Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I can see it now. Carroll gets 30 goals this season, 24 of which come from headers at the end of a Downing cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

RustySpoon wrote: »
    That left back looks VERY left footed from that video.

* obviously small sample size of that video

Was he signed as a left back or left wing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

spockety wrote: »
    I can see it now. Carroll gets 30 goals this season, 24 of which come from headers at the end of a Downing cross.

Would that be a big slap in the face.....

I think so.

So, whos downing replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

More outs than ins at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

So Downing and Carroll end up with Big Sam and Pulis signed Adam.

Would make you wonder what kind of a team Comolli/Kenny were trying to build.

Trying to get those players to link with the likes of Suarez was madness.

djPSB wrote: »

I don't think it works like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

spockety wrote: »

Said the same thing to my mate in work this morning. It'd be maddening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Knex. wrote: »
    Tony Barrett must really be out of the loop at the moment. He's been dreadful recently.

True that, two years ago you'd have bet your house on his info.
    noodler wrote: »
    More outs than ins at this stage?

First Team Squad out

Downing (subject to T&Cs)
    Carroll
    Spearing
    Shelvey
    Reina (loan to sell)
    Robinson (loan)
    Ngoo (loan)
    Coady (loan)

First team squad in

Toure
    Mignolet
    Aspas
    Alberto

mike65 wrote: »

First Team Squad out

Carroll
    Spearing
    Shelvey
    Reina (loan to sell)
    Robinson (loan)
    Ngoo (loan)
    Coady (loan)

First team squad in

Toure
    Mignolet
    Aspas
    Alberto

Could have kept Reina and Downing imo but whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Out of the players that have left, I can't think of a single exit I disagree with.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

First Team Squad out

Carroll
    Spearing
    Shelvey
    Reina (loan to sell)
    Robinson (loan)
    Ngoo (loan)
    Coady (loan)

First team squad in

Toure
    Mignolet
    Aspas
    Alberto

Cant argue too much with the outs
    The ins are a little light tho considering how far we were from top 4 last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vicxas wrote: »
    So, whos downing replacement?

That's what I am wondering, they must be confident about a signing if they are letting him go now, but maybe West Ham got impatient and we had to make a call - sell now, or potentially lose a buyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Need. More. Ins.

Crikey - CHAD Henderson better look out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

djPSB wrote: »

Tells you how much Kenny was out of touch with the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

rob316 wrote: »
    Tells you how much Kenny was out of touch with the game.

Two finals, one cup. He wasn't THAT out of touch with the game on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sad to see Stewy D go...I will always remember him tearing dowen the left wing, checking inside, and passing the ball back to Enrique.

Dickerty wrote: »
    That's what I am wondering, they must be confident about a signing if they are letting him go now, but maybe West Ham got impatient and we had to make a call - sell now, or potentially lose a buyer.

So unless we've someone lined up, we have the following

Sturridge --- Suarez (If he ever comes back)
    Aspas?

Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

With the sale of Downing, surely we have someone lined up that will go straight into the first team.

Im happy the sale, ONLY if we bring in someone. Ibe and Sterling look like they will be excellent players, but cannot be relied upon yet.

• Advertisement

Aspas or Ibe/Sterling will fill in the right flank for the first game. Then we wait and see.

We'll have some idea with the Melwood friendly against Newcastle on Wednesday (I think it is)

I don't think we should be selling Downing. He has played far better than a lot of people in here make out who appear blinded by there dislike of the player.

Aspas or Ibe/Sterling will fill in the right flank for the first game. Then we wait and see.

We'll have some idea with the Melwood friendly against Newcastle on Wednesday (I think it is)

But won't most players be away with their countries?

Aspas, Sturridge and Coutinho front 3 for this w/e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

First Team Squad out

Downing (subject to T&Cs) - 6m
    Carroll - 18m
    Spearing - 1.75m
    Shelvey - 5m
    Reina (loan to sell) - 2m not sure?
    Robinson (loan)
    Ngoo (loan)
    Coady (loan)

First team squad in

Toure
    Mignolet -9m
    Aspas - 7m
    Alberto - 6.8m

so total spent - 22.8m
    total recieved - 32.75m

so disapointing with the new tv money that we are not making any big signings

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, getting rid of Downing means that someone else that can play in wide areas must be brought in, and I don't mean that young lad Atsu. We have enough young promising wingers, and would like someone who doesn't need to develop into the role. Given how much attacking Johnson does as well, someone who isn't afraid to track back and help out when needed would be good.

Hopefully West Ham don't do to us next season what we did to them last season with 3 former players scoring against their former team.

Dickerty,

Well all the players mentioned will be available. Liverpool have fewer internationals these days!

This weeks games - Johnson/Gerrard/Mignolet/Suarez/Assaidi is the list I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't think we should be selling Downing. He has played far better than a lot of people in here make out who appear blinded by there dislike of the player.
    I think most people would accept that he's not good enough to start. If that's the case, would you rather use him as backup/rotation - or give Ibe and Sterling a chance instead?

I still think we will bring in one big name attacker before the window closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Potential top left players who can score goals??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Ince???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Stewart Downing is off

BRdSveRCAAAjZT0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

billy2012 wrote: »
    top left

:confused:

Are you a culchie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Ryan McLaughlin again has rejected a senior call up from Northern Ireland and Michael O'Neill confirmed it today. I think it does nothing for a young lads development getting a call up into this joke of a set-up at the moment. The IFA are too interested in giving débuts to young, inexperienced men for the sole purpose of not allowing them to 'defect' to the Republic of Ireland. I think he is one of the few Belfast guys at his age that has a chance of making it and he's been a solid performer for a number of years. He's made the right call here IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

billy2012 wrote: »
    Potential top left players who can score goals??

+ would want to come to us and is available this late in the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Sad to see Stewy D go...I will always remember him tearing dowen the left wing, checking inside, and passing the ball back to Enrique.

or tearing down the right wing, cutting inside, lining up a thunderbolt shot and.....dragging/slicing it wide.

Seems like a decent bloke, solid pro etc. - will he get in the starting XI ahead of Jarvis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

MD1990 wrote: »
    so total spent - 22.8m
    total recieved - 32.75m

so disapointing with the new tv money that we are not making any big signings
    even with the rumoured £21m double signing of Alderweireld and Eriksen it's still only a 10 or 11m net spend which is what Rafa had to deal with and our squad thinned out with Ngog, Voronin, El Zhar, Degen etc providing first team cover which was ridiculous. I know the double Ajax signing has gone completely cold the last month or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i was no supporter of Downing staying, but there is no point in getting rid of him unless more attacking players are being brought in.

it's as simple as that.

it would actually be irresponsible, as we'd be relying far too heavily on Sterling and Ibe making a consistent impact.

Dickerty,

Well all the players mentioned will be available. Liverpool have fewer internationals these days!

Allen, Agger, Skrtel as well I think? Unless the latter excluded due to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/142356-br-we-re-working-hard-on-deals

Looks like there will be more coming in, and Rodgers see's Coutinho's role for the coming season as a No.10

fingers crossed!!

Cartman78 wrote: »
    or tearing down the right wing, cutting inside, lining up a thunderbolt shot and.....dragging/slicing it wide.

Seems like a decent bloke, solid pro etc. - will he get in the starting XI ahead of Jarvis?

Opposite wing to Jarvis, two proper wingers for Big Andy...

Dickerty wrote: »
    Allen, Agger, Skrtel as well I think? Unless the latter excluded due to injury.

Forgot about Allen and Skrtel (joke in there somewhere) Agger is injured.

So with Downing gone, there HAS to be someone else coming in....

Right?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ryan McLaughlin again has rejected a senior call up from Northern Ireland and Michael O'Neill confirmed it today. I think it does nothing for a young lads development getting a call up into this joke of a set-up at the moment. The IFA are too interested in giving débuts to young, inexperienced men for the sole purpose of not allowing them to 'defect' to the Republic of Ireland. I think he is one of the few Belfast guys at his age that has a chance of making it and he's been a solid performer for a number of years. He's made the right call here IMO.

He has looked excellent at u-18 and u-21 anytime I've seen him, a real prospect, but he is still only young so far too early to tell. I've no idea if he is just doing it as he wants to keep his options open to play for the republic, or just because he thinks he's not ready yet, but I have real hopes he will turn out to be a very good player.
    Hannibal wrote: »
    even with the rumoured £21m double signing of Alderweireld and Eriksen it's still only a 10 or 11m net spend which is what Rafa had to deal with and our squad thinned out with Ngog, Voronin, El Zhar, Degen etc providing first team cover which was ridiculous. I know the double Ajax signing has gone completely cold the last month or so

There really have been no rumours around these lately except regurgitated things from months ago. From what I've read on these players, if we were seriously in for them we could have had them months ago. Perhaps we are still interested and have been waiting for financial reasons or something, but I would be surprised if we signed either, especially if Skrtel has been told that he is not leaving this window as has been rumoured. If he has been told that, I reckon it would be with a view to signing Papadopolous in Jan or next summer if he can prove his fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Hannibal wrote: »

Yeah....rumoured to be heading to Spurs :(

Right?

I would be completely amazed if that wasn't the case. We could have gone for a reasonably cheap (for us) but inexperience option in Ince, he certainly has some goals in him, but given the noise about Costa, it seems we are looking for experience that can drop in right now, allowing Coutinho to play directly behind Sturridge rather than from the left.

The talk of Costa signing a new contract seems premature, yesterday's news is that they were still in talks, so if we bid the release clause fee, we can still get him. But it's a lot for him I think.

I expect a surprise option for attack, a LB, and only a CB if they can move Skrtel on. Coates needs to go on loan either way, he's already 5th choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

gafferino wrote: »
    Yeah....rumoured to be heading to Spurs :(

Dawson-crying-gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

5starpool wrote: »
    He has looked excellent at u-18 and u-21 anytime I've seen him, a real prospect, but he is still only young so far too early to tell. I've no idea if he is just doing it as he wants to keep his options open to play for the republic, or just because he thinks he's not ready yet, but I have real hopes he will turn out to be a very good player.

There really have been no rumours around these lately except regurgitated things from months ago. From what I've read on these players, if we were seriously in for them we could have had them months ago. Perhaps we are still interested and have been waiting for financial reasons or something, but I would be surprised if we signed either, especially if Skrtel has been told that he is not leaving this window as has been rumoured. If he has been told that, I reckon it would be with a view to signing Papadopolous in Jan or next summer if he can prove his fitness.

A few of the supposed ITKs on twitter have been saying for a while now that we are not interested in Eriksen.

I would hope though that we have players lined up in Downing is being sold.....other than the 2 left backs we have been linked with over the w/e.

We looked poor going forward against Celtic....too much expected of Coutinho IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

A few of the supposed ITKs on twitter have been saying for a while now that we are not interested in Eriksen.

I would hope though that we have players lined up in Downing is being sold.....other than the 2 left backs we have been linked with over the w/e.

We looked poor going forward against Celtic....too much expected of Coutinho IMO

I have seen and read a few times that we are not interested in Eriksen despite media speculation. As BR has just said he thinks Coutinho is best in the middle and wants to move him there. AFAIK Eriksens best position would also be in the middle although I know he can play and has played on the wings too. Maybe Eriksen is just seen as a backup to Coutinho and not required? I doubt Eriksen would move somewhere where he is not guaranteed games.

Dickerty,

Wow, a handful.

Wasn't an age ago that we had 20+ heading off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

If there is Any more outs before ins I'll be worried

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

El Spearo wrote: »
    If there is Any more outs before ins I'll be worried

You're not worried already??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Right?

if there's not, we have to assume that we're being lied to about funds, as well as the willingness to even try to compete for 4th.

whether it's been his choice or not I don't know, but Rodgers is being heading down a river if this is the squad he has to try and attain 4th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement