Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Morzadec wrote: »
    Sh*t.

Adams is definitely going to score now.

FYP

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

djPSB wrote: »
    Stoke have also kept 4 consecutive clean sheets in pre season.

Has 0-0 written all over it. Liverpool with 70% possession, hit the woodwork 4 times, Begovic with 5 world class saves, 3 goals wrongly disallowed.

:D

Sounds like the last 2 home games vs Stoke, except for the excitement bit. Both 0-0 and I was at both. I'll be there on Saturday as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

5starpool wrote: »
    Sounds like the last 2 home games vs Stoke, except for the excitement bit. Both 0-0 and I was at both. I'll be there on Saturday as well.

Well we haven't improved the first team a whole pile since, so a similar result is not unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Grayditch wrote: »
    Adam will two-foot Coutinho in the first 20 mins.

We need to play Wisdom so....Adam is terrified of him :D

The last two home games v Stoke have finished 0-0 so I won't be getting too cocky!

Really need to win tbh expecially with Utd being the 3rd game. Need 4 points on the board before that game at least

Marca are saying Cissokho deal is close, but Sky are saying Ayre is on a plane to get Sequiera. Both dubious sources, so unlikely both are true especially since Rodgers distanced the club from the Cissokho deal. But if we get both, I wonder is Enrique being considered for LWF at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's a new era at Stoke, so we might win.

Or lose 3-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Agree - 0-0 is a real possibility.

If it is Aspas to start as the central striker it is absolutely vital he has his shooting boots on. His finishing looks a bit hit and miss from what I've seen.

I think it will be the usual case - a lot of pressure early on. We will dominate the match, particularly the start and if we score early we will probably coast it and run out 2 or 3 nil winners.

If we don't it's anyone's game, with 0-0 being very likely, and Stoke nicking it not being at all unlikely either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Marca are saying Cissokho deal is close, but Sky are saying Ayre is on a plane to get Sequiera. Both dubious sources, so unlikely both are true especially since Rodgers distanced the club from the Cissokho deal. But if we get both, I wonder is Enrique being considered for LWF at all?

Echo are usually on the ball and they're saying Siquiera so I would imagine he's more likely

So how many left backs did we sign today? :D

We all dream of a team of left backs...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So how many left backs did we sign today? :D

We all dream of a team of left backs...

Sur didnt Bale start out as a left back !

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Maybe we're getting both and Enrique will be at a new club come September 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

We might buy both and move Enrique to LW fulltime. It would be incredibly stupid way of filling that gap, but it wouldn't shock me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

joe123 wrote: »
    In fairness that comment link Mike posted is quite brilliant.

How was it? It's another cheap shot that in the ongoing nonsense that is all too common on this thread.

That was said in 2008, just before we finished runners up in the league and in the context of supporters like Mike calling for Rafa's head. It was also in the context of being CL finalists the season before and winning the CL 3 seasons before hand.

So him defending our manager when we were actually doing well is somehow justification for undermining his criticisms of Rogers or the owners during a period that we are doing pretty average.

This thread has become a joke shop to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Alan defending a manager 6 weeks into a season where we attained 86 points and came the closest to winning it that we have since 1991, and also the manager who got us to 2 CL finals in the 4 seasons previous, does not mean that he has to support one who has none of that going for him, or else be a hypocrite.

Thankfully someone else gets the irony!! The scary thing is that it is a mature adult prompting these sort of posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Thankfully someone else gets the irony!! The scary thing is that it is a mature adult prompting these sort of posts.

Cheers lads.

Good to see not everyone in this thread has lost their mind.

Amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

How was it? It's another cheap shot that in the ongoing nonsense that is all too common on this thread.

That was said in 2008, just before we finished runners up in the league and in the context of supporters like Mike calling for Rafa's head. It was also in the context of being CL finalists the season before and winning the CL 3 seasons before hand.

So him defending our manager when we were actually doing well is somehow justification for undermining his criticisms of Rogers or the owners during a period that we are doing pretty average.

I'm new enough to this thread but I think I'm noticing a trend here, you seem to be on the scene to defend Alans honour, are you his minder or what's the deal?

This is going to get weird.

• Advertisement

Daemonic wrote: »
    We might buy both and move Enrique to LW fulltime. It would be incredibly stupid way of filling that gap, but it wouldn't shock me either.

If FSG are only going to spend a little bit more (£5m of Sequeira) then I can see it happening. He wouldn't be first-team material at all - I'd say between him, Sterling, and Aspas, he'd be 3rd choice - but he'd be a useful option alright. Fingers crossed Muniain or Konoplyanka are gettable this window, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

It would be retarded to sell Downing unless he is replaced by genuine quality who will walk into our starting 11.

As bad as people seem to think Downing is, he was still our second best winger last season after Coutinho, and nothing we have done this window changes that thus far.

I like Downings attitude but wont be disappointed with him leaving as long he is replaced by someone better now, not someone on less wages but a similar level of performance.

Also tilting the life out of me people calling a left winger, "top of the left" or "top-left" :mad:

Are we going to have a 20m+ signing this window does anyone think?
    I know price doesnt always equal value, we know that very well, but still we cannot be hoping to bridge the gap to top 4 without spending a few quid ?

I'm new enough to this thread but I think I'm noticing a trend here, you seem to be on the scene to defend Alans honour, are you his minder or what's the deal?

Pathetic.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    It would be silly to sell Downing unless he is replaced by genuine quality who will walk into our starting 11.

As bad as people seem to think Downing is, he was still our second best winger last season after Coutinho, and nothing we have done this window changes that thus far.

I like Downings attitude but wont be disappointed with him leaving as long he is replaced by someone better now, not someone on less wages but a similar level of performance.

Also tilting the life out of me people calling a left winger, "top of the left" or "top-left" :mad:
    fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If it turns out true that Rodgers wanted to keep Downing but was over ruled because of wages then it's a worrying development. He should have final say.

Also why are people here so worried as FSG are about wages.

I want to see that increase as quality players come in.

When LFC was successful no one gave a fu*k about wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

This thread became a joke along time ago. When I noticed "supporters" actually wanting our manager gone after no time, calling him david brent, a used car salesman....

Yeah its Mikes clever little find thats made this thread a joke :rolleyes:

Anyways, Il say no more on the matter.

This thread became a joke along time ago. When I noticed "supporters" actually wanting our manager gone after no time, calling him david brent, a used car salesman....

Yeah its Mikes clever little find thats made this thread a joke :rolleyes:

Anyways, Il say no more on the matter.

Didn't you say during our best league season in modern times that we should sack our La Liga winning, Uefa Cup winning, FA Cup winning & Champions League winning manager?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Didn't you say during our best league season in modern times that we should sack our La Liga winning, Uefa Cup winning, FA Cup winning & Champions League winning manager?

er...no!?

Whered ya pull that from?

I never felt Benitez should have been sacked, I never wanted Kenny sacked, I even defended hodsgon for the first while.

Im more along the line of thinking that a manager needs time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mr Alan gets defended against people dragging up old posts
    Cheers lads.

Good to see not everyone in this thread has lost their mind.

Agrees with, and thanks, stating that to drag up old posts is to lose your mind

Instantly drags up old post.

This stuff writes itself.

Best league season where we won nothing.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Best league season were we won nothing.

I thought it was all about the league?

:cool:

Best league season were we won nothing.

That season we played some majestic stuff though. Ive never witnessed us play better football in my time supporting the club which dates back to around 1994.

er...no!?

Whered ya pull that from?

I never felt Benitez should have been sacked, I never wanted Kenny sacked, I even defended hodsgon for the first while.

Im more along the line of thinking that a manager needs time.

Apologies, I must be thinking of someone else.

Speaking of Karl. We should sign Karl Fletcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

We are almost overdue a "previous managers tribute thread" sub forum where we can all light cigars and reminisce about the past. Kenny & Rafa are gone, all the mawkish gurning in the world won't bring them back.

Maybe under that sub forum we could have another sub forum called "Mopers moping about how the current manager isn't Kenny/Rafa"

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Bang of Spurs off that lad, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

he would be too much trouble off the pitch

Ok lads, Stoke game....

I was delighted when Pulis left Stoke , can't stand the baseball cap wearing dick, however I would probably prefer he was still there just for this one game, at least with him there you could guarantee zero attacking intent from them and be comfortable in the fact that we would dominate the game albeit probably fluffing our lines in front of goal, there is just that element of the unknown with Hughes at the helm now, I'm not too sure what to expect from them now!

Karl-Heinz Riedle?..

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I thought it was all about the league?

:cool:

It is but we should have won it that year, and also it was followed up on.

This is from Bob Paisley

"I'll admit, right away, that I am disappointed that we did not have a major trophy to show for our efforts. We were in four and we had a good side, but when you count second place as failure, then standards are becoming fantastically high. We never celebrate second place here."

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    he would be too much trouble off the pitch

Pfft, he'd be banging them in. Also score some goals too.

This is from Bob Paisley

"I'll admit, right away, that I am disappointed that we did not have a major trophy to show for our efforts. We were in four and we had a good side, but when you count second place as failure, then standards are becoming fantastically high. We never celebrate second place here."

The summer after that 2nd place was the time to bring in quality. It didn't happen.

This is from Bob Paisley

Ya we should have won it that year, but it was our bad run at the end where we only got 37 points from the last 39 available that did us in.

From your quote above, if we don't win the league this year it's a failure.

News flash - We are not the team we were under Bob Paisley anyhow, nor even the team we were under Rafa. We would cream ourselves at 4th. What a daft out of context quote.

Ya we should have won it that year, but it was our bad run at the end where we only got 37 points from the last 39 available that did us in.

News flash - We are not the team we were under Bob Paisley anyhow, nor even the team we were under Rafa. We would cream ourselves at 4th. What a daft out of context quote.

Yeah, going by that quote it's gonna be at least another 10 years of failure

It's not an out of context quote.

It's showing the standard that the club did have and how it has fallen.

Lots of posters going on here about the great 2009 season but ultimately we failed and what we need to do is get back to that level and surpass it.

People would be happy with 4th as it will get us into CL and put us in a postion to sign better players but we need to look further than that in my opinion and look at building towards winning the league and not harping after Rafa's second place and pending implosion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Have you not learned your lesson about buying off that lot after Didier Baptiste?

It's not an out of context quote.

It's showing the standard that the club did have and how it has fallen.

Lots of posters going on here about the great 2009 season but ultimately we failed and what we need to do is get back to that level and surpass it.

People would be happy with 4th as it will get us into CL and put us in a postion to sign better players but we need to look further than that in my opinion and look at building towards winning the league and not harping after Rafa's second place and pending implosion.

I'm sure it makes sense in your head anyhow.

Ok lads, Stoke game....

I was delighted when Pulis left Stoke , can't stand the baseball cap wearing dick, however I would probably prefer he was still there just for this one game, at least with him there you could guarantee zero attacking intent from them and be comfortable in the fact that we would dominate the game albeit probably fluffing our lines in front of goal, there is just that element of the unknown with Hughes at the helm now, I'm not too sure what to expect from them now!

Unpredictable is what to expect. Pulis managed some unimaginative football but in fairness Stoke were hard to beat. Hughes has lasted little more than a year in his last three jobs so I wouldnt be expecting too much from Stoke this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was an eight week period late Dec to late Feb that season that blew the league.

Just looking at that thread again - a story linked that Rafa turned down the chance to buy Aguero for 15m in the summer 2008.

Ah well. We got Keane :)

• Advertisement

I'm sure it makes sense in your head anyhow.

It does, basically , I'm old enough to remember us winning leagues on a more than regular basis. That's what I want to get back to and being deemed as success, not finishing bloody 2nd behind Utd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement