Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I would agree with Raif - he was our most dependable defender last season. He is clueless in the final third, but his ability to retain possession in the defensive third of the pitch when under pressure is unmatched in our squad.

I think Enrique is an Instinctive Player. The less Time he has to Think with the Ball, the more he is Better.

Just look at those Highlight Reels where he Figured in some of our Best Goals, for some Examples of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

gafferino wrote: »
    Surely its unlikely we would be willing to pay £35m for Willian. I think its the rag who are running that story.
    Would be nice though.

Based on current activity, yes but I see no reason why we cannot generate that kinda money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Dickerty wrote: »
    Nah - we have real competition for Johnson with Kelly, and we Robinson out, we do need another LB. And there are always injuries, or tiredness, that requires a change...

Don't mind me. I'm on auto pilot this morning.

Napoli,
    Net Spend
    Sack everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I would agree with Raif - he was our most dependable defender last season. He is clueless in the final third, but his ability to retain possession in the defensive third of the pitch when under pressure is unmatched in our squad.

Clueless in the final third? I'd say he's nearly more decisive there than in his own half! Was involved in a number of goals last season thanks to good interplay and clever movement around the top left quadrant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Vicxas wrote: »
    According to the rags and the online rags we're in for Willan AND Conteno....

Ambitious if true, but isn't Conteno a LB? How many of them do we need?

I've been backing FSG all summer but the lack of real activity over the last few weeks has me starting to wonder if all this talk of targets is bull put out by the club to let us think we're in for players and just missing out whilst they continue to slash wages.

Pretend to be in for Mkhitaryan and Costa while we had no real chance of getting them.

Now it's Willan and Contento.

Reality is so far we're spending £6m on the likes of Siqueira

Let's see what happens. I hope I am wrong and just jumping the gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    No. Enrique loves Enrique.

tumblr_meg4k1jDg81rmzf0mo1_500.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

KingJamsie wrote: »
    tumblr_meg4k1jDg81rmzf0mo1_500.png

MY EYES! MY BEAUTIFUL EYES!

Will this be Shown?
    Mootaz (@Mootaz_LFC)
    8/12/13, 11:54 PM
    Tomorrow Liverpool are playing Newcastle (Closed Doors). Joao Teixeira and Ryan McLaughling will play for Liverpool's first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

WhatHasBeenSeenCannotBeUnseen-1.jpg

• Advertisement

Will this be Shown?

No, behind closed doors would suggest not!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Bat**** crazy, but I'd love us to throw in a sneaky 20million bid for Kagawa seeing as there are doubts over his career at Utd.

Sturridge up top with Coutinho left, Kagawa centre and Suarez right would be just incredible.

What are they smoking over at the Rebel household?
    Dickerty wrote: »
    That depends.

Are you anti-Rodgers/Ayre/FSG? If so, he's rubbish and we should be signing Lahm.
    Are you sensible and realistic? If so, he's an upgrade and a very complete LB.

No offence, but this type of post is one of the reasons why people deceide to stop posting in these threads. It seems like an aim of the thread is to get the dissenting voices to stop posting. Some of the view of those people can come across as a bit batsh1tty, as unreasonable, as impatient, as petty, but there are overall good points that are there out of concern for the club. We all hope they are wrong. I subscribe to certain elements of their fears, although I still hold a more positive outlook than them. I would argue that these dismissive posts (you are either against us or you are normal type crap) are just making things more entrenched.

I can almost guarantee that if Rodgers leaves at any point this season or next summer (which I hope he doesn't as it means we've had a bad season) and we get in someone more experienced with a track record that Alan/Lloyd/Daithi/jesus_thats_gre and whoever else is on the general thread sh1tlist approves of, they will be given out for not showing the same faith and giving the same time to the previous manager. I would prefer if the first couple of the above especially took a slightly softer line as well as it doesn't help, but I know that isn't going to happen unfortunately.

I don't like all this sniping. This isn't particularly aimed at you Dickerty, just your post. there are only a few people in this thread that anger me on a regular basis (not you at all), but I don't engage with them generally as it would be argumentative and non-constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Must agree with Raif, I think Enrique is our best defender. I feel much more comfortable when it's him defending. Even if the opposition player gets behind him, how often have we seen Enrique hunt him down, and heave him off the ball.

The problem with Enrique is he constantly slows the game down and also has the tendency to get caught defensively, especially with a high ball towards the back post.

Rodgers system allows space on the outside for full backs to bomb into, the problem is Enrique doesnt do that. He rarely takes a player on the outside and is constantly doing his speciality which is that twirly little spiral move with the ball at his left foot constantly bringing the ball back inside, slowing the game down and making it more congested.

Johnson on the other wing has the ability to go on the outside and also when he does come inside he has the ability to play a half decent cross with his weak foot. Enrique doesnt have that ability to dig out a half decent cross with his weak foot yet constantly brings the ball infield on to his weak side and then does his twirly thing to get back to his left essentially completely slowing the game down.

His strength is one on one tight situations where he rarely gets bettered but there needs to be more to a full backs game than that which is why im not surprised we are been linked with left backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    according to wikipedia willian has signed for Liverpool on the 15th august 2013:eek:

That info was added by a contributer who, while not a vandal, has changed spellings from correct to incorrect on wikipedia, and has no history of editing football articles, let alone getting football transfers that have only been mooted correct. Pinch of salt.

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't like all this sniping. This isn't particularly aimed at you Dickerty, just your post. there are only a few people in this thread that anger me on a regular basis (not you at all), but I don't engage with them generally as it would be argumentative and non-constructive.

No issues at all. It was very much tongue-in-cheek, since we usually have two camps, who do not always use facts as a basis for an argument!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Enrique is pretty good defensively, better at defending then attacking for a full back which is rare enough these days untill he plays v ben arfa he is fairly clueless going forward although in saying that he has better stats in assists and goals then compared to johnson whos superb going forward. Wed probably play enrique v better teams a d siqueira v lower teams is the thinking in it perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

the kelt wrote: »
    The problem with Enrique is he constantly slows the game down and also has the tendency to get caught defensively, especially with a high ball towards the back post.

Rodgers system allows space on the outside for full backs to bomb into, the problem is Enrique doesnt do that. He rarely takes a player on the outside and is constantly doing his speciality which is that twirly little spiral move with the ball at his left foot constantly bringing the ball back inside, slowing the game down and making it more congested.

Johnson on the other wing has the ability to go on the outside and also when he does come inside he has the ability to play a half decent cross with his weak foot. Enrique doesnt have that ability to dig out a half decent cross with his weak foot yet constantly brings the ball infield on to his weak side and then does his twirly thing to get back to his left essentially completely slowing the game down.

His strength is one on one tight situations where he rarely gets bettered but there needs to be more to a full backs game than that which is why im not surprised we are been linked with left backs.

I've backed Enrique quite a few times in this forum but I do see the points you are making. The 360 degree turn with the ball glued to his left foot can be annoying and it probably does slow the game down a bit.

However, a full back's primary job is to defend and I think Enrique is one of the best defensive full backs around right now. Strong, pacy, and rarely guilty of making goal conceding mistakes. He is ok going forward and has actually built up a good understanding with the likes of Suarez & Coutinho.

He isn't the best full back in the league (especially going forward) but IMO he is more than capable for us. If we get someone in who is better or who can push him onto greater heights then great. However, it wouldn't have been the biggest priority area for me to resolve. I'd much rather a new CB (Sakho, Papa, etc.) or a new CM (Diame for example).

Enrique is an odd player and frustrating a lot of the time. He can be good, but I am certainly open to the idea of an upgrade on that side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Would be great to get Aurelio mkII, but just not made of glass.

PRAF wrote: »
    I've backed Enrique quite a few times in this forum but I do see the points you are making. The 360 degree turn with the ball glued to his left foot can be annoying and it probably does slow the game down a bit.

However, a full back's primary job is to defend and I think Enrique is one of the best defensive full backs around right now. Strong, pacy, and rarely guilty of making goal conceding mistakes. He is ok going forward and has actually built up a good understanding with the likes of Suarez & Coutinho.

He isn't the best full back in the league (especially going forward) but IMO he is more than capable for us. If we get someone in who is better or who can push him onto greater heights then great. However, it wouldn't have been the biggest priority area for me to resolve. I'd much rather a new CB (Sakho, Papa, etc.) or a new CM (Diame for example).

I agree with everything, except for the Bolded.

We just need to drop Gerrard, when we're up against a Combative Midfield. Play a Midfield 2 of Lucas + Allen/Hendo or just Play all 3.

And yeah, LB is a Non-Priority Position for me. I mean, we can play Glenjo there.

CB, RW and LW are the Positions we should be looking to Strengthen. We need those Straightened Out first, before we begin to sort out the Other Positions.

We just need to drop Gerrard, when we're up against a Combative Midfield. Play a Midfield 2 of Lucas + Allen/Hendo or just Play all 3.

And yeah, LB is a Non-Priority Position for me. I mean, we can play Glenjo there.

CB, RW and LW are the Positions we should be looking to Strengthen. We need those Straightened Out first, before we begin to sort out the Other Positions.

I just think our midfield options are all a bit samey samey. Lucas on top form is very good, but he can be excruciatingly slow at times. Allen & Hendo have good engines (particularly Hendo) but can be bullied off the ball at times. Gerrard is the master as we know, but he can be guilty of falling asleep at times defensively. I just think a big strong, powerful, athlete in the middle will give us an option that we don't currently have. We haven't really has that type since Momo left

If we're not getting another AM, then I see no harm in adding either a new LW or a new RW. I wouldn't prioritise it myself though as I'm confident that between Coutinho, Sterling, Aspas, and Ibe we can get by there for now.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Bat**** crazy, but I'd love us to throw in a sneaky 20million bid for Kagawa seeing as there are doubts over his career at Utd.

Sturridge up top with Coutinho left, Kagawa centre and Suarez right would be just incredible.

#FREESHINJI2K13

G.K. wrote: »
    That info was added by a contributer who, while not a vandal, has changed spellings from correct to incorrect on wikipedia, and has no history of editing football articles, let alone getting football transfers that have only been mooted correct. Pinch of salt.

The 15th of August was a bit of a (dead) giveaway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    #FREESHINJI2K13

Lol'd at that. :D

Dingus son is saying it's official.
    Jack Sullivan ‏@jsullivanwhu 7m
    Stewart Downing is now a #whu player #coyi #westham #liquidfootball #downing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The 15th of August was a bit of a (dead) giveaway

Shush. ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

I'm going to find myself watching alot of Westham next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

This season will be a season of being done over by former players.

Adams for Stoke.
    Shelvey for Swansea.
    The three stooges for West Ham.
    Spearing to knock us out of both cups.
    And Suarez for.....eh nevermind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I just think our midfield options are all a bit samey samey. Lucas on top form is very good, but he can be excruciatingly slow at times. Allen & Hendo have good engines (particularly Hendo) but can be bullied off the ball at times. Gerrard is the master as we know, but he can be guilty of falling asleep at times defensively. I just think a big strong, powerful, athlete in the middle will give us an option that we don't currently have. We haven't really has that type since Momo left

If we're not getting another AM, then I see no harm in adding either a new LW or a new RW. I wouldn't prioritise it myself though as I'm confident that between Coutinho, Sterling, Aspas, and Ibe we can get by there for now.
    You summed up what I thought we needed the last year or two and then read my mind as to who we should sign. Momo hasn't played a lot of football as first choice since he left us so the man himself might not be an option and we need to be careful it's not Salif Diao MKII. Lucas is a very good player at what he does but we had players before like Hamann and Mascher who also done that but brought more to the table in other areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Glenjo is not a lb, also when wisdom or Kelly have to fill in at rb our forward play on the right side is allot more laboured.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    This season will be a season of being done over by former players.

Adams for Stoke.
    Shelvey for Swansea.
    The three stooges for West Ham.
    Spearing to knock us out of both cups.
    And Suarez for.....eh nevermind.

You are very confident that Torres won't score for Chelsea against us, and keep his 100% record intact.

• Advertisement

Looks like Alderweireld is on his way to Spartak Moscow for €7M. Another one to cross off the list.

I've Rewatched abit of our Games recently, specially the 2nd Half of Last Season. And for the most part, our Defense looks like this:

Lucas
    --Agger---Carra

A Triangle of Lucas, Agger and Carragher.

The Problem stems from Lucas having not only to Cover his Part, but to also help out on Gerrard. And that's one a Hell of an Ask. I'm not sure another DM, would have fared any better.

Now, if Lucas fails a Tackle or let the Opposition gets through, then it will be upto the CBs to try and Stop it. And with our CBs on the Backfoot? I'm quite sure we've all seen this before, and how it unfolds.

Lucas is a Good Player, but he can't Stop all the Attacks just by himself. If an Opposition Player passes him, his Midfield Partner should give him Cover. Unfortunately for him/us, that one is Gerrard. And Gerrard just doesn't have the Legs to help him.

This would all Change if the one Partnering Lucas in Midfield is either Allen or Hendo. They don't need to be Defensive Monsters. All they have to do, is help Blunt the Attack, just long enough for the others to get back to our Defensive Shape.

So like I said, if we're going up against a Combative Midfield or a Club that has a Strong Target Striker, we need to drop Gerrard and go with a Midfield of Lucas-Allen/Hendo or use all 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Morzadec wrote: »
    David Peace's new book 'Red or Dead' (kind of Literary Fiction based on Bill Shankly's time at Liverpool) got a rave review in the Guardian today.

I think I'll try pick up a copy as apparently it's excellent especially for football fans. I've read Peace before and he writes very well, if a little unconventionally. As a younger Liverpool fan I actually don't know all that much about Shankly and those years so should be an interesting education.

Link to review here:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/aug/03/red-or-dead-david-peace-review?CMP=twt_fd

I see Radio 4 are serialising the abridged version of Red or Dead over the next two weeks on 'A book at bedtime', at 10.45pm on weeknights.

All episodes can be streamed for seven days after broadcast, the first episode is up now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0383p5r

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Looks like Alderweireld is on his way to Spartak Moscow for €7M. Another one to cross off the list.

Well im glad he wont be at Spurs anyway if that pans out.

Downing officially gone. Best of luck to him

I've Rewatched abit of our Games recently, specially the 2nd Half of Last Season. And for the most part, our Defense looks like this:

Lucas
    --Agger---Carra

A Triangle of Lucas, Agger and Carragher.

The Problem stems from Lucas having not only to Cover his Part, but to also help out on Gerrard. And that's one a Hell of an Ask. I'm not sure another DM, would have fared any better.

Now, if Lucas fails a Tackle or let the Opposition gets through, then it will be upto the CBs to try and Stop it. And with our CBs on the Backfoot? I'm quite sure we've all seen this before, and how it unfolds.

Lucas is a Good Player, but he can't Stop all the Attacks just by himself. If an Opposition Player passes him, his Midfield Partner should give him Cover. Unfortunately for him/us, that one is Gerrard. And Gerrard just doesn't have the Legs to help him.

This would all Change if the one Partnering Lucas in Midfield is either Allen or Hendo. They don't need to be Defensive Monsters. All they have to do, is help Blunt the Attack, just long enough for the others to get back to our Defensive Shape.

So like I said, if we're going up against a Combative Midfield or a Club that has a Strong Target Striker, we need to drop Gerrard and go with a Midfield of Lucas-Allen/Hendo or use all 3.

My fear with Lucas though is that another Southampton might happen. I'll ever forget just how easily their midfield players waltzed past Lucas time and again that day. Ideally you'd have someone who could cover him but wouldn't we be better off having someone better than Lucas so that there is no need to cover him in the first place. He is the DM, he's supposed to be covering Gerrard, not the other way round!

Liverpool Football Club have today confirmed that midfielder Stewart Downing has completed a transfer to Barclays Premier League side West Ham United.

The 29-year-old winger switches to the Hammers after two years with the Reds, following a transfer from Aston Villa during the summer of 2011.

Downing made a total of 91 appearances in Liverpool colours and contributed seven goals.

The England international produced a man-of-the-match performance in winning his only honour with the club, the 2011-12 League Cup.

Everybody at LFC would like to wish Stewart all the best in his future career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Well im glad he wont be at Spurs anyway if that pans out.

We are now at the level where we're happy players aren't joining our "rivals"!

(That was slightly tongue in cheek by the way!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Really hope Downing succeeds at West Ham, he deserves it.

Any player that is told he's not in the managers plans, then goes ahead and forces his way into the 1st team by sheer hard work, determination and a good attitude is more than welcome at LFC.

It has always been a double edged sword with Downing for me, sad to see him go from a sentimental viewpoint, but glad to see it from a footballing perspective.

Fairplay to him, hes getting a move where he will be accepted for what he is at WH. Best of luck to him, YNWA

• Advertisement

Liverpool Football Club have today confirmed that midfielder Stewart Downing has completed a transfer to Barclays Premier League side West Ham United.

The 29-year-old winger switches to the Hammers after two years with the Reds, following a transfer from Aston Villa during the summer of 2011.

Downing made a total of 91 appearances in Liverpool colours and contributed seven goals.

The England international produced a man-of-the-match performance in winning his only honour with the club, the 2011-12 League Cup.

Everybody at LFC would like to wish Stewart all the best in his future career.

We seem to be getting much better at offloading our duds - Carroll, Cole, Aqua, Downing, Spearing, etc all gone in the last year or so.

We also seem to be getting better at buying in good players - Coutinho, Sterling, Mignolet, Toure, Aspas, etc.

However, we badly need another 2 or 3 signings to bolster the first team. C'mon Rodgers & Ayre. Get it done already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

BRi3B-uCIAEF04C.png:large

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Downing, just had an obsession with passing the ball backwards instead of taking on defenders. Ultimately, he wasn't good enough for where we want to be. Should do well at West Ham.

I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

4 days.

djPSB wrote: »
    Downing, just had an obsession with passing the ball backwards instead of taking on defenders. Ultimately, he wasn't good enough for where we want to be. Should do well at West Ham.

I wish him well.

Decent player but just not LFC quality. Hope he does well at West Ham (just not when they play us). I don't think Glenjo will fear playing against him but you never know!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    We are now at the level where we're happy players aren't joining our "rivals"!

(That was slightly tongue in cheek by the way!)

Well yeah I get your point but I think we would always be happy when a good player doesnt join your rivals no matter where we are at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jack Sullivan ‏@jsullivanwhu 7m
    Stewart Downing is now a #whu player #coyi #westham #liquidfootball #downing

#liquidfootball?

Not even Alan Partridge would got that far with Carroll, Cole and Downing :pac:

We seem to be getting much better at offloading our duds - Carroll, Cole, Aqua, Downing, Spearing, etc all gone in the last year or so.

We also seem to be getting better at buying in good players - Coutinho, Sterling, Mignolet, Toure, Aspas, etc.

However, we badly need another 2 or 3 signings to bolster the first team. C'mon Rodgers & Ayre. Get it done already!!

It's a bit early to be that positive. Of the 5 players you have named as good incoming players, 3 have not played a competitive match for us, and we signed one at 15, so hardly in the same category. What is does say is that we have signed cheaper players. Hopefully they all work out, but when the 'bad' ones were signed they were hardly looked at as duds before they had played a competitive game, no matter how overpriced everyone agreed they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Thought you didn't like selling to your rivals ? :pac::D

So, his replacement.

Come on Brendan, show us your new signing........... now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

greendom wrote: »
    Thought you didn't like selling to your rivals ? :pac::D

I see what you did there.

West Ham are far from rivals at this stage. Any team that takes Cole, Carroll, and now Downing, off your hands is pretty much a best mate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement