Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

fangee wrote: »
    So you'll be noting his own approach work before he scores and I wouldn't put it past him to provide his own assist at some stage either.

You are telling us, as a Liverpool fan, that if Suarez scores a 90th minute winner at old Trafford to win 2-3 then you won't celebrate ?

Really ?

Not if he scores it for Utd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kfallon wrote: »
    If he scores the kind of goal he did for his first hat-trick against Norwich (wins a tackle on halfway line, chips keeper from 40 yards) will you not cheer?

I'll be happy the team have scored but Luis baby can beg for my forgiveness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

mike65 wrote: »
    I'll be happy the team have scored but Luis baby can beg for my forgiveness!

I wouldn't hold your breath for the begging tbh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Dickerty wrote: »
    Sturridge played 90 mins.
    McLaughlin was one of our best players.
    Ibe was another...

Speaking of friendlies, I see Jonjo "Stevie G" Shelvey was on show last night - a number of raking passes from deep to set up goals, and a beautiful curling finish from 25 yards.

I hope we have a big sell-on clause!

Regarding Shelvey, it could go either way. He could go on to be a really good player, maybe even the new Lampard. However, he could just as easily not make it. What was certain was they he would never get the chance to develop at Anfield because he was behind Gerrard, Allen, and Hendo in the pecking order. Sometimes a move is the best for both parties.

But you are right, I do hope we have a big sell-on clause!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

amiable wrote: »
    How would people feel about Sakho replacing Agger at Liverpool?

From you, that feels like a scarily loaded question!

No thanks, even considering a £10M cash benefit.
    Agger is one of us, loyalty and belonging has to count for something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

How would people feel about Sakho replacing Agger at Liverpool?

Has been discussed quite a bit on here and again in the last few days.

If, and it is only an if because Agger is going nowhere imo, we did need a new CB in place of Agger, then Sakho would have all the qualities needed top be an upgrade in that position.

Right now he is probably in the tier just below the one that has the likes of Silva, Kompany, and Hummels in it. But he is very close to being a top class centre back and at only 23 years of age he has the time and potential to become a world class one.

Very few weaknesses of note in his game, and is strong in pretty much every department crucial to being an excellent centre back.

My only reservation about him as a player is how good would he be if used in the RCB full time. If he could transfer his left sided form to the RCB slot then he would be a massive improvement to our back line.

There are hints in his play that he would be better equipped to adapt to the RCB role than Agger could. Posted on this some time back, but whereas Agger going forward normally only uses the left channel/left of centre channel to advance forward in, Sakho will use both the left and right side despite being a very left sided player. Also when attacking corners and frees, Sakho will drift into the right channels and will also use his right foot more than Agger does.

Fantastic talent though, and easily the most talented centre back we have been linked to in recent years. Would be a very exciting signing as itwould be genuine class coming in. Personally if he was interested in coming to Liverpool and willing to play in the RCB alongside Agger, then I would not have any of the CBs we have been linked with over him, and would go as far as to say that I would not have any young centre back (20 to 25 bracket) in the game today, save for Hummels, over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I haven't seen much of him but I was under the impression he played primarily at left CB?

On another note, anyone think we'll see this again or is it going to be strictly business from now on?

kissthebadge_suarez1.jpg

Maybe "For the fans"

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

All while more players have left than have joined, two summers in a row??

Is the summer over?
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Willian would be an exciting signing. I think we'd all be pulling our hair out at him half the time, but he'd bring a sparkle to proceedings and it would crucially give us another player capable of causing mayhem out of nowhere for an opposition defense.

Any combination of:

Coutinho

Sturridge
    Suarez
    Willian

would be top notch. Assuming Coutinho and Sturridge maintain their form of course.

Would also help to keep Borini well away from the pitch, which is important.

Is it the high price tag that impresses you the most?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

If we keep Suarez, add a CB, and a LB. At that point I would prefer us buy a decent defensive midfielder rather than a LWF (but both would be better of course). I just don't see the likes of Lucas, Allen + Gerrard offering much steel in front of the defense, I think it's a big part of the reason Agger and Skrtel looked so poor at times last season.

• Advertisement

Japan vs Uruguay is on the moment, Suarez starting for those who don't know.

edit - should have scored there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

If we end up with willian suarez and sahko getting sorted, serious top 4 challenge is likely.

The flip side is its very possible none of these players will be here...

Oh transfer window... You've done it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Kess73 wrote: »
    Has been discussed quite a bit on here and again in the last few days.

If, and it is only an if because Agger is going nowhere imo, we did need a new CB in place of Agger, then Sakho would have all the qualities needed top be an upgrade in that position.

Right now he is probably in the tier just below the one that has the likes of Silva, Kompany, and Hummels in it. But he is very close to being a top class centre back and at only 23 years of age he has the time and potential to become a world class one.

Very few weaknesses of note in his game, and is strong in pretty much every department crucial to being an excellent centre back.

My only reservation about him as a player is how good would he be if used in the RCB full time. If he could transfer his left sided form to the RCB slot then he would be a massive improvement to our back line.

There are hints in his play that he would be better equipped to adapt to the RCB role than Agger could. Posted on this some time back, but whereas Agger going forward normally only uses the left channel/left of centre channel to advance forward in, Sakho will use both the left and right side despite being a very left sided player. Also when attacking corners and frees, Sakho will drift into the right channels and will also use his right foot more than Agger does.

Fantastic talent though, and easily the most talented centre back we have been linked to in recent years. Would be a very exciting signing as itwould be genuine class coming in. Personally if he was interested in coming to Liverpool and willing to play in the RCB alongside Agger, then I would not have any of the CBs we have been linked with over him, and would go as far as to say that I would not have any young centre back (20 to 25 bracket) in the game today, save for Hummels, over him.

I'm trying to think of a team that played successfully with two left sided CBs. I can't think of any! Is there something inherently wrong with lefties that they can't learn to play with their right foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

El Inho wrote: »
    If we end up with willian suarez and sahko getting sorted, serious top 4 challenge is likely.

The flip side is its very possible none of these players will be here...

Oh transfer window... You've done it again

All ifs, buts and maybes at this stage though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Get up the yard. I said I'd note the approach play.

lol, note the approach play. What if there is no approach play? If he disposseses someone on the halfway line and scores, or fires in a free kick, or wins and scores a penalty with Gerrard off the pitch, or intercepts a backpass and scores? Seems like you'll be all arms folded and grumpypuss about things in those cases.

Even if it's a traditional goal with an assist, note it means "hmmm, nice interplay between Coutinho and Sturridge there to cross the ball". It doesn't imply cheering of any sort. I expect your post to be 'Miked' at some point in the season, i.e. wait until an opportune time when you go 'Yesssss' or similar in a thread and someone will be lying in wait with the link to show your hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Japan vs Uruguay is on the moment, Suarez starting for those who don't know.

edit - should have scored there.

If he scores I'm expecting him to celebrate by pulling jersey over his head to reveal red top with "Sorry, can I come back?" handwritten on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

SlickRic wrote: »
    to those thankful they didn't say a bad word about Suarez, what has he done to not warrant disdain from the fans?

he's still everything he ever was.

he's still shown the club an enormous amount of disrespect, and if a suitor from abroad had come in earlier with a big bid, it wouldn't have really bothered me for him to go.

the thing is, it's now too late in the window, and only Arsenal want him - a move the club have remained staunch about him not getting.

if he now stays, fine. i'm going to find it hard to want to see him do well after his behaviour, but that will ultimately be superseded by the fact I want the club to do well, so i'll get over that one. he's our best player, and there's no way we can replace him before the transfer window's end.

not having any of this business disrupt anything in the dressing room would be an outstanding piece of work by Rodgers. it remains to be seen.

oh, and...

100% this

3 days.
    The chap did not behave in a acceptable manner and actually gave us the proverbial finger at times. While I'm happy that he is seemingly staying, I do not in anyway regret the things I said about him. He is still those things as far as I'm concerned.

100 % this aswell ...

if he is given a raise after all this ill die a little inside though..he should not be rewarded for his behaviour, bonuses for goals scored yes..pay rise please no.

djPSB wrote: »
    All ifs, buts and maybes at this stage though.

Exactly what I was implying :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Any credibility to those Willian links? Guy has a great assist record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

If we keep Suarez, add a CB, and a LB. At that point I would prefer us buy a decent defensive midfielder rather than a LWF (but both would be better of course). I just don't see the likes of Lucas, Allen + Gerrard offering much steel in front of the defense, I think it's a big part of the reason Agger and Skrtel looked so poor at times last season.

Amen. We are crying out for a bit more steel in midfield. Allen is a tidy player but just too light-weight and Lucas still doesn't convince (yes I know he went through a superb patch of form just before his big injury).

5starpool wrote: »
    lol, note the approach play. What if there is no approach play? If he disposseses someone on the halfway line and scores, or fires in a free kick, or wins and scores a penalty with Gerrard off the pitch, or intercepts a backpass and scores? Seems like you'll be all arms folded and grumpypuss about things in those cases.

Even if it's a traditional goal with an assist, note it means "hmmm, nice interplay between Coutinho and Sturridge there to cross the ball". It doesn't imply cheering of any sort. I expect your post to be 'Miked' at some point in the season, i.e. wait until an opportune time when you go 'Yesssss' or similar in a thread and someone will be lying in wait with the link to show your hypocrisy.

You can think what you flippin' well like

Suarez has been a thoroughgoing disgrace. I'm not going to give him my positive emotional input, if he kisses the badge I'll snort and imagine you cheering the little sh1t.

• Advertisement

Vanolder wrote: »
    Any credibility to those Willian links? Guy has a great assist record.

All over Russian media claiming talks have begun between us and Anzhi is all I can say, whether sources are credible or not, I'm not sure. I'll ask around the few Russian football folk I follow on Twitter in a bit and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Man, our FIFA rating is bouncing between 3 and 4.5 stars right now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

All over Russian media claiming talks have begun between us and Anzhi.

Must not get hopes up...must not get hopes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

James Pearce of Echo and Tony Barret of the Times reporting it along with Ben Smith of BBC.

Apparently Liverpool never made an approach for Diego Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

One of the echo guys said it too, also said the sequiera (sp?) is close to being done. BuyAllTheBrazillians.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

James Pearce of Echo and Tony Barret of the Times reporting it along with Ben Smith of BBC.

It seems I was right.

The Costa and Soldado Links never made any sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

hmmm yeah but we've been at this stage before. It was widely reported iirc that we were negotiating for HM. And as I understand it we did submit bids but Rodgers subsequently said that we never got to negotiate with the player himself. It went on for so long im surprised we never even got to talk to him.

I hope, if these links are true, that we can move a bit quicker on this one before Klopp or AVB get their dirty mitts in there!

#dortmundsnakesinthegrass :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just as well as he'd have thrown a big gobbler into their face.

Suarez assist for Forlan, 1-0.

Who said that? I think when Rodgers was asked about it last week he said something like he 'believed Costa had signed a new contract' (which he has). Why would he answer like that if we had no interest? He could have just said 'no thats not true'.

• Advertisement

Mike would not cheer this assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can you describe his body language for me nuri please? :p

gafferino wrote: »
    Who said that? I think when Rodgers was asked about it last week he said something like he 'believed Costa had signed a new contract' (which he has). Why would he answer like that if we had no interest? He could have just said 'no thats not true'.
    Not sure if Rodgers said that but if he did it may have been to put it to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I don't believe any of this Suarez staying craic unless I see him with croc tears in his eyes at some PR do with BR on one side and Ayre on the other.... :-)

I know the journo in question knows him best but I still find it hard to believe.....

Fieldog wrote: »
    I don't believe any of this Suarez staying craic unless I see him with croc tears in his eyes at some PR do with BR on one side and Ayre on the other.... :-)

I know the journo in question knows him best but I still find it hard to believe.....
    Even if he hasn't said it I sincerely doubt he is going anywhere given FSG's stance and he has 3 years left on his contract

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You can think what you flippin' well like

Suarez has been a thoroughgoing disgrace. I'm not going to give him my positive emotional input, if he kisses the badge I'll snort and imagine you cheering the little sh1t.

I'll be cheering the team, as ever. I didn't cheer him at the testimonial. I'll cheer his contributions to the team though, you can be sure of that, the same as I'd cheer any player doing something well on the pitch while wearing a Liverpool jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Kess, I seem to remember you writing about WillIAn before or was it another brazilian in the russian league?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

any ideas on starting XI I'd like to see.
    Mignolet
    wisdom toure agger johnson
    lucas gerrard
    aspas coutinho enrique
    sturridge

I really think coutinho needs to be played off sturridge and enrique is probably our best option on the left.

gafferino wrote: »
    Mike would not cheer this assist.

I am unmoved.

• Advertisement

PRAF wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of a team that played successfully with two left sided CBs. I can't think of any! Is there something inherently wrong with lefties that they can't learn to play with their right foot!

Badstuber and Boateng at Bayern are lefties and have played pretty well side by side. Actually Dante may be a leftie as well now that I think of Bayern.

Milan have had a few leftie pairings over the years as well.

But the Bayern duo are probably the highest profile pairing I can think of that are in the game right now ( I know Badstuber is out injured

He could/should easily have a few assists already, played a ball bit behind Lodeiro and Forlan in one instance and just there, a Lodeiro shot was comfortably saved. Japan can't handle him whatsoever that's clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

klose wrote: »
    One of the echo guys said it too, also said the sequiera (sp?) is close to being done. BuyAllTheBrazillians.jpg

A front 4 of Sturridge, Willian, Suarez and Coutinho in my opinion could possibly be the best front line we'll have had as a club since Aldridge, Barnes, Beardsley and Houghton

Must ..not ...get..hopes..up!

Mignolet
    wisdom toure agger johnson
    lucas gerrard
    aspas coutinho enrique
    sturridge

I really think coutinho needs to be played off sturridge and enrique is probably our best option on the left.

That's a bit mental. If rather drop wisdom, Johnson on the right, Enrique to the left and start sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

He could/should easily have a few assists already, played a ball bit behind Lodeiro and Forlan in one instance and just there, a Lodeiro shot was comfortably saved. Japan can't handle him whatsoever that's clear.

Who made the Amazing Run for the Japanese Side that almost had an Assist, was it Kagawa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Good article on Amiable's (sorry Moley'sBTK) site :D

http://www.beyondthekop.com/4/post/2013/08/willian-anzhi.html

I read that Willian is on €50k pw with Anshi , but russian tax rate is only 13% which is why its attractive to go there. Lets say we offer him around €100k pw (I think the tax rate is 45% in the UK for those earning over £150k pa) wonder if that would nab him.

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    Kess, I seem to remember you writing about WillIAn before or was it another brazilian in the russian league?

Yep went on about him a season or two ago along with Welliton who also plays in the Russian league butwho was loaned to Gremio some months back.

Good article on Amiable's (sorry Moley'sBTK) site :D

http://www.beyondthekop.com/4/post/2013/08/willian-anzhi.html

I read that Willian is on €50k pw with Anshi , but russian tax rate is only 13% which is why its attractive to go there. Lets say we offer him around €100k pw (I think the tax rate is 45% in the UK for those earning over £150k pa) wonder if that would nab him.
    I wish that was my site

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

El Inho wrote: »
    That's a bit mental. If rather drop wisdom, Johnson on the right, Enrique to the left and start sterling

its hardly mental a bit OTT there. Enrique was quite good in an advanced position last December. Your team has 1 player different to mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Mignolet
    Johnson toure agger enrique
    lucas gerrard
    aspas Allen coutinho
    sturridge

Would be my guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if Suarez is staying...i do not wish him well. i do wish the club well though. so may he score goals aplenty while he's still here.

he's an employee whose good at his job.

then he can fúck off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement