Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Odds?

He is 4/7 now to stay @ Liverpool.

I had him at 15/8 and 7/4 As far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Re: Suarez having to apologise if he wants to play for Liverpool again....we're aware he doesn't want to play for Liverpool again, right?

But if Kenny had said it...

He'll be gone before the end of the window imo. Feeling very meh about the whole thing.

billy2012 wrote: »
    He is 4/7 now to stay @ Liverpool.

I had him at 15/8 and 7/4 As far as I remember.

He was almost 3/1 to stay not too long ago afaik ( betfair)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Ugh. Ok, clearly you're unable to understand what I was quite clear in asking, so I'll ask again....slower....

Do you/your ilk think that there is any players in world football, WHO WE COULD GET, who would improve our starting 11

If the answer is no, you're insane
    If the answer is yes, then the club is not doing what it should be doing in this window

Haha, talk about your loaded questions??? You remind me of the rigged voting machines in Parks and Recreation that "Sweetum's" had installed in Pawnee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kess73 wrote: »
    Last January getting CL footy for the coming season was not a big deal for him.

In June he felt his family were at risk if he stayed in England.

Then he claimed it was cl footy he wanted.

Then he claimed that London was in fact an attractive destination despite the earlier claim about living in England putting his family at risk.

Next came a claim about it being stated in his contract that he could leave if a £40m bid came in.

Then it changed to if a £40m from a CL team came in.

Then it changed to a verbal comment was made saying he could leave if one of Barca, Real, Bayern, or a big London club came in.

Then it briefly became that his old contract had a clause in it, but his new one did not.

The man just seems to say whatever he wants to be believed as the truth, and his comments last week about how he sees himself as currently defending the name and colour of Liverpool with his actions since June were some of the funniest snippets I heard all year.

Fantastic player, but is just trotting out pretty much the same set of rubbish he did when he was looking to force a move to Ajax. Back then he made claims aboutwhatwas in his contract and then changed it to claims about verbal agreements.

Based on his own media comments and those said by his agent on his behalf, there is very little reason to give the man any benefit of the doubt anymore with regards to anything he says.

Not a chance of me booing him at the ground if he plays in Liverpool colours again, but very little chance of me believing he is an injured party if there is another Evra type incident. He is just another player now, albeit a very highly talented player, one who happens to play for my team, rather than him being an individual that had me viewing him through rose tinted glasses.

Have a feeling that whilst he will get cheered on whilst on the pitch, like any other player would, the depth of feeling towards him simply will never be as great again and it will be noticeable. Just watch the home and travelling support pick new names to receive the larger roars from the stands.

The first point doesn't really count for much as 99% of players would say the same thing with the prospect of having to spend another 4-5 months at the club.

The other stuff is true but it doesn't mean that he wasn't told that he could go if we didn't get CL this season...given the change of management I reckon he would have been promised a lot to stay put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

mormank wrote: »
    Haha, talk about your loaded questions??? You remind me of the rigged voting machines in Parks and Recreation that "Sweetum's" had installed in Pawnee.

"It's just that if I don't win, my Dad will have to move state and take all the jobs with him".

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He was almost 3/1 to stay not too long ago afaik ( betfair)

I also have a small bet on him at 9/4 with Paddys but nothing really worth talking about.

Never on betfair....always hearing great things about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suarez is a psychopath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The first point doesn't really count for much as 99% of players would say the same thing with the prospect of having to spend another 4-5 months at the club.

The other stuff is true but it doesn't mean that he wasn't told that he could go if we didn't get CL this season...given the change of management I reckon he would have been promised a lot to stay put.

You can only go on previous actions and Suarez record is poor he will do and say anything to get what he wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I also have a small bet on him at 9/4 with Paddys but nothing really worth talking about.

Never on betfair....always hearing great things about it.

Get on the exchange man. Paddy power and the likes are ****ing people over for too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

niallo27 wrote: »
    Get on the exchange man. Paddy power and the likes are ****ing people over for too long.

Is betfair good for the footie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Turtyturd wrote: »

Maybe, maybe not.....but a bit odd that it took him a few variations of that truth before he decided that was the verbal promise made to him.

Lets not forget what he claimed was verbally promised to him has also managed to change as the weeks went by. So which verbal promise are we to believe was the one made to him? His latest version?

If his own story about being verbally promised something had remained consistent from the get go, then maybe there would be a greater chance of him telling the truth, but when he keeps changing the details of the verbal promise he is basing his own arguement upon it does become difficult to believe any version of his story.

Rodgers and the club have stuck to one version with regards to the so called clause. Suarez seems to be throwing out version after version in the hope that one take sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I think they played perfectly, I can only see 2 options now either he goes abroad for 40-50 mil or he stays, either way its win win, if he is still here on step 3rd he will say sorry and be back playing after his ban.

Option 1: Who is this abroad team that is going to sepnd 40-50m on him?
    Option 2: He stays and effectively goes on strike (like he has done previously at otherclubs)?

There is an astonishing level of delusion on show here that this entire saga always seems to end up in Liverpools favour, no matetr what happens.

Your best player is demanding a transfer. He is not impressed with Rodgers demands and ultimatums. SSN has just reported that he has dismissed the 'apologise' demand from Rodgers.
    But somehow, its going to end up as a win win.

By removing Arsenal from the possible list of destinations, Henry has in fact removed someone from the bidding process and therefore is depressing the price that the mythical foreign team will pay when they come in and rescue Suarez and pay loads. If Madrid are bidding against no one, why on earth would they pay Liverpools asking price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Someone fancies a bit of Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

klose wrote: »
    Is betfair good for the footie?

I use the exchange not the normal betfair. Ya it's great for football.Way better odds. Good to be able lay teams and cash out if you get nervous.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Someone fancies a bit of Suarez.

Breaking hearts and he never even signed for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Genuine question. Why do pool fans think Suarez wants to leave Liverpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

His family would be safer in the Champions League.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Simple enough answer. At this moment in time, LFC are not good enough for a player of his ability. No point in denying it. At the moment we haven't shown enough ambition about getting back into the CL. We've heard talk, but not signed the proper quality, as of yet, needed to get there.

Suarez would walk into the top teams in the world while we struggle.

• Advertisement

meriwether wrote: »
    Option 1: Who is this abroad team that is going to sepnd 40-50m on him?
    Option 2: He stays and effectively goes on strike (like he has done previously at otherclubs)?

There is an astonishing level of delusion on show here that this entire saga always seems to end up in Liverpools favour, no matetr what happens.

Your best player is demanding a transfer. He is not impressed with Rodgers demands and ultimatums. SSN has just reported that he has dismissed the 'apologise' demand from Rodgers.
    But somehow, its going to end up as a win win.

By removing Arsenal from the possible list of destinations, Henry has in fact removed someone from the bidding process and therefore is depressing the price that the mythical foreign team will pay when they come in and rescue Suarez and pay loads. If Madrid are bidding against no one, why on earth would they pay Liverpools asking price?

Having arsenal bidding for him will not increase his value as interested clubs know Liverpool don't want to sell to a rival.

I would be surprised if he stays and goes on strike as he will have to forfeit his wages, if this does happen he can always be sold in January which is generally a better window to sell in anyway.

I think money is playing a big part. If he was as desperate to leave as he is trying to make out, then he would not be refusing to hand in a transfer request.

Now I do think that CL may play a part, but he would have had that pretty much every season had he stayed at Ajax, and no disrespect meant towards Arsenal, butif he wants to join a team with a decent to good chance of winning that competition then Arsenal would hardly be one of the first names to spring to mind.

I think he may have expected there to be more interest from other clubs in him, clubs with the ability to pay higher wages that the likes of Liverpool or Arsenal. Maybe he thought that when he started to talk back in June about how he needed to leave England for the sake of his family, that the likes of Real, Barca, PSG, or Monaco would be lining up for him. Then when only Arsenal made an official bid, he then dumped the whole "family needs to leave England for their safety" storyline and went into churning out five or six variations of there being "a clause in my contract, no wait it was verbal, no wait it was verbal but different to what I said last week".

So if I were to guess what is motivating him to want a move I would say Money and silverware, but with the split being something like 60/40 or 70/30 in favour of money. Imo of course.

Did Munich replace Gomez?? Did they get someone after failing to get Lewandowski? They ain't been shy when it comes to spending a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Fair enough answers, and as an arsenal fan I think the way he has gone about things has been very disrespectful, have said all along don't think I want a kind of attitude like his at arsenal, just can't see how Liverpool fans would
    Welcome him back now.

Did Munich replace Gomez?? Did they get someone after failing to get Lewandowski? They ain't been shy when it comes to spending a few quid.

Didn't the sensible Guardiola say Thiago would be their only purchase?

Not that football managers tell the truth all the time.

When he came to Liverpool there was a degree of risk as allot of players who are top class in the Dutch league flop in England. He has now proven to himself and the world that he has what it takes to compete at the highest level. He wants and deserves cl football. Rightly Liverpool will only sell on there terms which leaves us in a sticky situation.

• Advertisement

Yawns wrote: »
    Simple enough answer. At this moment in time, LFC are not good enough for a player of his ability. No point in denying it. At the moment we haven't shown enough ambition about getting back into the CL. We've heard talk, but not signed the proper quality, as of yet, needed to get there.

Suarez would walk into the top teams in the world while we struggle.

But yet none of them seem, so far, to be all that bothered about trying to get him. Fantastic player but one that it seems the top tier teams (Bayern, Barca, Real etc) think they can do without or maybe that what they have in the attack positions are as good as Suarez but with less baggage.

I am actually genuinely surprised at the lack of interest in him. But if we take a look at the attacking players that Barca have, that Real have, and that Bayern have, then arguements can be made why he would not simply walk into those teams. Now I personally think he is good enough to excel in any top team on the planet, but I could see clubs thinking that what they have is as good or better.

Would love to see what would happen if one of the mega rich French or Russian clubs got involved. If they came in with big bids, and offered big wages. They, with the exception of Monaco, could offer him CL footy. Would really like to see it happen to see if he then had another excuse on tap.

I think money is playing a big part. If he was as desperate to leave as he is trying to make out, then he would not be refusing to hand in a transfer request.

Now I do think that CL may play a part, but he would have had that pretty much every season had he stayed at Ajax, and no disrespect meant towards Arsenal, butif he wants to join a team with a decent to good chance of winning that competition then Arsenal would hardly be one of the first names to spring to mind.

I think he may have expected there to be more interest from other clubs in him, clubs with the ability to pay higher wages that the likes of Liverpool or Arsenal. Maybe he thought that when he started to talk back in June about how he needed to leave England for the sake of his family, that the likes of Real, Barca, PSG, or Monaco would be lining up for him. Then when only Arsenal made an official bid, he then dumped the whole "family needs to leave England for their safety" storyline and went into churning out five or six variations of there being "a clause in my contract, no wait it was verbal, no wait it was verbal but different to what I said last week".

So if I were to guess what is motivating him to want a move I would say Money and silverware, but with the split being something like 60/40 or 70/30 in favour of money. Imo of course.

Do you know exactly or even roughly how much he would be missing out on if he handed a transfer request in?

I'd imagine on the scale of things that it ain't that much (couple of mil) and if a big club were after him they could easily compensate him with a signing on fee aswell as prob near enough doubling his wages.

I'm not sure if money has that much to do with it and it might be a lack of interest from other clubs as you said.

Its been Suarez bad luck (and ours) that this was the summer when the clubs that wanted a top striker and could afford him have all found other solutions, except Arsenal of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Where Liverpool in the cl when he signed?

Nope, the EL.

• Advertisement

Do you know exactly or even roughly how much he would be missing out on if he handed a transfer request in?

I'd imagine on the scale of things that it ain't that much (couple of mil) and if a big club were after him they could easily compensate him with a signing on fee aswell as prob near enough doubling his wages.

I'm not sure if money has that much to do with it and it might be a lack of interest from other clubs as you said.

Most estimates say it would be a lump sum of roughly £2.5m to £3m, and a few estimates go as high as £4.5m.

There could also be add ons in his new contract stating other monies that could be due to him if the club sold him without having received a transfer request.

And yes the other club could add that figure to the signing on fee, but let's not forget that his signing on fee would be a few million to start with as well, so if the buying club agreed to pay him what we would owe on a loyalty bonus as well as giving him a signing on fee, then that could see the signing on fee be anything from £5m to £10m on top of his new massive wages and on top of the massive transfer fee they would have to pay.

Not every club, even the mega rich ones, might be willing to chuck up to an extra £10m onto the cost of an already expensive transfer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

You'll Never Walk Alone :)

But You Shall Train Alone :D

Now for ya Suarez you'll apologise now ;) :P

mike65 wrote: »
    Its been Suarez bad luck (and ours) that this was the summer when the clubs that wanted a top striker and could afford him have all found other solutions, except Arsenal of course!

Said that last week. But it is telling that in a summer where a high number of top attacking talent was bought and sold that there was very little sniffing around the one guy who was practially whoring himself out through his interviews from South America in early June.

Would not have thought it true of many clubs, but maybe there is some truth in the notion that some clubs may view him as damaged goods/too great a risk, and that Suarez (and his advisors) badly overestimated the number of clubs that would want him.

Indeed, with all those nice charming alternatives Luis has been left on the platform.

Liverpool will play Newcastle Utd on Wednesday at Melwood I'm reading on twitter. Obviously only players not on international duty involved and maybe some of the kids who play on Monday.

Most estimates say it would be a lump sum of roughly £2.5m to £3m, and a few estimates go as high as £4.5m.

There could also be add ons in his new contract stating other monies that could be due to him if the club sold him without having received a transfer request.

And yes the other club could add that figure to the signing on fee, but let's not forget that his signing on fee would be a few million to start with as well, so if the buying club agreed to pay him what we would owe on a loyalty bonus as well as giving him a signing on fee, then that could see the signing on fee be anything from £5m to £10m on top of his new massive wages and on top of the massive transfer fee they would have to pay.

Not every club, even the mega rich ones, might be willing to chuck up to an extra £10m onto the cost of an already expensive transfer.

TBH I didn't actually realize that every player that signed for a new club received a signing on fee. Is this normally a % of the transfer price?

Suarez is just a huge liability, I'm not surprised there isn't clubs queuing up for him at 50M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

5starpool wrote: »
    That's about 6 times we've signed him now at this stage.

We all dream of a team of left full backs,
    Team of left full backs,
    team of left full backs,
    Team of left full backs.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Club is not going forward and isn't going to pay him £200k a week at any point. Staying longer is a waste of his talent.

TBH I didn't actually realize that every player that signed for a new club received a signing on fee. Is this normally a % of the transfer price?

Suarez is just a huge liability, I'm not surprised there isn't clubs queuing up for him at 50M.

Most players in the top leagues would get a signing on fee when they join a new club, would be very unusual for a player not to get one I would imagine and there would also be a signing on fee when a new contract/extension is signed.

The size of the actual fee is something the club and the player agree upon. Don't think it is really related to the size of the transfer fee paid as even players on free transfers can get massive signing on fees, as Joe Cole did with us.

Sometimes it is a way around upsetting the pay structure at a club, sometimes it is a sweetner to tempt the player, and so on.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Club is not going forward and isn't going to pay him £200k a week at any point. Staying longer is a waste of his talent.

Might not have much choice in the matter if no club other than Arsenal want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Might not have much choice in the matter if no club other than Arsenal want him.

Which means it's him that's wasting the talent.

He has the quality to play for any team on the planet. If he'd stop acting like a ****, even for just 1 season, then he'd have suitors out the door.

• Advertisement

Most players in the top leagues would get a signing on fee when they join a new club, would be very unusual for a player not to get one I would imagine and there would also be a signing on fee when a new contract/extension is signed.

The size of the actual fee is something the club and the player agree upon. Don't think it is really related to the size of the transfer fee paid as even players on free transfers can get massive signing on fees, as Joe Cole did with us.

Sometimes it is a way around upsetting the pay structure at a club, sometimes it is a sweetner to tempt the player, and so on.

This is what I normally associated with signing on fees.

Thanks for the lesson :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think it is about silverware to be honest.

Gbear wrote: »

He has the quality to play for any team on the planet. If he'd stop acting like a ****, even for just 1 season, then he'd have suitors out the door.

I think it's just part of who he is TBH, and a part of that makes him the great player he is.

I'm sure if he stays he will see red again at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

How does the move to Arsenal make sense if it's about silverware? Arsenal are almost certain to finish higher in the league than us but it's very unlikely they'll win the league or CL even with him in the team. When it comes to the league cup or FA I doubt they are much of a motivation to him or that Arsenal are much more likely than us to win those competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Crazy amount of talk on the radio and twitter that we have signed Aly Cissokho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Who?

Gbear wrote: »

I am not doubting his talent in the slightest, but if they don't want him it does not matter. Plus if no clubs better than Liverpool (other than Arsenal) want him, then his talent is at the highest point it can get to in relation to the demand for it.

It is up to the player to make himself a more attractive option for better placed clubs than Liverpool, and you called it spot on as to how he could make that happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Going to Arsenal would help that how :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

we seemed to have signed him every day since June

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I am not doubting his talent in the slightest, but if they don't want him it does not matter. Plus if no clubs better than Liverpool (other than Arsenal) want him, then his talent is at the highest point it can get to in relation to the demand for it.

It is up to the player to make himself a more attractive option for better placed clubs than Liverpool, and you called it spot on as to how he could make that happen.

I think if he stays and makes some half-hearted attempt of an 'apology', there will be a very strong market for a proven goalscorer in the Jan sales when he isnt cuptied in CL or EL.

Even Luis should be able to behave for six months, with european football and a big payday in prospect for him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement