Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Hearing a big story from Anfield today, can't say anything but its worth that wait....

3 days later a story breaks - remember that story I couldn't mention. Well that was it.

ITK are so full of ****, the vagueness wrecks my ceann!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Poor ol Sahin.

I be honest, I was majorly excited when I heard we were going for him. Classy player.

Pity!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

jenno86 wrote: »
    Hearing a big story from Anfield today, can't say anything but its worth that wait....

3 days later a story breaks - remember that story I couldn't mention. Well that was it.

Posting up an "ITK" hunch without a link doesn't really help with either the specifics or the ceannwrecking.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

jenno86 wrote: »

Its all about the followers that they want, most of them just cobble together various pieces of news that they get and rebrand it.

Others are just lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Dickerty wrote: »
    We have no idea who else might have been in for them. Most deals don't attract bidding wars, you keep it as quiet as possible until it's as close as possible. But I am sure Celta wanted to keep Aspas (their star player) and Sunderland would have certainly kept Mignolet. We may good money because the player wants to join and the club finds a figure they can live with.

But with Carroll, Downing, Henderson and Allen (IMO), we should have had a Plan B and C. When the price exceed the worth of the player, we should have gone elsewhere. If Aspas had been priced a few million higher, we wouldn't have done a deal, we would have moved to an alternative. We've seen that with Papa (complicated by the injury), and with Cissokho (where he wants a higher wage). It's hard ball, you will lose out sometimes, but it's a far better approach than the "all-in" we used to do.

They didnt keep them, they cashed in for good money. People are going on like Aspas is 'ready to rock' in the EPL, he is 26 and played 1 season in any top division.

daithijjj wrote: »
    They didnt keep them, they cashed in for good money. People are going on like Aspas is 'ready to rock' in the EPL, he is 26 and played 1 season in any top division.

He is a late developer :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Was listening to Newstalk last night about Sahin, allegedly he was very unsettled from the moment he arrived at RM, and his form dropped off drastically. That definitely continued on to his time at Liverpool. He showed glimpses at Liverpool of what he was capable of, but he seemed like a player completely out of sorts.

I was thinking along those lines. The guy just flopped for no apparent reason. It was clear IMO, he didn't want to play for LFC.

No problem there on yor bike lad. However, it's annoying to read that he was played out of position, its the managers fault.. etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

That's not what we were talking about though. They got fair money, whereas 2 years ago we would have been more likely to overpay.

I don't expect Aspas to be a huge star, but i think he'll get 8-10 goals, will start a good number of games. So a replacement for Bellamy or Kuyt.

T-K-O wrote: »
    I was thinking along those lines. The guy just flopped for no apparent reason. It was clear IMO, he didn't want to play for LFC.

No problem there on yor bike lad. However, it's annoying to read that he was played out of position, its the managers fault.. etc etc

Was he not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You were never getting him at either juncture. Wasn't going to leave Porto half way through that season and we weren't going to beat Chelsea for him at that stage.

He may very well have been gettable last summer though.

He could be gettable next summer too if they dont make cl this season :p which i think they will, arsenals time there could be up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

billy2012 wrote: »
    Poor ol Sahin.

I be honest, I was majorly excited when I heard we were going for him. Classy player.

Pity!!

I was pretty annoyed that you got him and Arsenal missed out.

then I was even more angry when Rodgers didn't use him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wonder who took RAWk down...its no better worse than this place right now.

billy2012 wrote: »
    Was he not?

For a guy with his reported ability. No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Maybe. What we know is that Martinez and Rodgers were interviewed. Would AVB have declined to talk to us if we had made a strong approach immediately following Dalglish's departure offering a good wage package though? Maybe he would, but I'd be surprised if he wouldn't have at least met with Henry but I could be totally wrong on that.

Kenny was sacked a good month before Redknapp last Summer if you look at the dates. There was also quotes from AVB at the time indicating that he'd be interested in the Liverpool job.

He didn't seem to be properly approached for some reason. The owners were probably out off of hiring someone that had badly failed in his last job (despite the circumstances)

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I was pretty annoyed that you got him and Arsenal missed out.

then I was even more angry when Rodgers didn't use him :D

The team was struggling and we couldn't afford to carry him, when he did play he offered nothing.

He was OK against Norwich but not good enough to break into the 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

For all the hype around AVB, he took a team that finished 4th under Harry the season before to 5th in his first season. It's funny, because people hate Harry, they're all too quick to wallpaper over the fantastic legacy that he left behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Blatter wrote: »
    Kenny was sacked a good month before Redknapp last Summer if you look at the dates. There was also quotes from AVB at the time indicating that he'd be interested in the Liverpool job.

He didn't seem to be properly approached for some reason. The owners were probably out off of hiring someone that had badly failed in his last job (despite the circumstances)

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't seem like they approached him or Rafa. For whatever reason, Martinez and Rodgers were the desired candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Blatter wrote: »

That probably hit the nail on the head. The Chelsea project under AVB was a bit of a disaster. He dropped established players which is fine as long as you get results.....which were a bit lacklustre. A few people were wondering where he would go from that disappointment and a few idiots even thought he was a spoofer he wouldn't get hired back at another top club.

To be fair, every manager has "failed" at Chelsea no matter what they won. It shouldn't be used as a stick to beat any manager with.

Spurs and Levy knew exactly what they were getting with AVB so they will probably reap the benefits of that decision in the years to come. It helps that spurs are a brilliant club in the transfer market. He will be given the players he wants which didn't happen ironically at Chelsea.
    For all the hype around AVB, he took a team that finished 4th under Harry the season before to 5th in his first season. It's funny, because people hate Harry, they're all too quick to wallpaper over the fantastic legacy that he left behind.

Redknapp leaves a trail of destruction behind wherever he goes and has a history of overpaying for players. He can spot talent, no doubt about that. But he admits himself he "doesn't do tactics" so as a man to assemble a reasonable team with a lot of money....he's your guy. But to actually coach and manage a team......I think not personally.

Lots and lots expected of Sturridge, Coutinho and Aspas this season. There was plenty expected of Borini and Allen too last summer.

If Coutinho and Sturridge merely do 'well' (think 4 / 10; 12 / 5 in terms of goals and assists) and have one off game in every three we're in trouble. That scares the life out of me tbh.

Was listening to Newstalk last night about Sahin, allegedly he was very unsettled from the moment he arrived at RM, and his form dropped off drastically. That definitely continued on to his time at Liverpool. He showed glimpses at Liverpool of what he was capable of, but he seemed like a player completely out of sorts.
    I said it at the time. His attitude wasn't right - and if there's one thing Rodgers won't accept, it's players who don't have their heads screwed on.

• Advertisement

This. Bale had an extraordinary season, carried them in a number of games. But his signings were hit and miss (Dembele, Lloris and Vertonghen good but all £10M+; Dempsey, Gylfi and Adebayor not so much), and he's already spent £50M this summer. If he doesn't get 4th, he could be under pressure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Didn't AVB get more points than Harry last season?

I said it at the time. His attitude wasn't right - and if there's one thing Rodgers won't accept, it's players who don't have their heads screwed on.

:confused:

It's like you're talking about Alex Ferguson there tbh. Rodgers is managing a half decade - I don't think anyone knows what he will or won't accept. He's a long way to go before sentences like that are appropriate.

Agreed, when he did start he was disinterested to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »
    Wonder who took RAWk down...its no better worse than this place right now.

The fake Sky twitter was put up in there yesterday afternoon, complete with screenshots of the proper and trademarked logos etc which the fake account used.

The mods went on a mad rush to try and delete all of it yesterday, mostly in the Suarez thread in their transfer forum, but it appears that it did not go unnoticed yesterday evening and RAWK went down from that point.

Maybe massive companies don't like links to fake stuff using their logos being published on web forums. No doubt RAWK will return after it's "technical " difficulties.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Lots and lots expected of Sturridge, Coutinho and Aspas this season. There was plenty expected of Borini and Allen too last summer.

If Coutinho and Sturridge merely do 'well' (think 4 / 10; 12 / 5 in terms of goals and assists) and have one off game in every three we're in trouble. That scares the life out of me tbh.

A lot more is expected of Sturridge, Willian, Suarez and Coutinho by some people :eek::cool::o:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Kess73 wrote: »
    The fake Sky twitter was put up in there yesterday afternoon, complete with screenshots of the proper and trademarked logos etc which the fake account used.

The mods went on a mad rush to try and delete all of it yesterday, mostly in the Suarez thread in their transfer forum, but it appears that it did not go unnoticed yesterday evening and RAWK went down from that point.

Maybe massive companies don't like links to fake stuff using their logos being published on web forums. No doubt RAWK will return after it's "technical " difficulties.:)

Whatever Kess......we all know you trolled Paulegend.

Kirby wrote: »
    Redknapp leaves a trail of destruction behind wherever he goes and has a history of overpaying for players. He can spot talent, no doubt about that. But he admits himself he "doesn't do tactics" so as a man to assemble a reasonable team with a lot of money....he's your guy. But to actually coach and manage a team......I think not personally.
    Ah come on now! After Harry left, Spurs were probably in the best financial shape of any club in the top 6! Their wages were far lower than ours and Arsenal's and their transfer spending was pretty modest. Also, for a guy who is a rubbish coach, he did a pretty good job in converting a struggling left back into a £80M star....

Dickerty wrote: »
    That's not what we were talking about though. They got fair money, whereas 2 years ago we would have been more likely to overpay.

I don't expect Aspas to be a huge star, but i think he'll get 8-10 goals, will start a good number of games. So a replacement for Bellamy or Kuyt.

It was a very simple fix to not overpay in general. Clubs will overpay, its the nature of the game from time to time.

The question people need to put to themselves, and its a simple one, what are we doing wrong that Spurs appear to be doing right. When you strip it all away its obvious.

To put it some kind of perspective, of our last 6 signings, 2 were not playing for the first team or sporadic selections, another was not wanted and let go for free, another was playing in the Spanish version of the Championship, and the other 2 were playing in teams who almost got relegated. Im not even discussing the individuals themselves as players. Im talking about what this club has upstairs in terms of clout and know how to get deals done that will actually improve the first team.

Case in point, how long was Levy chasing Damiao?, basically it seemed like 2 years. He changed things in June, what did he do?. He greased the wheels and its paying dividends imo. LFC appears to run into brick wall after brick wall. I dont think people can deny this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

AVB was very fortunate last season, with Bale winning them alot of games all by himself.

There's no denying that he has bought impressively this summer though.

Harry's philosophy didn't focus much on the long term. He signed players like Friedel and Parker. AVB signings will set them up fairly well for the seasons ahead.

• Advertisement

Not sure why people hate RAWK so much. For news on fringe and under 21 players, I find it one of the best sites around. The world would definitely be a poorer place without it.

T-K-O wrote: »
    The team was struggling and we couldn't afford to carry him, when he did play he offered nothing.

He was OK against Norwich but not good enough to break into the 11

Funny how the fact that Sahin was out with a worse injury than Lucas, and had even less club games in the year prior to joining Liverpool than Lucas had in the same time never comes into it.

People on some fan sites are still talking about giving Lucas time to come back from his injury despite the fact he returned to the first team nine months ago, yet Sahin being played in a role he never excelled in was expected to hit the ground running by some on various fan sites.

For me the whole Sahin situation was a cock up by Rogers. He brought in a player that was returning to full time footy and did not use the player in the role the player made his name playing in. We had Gerrard playing some pretty poor stuff at that point in the season in the position that Sahin made his name in and Sahin doing likewise in the position that Gerrard had excelled in in the past.

:confused:

It's like you're talking about Alex Ferguson there tbh. Rodgers is managing a half decade - I don't think anyone knows what he will or won't accept. He's a long way to go before sentences like that are appropriate.

Seriously? So if a manager says "This is how I do things" and he shows that in his actions over a period of a few years, that doesn't mean anything? How long does he have to do it, 20 years? 30?

Rodgers has ALWAYS been a non-nonsense guy. At a club our size, he probably has the luxury to do that more cause we have some depth. So if someone steps out of line, he puts them in their place.

The handling of Sterling during the season was good, his offloading of Sahin when it wasn't working, turning around Downings form and the hard line with Suarez are all signs that he won't suffer fools gladly.

gafferino wrote: »
    Whatever Kess......we all know you trolled Paulegend.

Took down RAWK too. Left Irish Kop and Est1892 alone though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not sure why people hate RAWK so much. For news on fringe and under 21 players, I find it one of the best sites around. The world would definitely be a poorer place without it.

That's its best thread by a mile. It used to have some decent ITK stuff but like the rest of the net they know now almost nothing.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Nothing useful so far in the PC funnily enough. No transfers imminent and doesn't want to speak about Suarez. the rest will be generic bluster about how good everyone looks and how much they are looking forward to the season proper starting.

It is excellent on that front, and if you look at other fan sites and on here, much of the under age/ressie news comes from posts on RAWK. Take RAWK away and a lot of that quality info would not trickle to the other sites as quickly.

I think our forward set up will do ok in isolation. Its CM/DM CB i have major issues with. Left back cover is also a necessity now rather than anything else. . We need to be aware of what others are doing in the market but not be held to it in some kind of comparison. Its us who are playing catch up, not Arsenal or United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

To put it some kind of perspective, of our last 6 signings, 2 were not playing for the first team or sporadic selections, another was not wanted and let go for free, another was playing in the Spanish version of the Championship, and the other 2 were playing in teams who almost got relegated. Im not even discussing the individuals themselves as players. Im talking about what this club has upstairs in terms of clout and know how to get deals done that will actually improve the first team.

I'm not sure what your point is?

Coutinho and Sturridge have been almost unqualified successes to date and it is far too early to judge the other 4.

I don't care who we have upstairs or what their clout is - I want more of the same as what we got last January.

Our new recruitment team have a 100% record so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Funny how the fact that Sahin was out with a worse injury than Lucas, and had even less club games in the year prior to joining Liverpool than Lucas had in the same time never comes into it.

People on some fan sites are still talking about giving Lucas time to come back from his injury despite the fact he returned to the first team nine months ago, yet Sahin being played in a role he never excelled in was expected to hit the ground running by some on various fan sites.

For me the whole Sahin situation was a cock up by Rogers. He brought in a player that was returning to full time footy and did not use the player in the role the player made his name playing in. We had Gerrard playing some pretty poor stuff at that point in the season in the position that Sahin made his name in and Sahin doing likewise in the position that Gerrard had excelled in in the past.

Agree Sahin needed consistent games to gain his match fitness like Lucas got. BR didn't warm to him personally imo and I think that's another reason why Sahin was let go early. Suppose the form at the time we couldn't take that chance to wait for him to click again. Its a shame though as Sahin was very impressive against Norwich and WBA? in the cup where he more or less ran the games

So the latest excuse for Sahin, We should not have signed him on loan in the first place.

A guy coming back from injury can at the very least look interested. Sahin did not. It drove mad when the opposition midfield jogged past him and he was strolling around looking at the sky.

I have always maintained he just wasn't right for what ever reason. The fact remains, he wasn't good enough to start. Such a shame because I thought we signed a star.

Im not hating on the guy but I won't make excuses for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Brendan Rodgers says he expects LFC to have Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel fit for Saturday's clash with Stoke City.
    LFC boss also confirms he plans to add to the squad before the window closes but won't be drawn on names

BR: "People are fed up listening about LS, just out of respect to players who have worked hard in pre-season I don't want to talk about him"

BR on Suarez: "I want to speak about players available for this weekend, I won't be speaking about him until he's available."

BR on new signings: "Nothing imminent"

BR: "We still hope to add one or two more before the window closes."

I think our forward set up will do ok in isolation. Its CM/DM CB i have major issues with. Left back cover is also a necessity now rather than anything else. . We need to be aware of what others are doing in the market but not be held to it in some kind of comparison. Its us who are playing catch up, not Arsenal or United.

Well, of course. I think everyone here identified a quality CB as a major need at the end of last season. Toure is not that no matter how delighted everyone might be with how he looks thus far.

And, as much as I'm hopeful with regards to Lucas, we needed genuine cover for him and can't be assuming Gerrard will play 30+ league games.

If I was being cynical, I'd say our squad additions were made with a mindfulness for who we intended to move out the door. If you know that Carragher / Downing / Shelvey / Carroll / Reina (Spearing wasn't in the squad last season) are on their bike then signing Aspas / Alberto / Mignolet / Toure is merely the bare minimum over standing still.

Tick tock, tick tock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

John Barnes and Peter Beardsley made their debuts on this day in 1987. And then they became legends for LFC.

tlA9wJql.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Brendan Rodgers says he expects LFC to have Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel fit for Saturday's clash with Stoke City.
    LFC boss also confirms he plans to add to the squad before the window closes but won't be drawn on names

BR: "People are fed up listening about LS, just out of respect to players who have worked hard in pre-season I don't want to talk about him"

BR on Suarez: "I want to speak about players available for this weekend, I won't be speaking about him until he's available."

BR on new signings: "Nothing imminent"

BR: "We still hope to add one or two more before the window closes."

Eh...wasent it atleast two and hopefully more a while back he was hoping to add? Bah, disappointing to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It was a very simple fix to not overpay in general. Clubs will overpay, its the nature of the game from time to time.

The question people need to put to themselves, and its a simple one, what are we doing wrong that Spurs appear to be doing right. When you strip it all away its obvious.

Case in point, how long was Levy chasing Damiao?, basically it seemed like 2 years. He changed things in June, what did he do?. He greased the wheels and its paying dividends imo. LFC appears to run into brick wall after brick wall. I dont think people can deny this.

1. Spurs are still in the uefa cup and spurs are going to get close to 100 Million for bale which is covering all this spending
    2. Spurs are a london club. easier to attract players
    3. We are not selling suares (no major funds coming in) and not in any european competition.
    4. We are still paying for the splurge that was carroll and co. In case you had not noticed we took a major hit on all those transfers
    5. We don't need a big squad for this season only a tight quality group and we are getting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

My starting XI for Saturday v Stoke

Mignolet

Johnson Toure Agger Enrique

Gerrard Lucas

Borini Coutinho Sterling

Sturridge

It was a hard choice between Lucas & Allen plus the same with Borini & Aspas. My reasoning for picking Borini, he has a season behind him not many games I know but a season of experience in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

klose wrote: »
    Eh...wasent it atleast two and hopefully more a while back he was hoping to add? Bah, disappointing to hear.

I wouldn't take his exact wording too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I wouldn't take his exact wording too seriously.

Which time?

klose wrote: »

Maybe that was when Suarez looked more likely to leave.

I still think it'll be 2, a LB looks very likely, and he has spoken at length about another attacker and moving Coutinho centrally.

Take everything with a bucket of salt.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement