Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Kess73 wrote: »
    What about the five nil against Forest in 1988?

Don't think I will ever see as one sided a game again in my lifetime, and it was one where the five nil scoreline actually flattered what was then a good Forest side (the came third that season).

We just tore them apart and nothing they tried was able to make that Liverpool team take a backwards step.

i remember watching that game, could easily and probably should have finished 9-0 ..against one of the best teams around ... sublime stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I am pie wrote: »
    Arsenal finished 3 places above us. Silly or naive to think we are going to leap over them in a season.

Our previous top 4 finishes were achieved in a radically different context. No City, Chelsea only beginning to establish themselves, Arsenal did not have the money they had now, Spurs were nowhere near the side they are now. Realistically it was an accepted minimum performance because of the teams around us, yes we should still be at that level but if we are looking to spread blame we should go back as far as the late 80s early 90s when the stadium wasn't developed and the club stood still while Utd caught fire.

Lumping the blame at the door of the manager who has arrived last year to attempt to reverse the decline is symptomatic of the modern fan, it is hatefully naive. Same with the wishing that owners will just shower cash and not build a sound structure.

It all takes time, and if you haven't the patience for it then more fool you. I feel the club is going in the right direction and will be patient in waiting for them to correct. Just because we don't spunk 20m on some flavour of the month footballer won't change my opinion on that.

+1 to all that.

The blocks are being put in place to make the club a sustainable force rather than blowing massive chunks of cash, which we don't have, each year.

The modern fan doesn't want to hear that tho, they want a sugar daddy to spunk billions and as a result of not having one consistently throw the toys from pram. It's pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Vanolder wrote: »
    +1 to all that.

The blocks are being put in place to make the club a sustainable force rather than blowing massive chunks of cash, which we don't have, each year.

The modern fan doesn't want to hear that tho, they want a sugar daddy to spunk billions and as a result of not having one consistently throw the toys from pram. It's pathetic.

Well lets not pretend everything is wonderful as the club either. We are standing still in the transfer market. I'm not looking for a sugar daddy but some solid investment would do me. Another player has left the club today on big wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well lets not pretend everything is wonderful as the club either. We are standing still in the transfer market. I'm not looking for a sugar daddy but some solid investment would do me. Another player has left the club today on big wages.

We do need to sign players, hopefully they do before transfer deadline day.
    Hopefully the club aren't hoping that if we get results in our easy opening fixtures at the start to the season, that it will mask the fact we havent signed enough quality over the summer transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

niallo27 wrote: »

Pretty much this....I don't fall in with the Pro or Anti-Rodgers brigades, we are somewhere in between the doom and gloom, and all is rosy stances but this season could have been one to make up ground on a club above us with a bit of investment in players who would improve our first 11, and no sugar daddy would have been required.

Also didn't realise the rule about not being able to jump 3 places....someone should have mentioned that to Newcastle a few seasons back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

England press conference currently on, Gerrard asked about Suarez. SG - (whilst sittin beside Wilshire) "I'm very confident Suarez won't be playing with anyone else in England" (with a little smirk)

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Pretty much this....I don't fall in with the Pro or Anti-Rodgers brigades, we are somewhere in between the doom and gloom, and all is rosy stances but this season could have been one to make up ground on a club above us with a bit of investment in players who would improve our first 11, and no sugar daddy would have been required.

Also didn't realise the rule about not being able to jump 3 places....someone should have mentioned that to Newcastle a few seasons back.

We managed to fall 5 not too long ago, from 2nd to 7th as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Turtyturd wrote: »

Again, without context that means nothing. If Newcastle leapt from 7th to 4th I would be impressed. The gap in quality and points in the positions that Newcastle were "leaping" is not comparable to breaking into the top 4 which these days, with the quality at the top end of the table, is a much more daunting task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's worth also judging our window against our rivals:

Arsenal: haven't signed anybody, and lost a lot of depth in the likes of Arshavin, Gervinho, Chamakh etc. Not key players, but if they're going to challenge in 4 competitions, they'll be missed.

Spurs: Soldado is a big improvement to their obvious weakness, but the jury is very much out on Chadli and Paulinho. They've also lost Dempsey, Gallas, Caulker and looks like Parker is out the door to QPR too. And then there's the Bale question.

United: A bit silly to include a side who finished 15 points clear at the top of the table as rivals, but you can't ignore the Moyes factor. Liverpool fans know how disastrous managerial transitions can be, in Souness and recently Hodgson, and when you factor in the massive importance that Ferguson had on the team, you have to wonder if they could get dragged down to the 4th place battle. They haven't signed anybody of note, Rooney's in a huff, and injury-prone Ferdinand, Vidic and RVP are all a year older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    We managed to fall 5 not too long ago, from 2nd to 7th as well.

Newcastle managed to go 12th to 5th...pushing close to fourth until the final games of the season...and 2 years after being relegated. All achieved without a sugar daddy, flirting with financial disaster, or spending years building foundations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Was looking at a bet today (while thinking utd might thus season)
    A tricast Chelsea city spurs 100/1
    And city Chelsea spurs 100/1
    Thought both deserved a few pound

Wisdom will be the captain of England U21's vs Scotland. Sterling and Robinson from our youth players also starting the game.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Express reporting that the odds on Sinclair to Liverpool have been slashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

What!?! El Spearo is evolving!

nLRfLWV.jpg

Congratulations. El Spearo has evolved into El Inho!!!

LKjWfrU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I didn't know that waiting for the Transfer Window to end, before rendering Judgement on how we Fared, is considered a Rosy Stance nowadays.

The more you learn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Sakho would be a terrific signing. Sure hes left footed and pairing him with Agger wouldn't be ideal but hes an excellent player you simply cannot have enough good players. Plus he adds some aerial prowess at the back which we seriously lack.

I'd be hugely interested to hear exactly why Rodgers doesn't seem to fancy Eriksen. Especially at the price being bandied about, we would be getting a player with immense potential for below market value. I wonder has Eriksen himself ruled us out from the very start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

El Inho wrote: »
    What!?! El Spearo is evolving!

Not gonna be pretty.

fearow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Express reporting that the odds on Sinclair to Liverpool have been slashed.

Express knows nothing, not even who killed Diana.

(Scott Sinclair was at Melwood to watch his little brother play for Soton U21s so twitter made 5 and the rags are now running entirely spurious stories based on that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Andy Carroll looks bigger than ever!
    article-2391178-1B468ABF000005DC-507_634x487.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If we are actually going after Willian, we'd need to not try "save a penny" anywhere and go in hard and fast, no kissing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anyone else feel that Downing leaving is like a new signing?

I didn't know that waiting for the Transfer Window to end, before rendering Judgement on how we Fared, is considered a Rosy Stance nowadays.

The more you learn...

We can judge on the now. Current squad as of now.

People are allowed to judge whenever they want or did I miss that rule?

Currently it's been a very poor window. In 3 weeks it might be a decent one.

Personally my issue is why leave it until the last minute? Season starts in 4 days. We can't get off to a start similar to last year or we'll be searching for a new manager before christmas

murpho999 wrote: »

More wages saved

murpho999 wrote: »

No. I got that with Poulson, Cole and Spearing. Not with Stewie. Wages wise, he was expensive keep for a squad player, but right now, all he is to Liverpool is a another stack of cash, and you can'y play a stack of cash, when someone gets injured. If he's replaced by someone decent, I'll see that as a good move.

Grayditch wrote: »
    No. I got that with Poulson, Cole and Spearing. Not with Stewie. Wages wise, he was expensive keep for a squad player, but right now, all he is to Liverpool is a another stack of cash, and you can'y play a stack of cash, when someone gets injured. If he's replaced by someone decent, I'll see that as a good move.

Yeah, I'd tend to agree.

It's great selling if you are replacing with quality. Remember, Rodgers picked Downing every game after Christmas when we started to win games.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    We can judge on the now. Current squad as of now.

People are allowed to judge whenever they want or did I miss that rule?

Currently it's been a very poor window. In 3 weeks it might be a decent one.

Personally my issue is why leave it until the last minute? Season starts in 4 days. We can't get off to a start similar to last year or we'll be searching for a new manager before christmas

Did I say the Part in Bold?

All I'm seeing are those that who are willing to Wait and those that already Complain. So where exactly is the Rosy Stance here?

Grayditch wrote: »
    If we are actually going after Willian, we'd need to not try "save a penny" anywhere and go in hard and fast, no kissing.

Disregard this, I didn't realise the only connection so far had been put forward by the Scumrag.

Did I say the Part in Bold?

All I'm seeing are those that who are willing to Wait and those that already Complain. So where exactly is the Rosy Stance here?

You are one of the posters on here that likes to put people in categorys. Pro and against and all that nonsense.

Can we wait but still complain? Is that allowed?

If we sign nobody else this window I'm sure you'll put a positive spin on it anyway ;)

You are one of the posters on here that likes to put people in categorys. Pro and against and all that nonsense.

Can we wait but still complain? Is that allowed?

If we sign nobody else this window I'm sure you'll put a positive spin on it anyway ;)

Did I really?

Turdyturd was the one who put them into Categories. I was merely correcting him, since I haven't seen anyone with a Rosy Stance.

Like I've said, rather than Rosy Stance/Doom and Gloom, it's more Waiting/Complaining.

How else could anyone be Happy when everyone knows we needed New Signings? I think everyone agrees with that.

But I guess it doesn't Fit with the Narrative, if everyone isn't Prejudiced.

And yeah, I'll put a put a Positive Spin to it, cause you know me oh so well.

• Advertisement

opr wrote: »
    Wisdom will be the captain of England U21's vs Scotland. Sterling and Robinson from our youth players also starting the game.

Opr

And Shelvey - if we're allowed mention him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Yurt wrote: »
    I can't believe there's people on this who think we actually have a weaker squad than last season.Just remember this time last season we had to start games with a front three of Enrique Suarez and Cole/a 17 year old Sterling.We started Jonjo Shelvey against united.

Our team was so shallow in comparison to what it is now and our squad players shouldn't have been anywhere near the squad due to both quality or age.Since this time last year we have added Sturridge,Coutinho,Aspas,Alberto,Mignolet,and Kolo Toure.The only players (so far) that we've lost that will actually effect us would be Carragher and Downing (to a lesser much lesser extent).

Look at Reina last season ? It was mistake after mistake.He cost us goals and in some cases points against Arsenal,Man City,Hearts,Norwich,Everton,Man City again to name a few of the top off my head.I said this time last year after the game against Hearts that we needed a new goalkeeper and that too many people on here were letting there love for the man blind them over his football ability.If Mignolet plays like last year that should add at least 5 points to our tally.

Couthino,Sturridge and Aspas will add bags of goals to the team and hopefully allow us to finally win them games we dominate and draw 0-0.

Even if we lose Suarez which is unlikely at this stage i still think we have a better team than last year.Is it good enough for top 4 ? Probably not.Have we spent enough this summer? Definitely not.

I understand the negativity about not spending money.But please don't say we're in a worse position than last year!

We didnt have to. The manager chose to.

We were busy trying to force players like Henderson out the door for pennies while selecting the 'king of the golf course'. People who understand football knew Sterling needed resting after a couple of months but he played on and got worse and worse until it almost became forced upon. How much football did Sterling/Shelvey play in the 2nd half of the season?, these were players who were first choice start of the season but barely played and now one is sold.

We were busy not talking to each other at the club. Assaidi!! who signed him and why?. Working on getting Sahin in, people creaming themselves in here at the thought. Comes in, played where doesnt want to be played and is gone in 4 months. People read his comments after he left right?.

Skrtel and Coates. Two players clearly unfancied, still here, still not playing much, young kid in Wisdom getting picked before them and anyone who saw the game the other day knows he is far from ready for this team.

Imo, when people get a glimpse of Borini at right wing forward this season they will be wondering why we dont still have Downing. Clearly Downing is no footballing genius but as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for. Im hopeful for Ibe but.....

We are far to reliant on kids in the squad. By this i mean, that if we get injuries, literally anywhere on the pitch, we will be bringing in players with no experience relative to the opposition they will likely play against.

One other point, i think its remarkable that people think we have even close to a better team this year. So what if Reina is gone, so is Carragher and to all intents and purposes, so is our best player. And its not just the goals we will miss with Suarez, its the general mayhem in opposing defences that he creates and others feed off around him.

Final point, its not even about money at this stage. Anyone with their head screwed on knows we have money. Its about what has come in. The manager people have faith in has said himself that we "now have to improve the first team". That quote is 5 weeks old and after signing all the names mentioned. We havent brought in anyone, not a single player and more have left. So, if we now "have to improve the first team" but nobody has come in, what are people supposed to be thinking?. "Ah, its grand"?. The manager himself clearly doesnt think we have improved the first team, he said so 5 weeks ago.........but im a negative nelly if i believe its actually true?.

Some 'peeps' are in for a bit of a shock this year imo if this current crop is what we take into the season.

When will people actually wake up and see our real problems?. We cant attract players because???. What are we not doing that Spurs are doing?. Hopefully more lightbulb's go off sooner rather than later.

And Shelvey - if we're allowed mention him ;)

Dam he has looked good in the opening period. Dictating the play from the centre, pinging 50 yard inch perfect balls across the pitch to switch play, nice first time passing. If this was my first time watching him, I'd be going who the hell is this kid!

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Kess73 wrote: »
    And for those who were not around for the 87/88 season, or who would just like to refresh some old memories.....

And to give an idea of how Liverpool dominated that season, here is the Match Of The Day shortlist of ten goals for the goalof the season award.

Looking back at that we really were some team then. It also shows that we haven't had a top winger play for us since Digger strutted his stuff :(

Our squad isn't stronger. Even if it's at the same strength, others have bolstered. To make an advance on anywhere near 4th, we need/needed to have made a few crude moves, and so far all I see is some squad players in, and a whole load of trimming. Good foundations for a stable future, but bad for this season's league position.

Our squad is about the same. You could make an argument for it being weaker or stronger, marginal either way. If Suarez goes it's much weaker.

• Advertisement

Our lads have done well so far. Wisdom commanding the defence well. Robinson tidy as usual. Sterling has been a massive threat with his pace, just needs a little more end product. Shelvey has been fantastic and has controlled the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Our squad is about the same. You could make an argument for it being weaker or stronger, marginal either way. If Suarez goes it's much weaker.

There are a lot of unknowns at this stage:

How good is Aspas?
    How ready is Alberto?
    How good will Coutinho be for full season?
    Will Sturridge stay fit?
    Will Suarez calm down by the end of September?

And of course, who will we sign by 2nd September?

The main worry I have is that during the re-stabilisation of the club (wage trimming, youth development, better money deals etc), how long can we go without CL? Will they meet in the middle, or will all the efforts we make going forward mean nothing under the crushing damage of not having European football. The only way I can see this way winning out is if FFP is actually enforced properly. I have no faith in that. We're looking for something seriously inspirational to happen this season.

Does anyone know why Hendo is not playing?

Is he Overage already?

When did Shelvey morph into Riquelme?

• Advertisement

Is he Overage already?

I was wondering was this was for a second :D

Hendo is 23 since June

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

How good is Aspas?
    How ready is Alberto?
    Will Sturridge stay fit?

Have to agree there are too many question marks this season
    The only thing we can say for certain at this stage is that the team is short of quality in certain areas and we are a good bit off seriously challenging top four

How good is Aspas?
    How ready is Alberto?
    Will Sturridge stay fit?

Too many unknowns perhaps

Is he Overage already?
    Over-age, he's 23 and it's a new qualification campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's a much stronger squad than it was this time last year. Remember that it was the first half of the season that really hurt us until we strengthened in January. That said, another defender and creative and goalscoring attacker are still desperately needed.

Too many unknowns perhaps

Definitely. The two signings in January seem to be stellar. We'd need the same magic from the new lads.

I think more people need to start factoring in that we don't have Suarez. No matter what way it plays out, I don't think we "have" him.

It's a much stronger squad than it was this time last year. Remember that it was the first half of the season that really hurt us until we strengthened in January. That said, another defender and creative and goalscoring attacker are still desperately needed.

How is it much stronger?

2-0 England, Sterling.

Shelvey has been absolutely outstanding, even go as far as saying it's the best half of football I have ever seen from him.

Took it well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement