Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »
    You are very confident that Torres won't score for Chelsea against us, and keep his 100% record intact.

I'd actually forgotten about him....that record actually has to come to an end some time.

Well not has to...but probably will...maybe...if pigs fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

5starpool wrote: »
    It's a bit early to be that positive. Of the 5 players you have named as good incoming players, 3 have not played a competitive match for us, and we signed one at 15, so hardly in the same category. What is does say is that we have signed cheaper players. Hopefully they all work out, but when the 'bad' ones were signed they were hardly looked at as duds before they had played a competitive game, no matter how overpriced everyone agreed they were.

Oops, meant to say Sturridge rather than Sterling!

I get your point about 3 of our signings being untested for Liverpool. I guess we'll see how they do when the league starts. However, the early signs look good as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

PRAF wrote: »
    My fear with Lucas though is that another Southampton might happen. I'll ever forget just how easily their midfield players waltzed past Lucas time and again that day. Ideally you'd have someone who could cover him but wouldn't we be better off having someone better than Lucas so that there is no need to cover him in the first place. He is the DM, he's supposed to be covering Gerrard, not the other way round!

Just because you have a DM in your side, it doesn't mean you can Shirk your Defensive Duties. Everyone needs to put in a Shift.

Not to mention, even the Best DM in the World doesn't Win everything 100%.

As for Southampton, Lucas wasn't the only one who played poorly there. In fact, it was the Whole Team. So I can't Blame him solely for that Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

PRAF wrote: »
    My fear with Lucas though is that another Southampton might happen. I'll ever forget just how easily their midfield players waltzed past Lucas time and again that day. Ideally you'd have someone who could cover him but wouldn't we be better off having someone better than Lucas so that there is no need to cover him in the first place. He is the DM, he's supposed to be covering Gerrard, not the other way round!

If you are taking about the time Southampton beat us, Lucas wasn't playing. :):)
    MY bad...just realsised he came on at half time after we were getting beat up.

TBH we should have a midfielder that is capable of breaking play up and passing the ball out.

Currently we have Lucas breaking play up and Gerrard passing the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

gafferino wrote: »
    Well yeah I get your point but I think we would always be happy when a good player doesnt join your rivals no matter where we are at.

Don't disagree with ya at all there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wasn't Lucas injured against Southampton?

It was Allen's last game before he went for his operation. Was forced into playing as Lucas was out, I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Knex. wrote: »

It was Allen's last game before he went for his operation. Was forced into playing as Lucas was out, I'm sure.

Lucas was injured against City, he limped off at the 3rd minute. bad start to our season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

He came on at half time after we conceded 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just noticed Morzadec's comment about being a younger Red who did not know a lot about Shanks.

Probably the best book to read in order to get a feel for the man's character is Shankly - My Story .

Unlike pretty much every other book about Shanks, the contents of this one came from the man himself as he sat down and gave his own story to John Roberts in the mid 1970's.

The book itself was almost a no go as the club tried to stop it from being published as they did not want some of what Shanks was saying aboutthe behind the scenes to come out.

Well worth anyone's euros though as it paints a very clear picture of the man himself.

If you have never read a book about Shanks, or all you have read are the likes of Stephen F Kelly's book (nota bad book, but pales beside Shanks' own book), then Shankly - My Story is a must for anyone wishing to know more about the man or for anyone who wants to get a feel for the man behind the myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Looks like Alderweireld is on his way to Spartak Moscow for €7M. Another one to cross off the list.

That's a disgustingly low figure :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Vicxas wrote: »
    So, his replacement.

Come on Brendan, show us your new signing........... now!

Hi replacement is Aspas. Its on the left we are looking for someone with Coutinho moving to the middle. Hence links with Willian I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

assuming Siqueira signs...so predictions for the Transfer Window...

1. we sign the absolute minimum 2 players we need for the starting XI before the weekend (ie. CB and in the front 3)

2. we sign them before the end of the window.

3. we sign 1.

4. we sign 1 or 2 more squad players with no immediate, discernible improvement on the first XI.

5. that's it now.

i'm leaning towards between 4 and 5. and i'll be píssed if it's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

D'Agger wrote: »

But what agent fee and what wage. Transfer fee is only a part of the equation.

I don't think he's a big enough improvement on Skrtel (or Touré) to be honest. No surprise that so few clubs are in for him. Would rather hold out for a Papa or similar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Just reading Eriksen's comments on SSN, where hes bigging up Spurs and saying there are no offers in for him.

Why is no-one bidding for this guy, not least of all us?!

The Fact that we're looking at Papa, means that the Transfer Committee is Deadset on a Destroyer for a CB.

Not really. For a dutch team that is a pretty solid fee to get. You are talking about a league that has only four times seen a player get sold for a fee in the 20 million bracket and each of those was a player being bought by a team outside of Holland.

Think the highest transfer between two Dutch clubs is still only in €15 to €16m bracket.

So Ajax getting €7m from Spartak is like a Premiership club selling one of their better defenders for £15m to £20m.

Would love to see us try and sneak in and undermine the deal, but have a horrible feeling that he will be yetanother talented player that goes elsewhere for a fee that is small to average by Premiership standards.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

SlickRic wrote: »

1. we sign the absolute minimum 2 players we need for the starting XI before the weekend (ie. CB and in the front 3)

3. we sign 1.

4. we sign 1 or 2 more squad players with no immediate, discernible improvement on the first XI.

5. that's it now.

Either 3 or 5 I reckon.

3. we sign 1.

5. that's it now.

If it's 4 or 5 we're in trouble. Plain and simple

Or 3

Dickerty wrote: »
    But what agent fee and what wage. Transfer fee is only a part of the equation.

I don't think he's a big enough improvement on Skrtel (or Touré) to be honest. No surprise that so few clubs are in for him. Would rather hold out for a Papa or similar...

Guess Suarez must not be all that as a player either given that only one club has shown any solid interest in him.

Rooney only seems to have one club after him as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Ardent wrote: »
    Just reading Eriksen's comments on SSN, where hes bigging up Spurs and saying there are no offers in for him.

I think they see Coutinho as the better option for this position.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If it's 4 or 5 we're in trouble. Plain and simple

Or 3

Yes, but that contradicts what the club have been saying, so I'm assuming it's option 1.5 - 1 before the weekend (Siquiera) and 1 close to or just after (LM).

The Fact that we're looking at Papa, means that the Transfer Committee is Deadset on a Destroyer for a CB.

Papa is the only CB that we have been linked with that comes somewhat close to matching that description though. Every other CB we have been linked with, be they senior or back up/young has been the type with a very solid mix of qualities.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Guess Suarez must not be all that as a player either given that only one club has shown any solid interest in him.

Rooney only seems to have one club after him as well.

But they are both in the £30M+ bracket, and both with a bit of history/baggage. Hardly a fair comparison.

For that money, there should have been a queue of PL, BL and other clubs lined up. Any thoughts why there wasn't?

We could ask the same of Suarez or many other players that we have sold/tried to sell. Lots of good players simply get to sit on the shelf due to the better clubs already having quality in the same positions, or when there is a lot of similar quality available atthe same time.

Apparently the Crewe academy director Neil Critchley has been offered a role with our U18s. He's one of only 16 FA Elite Coaches in the UK. Another good move after Inglethorpe...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Am I the only one that loves Enrique?

No, the tanning salon and EA loves him too I imagine.
    #liquidfootball?

Not even Alan Partridge would got that far with Carroll, Cole and Downing :pac:

I added that in :)

I think so too. I really hope the club have looked at Kouyate at Anderlecht in that case. Scary good potential, only 23, has captained Anderlecht at some point and desperately wants to play in the EPL.

BR: We're working hard on deals

rodgers263_51deb0e25764b366138471.jpg

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is targeting players to 'come in and improve the team' as hard work continues behind the scenes before the conclusion of the summer transfer window.

The Northern Irishman has added four new faces to his squad ahead of the 2013-14 Barclays Premier League campaign, which kicks off this Saturday, August 17, at home to Stoke City.

Rodgers is hopeful of increasing that number during the next three weeks, though, and has also revealed how further signings could alter Philippe Coutinho's role in the team.

"There's a lot of work going on behind the scenes. Obviously it's not easy," the boss said.

"We have seen that from other clubs' experiences as well. But I'm confident we will add to the team. I don't think there is any doubt that we need that.

"The players that we've brought in have added great depth and support to the team, but I think for us now, that little bit of quality could really set us up for an exciting season.

"Everyone at the club, the recruitment team, the board and ourselves, we are all working hard to make that happen, and hopefully we can.

"There's money there available to get in the right types of players, but we don't want to panic and just bring in anyone. It has to be someone who can come in and improve the team."

Expanding on his plans for Coutinho, Rodgers continued: "No question, Coutinho's best position is the No.10.

"And once we get the right kind of quality to put on the sides, he will play in that central role. That is where he affects the game best.

"At the moment, he has the licence to jump in and come inside - joining in and making passes, and we accommodate defensively when he does that.

"But there is no doubt, his best position is in the middle."

Asked once more for the latest information on Reds forward Luis Suarez, the manager expressed his hope for an amicable resolution to the situation.

"It is something that we have to do everything we can to fix," said Rodgers.

"There has been a lot said and a lot reported, and we have made a stance, as a club and as a manager, of the commitment and the standards required.

"If you don't have that commitment, and those standards, then you won't play. It's as simple as that.

"If we have got to sit and wait, then so be it. But this is a club that has got great values, and we hope that the situation can be resolved amicably, and I am sure it will be.

"There's no problem between me and him, it is quite calm. But obviously I have got to respect the club and the team.

"It doesn't matter who you are, if they're not pulling their weight then they are letting down the club, the city and everyone who has stood by them.

"So until I get that assurance that we are going to get nothing but 100 per cent commitment, then there will be no solution."

Read the Part in Bold.

Coutinho and possibly Luis Alberto will be playing CAM for us. Buying Eriksen will be Redundant at this Point.

And this Quote: "And once we get the right kind of quality to put on the sides, he will play in that central role. That is where he affects the game best.

We're definitely looking to bring in Wingers/Wide Forwards.

But they are both in the £30M+ bracket, and both with a bit of history/baggage. Hardly a fair comparison.

For that money, there should have been a queue of PL, BL and other clubs lined up. Any thoughts why there wasn't?

Where was the big scramble for Coutinho? Or Sturridge?Surely there should have been bigger clubs interested for the prices they went for?

Guys like Lovern, Fer, Bony all came to mid table clubs in England this summer. Where was the scramble?

Like I just said in another post, lots of good players don't get moves to big clubs every year simply because there are more good players than there are big clubs and with the exception of Bayern Munich no club really has a policy of trying to buy up talent to stockpile so their close rivals don't get them.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    No, the tanning salon and EA loves him too I imagine.

I added that in :)

I think so too. I really hope the club have looked at Kouyate at Anderlecht in that case. Scary good potential, only 23, has captained Anderlecht at some point and desperately wants to play in the EPL.

Chelsea have been linked with him a few times :( Beast of a player though, and would love to see him play for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

#liquidfootball?

Not even Alan Partridge would got that far with Carroll, Cole and Downing :pac:

steve-coogan.jpg?1231012182
    That is where you are BANG WRONG. That is the numero one trifecta of quintessential British steel. None of your spicy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

greendom wrote: »
    Thought you didn't like selling to your rivals ? :pac::D

In that case why were ye complaining about selling RVP to United

Where was the big scramble for Coutinho? Or Sturridge?Surely there should have been bigger clubs interested for the prices they went for?

But they were struggling to make their mark where they were, so there was a small risk in them, a lack of long-term performance level to qualify against.
    Guys like Lovern, Fer, Bony all came to mid table clubs in England this summer. Where was the scramble?

But are they good enough to be starters for us? Cause if they aren't, and Toby is at that level, then it matters not! :)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Chelsea have been linked with him a few times :( Beast of a player though, and would love to see him play for Liverpool.

Arsenal as well for the better part of a year as have Dortmund, Leverkusen, Zenit and I think Shaktar. But along with Chelsea. As far as I recall there's been nothing concrete to it but for a bid from Zenit and Arsenal scouts looking at him last year before opting for the most experienced Mertesacker at the time.

Kouyate would add a lot to our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rodgers can talk about "working hard behind the scenes" all he likes, but words are worth nothing if the signings that were promised, and that he said were absolutely needed, don't come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Would love to see us try and sneak in and undermine the deal, but have a horrible feeling that he will be yetanother talented player that goes elsewhere for a fee that is small to average by Premiership standards.

are they in the champions league?
    he's a good player no doubt.
    just don't think he was on the clubs radar.
    i can see a lot of movement after the weekends games don't see much happening by any club before the first games are done and teams have an idea where they are player wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rodgers can talk about "working hard behind the scenes" all he likes, but words are worth nothing if the signings that were promised, and that he said were absolutely needed, don't come in.

"Working hard" is better than "Nothing"

I confident we can bring at least 1 more first team player in, if not ill eat my shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The metro summed it up quite well this morning; West Ham sign two players for £21m, the same players costing us £55m just two years ago. ****ing hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

lfc res 1 - 0 nufc res

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

KingJamsie wrote: »
    lfc res 1 - 0 nufc res

Is that a result? Any more details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Is that a result? Any more details?

#Sturridge apparently missed a penalty and scored from the follow-up. Still 1 - 0 #LFC

still 1st half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Team is apparently.

Ward
    McLaughlin Toure Sama Enrique
    Texiera Lucas
    Alberto Coutinho
    Aspas Sturridge

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The metro summed it up quite well this morning; West Ham sign two players for £21m, the same players costing us £55m just two years ago. ****ing hell.

So the metro managed to add 15 and 6 fair play! Everyone already knows we fcuked it up 2 years ago, we need to move on from it now!

But they were struggling to make their mark where they were, so there was a small risk in them, a lack of long-term performance level to qualify against.

But are they good enough to be starters for us? Cause if they aren't, and Toby is at that level, then it matters not! :)

Makes very little sense. So Coutinho and Sturridge are worth the risk despite struggling to make their mark at their previous clubs, but guys who were doing well at their previous clubs are more questionable in terms of being good enough to start for us?

As for those I named being good enough to be starters for us, yes I think they would have been, but then again we have been a midtable club for four seasons now so it would not take a really massive jump in quality to replace many of the players who we have had earning those midtable finishes.

Our midfield is very average as a unit regardless of who is used in CM imho, our defence only has two quality players in it at present with the rest being a mix of cover/youth/decent, and it is only in attack where we look like a top four contending team in terms of quality and depth (that is of course including Suarez).

So the metro managed to add 15 and 6 fair play! Everyone already knows we fcuked it up 2 years ago, we need to move on from it now!

Am actually quite impressed at the Metro managing to add 15 and 6 to make 21. There was a time when they would have gotten 87.25. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Am actually quite impressed at the Metro managing to add 15 and 6 to make 21. There was a time when they would have gotten 87.25. :D

We could do with some creative accounting like that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

We were off our bin to spend £20m on Stew. Still, I wish him well.

woodyg wrote: »
    are they in the champions league?
    he's a good player no doubt.
    just don't think he was on the clubs radar.
    i can see a lot of movement after the weekends games don't see much happening by any club before the first games are done and teams have an idea where they are player wise

Europa league qualifiers. They play St Gallen next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We were off our bin to spend £20m on Stew. Still, I wish him well.

In total....how many posts will point out the irony of this post? :pac:

Gonna go with 8 myself.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

opr wrote: »
    Team is apparently.

Ward
    McLaughlin Toure Sama Enrique
    Texiera Lucas
    Alberto Coutinho
    Aspas Sturridge

Opr

That's close to the team I would love to see against Notts County, perhaps with added Ibe instead of Sturridge.

Looks like a different system is being tried out in the front line anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Rodgers confirming what I said on here weeks ago - the number 10 role is probably already filled by Coutinho and Alberto. Considering the fact that we bid for Mkhitaryan (whose natural position is no. 10) - it seems to me that Rodgers has seen enough from Coutinho in his pre-season to justify his thoughts. Coutinho occupying this position also makes Eriksen redundant - even if we paid the money for him, he won't sit on the bench to play second fiddle to Coutinho.

For the front three, we need 6 decent options. We currently have...

Suarez
    Sturridge
    Sterling
    Ibe
    Aspas
    Borini

Rodgers saying if we don't get another player who will play in the front three, then Coutinho will go back to playing wide left.

If you ask me, I think the wide left replacement has to be the absolute priority. With Suarez on the way out, we are potentially stuck with just Sturridge as being the only player with proven Premier League experience. I guess that is why we tried to sign Costa.

I know people go on about the CB situation, but honest, if we had to start with Toure and Agger, I would be fine with that. From pre-season, they appear to complement each other quite nicely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement