Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Mr Alan wrote: »
    As things stand currently, best we can hope for is a top 10 finish & Rodgers will likely be out of a job IMO.

I don't see FSG sacking Rodgers unless Liverpool finish in the bottom 6 teams in my opinion.

If Liverpool finish fifth this season, it will be a successful season. I think people are getting carried away with themselves if they honestly believe we should finish top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ugh this place is such doom and gloom.

3 weeks to go plenty of time to do deals. We have money we bidded over 20m for MK and Costa but they turned us down what more can the club do. Scream about Eriksen, Alderwerield, Medel whoever all you want, we have a good scouting system its seems and if they dont think they are suitable thats good enough for me.

Too many people playing football manager.

Just wait till the 2nd September if there is no decent signings everyone will be bitterly disappointed and the tide will finally have turned on FSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gafferino wrote: »
    Missed the match yesterday how was Sturridge?

Came on at half time, to his own surprise apparently. Looked good, quick movement, direct. Liverpool were much more likely to score in the second half (Coutinho moved central and Ibe also came on for Downing). Hopefully he can play at least as long against Stoke.

The U21s League is back tomorrow - LFC play Soton at home. 2pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

3 weeks is not plenty of time to bring in a couple of quality players into our starting line up. It's **** all time. And they'll have missed the first 3 games of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

shamrock55 wrote: »
    There is no way we are gonna finish 4th with the squad we have now and thats with a all fireing luis suarez who i think will be gone in jan anyway or maybe before anyone who thinks we will is living in cload cukoo land!! The club has yet again badly failed the fans with a serious lack of quality signings so far anyway

This is the point we should all be worried about, look at some of the signings that have come in from other teams (all around the "value" 8-12m mark)
    • Medel
    • Fer
    • Wanyama
    • Van Wolfswinkel
    • Lovren
    • Bony

Each one of those would have improved the squad and in some cases the first 11. There are 3 weeks left in the window and I am seriously concerned when I hear Rodgers saying there is no movement in the market.

When I hear FSG saying they want value from transfers, I am worried that they aren't even looking because it is out there!

3 weeks is not plenty of time to bring in a couple of quality players into our starting line up. It's **** all time. And they'll have missed the first 3 games of the season.

A transfer deal can be done in a matter of hours once all sides agree.

You mentioned its a fallacy to suggest there is a shortage of quality players out there. Well tell me this, where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Bony? Fer? Van Wolfswinkel?

None of those would be an Upgrade for me. What we need are Starting 11 Material, not more Squad Players.

Bony wouldn't Start ahead of Sturridge.

Van Wolfswinkel would only be ahead of Borini for CF Position.

The only one up for Debate there is Fer. He has some Qualities ahead of Lucas, but you could say the same in Reverse. To have a Definite Upgrade, we need someone of Kondogbia's Quality.

I was out on Vacation, so I missed the Game. But if what I've read and what I've seen of the Valerenga Game holds True, then we're going to have alot of Trouble, if the Lucas-Gerrard Partnership will be the Mainstays of this coming Campaign.

We simply have no Energy in the Middle.

Pedalstool wrote: »
    A transfer deal can be done in a matter of hours once all sides agree.

You're actually dillusional.

How so? Have you not watched transfers happen on the final day of the window?

There are a lot of examples.

• Advertisement

No your dillusional, hes talking sense. Matter of hours - Andy Carroll anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Try harder.

There's truth in there. Everyone moaning about not signing quality, the club has gone after targets and lost out to more attractive clubs. Fans are going to have to accept that little fact. We are struggling to hold into our best players, never mind attracting then.

rob316 wrote: »

Ah jasus of all the examples to pick! Berbatov is a less traumatic one.

You're actually highlighting a reason why transfers like that are a horrendous idea.

If we're conducting business like that toward the end of the window Rodgers/Ayre & all involved should be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Using one of the worst transfer deals in history isn't a great start to be honest ;)

All that shows is making the deal quickly means you regret it later

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

At the game yesterday we were treated to the biggest d ickhea d supporter ive ever come across at any form of sport.
    Big mouthy Celtic fan, geered every Liverpool player all game long, stood up with arms waving into Pool fans faces behind him every time Pool had a missed chance,poor pass etc the list goes on and on for this idiot.
    It was very noticeable the extra venom he had towards the English players.
    When celtic scored he took off his shirt and waved it along with his clenched fists and mr angry face in the faces of Pool fans sitting along the row behind him,the abuse he was spouting was utterly classless.
    He was actually scaring the children in the general area and not a single member of security to be seen,a lady behind us said she reported him to security down near the toilets below us but nobody came to even take a look, probably too many steps to climb for them :rolleyes:
    My 10 year old son asked "Dad how can anyone be so stupid".
    We all know you get them everywhere but this guy was in a different league altogether,he took the term obnoxious to a total new level.
    Ive been to many stadiums for footie,rugby,GAA over the years saw plenty of idiots in action but never did i experience anything close to this guy.
    When asked to take it easy and relax by some people he totally blanked them.

As bad as he was we werent going to let him spoil our day, the atmosphere was great throughout and we had a great day, better atmosphere than Anfield last Saturday actually.

• Advertisement

You're actually highlighting a reason why transfers like that are a horrendous idea.

If we're conducting business like that toward the end of the window Rodgers/Ayre & all involved should be sacked.

Cole, Felliani, Van Der Varrt, Berba, Rooney, Tevez/Masch, Arshavin all deadline day deals.

The only person on this forum who I believe is delusional, absolutely delusional, is you.

I was merely highlighting you could do a deal in hours but if you want to pick holes in my point I raise you a Van Der Vaart to Spurs, Luis Suarez, Craig Bellamy.

I could go on, my point is the club might not sign anyone decent and I will firmly go to town on FSG on the 2nd September if that is the case. But the call someone delusional because they dont subscribe to your opinion that no-one will be signed is laughable. Just wait, keep the toys in the pram.

mike65 wrote: »
    Cole, Felliani, Van Der Varrt, Berba, Rooney, Tevez/Masch, Arshavin all deadline day deals.

Deadline day deals which had considerable ground work already laid prior to concluding the deal on the last day (except VDV)

Look, we'll just see, maybe we've a couple of quality signings on the way in & we're just really good at keeping em quiet

Of the players linked to us in the course of this window, only one in my opinion would be regarded as a definite improvement. Mkhitaryan. The proof is that he joined Dortmund.

Mentioning players who have gone on to join Norwich and Swansea simply doesn't stack up form me. While those players may have improved the squad, I'm not sure any of them are better than players currently in the first 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Look, we'll just see, maybe we've a couple of quality signings on the way in & we're just really good at keeping em quiet

I really really hope this is what is happening.

It's probably not.

Deadline day deals which had considerable ground work already laid prior to concluding the deal on the last day (except VDV)

Any what makes you think we have no considerable ground work done, are you ITK? Just cause Barrett, Smith,the Liverpool Echo and every rag around isnt talking doesnt mean anything is been done.

Of the players linked to us in the course of this window, only one in my opinion would be regarded as a definite improvement. Mkhitaryan. The proof is that he joined Dortmund.

Mentioning players who have gone on to join Norwich and Swansea simply doesn't stack up form me. While those players may have improved the squad, I'm not sure any of them are better than players currently in the first 11.

Are you implying that there is no players who we could sign who would improve our starting 11? Seriously? None?! In world football?! Not one?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

None of those would be an Upgrade for me. What we need are Starting 11 Material, not more Squad Players.

Bony wouldn't Start ahead of Sturridge.

Van Wolfswinkel would only be ahead of Borini for CF Position.

The only one up for Debate there is Fer. He has some Qualities ahead of Lucas, but you could say the same in Reverse. To have a Definite Upgrade, we need someone of Kondogbia's Quality.

I was out on Vacation, so I missed the Game. But if what I've read and what I've seen of the Valerenga Game holds True, then we're going to have alot of Trouble, if the Lucas-Gerrard Partnership will be the Mainstays of this coming Campaign.

We simply have no Energy in the Middle.

I'll put my neck on the block here and say he would and should. Thats not to say Sturridge shouldn't play, just that Bony if you'd signed him should have been your number one striker. The guy is quality and an absolute bargain at £12m. He is going to eat up the Premiership this year, his style of play is made for it, and Swansea will probably end up doubling their money on him. Bony is a perfect example of a bet to nothing; you'd never lose any of what you paid for him even if he didn't work out.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It is possible to do a deal in a day I'm sure, but why wait until that point? All the talk earlier in the summer was of getting or business done early, and while it seems we did for the mst part, these weren't the quality of players that we were hoping for or promised. Obviously plan A doesn't always work out, but surely some of the players that were in mind should have been willing to come here?

Either the wrong level of players were targeted (wrong as in too good to move to us) or money isn't as available as previously stated. I think I have said previously that things could go well for us despite failing to improve our starting XI significantly, but it could also easily backfire. Either way, despite the worries I have, I'm glad the season starts properly next weekend.

Any what makes you think we have no considerable ground work done, are you ITK? Just cause Barrett, Smith,the Liverpool Echo and every rag around isnt talking doesnt mean anything is been done.

Our club is incapable of keeping anything substantial quiet & Rodgers himself said there was nothing even close.

This should be in the general transfer thread as no club is named but - what the hell
    Ajax's director of football Marc Overmars declined to name the interested party, but confirmed talks are ongoing.

"We have received an offer," Overmars told De Telegraaf. "We won't give any names as we are still in talks.

"But, just like with Norwich City earlier, I expect we can work out a deal with this club."

edit De Telegraaf do note Spartak Moscow in the article.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/ajax/21800347/__Bod_Spartak_op_Alderweireld__.html

Our club is incapable of keeping anything substantial quiet & Rodgers himself said there was nothing even close.

Wow manager says nothing is close on the transfer front shocker.
    You take what Rodgers says to suit your point too, you have intimated as much before that anything he says is not to be believed.

I would argue the point that we couldnt keep anything quiet with the transfer of mignolet. Everyone said Begovic was our man and even he did himself then before you knew it Mignolet was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Apparantly Costa signed a new deal for Atletico.

Ffs!

Wow manager says nothing is close on the transfer front shocker.
    You take what Rodgers says to suit your point too, you have intimated as much before that anything he says is not to be believed.

I would argue the point that we couldnt keep anything quiet with the transfer of mignolet. Everyone said Begovic was our man and even he did himself then before you knew it Mignolet was done.

Mignolet wasn't out of the blue? It was being reported for a while before it happened?! :confused:

Anyway, some people here are still clearly kidding themselves

• Advertisement

Are you implying that there is no players who we could sign who would improve our starting 11? Seriously? None?! In world football?! Not one?!

There are many players out there who could come in and improve us. Unfortunately, most of those are playing in the Champions League with their current teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Vicxas wrote: »
    Apparantly Costa signed a new deal for Atletico.

Ffs!

I think Costa played us to get an improved contract from Atletico.

Can't blame him I suppose.

There are many players out there who could come in and improve us. Unfortunately, most of those are playing in the Champions League with their current teams.

Re-read my post please.

Are you saying there's no players, who we could actually sign, who could improve our starting 11....is that what you're saying, yes or no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Dcully wrote: »
    At the game yesterday we were treated to the biggest d ickhea d supporter ive ever come across at any form of sport.
    Big mouthy Celtic fan, geered every Liverpool player all game long, stood up with arms waving into Pool fans faces behind him every time Pool had a missed chance,poor pass etc the list goes on and on for this idiot.
    It was very noticeable the extra venom he had towards the English players.
    When celtic scored he took off his shirt and waved it along with his clenched fists and mr angry face in the faces of Pool fans sitting along the row behind him,the abuse he was spouting was utterly classless.
    He was actually scaring the children in the general area and not a single member of security to be seen,a lady behind us said she reported him to security down near the toilets below us but nobody came to even take a look, probably too many steps to climb for them :rolleyes:
    My 10 year old son asked "Dad how can anyone be so stupid".
    We all know you get them everywhere but this guy was in a different league altogether,he took the term obnoxious to a total new level.
    Ive been to many stadiums for footie,rugby,GAA over the years saw plenty of idiots in action but never did i experience anything close to this guy.
    When asked to take it easy and relax by some people he totally blanked them.

As bad as he was we werent going to let him spoil our day, the atmosphere was great throughout and we had a great day, better atmosphere than Anfield last Saturday actually.

Obviously a disturbed individual. Celtic nearly always have a few English players in their first team, although they've sold Hooper and Wilson lately. Did this guy hurl abuse at Fraser Forster for example? Probably not the full shilling is all that was up with him.

I was at a Leinster Football Final a few years back and a Dublin supporter started shouting abuse at us in an extremely aggressive fashion when leaving the ground, I think he was coked up or on something. He was only one of about 60000 Dublin fans who were there on the day.

Re-read my post please.

Are you saying there's no players, who we could actually sign, who could improve our starting 11....is that what you're saying, yes or no?

Well first of all who is in our starting 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Getting away from the doom and gloom.

Goal line tech is getting used for the first time today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Well first of all who is in our starting 11?

Bar Agger & maybe Sturridge (if he`s fit to start) yesterdays team was going to be the one to take on Stoke next Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Surprisingly, I don't actually believe that we need to replace Lucas. Someone for Competition, Yes. But outright replace? No. I think he is a Good Player. It's just that, he has been tasked with the unenviable job of Plugging Holes in a Very Leaky Ship. I think even the Best DMs in the World, would have a Problem playing as Lucas has.

Disclaimer: Before I get Burned for this, I'll have you know that I love Gerrard, and he's the Reason why I supported Liverpool.

Like it or not, Gerrard is the Center of Liverpool. As long as we're going to Accommodate him, then that's where will our Fortunes lie. For the Good or for the Bad.

If a Team gives Gerrard some Space, then we'll simply Batter them. If not, then you'll see a Performance eerily similar to what happened between us and Celtic.

The Reason for this, is that we tend to Compensate for Gerrard as a Team. But therein lies Complications, as anyone who had a Bad Injury would know. Like an Injury, if you have one, then you are force to use your other Parts to take off Pressure from the Injured one. But doing so, Damages them in the end.

And that's so Symptomatic of what we are as a Team. We scramble in Defense, thereby blunting our Attack.

To accommodate a Gerrard, we'll need a World Class DM sitting in front of a World Class Defence. Both of which, we currently don't have.

So the Key to our Season will be BR's Balls. If he has the Balls to Drop or Sub Gerrard in a Game against a very determined Midfield.

If we have Started against Celtic with this Lineup, I bet it would have a far different outcome.

Lucas---Allen
    Hendo
    Aspas--Sturridge--Coutinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Sakho rumours doing the rounds again today. Havent really see him play much. What do people think?

If Downing is on the way out SURELY we have a winger/inside foward type lined up to take his place. As good as Ibe and sterling look, we cannot rely on an 18 and 17 year old to fill the firat team position on a weekly basis!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

**** me, that match thread is one big cringe fest from start to finish. Spastics galore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    **** me, that match thread is one big cringe fest from start to finish. Spastics galore.

Even Hibs fans getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Re-read my post please.

Your question was answered perfectly obviously there is players that would improve us its just the lack of cl football makes it difficult to attract said players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

These threads have been in full meltdown for 2 months now.

Getting harder and harder to read.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Can someone give me a list of who people used to be. Like does that lad Melion still post here? Awful messers changing yer names.

Just heads up, you might get the T&C rule book thrown at you for calling people by their former username.. even if they link their actual name in their profile and posting style is damn obvious in one or two cases. So be a tad weary ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Weird, yeah, nevermind that request, I just wondered what happened to some posters who might actually still be around.

• Advertisement

Your question was answered perfectly obviously there is players that would improve us its just the lack of cl football makes it difficult to attract said players.

Ugh. Ok, clearly you're unable to understand what I was quite clear in asking, so I'll ask again....slower....

Do you/your ilk think that there is any players in world football, WHO WE COULD GET, who would improve our starting 11

If the answer is no, you're insane
    If the answer is yes, then the club is not doing what it should be doing in this window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If the answer is yes, then the club is not doing what it should be doing in this window

yet. Everyone would like to have done more business by now but I wish people would stop throwing their toys out of the pram like absolute babies. Everyone knows we haven't improved our first XI significantly, including Rodgers. He has said himself that he wants to add players. There's three weeks left.

joe123 wrote: »
    Sakho rumours doing the rounds again today. Havent really see him play much. What do people think?

He'd strengthen us greatly and can play LB and CB. Probably the most talented CB we've been linked with all summer, and we've been linked a few times.

Signing him would make a meh transfer window so far into a very good one. Add a CAM/LWF, it'll be an excellent one. Even if we missed out on first target in that area.

Ugh. Ok, clearly you're unable to understand what I was quite clear in asking, so I'll ask again....slower....

Do you/your ilk think that there is any players in world football, WHO WE COULD GET, who would improve our starting 11

If the answer is no, you're insane

Your question was in response to me and it in itself was out of context as to what I had actually said.

I think you accept the fact that it is difficult to attract players who are currently playing Champions League football. So are there players out there playing in South America who could improve our first team? I guess that's what your getting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Seeing as we seem to be short of a left sided attacking player which would allow courtino to play off the striker with Gerard and Lucas behind or any variation of our midfielders, why not try downing on the left as he has pace and a strong left boot or has this been tried before?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement