Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

Kess73 wrote: »
    Think one to two first team quality signings would be needed if Suarez stays, and one to two more on top of that if he leaves.

Would agree with this. We are cutting it fine to bring in 2-4 first teamers though before season start :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Is there any update on Sturridges injury. Saw a video of him jogging earlier in the week. Has there been any talk on an expected return to full training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I don't see why it should be

I don't think there are any left available really. Soldado looks Spurs bound, is there many other prolific strikers around at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

delaney001 wrote: »
    Is there any update on Sturridges injury. Saw a video of him jogging earlier in the week. Has there been any talk on an expected return to full training?

Was some talk last week of him possibly being ready for the first or second game of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Pedalstool wrote: »
    I don't think there are any left available really. Soldado looks Spurs bound, is there many other prolific strikers around at the moment?

The alternative could be to go for a very good wing forward or winger rather than an out and out striker.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The alternative could be to go for a very good wing forward or winger rather than an out and out striker.

Who fits that bill in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Quoting myself...
    Looks to be a DM...
    MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 49m

According to Sky Italia, #LFC have contacted Bologna to enquire about midfielder Saphir Taïder.

I know it's Youtube, but I'm really Impressed by how Good he is with the Ball. He's more like a Box-to-Box Midfielder with Good Defensive Skills than a Pure DM to me.

Maybe that's what BR wants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Hasn't Huntelaar just come out and said that he'd like to give the PL a go?

I'd be well up for the idea of getting Soldado and Huntelaar in once Suarez is sold.

• Advertisement

I wonder have Swansea stolen a march on everyone with the signing of Bony?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Of course they have. The guy is an absolute beast that scores goals for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Last night of holiday and annual event of getting new season strip with my boys.

How on hell do I talk my 7yr old out of not getting Suarez on the back?

Nothing's working.

Suarez you prick :p

Bony is very much like Soldado. Someone you have to Plan around to Fit in your Team. They are very much the Prototypical 9s.

I'm with Kess on this one. I think we're better off getting Wing Forwards instead of an Orthodox Striker.

Not to mention, Bony doesn't have much Pace. Not that it has stop Great Strikers from Flourishing, but I really do think that we are more Dangerous when someone with Pace is Spearheading our Attack.

So If we're going to move Sturridge to RW, to accommodate someone at CF, that someone better be Faster than a Cheetah! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Leiva wrote: »
    Last night of holiday and annual event of getting new season strip with my boys.

How on hell do I talk my 7yr old out of not getting Suarez on the back?

Nothing's working.

Suarez you prick :p

Tell the guy in the printers to put 'SAURON' with a '0' for his all seeing eye. Little guy gets upset, you both blame the printer but you get off scot free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I know some people on here would love Bony at the club, but I would be very sceptical about him. He has a great record in Holland but every time i've seen him play he seems to brush defenders aside and use his strength to make space which I don't think would have the same effect in the premiership. Could be very wrong about his impact in the league but I would not have been excited if we signed him. Reminds me of a more composed Emile Heskey.

• Advertisement

Bernard back in the radar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If we were going to sign Eriksen, the deal would have been done by now. Usually, with the players we've signed under Rodgers, the players name is in the press as being linked to us, and within a week he's ours. This hasn't happened with Eriksen, so that leads one to believe that if an interest existed, it's over now.

Ajax (and indeed the player himself) must be surprised by the complete lack of interest considering that Ajax are willing to let him go, his wages demands wouldn't be astronomical and his transfer fee should be quite low.

Bony is very much like Soldado. Someone you have to Plan around to Fit in your Team. They are very much the Prototypical 9s.

I'm with Kess on this one. I think we're better off getting Wing Forwards instead of an Orthodox Striker.

Not to mention, Bony doesn't have much Pace. Not that it has stop Great Strikers from Flourishing, but I really do think that we are more Dangerous when someone with Pace is Spearheading our Attack.

So If we're going to move Sturridge to RW, to accommodate someone at CF, that someone better be Faster than a Cheetah! :D

If we can keep Sturridge fit and motivated, then I think we have Suarez replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If we were going to sign Eriksen, the deal would have been done by now. Usually, with the players we've signed under Rodgers, the players name is in the press as being linked to us, and within a week he's ours. This hasn't happened with Eriksen, so that leads one to believe that if an interest existed, it's over now.

Ajax (and indeed the player himself) must be surprised by the complete lack of interest considering that Ajax are willing to let him go, his wages demands wouldn't be astronomical and his transfer fee should be quite low.

If thats the case, there's no-one on our radar.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

If we can keep Sturridge fit and motivated, then I think we have Suarez replacement.

Maybe, but 1 world class striker is not enough at a team who are looking to push into the top 4.

• Advertisement

I like Sturridge, and he has done well for us, but if he is Suarez replacement, we are ****ed for this season......

NukaCola wrote: »

It's 72hrs since rumoured that the Spurs deal got stalled due to an LFC request:
    "@LFC_360: Liverpool Football Club have offered €30 million to Valencia for Roberto Soldado, according to Football Mercado."

billy2012 wrote: »
    Maybe, but 1 world class striker is not enough at a team who are looking to push into the top 4.

Probably true but then again we don't have any European football to play. I don't think we'll be too stretched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

carlton cole is still available....

:D

retalivity wrote: »
    carlton cole is still available....

:D

The Bony story actually made me think of the summer that he was linked..:o

Probably true but then again we don't have any European football to play. I don't think we'll be too stretched.

Your missing the point. It's about competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

NukaCola wrote: »
    FSG must have cut the radar budget too:D

billy2012 wrote: »
    Your missing the point. It's about competition.

I think you will see the best from Sturridge when he is made to feel number one striker and given the full confidence of the manager. I don't necessarily see him responding well to massive competition.

I think you will see the best from Sturridge when he is made to feel number one striker and given the full confidence of the manager. I don't necessarily see him responding well to massive competition.

There's still question marks can be do it over a full season too don't remember. Leaving him as the main man up front will imo be a huge mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

By the way what's the story with Fellaini, has Moyes not nabbed him yet? Could he be nicked? Class player imo.

• Advertisement

There's still question marks can be do it over a full season too don't remember. Leaving him as the main man up front will imo be a huge mistake.

Yeah, its a big gamble. But their will be question marks over everyone who comes in this window.

It'd be great if Borini could step up to the mark.

I have to agree to an extent. BUT, regardless of how Danny feels about competition, we do need it, especially when you take his injury record into consideration.

I'm not too worried about our Strikers even if Suarez ends up leaving. Between Sturridge and Aspas I think they can Hold the Fort, so to speak. Borini can Chip in as well.

Even our RCB Situation doesn't even Faze me. I have no Problem starting Wisdom there.

It's our RW that I'm more worried about. I just don't want to see Downing on the Starting Sheet.

Like I said, we just need to get Wing Forwards here, before the Window closes.

If we can just get any 2 from below.
    Shaqiri
    Lamela
    Tello
    Sanchez
    Jese
    Bernard

If we manage to get 3? Suarez or no Suarez, I think we'll have a Good Chance on getting CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Hidalgo wrote: »
    If Reina was going into next season as no 1 and Jones as no 2 would there be as much commotion as what has transpired

No because we wouldn't have spent what appears to be a huge chunk of our budget on a keeper.

I'm not too worried about our Strikers even if Suarez ends up leaving. Between Sturridge and Aspas I think they can Hold the Fort, so to speak. Borini can Chip in as well.

Even our RCB Situation doesn't even Faze me. I have no Problem starting Wisdom there.

It's our RW that I'm more worried about. I just don't want to see Downing on the Starting Sheet.

Shaqiri
    Lamela
    Tello
    Sanchez
    Jese
    Bernard

If we manage to get 3? Suarez or no Suarez, I think we'll have a Good Chance on getting CL.

Well Bernard is there for the taking but I'm not sure about him, he is so small and slight.

I can't see Shaqiri leaving Bayern, I think they have big plans for him this season.

The others I'm not sure about.

I have a feeling Sterling might be very very good this season. Looks to have his head in the right place, physically looks better and there is a real sparkle to his play at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Sturridge, Aspas & Borini as our options up front sounds like a lower half/mid-table at best type of option. Challenge for Champions League? Joke.

Shaqiri
    Lamela
    Tello
    Sanchez
    Jese
    Bernard

Not too worried in what regard?

Not too worried we will hold onto 6th/7th place or not too worried that we won't put in a proper challenge to top 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Shaqiri
    Lamela
    Tello
    Sanchez
    Jese
    Bernard

I don't think we have a chance of signing two of those in the next ten years, don't mind the next three weeks!!!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Sturridge, Aspas & Borini as our options up front sounds like a lower half/mid-table at best type of option. Challenge for Champions League? Joke.

Who would you bring in to replace Suarez?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

We need:
    • 1 back up goalkeeper
    • 1 back up left back
    • Ideally sell Skrtlel or Coates and replace them with a better, more reliable centre back capable of playing in the first team
    • A first team right winger/forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

£30m is an awful lot to pay for Soldado. City paid around £20m for Negrado, who is one year younger and scored a similar goals in La Liga last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

£30m is an awful lot to pay for Soldado. City paid around £20m for Negrado, who is one year younger and scored a similar goals in La Liga last year

Wages.

Not too worried in what regard?

Not too worried we will hold onto 6th/7th place or not too worried that we won't put in a proper challenge to top 4?

If we're bringing in Wing Forwards, then Yes, I'm not worried.

You do know that we can Play them in CF right?

Unless you have a Better Plan, then let's hear it.

Leiva wrote: »
    It's 72hrs since rumoured that the Spurs deal got stalled due to an LFC request:

There's rumours and then there's twitter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr Alan wrote: »

Do you really think that the club won't buy a forward player when Suarez leaves?

• Advertisement

Who cares if it's £30m? If he'll score goals that might help us get top 4 it'll be worth it hands down.

To progress to the next level we are going to have to spend big at some stage

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you really think that the club won't buy a forward player when Suarez leaves?

Raif seems to think we'll be grand with no replacement

Wing Forward is not a Forward? News to me. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

You could have made a similar argument (and I most certainly did at the time) that djibril cisse, costing roughly half what drogba did, having scored more the previous season, and being a few years younger, was a far better value signing then drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes, so even if we keep Suarez we should just not play him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement