Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Crewe Alex academy director Neil Critchley set to join Liverpool FC

Crewe Alex academy director Neil Critchley is poised to leave the club to join Premier League giants Liverpool.

The 34-year-old, who has been at Gresty Road as a player and a coach for more than two decades, has been offered the chance to become the Anfield club’s under 18s manager.

The Chronicle understands Critchley, who joined the Alex as a primary school youth and went on to make one appearance for the first team before turning to coaching, left Reaseheath for the last time on Friday.

One of just 16 FA Elite Coaches in the country, Critchley is very highly-rated in the game after learning his trade under the guidance of the likes of Dario Gradi and Steve Holland.

Fellow academy director James Collins will stay in charge of the Crewe operation, with a new face expected to be added to the coaching staff in the coming weeks.

Alex manager Steve Davis said: “It looks like Neil is moving on to Liverpool under 18s, he told me he had been approached. I imagine he is considering a fantastic offer and opportunity to go to Liverpool.

“He will be a great loss to us because he is a great lad, and a great servant to the club. He has done a brilliant job with the young players who have come through. I’ve a lot of time and respect for Neil and we all wish him well.

“It is not a negative thing, it is a real positive that one of our bright young coaches is considered by Brendan Rodgers.

“You look at our record, what we have produced and what we have sold over the past year, three top players, and that is all down to the standard of the coaches.

“That’s why we are the academy we are, we have a lot of fantastic coaches, a lot of ex-players. Neil has been very loyal and been developed himself. That doesn’t go unnoticed, if a club is selling players for millions of pounds there is a reason for that. There is obviously some quality people involved in that process and Neil is one of them.

“For him to get noticed by one of the top clubs in the country is of great benefit to us, it shows where the academy is.”

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/crewe-alex-fc/2013/08/13/crewe-alex-academy-director-neil-critchley-set-to-join-liverpool-fc-96135-33722413/

We're really bolstering the Academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Papa has been linked with City alot recently :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

billy2012 wrote: »
    Papa has been linked with City alot recently :(:(

It's only Smoke.
    Greek Football ‏@greekfooty 5m
    Until Kyriakos Papadopoulos feels confident that he is fit enough to successfully undergo a medical (now he isn't) there will only be smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Second half. Kelly at CB with Sama. McLaughlin and Flanagan at LB and RB. Henderson with Alberto in the middle. Teixera behind Sturridge, Borini and Ibe as the front three.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

31841_105625862820024_4096299_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Kess73 wrote: »
    Where was the big scramble for Coutinho? Or Sturridge?Surely there should have been bigger clubs interested for the prices they went for?

Guys like Lovern, Fer, Bony all came to mid table clubs in England this summer. Where was the scramble?

Like I just said in another post, lots of good players don't get moves to big clubs every year simply because there are more good players than there are big clubs and with the exception of Bayern Munich no club really has a policy of trying to buy up talent to stockpile so their close rivals don't get them.

We couldnt say for certain that either Coutinho or Sturridge would get into a top european side. They might develop to that level. Coutinho might reach that level this season
    The problem then is all the big teams will come a calling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

opr wrote: »
    Team is apparently.

Ward
    McLaughlin Toure Sama Enrique
    Texiera Lucas
    Alberto Coutinho
    Aspas Sturridge

Opr

Ha! Initially I read that as Opr playing up front by himself in that formation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Spurs back in for Atsu.....replacement for Bale?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On Coutinho, I reckon it will take a really standout season for him to want to leave next summer. As said above, while promising he hasn't performed consistently well in a top leage for a season yet. He did well in bits at Inter, did pretty well in his loan (half a season wasn't it?) in Spain, and mostly very well for us since Jan with some games where he was anonymous as well.

If we still continue to stutter but he is a shining light, I reckon summer 2015 he will be off, and he will still only be 23 then, but no point worrying about that yet. Lets hope that he doesn't get the opportunity to get frustrated as we make progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

SlickRic wrote: »
    assuming Siqueira signs...so predictions for the Transfer Window...

1. we sign the absolute minimum 2 players we need for the starting XI before the weekend (ie. CB and in the front 3)

2. we sign them before the end of the window.

3. we sign 1.

4. we sign 1 or 2 more squad players with no immediate, discernible improvement on the first XI.

5. that's it now.

i'm leaning towards between 4 and 5. and i'll be píssed if it's the case.

I don't consider CB a priority unless Skrtel or, god forbid, Agger are sold. Even if Coates leaves, we have Kelly and Wisdom as 4th choice CBs. We could do with one, sure. It's not a major concern though.

Given Rodgers' comments on Coutinho playing central, I think we'll prioritise looking to bring in a left-sided attacker, and with Downing now gone I reckon the likes of Muniain and Konoplyanka will be sought after.

LB I think we'll bring in Cissokho. I'm not taking Sequeira for granted given the interest elsewhere in his services. Stories abound of us being 'close', 'looking to seal' a deal etc. for Sequeira. That doesn't mean he's actually about to sign. It means interest is solid and is ongoing but is behind closed doors. I don't take the Contento story seriously. The Express is where I first read it, and while there were quotes backing up most of the story none of them applied to Liverpool. I reckon the club were mentioned purely because a Liverpool transfer story means hits.

I think a bid of ~£35m from abroad for Suarez will see him sold regardless of replacements so long as we replace Downing, though a loan from Real may be part of a deal with them I would say. We'll be talking about 'the Suarez money' between now and January.

• Advertisement

gafferino wrote: »

Replace a €100m player with a €3m player? Not sure that would go down well.

You could buy a couple of Portuguese clubs for €100m probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Stream for the Liverpool v Newcaste game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

gafferino wrote: »

It's that like replacing Kerrygold with Tesco Value Dairy Spread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Didn't realise we had a game today, that would explain why the under-21's were so weak yesterday. I take it there's no streams? Would love to see how the likes of McLaughlin, Teixeira and Sama got on playing with the big boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I see there was no mention of Coates or Skrtel in that game. Are they injured, or are they busy looking for new clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Is Sterling on U-21 duty?

I see there was no mention of Coates or Skrtel in that game. Are they injured, or are they busy looking for new clubs?

International duty I'd say. I know Coates is in Japan anyway, and I assume Slovakia have a game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Dickerty wrote: »
    It's that like replacing Kerrygold with Tesco Value Dairy Spread?

Bale would be butter than Kerrygold.

I can't believe you made that joke. What a (s)dork.

Agreed. I can't believe he's not better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Question,

Whats the point in having a behind closed doors game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Vicxas wrote: »
    Question,

Luis Alberto 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Alberto has scored the second

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Luis Alberto 2-0

Not sure that's a good answer, but....YAY!

Someone who's watching (through a fence I guess) has tweeted that McLaughlin has had Obertan in his pocket all game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Question,

Just a relaxed friendly id imagine, united playes betis last week too I think, they are fairly common

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Question,

So they can play without the hindrance of chaffing kits, obviously!

Sturridge peno 3-0!

Question,

Presumably far easier to arrange. No ticketing, policing or any of the other hassle that goes along with actually organising a professional football match, while still getting the benefits of an actual game against similar level opposition.

3-0, Sturridge Pen.

Looks like a strong enough Toon team as well - Tiote, Obertan, Taylor, Krul, Ben Arfa, Anita...

• Advertisement

Now 3-1 - GODDAMIT!

Sack EVERYONEEEE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Picture of the game from Stalag Luft 11

BRjPUSpCMAAXoOI.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Door looks open to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Newcastle are defending very strangly judging by that pic

Door looks open to me?

It said "behind closed doors", suggesting plural doors, but not necessarily ALL the doors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have the 'toon fielded a decent strength squad?

• Advertisement

BRjXK8DCYAEIDSE.jpg

'the lads'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

BRjXK8DCYAEIDSE.jpg

'the lads'

ISqvjEi.gif

Hello Carroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have the 'toon fielded a decent strength squad?

Whatever about the Newcastle team, the whole point was to give Sturridge a decent chance to sharpen up before Stoke and it sounds like he is ready to go.
    But yes it would be good to have the Toon 11 and subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Downing is an ideal West Ham player.

his only jobs will be to defend, and to lump the ball into the box, with quality not a necessary requirement.

perfect for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

BR: "So Listen Sam, I have this lad who'd be perfect for you, Coates, Uruguayan lad, tall, decent in the air, you are gonna love him"

Fat Sam: "Just let me grab the chequebook Buck..I´ll be right with you!"

• Advertisement

I am pie wrote: »
    BR: "So Listen Sam, I have this lad who'd be perfect for you, Coates, Uruguayan lad, tall, decent in the air, you are gonna love him"

Fat Sam: "Just let me grab the chequebook Buck..I´ll be right with you!"

"Good English name, that: Coates."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

BRjXK8DCYAEIDSE.jpg
    Awayy the lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Watch West Ham finish above us this season :(

I'm half joking but as things stand currently it wouldn't be hugely surprising to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Mr Alan wrote: »

I'm half joking but as things stand currently it wouldn't be hugely surprising to be honest.

Yes it would be hugely surprising. West ham finishing in the top 8 would definitely be a surprise for me and if we aren't in the top 8 come the end of the season there is no defending Rodgers at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

tok9 wrote: »
    Yes it would be hugely surprising. West ham finishing in the top 8 would definitely be a surprise for me and if we aren't in the top 5 come the end of the season there is no defending Rodgers at all.

Fixed that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

BRjXK8DCYAEIDSE.jpg

'the lads'

So glad they are both West Ham players in this photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

i think in some games we may miss Downing, agree with selling him but i dont doubt that the fullback playing behind him appreciates the hard graft he puts in. Really do wish him well. Hopefully now some real quality to replace him with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Fixed that for you

This is the strongest top 5 in the history of the premier league, no doubt.

At the moment, Arsenal look the 5th strongest team in the league and they are plenty stronger than us.

6th should be our minimum aim.
    5th would be a very good season, it would see us certainly in amongst Spurs/Arsenal to the very end.
    4th would be a great season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Mr Alan wrote: »

The Liverpool owner may be in touch with you, if only to ask what you are smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its amazing the amount of people who will bitch about the Downing syndrome being sold because he was a Kenny signing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement