Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

173344888ap010_liverpool_fc_700X420.jpg

"Help, I feel trapped!!"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

BQF9e7ACQAE8iwK.jpg:large

All avoidable if you follow credible sources and don't read tabloid sh!te. Also, anyone doing a search on twitter for transfer news needs a swift slap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Is that strapping on his hand to stop him giving the two fingered salute to Liverpool??
    Dickerty wrote: »
    173344888ap010_liverpool_fc_700X420.jpg

"Help, I feel trapped!!"

Some rumours that Napoli are looking at Skrtel. That would be great, assuming we then signed Papa or a similar top drawer starting CB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Dickerty wrote: »
    Some rumours that Napoli are looking at Skrtel. That would be great, assuming we then signed Papa or a similar top drawer starting CB!

Rafa will troll us and ask about the possibility a loan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

5starpool wrote: »
    However, if he goes to Arsenal, he would probably be there for at least a couple of years, at which time he will be not far off 29, and less likely to get a move to the likes of Real/Bayern/Barca, or wherever, if one of those level of clubs is where he ultimately aspires to.

I think its obvious he and his agent have been told Real/Bayern/Barca are not interested now or in twelve months time, otherwise he would hold out for them.

I doubt Guardiola would be shy hawking him around to every top club around too.

And as you say in a couple of years he'll be pushing thirty and Real/Bayern/Barca will still not be interested.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Rafa will troll us and ask about the possibility a loan

Only one per customer!!!

Champions league football at Napoli. Easy choice for skittles if they are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Skrtel to Napoli?
    MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 1m
    Italian journalist Gianluigi Longari has suggested Napoli are negotiating with #LFC for defender Martin Skrtel.

MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 1m
    Longari: "Napoli have spoken with Liverpool's Skrtel, who really likes Benitez, and there are ongoing negotiations."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

If Skrtel leaving means the club push ahead with signing a quality new centre half, I would have no problems with that.

What on earth will they do with Coates?

• Advertisement

Gerrard to Chelsea.

No link yet but it should be on Twitter in 10 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

we really should look at loaning him to an EPL club who will play him week in week out.

Get on the phone to Steve Clarke, Chris Hughton or Michael Laudrup and see if any of them fancy taking him for the season.

West Brom would be ideal.

It would give us a proper look at him, see how he develops playing week in week out.
    Pedalstool wrote: »
    If Skrtel leaving means the club push ahead with signing a quality new centre half, I would have no problems with that.

we really should look at loaning him to an EPL club who will play him week in week out.

Get on the phone to Steve Clarke, Chris Hughton or Michael Laudrup and see if any of them fancy taking him for the season.

West Brom would be ideal.

It would give us a proper look at him, see how he develops playing week in week out.

I think the problem is that most clubs in the Premier league have a couple of experienced centre backs playing week in, week out. Its difficult to take a gamble on a player in this position as its so vital to the prospects of any team. He may well need to go abroad or drop down a division in my opinion.

After watching the Copa America in which he starred, I had huge hopes for him. He just doesn't seem to be making the grade. I have no doubt had Rodgers any sort of hope for him he would have played more frequently.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Coates needs to leave for the sake of his career. It's fairly clear that he is not going to manke it at Liverpool, although if he can get the right move and start playing regular football at a decent level I still think he can go on to become a decent centre back. I'd guess that if him and Skrtel leave we will try to sign one more senior, hopefully starting, CB and let Wisdom and Kelly provide the 4th/5th choice backup. If Coates and Skrtel are moved on there simply has to be a senior replacement lined up, no matter how promising some of the younger players look. Who that senior player is, other than the names speculated upon already, who know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Adios Pepe You Mad Bastard.

tumblr_mqi7bbOd7y1raxpsqo1_500.jpg

Liverpool FC boss Brendan Rodgers says Reina insisted on move
    Reds made move for Mignolet after Barcelona interest in Reina

suarezreina-4877556.jpg

Brendan Rodgers says Pepe Reina's desire to move to Barcelona earlier this summer ultimately led to him being replaced at Anfield.

The Liverpool boss, speaking at a press conference in Bangkok today, confirmed that the 30-year-old had joined Napoli on a season-long loan.

Rodgers insists he only made a move for new £9million shot-stopper Simon Mignolet after being informed that Barcelona were ready to offer around the same amount to take Reina back to the Camp Nou.

As it turned out, Victor Valdes' decision to see out the rest of his contract with the Catalan giants meant Barca never followed up their interest in Reina.

With Mignolet already on board, there was no chance of Liverpool paying Reina his £110,000 per salary to warm the bench so they have allowed him to be reunited with Rafa Benitez in Naples.

Rodgers said: “In terms of us as a football club, it was obviously a difficult decision but it's one from last season.

“As manager I was led to believe we were going to get an offer for Pepe Reina that would probably see him leave the club.

“Obviously, on the football side we had to ensure we protected the team. At that stage we started our search for another goalkeeper and we found Simon Mignolet, who is top class and one of the best goalkeepers in Europe

“As events transpired, Pepe's move didn't quite happen and that left us with two very good goalkeepers. Both would have been fighting for the No 1 position.

“An opportunity then arose for Pepe that we felt as a football club was probably best for him.

“As a senior keeper he needs to be playing. This is an important year for him this year with the World Cup next summer.

“It wouldn't have served any purpose for either the football club or him personally if he was the one missing out.

“He has decided to go to Napoli but we still have two very good goalkeepers still here at the club in Simon and Brad Jones. We will review the situation with Pepe when his loan has finished.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-boss-brendan-rodgers-5325887

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sappy404 wrote: »
    All avoidable if you follow credible sources and don't read tabloid sh!te. Also, anyone doing a search on twitter for transfer news needs a swift slap.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gerrard to Chelsea.

No link yet but it should be on Twitter in 10 mins

Should have been 3 years ago when he was still worth selling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Christ Rodgers, how about a dignified silence for once? You don't have to explain the thought process behind every move.

mike65 wrote: »
    Should have been 3 years ago when he was still worth selling!

One of our best players last season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

shooooooooooooooooowooooooooooooooooosh

Christ Rodgers, how about a dignified silence for once? You don't have to explain the thought process behind every move.

I think he's handled the media superbly this summer. While we may all have questions regarding his ability to return Liverpool to the top, his handling of the media is superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Whilst I agree with you it's difficult once the question is asked.

From what I have read, from various journalists, I would describe the scenario as such.

Reina had told the club he wanted to replace Valdes who was planning on leaving Barca this summer. The club were ok with this and targeted Mignolet to replace him. They set about securing Mignolet expecting Reina to leave. They may well have planned on replacing Reina anyway with Mignolet, due to his high salary and poor form.

When Valdes changed his mind about leaving this left Liverpool in a position where they were commited to Mignolet but now Reina was left in limbo, for a year, while Valdes ran down his contract. I think Reina has an agreement to join Barca next year and is unwilling to join another club permanently in the mean time. Hence we have the situation we find ourselves with now.

I could be wrong but I think I might be pretty close to the truth.

I posted that a couple of days ago in the previous thread. I am merely reposting it here because for once in my life, I got something right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with you it's difficult once the question is asked.

Moyes on the other hand seems to be struggling abit with the added attention to everything he does in my mind. Been a tough start for him dealing with Rooney and him finding it hard to get a midfielder in.

At least Liverpool did some early business that takes the pressure off now. I think we're all getting a little impatient hoping for a big signing soon but in reality there is no major rush and the right deal can take time.

Lucas Leiva ‏@LucasLeiva87 11m
    We are so luck to have the King of medicine at LFC #zaftheking Please RT !! http://instagram.com/p/cO8AyVATGP/

BQG8Y88CEAIAiFV.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He was answering a direct question about Reina at the official press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I posted that a couple of days ago in the previous thread. I am merely reposting it here because for once in my life, I got something right!

I think I remember at the time saying you were spot on so I'm going to claim some credit too!

Seriously though it was always the most likely scenario, though some were too angry about the loan deal to see it

Kess73 wrote: »
    He was answering a direct question about Reina at the official press conference.

And answering it well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

I think that ultimately money will talk. Tax in Britain is proving a killer for the potential big signings for English clubs.

Then again Spain abolished the loophole or special tax bracket for their footballers too.

Italy may be a beneficiary, i'm not sure though
    NEDDURC wrote: »
    Moyes on the other hand seems to be struggling abit with the added attention to everything he does in my mind. Been a tough start for him dealing with Rooney and him finding it hard to get a midfielder in.

At least Liverpool did some early business that takes the pressure off now. I think we're all getting a little impatient hoping for a big signing soon but in reality there is no major rush and the right deal can take time.

I think that ultimately money will talk. Tax in Britain is proving a killer for the potential big signings for English clubs.

Then again Spain abolished the loophole or special tax bracket for their footballers too.

Italy may be a beneficiary, i'm not sure though

No it is not. The higher end tax rate in England changed this year. So when all is taken into account for earners of millions, the difference is now very small between England and Spain, plus England is now financially more attractive than many of the other European leagues thanks to the change in the tax rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

• If we could get 8/10 Million for Skertel
    • Sell spearing to blackburn 3 Million
    • Loan/sell coates
    • Get Rid of Downing 7/8 Million (west ham please take him)
    Right back - johnson,wisdom,kelly
    Left back - Enriqe,sisoko,johnson
    Center - Agger,Toure, Papa,Widsom, Kelly
    Center mid - Lucas, Gerard, henderson, Allen,alberto
    Attacking mid - Coutinho,Erickson,Gerard
    Wingers -sterling,ibe, coutinho,aspas, Assaidi
    Strikers - Sturridge,borini,suarez

Given that we will only be playing a game a week for the most part until christmas that squad should hold up from injuries till then.
    We have an exceptionally nice run of home games till christmas all against the bottom half of the table, with the exception of united but we are playing them at a good time imo.

It is quite literally a nightmare at christmas regarding fixtures and depending how we come out the other side we could buy/sell accordingly.

If suarez leaving is inevitable then get the replacement in before he is gone. Don't want another repeat of carroll and deadline day.
    Don't need to be left with a shortage of strikers as well

Are Papa and Erickson actual targets though or just paper talk?

I think Papa was a serious target til Schalke priced us out of a move. Perhaps as the window draws to a close they will change their stance.

Eriksen was never a target in my opinion, well not this summer anyway.

Old stories being recycled. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Anyone reckon we might see an Assaidi-style surprise signing this window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

At this stage, who really knows. There has been so many rumours flying around in the last 6 weeks, impossible to believe any of them any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Morzadec wrote: »

Hopefully not, last one didnt work out so well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Any players people are talking about are just paper talk, (Eriksen), their hasn't been any players since Mickey who we've been heavily linked with who any of the journo's are saying we might have a chance for him. So if we're getting two extra players in who does everyone think they will be. If Skittles and Suarez we will need four, the club are coming in August now, just over a month left in the window, I thought we were aiming to get in all our players into the club early in the window, we're leaving it late now. Plus we still need to get rid of Osama and Spearing

Morzadec wrote: »

Not for a player who is first team material, no. It would be a nice surprise though if we got in a first XI player like that, but also a big surprise.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Not for a player who is first team material, no. It would be a nice surprise though if we got in a first XI player like that, but also a big surprise.

Would signing Cissokho fall into that category?

Would signing Cissokho fall into that category?

It would hardly be a total surprise if it happened for a start as it has been mooted for a while, but I can't see him being a starter ahead of Enrique at the start of the season, so no. I was more thinking along the lines of a starting CB or potential Suarez replacement. I can't see there being a sudden we've signed him announcement for someone we hadn't been linked with who is of that level.

3 weeks tomorrow the season starts. Getting a bit edgy at our lack of signings tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

3 weeks tomorrow the season starts. Getting a bit edgy at our lack of signings tbh.

Starting to get the stage where you think, **** this is cutting it close. Especially now with the Suarez stuff in full swing.

Still need minimum two signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think papa is still in greece recovering, id say we can scrach his name of the list till january at least.

I think its going to be impossible to find another forward of real quality in this window.

I think the club will sign a centre back, perhaps the Papa transfer will happen towards the end of the window.

I still think the club can put out a very good 11 against Stoke. Hopefully Sturridge is back.

Knex. wrote: »
    Starting to get the stage where you think, **** this is cutting it close. Especially now with the Suarez stuff in full swing.

Still need minimum two signings.

Think one to two first team quality signings would be needed if Suarez stays, and one to two more on top of that if he leaves.

I think its going to be impossible to find another forward of real quality in this window.

I think the club will sign a centre back, perhaps the Papa transfer will happen towards the end of the window.

I still think the club can put out a very good 11 against Stoke. Hopefully Sturridge is back.

I don't see why it should be

klose wrote: »
    I think papa is still in greece recovering, id say we can scrach his name of the list till january at least.

Rami, Godin, or Alderweireld would be upgrades for our RCB slot.

Would have included the likes of Benatia or Douglas had they not already moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kess73 wrote: »
    Think one to two first team quality signings would be needed if Suarez stays, and one to two more on top of that if he leaves.

Yeah, definitely.

If we stay as is and Suarez and Skrtel all remain, etc, we need an AM/Winger at the very least.

Ideal scenario, we keep Suarez, sell Skrtel for some ridiculous money such as €12m, and bring in Eriksen and Papa type players.

If Suarez leaves I would be looking at another striker, such as Soldado and maybe using money on a midfielder to provide proper competition with Lucas.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement