Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

opr wrote: »
    Shelevy off now after scoring from that wonder strike. I know others have said he likes to put in performances against rubbish sides which is true but he has been nothing short of unbelievable tonight. It's not just that his passing has been good but he has dictated play from the centre with short, long, first time passing etc. He has slowed it down or played it short when needed showing real maturity. Honestly a little scared we may have made a mistake watching him tonight. He's been around so long that it's crazy to think he's still only 21.

Opr

Shelvey looked good tonight but I was impressed with Will Hughes in the centre, very composed and only 18. Always available for the ball and rarely gave the ball away.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Now Rodgers: As I said before I wasn't jumping for joy on his arrival but in all honesty Liverpool at the time was not an attractive proposition for top level managers across the continent. An up and coming manager with a clear footballing philosophy was the best LFC could expect and I believe that we may have got one of the better of these.

I was disappointed that BR stuk very rigidly to his gameplan at the start of last season, with players who were clearly uncomfortable with the system being made the scapegoats, only for a more pragmatic approach rejuvenating a clearly failing Jamie Carragher. You might guess that I feel Skertl has been hard done by and still hold out hope for some redemption there.

This is where my criticisms end for now. BR has been very impressive in relation to 'bitegate' and the Suarez exit situation. He has handled the press extremely well while all the time using his position in the medias eye to continue to push FSG into completing some more meaningful transfers before 02/09/13.

Whilst I want to see BR revert to a closer form of his footballing plan (need to play higher up the pitch) and hope that his new sense of pragmatism shown since the turn of the year continues to influence his decisions. I don't mind a young manager but a naive one is unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

opr wrote: »
    Shelevy off now after scoring from that wonder strike. I know others have said he likes to put in performances against rubbish sides which is true but he has been nothing short of unbelievable tonight. It's not just that his passing has been good but he has dictated play from the centre with short, long, first time passing etc. He has slowed it down or played it short when needed showing real maturity. Honestly a little scared we may have made a mistake watching him tonight. He's been around so long that it's crazy to think he's still only 21.

Opr
    It's maddening. The final straw with him for me was the European Championships where England lost all three games and Shelvey was a disgrace. I thought if he was going to play like that at under-21 level, he was of no use to us. His real test will come in the Premier League though, so let's not panic too much just yet.

So do I but its value say you did 10 shops got 1000 on layed 1250 on betfair @3/1 (current price but need more liquidity ) you win 250 either way

I like your way of thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

It's maddening. The final straw with him for me was the European Championships where England lost all three games and Shelvey was a disgrace. I thought if he was going to play like that at under-21 level, he was of no use to us. His real test will come in the Premier League though, so let's not panic too much just yet.

That's Shelvey, will look like a world beater on occasion but he does not have the mentality to make it at the highest level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Some Twitter News...

Steven Gerrard on Suarez.
    Paul Burke ‏@burkov_p 8m

SG (whilst sittin beside Wilshire) "I'm very confident Suarez won't be playing with anyone else in England" (wit a little smirk)

@Mootaz_LFC: More on Steven Gerrad's England press conference where he talked about Suarez

Guilherme Siqueira.
    MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 1m
    The first offer made for Guilherme Siqueira by #LFC has been rejected though a deal should be found before the end of the week. (Fichajes)

MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 1m
    Guilherme Siqueira has accepted the terms offered by #LFC. (Fichajes)

LFC Reinforcements.
    MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 7m
    Neil Jones said yesterday that the club want a centre back, left back, winger and another attacker. That's one down.

Martin Skrtel to Napoli?
    @LFCTransferNRS: Napoli have an agreement with Martin Skrtel but will have to wait until next week to negotiate a deal with Liverpool. (Gazzetta dello Sport)

LFC over Denmark.
    Robin Bylund ‏@robinbylundLFC 19m
    Agger told Danish boss Morten Olsen that he prefered to play today's friendly instead of joining for international duty. #clubeforecountry

Sakho?
    The Anfield Insider ‏@AnfieldInsider_ 6m
    Le #Parisien claim #Liverpool have submitted an £8m bid for #PSG defender Mamadou #Sakho. The player has one year remaining on his contract.

Bad Kermit.
    SLICKRICK ‏@YBE_UK 1m
    COUTINHO & STURRIDGE #LFC #COUTINHO #STURRIDGE
    BRkbU5BCMAAQXeD.png:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

9499491151_ae82c0c5c6_o.jpg

Transfers: Transfer season has been a bit 'meh' - but not just for LFC. It seems we are still awaiting that one big deal to open the floodgates. Like many of the mid-table teams LFC wrapped up a few early deals. Whilst I don't believe there was much in the way of rivals for Aspas/Alberto/Toure, the signing of Mignolet was very impressive and I believed a clear statement of intent at the time. I was never in any doubt that Reina would be leaving and to be honest was has transpired is the best outcome for all parties - I'm not sure why he needed to make an issue of it.

At the time of the MKH push I championed him partly in ignorance partly in fear. Ignorance of the player bar a few internationals against ROI and fear that LFC might end up with the ever-overhyped Eriksen (this may come back to bite me). At this stage it seems Coutinho will be trusted in the No.10 role. I didnt see anything in pre-season game sI hadn't seen in the EPL last year so not sure what has changed BR's mind - perhaps he agrees that the Dane won't cut it and the tranfer committee have exhausted their list of potential No. 10's.

My desire to see Skrtel given another chance is most unlikely to happen and that being the case a CB is a top priority for BR. Agger is loyal and classy on the ball but a commanding CB he is not. Does all this responsibility fall on Toure's shoulders? And if injuries arise as they are wont to do in Agger and Toure does anyone really trust Wisdom/Kelly to step into the centre of the defense of a team with ambitions for a top 4 position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

murpho999 wrote: »
    Anyone else feel that Downing leaving is like a new signing?

Rodgers best bit of business this summer. :)

Winger. HM would play CAM, but because of his Skill and Pace, he can Interchange with any of the Wing.

Before

Based on Rodger's Comments, he sees Coutinho as our 10. That means Wingers/Wide Forwards are what we are after.

Based on Rodger's Comments, Mignolet was signed as competition for Reina.

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    Based on Rodger's Comments, Mignolet was signed as competition for Reina.

Until Rafa came-a-calling. :D

Did anyone avail of Boyles special today 4/1 liverpool to finish top 4 price is normally 2/1 only thing was its a 100 euro limit but nothing to stop you going to different Boyles shops.
    Great arbing opportunity if nothing else

So that means if you put on €100, you lose €100.

So do I but its value say you did 10 shops got 1000 on layed 1250 on betfair @3/1 (current price but need more liquidity ) you win 250 either way

Are you saying that Liverpool are 3/1 not to finish in the top 4 on betfair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Are you saying that Liverpool are 3/1 not to finish in the top 4 on betfair?

To win 250 on the exchange you need to risk 750.
    If you put on 200 with paddypower you win 800.

So if liverpool get top 4 you will lose 750 with the exchange but win 800 with paddypower and if they dont get top 4 you win 250 off the exchange and lose 200 to paddypower. Your up 50 either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Still doesn't top how he managed to get rid of the English Messi

Some Twitter News...

Guilherme Siqueira.

Sakho?

If we manage to get both for under £15m that is seriously good business there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This seems to be missed by the usual suspects.

Have you missed the possible reasons given for this ? It has been explained by a few already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

My desire to see Skrtel given another chance is most unlikely to happen and that being the case a CB is a top priority for BR. Agger is loyal and classy on the ball but a commanding CB he is not. Does all this responsibility fall on Toure's shoulders? And if injuries arise as they are wont to do in Agger and Toure does anyone really trust Wisdom/Kelly to step into the centre of the defense of a team with ambitions for a top 4 position.

Welcome to the asylum :)

The part I've bolded is a huge problem imo.

It's hard to believe Agger went all last season without a serious injury. Will we be that lucky again I wonder? He was terrible on occasion last year as well. I love the guy but he loses concentration too easily for my liking.

Wisdom did not look good against Celtic but anyone can have a bad day at the office I suppose. Still...it wouldn't fill you with confidence.

Kelly? Well I keep hearing he'd be a great centre back but I don't think I've seen him play there yet. Again a big gamble.

A centre back has to be bought. Has to be.

EDIT: Never even mentioned Coates or Skrtel. Coates doesn't seem to be good enough and Rodgers hates Skrtel. Or so it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Barett is saying we want willian :eek:

• Advertisement

So that means if you put on €100, you lose €100.

Not if you lay it off on betfair as was his point ;)

klose wrote: »

Barrett talks nonsense these days so I wouldn't put too much trust in him

Welcome to the asylum :)

The part I've bolded is a huge problem imo.

It's hard to believe Agger went all last season without a serious injury. Will we be that lucky again I wonder? He was terrible on occasion last year as well. I love the guy but he loses concentration too easily for my liking.

Wisdom did not look good against Celtic but anyone can have a bad day at the office I suppose. Still...it wouldn't fill you with confidence.

Kelly? Well I keep hearing he'd be a great centre back but I don't think I've seen him play there yet. Again a big gamble.

A centre back has to be bought. Has to be.

Glad there is some sense been shown on this issue - I know people worry about upheaval but to be honest £25m would be idiotic to turn down for Agger. If Sakho is as good as some make out then let's get him and another stable CB as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If we are in for him, our recent negotiating skills don't fill me with confidence that we will offer a sufficient package to beat others to his signature.

Is he better than Will I Am?

Glad there is some sense been shown on this issue - I know people worry about upheaval but to be honest £25m would be idiotic to turn down for Agger. If Sakho is as good as some make out then let's get him and another stable CB as well.

Where you getting 25m from?

15m is the most I've seen confirmed

• Advertisement

I want Mila Kunis.

Is he better than Will I Am?

He's from Cambodia

Maybe he'd just seen the Willian Interview from 2012?
    MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 8m
    Willian in 2012: "Despite all their [#LFC] problems they have a great chance to get back to the top of English football again."

Willian in 2012: "He [Lucas] spoke so highly about Anfield and we saw that the facilities behind the scenes are fantastic."

No,no,I don't want to see him sold. I think we've sold more than enough.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's from Cambodia

Is that in the Northern or Southern hemisphere?

These details can be important.

• Advertisement

Ok so ... say Siqueira, Sakho and Willian all arrive for c50m, how good are our top 4 prospects then?

Even I would have to admit that it was not just a good transfer window but probably the best one since Torres arrived

Where you getting 25m from?

15m is the most I've seen confirmed

Sorry, I'll rephrase - if they go to £25m then it can't be sniffed at
    No,no,I don't want to see him sold. I think we've sold more than enough.

Perhaps a bit late in the day but it's something to think about over the next 12 months - Agger for all his positives can def be improved upon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ok so ... say Siqueira, Sakho and Willian all arrive for c50m, how good are our top 4 prospects then?

Even I would have to admit that it was not just a good transfer window but probably the best one since Torres arrived

That would be amazing

Sorry, I'll rephrase - if they go to £25m then it can't be sniffed at

Perhaps a bit late in the day but it's something to think about over the next 12 months - Agger for all his positives can def be improved upon

You could only sell him if you picked up a superior replacement. I think keeping him and adding a top CB would be a better call

Is that in the Northern or Southern hemisphere?

These details can be important.

Western

Vicxas wrote: »
    That would be amazing

It would.

Not gonna happen tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Is that this Willian?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willian_Borges_da_Silva

He doesn't score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Gbear wrote: »
    Is that this Willian?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willian_Borges_da_Silva

He doesn't score goals.

Wiki only shows league apps and goals i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

With the ways things have gone this summer I'm not getting my hopes up regarding any signings until it's confirmed on the Official website. Already been let down by Micky in particular (even though I know little of him) and to a lesser extent Cissokho.

Definitely need to get some first team quality in though. I was talking to a friend who supports Spurs today and we were going through the team. They really do have a very good squad there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Arent they the most important ones ?

• Advertisement

League, cup and Europe.

According to that he's a 1 in 7 player. He'd have to be contributing 20 assists a season to make up for that. Or start scoring for the first time in his career.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

tok9 wrote: »
    With the ways things have gone this summer I'm not getting my hopes up regarding any signings until it's confirmed on the Official website. Already been let down by Micky in particular (even though I know little of him) and to a lesser extent Cissokho.

Definitely need to get some first team quality in though. I was talking to a friend who supports Spurs today and we were going through the team. They really do have a very good squad there.

Its hard to say how we will finish ahead of Spurs this season given our two teams at the moment, very hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

League, cup and Europe.

According to that he's a 1 in 7 player. He'd have to be contributing 20 assists a season to make up for that. Or start scoring for the first time in his career.

He scored a very decent amount of goals for a winger every season in Ukraine pretty much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

ive been critical of downing myself, but to celebrate his leaving is a bit over the top. great attitude, and offered a lot more in his play than many seem to want to admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

9499491151_ae82c0c5c6_o.jpg

3 former Liverpool players. I haven't seen Joe Cole look that good since his Chelsea days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

League, cup and Europe.

Was going to say the same when I had a look at his stats. Admittedly I havent seen much of him, but its very hard to see what makes him a 30m rated winger with those stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

El Inho wrote: »
    ive been critical of downing myself, but to celebrate his leaving is a bit over the top. great attitude, and offered a lot more in his play than many seem to want to admit.

What did he offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

So people are criticising Willian now, are ye doing this based on what you saw on wiki? The guy is class & yes i have seen him play. He would improve any team in the premier league imo.

He scored a very decent amount of goals for a winger every season in Ukraine pretty much

1 in 7 isn't very decent.

We need a player who'll contribute 10-15. Willian has never done that. And that's in the wanky Ukrainian league.

If someone else could make the case (not that it's likely we'll sign him anyway) based on having seen him then fair enough but if we're going to be spending 20m quid or whatever I'd be a bit worried.

• Advertisement

You could only sell him if you picked up a superior replacement. I think keeping him and adding a top CB would be a better call

It may well be a 12 month search but if Agger can generate at least £20m next summer then you would be hard pressed not to spend that money intelligently

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement