Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Against Celtic the midfield trio was 1-2 rather than 2-1.
    Lucas sitting behind Gerrard-Allen.

I was actually hoping that this would be the eventual way in which we would end up playing under Rodgers. We got absolutely spanked at Arsenal in the first half of last season playing this way when Diaby cut through us like butter at will during the match. BR gave that huge long tactical interview after that exact match in which he talked about the problems Diaby had given because of his strong powerful running. We changed at some point in that match to a 2-1 and after that Rodger's seemed a little gun shy throughout the season to play a 1-2. Maybe we will see more of it this season, although I've written before that the reason it has never really worked that well in the prem is because sides are naturally set up to exploit it as a system in the premiership.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Allen really needs to keep improving on his performances. He has been better in most of preseason than he was at the tail end of last season, but his score card would still say "Must do harder"

The problem is that Allen ain't an AM or a DM.

In an ideal world he would play where Gerrard is currently being played and being perfectly honest I think the team would work better with him there instead of Gerrard. (by no means do I think Allen is better than Gerrard, just more suited to how Rodgers likes to play)

(Gerrards position, just a different role)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What's that AnfieldInsider fella like on Twitter? Reliable or the usual source?

Murial and Muniain would certainly be top end of what we would be likely to get, if not out of reach. The latter seems to have been linked with us for every window since he was 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Are ye for real lads?! Gerrard was excellent in that position last season.

Knex. wrote: »

Murial and Muniain would certainly be top end of what we would be likely to get, if not out of reach. The latter seems to have been linked with us for every window since he was 16.

Has he been talking about Murial?? Think I mentioned the other day that we apparently had scouts over watching him last week.

Seen Lamelas name floating around aswell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Reliable or not, both are definitely gettable. It just depends on how much we want to Overpay for them.

I would say ~20M for Muniain and about ~24M for Muriel.

opr wrote: »
    Since he has taken over he has hardly moved Gerrard from the role in the midfield two. In some of the games last season and so far in pre-season he has persisted with Gerrard/Lucas with Allen as the forward in the midfield three. Allen hasn't looked up to playing that role at all but for some reason it keeps getting persisted with. Swapping them makes so much sense when looking at things on paper but he hasn't even experimented with it at all.

Part of it I think comes from the fact he seems to want the player in that hole role to press relentlessly from the front and lead by example. Players he has used in that role like Suarez, Allen, Henderson and Coutinho while some are maybe not natural looking number tens on the ball, off the ball they're mobile and can press, chase and harry the opposition. He had talked about it in interviews before that winning the ball back in that area is the greatest threat in transition for the opposition. If that's what he wants in that area then Gerrard's legs mean he won't give you that.

Opr

Excellent post.

Imo Allen isn't up to playing the most advanced of the trio. I'm not sure he'll get much of a chance in Gerrard's role(which is his preferred), and we know he can fill in for Lucas.

So I can't see how he fits.

Imo, Hemderson is a better fit if it comes down to him or Allen for the advanced role.

Preferably, we'd sign a proper top class AM/CM. Perhaps someone that excels in both roles.

djPSB wrote: »
    Are ye for real lads?! Gerrard was excellent in that position last season.

Yes he was, but it's not a normal role in Tic Tac.

The midfield would be more fluent with out someone sitting in an Alonso role alongside a DM that offers nothing going forward and generally plays as a 3rd CB.

I don't have a rob with Gerrard at all, he was excellent 2nd half of last season, it's just the midfield in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Excellent post.

Imo Allen isn't up to playing the most advanced of the trio. I'm not sure he'll get much of a chance in Gerrard's role(which is his preferred), and we know he can fill in for Lucas.

So I can't see how he fits.

Imo, Hemderson is a better fit if it comes down to him or Allen for the advanced role.

Preferably, we'd sign a proper top class AM/CM. Perhaps someone that excels in both roles.

Thats not going to happen :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Downing has completed his medical according to various Twitter sources.

Your man Karl claims that Rodgers wanted to keep him but that he was over-ruled by the club who felt his performances didn't justify his wages.

Interesting sub-plot if true

Why not though? Was last years midfield good enough for top 4? No, so what are we doing about it?

If we want to get top 4 these are the signing that NEED to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Morzadec wrote: »

Your man Karl claims that Rodgers wanted to keep him but that he was over-ruled by the club who felt his performances didn't justify his wages.

Interesting and correct, if true. If you consider that we have Ibe, Sterling, Aspas and Borini who can play that side, even Suarez or Sturridge, it's too much wage for just another option.

But only if they reinvest the saving/fee in a big player...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

who is this Karl character?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

SlickRic wrote: »
    Scott Sinclair couldn't get a game from the bench for City.

Spurs land internationals like Paulinho, Soldado and Chadli. we get Sinclair?

fúck right off. that better be completely made up bollocks.

Not advocating the signing of Sinclair at all but going by your logic we should never have signed Sturridge or Coutinho. Just because players can't get a game at a club full of superstars doesn't mean they automatically should be written off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Dickerty wrote: »
    Interesting and correct, if true. If you consider that we have Ibe, Sterling, Aspas and Borini who can play that side, even Suarez or Sturridge, it's too much wage for just another option.

Correct? If the manager wanted to keep a player, but FSG were insisting he was sold, you'd think that was correct?

• Advertisement

AHEM -

article-0-173DC9C0000005DC-978_634x725.jpg

AHEM -

article-0-173DC9C0000005DC-978_634x725.jpg

There's no doubt he should be moved into the middle behind the striker, said that over the last few days.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Correct? If the manager wanted to keep a player, but FSG were insisting he was sold, you'd think that was correct?

It shouldn't be just down to the manager either way. He doesn't decide what we pay for a player, or what we sell for. So if a good offer comes (transfer fee and wage saving), and he's not fundamental to the team (like probably only Agger, Stevie, Coutinho, Luis, Sturridge), then the financials need to work. Othewise, he can keep saying "No, I need him too..."

Who's this Karl lad?

I hope there's nothing in that.

Rodgers was stitched up last summer, a repeat would be a mess.

who is this Karl character?

This guy:

Carl_Carlson.png

• Advertisement

It shouldn't be just down to the manager either way. He doesn't decide what we pay for a player, or what we sell for. So if a good offer comes (transfer fee and wage saving), and he's not fundamental to the team (like probably only Agger, Stevie, Coutinho, Luis, Sturridge), then the financials need to work. Othewise, he can keep saying "No, I need him too..."

And let guys who have no knowledge of football make these footballing decisions? :confused:

Success won't achieved this way I'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Who's this Karl lad?

Karl = https://twitter.com/Karlton81

A Reliable fellow/follow.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So you are happy with our wide options? 2 guys who are better centre (including Sturridge who left his last club as he wanted to play in the centre), 1 guy who doesn't want to play for the club, and scored 30 goals last season playing mainly through the middle, 1 guy who was injured most of last season and who has done nothing of note for us and barely played pre season, and 2 kids?

We are weak on the flanks. There are some potentially exciting kids, but that is all they are. It is a risky strategy relying too heavily on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Who's this Karl lad?

I heard his head was perfectly rounded and that he was infamous for his off kilter idiot-savant observations----

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I hear he steals all his info from the AnfieldMole.

I'm not happy if we just reduced our options. But I'm working on the assumption that we will bring in a starting player, and that Ibe, Borini, Sterling and Aspas are strong back-up options.

We are weak on the flanks, yes. Downing didn't improve that. So it's no loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Why not though? Was last years midfield good enough for top 4? No, so what are we doing about it?

If we want to get top 4 these are the signing that NEED to happen.

I agree with you that they need to happen, but I just cant see them happening.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm not happy if we just reduced our options. But I'm working on the assumption that we will bring in a starting player, and that Ibe, Borini, Sterling and Aspas are strong back-up options.

We are weak on the flanks, yes. Downing didn't improve that. So it's no loss.

If we bring in a starting player who is clearly an improvement, then cool beans, everyone is happy. Time will tell though I guess.

I agree with you that they need to happen, but I just cant see them happening.

Sorry, those questions weren't aimed at you. They were reinforcing your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

FFS Atsu would be a better winger than Downing and he would cost peanuts in transfer fee and wages but I would hope a more established name would come in.

Downing might have been good defensively but call me old fashioned I like my wingers to be able to attack competently.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

rob316 wrote: »
    FFS Atsu would be a better winger than Downing and he would cost peanuts in transfer fee and wages but I would hope a more established name would come in.

Downing might have been good defensively but call me old fashioned I like my wingers to be able to attack competently.

Toure would prefer to eat them peanuts than spend them on Atsu I'd imagine :D Rumours have it the lads have given him the nickname of 'elephant' after being in the team showers after his first training session :D Elephants love peanuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Raheem Sterling again
    Liverpool FC winger Raheem Sterling was charged with failing to tell the authorities he had sold a car.

But the hearing was put off when the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) prosecutor asked for time to tell their press office about the case.

Wirral Magistrates' Court heard Sterling, 18, of Woolton, Liverpool, was charged with not completing the documents for a Mercedes Benz ML350 Sport Station Wagon for the DVLA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Allen hasn't looked up to playing that role at all but for some reason it keeps getting persisted with.

To be fair on him, he had a stormer in that role against Zenit (I think he scored in that game). But other than that, he was not good there, I agree, and I guess having Henderson playing the almost false wideman role (Something I quite like and should be considered for some games) may have helped.

Agreed. Some games will need the CAM role to be more functional and 'pressy' than perhaps Coutinho would offer. It's no slight on Allen (Who y'all will know I love) to say that Henderson would be better suited there. His energy is fantastic, but unlike some 'workhorses' he's got skill too.
    Swapping [Allen and Gerrard] makes so much sense when looking at things on paper but he hasn't even experimented with it at all.

Aye.

mike65 wrote: »

Jaysus Mike, is it that slow of a day??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

It's possible that further deals, such as top-left (my new favorite cliche never heard before) are waiting on movement...ie downing out, newbie in?

The Downing Saga...
    Jack Sullivan (@jsullivanwhu)
    8/12/13, 1:54 PM
    We expect a major signing on an International player in the next few days
    you'll hear the name first here, but not till its done #coyi #whu

LiverpoolFC News ‏@LFCTransferNRS 7m
    Stewart Downing has passed his medical at West Ham. (via @PeterPhillips_)

Karl ‏@Karlton81 2m
    The Downing story goes, BR wanted to keep him, the club overruled that as they decided that his performances didn't warrant his wages. #Sold

Karl ‏@Karlton81 1m
    The club believe Downing's wages could be used to get in better replacements. He's completed his medical by the way. #ByeByeStewie

Becci ‏@BecciBoopLFC 37m
    Rumour has it Stewart Downing has failed his medical. He stopped running on the treadmill, turned around and looked for Glen Johnson.

Rafa 2, Wenger 0?
    Transfer News Live (@DeadlineDayLive)
    8/12/13, 6:25 PM
    Arsenal have offered Bayern Munich £17.2m for midfielder Luiz Gustavo. (Source: Sky Sports)

8/12/13, 2:24 PM
    Napoli have submitted an official offer to Bayern Munich for Arsenal target Luiz Gustavo. (Source: Kicker

8/12/13, 5:39 PM
    "I'm assessing the best option. It's a delicate situation. I'll go somewhere where I'll play." — Luiz Gustavo. (Source: ESPN)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

The Downing Saga...

That treadmill bit toyed with me...from horror to hilarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We probably should have accepted the arsenal bid for Suarez then Rafa would have swooped in and hi-jacked it and everyone wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Has our interest in Tom Ince totally finished since January or is there a chance it'll be revived now that Downing is gone?

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    Has our interest in Tom Ince totally finished since January or is there a chance it'll be revived now that Downing is gone?

I don't think we'll go for Ince. We seem to be looking for a definite upgrade over Ibe and Sterling, and Ince is not that.

And I doubt Ince will come here, unless we Promise to give him a Starting Position. He seems to Value playing week-in, week-out.

Spotted this in the fantasy football thread.

Nice insight on how Stoke will play on Saturday.
    little insider info for you lads.

Was at Stoke v Genoa pre season yesterday (0-0) and it's a completely different setup this season.

Actually playing football.

Charlie Adam played behind Crouch with Walters out on the right wing. Wilson on at half time and is playing in a defensive midfield role.

Stoke must have had 70% + possession and 2/3 clear goal chances (Walters missed badly from 6 yards, N'Zonzi blazed over when 1 on 1 and their keeper made a fine save from a Walters header).

For all the possession Stoke had, they didn't really turn up the heat too much. Adam is going to be the spark if there is to be one, he tested their keeper a few times and made some telling pinpoint passes switching the play from right to left.

If they can get a Defoe type player in the transfer window, pushing N'Zonzi back to DM, allowing Adam in the centre of the park and the Defoe player in the hole behind Crouch, they could actually be an entertaining team this season. Not having that outlet that a Defoe/Keane/Owen (@Prime) provides could blunt them terribly though. Keep an eye out for any signings!

Other than that Adam and Walters the only obvious points scorers (if Walters stays on penalties)

(Also, Pieters @LB and Muneisa (also a LB) are the two new signings which I think adds weight to the Wilson to Midfield train)

Yesterday's starting lineup
    Begovic
    Cameron Huth Shawcross Pieters
    Walters Palacios N'Zonzi Etherington
    Adam
    Crouch

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85937848&postcount=205

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Becci ‏@BecciBoopLFC 37m
    Rumour has it Stewart Downing has failed his medical. He stopped running on the treadmill, turned around and looked for Glen Johnson.

That one made me giggle :pac:

Who's this Karl lad?

Interesting.

There's no way Stoke will be capable of dominating possession against us on Saturday though, there's one prediction I'm confident of making.

They may win, but god damn it the possession battle will be ours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I read that as 'Adam will be the main threat'. Bricking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Interesting.

There's no way Stoke will be capable of dominating possession against us on Saturday though, there's one prediction I'm confident of making.

Liverpool to get 12 corners to Stoke's 1.

Adam to score directly from it.

Liverpool lose 1 nil with 70% possession. You heard it here first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

El Spearo wrote: »
    Just after re-reading BR's comments there on signings and Suarez. I will be NOTHING short of amazed if we don't bring in at least 2-3 new players. Sigueria is really gathering speed (which is worrying considering how hard it is to spell his name). And I feel that could be locked down within 48 hours.

That signing is typical of what we can expect. An improvement on a position that for the time being we can manage without. Enrique can play the first couple of games while Sequeria gets up to pace.

As with the other comments from BR, he wants Inho to shift into the no. 10 role. This again makes sense, as he can play on the left until the new first teamer that we get between now and the close of the window can get up to pace.

For the first game of the season I imagine it will be something along the lines of this.
    v Stoke (possible squad)
    Q8YDgAb.png

With the side growing into this once all the dust has settled on the signings. I'm leaving Suarez out simply due to the fact that after 6 games, its 50:50 whether or not he will be involved or not.

Strongest XI close of window
    n6eU2Q6.png

Obviously a lot to try get right with that formation...like with Inho in the no. 10, will gerrard go into a flat 2 man midfield with Lucas? ur play central with leiva in behind him.

Also hard to know if defensive reinforcements are a priority. LB seems to be, but isn't Kolo, Skrtel and Agger a little light? Coates will likely be off on load while Kelly won't be match fit for a while. Wisdom isn't really quite 'there' yet either.

Another GK, free, experience and likely old would be a nice addition too. Love Jones' pluck and dedication, but sentiments get clubs into bad positions.

Order of business by priority.
    1. Left Wing
    2. Left Back
    3. Centre Back
    4. Keeper
    5. Suggestions?

least that's what I think.

Agreed we need a Left winger and a left back, I think we also need a RW and a central defender. Four first 11 players to get us to champs league places.

FSG - just spend the damn cash please....

mosstin wrote: »
    I read that as 'Adam will be the main threat'. Bricking it.

Sh*t.

Adam's definitely going to score now.

Interesting.

Stoke have also kept 4 consecutive clean sheets in pre season.

Has 0-0 written all over it. Liverpool with 70% possession, hit the woodwork 4 times, Begovic with 5 world class saves, 3 goals wrongly disallowed.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Adam will two-foot Coutinho in the first 20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Sh*t.

Adam's definitely going to score now.

Just put a few quid on it. He definitely WONT score now. :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement