Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pure wingers are largely out of fashion but needed here as both the full backs are arguably not quite good enough. Enrique gets confussed as he sees the goal, Johnson is in and out (was never much helped by Downing when going forward though)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dickerty wrote: »
    I would be completely amazed if that wasn't the case. We could have gone for a reasonably cheap (for us) but inexperience option in Ince, he certainly has some goals in him, but given the noise about Costa, it seems we are looking for experience that can drop in right now, allowing Coutinho to play directly behind Sturridge rather than from the left.

The talk of Costa signing a new contract seems premature, yesterday's news is that they were still in talks, so if we bid the release clause fee, we can still get him. But it's a lot for him I think.

I expect a surprise option for attack, a LB, and only a CB if they can move Skrtel on. Coates needs to go on loan either way, he's already 5th choice.

Release fees in Spain only apply to Spanish clubs. We could bid 50m in theory and they wouldn't have to sell him to us. They would obviously, but that's besides the point.

I think there will be at least intense speculation linking us to someone good in the next week or so, but whether that materialises into anything or not is a different matter. I saw a few people mention Munian on twitter, but I think it was idle chatter rather than any supposed ITK stuff. He had a poor enough season just gone by all accounts, but still potentially a cracking player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I'm not overly worried. To make the same mistakes add last year world astound me. Rodgers had publically admitted we need more... To not get that is an admission were not in a position to compete in my eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

£6m rumoured fee for Downing.

That's a 70% loss on the purchase price which is way higher than that of Carroll's 42% loss

An absolutely shocking transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

mike65 wrote: »
    Pure wingers are largely out of fashion but needed here as both the full backs are arguably not quite good enough. Enrique gets confussed as he sees the goal, Johnson is in and out (was never much helped by Downing when going forward though)

If you watched Enrique last season (2nd half in particular), he's a lot more comfortable in front of the opponants goal than in front of ours...

• Advertisement

Dickerty - he had a good spell alright but has done little in pre-season. A bit of me wonders if he should be pushed forward and let someone else defend.

murpho999 wrote: »

That's a 70% loss on the purchase price which is way higher than that of Carroll's 42% loss

We knew that the moment he was signed! Ditto Carroll, Adam was probably about right at the time, but turned out to be rubbish. Henderson, well its in his hands really. Overpriced but maybe he'll not actually turn in a whopping loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

What about depreciation?

It is, but the £20M that has always been bandied about certainly included some add-ons, which I find it hard to believe we would have achieved.
    But still a pieces of busines on a par with Aquaman...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Both Kenny signings, the reason you are in this mess tbh

T-K-O wrote: »
    What about depreciation?

What about 87k a week? I'd say the amortisation and the wage excess (over a comparable talent on 40k a week) pretty much cancel each other out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Just think in that w quietly Assaidi was signed...

Also watching the celtic match... Around the 80 min mark, Ibe took a run... And it excited me

Real talent that lad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

there is a common enough theme amond the 'outs' at Liverpool in recent times. Most of it in my opinion centres around a 'value for money' proposition in terms of wages. Players such as Carroll, Downing, Reina, Kuyt, Maxi etc. have all been moved on while Carra retired. All of these players are weekly wages in excess of £70,000 i would propose.

If i was looking at the squad i would reckon the Johnson, Henderson, Skrtel and even Agger are being looked at in terms of their weekly wage cost and cost of potential replacements of similar/better quality. Agger is a different entity in that Barca seeming want to buy him for his quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I disagree. It's a good transfer to get €6m for Downing who is not going to get any better and isn't good enough for us. It increases the transfer kitty and gets an £80,000 a week player off the wage bill. That's good business in my view.

The bad transfer was paying £18m (or was it £20m??) for him in the first place and putting him on wages appropriate for an £18m player but that's a sunk cost and shouldn't influence decisions about what's right for the team going forward. You don't throw good money after bad if you want to be successful. Look up "Sunk Cost Fallacy" or as the saying goes in golf "don't follow a bad shot with a stupid shot" ;)

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    I disagree. It's a good transfer to get €6m for Downing who is not going to get any better and isn't good enough for us. It increases the transfer kitty and gets an £80,000 a week player off the wage bill. That's good business in my view.

The bad transfer was paying £18m (or was it £20m??) for him in the first place and putting him on wages appropriate for an £18m player but that's a sunk cost and shouldn't influence decisions about what's right for the team going forward. You don't throw good money after bad if you want to be successful. Look up "Sunk Cost Fallacy" or as the saying goes in golf "don't follow a bad shot with a stupid shot" ;)

Ben

You're misreading me.

I mean the transfer to buy him at £20m was shocking, not selling him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Sky Sports Football ‏@SkyFootball

Brendan Rodgers says there can be "no solution" to Liverpool's Luis Suarez stand-off while he refuses to apologise.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8867227/brendan-rodgers-no-solution-unless-luis-suarez-backs-down-and-says-sorry

while I admire Rodgers remaining strong in his stance, I don't see Suarez apologising.

he's the sort that will not admit when he's done any wrong.

fun times ahead so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

That's your classic moneyball/soccernomics scenario right there....or am I missing something? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Grayditch wrote: »
    Need. More. Inho's.

FYP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

You're misreading me.

I mean the transfer to buy him at £20m was shocking, not selling him now.

We're on the same page so Murpo999 :cool:

Ben

SlickRic wrote: »
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8867227/brendan-rodgers-no-solution-unless-luis-suarez-backs-down-and-says-sorry

while I admire Rodgers remaining strong in his stance, I don't see Suarez apologising.

he's the sort that will not admit when he's done any wrong.

fun times ahead so.

It could be the route where the club insist he apologises, he refuses, and they sell him based on that, which then supersedes the previous statements. Even if he throws the worlds biggest tantrum he shouldn't be sold to Arsenal though.

T-K-O wrote: »
    What about depreciation?

He's a footballer not a car.

If he was any use he'd retain and increase his value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ryan McLaughlin again has rejected a senior call up from Northern Ireland and Michael O'Neill confirmed it today. I think it does nothing for a young lads development getting a call up into this joke of a set-up at the moment. The IFA are too interested in giving débuts to young, inexperienced men for the sole purpose of not allowing them to 'defect' to the Republic of Ireland. I think he is one of the few Belfast guys at his age that has a chance of making it and he's been a solid performer for a number of years. He's made the right call here IMO.

With Flanagan rumored to be loaned and rubbish anyways and kelly miles off the pace which is acceptable given his injury I think mclaghlin knows theres a chance to get involved with the first team. Think hes a smashing full back and can certainly make the first team someday. Fair play to him rejecting it in any case.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    That's your classic moneyball/soccernomics scenario right there....or am I missing something? ;)

No, it's classic proof that the buy British/premiership proven only policy was sh1te.

5starpool wrote: »
    It could be the route where the club insist he apologises, he refuses, and they sell him based on that, which then supersedes the previous statements. Even if he throws the worlds biggest tantrum he shouldn't be sold to Arsenal though.

That is probably his thinking. Leave the club with nowhere to go. But if he thinks we'll EVER sell to Arsenal, he's wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'm not a Liverpool fan by any means but I admire the stance they are taking.

I hope they stick to their guns and let him rot in the reserves.

He could use a dose of humility. Shocking disrespect of a great club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That is probably his thinking. Leave the club with nowhere to go. But if he thinks we'll EVER sell to Arsenal, he's wrong.

Hypothetically, if Suarez doesnt apologise and ye refuse to sell to Arsenal, what next?

Let him rot and wait until a club comes in with an offer less then 40million in January or next summer?

How long do ya wait and if BR gives in and plays him to keep his value up, does that not make him and the club, look some what weak as a result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The most annoying thing about the Carroll and Downing transfers is that I, along with most other sane fans, knew it was awful business. I probably typed about 2,000 words saying exactly that in the days and hours leading up to their transfers. It was a complete waste of money, and everyone could see it at the time, and now it has proved more than true. It makes it all the more frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It'll come down to the unstoppable force vs the immovable object, they wont back down and there will be a horrible stalemate ala Tevez at Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Well Suarez doesn't have a leg to stand on TBH.

The 6 game suspension at the start of the season works to the clubs advantage, because he can't refuse to play :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think there's an incredible amount of support for Rodgers' handling of Suarez, from all corners of football. The thinking goes that the player ultimately gets what he wants in the end, but this could be a case where things are different, and even if it works out to our detriment in some ways, it may put the sh1ts up other footballers who don't respect the contract.

Ironically, you'd think it would be Wenger who'd be most proud of a move like this.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    I think there's an incredible amount of support for Rodgers' handling of Suarez, from all corners of football. The thinking goes that the player ultimately gets what he wants in the end, but this could be a case where things are different, and even if it works out to our detriment in some ways, it may put the sh1ts up other footballers who don't respect the contract.

Ironically, you'd think it would be Wenger who'd be most proud of a move like this.

The club has handled it excellently. He should not be sold to Arsenal, under any circumstances, regardless of how many toys he throws out of his pram. If a foreign club come in for him and offers £40m or more, he should be sold, and I believe the club would sell him under those circumstances. I reckon he will change his tune when the transfer window closes and he's still a Liverpool player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hypothetically, if Suarez doesnt apologise and ye refuse to sell to Arsenal, what next?

Let him rot and wait until a club comes in with an offer less then 40million in January or next summer?

How long do ya wait and if BR gives in and plays him to keep his value up, does that not make him and the club, look some what weak as a result?

why yes actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Anybody think Agger will go??

Agger out and Sakho in? Plenty of people linking us with Sakho today.

While I think we would be mad to turn down 20/ 25M for Agger, I don't like the idea of to many changes in one go.

Tusky wrote: »
    The most annoying thing about the Carroll and Downing transfers is that I, along with most other sane fans, knew it was awful business. I probably typed about 2,000 words saying exactly that in the days and hours leading up to their transfers. It was a complete waste of money, and everyone could see it at the time, and now it has proved more than true. It makes it all the more frustrating.

I just went back in time looking for Downing chat at the time of his signing but spotted a comment from Eagle Eye about how good he'd be that was posted in 2008!

Also first sighting of Luis Suarez on a Liverpool thread (if only we'd known!)
    (I also found this gem)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

to be fair to Rodgers, he can't do any more than he's done on the Suarez front. i don't think even the most ardent of his critics can deny him that.

transfers in are the pressing pieces of business he should be worrying himself with now though.

I just went back in time looking for Downing chat at the time of his signing but spotted a comment from Eagle Eye about how good he'd be that was posted in 2008!

Also first sighting of Luis Suarez on a Liverpool thread (if only we'd known!)
    (I also found this gem)

Excellent detective work. I'm convinced MrAlan is bipolar. I have never witnessed such a dramatic change in character either online or off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I'm personally delighted that Downing is leaving.

One of the most frustrating players to watch. The amount of times he had the opportunity to take on a defender and he'd turn back and pass it to the full back.

Just didn't have the balls for it. No doubt he will do a good job at West Ham though. Just not good enough for where we want to be.

Alot of work to be done before the window closes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

its 12.26pm on a Monday and there has been no meltdown yet.....over half way there now just 11 hours 34 mins to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

gafferino wrote: »
    its 12.26pm on a Monday and there has been no meltdown yet.....over half way there now just 11 hours 34 mins to go.

How could there be possibly be a meltdown on the day that Downing is leaving. REJOICE!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

djPSB wrote: »
    So Downing and Carroll end up with Big Sam and Pulis signed Adam.

Would make you wonder what kind of a team Comolli/Kenny were trying to build.

Trying to get those players to link with the likes of Suarez was madness.

Tiki Taka?

As I said in another thread, can't wait to witness the liquid football that Allardyce will have them playing with an attack consisting of...

Cole - Carroll - Downing
    RasTa wrote: »
    Both Kenny signings, the reason you are in this mess tbh

No, they were Kenny & Comolli signings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

(I also found this gem)

Oh, my.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

billy2012 wrote: »

While I think we would be mad to turn down 20/ 25M for Agger, I don't like the idea of to many changes in one go.

Am as convinced that Agger is going nowhere this summer as I was last summer when many on here were thinking he was defo leaving.

He likes the club and is happy there, but more importantly he is very settled in the city and that is worth it's weight in gold to a guy like Daniel Agger. Plus if he does open/get involved with another business in the city, as is looking like it might happen, then I see him sticking around as he is very hands on with his projects/investments and is not the type to just pick up his cut from afar.

Even the bar/restaurant he co-owns in Denmark sees him pop in from time to time and he has a family member in there the rest of the time.

On the very unlikely (imo of course) chance that he did go to Barca, then Sakho would be a brilliant replacement and probably would be an upgrade in the LCB position.

Think it is all moot though and our Great Dane will be marshalling the back line for us this season.

As for Suarez, the eejit will eventually apologise. World Cup year + wanting to looking good for big clubs like Madrid, Bayern and co. ahead of a possible move.

Still banking on Real bidding for him in the next week or two though.

billy2012 wrote: »

I doubt Agger will go unless as you say a £20m plus bid comes in for him. I think it was reported this morning that there has been a £14m + bid from Barca which they turned down.

Unlikely he will go IMO, far more likely to be Skrtel.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Am as convinced that Agger is going nowhere this summer as I was last summer when many on here were thinking he was defo leaving.

He likes the club and is happy there, but more importantly he is very settled in the city and that is worth it's weight in gold to a guy like Daniel Agger. Plus if he does open/get involved with another business in the city, as is looking like it might happen, then I see him sticking around as he is very hands on with his projects/investments and is not the type to just pick up his cut from afar.

Even the bar/restaurant he co-owns in Denmark sees him pop in from time to time and he has a family member in there the rest of the time.

On the very unlikely (imo of course) chance that he did go to Barca, then Sakho would be a brilliant replacement and probably would be an upgrade in the LCB position.

Think it is all moot though and our Great Dane will be marshalling the back line for us this season.

There is no way Agger will leave until he is finished the work he started on your tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    As for Suarez, the eejit will eventually apologise. World Cup year + wanting to looking good for big clubs like Madrid, Bayern and co. ahead of a possible move.

Bayern want Lewandowski & are willing to wait so they haven`t a notion of coming in for him. Uruguay have a good amount of work to do to make the World Cup too.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Yep I think Madrid or BM will still come in for him and then he will be all sweet and nice again.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Bayern want Lewandowski & are willing to wait so they haven`t a notion of coming in for him. Uruguay have a good amount of work to do to make the World Cup too.

I'm well aware of the situation with Lewy :D

Basing it on the agent - coach link, more so than anything. To add, there's been a bit of a talk that this is Robbery's last season at the club too, they could be on the hunt for a wing forward type and Suarez could fit the bill.

djPSB wrote: »
    How could there be possibly be a meltdown on the day that Downing is leaving. REJOICE!

If we replace him with another 'promising' 20 year old, or not at all, we might be sorry we let him go.

I'm certainly not going to join in the glee that he is gone. He was in no way worth the fee that was paid for him at the time, and his first season was awful, but last season he was far from our biggest problem. there is definitely better value for money out there, but if he was sold mostly to get his wages off the books and isn't replaced with a better option (not better value, but better on the pitch) it's bad to sell him.

He gave 100% on the pitch, and never bitched and whined, but knuckled down and fought his way back into the team. If I'm at a game where he is a visiting player, I for one will give him a warm reception, same as I will with Carroll and Spearing. Joe Cole though, meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Selling Agger at this stage would be beyond infuriating.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement