to happen. Played a big role in our FA Cup exit last season.

Although he did deputise fairly well when called upon, I would not like to be relying on him too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Alex McLeish may be a decent manager at a certain level, like Hodgson, Allardyce, O'Neill etc - but he is completely unable to get decent players to actually play football.

Setting a team up to be organised and no more is a very limited way to play the game and will be found out at a higher level.

Rodgers, while he is unproven, is at least able to communicate attacking ideas to players, to allow them to play with some freedom and creativity.

joe123 wrote: »
    Terrible comparison.

you are correct, mcleish actually had won something and had more experience with the likes of rangers and scotland but he got birmingham promoted, season after brought birmingham to 9th with 50 points, rodgers got swansea promoted season after got them to 11th with 47 points

i do laugh though that rodgers had experience working under mourinho which is why some fans say he will come good etc etc when liverpool sacked mourinhos assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Girls cry after I meet them for a whole different reason!

Gerraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGvt579dXJc&feature=c4-overview&list=UU9LQwHZoucFT94I2h6JOcjw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wow that's a terrible post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

you are correct, mcleish actually had won something and had more experience with the likes of rangers and scotland but he got birmingham promoted, season after brought birmingham to 9th with 50 points, rodgers got swansea promoted season after got them to 11th with 47 points

i do laugh though that rodgers had experience working under mourinho which is why some fans say he will come good etc etc when liverpool sacked mourinhos assistant

So according to your logic Alex McLeish should be manager of Man Utd isntead of David Moyes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

The only issue I have with Rodgers is the frequency he talks through his arse. I'm surprised the Campaign for Real English haven't descended on him ! Apart from that, I just LOVE the way he has the team playing football. As long as we are progressing season by season, I'll be happy enough.

One thing that concerns me is the lack of a purchase of a really top class, no issues Central Defender. Toure only potentially replaces an ageing Carragher, we still lacked at least another (arguably two) top class CD. One who will become the rock of Liverpool over the next 5/6 years.

A track record in Scotland is a long way from winning in England though, and that rebuilding took him 6 years.

ferguson broke the rangers/celtic monopoly in scotland, thats a huge f**king deal, before ferguson aberdeen had won one title in their history, thats like someone like malaga going on to dominate spanish football ahead of barca and real and win a european trophy to boot

brendan rodgers is not and never will be alex ferguson, i don't care if you give him 50 years

murpho999 wrote: »
    So according to your logic Alex McLeish should be manager of Man Utd isntead of David Moyes?

no because man utd owners are not stupid, if fsg were in charge of livepool in 2004 they would have employed curbishley as the manager not rafa

• Advertisement

My point is that it is not always right to bring in experienced managers with long-standing ideas and connections. Hodgson and Kenny both showed that we needed a different approach, a little more bravery and a new style of play.

Fergie also won a UEFA cup, when it was a big deal.No team outside Rangers and Celtic has since won the SPL. I'm not arguing its a similar standard of league to Englnad, but winning there was a serious achievement

Hodgson and Kenny proved they weren't up to the task. That doesn't equate to every experienced manager not being up to the task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

ferguson broke the rangers/celtic monopoly in scotland, thats a huge f**king deal, before ferguson aberdeen had won one title in their history, thats like someone like malaga going on to dominate spanish football ahead of barca and real and win a european trophy to boot

brendan rodgers is not and never will be alex ferguson, i don't care if you give him 50 years

Ferguson wouldn't have gotten where he got without patience. Unfortunately most fans these days want instant success, so the days of getting 7 years to win the league are well and truly over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

brendan rodgers is not and never will be alex ferguson

That's very true. Tbf, Ferguson is a one off and it will be sometime if ever a manager in England comes close to his record.

Can I borrow your crystal ball? I need to find my car keys - before i lose them!

Ridiculous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The Scottish league at the time wasn't the duopoly it later became. In the eighties, 4 different clubs won the league, as many as have ever won thee prem in its first 19yrs. I'm not disputing his achievements there btw, just pointing out that it was a different time

As for the Mcleish comparison, it's invalid IMO, as Mcleish has proven what type of manager he is, what his ceiling is, and how he handles a big club. Rodgers has had a year at a big club, and at this stage, the jury's still out

He may prove better or worse then Mcleish, but one thing that is apparent to anyone that's ever seen either of their sides play is that they are very, very different types of managers

Hodgson and Kenny proved they weren't up to the task. That doesn't equate to every experienced manager not being up to the task.

I am just talking about for us. We could have brought in another long standing manager, who wanted to bring in 4/5 players he knew and trusted, or change the academy structure to suit them, or whatever.
    Rodgers was able to make relatively small changes (unless you count the removal of 6 high-earners), change our style of play to something more modern/current, and promote from within. It was a breath of fresh air, and I think it was what we needed.

But time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

no because man utd owners are not stupid, if fsg were in charge of livepool in 2004 they would have employed curbishley as the manager not rafa

You don't know if Utd owners are stupid or not as this is their first managerial appointment.

Curbishley comment is silly as he was an established manager then not a seen as "young and upcoming" like Rodgers was.

FSG also got rid of Hodgson so they're not that stupid.

murpho999 wrote: »
    You don't know if Utd owners are stupid or not as this is their first managerial appointment.

Curbishley comment is silly as he was an established manager then not a seen as "young and upcoming" like Rodgers was.

FSG also got rid of Hodgson so they're not that stupid.

Good point, the Glaziers taking over Utd is not comparable to FSG and Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

djPSB wrote: »
    Chelsea have Cech and Schwarzer.

United have DeGea and Lindegaard.

City have Hart and Pantilimon [not much better than Jones to be fair]

Spurs have Lloris and Friedel.

Arsenal have Szchezny and Fabianski.

I wouldn't be very comfortable with Jones as number 2. A calamity waiting to happen. Played a big role in our FA Cup exit last season.

Although he did deputise fairly well when called upon, I would not like to be relying on him too often.

Can Reina be recalled from his loan deal?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Can Reina be recalled from his loan deal?

I don't think you can recall from foreign loan deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I don't think you can recall from foreign loan deals.
    Napoli more than likely paid a fee of I'd say around the €2m mark to secure the deal for the season aswell

Dotsey wrote: »
    Napoli more than likely paid a fee of I'd say around the €2m mark to secure the deal for the season aswell

I'm sure the terms of the loan will be be known at some point.

Did someone put a 50 page limit on this thread?

People must be working or taking pills or something. In the meantime I suggest you switch to 40 posts per page.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

suits me.......

broken-f5-button-700x525.jpg

can't take much more of this Suarez saga.......

BQF9e7ACQAE8iwK.jpg:large

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Next year, I'm turning my internet off for the Summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

kop77 wrote: »

broken-f5-button-700x525.jpg

can't take much more of this Suarez saga.......

The wife's always grateful for these saga's though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Mumha wrote: »
    The only issue I have with Rodgers is the frequency he talks through his arse. I'm surprised the Campaign for Real English haven't descended on him ! Apart from that, I just LOVE the way he has the team playing football. As long as we are progressing season by season, I'll be happy enough.

One thing that concerns me is the lack of a purchase of a really top class, no issues Central Defender. Toure only potentially replaces an ageing Carragher, we still lacked at least another (arguably two) top class CD. One who will become the rock of Liverpool over the next 5/6 years.

I couldn't agree more on both issues. I think a top class centre half should be a priority. Where as attracting a top class attacking player is difficult with us out of the champions league bringing in a class centre half would improve the team straight away. I honestly believe we'll be alot closer to 4th this season being out of the europa league is a blessing in disguise. Its obvious to me that our buying has stalled due to the Suarez situation. They're waiting to see how much money will be available.

• Advertisement

People must be working or taking pills or something. In the meantime I suggest you switch to 40 posts per page.

Same every day between 1 and 2 - outrage and confrontation has to go for lunch too! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement