Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

mada999 wrote: »
    do ya's think we should get Agger to throw Suarez out a windowz?

:D
    Daemonic wrote: »
    Ahhh, Meltdown Monday, you didn't disappoint afterall :D

We got there in the end. Congrats everyone. Good job, good effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

RasTa wrote: »
    This type of posts baffles me, I don't understand how your not going mental considering the state you are in and what has happened over the summer.

You've gone from 2nd in 08-09 to finishing

7th
    6th
    8th
    7th

Not having a go at you personally but it's not a time for hypothetical siutations

With a name like rasta I would expect you to be more chilled:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Fair point but a large portion of this thread has become farcical with people singling out others for viewpoints and it gets tired and repetitive. We're not going to sign two or three first team players between now and deadline day nor do I expect us to challenge for CL at minimum with our current squad. Would rather discuss one realistic player who would make a big difference to the team then talk ad nauseum about any of the following:

Suarez
    Rafa
    Net Spend
    Wage Trimming
    Petit sniping at particular posters

Not the time for hypothetical situations, fair point, however, I'd take posts looking for sensible input over the nonsense that's crept/lept into this thread. (I'm more of a reader then a poster in here).

7th
    6th
    8th
    7th

Do you think you are going to break that cycle this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Doni has retired from football due to heart problems YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

7th
    6th
    8th
    7th

I expect to finish sixth this year at best with the squad we have at present. Spurs strengthened well and will battle it out with Arsenal and United for third and fourth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I miss Rafa.

daithijjj wrote: »
    The team 'improved' last year because it had Suarez and Gerrard available for a huge amount of time compared to the previous season, it equated to 26/7 full league games in terms of minutes. Pull those players out of Brendan's team last year and how do you think we would have done?.

*COUGH* best-player-in-the-league-Lucas *COUGH*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

*COUGH* best-player-in-the-league-Lucas *COUGH*

Lozenge??

Lozenge??

Lozenge Lucas Leiva is it? May as well stick with some alliteration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Lozenge??

i was wondering what you sig was and I typed it into google,

http://www.pof.com/member57365705.htm

is that you conchords_777

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Doni has retired from football due to heart problems YNWA

His <3 was simply too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bat**** crazy, but I'd love us to throw in a sneaky 20million bid for Kagawa seeing as there are doubts over his career at Utd.

Sturridge up top with Coutinho left, Kagawa centre and Suarez right would be just incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Bat**** crazy, but I'd love us to throw in a sneaky 20million bid for Kagawa seeing as there are doubts over his career at Utd.

Sturridge up top with Coutinho left, Kagawa centre and Suarez right would be just incredible.

That would be one of the most pointless bids in the world tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

event wrote: »
    That would be one of the most pointless bids in the world tbh

No, United would love to sell a really talented, reasonably young player to their biggest rivals for a similar amount to what they paid for him when he is on the verge of becoming first choice and they could get about 10m more than that from another team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If it took 30 it'd still be worth it.

True though, impossible. Just an idle thought really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

7th
    6th
    8th
    7th

No would be a reasonable answer.....i think 6th is where we are at, at the moment and maybe for some time.....if we dont sign any first 11 quality before the window then i'd have no confidence in the owners going forward.........they are tasked with getting back into Europe and beyond but there seems to be no intent from them. We are playing catch up, we got rid of a lot of the players being overpaid/underacheiving but have put very little back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If we're lucky we'll get 5th, anything above that with our current squad would be a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

NukaCola wrote: »
    No would be a reasonable answer.....i think 6th is where we are at, at the moment and maybe for some time.....if we dont sign any first 11 quality before the window then i'd have no confidence in the owners going forward.........they are tasked with getting back into Europe and beyond but there seems to be no intent from them. We are playing catch up, we got rid of a lot of the players being overpaid/underacheiving but have put very little back in

It's not just about spending big, it's about spending right and I think your owners recognise that after the Kenny fiasco. I would question them more if they were just throwing money at it.

They look at a successful club like Dortmund who assembled a good team without breaking the bank and recognise that it's the right coach and player that brings success, not just oodles of money. You don't have to spend 50 million to get a great player. It's worth remember that United bought Ronaldo for 12 million.

Just because a club doesn't sign a marquee name doesn't mean he wont have an impact. Most people on here didn't know who Coutinho was and yet most would now agree he was a good purchase and improves the team a lot. If you sign nobody else before the end of the window....yeah it was a mediocre window. But there is still time left and it's more important to get the right players than to waste it on a donkey with a pony tail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Kirby wrote: »
    It's not just about spending big, it's about spending right and I think your owners recognise that after the Kenny fiasco. I would question them more if they were just throwing money at it.

They look at a successful club like Dortmund who assembled a good team without breaking the bank and recognise that it's the right coach and player that brings success, not just oodles of money. You don't have to spend 50 million to get a great player. It's worth remember that United bought Ronaldo for 12 million.

Just because a club doesn't sign a marquee name doesn't mean he wont have an impact. Most people on here didn't know who Coutinho was and yet most would now agree he was a good purchase and improves the team a lot. If you sign nobody else before the end of the window....yeah it was a mediocre window. But there is still time left and it's more important to get the right players than to waste it on a donkey with a pony tail.

I'd rather be/have a donkey with a pony tail than be an Andy Carroll with a donkey tail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

~Rebel~ wrote: »

So we spend huge money on a player who's no better (albeit different)than our current best #10, Coutinho?

No, we need a wide attacker. I hear that Nani fellow is available.

:ducks:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Looks like the Downing Deal is Done.
    Billy Liddell (@Liddellpool)
    8/13/13, 10:31 AM
    Downing is set to complete his £6million move from Liverpool to West Ham today. *Liverpool Echo *

Hugh Southon (@hughsouthon)
    8/12/13, 8:00 PM
    Deal done - Downing's our man #coyi #whufc
    Downing set to seal £6m Hammers move

Rodgers cuts his losses again with East Londoners rapidly becoming Reds Flops Reunited

JM100918LFC-16-5696085.jpg

Stewart Downing is set to complete his £6million move from Liverpool to West Ham today.

The winger underwent a medical in the capital yesterday and agreed personal terms with the Hammers after the two clubs struck a deal.

The 29-year-old was hoping to stay and fight for a place in Brendan Rodgers’ side this season. However, after being informed he was surplus to requirements he accepted the opportunity to sign for the Londoners.

Downing made 91 appearances for Liverpool following his arrival from Aston Villa for £20million two years ago. He will be reunited with former Anfield team-mates Andy Carroll and Joe Cole at Upton Park.

Meanwhile, talks are continuing with Granada as Liverpool look to wrap up a deal for left-back Guilherme Siqueira. The Brazilian will cost around £5million.

siqi-5712041.jpg

Stewart Downing’s departure means West Ham United are fast becoming Reds Flops Reunited

Stewart Downing's exit from Anfield represents another painful reminder of Liverpool’s past failings in the transfer market. Two years after the Reds paid Aston Villa £20million for his services, Downing has been off-loaded to West Ham for just £6million.

Another high-profile signing shown the door. Another massive loss for Liverpool Football Club.

Sam Allardyce appears to be collecting Anfield’s cast-offs. In January the Hammers signed Joe Cole, who walked away from Liverpool with a £3million pay-off, and then earlier this summer they bought striker Andy Carroll for £15million – £20million less than the ridiculous fee the Reds handed over to Newcastle in January 2011.

Now Allardyce has found a home for a cut-price Downing. There will be few tears shed among Kopites, many of whom had long since given up on him fulfilling his potential at Anfield.

The 29-year-old did improve significantly in the second half of last season but it wasn’t enough for Brendan Rodgers to mark him down as a guaranteed starter this term.

The arrival of Spaniards Luis Alberto and Iago Aspas, coupled with the pre-season form of teenagers Raheem Sterling and Jordon Ibe, increased competition for places.

The Middlesbrough-born wideman wanted to stay and fight for a shirt, but with the owners unwilling to have someone on £80,000 per week warming the bench he was informed it was time to go.

Ultimately, Downing’s Liverpool career is a tale of what might have been. When he arrived in the summer of 2011 he was hailed as the solution to a long-standing problem. The Reds had been crying out for quality in wide areas for years and Kenny Dalglish thought he was getting a player operating at the peak of his powers.

Downing had swept the board at Villa’s end of season awards. He had been ever present in the Premier League – scoring seven goals and contributing seven assists for a mid-table side.

His last contribution for the Midlands outfit was to hammer the winner past Pepe Reina on the final day of the 2010/11 campaign when he was the game’s standout performer.

However, Downing was never able to replicate that form when he had the liver bird on his chest. He discovered to his cost the fine line between success and failure. On his debut against Sunderland he burst past three challenges before unleashing a 25-yarder which rattled the bar.

How different things may have been if that shot had flown in. As it was his confidence took a battering over the months that followed and, as he struggled to make an impression, his army of critics grew.

Downing admitted that adjusting to the expectation levels at the club had been ‘a culture shock’.

There were occasional highlights such as a man of the match display against Cardiff City in the League Cup final at Wembley, which was followed by a sweetly struck winner in the FA Cup quarter-final against Stoke City. But they were false dawns as Downing finished the 2011/12 season without either a league goal or assist in 36 games.

Last summer he spoke about being ready to kick on and prove his worth. He started promisingly, netting the first goal of Rodgers’ Anfield reign with a long range effort against FC Gomel.

However, after struggling in the opening day defeat at West Brom, he slipped down the pecking order and didn’t start another league game for three months. Sterling, Fabio Borini, Suso and even Oussama Assaidi were picked ahead of him. When he was called upon the £20million winger was used as a makeshift left-back.

“The big challenge for Stewart now is that commitment to the cause to fight because he has the qualities,” Rodgers said at the time. “He has a wonderful left foot but talent alone is not enough. You have to work hard, you have to fight for the shirt.”

In November Rodgers informed Downing he could leave during the January window. If it was a last-ditch attempt from the manager to spark a response then it did the trick. Downing knuckled down and forced his way back into the team.

“I felt like I had nothing to lose back then,” Downing said. “Suddenly, it just clicked.”

Some 17 months after his arrival and at the 45th time of asking, he finally delivered both a Premier League assist and a goal in the 4-0 thrashing of Fulham at Anfield.

A weight appeared to have been lifted off his shoulders and suddenly he was playing with a freedom far removed from the insipid displays fans had grown wearily accustomed to. Right through to May he nailed down a place and appeared to have put talk about his future to bed.

However, during pre-season the doubts resurfaced. Rodgers left him out of the friendlies against Thailand and Olympiacos as he put his faith elsewhere. Ironically, Downing was one of Liverpool’s brighter performers in last week’s final warm-up games against Valerenga and Celtic but by then it was too late.

The decision to sell him had been made with managing director Ian Ayre informing him a bid in excess of £5million would trigger his departure. The feeling inside Anfield was that while he could do a job when required, they didn’t believe he was worth what they were paying him.

Downing will feel he’s been harshly cast aside. That he was belatedly starting to offer a return on Liverpool’s hefty investment.

But as he heads to the capital to link up once again with Carroll and Cole the trio have plenty in common. They all promised much, delivered little and cost the Reds a fortune.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stewart-downing-set-seal-6m-5712027

Dickerty wrote: »
    So we spend huge money on a player who's no better (albeit different)than our current best #10, Coutinho?

No, we need a wide attacker. I hear that Nani fellow is available.

:ducks:

Duck lower.

Duck lower.

NBI4979.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

LFC and Spurs both chasing Willian according to the rags.
    £35M !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

according to wikipedia willian has signed for Liverpool on the 15th august 2013:eek:

Looks like the Downing Deal is Done.

Suggestions last night that the fee could be as high as £8M with add-ons. If so, that's GENIUS. If we sold him and bought Siqueira for less (and saving about 40K a week in wage difference), then someone deserves a pat on the back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

kevthegaff wrote: »
    according to wikipedia willian has signed for Liverpool on the 15th august 2013:eek:

Ya gotta love Wikipedia. I think I might join Liverpool for the season. The cigarettes have me killed tho...

Whats the deal with Siqueira? Is he any good?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    according to a pimple on my ar*e willian has signed for Liverpool on the 15th august 2013:eek:

FYP...

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »

That depends.

Are you anti-Rodgers/Ayre/FSG? If so, he's rubbish and we should be signing Lahm.
    Are you sensible and realistic? If so, he's an upgrade and a very complete LB.

Vicxas wrote: »

Better than any of our Fullbacks. Think Glenjo with a better end product.

The Fact that Real Madrid is in it for him, when they already got Marcelo and Coentrao, speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

That depends.

Are you anti-Rodgers/Ayre/FSG? If so, he's rubbish and we should be signing Lahm.
    Are you sensible and realistic? If so, he's an upgrade and a very complete LB.

Very good,

He is actually a very good left back and definitely an upgrade on Enrique who i dont rate. I just wish we would actually sign some of these players for a change rather than constantly "being linked" whatever that means in the grander scheme of things.

If we actually signed some of these players we are "being linked" with we would be right up there with a great chance for at least the top 4.

Am I the only one that loves Enrique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He's testing my patience going forward lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

No. Enrique loves Enrique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

No, Enrique also loves Enrique.

I actually like Enrique. IMO, he's the Best Defender we have.

Maybe Rodgers has a Different Plan for him? Like playing him as a Winger like Last Season.

I thought that the Glenjo (LB)-Enrique(LW) Combo was Superb. I wouldn't mind if we tried that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Always liked Enrique myself. But he can be a difficult player to like sometimes as like now when he is not totally match ready he can look awful - in full flight though, powerful, athletic and effective - probelm is like last season he had a stinker for a few games, then came back with a bang. Needs to be far more consistent which at this stage of his career looks unlikely ... replacing him was 2nd behind a better CB imo and third behind CM cover for Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Enrique would benefit if he had a winger in front of him or even playing there himself. One thing I noticed at the Celtic game. He had little or no support and no options on the wing.

I actually like Enrique. IMO, he's the Best Defender we have.

Jesus Raif, are you trying to create a melt-down on here?

He is far from our best defender. Agger, Skrtel, Wisdom and Kelly are all better defenders. He gives us balance up the left side, but he's a bit hair-brained in defense sometimes.

I actually think he's reliable enough, I wouldn't have prioritised his replacement over other positions, but if someone like Siqueira is available and we think the competition will push both on, then great.

• Advertisement

According to the rags and the online rags we're in for Willan AND Conteno....

Ambitious if true, but isn't Conteno a LB? How many of them do we need?

Jesus Raif, are you trying to create a melt-down on here?

He is far from our best defender. Agger, Skrtel, Wisdom and Kelly are all better defenders. He gives us balance up the left side, but he's a bit hair-brained in defense sometimes.

I actually think he's reliable enough, I wouldn't have prioritised his replacement over other positions, but if someone like Siqueira is available and we think the competition will push both on, then great.

Like I said, it's just my Opinion.

I for one can't remember any Goals we've Conceded due to Enrique's Fault. Can't say the same for the Others though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

When Enrique first joined, he was a great defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Seems Rodgers is sending Enrique a message what with us being linked with every left back in the known universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Seems Rodgers is sending Enrique a message what with us being linked with every left back in the known universe.

Napoli?

T-K-O wrote: »
    Napoli?

Nah - we have real competition for Johnson with Kelly, and we Robinson out, we do need another LB. And there are always injuries, or tiredness, that requires a change...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I would agree with Raif - he was our most dependable defender last season. He is clueless in the final third, but his ability to retain possession in the defensive third of the pitch when under pressure is unmatched in our squad.

I thought Enrique was one of the positive points from last season.

The season before I had a different opinion of him.

The way we are getting rid of people I wouldn't expect Enrique to stay if we sign another LB. Gotta think of those wages!

Must agree with Raif, I think Enrique is our best defender. I feel much more comfortable when it's him defending. Even if the opposition player gets behind him, how often have we seen Enrique hunt him down, and heave him off the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Surely its unlikely we would be willing to pay £35m for Willian. I think its the rag who are running that story.
    Would be nice though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement