Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

mike65 wrote: »
    It was an eight week period late Dec to late Feb that season that blew the league.

Just looking at that thread again - a story linked that Rafa turned down the chance to buy Aguero for 15m in the summer 2008.

Ah well. We got Keane :)

did you even read that article :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

redzerdrog wrote: »
    did you even read that article :rolleyes:

:o The danger of skimming, still interesting that he passed. Crouchie was always a fans favourite.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

cson wrote: »
    Have you not learned your lesson about buying off that lot after Didier Baptiste?

I don't recall signing Baptiste? We signed Monday Bandele and Luis Amore Rodriguez. We have our own Linda Block too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ok lads, Stoke game....

I was delighted when Pulis left Stoke , can't stand the baseball cap wearing dick, however I would probably prefer he was still there just for this one game, at least with him there you could guarantee zero attacking intent from them and be comfortable in the fact that we would dominate the game albeit probably fluffing our lines in front of goal, there is just that element of the unknown with Hughes at the helm now, I'm not too sure what to expect from them now!

They are like us last season, implamenting a new style and worse for them its chalk and cheese to what pulis used. They should be easy pickings and nothing less then a win is acceptable.

Cant go any worse then west brom last year thats for sure :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

djPSB wrote: »
    Spotted this in the fantasy football thread.

Nice insight on how Stoke will play on Saturday.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85937848&postcount=205
    If Stoke come out and try to play football, we will demolish them.

• Advertisement

:o The danger of skimming, still interesting that he passed. Crouchie was always a fans favourite.

not really managers pass up on chances to sign players all the time just coz he was available doesn't mean feck all tbh, it not as if a deal was set up and he pulled out of it.

also in 2006 €18,000,000 was a lot of dough to be risking on an unproven 18year old south american

Sure didn't Phil Thompson allegedly talk Houllier out of signing Ronaldo for 4m only for him to sign for utd 6 months later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

This Is Anfield ‏@thisisanfield 17m
    Liverpool will receive £8million for Stewart Downing from West Ham (Sky Sports).
    Retweeted by Paul Tomkins

8 million!? Il take that thank you.

But for the love of god we need to sign some quality that will go straight into that position now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

8m. That's four Astus.

Or four Cissokos on loan. Then think of the wages! SAVED WAGES!

£8m for Downing is good tbh, but obviously as Joe says quality needs to injected in asap

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It was an eight week period late Dec to late Feb that season that blew the league.

Just looking at that thread again - a story linked that Rafa turned down the chance to buy Aguero for 15m in the summer 2008.

Ah well. We got Keane :)

We went through a dodgy spell, true. Pity it was his fault when it went badly though, but no credit due when he got it right. Sounds like something you decry as unreasonable in others now, and we are not even near the position we were then.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    It does, basically , I'm old enough to remember us winning leagues on a more than regular basis. That's what I want to get back to and being deemed as success, not finishing bloody 2nd behind Utd.

I also remember us winning leagues. The 1987/88 season was some of the finest football I can remember, and Barnes and Beardsley 2 of my favourite players. There is no point harking back to the days when second was a disappointment. It's a different sport now practically, especially off the field, and getting second now would be a huge achievement, although it would be always accompanied by those that moan and wonder why we weren't perfect in every game and didn't get first.
    klose wrote: »
    They are like us last season, implamenting a new style and worse for them its chalk and cheese to what pulis used. They should be easy pickings and nothit2ng less then a win is acceptable.

Cant go any worse then west brom last year thats for sure :pac:

West Brom 2 seasons ago was worse, managed by the face rubber himself, as was Wigan, as gutless a performance as I've seen. At least the bad West Brom performance last season I could console myself with the fact that I was at home, and not facing a miserable journey back after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

So how much have we spent now?

There should be BIG money for a top attacking player!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

26m + wages for carroll, downing and cole

Thank you big sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Big Sam has to be an LFC fan.

We must be about £10m or so positive spend this summer not including wages for reina/carra etc which would probably double that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I don't recall signing Baptiste? We signed Monday Bandele and Luis Amore Rodriguez. We have our own Linda Block too!

"172 Premiership goals; BOSH! I've been Karl Fletcher, you've been a waste of space"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Speaking of Karl. We should sign Karl Fletcher.

And let's get Lynda Block to replace Ayre :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

5starpool wrote: »
    We went through a dodgy spell, true. Pity it was his fault when it went badly though, but no credit due when he got it right. Sounds like something you decry as unreasonable in others now, and we are not even near the position we were then.

I was thrilled with the football played from the Real Madrid ties to the end of the season and said so, indeed I have referenced that spell of "football with the handbrake off" many a time since as indicating what could have been achieved had Rafa been a little less conservative in the league and bit more swashbuckling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

And let's get Lynda Block to replace Ayre :D

I'd rather Lynda Block replaced me mot, but each to their own!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Saved wages is the new net spend? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Seems to be quite a few happy dances going on with every player that leaves these days. Dont get it myself.

How many have come in and how many have left since this was said 4/5 weeks ago?

"What's important over the next three to five weeks is improving the team".

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    Seems to be quite a few happy dances going on with every player that leaves these days. Dont get it myself.

How many have come in and how many have left since this was said 4/5 weeks ago?

"What's important over the next three to five weeks is improving the team".

Has anybody left you would have rather kept?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hagar the Nice.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Celtic are comfortably the best opposition faced in preseason. And they would be relegated from the premiership
    Can you possibly shove your post on this page as its one of the funniest I've read in years.:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056102387&page=307

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I'd have kept downing and reina on a perfect world where wages aren't an issue

Can you possibly shove your post on this page as its one of the funniest I've read in years.:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056102387&page=307

Was it? You need to get out sit in more

Its not about sales really, any dope of a club can sell players, we have been in that much of a panic to fk players out the exits we almost lost Henderson for 2m. Its about bringing players in. On that front, its a wilderness. When you bring in what you want, then you sell. You dont leap from the blocks to sign 'squad players', then claim you have to improve the team, and then follow that up with yet more departures and no arrivals.

League starts in 5 days and best player not even remotely interested, thats where the club is at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Its not about sales really, any dope of a club can sell players, we have been in that much of a panic to fk players out the exits we almost lost Henderson for 2m. Its about bringing players in. On that front, its a wilderness. When you bring in what you want, then you sell. You dont leap from the blocks to sign 'squad players', then claim you have to improve the team, and then follow that up with yet more departures and no arrivals.

League starts in 5 days and best player not even remotely interested, thats where the club is at.

It's so ****ing incredibly depressing. Made all the worse by a lot of people pretending it ain't that bad :(

I agree, the team is short about 4 quality players, too many squad players been signed over the last while. We need to start signing first team players. In fairness, some our last few signings have been good(Sturridge, coutihno, toure & mignolet), but we are still we short of the pack

In fairness, some our last few signings have been good(Sturridge, coutihno, toure & mignolet), but we are still we short of the pack

Toure & Mignolet have literally played zero competitive games for Liverpool?! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

This thread should be renamed the "wages" thread cos its all im reading about for the last 2 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Actually do many others rate Henderson like I do? Think he's coming along nicely

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Toure & Mignolet have literally played zero competitive games for Liverpool?! :confused:

No sh*t!
    So I cant judge them then, no? Calling them good premiership players is just ridiculous!

No sh*t!
    So I cant judge them then, no? Calling them good premiership players is just ridiculous!

Toure is in his thirties & has barely played in the last couple of seasons? :confused:

El Spearo wrote: »
    Actually do many others rate Henderson like I do? Think he's coming along nicely

On current squad he should be in the team imo.

If a better player comes in fair enough but I fear he won't be used too much as Wavi will be picked by the manager more often than not

Toure was brought is as cover I would hope, similar to Carra last year.Can do a job if needed.

A top CB is needed to play alongside D'Agger

Bit like Kuyt for me, doesn't always do the extravagant, but we play better with him, in my noinipo.

Could do with adding some goals, so hopefully we'll get 8 or so out of him this season.

• Advertisement

Toure is in his thirties & has barely played in the last couple of seasons? :confused:

We needed an experienced head in our defense, Kolo will be a strong character in our defensive set up, which will help those around him that are prone to an error or two. As somebody we paid nothing for, i think he is a good signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

He's a victim of his price tag. Decent young player but not worth half what we paid for him.

Has a tendency to go missing in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Is it reasonable to assume that Bale, Rooney and Suarez are all in the same position, they want to leave and join a new club and their managers have ignored their demands and are freezing them out at the moment, only difference is that Luis has a big mouth, whereas Rooney and Bale are keeping stum

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Was it? You need to get out sit in more
    I do sit in,I sit in watching us beat Liverpool with 8 players 20 or under,6 of them being reserve regs,I watch us winning v Barcelona,Spartak Moscow,Lyon,Juventus,Man Utd,Shakter Donetzk,Ajax,and countless other top European clubs over the years,would any other mid table EPL club manage that,no I don't think so,and that's with us (Celtic) with £2 million a year from winning the SPL and over a million from TV rights.
    We get our main income from the CL games,God knows how good we'd be if we did get into the EPL,it won't happen quite simply because we would be a top 8 club within 3 years and top 4 within 6 years,that's why England keeps us out.
    Having said that,I'm happy to see us stay in Scotland,I've always been proud that we were the first ever club from the northern hemisphere to win the European Cup,that will always stay with me.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Toure was brought is as cover I would hope, similar to Carra last year.Can do a job if needed.

A top CB is needed to play alongside D'Agger

I suspect that may have been the case. However with other targets seemingly falling through, Rodgers has somewhat changed the narrative & proceeded to talk Toure up big time. I think Toure will be our first choice CB alongside Agger this season.

As a back 3rd/4th choice player, it was a decent free transfer. As a first choice CB, it's not.

• Advertisement

I agree, the team is short about 4 quality players, too many squad players been signed over the last while. We need to start signing first team players. In fairness, some our last few signings have been good(Sturridge, coutihno, toure & mignolet), but we are still we short of the pack

Sturridge and Mignolet were absolute necessities, what kind of club goes around saying "we got away with it" re not having another striker?, and we know now Mignolet was a like for like replacement. Toure hasnt played much in 2 years and was unwanted by his club. Coutinho has been very good.

But has the summer addressed our problems?. Not even close. Club is running on fumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Owen,James & McManaman all think Liverpool will finish 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I do sit in,I sit in watching us beat Liverpool with 8 players 20 or under,6 of them being reserve regs,I watch us winning v Barcelona,Spartak Moscow,Lyon,Juventus,Man Utd,Shakter Donetzk,Ajax,and countless other top European clubs over the years,would any other mid table EPL club manage that,no I don't think so,and that's with us (Celtic) with £2 million a year from winning the SPL and over a million from TV rights.
    We get our main income from the CL games,God knows how good we'd be if we did get into the EPL,it won't happen quite simply because we would be a top 8 club within 3 years and top 4 within 6 years,that's why England keeps us out.
    Having said that,I'm happy to see us stay in Scotland,I've always been proud that we were the first ever club from the northern hemisphere to win the European Cup,that will always stay with me.

How many teams from outside the northern hemisphere have won the European Cup? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

MD1990 wrote: »

Very doubtful. However if spurs dont make it this season they never will and if arsenal dont who knows what will happen to em? Will they fall of a cliff like us or bounce back, will be interesting to see what happens this season certainly the most open season on paper in a long while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Didn't you say during our best league season in modern times that we should sack our La Liga winning, Uefa Cup winning, FA Cup winning & Champions League winning manager?

Don't you always trot this shíte out to anyone who calls you out on your hypocrisy?

Benitez had his shot, get over it.

jenno86 wrote: »
    How many teams from outside the northern hemisphere have won the European Cup? :confused:

That would be zero Jenno, unless you are a delusional Celtic Fan, who actually believes that the Old Firm are the two biggest football clubs in the world, that is if they were allowed (as is their God given right) to play in the EPL, or La Liga, Serie A or possibly even the Copa del America, that they would win the lot, rather than the reality of having to play Stenhousemuir away on a Sunday morning. :D

Ardent wrote: »
    Don't you always trot this shíte out to anyone who calls you out on your hypocrisy?

I'm actually pretty sure I was confusing him with you! :eek:

jenno86 wrote: »
    My mistook I should have said we were the first club from the northern hemisphere to have won it.:D

Ardent wrote: »

Having time to look back on things do you still think you were right in constantly calling for Benitez's head? Do you think it was the right call?

MD1990 wrote: »

To be very smart, I could not give a toss what Judas thinks, James possibly and Macca will be hoping Everton finish above us ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement