Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'll believe it when it's official.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

kfallon wrote: »
    Right, I'm ready to meet you for pints now, why didn't you mention this earlier....... :pac:

Yes :) Edited it there to include a cheeky 'Willian' pun :D I know I haven't asked yet but anyone else up for a pint and a BITE to eat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

kfallon wrote: »
    Haven't said anything bad about him either! If the staying rumours turn out to be true it'll be the happiest day of the summer for me!

Still, I'm not counting my chickens just yet.....prob cos I actually have no chickens....have a few fish fingers in the fridge tho, they might do for counting.....

Never count your fish fingers before they're hatched

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Future King of England Liverpool?
    Breakfast Percy ‏@BreakfastPercy 10m

Willian: "I was named after the future King of England but my parents were poorly educated."

No need to Sell to Buy Willian.
    MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 58m
    Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers plans £30m bid for Anzhi Makhachkala midfielder Willian via @Telegraph http://fw.to/Ofw9XoI

MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 58m
    Rodgers has been assured of further funds to make one marquee signing, regardless of whether Luis Suarez does depart Anfield. (Telegraph)

Cold Dose?
    @karlsentk 2m
    Do rate Willian (Anzhi) highly - and understandable if Liverpool wants him. Can't quite see it happening though. Long shot

@karlsentk is Tor-Kristian Karlsen a Norwegian Football Scout. Formerly the Chief Executive and Sporting Director at Monaco. He has previously worked as a Scout for Grasshopper, Watford, Bayer Leverkusen, Hannover and Zenit St Petersburg and as Sporting Director for Fredrikstad FK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Everyone is excited about the prospect of Willian but what about Kevin De Bruyne from Chelsea, really good player but not likely to get a look in, not reality means he'll prob move to the bundesliga but he'd be a good addition to Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I still won't forget that he would have had no problem leaving in acrimonious circumstances, so long as he got his own way. I'm not naive enough to think he won't cause trouble again. But as long as he knuckles down and gives us another good season, and we get a good fee for him next summer, it's the best we could have possibly expected.

All credit goes to the club on this, they pulled off the seemingly impossible if this is true, and assuming the guy still shows the proper attitude on the field.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

How much effort can we expect out of Suarez this season if he is forced to stay ?
    I cannot see him being too committed to the cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    'Because of the love of the fans, I stay'

=

'Because of the club's unwillingness to sell to my only suitor at the current time, I am forced to knuckle down for one more year. I will sign a contract that installs a clear release clause for ~£45m if a bid from a non EPL team is received from the summer window 2014 on. As it is a World Cup year, it is in my interests to play well. I am also motivated by my need to be in the shop window for desired foreign based suitor'

And grand really, because we amount to **** all without him tbh.

Great news, always thought that hanging on to him is the equivalent of a major signing.

Also major kudos to the management for how they handled Suarez and the whole situation. They've certainly sorted themselves out since the racist incident.

Starting to get excited about the new season now. One more good signing and I think we'd be in with a good shout for fourth. Man City are nailed on to win, with Chelsea following them all the way. Really unsure about United, relying on Giggs, a new manager, possibly no Rooney and their traditional slow start could see them under pressure. Having said that, RVP should get them third if he stays fit. Fourth is between us and Spurs. Hopefully their new players take a while to bed in and without Bale I can see them not starting well. Arsenal finishing down the table a little, unless they do some great business in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

slingerz wrote: »
    Everyone is excited about the prospect of Willian but what about Kevin De Bruyne from Chelsea, really good player but not likely to get a look in, not reality means he'll prob move to the bundesliga but he'd be a good addition to Liverpool

We've already blocked a move for De Bruyne from German teams, notably when we signed Schurrle, Leverkusen wanted De Bruyne but Jose said no, Mourinho rates him highly and spoke to him about this season, he'll be going nowhere, loan or transfer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

'He's a knacker, but he's our knacker'. :D

That's right up there with 'You'll Never Walk Alone' for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm desperately trying to delete all my posts since the beginning of the Summer!!!!
    audman wrote: »
    For everyone who hasn't said a bad word about Suarez please join me in a guilt-free happy day :)

The chap did not behave in a acceptable manner and actually gave us the proverbial finger at times. While I'm happy that he is seemingly staying, I do not in anyway regret the things I said about him. He is still those things as far as I'm concerned.

How much effort can we expect out of Suarez this season if he is forced to stay ?

I would say he'll give everything as he always does.

Sure it'd be in his best interest if he wants a big move next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

slingerz wrote: »

Nuri is a Huge Fan.

As for me, I'm of the Opinion that the more Good Dribblers there are in Liverpool, the Better we will be. So yeah, I'd be Happy with his Addition.

Will probably have Problems prying him from Chelsea though.

Ha, I presume this is tongue in cheek for the moment, but knowing this thread I'm worried people would use any new contract as a moral high ground of 'Never said a bad word against him'.

I called him an 'impetuous little scrote', but I'll still celebrate his goals if he decided to score any more.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well I have said plenty bad about him but always did never liked the chap ever but I will always say I'd rather him with liverpool than without because his effort on the field of play is unrivalled and that's what he should be judged on I suppose.
    Still believe he thought Madrid would come for him so its a bit of a kick on the teeth for him nobody came for him.
    I'm sure most fans will still idolise him at stevies testimonial I think I was the only one that didn't cheer for him when he came on so he's still adored.
    Lets hope he can keep scoring goals for us
    He's a knacker but at least he's our knacker

I didn't cheer either, remained pretty impassive, much like my attitude to the whole saga. I did hear a few boos around where I was though, but mostly loud cheers obviously.

I'm happy that he is staying (if he does) but realistic enough to know that it has nothing to do with the fans support whatsoever. I'm sure his twitter/facebook has been bombarded with the opposite of support over the last week especially.
    I am waiting for Mr Alan to come on and lavish kudos on Ian Ayre and Brendan Rodgers for getting Suarez to say - like he said he would.

Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I would say he'll give everything as he always does.

Sure it'd be in his best interest if he wants a big move next summer

I agree.

I actually think he'll play his socks off to show other clubs that he is one of the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Obviously not confirmed yet but...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85665048&postcount=9507

I feel justified to an extent!

Not so much on here, but all my mates telling me there is no way he can stay now etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quiet enough over night then.

I'll believe Suarez when I see him leaning against a fence at Melwood. Likewise Willian, Sakho, and Siqueira.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The chap did not behave in a acceptable manner and actually gave us the proverbial finger at times. While I'm happy that he is seemingly staying, I do not in anyway regret the things I said about him. He is still those things as far as I'm concerned.

No, I agree I'm just worried he'll see the thread and be off again. Who'd have guessed footballers could be so fickle?

Don't expect an apology, and that was probably one of Rodgers slip ups during this. Creating huge pressure on someone to apologise, abliet not publicly gives journalists something to hang onto and ask about "Did he apologise, did he, did he?'. I think most fans don't care about an apology after all this, goals would do, like the guy or not.

I like Suarez's goals, but I'll say this. I won't be defending any bullsh1t behaviour on the pitch this season if he stays. Our relationship is purely business now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mike65 wrote: »
    Quiet enough over night then.

I'll believe Suarez when I see him leaning against a fence at Melwood. Likewise Willian, Sakho, and Siqueira.

I think there will just be a statement on website about Suarez and that will be it. Don't think there will be a blaze of publicity under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I think if he is still here come close of transfer window he will give 100% as he always has when playing for us. It does him no service at all to not give his all if he wants to move on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Liverpool's Martin Skrtel has confirmed that he has strained knee ligaments but hopes to be back in training this week.

Skrtel has not been released by the Reds to participate in Slovakia's international friendly against Romania on Wednesday because of the injury.

The centre-back explained: "The MRI scan confirmed that I have pulled ligaments in my left knee.

"It is nothing serious but when I want to put full weight on the knee or I kick the ball, it hurts a lot.

"I believe that I will resume training in the next few days."

When asked by the Slovakian media as to why he failed to report for international duty, Skrtel added: "We discussed the possibility of me at least going to watch the lads play.

"I was for this option, but Liverpool were against it. They didn't want me to give two days of possible treatment away like that."

Skrtel has been linked with a potential move away from Anfield but he insists is only focused on his fitness.

"Anything is possible," he explained. "There are alternatives, but the current priority for me is to be healthy again."

There has been a lot written about interest from Napoli but Skrtel denies that for the present, adding: "So far the manager of Napoli, Rafael Benitez, has not called me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Did Suarez get penalised by the club after the biting incident i.e. fines, suspend his wages?
    I wonder will they put something into his contract to penalise him if he does something stupid again?

I know the club need a player of his standard, I just really wish it was somebody other than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Delighted Suarez looks to be staying. It's like the club have signed a top player and Arsenal have lost one! Well played to Rodgers and Henry for managing this situation perfectly.

Now, on to the other items of business: signing quality players for the first team for the season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

That extension shouldn't be signed before the window closes.. Imagine his new clause was to come into play and he got snapped up a few days before the window closes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Ardent wrote: »
    Delighted Suarez looks to be staying. It's like the club have signed a top player and Arsenal have lost one! Well played to Rodgers and Henry for managing this situation perfectly.

Now, on to the other items of business: signing quality players for the first team for the season ahead.

That puts us 60 goals ahead of them if my maths is incorrect. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Keeping Suarez for another season would be great news. Fair play to Rodgers & FSG if it comes to pass.

Now....onto the pressing issue of actually signing quality players to improve our first team.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭banie01

100% Agreed!

I said in fairly clear and unambiguous terms what I thought of Suarez' attempts at angling for a move. (so clear I got a card!:( )
    I also said, I thought his Telegraph and Marca interviews were the end of him in an LFC shirt(and if I'm wrong, I'll enjoy seeing him in Red still)

I stand by what I said, granted yes him staying if it happens will be a ''bonus'' for our hopes for 4th.....
    But the very fact that its a ''bonus'' that a player who has 3 yrs left on a contract he willingly signed has ''decided'' to stay, is a sign of some of the wrongs with not just our club, but football in general.

My own view on this situation is that Agents and Players need to be taken to task in a stronger manner over situations such as this.
    The talk of contract clauses, then verbal commitment, then the Club being liars....
    In no other professional field of business would an employee be allowed to slander their Employer in such a fashion without serious action being taken.
    I have seen and been involved in legal action over much, much less inferred reputational damage.

There will come a time soon, during the next such saga that the next player and their advisors to chance this strategy will likely be sued to within an inch of bankruptcy(particularly if dealing with an American owned club, who will)
    And I expect to see sports lawyers scrambling to tie up these grounds in future contracts.

I am in general very happy with the way LFC handled this situation.
    But the level of petulance, lying and outright poor behaviour shown by Suarez over this entire saga has soured his relationship with the club.

That said, other players have come back from similar and have thrived.....
    I'm not going to count anything, be they chickens or fish fingers til I see an LFC press release on the subject.

But looking at holding onto our long term contracted player as some sort of ''coup'' really shows up 3 things...
    1. How far we have fallen in regards to attracting and affording top class talent!
    2. How much control has devolved onto Agents.
    3. How poor our current window has been, when a LFC fan can look at us enforcing our contract with a player and standing firm....
    And say ''best bit of business all summer''

• Advertisement

Did Suarez get penalised by the club after the biting incident i.e. fines, suspend his wages?
    I wonder will they put something into his contract to penalise him if he does something stupid again?

I know the club need a player of his standard, I just really wish it was somebody other than him

Well we said we did. Who knows how to prove if we fined him, but it was said. I doubt any new contract will have a 'no bollocks' clause. I'd say it will be all in favour of Suarez for the 6 months/Season he stays.

Hey, maybe Suarez will make a "gentleman's promise" to stay cool out there. We all know how cast iron those are ;)

Grayditch wrote: »
    I like Suarez's goals, but I'll say this. I won't be defending any bullsh1t behaviour on the pitch this season if he stays. Our relationship is purely business now :)

This. The guy is a pish taker extraordinaire. I won't be cheering any of his goal if he stays. I'll just note the good approach work and the assist. I'll also assume that whatever happens re CL qualification he will be off in either January (if its not going well) or next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SlickRic wrote: »
    to those thankful they didn't say a bad word about Suarez, what has he done to not warrant disdain from the fans?

he's still everything he ever was.

he's still shown the club an enormous amount of disrespect, and if we a suitor from abroad had come in earlier with a big bid, it wouldn't have really bothered me for him to go.

the thing is, it's now too late in the window, and only Arsenal want him - a move the club have remained staunch about him not getting.

if he now stays, fine. i'm going to find it hard to want to see him do well after his behaviour, but that will ultimately be superseded by the fact I want the club to do well, so i'll get over that one. he's our best player, and there's no way we can replace him before the transfer window's end.

not having any of this business disrupt anything in the dressing room would be an outstanding piece of work by Rodgers. it remains to be seen.

oh, and...

3 days.

Spot on. He is still our best player by some distance, and our only player in and around the world class bracket, but as I said last week he is now stripped of any mystique, and will never get the same level of affection from the home and travelling support that he once did. Sure he will get cheered and roared on, but it will be like any other player does rather than the unconditional in ground support he used to get.

Come January or next summer he is gone anyway, so let's just hope he plays well for however long he has left, and then he becomes just another ex player.

Ah, I'll cheer his goals. They're Liverpool goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

i dont see a down side here.

we keep a world class striker
    a direct rival for 4th place doesnt get him

reasons he will play his best and score as many goals as he can:
    - its a world cup year
    - if he has a clause in his contract to leave next summer
    - he will want to prove he is worth 50+ million

and then there is the fact that he might want to actually stay if we get champions league next season.

Stevie G wanted to leave at one time too. but he also stayed at the last minute. right now you would never think of gerrard leaving the club

why would we not cheer his goals and cheer every moment he is on the pitch. after the first game back no one will give a crap about what happened over the summer. he will earn his place back in the side and we will love him again. its not like alot of us fell that deeply for him after the torres saga anyway. torres stopped us from falling for new players so hard. that fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

This. The guy is a pish taker extraordinaire. I won't be cheering any of his goal if he stays. I'll just note the good approach work and the assist. I'll also assume that whatever happens re CL qualification he will be off in either January (if its not going well) or next summer.

I'll just wait and see if he scores a 90th minute winner after but meggin Evra, to move us into the top four before I make any claims like not cheering his goals :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

How would people feel about Sakho replacing Agger at Liverpool?

That's a ridiculous post, but much like Suarez himself, you had painted yourself into a corner somewhat.

If he scores a 93rd minute winner at OT you wouldn't cheer? No player is bigger than the club you regularly opine (which is true) yet you are letting one player stop you cheering for the club.

5starpool wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous post, but much like Suarez himself, you had painted yourself into a corner somewhat.

If he scores a 93rd minute winner at OT you wouldn't cheer? No player is bigger than the club you regularly opine (which is true) yet you are letting one player stop you cheering for the club.

Where did I say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

amiable wrote: »

Bad timing with so many other changes going on in defense.

Saying that, he would be an excellent addition.

I know he can play on the left aswel but I have never seen him play there.

Where did I say that?

You said you won't cheer the goal if he scores. Pretty clear in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

o55k9.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

So you'll be noting his own approach work before he scores and I wouldn't put it past him to provide his own assist at some stage either.

You are telling us, as a Liverpool fan, that if Suarez scores a 90th minute winner at old Trafford to win 2-3 then you won't celebrate ?

Really ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

billy2012 wrote: »
    Bad timing with so many other changes going on in defense.

Saying that, he would be an excellent addition.

I know he can play on the left aswel but I have never seen him play there.

I haven't seen much of him but I was under the impression he played primarily at left CB?

On another note, anyone think we'll see this again or is it going to be strictly business from now on?

kissthebadge_suarez1.jpg

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I haven't seen much of him but I was under the impression he played primarily at left CB?

He is a left sided centre back that can fill in at left back

5starpool wrote: »
    You said you won't cheer the goal if he scores. Pretty clear in fairness.

Get up the yard. I said I'd note the approach play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

why "replacing"?

why not "joining"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

~Rebel~ wrote: »

kissthebadge_suarez1.jpg/QUOTE]

Yea he does play left CB, but AFAIK he can comfortably play LB aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Keeping Suarez for another season would be great news. Fair play to Rodgers & FSG if it comes to pass.

Holy moly, I nearly spat my tea out when I read this. To paraphrase Eamon Dunphy, 'Have you jumped the fence baby?' Are you in the Pro FSG/Rodgers camp now Mr Alan? Welcome aboard if you are.

ps, just kidding :D

SlickRic wrote: »
    why "replacing"?

why not "joining"?
    I don't think Liverpool plan on playing two left sided centrebacks together but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Get up the yard. I said I'd note the approach play.

If he scores the kind of goal he did for his first hat-trick against Norwich (wins a tackle on halfway line, chips keeper from 40 yards) will you not cheer?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement