Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mr Alan wrote: »
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-reject-stewart-downing-baffled-2172626

So that article about Downing above....I'm guessing I'm the only person it doesn't sit easy with?

One minute he's in the managers plans, the next he's not? The same manager is seemingly trying to make out Downing wanted the move, even implying it was for money? :confused:

Downing was always a top pro for us. Never moaned. Never whined. Played decent stuff the second half of last season too. Deserved better IMO.

Downing was a player who struggled with confidence for quite a while last season. Rodgers telling him he was in his plans could have just been to keep his confidence up. The fact is, during his two years at the club he was never good enough and only played because we had noone better. So it fits just fine with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

mike65 wrote: »
    Strange how a player who is the very embodiment on Mr Average is the subject of such salutation by Mr Alan.

I'm not claiming he was a great player by any stretch Mike. I'm referring mainly to his behaviour & attitude while at the club, both of which were exemplary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

opr wrote: »
    It makes me wonder did he even know much about Carroll going or was he shipped out under his nose similar to Downing. They seem like remarkably similar situations with Rodgers even saying after the whole Carroll thing that he would have never let him go had he known we wouldn't sign a replacement. It feels like at the moment that Rodgers' doesn't have as much power in the background as we might think.

Opr

There's obviously a large difference in the sense that there's buckets of time left to sign other players.

If we were left short again with this much time to get deals done however it wouldn't just reflect badly, it'd have to be sackings all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I see Masch is linked with a move to Rafa/Napoli. Pity Rafa has such a bad relationship with the players at Liverpool or it would be a great signing for them ;)
    Masch -"Napoli rumours? I can only say I have huge respect for Rafa, we're in touch almost every day. He helped me to become better."

Opr

I'd tend to agree with Opr.

If Downing is replaced with quality I'm happy enough. If not it wasn't the right decision.

If players are being sold without the managers consent I wouldn't be too comfortable with that at all. That's only speculation though.

Get some signings done for the sake of all our health!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Doesn't sit too well with me either Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-reject-stewart-downing-baffled-2172626

So that article about Downing above....I'm guessing I'm the only person it doesn't sit easy with?

One minute he's in the managers plans, the next he's not? The same manager is seemingly trying to make out Downing wanted the move, even implying it was for money? :confused:

Downing was always a top pro for us. Never moaned. Never whined. Played decent stuff the second half of last season too. Deserved better IMO.

Imagine for a minute that you are the manager. You have a player in your squad who, as a result of some transfers, is now a fringe player. No offers have yet been received for his services. Do you motivate this player by:

a) telling him that he is in your plans for the year and you expect to see the very best of him week in week out at training

or

b) tell him he is not in his plans but that there is no-one looking to buy him either

The former would be the right course of action in the circumstances. Subsequently an offer comes in that the club as a whole deem acceptable. You inform the player that the offer has been accepted. Of course he is disappointed as he thought he was an integral part of the team. But this is not some non-competitive U10 league, this is the big boys league and he'll have to accept that sometimes what you are told is tactical.

More good management (I'm not saying man management) skills from BR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

shamrock55 wrote: »
    This is liverpool we are talking about,im not being negative just realistic shur we were buying mickey t, costa, and sequeira too dont get me wrong id love willian but going on past experience i wouldnt hold my breath

I am taking the piss :D

You are being perfectly reasonable but be careful about that realism :D

opr wrote: »
    I see Masch is linked with a move to Rafa/Napoli. Pity Rafa has such a bad relationship with the players at Liverpool or it would be a great signing for them ;)

Opr

He is making some fairly good moves in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

El Inho wrote: »
    We could have a fro in the team... Had everyone overlooked the street cred that would earn us... He can even wear 88 if he wants

We will need a fro to counteract the ridiculous Kelly 'do'.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Downing was a player who struggled with confidence for quite a while last season. Rodgers telling him he was in his plans could have just been to keep his confidence up. The fact is, during his two years at the club he was never good enough and only played because we had noone better. So it fits just fine with me.

So you've problem with the club lying/jerking a player around as long as they get what they want at the end of it footballing wise??

Yet people cry & moan about respect, loyalty etc when it suits & we're on the receiving end of bad treatment, Suarez for example. Can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

If the club expects respect from players who want out, it should in turn show respect to players that the club wants out. That doesn't seem to be happening (Reina & Downing this summer, Henderson & Downing last year).

Ps. Downing struggling with confidence last season may have been as a result of Rodgers making him a pariah for the first half of the season & saying he didn't have a future at the club. Only when he ran Sterling into the ground Downing got into the team, did well & kept his place on merit. It was shocking management from Rodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He was linked to West Ham during the tour to Asia/Aus when he seemed to think he was safe and fighting for his place and rather foolishly blurted out same in public. Players come and go, he clearly wasn't as safe as he thought. Why he thought what he did is open to speculation. Maybe the only thing keeping him out of West Hams clutches in July was the 8 million price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Liverpool FC have stepped up their pursuit of Willian with the £30million-rated Brazilian winger admitting his interest in a move to Anfield.

By James Pearce

willian-5718794.jpg

The ECHO understands the Reds have opened negotiations with Anzhi Makhachkala over a fee following their initial enquiry earlier this week.

Anfield officials have been encouraged by the Russian outfit's willingness to do business and the player's desire to head for the Premier League.

“I'm hoping in the coming days to receive an offer from a club like Liverpool. It sure is a great club,” Willian said.

“I'm hopeful and very calm. Of course England is a league that many dream of playing in and I'm no different. My agent has had conversations with some clubs.

“I love the Premier League and the style of English football, and certainly if it happens it will be good for me. I'll grow professionally.”

Boss Brendan Rodgers has cash to spend after a summer when the club's transfer dealings have so far yielded a profit of around £5million.

Anzhi are keen to sell as billionaire owner Suleyman Kerimov looks to cut costs but they want to recoup the £30million they paid Shakhtar Donetsk for Willian back in January.

That hasn't deterred the Reds with owners Fenway Sports Group willing to finance a deal which would make the 25-year-old the second most expensive player in the club's history.

However, Willian would need to accept a reduction in the £100,000 per week salary he currently commands in the Republic of Dagestan.

Manchester City had a bid of around £34million for Willian rejected last month but that was before Kerimov decided to slash the wage bill and embark on a clearout of the club's prized assets.

The Brazil international, who has also attracted interest from Chelsea and Tottenham, has been told he can leave Anzhi but not at a knockdown price.

“He (Kerimov) doesn't want to let anyone go for free but he made it clear that if good bids arrive - something at least close to what he paid for the players - he would certainly help us go,” added Willian, who has been withdrawn from the Anzhi squad for tomorrow's game against Zenit.

“I've seen news of some clubs interested and my expectation is certainly great. It may happen tomorrow or on August 31.”

As the Reds look to agree a fee with Anzhi, their swoop for Granada's Guilherme Siqueira has been thrown into doubt.

Liverpool were confident of wrapping up a deal for the left-back this week but talks have now stalled after the asking price more than trebled.

The Reds, who had initially been told that Sigueira would be available for around £3.5million, were willing to pay £5.5million in order to secure his services.

However, Granada are now demanding £12million amidst claims that Real Madrid have entered the race for his signature.

If a compromise can't be quickly sorted then Liverpool will renew their interest in Valencia left-back Aly Cissokho.

The France international claimed last week that he had agreed personal terms with the Reds but admitted there was no deal in place between the clubs.

A previous round of talks had broken down because Liverpool wanted a year-long loan with the option to buy next summer but Valencia insisted on a permanent transfer with the cash up front.

Having let Jack Robinson join Blackpool on a season-long loan, Rodgers needs an established left-back to provide competition for Jose Enrique.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

gafferino wrote: »
    We will need a fro to counteract the ridiculous Kelly 'do'.

I'd say Kellys is more of a hair don't than a hair do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'm not claiming he was a great player by any stretch Mike. I'm referring mainly to his behaviour & attitude while at the club, both of which were exemplary.

He was on what, 80k a week? Too fcuking right his behaviour and attitude were exemplary, its the least the club should expect for such a wage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Doesn't sit too well with me either Alan

Doesn't sit with me either, I'm moving my chair away from it Jeremy Kyle style. In fact, let it stand. I won't have it sat near me at all, at all!

So you've problem with the club lying/jerking a player around as long as they get what they want at the end of it footballing wise??

Yet people cry & moan about respect, loyalty etc when it suits & we're on the receiving end of bad treatment, Suarez for example. Can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

If the club expects respect from players who want out, it should in turn show respect to players that the club wants out. That doesn't seem to be happening (Reina & Downing this summer, Henderson & Downing last year).

Ps. Downing struggling with confidence last season may have been as a result of Rodgers making him a pariah for the first half of the season & saying he didn't have a future at the club. Only when he ran Sterling into the ground Downing got into the team, did well & kept his place on merit. It was shocking management from Rodgers.

Why do you put yourself through it? You seem to detest everything about the club, can't be good for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Jesus lads, what's wrong with long hair. Would swear Kelly was committing murder with the talk of his hair.

On a side not. Thats some duckface Willian is pulling in that photo

• Advertisement

Lads, we ain't getting this Willian fella. No idea why anyone would get their hopes up.

klose wrote: »
    He was on what, 80k a week? Too fcuking right his behaviour and attitude were exemplary, its the least the club should expect for such a wage.

And what about the dickhead who is close to double but we are all hoping stays?

The whole You'll Never Walk Alone thing is romantic nonsense and the club is using and abusing players to suit their own needs. Tis fine is we are accepting of it but let's not pretend otherwise!

We don't care about how much player earns, how well he behaves or how hard he tries. They re-enforce our views of him if he is good but if we don't rate him, the rest counts for **** all.

Lads, we ain't getting this Willian fella. No idea why anyone would get their hopes up.

Better than giving out about Stewie being sold. :pac:

I jest, I jest.

Why do you put yourself through it? You seem to detest everything about the club, can't be good for your health.

I'm confused as to what part of my post you disagree with? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

This happens all the time at every football club and hell a lot of businesses too-its not the first time liverpool have done it and wont be the last either. It's not right IMO but its the way it is.

If indeed he was sold 'above' Rodgers head than that is nothing knew either at football clubs.
    Rodgers would have been happy to keep him as he is a decent utility player to have around and as you say has a good attitude. However it is obvious Rodgers was never overly enamoured with him as a player given he told him he could leave and even his comments today inferred this. So I'd imagine Rodgers wasnt too upset that they decided to sell him and I think the insinuation by some that Rodgers is a lapdog are wide of the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Would be nice though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

It won't happen, pretty sure of it.

And what about the dickhead who is close to double but we are all hoping stays?

The whole You'll Never Walk Alone thing is romantic nonsense and the club is using and abusing players to suit their own needs. Tis fine is we are accepting of it but let's not pretend otherwise!

We don't care about how much player earns, how well he behaves or how hard he tries. They re-enforce our views of him if he is good but if we don't rate him, the rest counts for **** all.

They're employees of the club. If the hierarchy decides to sell that's it.

As was said above, of course the manager is going to tell a player he is in his plans. He didn't want two players moping around sulking did he ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

So United are interested in Willian, have been offered Ozil, want Fabregas but have a backup in Modric who also has a backup in Fellaini.
    I am more confused than anything after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I thought I read somewhere that a lot of players have a much reduced tax liability than 50% because they get a salary from the club and then also get paid royalties or something for the image rights associated with the contract.
    Might be wrong, I'm far from a tax expert.

The high end of the tax rate in England is 45% as the high rate in the UK changed this year. The Russian rate is 13%, but there are add on taxes/charges there for high earners that reduce the income even before the 13% rate taken away.

It still works out a bit better than England if the same base income was offered in each country, but not by as much as the tax rates alone suggest.

They're employees of the club. If the hierarchy decides to sell that's it.

As was said above, of course the manager is going to tell a player he is in his plans. He didn't want to players mopping around sulking did he ?

That's fine. I am all for it.

So let's accept that players are there for money and trophies. They don't owe us anything if we don't give them what they expect and we shouldn't be too hurt if they leave.

• Advertisement

I'm confused as to what part of my post you disagree with? :confused:

Unlike you to be in a state of confusion!

As was said above, of course the manager is going to tell a player he is in his plans. He didn't want to players moping around sulking did he ?

You realise he did the total opposite last season right? Told Downing he wasn't in his plans...until he burned out young Sterling & was forced to use him.

So let's accept that players are there for money and trophies. They don't owe us anything if we don't give them what they expect and we shouldn't be too hurt if they leave.

It's happened before, it'll probably happen again.

I'm sure I'll bitch and moan when it does.

Unlike you to be in a state of confusion!

Care to answer my question?

What part of my post you originally quoted did disagree with? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You appear to have overlooked the contract they willingly signed.

Lads, Stevie Wonder could see that Downing is not fancied by the manager and was well down the pecking order, Downing must be as deluded as all us posters on here if he thought he was in the team!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

aramush wrote: »
    It won't happen, pretty sure of it.

Would be nice though :)

It you who is overlooking something Mike, two parties sign a contract. The club & the player. If clubs don't respect a contract, why should a player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Model pro player whinging about a manager after he leaves a club despite previously talking about feeling like he was coming good and settling in?

Sounds like what Benayoun did when he left Liverpool.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jul/11/rafa-benitez-yossi-benayoun-liverpool

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/mar/05/yossi-benayoun-liverpool-rafa-benitez

In the case of both Downing and Yossi, it comes across as players with their noses out of joint

You realise he did the total opposite last season right? Told Downing he wasn't in his plans...until he burned out young Sterling & was forced to use him.

That does happen at other clubs as well. Players go in and out of contention. Some play themselves back into the team and others find themselves in at the misfortune of others.

Hopefully Henderson can continue to work hard and get games after playing himself back into the team last season.

• Advertisement

It's happened before, it'll probably happen again.

I'm sure I'll bitch and moan when it does.

Exactly.

Let's stop pretending that we do otherwise :)

The contract is intended to protect both parties.

It's much a do about nothing in all honesty, but Alan needs to vent, so let him vent I say.

It's much a do about nothing in all honesty, but Alan needs to vent, so let him vent I say.

So you won't be answering my question then?

The thread was in a happy place, we were all dreaming of having an afro'd Brazilian strut his stuff at Anfield then BAM Alan has to come in and throw a wet blanket over it, shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Im not sure if its been discussed but apparently United are in for Willian too? :pac: Firstonetherewins!

The thread was in a happy place, we were all dreaming of having an afro'd Brazilian strut his stuff at Anfield then BAM Alan has to come in and throw a wet blanket over it, shame.

Reality > Delusion

Reality > Delusion

You want us to sign players of the ilk of Willian but it's delusional that we could possibly sign him, hmm ok, what is ot they say around here, something about Kool aid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Thread might not make it through the night!

• Advertisement

El Inho wrote: »
    Thread might not make it through the night!

I'll be heading to bed soon, don't worry!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement