Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Sad honest fact is he is too good for our current setup. If we don't show real ambition in the next 2 windows I can see him moving next summer. He is gonna be a world superstar.

Jesus, only the sadcases on this thread could make us having a potentially world class player on our hands sound like a bad thing. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Right I'm just going to stick this out there, I'm not a Rodgers hater BUT

I think he's a good guy and I also like the word intensity and all the other buzzwords he uses. I like the way he has Liverpool playing and the way he handles the press BUT He needs to realize fast that there is far too many players for midfield and the front three that are not up to a top four level.

Rodgers is a young guy and I have been giving him some time to settle BUT I wonder is he putting enough pressure on the owners for the proper funds to improve the starting XI.

Downing, Henderson, Allen just aren't measuring up and I could probably throw in the two fullbacks as they are very important to the system Rodgers plays.

Its so obvious what we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If Dalglish didnt **** the club up financially maybe that could of been a possibility but Rogers and LFC has to live with the fallout of his absolute ineptness in the transfer market for years to come.

They gave Dalglish the job and approved the transfer fees so they are more than a little to blame for the position we are in. There's little point in keeping the club if they aren't going to invest enough to get us back into the top 4 at least. Just sell us on before we slide further into mediocrity. Maybe we have money, I don't know but I'll be pretty disappointed come the end of the window if we haven't brought at least 2 decent players in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Right I'm just going to stick this out there, I'm not a Rodgers hater BUT

I think he's a good guy and I also like the word intensity and all the other buzzwords he uses. I like the way he has Liverpool playing and the way he handles the press BUT He needs to realize fast that there is far too many players for midfield and the front three that are not up to a top four level.

Rodgers is a young guy and I have been giving him some time to settle BUT I wonder is he putting enough pressure on the owners for the proper funds to improve the starting XI.

Downing, Henderson, Allen just aren't measuring up and I could probably throw in the two fullbacks as they are very important to the system Rodgers plays.

Its so obvious what we need.

But can we get the quality we need.

Its all well and good to complain that nobodys come in but i would rather wait for the right player rather than buy someone just for the sake of it and be trying to move them on in 2 years.

The way i see it our starters are slightly better than last year and the squad a good bit better than last year.

Good enough to challenge for top 4? Not unless 2 or 3 teams ahead of us have poor seasons.

We need a RW starter. Downing can do a job there and Aspas looks good (but not from yesterday). Enrique was off the pace yesterday too and Allen looks lost at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

5live wrote: »
    But can we get the quality we need.

Its all well and good to complain that nobodys come in but i would rather wait for the right player rather than buy someone just for the sake of it and be trying to move them on in 2 years.

The way i see it our starters are slightly better than last year and the squad a good bit better than last year.

Good enough to challenge for top 4? Not unless 2 or 3 teams ahead of us have poor seasons.

We need a RW starter. Downing can do a job there and Aspas looks good (but not from yesterday). Enrique was off the pace yesterday too and Allen looks lost at times.

You make it sound like we start 20 points behind them or something.
    We need to focus on winning games and not worry about what everyone around us is doing. If our manager thinks we can do that with a limited squad of potential, then great. But if he fails, its his fault and should pay the consequences.

• Advertisement

Sad honest fact is he is too good for our current setup. If we don't show real ambition in the next 2 windows I can see him moving next summer. He is gonna be a world superstar.

And Ibe won't be far behind him, even at 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Shunting coutinho out left for the sake of allen is pretty stupid imo, coutinho is still good out left, but hes great in the middle, allens best trait is his passing and finding space, his dribbling/strength shooting etc... Arent good enough for the most advamced role, hendo is better suited. If coutinho is gonna play central we need a lw/lwf if hes playing wide then we need a staring xi attacking mid, not allen.
    Also christ almighty enrique! Dont tell me his form is after flipping again he was shocking. We need two, if not three first team players by the end of the window, fortunately weve as handy a start as we could have hoped for and its clear as day theres money to spend. This was probably all said last night but theres 15 pages to read that i havent gotten around to yet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wow, cool the jets. He could be but if we've learned anything it's don't write a player off or overrate them too early in football. There have been far too many flash in the pan players in recent seasons, especially from Brazil. Sure ask any United fan after Anderson's first half season at United and they'd have waxed lyrical about him, now look.

klose wrote: »
    Shunting coutinho out left for the sake of allen is pretty stupid imo, coutinho is still good out left, but hes great in the middle, allens best trait is his passing and finding space, his dribbling/strength shooting etc... Arent good enough for the most advamced role, hendo is better suited. If coutinho is gonna play central we need a lw/lwf if hes playing wide then we need a staring xi attacking mid, not allen.
    Also christ almighty enrique! Dont tell me his form is after flipping again he was shocking. We need two, if not three first team players by the end of the window, fortunately weve as handy a start as we could have hoped for and its clear as day theres money to spend. This was probably all said last night but theres 15 pages to read that i havent gotten around to het :pac:

Henderson is miles better than Allen in the advanced position of the midfield trio. Allen is more suited to Gerrards position imo and he's not going to get a chance there.

After that Lucas's position would probably be his 2nd best position. I'm not sure if Rodgers is just being stubbornly stupid tbh.

I see no place for him in the starting 11 if we want to get top 4.

A top AM is needed or we need to change our system as I agree re Coutinho. He's wasted out wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

A Jack Robinson throw-in caused chaos in the Barnsley defence and got Blackpool a win yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Coutinho looks like he is always on fast forward everything he does is so quick he is unreal in fairness but we seriously need a couple of quality attacking players or i think we will struggle this year particularly if luis goes, spurs are interested in luis if bale goes and are favs to sign errikson and alderweilder from ajax according to sly sports this morning, i think we really need to get the finger out, ir we were the redsocks wed have spent about 200m by now:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Just finished watching the game this morning. I thought it was exactly the sort of test Liverpool needed. There will be games at Anfield that will follow a similar pattern. Pity Liverpool couldn't find a way through.

I thought too many players were off the pace. Gerrard, Enrique, Aspas, Allen, Henderson. In the second half the introduction of Sturridge and Ibe certainly gave the team a better attacking edge but the biggest difference was the move of Coutinho inside. He looks so much better in there and has done whenever he has played from there.

I'd echo the sentiments of others in that the team is short of 2 really good attacking players. Particularly out wide.

Pedalstool wrote: »
    Just finished watching the game this morning. I thought it was exactly the sort of test Liverpool needed. There will be games at Anfield that will follow a similar pattern. Pity Liverpool couldn't find a way through.

I thought too many players were off the pace. Gerrard, Enrique, Aspas, Allen, Henderson. In the second half the introduction of Sturridge and Ibe certainly gave the team a better attacking edge but the biggest difference was the move of Coutinho inside. He looks so much better in there and has done whenever he has played from there.

I'd echo the sentiments of others in that the team is short of 2 really good attacking players. Particularly out wide.
    Agree totally.

For me, our pre-season wasn't challenging enough. At least the game yesterday will serve as a reminder to the players that they will have to up the intensity next week. Also agree that Coutinho's best position looks to be in the number 10 position with a free role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

6 days until the season starts :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

After catching up on the pre season games from the last two weeks I am happy with Toure and Mignolet, they are not big improvements on Reina and Carragher but they should fill the gap left by two stalwarts of the last five years. Regarding Henderson and Allen and needing better players, personally I'd prefer if we were looking at a midfielder to compete with Gerrard and Lucas. Both are practically guaranteed starters even when they are not playing well.

Toure looks a good'n'. Was quite impressed with that acceleration he showed yesterday, and he has been solid aerially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

MD1990 wrote: »
    Kondongbia would be a player we should look to sign

Would imagine that we have no chance of getting him. My feeling is that he will wait for a really big move to a CL team, and that he would cost more than twice what Medel looks to be going for.

There are better players than Medel at what he does for a team, but we don't have one.

Looking at some the midfielders that have come to England this summer to date. Guys who would provide some steel as well as being able to pass the ball well (especially the first two names on my list)

Fer
    Capoue
    Medel
    Wanyama

They are guys that would have strengthened our squad and first team.

Every one of them cost less that what either of Allen or Henderson cost, and I would favour any of the four to come out on top of a midfield battle with either Henderson or Allen quite easily.

I would not want physicality dropped into our first team for the sake of it, but yesterday highlighted that we do still have a problem with that approach when it is used against us, and if we added a player or two who brought a degree of physicality ( and I don't just mean a player who is big and strong) along with bringing good technical ability, well that just makes sense to me given how we seem to have a lot of big moments in games go against us thanks to losing out on individual in game duels due to a player being able to outmuscle/outpace/bully one of our players in our first third.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would imagine that we have no chance of getting him. My feeling is that he will wait for a really big move to a CL team, and that he would cost more than twice what Medel looks to be going for.

There are better players than Medel at what he does for a team, but we don't have one.

Looking at some the midfielders that have come to England this summer to date. Guys who would provide some steel as well as being able to pass the ball well (especially the first two names on my list)

Fer
    Capoue
    Medel
    Wanyama

Every one of them cost less that what either of Allen or Henderson cost, and I would favour any of the four to come out on top of a midfield battle with either Henderson or Allen quite easily.

I would not want physicality dropped into our first team for the sake of it, but yesterday highlighted that we do still have a problem with that approach when it is used against us, and if we added a player or two who brought a degree of physicality ( and I don't just mean a player who is big and strong) along with bringing good technical ability, well that just makes sense to me given how we seem to have a lot of big moments in games go against us thanks to losing out on individual in game duels due to a player being able to outmuscle/outpace/bully one of our players in our first third.

Any thoughts on Sakho, who is being linked to us by L'Equipe I believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Fer
    Capoue
    Medel
    Wanyama

rumoured that Kondogbia's release clause is only 8.5m

We should soooo bid 8500001;-)

• Advertisement

To another Spanish team I believe.

Any thoughts on Sakho, who is being linked to us by L'Equipe I believe?

Have waxed on about him many times on here and elsewhere over the years. Excellent centre back who is probably better than any we have right now.

But he is very left sided, like our own Agger, and Agger we do not need to replace.

But if he could slot into the RCB slot, then I would have him at the club in a heartbeat. Skrtel at his best does not come close to Sakho.

He is fast, good with the ball at his feet, good in the air, good passer, aggressive, good tackler, very confident in his own ability, leads well, reads the play well, and is good at getting forward too.

Basically he is like Agger in terms of how he plays, but an Agger with a lot more to the physical side of his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Mr Alan wrote: »

Aye and not looking awful promising.

Off topic but I've been wondering for ages what the PHB in your sig means.

6 days until the season starts :)

Have waxed on about him many times on here and elsewhere over the years. Excellent centre back who is probably better than any we have right now.

But he is very left sided, like our own Agger, and Agger we do not need to replace.

But if he could slot into the RCB slot, then I would have him at the club in a heartbeat. Skrtel at his best does not come close to Sakho.

He is fast, good with the ball at his feet, good in the air, good passer, aggressive, good tackler, very confident in his own ability, leads well, reads the play well, and is good at getting forward too.

Basically he is like Agger in terms of how he plays, but an Agger with a lot more to the physical side of his game.

Given his determination to leave and get playing time before the World Cup, this seems a no brainer. The fact he could cover left back when called upon is an obvious bonus also.

Given Aggers injury record, a left sided CB is a logical move.

I think he might be available reasonably cheaply also.

Of the CB's linked to us this season, where would you place him?

PHB is a guy who used to post here

I'm certainly a little anxious but at the same time, there is a lot of time to get players in.

Unfortunately they won't have the chance to blend with the team before the season starts but that will be similar for a number of players in various teams across the league.

I think the big problem is that there is a short supply of quality players out there in this window and unfortunately we are down the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Can someone give me a list of who people used to be. Like does that lad Melion still post here? Awful messers changing yer names.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Can someone give me a list of who people used to be. Like does that lad Melion still post here? Awful messers changing yer names.

itll-happen-to-you.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Grayditch wrote: »

Melion is sitebanned, which is a shame...despite losing it a bit at the end he was a good poster.

Also be careful posting people's old usernames...got a disgruntled pm for doing it recently....I guess it's easier to post some stuff when you're anonymous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ha, weird. Yeah best forget that, so.

I'm certainly a little anxious but at the same time, there is a lot of time to get players in.

Unfortunately they won't have the chance to blend with the team before the season starts but that will be similar for a number of players in various teams across the league.

I think the big problem is that there is a short supply of quality players out there in this window and unfortunately we are down the pecking order.

There really isn't.

We got a few squad players in early and then Rodgers said we be buying a few to improve the first team.

We lost out on Mkytarian(sp?) and seem to have given up since then.

Personally I don't think we're gonna be buying anyone else and that's not good enough.

There isn't a short supply of quality players out there...Swansea and Norwich have bought players that would have improved our first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Missed the match yesterday how was Sturridge?

This whole "lack of quality out there" thing is just an incredible fallacy & is just said in an effort to try & excuse us potentially not doing any real business.

There really isn't.

We got a few squad players in early and then Rodgers said we be buying a few to improve the first team.

We lost out on Mkytarian(sp?) and seem to have given up since then.

Personally I don't think we're gonna be buying anyone else and that's not good enough.

There isn't a short supply of quality players out there...Swansea and Norwich have bought players that would have improved our first team.

I'm not so sure about that. Who would you be referring to here?

I think we need players in a number of positions but I would be reluctant to spend large sums on players who are a marginal improvement.

• Advertisement

You make it sound like we start 20 points behind them or something.
    We need to focus on winning games and not worry about what everyone around us is doing. If our manager thinks we can do that with a limited squad of potential, then great. But if he fails, its his fault and should pay the consequences.

Look, i agree with you up to a point. All teams start level.

We have a first team capable of getting 4th but even 1 if that team missing leads us to a big drop in quality. We are still 2 first team players short of making a good show of it.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Melion is sitebanned, which is a shame...despite losing it a bit at the end he was a good poster.

Also be careful posting people's old usernames...got a disgruntled pm for doing it recently....I guess it's easier to post some stuff when you're anonymous.

Melion attacked me for winding up Man Utd fans in a Swansea V Utd match thread last year. Said I was an embarrassment.

All the while he had racked up more yellow cards than Joey Barton on speed.

Ironic that.

Apart from that I got on pretty well with him. I wish him well.

We have a first team capable of getting 4th

WTF?!

No we don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

This whole "lack of quality out there" thing is just an incredible fallacy & is just said in an effort to try & excuse us potentially not doing any real business.

Why would any real quality come to a mid table club?

I'm not so sure about that. Who would you be referring to here?

I think we need players in a number of positions but I would be reluctant to spend large sums on players who are a marginal improvement.

Bony? Fer? Van Wolfswinkel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Vanolder wrote: »

$$$

Vanolder wrote: »
    Try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

We have a first team capable of getting 4th.

Your optimism is admirable, but no, no we don't not when you look at Spurs, City, Utd and Chelsea.

Barring one of those having a spectacularly poor season (and in 3 of those cases that's a points total lower than 75) we are aiming at 5th and no higher

Bony? Fer? Van Wolfswinkel?

I guess it depends on who you think they are an upgrade on?

Is Bony better than Sturridge? Fer underwhelmed me any time I've seen him.

Van Wolfswinkel I'm not sure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

There is no way we are gonna finish 4th with the squad we have now and thats with a all fireing luis suarez who i think will be gone in jan anyway or maybe before anyone who thinks we will is living in cload cukoo land!! The club has yet again badly failed the fans with a serious lack of quality signings so far anyway

As things stand currently, best we can hope for is a top 10 finish & Rodgers will likely be out of a job IMO.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Good point. In all the applause Agger has received on here for his loyalty, people seem to forget he was awful at times last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The transfer window looks a lot better when you understand that if we had bought Mykhitarian Suarez would be in an Arsenal shirt practicing his fourth placed celebration right now to cover the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

As things stand currently, best we can hope for is a top 10 finish & Rodgers will likely be out of a job IMO.

Well come sixth at the moment as it stands i think, if he wants to keep his job, in his second of a 3 year contract isint it? Hell bring in first team players now. Could see him getting his marching orders next season if we dont get 4th or be near it. Need to be at min ~6 points withing 4th by the end kf the season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement