Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Using the "only after Stephen's day" logic, the current Arsenal squad got as many points as Man Utd in the second half of last season. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    Using the "only after Stephen's day" logic, the current Arsenal squad got as many points as Man Utd in the second half of last season. :o

Ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Arsenal had a great second half of the season - 40 points out of a possible 57.

In the last 19 games of last season;
    Arsenal: 40
    Chelsea: 37
    Spurs: 36
    Liverpool: 36

The point is that over a fairly large sample, with our current first choice team (obviously including Sturridge and Coutinho), we were actually very close to the guys some consider to be on another level to us.

Just pointing out things may not be as bleak as some make out, particularly if we strengthen further - which I feel is an absolute necessity.
    A big issue is Spurs strengthening, particularly with Soldado, but I think Arsenal are there for the taking if their window continues as it has thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Barrett...
    Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes now
    My Spanish is awful but @MartinCharquero seems to be saying Suarez will stay at Liverpool & could even sign a contract extension.

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 1m
    I think it's safe to say there isn't a journalist in Uruguay who knows Luis Suarez better than @MartinCharquero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone hear anything interesting on Twitter last night about the friendly yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Arsenal do ok because they rest the first team players and get dumped out of cups earlier than others, was it Bradford and Blackburn last year?. Only 2 games in Europe in last 4 months of the season apart from league football. Spurs were still in Europe a month after Arsenal went out. Chelsea played near 70 games last season.

In short, you can climb well in the league if you are playing nothing else but league football, Newcastle's last 2 seasons is a perfect example. I expect Swansea to take a bit of a slump this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vicxas wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything interesting on Twitter last night about the friendly yesterday?

Sturridge played 90 mins.
    McLaughlin was one of our best players.
    Ibe was another...

Speaking of friendlies, I see Jonjo "Stevie G" Shelvey was on show last night - a number of raking passes from deep to set up goals, and a beautiful curling finish from 25 yards.

I hope we have a big sell-on clause!

daithijjj wrote: »
    Arsenal do ok because they rest the first team players and get dumped out of cups earlier than others, was it Bradford and Blackburn last year?. Only 2 games in Europe in last 4 months of the season apart from league football. Spurs were still in Europe a month after Arsenal went out. Chelsea played near 70 games last season.

In short, you can climb well in the league if you are playing nothing else but league football, Newcastle's last 2 seasons is a perfect example. I expect Swansea to take a bit of a slump this season.

As we proved last year and during the second half of 2010 / 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

From Yahoo

The striker’s U-turn is a significant fillip to the club who have been insistent all summer that the forward not be sold at any price.
    "For now, because of all the affection of the people, I will be staying," Suarez told El Observador from Tokyo, where the national side are set to face Japan.

I'm desperately trying to delete all my posts since the beginning of the Summer!!!!

'Because of the love of the fans, I stay'

=

'Because of the club's unwillingness to sell to my only suitor at the current time, I am forced to knuckle down for one more year. I will sign a contract that installs a clear release clause for ~£45m if a bid from a non EPL team is received from the summer window 2014 on. As it is a World Cup year, it is in my interests to play well. I am also motivated by my need to be in the shop window for desired foreign based suitor'

And grand really, because we amount to **** all without him tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

For everyone who hasn't said a bad word about Suarez please join me in a guilt-free happy day :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

=

'Because of the club's unwillingness to sell to my only suitor at the current time, I am forced to knuckle down for one more year. I will sign a contract that installs a clear release clause for ~£45m if a bid from a non EPL team is received from the summer window 2014 on. As it is a World Cup year, it is in my interests to play well. I am also motivated by my need to be in the shop window for desired foreign based suitor'

If this is a grand flip flop, I will laugh all the way to 4th place (I hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    True to a degree, but on the other hand, our rivals first and second halves of the season were virtually identical. Spurs first 19 games yielded exactly the same points total as their second 19 games. There was only a 2.5point difference in Arsenals halves.

Our form on the other hand, with the new signings, and coming to terms with a new system, yielded far greater rewards in the latter half of the season.

We played as many cup games in the first half of last season though than we did the entire previous season when we reached two cup finals.

That, and the fact that our squad was lacking in depth, did hurt us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

If Barrett and half the journalists in England are reporting our interest in Willian, it's because the club wants it reported. This means one of 2 things:

- There isn't a hope of signing him and we want the credit for trying to sign him because of a poor transfer window thus far, or for a bargaining position in negotiations elsewhere

Or

- They're very confident of signing him, to the point where a deal is in the bag

I know which is more likely.

@Atleti

DIEGO COSTA RENUEVA TRES TEMPORADAS. El brasileño amplía su contrato hasta junio de 2018: http://ow.ly/nUwmQ #DiegoCosta2018

Willian would be an exciting signing. I think we'd all be pulling our hair out at him half the time, but he'd bring a sparkle to proceedings and it would crucially give us another player capable of causing mayhem out of nowhere for an opposition defense.

Any combination of:

Coutinho

Sturridge
    Suarez
    Willian

would be top notch. Assuming Coutinho and Sturridge maintain their form of course.

Would also help to keep Borini well away from the pitch, which is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

audman wrote: »
    For everyone who hasn't said a bad word about Suarez please join me in a guilt-free happy day :)

I believe that'll be me. Mainly because I backed him to stay.:pac:

By the way, how log did Suarez's 'No talking about Liverpool while I'm in Uruguay' thing last? 25 minutes?

Pints? :) ... and a BITE to eat for the sake of it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

thank crap i stayed diplomatic about the suarez thing from day one. always had the stance of if he stays great but if he goes we get loads of money:D diplomacy wins yet again. screw you communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Haven't said anything bad about him either! If the staying rumours turn out to be true it'll be the happiest day of the summer for me!

Still, I'm not counting my chickens just yet.....prob cos I actually have no chickens....have a few fish fingers in the fridge tho, they might do for counting.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Willian would be an exciting signing. I think we'd all be pulling our hair out at him half the time, but he'd bring a sparkle to proceedings and it would crucially give us another player capable of causing mayhem out of nowhere for an opposition defense.

Any combination of:

Coutinho

Sturridge
    Suarez
    Willian

would be top notch. Assuming Coutinho and Sturridge maintain their form of course.

If FSG step up to the plate by pulling off a signing like Willian it will help appease the fans for the time being. We could have a real chance of a top 4 finish IF that quartet hit the ground running.
    I think at home we will batter a lot of teams, just gotta work on the formation & right selection for the away games.
    Bit harsh on borini but I see your point. He will do as backup and for the mickey mouse cup :)

kfallon wrote: »
    Haven't said anything bad about him either! If the staying rumours turn out to be true it'll be the happiest day of the summer for me!

Still, I'm not counting my chickens just yet.....prob cos I actually have no chickens....have a few fish fingers in the fridge tho, they might do for counting.....

Pints and BITE to eat? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

billy2012 wrote: »
    WOW....I can't believe people are questioning if Willian would be a good buy going by stats on wiki.

Crazy talk!!!!

Why? I(we)ve been pretty upfront that (I)we dont know much about him, & are questioning him based on the limited info (I)we have.

The way Raif has responded, by actually telling us a bit more about the player is much more constructive than just deriding someone for daring to question a big money signing by saying hes class & were mad for questioning it based on the limited info available & leaving it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm glad he's staying, for the time being anyway, but be under no illusions lads, this is the last thing he wanted.

In a way, his suspension is a good thing as it will give the fans some time to "forgive".

• Advertisement

Could there be permit issues for Willian given he only has 2 international caps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Well I have said plenty bad about him but always did never liked the chap ever but I will always say I'd rather him with liverpool than without because his effort on the field of play is unrivalled and that's what he should be judged on I suppose.
    Still believe he thought Madrid would come for him so its a bit of a kick on the teeth for him nobody came for him.
    I'm sure most fans will still idolise him at stevies testimonial I think I was the only one that didn't cheer for him when he came on so he's still adored.
    Lets hope he can keep scoring goals for us
    He's a knacker but at least he's our knacker

The whole landscape changes for us if Suarez stays imo.

Some new additions to the first team and we can challenge top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Any combination of:

Coutinho

Sturridge
    Suarez
    Willian

If we had that line up, I think top 4 would be a very, very realistic prospect.

#prayforwillian

Pints and BITE to eat? ;)

You're mad for the pints....it's only 9.13am ffs :p

• Advertisement

If we had that line up, I think top 4 would be a very, very realistic prospect.

#prayforwillian

I think we could still use a better CB and ideally would have a good DM to back Lucas up.

You'd also be hoping Gerrard replicates his production and presence of last season.

So Willian wouldn't solve all our problems, but it would certainly be step one towards having a shout at it.

That's why I've included the option of a bite to eat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭deeks

=

How's about a bit of credit for the way FSG and Rogers have handled the situation?

Suarez staying is the best bit if business Rodgers has done since coming to Liverpool. Ring a bell anyone? :D

I'm getting very moist, about the season ahead.

This made me laugh on F365:
    Hmm, so Suarez is staying because of the fans? Coincidence this comes out the day after Downing has been sold, me thinks not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Suarez staying is the best bit if business Rodgers has done since coming to Liverpool. Ring a bell anyone? :D

Considering he's managed to perform that miracle twice he's not turning out to be half bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Yea, I can't wait to finish in Europa League places again finally. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I presume the contract extension is only to stop him buying himself out of his contract next summer and leaving for pittance?

Prepare to be blue-balled when Spurs sign Willian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Didn't Torres change his mind about staying before his transfer...or at least it was reported.

IF....Suarez is forced to stay...because that will be why he stays...there will be a few disappointed posters around here.

The best result for me today is Suarez staying.

The second is that some young and eager fresh bit of tidy and unspoiled meat is happy with her results, (Leaving Cert) thus making her 'Willian' to put out in her intoxicated and happy state.

It's a good day with all the potential of being a great one!

I presume the contract extension is only to stop him buying himself out of his contract next summer and leaving for pittance?

It'll mean his valuation will hold and could increase if he has a similar season. If he can go a full season without doing something ridiculous more teams might be interested in him

PM sent ;) x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Excellent news.....if true......lets not get our hopes up yet until its final.
    So much BS has come out of his mouth this summer I dont trust that this isnt another tactic.
    Heres hoping though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am waiting for Mr Alan to come on and lavish kudos on Ian Ayre and Brendan Rodgers for getting Suarez to say - like he said he would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

if suarez stays thats great but it now means instead of siging a forward player i think we need to sign a defender and someone to push lucas for a spot in the team. if we had someone who forced lucas out of team we would definitly be in line for a top 4 spot

The best result for me today is Suarez staying.

The second is that some young and eager fresh bit of tidy and unspoiled meat is happy with her results, (Leaving Cert) thus making her put out in her intoxicated and happy state.

It's a good day with all the potential of being a great one!

Right, I'm ready to meet you for pints now, why didn't you mention this earlier....... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

to those thankful they didn't say a bad word about Suarez, what has he done to not warrant disdain from the fans?

he's still everything he ever was.

he's still shown the club an enormous amount of disrespect, and if a suitor from abroad had come in earlier with a big bid, it wouldn't have really bothered me for him to go.

the thing is, it's now too late in the window, and only Arsenal want him - a move the club have remained staunch about him not getting.

if he now stays, fine. i'm going to find it hard to want to see him do well after his behaviour, but that will ultimately be superseded by the fact I want the club to do well, so i'll get over that one. he's our best player, and there's no way we can replace him before the transfer window's end.

not having any of this business disrupt anything in the dressing room would be an outstanding piece of work by Rodgers. it remains to be seen.

oh, and...

3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I am waiting for Mr Alan to come on and lavish kudos on Ian Ayre and Brendan Rodgers for getting Suarez to say - like he said he would.

Well maybe he will when it actually happens and its not based on twitter rumours!

a4186767470_10.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement