Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

WHU to finish above us? I reckon they'll be in a Relegation Dogfight.

From the way People are acting up, you would be forgiven for thinking we've given WHU the likes of Suarez, Coutinho and Sturridge and not Carroll, Downing and Joe Cole.

But I'm not the least bit Surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Dickerty wrote: »
    Now 3-1

Ice Creams for everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Ducan Castles saying on Twitter that Barca offered 6m for Agger, the cheek of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

West Ham won't be fighting for relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Ducan Castles saying on Twitter that Barca offered 6m for Agger, the cheek of that!

Most reports have said 15m.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Its amazing the amount of people who will bitch about the Downing syndrome being sold because he was a Kenny signing.

I don't think many will be too upset with players like Downing leaving if they are replaced with quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

WHU to finish above us? I reckon they'll be in a Relegation Dogfight.

From the way People are acting up, you would be forgiven for thinking we've given WHU the likes of Suarez, Coutinho and Sturridge and not Carroll, Downing and Joe Cole.

But I'm not the least bit Surprise.

I'd be surprised if they finished above us but I think Downing and Carroll will both have good seasons.

Unless we add to the squad I reckon Norwich have a good chance to out point us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Its amazing the amount of people who will bitch about the Downing syndrome being sold because he was a Kenny signing.

Necessary??

Twitter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Duncan Castles saying on Twitter that Barca offered 6m for Agger, the cheek of that!

He's been clueless for ages now, just trying to get hits on his Sulia page.

That is like saying Real had bid £15M for Suarez. So ridiculous it doesn't deserve mentioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Selling Downing for £5m-£8m can only be judged by the replacement we bring in and how well he performs.

Downing was a solid squad player who started plenty of matches and had decent statistics under Rodgers, but who contributed little at the business end of the pitch overall. We're selling him just the right side of 30 years old, and have just under 3 weeks to bring in a replacement (assuming Alberto isn't considered his successor) so personally I'm glad he's moved on, because I think we can improve on him. I hope he does well but I hope his replacement does better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

greendom wrote: »
    Thought you didn't like selling to your rivals ? :pac::D
    Knex. wrote: »
    I see what you did there.

West Ham are far from rivals at this stage. Any team that takes Cole, Carroll, and now Downing, off your hands is pretty much a best mate.
    This issue of "who are our rivals" seems to get more and more ego driven every season.

Here is the reality: LFC have finished the last 4 Premier League Seasons in -

7th
    6th
    8th
    6th

That's too consistently average to be an aberration or a couple of poor seasons.

Realistically , this seasons direct rivals will be the likes of Everton, Swansea, West Brom.

Indirect rivals can go 2 ways:

Either a) A strong start to the season sees Liverpool mixing it with the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Man City by Xmas

or

b) A poor start to the season and then mixing it with the likes of big spending Cardiff City, Sunderland, a rejuvenated Newcastle etc in a slug-fest for a top 8 finish.

I think it requires some amount of optimism to state categorically Arsenal are direct rivals and jog on with the West Ham stuff. This is a pivotal season for the Rodgers project and i do believe by the END of the season , that comparison (arsenal to west ham) will be silly after LFC improve again.

Right now, though, 12 points behind Arsenal last season, 15 points ahead of West Ham.

Arsenal, Spurs, Man City and Chelsea are all idealistic rivals for this CL place spot. It will happen, in a few years, but this year it's about improvement. So either 6th with a better points total or 5th has to be the realistic goal. Can't afford another step back season and slide to 8th again.

Make a rod for your own back if you dismiss other mid-table sides who are out spending millions. Of course they don't have the heritage or size of Liverpool but their league finishing positions past few years dictate they have to be viewed as rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

T-K-O wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if they finished above us but I think Downing and Carroll will both have good seasons.

Unless we add to the squad I reckon Norwich have a good chance to out point us

Would be surprised if Norwich finished in the top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Jesus people are awful negative on here.

West Ham and Norwich to potentially finish above us?! Crazy talk imo. Probably as crazy as someone saying we will win the league, if not more.

We're far superior to them. Over the 2nd half of last season we had the best Goal Difference in the whole league and a points tally that would get you into the CL more often than not.

I can understand the doom and gloom in that we look to be 3rd favourites behind Spurs and Arsenal for the 4th CL spot (assuming the top 3 is a lock, which I in fact don't assume), but talk of Norwich and West Ham is ridiculous.

I'd be surprised if we don't reach the 60s (points-wise) this season, and for West Ham or Norwich to do so would be a huge shock and a mammoth achievement for either team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Watch West Ham finish above us this season :(

because they have Downing?

you must be messing. seriously. you have to be.

no?

• Advertisement

Would be surprised if Norwich finished in the top 10.

Prepare yourself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Vicxas wrote: »
    "Working hard" is better than "Nothing"

I confident we can bring at least 1 more first team player in, if not ill eat my shoes.

Eating shoes?

Not quite Lord Trollington territory but will you post the video on youtube?:-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Plenty of the teams that finished below Liverpool have had better transfer windows thus far. I reckon Swansea have as much a chance of getting into Europe as Liverpool do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Norwich have made some good signings, but there was very few stars there to add to, so they have a long way to go. Likewise Southampton.
    West Ham at least already had Noble, Diame, Jarvis, Collison, Collins, Jussi and Cole.

I think Swansea will be the ones to challenge. Shelvey will give them something else from CM. If they can keep Vorm, Williams and Michu, and with Bony adding goals, they could push on again.

Morzadec wrote: »

West Ham and Norwich to potentially finish above us?! Crazy talk imo. Probably as crazy as someone saying we will win the league, if not more.

We're far superior to them. Over the 2nd half of last season we had the best Goal Difference in the whole league and a points tally that would get you into the CL more often than not.

I can understand the doom and gloom in that we look to be 3rd favourites behind Spurs and Arsenal for the 4th CL spot (assuming the top 3 is a lock, which I in fact don't assume), but talk of Norwich and West Ham is ridiculous.

I'd be surprised if we don't reach the 60s (points-wise) this season, and for West Ham or Norwich to do so would be a huge shock and a mammoth achievement for either team

Doom and gloom? Are you for real. I like to think I'm one of the positive guys around here BUT we haven't improve at all this summer (well apart from the GK)

If you stand still in the EPL you go backwards.We're standing still...

I still hope BR / LFC have something up their sleeve, they just might with Downing off to WHU.. here's hoping.

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    Norwich have made some good signings, but there was very few stars there to add to, so they have a long way to go. Likewise Southampton.
    West Ham at least already had Noble, Diame, Jarvis, Collison, Collins, Jussi and Cole.

I think Swansea will be the ones to challenge. Shelvey will give them something else from CM. If they can keep Vorm, Williams and Michu, and with Bony adding goals, they could push on again.

:eek: is that supposed to prove WHU are far superior than Norwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Actually posted my thoughts on the season here at the weekend.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057011152/1/#post85911436

If anyone has any thoughts. Do think West Ham will be touching EL positions. Although Norwich half added decent players, I'm not convinced they'll get top 10.

Doom and gloom? Are you for real. I like to think I'm one of the positive guys around here BUT we haven't improve at all this summer (well apart from the GK)

I still hope BR / LFC have something up their sleeve, they just might with Downing off to WHU.. here's hoping.

Better read that again. He didn't even mention you or anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's not true to say we're standing still.

We've improved slightly. Not enough, granted, but we're better off than we were 3 months ago.

Regardless, it's not quite panic stations yet. We've still a few weeks to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

jesus people are so full of it on here. downing is a great player as is carroll but they are great at what they do. they arent exactly sambe stars. they are more the hard nosed tough digging players that teams like west ham and stoke use in a positive way. if we where a team that defends deep and tackles hard while waiting to attack on the break where we just lob the ball to a lump of a striker who is good in teh air then we could use players like downing carroll and even charlie adam.

kenny signing those players was a good thing. carroll was to be the strong target man with the likes of downing enrique johnson and adam suppose to lob the ball into him. it was a tactical purchase that didnt turn out the way we wanted it to.

Adam was great at set pieces. his assists from free kicks and corners where something we where lacking for a long long time and still do. sure we have gerrard and suarez who can score from a free but in terms of assists our set pieces are basically just giving the ball to the opposition.

Carroll is a strong target man. he was still young and even though he only played half a season of top flight realistically he was wanted by most of the top teams in england. arsenal chelsea spurs united where all linked with him at one time or another in the year leading up to us getting him. sure his biggest draw was his championship form but look at zaha at united. only championship experience and while his fee is nowhere near andys fee his fee was still huge. zaha might turn out to be a jem or he might be another flop but already his pressure is nowhere near andys.

downing was one of the top assists in the league when we signed him he was a great purchase. it just didnt work out

moral of the story is that sometimes things work out and sometimes they dont. every signing could be a kromkamp as easily as a suarez. it doesnt matter the fee. it could be hyypia or carroll. so lets not dwell on players that have moved on. it sucks that it didnt work out but that dont make them rubbish or amazing

Better read that again. He didn't even mention you or anyone else.

I guess he's talking to himself

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Plenty of the teams that finished below Liverpool have had better transfer windows thus far. I reckon Swansea have as much a chance of getting into Europe as Liverpool do.

I honestly think that's crazy talk.

We had an awful start to last season which f*cked us up for the whole season.

I still think to some extent we're 'running badly' in terms of luck (not trying ot make excuses, just predictions). All the signs of the end of last season suggest we should be putting together a team capable of at least 65 points, and perhaps reaching towards 70 plus.

Ok the Suarez issue could hurt us, but no Europa League this year could help.

I agree Swansea are looking good and have a good manager.

I also agree that (so far at least) we haven't done enough to make 4th a good possibility - it's still somewhat of a longshot when you look at the teams above us.

But I don't think Swansea, West Ham, West Brom etc...are as good as us and I think that will show over the course of a season.

I'll offer Evs on any team outside last seasons top 5 to finish ahead of us if anyone's interested

Gbear wrote: »
    It's not true to say we're standing still.

We've improved slightly. Not enough, granted, but we're better off than we were 3 months ago.

Regardless, it's not quite panic stations yet. We've still a few weeks to go.

I'll clarify, our starting 11 has improved slightly with Mignolet. In effect, that's standing still.

I'm hopeful but I've been saying that all summer / year. We need 2-3 more starters. I really hope they can bring in at least 2 before the deadline.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I reckon Swansea will have a disappointing season this one, despite them being stronger in theory than last year. My waters, they tell me these things. Not relegations, but below 10th.

5starpool wrote: »
    I reckon Swansea will have a disappointing season this one, despite them being stronger in theory than last year. My waters, they tell me these things. Not relegations, but below 10th.

As long as they win their 1st game! :D

• Advertisement

I think so too, but we'll only get a point from them, max.

I honestly think that's crazy talk.

We had an awful start to last season which f*cked us up for the whole season.

I still think to some extent we're 'running badly' in terms of luck (not trying ot make excuses, just predictions). All the signs of the end of last season suggest we should be putting together a team capable of at least 65 points, and perhaps reaching towards 70 plus.

Ok the Suarez issue could hurt us, but no Europa League this year could help.

I agree Swansea are looking good and have a good manager.

I also agree that (so far at least) we haven't done enough to make 4th a good possibility - it's still somewhat of a longshot when you look at the teams above us.

But I don't think Swansea, West Ham, West Brom etc...are as good as us and I think that will show over the course of a season.

I'll offer Evs on any team outside last seasons top 5 to finish ahead of us if anyone's interested

The league table doesn't lie. We got what we deserved last season but everything considered, new manager new style we did OK. I was really hoping for some decent investment this summer.. I live in hope

Failing that we are in for a long hard season.

BTW Gambling is for mugs :D

I'll clarify, our starting 11 has improved slightly with Mignolet. In effect, that's standing still.

I'm hopeful but I've been saying that all summer / year. We need 2-3 more starters. I really hope they can bring in at least 2 before the deadline.

The thing is though, if you're analysing the squad strength over the course of a season, then you have to say we've added Sturridge and Coutinho too, and that's most definitely an improvement.

We didn't have them for half of last season.

The half that we did have them?

Best GD in the league and a points average that would stretch out to 72 points over the course of a full season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Paulegend wrote: »
    jesus people are so full of it on here. downing is a great player as is carroll but they are great at what they do. they arent exactly sambe stars. they are more the hard nosed tough digging players that teams like west ham and stoke use in a positive way. if we where a team that defends deep and tackles hard while waiting to attack on the break where we just lob the ball to a lump of a striker who is good in teh air then we could use players like downing carroll and even charlie adam.

kenny signing those players was a good thing. carroll was to be the strong target man with the likes of downing enrique johnson and adam suppose to lob the ball into him. it was a tactical purchase that didnt turn out the way we wanted it to.

Adam was great at set pieces. his assists from free kicks and corners where something we where lacking for a long long time and still do. sure we have gerrard and suarez who can score from a free but in terms of assists our set pieces are basically just giving the ball to the opposition.

Carroll is a strong target man. he was still young and even though he only played half a season of top flight realistically he was wanted by most of the top teams in england. arsenal chelsea spurs united where all linked with him at one time or another in the year leading up to us getting him. sure his biggest draw was his championship form but look at zaha at united. only championship experience and while his fee is nowhere near andys fee his fee was still huge. zaha might turn out to be a jem or he might be another flop but already his pressure is nowhere near andys.

downing was one of the top assists in the league when we signed him he was a great purchase. it just didnt work out

moral of the story is that sometimes things work out and sometimes they dont. every signing could be a kromkamp as easily as a suarez. it doesnt matter the fee. it could be hyypia or carroll. so lets not dwell on players that have moved on. it sucks that it didnt work out but that dont make them rubbish or amazing
    Being linked to somebody means absolutely nothing in this era of caughtoffside and goal.com.

One thing I know for certain is United were not interested, unless Fergie was after doing a shedload of LSD with David Gill and thought it would be a bit of craic.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Grayditch wrote: »
    I think so too, but we'll only get a point from them, max.

We should try and have more games against them before big cup matches. That league match in Feb was the easiest I've ever seen Liverpool win I'd say, and I've seen us score 5+ a few times over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    because they have Downing?

you must be messing. seriously. you have to be.

no?

We finished 7th last season.

I'm of the opinion our squad has not been strengthened & may likely be, at this moment in time, weaker than last year. Our best player also wants out & will likely be gone either in the next few weeks or in Jan.

Lets say for argument sake we're level with where we were last season squad wise. If we lose Suarez/Gerrard for any considerable time this season, a dis-improvement is quite likely IMO.

Meanwhile West Ham have a manager with a history of getting average teams to over achieve in the PL. He has had some solid investment in their team in both transfer fees & wages this summer.

Is it possible that Big Sam could bring West Ham to top 10 in the PL? Yes, IMO it is. Is it possible a Liverpool side that was 7th last season could dis-improve this season? Yes, IMO it is.

So no, in not kidding. I'm not saying its incredibly likely, just that it's possible.

Swansea have a good team. their problems will come if they get injuries, and if Europa takes its toll. they'll finish above West Ham IMO though.

if Swansea didn't have Europe I think they'd get 8th guaranteed.

our squad depth should easily keep us ahead of those kinds of teams. it's the quality of our 1st XI that is our main problem, and why I don't see us kicking on above 6th place at the moment.

Being linked to somebody means absolutely nothing in this era of caughtoffside and goal.com.

One thing I know for certain is United were not interested, unless Fergie was after doing a shedload of LSD with David Gill and thought it would be a bit of craic.

because theyve never made crap signings????

The thing is though, if you're analysing the squad strength over the course of a season, then you have to say we've added Sturridge and Coutinho too, and that's most definitely an improvement.

We didn't have them for half of last season.

The half that we did have them?

Best GD in the league and a points average that would stretch out to 72 points over the course of a full season.

Well then, we must also subtract a Suarez...

No.. not back to maths class

Seriously, from May to date the improvement in the squad is negligible

• Advertisement

because theyve never made crap signings????
    Did I say that?
    Andy Carroll does not fit the profile of a United forward. There is zero possibility we were in for him.

This is probably old but f*king hell.....those Anzhi lads sure pay well....wonder if they are hiring engineers....

o-SAMUEL-ETOO-WAGES-570.jpg?2

Did I say that?
    Andy Carroll does not fit the profile of a United forward. There is zero possibility we were in for him.

berbatov????

sure its a goal.com link but this a fact ye where linked where you have zero facts ye where not interested

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/12/21/2272101/manchester-united-line-up-newcastle-striker-andy-carroll

I guess he's talking to himself

There's alot of People here who clearly didn't want Downing sold. He said it, in response to that.

To me it's a Matter of Perspective.

Since I don't Rate any of WHU Players, even the ones we've given them, I'm not particularly bothered.

Downing, Carroll, and Cole are Non-Essential Players to LFC for me. So losing them is of no importance for me. As long as we Replace them with Better Players, then all is Good in my Book.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Meanwhile West Ham have a manager with a history of getting average teams to over achieve in the PL. He has had some solid investment in their team in both transfer fees & wages this summer.

on what kind of players though? players that are better than what we have?

i wouldn't worry about them overtaking us for a second. if they'd bought players that are better than ours, then that would be a different story. but all they've done is spend money. just because they've spent money, doesn't mean they've spent it on a bunch of better players than we currently have.

Sam does overachieve, but that West Ham team is overachieving if it gets top 10.

berbatov????

sure its a goal.com link but this a fact ye where linked where you have zero facts ye where not interested

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/12/21/2272101/manchester-united-line-up-newcastle-striker-andy-carroll
    Lol. Point proven.

Also double lol at comparing the skillset of Carroll and Berba.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

berbatov????

How is that a fact? How old are you btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    Sam does overachieve, but that West Ham team is overachieving if it gets top 10.

Exactly. That's kind of my point. :confused:

It's possible West Ham will get top 10.

It's possible we'll dis-improve on last seasons 7th place finish.

There's alot of People here who clearly didn't want Downing sold. He said it, in response to that.

To me it's a Matter of Perspective.

Since I don't Rate any of WHU Players, even the ones we've given them, I'm not particularly bothered.

Downing, Carroll, and Cole are Non-Essential Players to LFC for me. So losing them is of no importance for me. As long as we Replace them with Better Players, then all is Good in my Book.

Agreed.

link = fact he was linked....................................... what is your first language??

We should try and have more games against them before big cup matches. That league match in Feb was the easiest I've ever seen Liverpool win I'd say, and I've seen us score 5+ a few times over the years.

That was their second string squad, ahead of their Capitol Cup final, though, right? We were given than match. They'll beat us when they're up for it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement