Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Pedalstool wrote: »
    Given his determination to leave and get playing time before the World Cup, this seems a no brainer. The fact he could cover left back when called upon is an obvious bonus also.

Given Aggers injury record, a left sided CB is a logical move.

I think he might be available reasonably cheaply also.

Of the CB's linked to us this season, where would you place him?

Discounting whether the players normally play on the right or left side of the centre back backs and just going on ability, potential, and how they have played in recent seasons etc.

Sakho would be, imho, head and shoulders above every other centre back we have been linked to so far this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

You're like a broken record Alan "delusion" this "head in the sand" that, why are you so obsessed with our mental state? You seemingly want club to shoot for the moon with signings but god help if one of us dare to hope, then we're lambasted as being delusional and told any improvements we thought we saw were imagined, we have a ****e manager, no champs league and will never be wanted by type of top players we need. So which is it are we the ugly red headed stepchild or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Ugh. Ok, clearly you're unable to understand what I was quite clear in asking, so I'll ask again....slower....

Do you/your ilk think that there is any players in world football, WHO WE COULD GET, who would improve our starting 11

If the answer is no, you're insane
    If the answer is yes, then the club is not doing what it should be doing in this window

I made it clear already but just for you OBVIOUSLY Yes there is players we could get who would improve us but cl situation makes it difficult!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Spurs seem to be doing alright in attracting players without Champions League. At this stage I'm starting to think that there's a deliberate attempt at the club to lower expectations as to the level of player we should be signing. With the money that has come in for the sales of Carroll, Spearing and Shelvey and the rumoured Downing sale, we have actually made money in the transfer market.

It's easy to link yourself to players and hold up your hands and blame the lack of CL football on not being able to spend money but when we're not in for the likes of Soldado who would improve the first 11, you have to wonder if there really is any cash there to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I made it clear already but just for you OBVIOUSLY Yes there is players we could get who would improve us but cl situation makes it difficult!

In fairness Spurs haven't had any trouble signing decent players without CL footbal

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

One minute Rodgers is a liar, who's comments can't be taken at face value.. or words to that effect.

The next minute take his comments as gospel.

Errr...

In my experience the person who asks for a yes or no answer in a broad discussion is usually missing the point, or in some sort of denial.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    In fairness Spurs haven't had any trouble signing decent players without CL footbal

Having someone as experienced as Baldini who knows who to really sell a club and thus clinch a deal helps. Money tells half the story in regards to us I feel.

Fair point but excluding soldado who they badly need are the others a serious step up time will tell I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think it's telling that Henry finally turned up at a game this week on the back of coming out against Suarez. He's nowhere to be seen for months, and then suddenly plays the 'Billy big balls' card and he's out to milk it all, wandering around and soaking up the adulation. Lets see if he goes back into hiding in the run up the transfer window closing because as it stands now, he doesn't show any intent to start spending the money that the squad needs spent on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

im beginning to think maybe we pulled out of signing Costa after deciding to keep Suarez
    we so far have spent very little money
    we definetly need some quality signings because Spurs & Arsenal are not that strong this season & this could be our best year to get back into the top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think it's telling that Henry finally turned up at a game this week on the back of coming out against Suarez. He's nowhere to be seen for months, and then suddenly plays the 'Billy big balls' card and he's out to milk it all, wandering around and soaking up the adulation. Lets see if he goes back into hiding in the run up the transfer window closing because as it stands now, he doesn't show any intent to start spending the money that the squad needs spent on it.

I don't know if this is true, fsg spent over a 100 million their first year and something like 50 million last year, maybe he's just been a tad more reserved with the money - once bitten twice shy and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

In fairness Spurs have either qualified or nearly qualified for the CL for the last 4 seasons so both the spurs board and the players they are Targeting are more willing to take that leap of faith that that this will be the signing that pushes them over the line. If we challenge for fourth over the next year or two to the point we look a good bet, those type of players will be more willing to come to us and FSG will be more open to paying over the odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Change the record ffs Alan, can no-one have a smidge of optimism without being 'dillusional' ?

Bullsh1t.

He was at a number of games last season, especially towards the end of the season and he was in and out of the club's offices in the city centre.

The him not going to any games myth was put to bed long before the season ended. He was not a weekly attender of games or even every month over the course of a season, but I saw him with my own eyes in Liverpool a number of times since January, and he certainly was at Anfield in plain view a number of times during that period as well.

Also the game against Celtic was not even his first friendly game this summer as he has been present at the last three friendlies (am including the testimonial as a friendly).

MD1990 wrote: »
    im beginning to think maybe we pulled out of signing Costa after deciding to keep Suarez
    we so far have spent very little money
    we definetly need some quality signings because Spurs & Arsenal are not that strong this season & this could be our best year to get back into the top 4

Spurs are not that strong? They were stronger than us before they made four very good summer signings.

Arsenal are still a good team, but unlike Spurs have stood still so far this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Jonathan Northcroft ‏@JNorthcroft 45m
    Predictions: 1. Chelsea 2. City 3. MUFC 4. Arsenal 5. Spurs 6. Liverpool 7. Swansea 8. Everton 9. Southampton 10. WBA
    Jonathan Northcroft ‏@JNorthcroft 45m
    Predictions: 11. Norwich 12. NUFC 13. W Ham 14. Fulham 15. Villa 16. Cardiff 17. Stoke 18. Sunderland 19. Hull 20. Palace

I think that's a sensible estimation of where teams will finish this season.

Liverpool's Ryan McLaughlin puts club before Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland have suffered a blow after Liverpool youngster Ryan McLaughlin told Michael O'Neill that he doesn't want to be considered for international duty at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23655967

Good lad.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Spurs are not that strong? They were stronger than us before they made four very good summer signings.

Arsenal are still a good team, but unlike Spurs have stood still so far this summer.
    Spurs won't have Bale thats 24 points gone from last season
    Dembele,Paulinho & Capoune are very good CM but don't assist & score regulary
    ther weak on the wings too with only really Lennon who is performing well
    don't know how Chadli will do
    but Bale will be a huge loss for them as Spurs struggle to break down teams
    the PL is as weak as its been in years so we need to sign some quality players to get back into the top 4

• Advertisement

Fair point but excluding soldado who they badly need are the others a serious step up time will tell I guess.

All four players bought by Spurs are good enough to go straight into their first team. Capoue and Paulinho are certainly top four quality signings in my eyes. Soldado is a very good signing, and the weakest of their signings, Chadli, would still be an upgrade on any of their wide options save for Bale.

The one area where I think Spurs do need some reinforcing is in defence, and if they really are moving for Alderweireld, then it would seem they will be bringing in some quality there too. Alderweireld would be a very smart buy for them as anyone who watched Ajax in recent years will tell you exactly how good a CB pairing Alderweireld and Vertonghen were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/rodgers-demands-suarez-apology-603298.html

Rodgers expects Suarez to apologise. Bit in there too about Henry being unhappy with the FPP situation. I reckon he knows FSG's only hope of making us a success is if that is strongly enforced.

Of course he knows. Liverpool, Arsenal and United are all desperately hoping it is rigorously enforced as it suits them in particular.

I'd be interested in a straw poll of where posters believe Liverpool will finish this season?

For me, 6th is where we should be finishing taking everything into consideration and barring any collapse from teams ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This time last season I was of the opinion that there was 5 teams with better squads than ours in the league.

Unfortunately, as things stand, that is still very much the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

the PL is as weak as its been in years so we need to sign some quality players to get back into the top 4

Bale is still a spurs player and could very likely remain one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I'd be interested in a straw poll of where posters believe Liverpool will finish this season?

For me, 6th is where we should be finishing taking everything into consideration and barring any collapse from teams ahead of us.

6th with current squad.

• Advertisement

6th at best on current squad. I don't think that will be good enough for Rodgers to save his job.

Or, here's a mad idea. We could sign some genuine quality and actually really go for 4th this season.

gafferino wrote: »
    Bale is still a spurs player and could very likely remain one.
    he's gone
    when do Real not get a player they badly want
    Spurs also are atm very weak at the back & lack creativity
    there are still ahead of us but there are being overated on this site imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Sounds cool, lets wait until the end of the window.

Currently I have no idea, 2 big signings in the 1 XI and we could be fighting for top 4, or we could be fighting it out with the likes of Everton, Swansea, Westbrom and Southampton.

All four players bought by Spurs are good enough to go straight into their first team. Capoue and Paulinho are certainly top four quality signings in my eyes. Soldado is a very good signing, and the weakest of their signings, Chadli, would still be an upgrade on any of their wide options save for Bale.

The one area where I think Spurs do need some reinforcing is in defence, and if they really are moving for Alderweireld, then it would seem they will be bringing in some quality there too. Alderweireld would be a very smart buy for them as anyone who watched Ajax in recent years will tell you exactly how good a CB pairing Alderweireld and Vertonghen were.

Alderweireld is a rumor he had signed for us earlier in the summer, The pl is a big step up for those players so we will have to wait and see. If bale leaves then I can't say I feel they are any better

rarnes1 wrote: »
    6th at best on current squad. I don't think that will be good enough for Rodgers to save his job.

Or, here's a mad idea. We could sign some genuine quality and actually really go for 4th this season.

I don't see FSG sacking Rodgers barring a really poor season. Nor do I think that would be a good idea.

• Advertisement

billy2012 wrote: »
    Sounds cool, lets wait until the end of the window.

Currently I have no idea, 2 big signings in the 1 XI and we could be fighting for top 4, or we could be fighting it out with the likes of Everton, Swansea, Westbrom and Southampton.

I think it would take more than 2 big signings to push ahead of Spurs and Arsenal.

And you think if Spurs sell Bale that AVB won't look to bring in some more quality?

And that is only assuming that Bale actually leaves as there is a lot of talk about that move not happening now.

If you think the rest of the current Spurs squad minus Bale is somehow equal to or weaker than our current squad, then I will have to disagree strongly with you on that.

That midfield of their's (with all it's options and back ups) is going to cause problems for a hell of a lot of teams this season imo, and will be a massive boost for the attackers in front of it and the defenders behind it.

AVB is also being clever in who he is targetting. Not only is he targetting players of good to high quality, he seems to be trying to bring in players who have some experience of already having had played with some of the current Spurs squad so there will be a degree of familiarity there for the new guys.

Chadli has two in the Spurs first team that he has played with before. If Alderweirld and Eriksen arrive, then those two will have played together for Ajax, but Alderweireld will also have played with Vertonghen, Dembele, and Chadli before, and Eriksen will have Vertonghen as his second familar face at Spurs.

Paulinho has played with Sandro before, and even Capoue has been in the same French squads as Lloris and Kaboul.

Having that kind of familiarity in place for some of their new faces may prove to be the difference between new players hitting the ground running or needing extra time to adapt.

Alderweireld is a rumor he had signed for us earlier in the summer, The pl is a big step up for those players so we will have to wait and see. If bale leaves then I can't say I feel they are any better

So you think Spurs minus Bale currently have a first team and first team squad that our squad and first team are equal to?

Now is certainly the time to be worried and to start asking the hard questions of FSG and Rodgers in my eyes.

Unacceptable to not sign at least two starting quality players before the window closes.

I think it would take more than 2 big signings to push ahead of Spurs and Arsenal.

If Arsenal continue to stand still this summer and we bring in one or two first team level players, then I would be confident of going after Arsenal.

Spurs I would not be as confident of catching, but would still give us a fighting chance of being able to capitalise on any slip ups if we brought in two first team ready players.

So you think Spurs minus Bale currently have a first team and first team squad that our squad and first team are equal to?

I feel they are overrated if they lost bale after Christmas last year we would have prob caught them. They were stronger than us when the season finished right now minus bale they are prob still stronger but have not improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Knex. wrote: »
    Now is certainly the time to be worried and to start asking the hard questions of FSG and Rodgers in my eyes.

Unacceptable to not sign at least two starting quality players before the window closes.

Did Rodgers not say on tour we are still looking to buy players? I have it in my head he did, just after the Micky Ryan deal fell through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

EDIT: wrong thread.

Talk of BM coming in for suarez , could be the ideal solution.

Did Rodgers not say on tour we are still looking to buy players? I have it in my head he did, just after the Micky Ryan deal fell through

He did indeed. Worryingly, however, in his latest press conference he said how difficult it was to find players and that there's nothing to report as of now, although they are still trying.

Didn't fill me with optimism tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Even for his interview for joe.ie he said there was signings coming in

Nice free kick from Eriksen a short while ago - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12ydcu_az-ajax-eriksen_sport

An assist in each of previous two games and now a goal to start the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Vicxas wrote: »
    Even for his interview for joe.ie he said there was signings coming in

I remember him saying something similar last year when Carroll got loaned out...

I feel they are overrated if they lost bale after Christmas last year we would have prob caught them. They were stronger than us when the season finished right now minus bale they are prob still stronger but have not improved.

Well losing Bale is at this point nothing more than talk as it has not happened yet.

Really don't get how you can think they have not improved since the season ended though.

Regardless of whether stays or goes, they are stronger in the striker department than they were when the season ended, and they are stronger in midfield as well.

Bale going is only an if at this point as is their chances of Alderweirld and Eriksen, but the fact that they have brought in quality for the attack and midfield is a sign of a stronger squad for me.

If we had brought in Soldado, and any one of the other three players they have gotten, then I would have regarded us as having strengthened our first team.

I take your point about players needing to settle, but I would sooner be gambling on four players of somewhat proven quality settling than gambling on less proven players both settling and also showing they can perform at a higher level than they have in the past.

Mignolet, Toure, Aspas, and Alberto. With the big if surrounding Suarez.

Soldado, Paulinho, Chadli, and Capoue. With their big if surrounding Bale.

Am struggling to see how our squad is a match for their squad if their squad was stronger last season and their reinforcements look better than our's.

Mignolet is the only player we bought this summer that could go into the Spur's first team and not cause a drop in the team's quality.

Any of Spur's four signings could go into our first team, and not cause a drop in team quality.

Aspas is the only other one of our signings that might match the quality levels of one of theirs, but that will require, imho, Aspas to excel this season and for Chadli not to do likewise.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Nice free kick from Eriksen a short while ago - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12ydcu_az-ajax-eriksen_sport

An assist in each of previous two games and now a goal to start the season.

That must be around three direct frees he has scored in the last month or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Severe underrating of Bale F.C in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Talk of BM coming in for suarez , could be the ideal solution.

BM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

5live wrote: »
    BM?

Big Mickys FC

5live wrote: »
    BM?

Bale Madrid.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    That must be around three direct frees he has scored in the last month or so?

Something like that alight. I know he scored a couple of free kicks in one game during pre-season too. If he can add goals from open play to his game and just improve general consistency, hell of a player he'll become.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement