Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just Willian? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

skywalker wrote: »
    Was going to say the same when I had a look at his stats. Admittedly I havent seen much of him, but its very hard to see what makes him a 30m rated winger with those stats.

8 goals and 15 assists last season,
    this season 3 assists in 4 matches.

2011/12 - 6 goals 17 assists

He has a bit going for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I can remember seeing Willian play once: when Shaktar played Barca at the Nou Camp in a knockout game a couple of years ago. Shaktar could have been 5-0 up if Willian had finished his chances. He was infuriating to watch, and the stats seem to reflect the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Gbear wrote: »
    1 in 7 isn't very decent.

We need a player who'll contribute 10-15. Willian has never done that. And that's in the wanky Ukrainian league.

If someone else could make the case (not that it's likely we'll sign him anyway) based on having seen him then fair enough but if we're going to be spending 20m quid or whatever I'd be a bit worried.

Who cares! Hes brazillian and has an afro, throw all dat' money at him till he moves here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Gbear wrote: »
    1 in 7 isn't very decent.

We need a player who'll contribute 10-15. Willian has never done that. And that's in the wanky Ukrainian league.

If someone else could make the case (not that it's likely we'll sign him anyway) based on having seen him then fair enough but if we're going to be spending 20m quid or whatever I'd be a bit worried.

Those stats don't nearly tell everything though.

Nani rarely scores in double figures. Jesus Navas is a 1 in 10 winger.

Both would massively improve our first 11

• Advertisement

30 million quid is A LOT of money, if that figure is accurate. I'm sure it could be better spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

PlannerScanner, I'm liking your posts so far, well written and some pretty good points imho, keep it going Sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

8 goals and 15 assists last season,
    this season 3 assists in 4 matches.

2011/12 - 6 goals 17 assists

He has a bit going for him

I should have added that he must be an assist machine. If hes getting in the region of 20 assists a season then yeah I can see the attraction. His goal stats arent anything to write home about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

WOW....I can't believe people are questioning if Willian would be a good buy going by stats on wiki.

Crazy talk!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Willian was the best player on the pitch for Shaktar against Chelsea twice. He is very very good.

• Advertisement

billy2012 wrote: »
    WOW....I can't believe people are questioning if Willian would be a good buy going by stats on wiki.

Crazy talk!!!!

Have to agree with this, stats schmats in some cases, the lad is a class looking player, get him, please fcking get him!

Rumour mill starring 11

Sturridge
    Willian---Coutinho---Sterling
    Gerrard---Lucas
    Siqueira-Agger-Sakho-Johnson

Subs Jones-Enrique-Toure-Hendo-Alberto-Aspas-Ibe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

As someone who've watched Willian for Shaktar, I would say he is more an ALP (Advance-lying Playmaker), instead of an Out-and-Out Winger, though he certainly got the Pace for it. He plays LW and CAM.

It's HM who provides the Goalscoring, while Willian provides the Assists.

So in that Sense, he's Coutinho-like. He even has the same penchant as Cou to drift centrally, while HM takes over at left.

So do we go for him? Well, it all depends on Suarez. If Suarez stays, he would definitely occupy LW for us. So no room for Willian unless we bench Cou and put him as CAM.

If Suarez goes, then yes we should definitely bring in Willian and get a Goalscoring RW.

mike65 wrote: »
    Rumour mill starring 11

Sturridge
    Gerrard---Lucas

With Suarez on the right for Sterling :D:D:DTasty:D:D:D

@Raif - We don't really need an out an out winger, Why would Suarez be on the left and not right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Vanolder wrote: »
    If anything sums this thread up It's the posts on Shelvey tonight, Christ above. He was beyond hopeless for us and in the recent u21 euros but he has a half decent game in a u21 friendly and fellas are lamenting his sale as a disaster.

not really, he was a 21 inexperienced player with raw talent and potential. He had bad games yes, but he also had some good games in the Europa league. I really think he'll go on to be a player that we all think we shouldn't have sold.

He should have been loaned to Swansea imo so that we got a good look at him playing in the premiership without having to risk our results.

As someone who've watched Willian for Shaktar, I would say he is more an ALP (Advance-lying Playmaker), instead of an Out-and-Out Winger, though he certainly got the Pace for it. He plays LW and CAM.

It's HM who provides the Goalscoring, while Willian provides the Assists.

So in that Sense, he's Coutinho-like. He even has the same penchant as Cou to drift centrally, while HM takes over at left.

So do we go for him? Well, it all depends on Suarez. If Suarez stays, he would definitely occupy LW for us. So no room for Willian unless we bench Cou and put him as CAM.

If Suarez goes, then yes we should definitely bring in Willian and get a Goalscoring RW.

I'd go as far as to say Suarez on the right, that is , in my opinion his natural position, So rumour mill front 4 is Sturridge up front, Suarez (if he apologises) on the right, Willian on the left and Coutinho in the No. 10 role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Is €30 the price for Willian? Anzhi bought him for around €35 no? I thought they were having a fire sale on all their players, taking a €5 million loss on him isn't much. A goal in every 7 games? Not bad considering the quality of players in the teams he has been in. Would be exciting prospect and an amazing improvement on Downing, however for €30 million, I think the cash could be better well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Wouldnt mind seeing Downings 70k wages going towards Willian's - probably pie in the sky, most likely leaked by Anzhi to get a bidding war going...

With Suarez on the right for Sterling :D:D:DTasty:D:D:D

@Raif - We don't really need an out an out winger, Why would Suarez be on the left and not right?

We usually play with Inverted Forwards. So Suarez with his Stronger Right Foot would play LW.

Makes sense, since it would be easier for a Goalscoring Forward like Suarez to come inside and Shoot.

Is €30 the price for Willian? Anzhi bought him for around €35 no? I thought they were having a fire sale on all their players, taking a €5 million loss on him isn't much. A goal in every 7 games? Not bad considering the quality of players in the teams he has been in. Would be exciting prospect and an amazing improvement on Downing, however for €30 million, I think the cash could be better well spent

Really? on a player who is comfortable off both feet, great at running with the ball and can play across the AM spots behind a striker, 30m is pretty good going

• Advertisement

PlannerScanner, I'm liking your posts so far, well written and some pretty good points imho, keep it going Sir.

SLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPAH!

ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

We'll end up with Will I Am before this guy.

We usually play with Inverted Forwards. So Suarez with his Stronger Right Foot would play LW.

Makes sense, since it would be easier for a Goalscoring Forward like Suarez to come inside and Shoot.

To be fair, Suarez can bend the ball with the outside of his right better than most left footers can with their left.

I think he would do just fine out there :)

Edit.....There actually a serious amount of papers reporting it...would be a mouth watering signing. A team full of Brazilians!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I see most papers running with the Willian story. This will most likely end up MkH saga mkII :(

Where has this Willian talk come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

We'll end up with Will I Am before this guy.

I'd se he has a good eye for the ball and a wicked first touch.

SLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPAH!

Ex-squeeze me?

To be fair, Suarez can bend the ball with the outside of his right better than most left footers can with their left.

I think he would do just fine out there :)

Edit.....There actually a serious amount of papers reporting it...would be a mouth watering signing. A team full of Brazilians!!

We're better off playing Willian in RW, even though he hasn't played there in a while.

God knows what Suarez would do, if he sees us accommodating this Guy over him. You know how much he Sulk these days. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Where has this Willian talk come from?

Rodgers bought a Black Eyed Peas album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

It's no good having all of these small, nippy, skilful guys up front if we don't add some more steel and athleticism. Forget Will I Am, where's my new CB and CM!!

PRAF wrote: »
    It's no good having all of these small, nippy, skilful guys up front if we don't add some more steel and athleticism. Forget Will I Am, where's my new CB and CM!!

I've given up on the CM, once Gerrard signed a Contract Extension.

We probably won't touch the Midfield, until next year.

We're better off playing Willian in RW, even though he hasn't played there in a while.

God knows what Suarez would do, if he sees us accommodating this Guy over him. You know how much he Sulk these days. :p

Anybody reading that would swear he has already signed for us :D:D

The beauty of it is that we could be constantly changing our front 4 around different positions and nobody would know what to expect :pac:

I ain't getting my hopes up!!

Just had a nosey on Twitter about Willian and stumbled on this little unrelated gem

http://instagram.com/p/c98oOgntiY/#

Lukaku posted it! Mignolet is Belgian so not completely irrelevant to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In reality there's very little difference in Suarez performance depending on which side he plays.

Which side we opt to use him on will depend on the options available for the two sides - if we can get a better left winger than right winger, Suarez will play right side - just like he did when we played 3 up last season with Coutinho left and Sturridge centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Rodgers has mentioned defense and attack when he's talked of bringing people in. That he doesn't mention CM should be a worry, imo.

While CM would be 3rd on my list of concerns behind a CB and one more attacker (Followed by a backup GK and a LB), it is still a position that needs addressing. Doesn't need to be a first choice, does need to be an option with steel. Someone say, like Banega, but not Banega because the amount of money needed for him would be better spend elsewhere if FSG want to spend as little as possible (Because that's what the reality is looking like).

• Advertisement

Sturridge
    Willian
    Suarez
    Coutinho

As a front 4 they would be up with the very very best in the league.

I'm getting carried away now!!

I'd imagine if he is up for sale a whole host of clubs will be after him, I know AVB has tried to sign him before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If these Willian rumours have any substance then I hope it doesn't turn into another saga.

We've seen other clubs get stuff done quickly so please just go in and get the deal done before other clubs move in.

Agree, I'd like to know why an attempted transfer story ever gets out. Who's blabbing?

The good news about Willian is that the club want to sell and his agent has only got a handful of clients of whom he is by far and away the most valuable. So a nice fat opening offer might get this done quickly, if he is interested. At least LFC can guarantee he'll start every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's probably bollochs that we're even after him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Grayditch wrote: »

*bollocks, ballocks or bollox.
    But not 'bollochs'.
    Tut tut tut.

• Advertisement

Probably, but for the love of god let us believe man!

audman wrote: »
    *bollocks

Didn't realise that boldy word was allowed.

Ballocks, what are you on?

Baldricks, its a load of baldricks.

Man, if I'd known you could use it, you'd all be knee deep in bollocks by now. Well, depending on age, maybe some already are.

Bollocks. Bollocks. Bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Rumour mill starring 11

Sturridge
    Gerrard---Lucas

no keeper ... risky move :pac:

Didn't realise that boldy word was allowed.

Ballocks, what are you on?

Now ya BOLLOCKS BOLLOX BALLOCKS ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I'd have Willian at Liverpool in a heartbeat. Unlike Mkhitaryan, I thought Willian adjusted extremely well to playing in the Champions League last year and was a star for Shakhtar. He is a left winger, his wages are easily affordable (€50k a week) and I reckon we could do a deal and get him at £25M or so.

Sign him up, I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Dont know if already posted but it looks like Skrtel is after doing his knee on international duty. Stretched knee ligaments. Could be out for a while if true. Hopefully the sakho rumour has some truth behind it.

And Willian is class. Sounds too good to be true tho :(

Apparently Fergie is a huge fan of Willian too. Apparently the two have great time for each other and even have a few songs together...

the Black Eyed Peas :)

'I've got a feeling, that this year's gonna be our year'.

x

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Willian went to a club with no CL and accepted 50k euro a week in wages. Surely that makes us an option if he doesn't care about either

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement