Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

gosplan wrote: »
    Ultimately I reckon people would get on board if it meant success but obviously a lot would have a big problem with it.

There is a better but tougher way to do things.

This is kind if why I'm dissappointed with a lot of the aggression and jibes from Liverpool supporters towards Arsenal lately.

We did things in the tight way. We tightened our belts, went through a period of austerity, saw a positive net spend for years which was the result of all best players leaving.

Now we're out the other side all we get is 'you haven't win anything in years', 'you've no hope' etc.

What we do have is 50 million to spend on a striker. We like your striker and are going about it in the proper way - no discussion of it, just making bids and declining to say much more.

But you're annoyed with us for that?

You would rather sell to City? Chelsea? Madrid maybe once they're finished getting more debts written off while making up conversations between Bale and Levy/AVB.

Arsenal are a proper club run well and the fact that we're in for Suarez is a huge positive for the right way of going things.

So think about where we are now and where we will be for the next decade before you harp on about how you won an FA cup or CL more recently.

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

You would rather sell to City? Chelsea?

Most definitely. Liverpool need to concentrate on closing the gap with arsenal before looking at those 2.

It makes perfect footballing sense to not sell to arsenal, even if they're super great at running a club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Anyone wrote: »
    We don't want to sell our best players to any team, even more so to English teams, as it strengthens them while weakening us.

As for proper run club.....well if you mean profitable? Well then yes, you are a properly run business.

Granted but less of the abuse (not you).

By properly run I mean sustainable, focused on developing players and respectful.

And we've caught up with the rest in terms of finances by acting in this manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'd expect them to try, but where's the incentive for Rooney? He has more money, and a better chance of winning things where he is. Chelsea or Man city might force a question to be answered, but not quite Arsenal.

i think rooney is desperate to quit utd, if not chelsea can see him at the gunners, he has won plenty,just wants to be a striker again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

PRAF wrote: »
    I thought FFP will put an end to the football sugar daddies.

FFP is a joke. There's any number of ways around it.

How much have City spent this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

By properly run I mean sustainable, focused on developing players and respectful.

And we've caught up with the rest in terms of finances by acting in this manner.

But you havent, you haven't signed any player of any high value in years. Your biggest purchase is £13m for Wiltord. On the other side, you are consistently selling players for 20m+ every year.

Arsenal also have the highest tickets prices in the premier league. So yes, your finances are good, but they are not being spent on high priced players. Making bids on players means feck all if you cant sign them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Ultimately I reckon people would get on board if it meant success but obviously a lot would have a big problem with it.

This is kind if why I'm dissappointed with a lot of the aggression and jibes from Liverpool supporters towards Arsenal lately.

We did things in the tight way. We tightened our belts, went through a period of austerity, saw a positive net spend for years which was the result of all best players leaving.

Now we're out the other side all we get is 'you haven't win anything in years', 'you've no hope' etc.

What we do have is 50 million to spend on a striker. We like your striker and are going about it in the proper way - no discussion of it, just making bids and declining to say much more.

You would rather sell to City? Chelsea? Madrid maybe once they're finished getting more debts written off while making up conversations between Bale and Levy/AVB.

Arsenal are a proper club run well and the fact that we're in for Suarez is a huge positive for the right way of going things.

So think about where we are now and where we will be for the next decade before you harp on about how you won an FA cup or CL more recently.

Bit of a chip on the shoulder there.

Arsenal did very well financially over the past few years, and have a shiny new stadium to show for it. However, it did come at the expense of on the field success. The club ultimately became a feeder club to the likes of City, United, Barce etc. Selling RVP to United last season was lunacy and showed how the ambitions of the club had fallen so far.

I'm sure it's encouraging for Arsenal fans to be linked with big money moves for the the likes of Higuain, Rooney and Suarez. But for the moment, that's all they are, links. Ye are still no closer to signing a top striker than ye were when the tirade started a couple of weeks back. Ultimately, Arsenal's financial muscle will be judged by how much they invest in the squad, and right now with 3 weeks until the new season, the investment appears quite miserly.

I also don't think Liverpool will shoot themselves in the foot by selling to a direct rival like Arsenal did with RVP.

I think Arsenal are two or three players off staking a genuine title challenge, but with 3 weeks until the new season it's time to start splashing the cash.

Anyone wrote: »
    But you havent, you haven't signed any player of any high value in years. Your biggest purchase is £13m for Wiltord. On the other side, you are consistently selling players for 20m+ every year.

Arsenal also have the highest tickets prices in the premier league. So yes, your finances are good, but they are not being spent on high priced players. Making bids on players means feck all if you cant sign them.

Ok sorry. So I'm only right as long as we don't sell Cazorla or Wilshire and sign Suarez.

Until then I'm dead wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmm even the people you'd expect to jump on the Liverpool for sale story haven't. That it originated with the Daily Heil tells its own story.
    Sorry...

The page you have requested does not exist or is no longer available.

If you have typed the URL in by hand, please make sure you have entered it correctly, with no capital letters of spaces.

Alternatively, if you have clicked on a link on Mail Online and found this page, please report the problem to our technical team and we will correct it as soon as possible.

Looking for a particular section and not sure how to find it? Our site map provides a overview of our entire site.

djPSB wrote: »
    Bit of a chip on the shoulder there.

Arsenal did very well financially over the past few years, and have a shiny new stadium to show for it. However, it did come at the expense of on the field success. The club ultimately became a feeder club to the likes of City, United, Barce etc. Selling RVP to United last season was lunacy and showed how the ambitions of the club had fallen so far.

I'm sure it's encouraging for Arsenal fans to be linked with big money moves for the the likes of Higuain, Rooney and Suarez. But for the moment, that's all they are, links. Ye are still no closer to signing a top striker than ye were when the tirade started a couple of weeks back. Ultimately, Arsenal's financial muscle will be judged by how much they invest in the squad, and right now with 3 weeks until the new season, the investment appears quite miserly.

I also don't think Liverpool will shoot themselves in the foot by selling to a direct rival like Arsenal did with RVP.

I think Arsenal are two or three players off staking a genuine title challenge, but with 3 weeks until the new season it's time to start splashing the cash.

Last note on this..

The ambition was to get to the point where we could compete financially for the top players. Years ago Dein tried bringing in billionaires as he saw the writing on the wall. Arsenal just went a different, sustainable but ultimately tougher way.

The RVP situation was slightly different in that he was going for pretty much free 6 months later.

But we didn't kid ourselves either. Arsenal were about as much a direct rival to United then as Liverpool are to Arsenal now.

Sure we might take points off them but beat them over the course of a season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Ok sorry. So I'm only right as long as we don't sell Cazorla or Wilshire and sign Suarez.

Until then I'm dead wrong.

I'm just disagreeing with your view that Arsenal are competing financially with other clubs. If you mean Arsenal are a profitable club, then yes, yes you are. If you mean that you are matching other clubs spending, then I disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Have to say, I saw a whole lot of "They're deluded" from the Arsenal side, so swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Some more Twits.
    Rise Of The Kop (@RiseOfTheKop)
    7/27/13, 1:01 AM
    David Maddock says that Tottenham want £100m for Bale, but if Real Madrid can get him for £60m, they would also move for Suarez.

7/27/13, 12:53 AM
    Suarez is reluctant to put a request in writing, but is also eager to hear from Real Madrid. (Mirror)

7/27/13, 12:46 AM
    In meetings with Brendan Rodgers and Ian Ayre, Luis Suarez was warned the club is determined to take control of the agenda. Suarez was informed that he must submit a written transfer request before the *possibility of a move would even be *considered. (Mirror)

7/27/13, 12:44 AM
    Liverpool playing hardball with Luis Suarez as Reds insist they will have final say - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/luis-suarez-transfer-liverpool-playing-2093817

John Cross...
    John Cross (@johncrossmirror)
    7/27/13, 2:09 AM
    Will Suarez happen? My view is it all comes down to that clause and if the player acts up. Players have acted up with Arsenal and been sold.

John Cross (@johncrossmirror)
    7/27/13, 2:10 AM
    And maybe Liverpool will see how much stick Arsenal got over RvP (a similarly impossible position) and decide it's not worth it. Fair play.

Arseblog with the Doom and Gloom.
    Arseblog News admits to touching cloth having read what Wenger said in the Mirror. Our turtle’s tail is out. The Arsenal manager has said he’s ready to do business, but after letting so many go this summer, it’s impossible to find any rationale for him to think the group of players he’s got is good enough for a title challenge at this stage.

“We are ready to do quick deals but all the transfers do not depend only on us,” he said. “But we are prepared to wait. It looks unlikely before the Emirates Cup.
    “We still have a strong squad but we are there on the market to try to strengthen our team. With or without additions we can be title challengers next season.”

Having read that and gotten a little bit sick in our mouths, we’re now focusing on the positives and the fact that Arsenal have bid £40m for Luis Suarez suggests there’s a willingness to do business.

“What we want is not as name but as good player,” he continued. “The name is less important. What is more important is the quality of the player. At the moment I must tell you we are not close to signing anybody.

“We try to do the job and we will try to do it well. But that is in front of us. We have worked a lot but nothing has been concluded with anybody.

“Of course we want to do as many top players as we can. But we also have to focus on the players we have and develop them. We have plenty of candidates in midfield now and there is a big fight there. Bacary Sagna settles in well at centre-back with Thomas Vermaelen out.”

All in all, mixed messages. Bid £40m for a player : say you can win title without signings. Look for new players : shift a right back to centre-half.
    If doesn’t really speak to a cohesive plan and with no signings likely before next weekend, it leaves little time to get the squad ready for the start of the Premier League campaign.

What’s going on, Arsenal?

Everton and Spelling.
    @wiltch82LFC 23 Jul
    Whoever does the shirt printing at @Everton, they need either spelling lessons or sacking

BP30mi1CUAAYVF3.jpg:large

Some more on Bernard.
    Sánto ‏@Zizouology 4h
    Atletico-MG director Eduardo Maluf confirms that Bernard hasn't received any official proposal to date. Get your hopes up, Liverpool fans!

Sánto ‏@Zizouology 3h
    Atlético-MG director Eduardo Maluf: "If there's a proposal for Bernard, president will announce it. There has been speculation for 3 months"

Sánto ‏@Zizouology 3h
    BREAKING: Atlético-MG director Eduardo Maluf: "A French paper said that Bernard will sign for Arsenal today. But he's training here now."

Sánto ‏@Zizouology 7h
    SportsDirect News ain't reliable but they were the first to report LFC's interest which was later confirmed by ESPN Brasil's journo #Bernard

Sánto ‏@Zizouology 8h
    'SportsDirect News' who were the first to report Liverpool's interest in Bernard, says that Liverpool are now the front-runners to sign him.

Cissokho Stall?
    MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 1h
    #LFC have asked for 7-10 days to stall on signing Cissokho, so they can work on bigger transfers. (Sky Tyne & Wear)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I'd take a mid table finish under the current model over being champions under a sugar daddy owner with the sort of ethical question marks that surround the likes of abramovich and mansour

Football I know is a business, and any sense of the club representing a set of values or a culture has long since been diluted. I think however that to get into bed with the likes of the above is just a step too far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I take it that John Cross bloke is an Arsenal fan?

The Sun originally started that story about the owners selling by the looks of it. Seems legit

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'd take a mid table finish under the current model over being champions under a sugar daddy owner with the sort of ethical question marks that surround the likes of abramovich and mansour

Seeing as how football is wrecked anyway, I'd join 'em.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I take it that John Cross bloke is an Arsenal fan?

Yup.

He Twitted before that Suarez was keen to join Arsenal. So he's basically backtracking now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Have we a game on TV today lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

David Maddock says that Tottenham want £100m for Bale
    :eek:

Have we a game on TV today lads?

Playing Thailand 11 tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

PRAF wrote: »
    I thought FFP will put an end to the football sugar daddies.

:rolleyes:

What will it take for people to understand FFP is meaningless?

I don't think we're playing til tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Grayditch wrote: »
    Seeing as how football is wrecked anyway, I'd join 'em.

I'd agree if it were a jack walker/dave whelan (shudder) type figure as oppose to an abramovich sort

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

It's like staying up night doing your maths homework, while your mates slacked off, and then the teacher doesn't even ask anyone for it.

But, you know. Much worse.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-centre-back-dont-need-one-5373203

Brendan Rodgers says the impact of Kolo Toure at Anfield has made him reconsider plans to buy another established centre-back.

The Reds boss, who is seeking a left-back and another attacking player before the window shuts, was thwarted in his attempts to sign top defensive target Kyriakos Papadopoulos.

Schalke’s £18million asking price, coupled with concerns about the Greek defender’s fitness following a knee injury, meant Liverpool abandoned their pursuit.

Toure, a free transfer from Manchester City, was initially viewed as a squad player but having impressed in pre-season he now looks set to command a starting role.

“Defensively, I think we’ll be fine,” Rodgers said.

“Kolo has been terrific since he came in here. He may be 32 years of age but he’s super fit and in great condition.

“He’s a player who has looked after himself all his life. His age is no barrier and he’s someone with a winning mentality.

“He’s someone we felt could come in and support the group with his experience and his qualities.

“I’ve looked at him over the course of his career and watched him a lot last year. Having seen him first hand since he joined the club, he will be very good for us this season.

“We have a number of other outstanding centre-halves in Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel. We also have an up-and-coming top talent in Andre Wisdom who will be a very good centre-half for Liverpool in the future. And we still have Sebastian Coates too.”

Points to take from this:
    • We won't be signing another centre back
    • Toure will most likely start alongside Agger
    • Rodgers rates Wisdom above Coates
    • Kelly not considered as a centre back

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's not. It's having an effect in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's not. It's having an effect in the PL.

On who? City and Chelsea seem deeply unconcerned.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The Sun originally started that story about the owners selling by the looks of it. Seems legit

Wouldn't say no to be honest! ;)

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/liverpool-fc-owners-deny-saudi-aramco-sale-talk-511211.html?
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-centre-back-dont-need-one-5373203

Brendan Rodgers says the impact of Kolo Toure at Anfield has made him reconsider plans to buy another established centre-back.

The Reds boss, who is seeking a left-back and another attacking player before the window shuts, was thwarted in his attempts to sign top defensive target Kyriakos Papadopoulos.

Schalke’s £18million asking price, coupled with concerns about the Greek defender’s fitness following a knee injury, meant Liverpool abandoned their pursuit.

Toure, a free transfer from Manchester City, was initially viewed as a squad player but having impressed in pre-season he now looks set to command a starting role.

“Kolo has been terrific since he came in here. He may be 32 years of age but he’s super fit and in great condition.

“He’s a player who has looked after himself all his life. His age is no barrier and he’s someone with a winning mentality.

“He’s someone we felt could come in and support the group with his experience and his qualities.

“I’ve looked at him over the course of his career and watched him a lot last year. Having seen him first hand since he joined the club, he will be very good for us this season.

“We have a number of other outstanding centre-halves in Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel. We also have an up-and-coming top talent in Andre Wisdom who will be a very good centre-half for Liverpool in the future. And we still have Sebastian Coates too.”

So Papa talk all rubbish? I suspect not in this case. Any decent offer for Skrtel and he'll be sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wisdom and toure are rcb, coates and agger are lcb. If coates stays he needs to be pushing on aggers spot. I dont like the sound of that story though tbh. Oh and skrtle! Forgot about him

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

On who? City and Chelsea seem deeply unconcerned.
    They've been streamlining their wage bills too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

I know some people may be a littled dismayed by this decision but I'm not too unhappy. I really think Wisdom has something about him and I'm glad they have decided to keep him in the squad this season.

I have felt all along that Toure would be a very astute acquisition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm sure Skrtel being sold will change all that. Another 180 degree turn coming up from the manager hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

FFP is a joke. There's any number of ways around it.

How much have City spent this summer?

It is not in place yet, think most people are unaware of the fact that the full rules of it do not come into play until 2015 rather than at the start of the 2013/14 season as the full roll out was pushed back.

It may well turn out to be a joke, and after reading the most recent list of loopholes published by UEFA, I tend to agree (although Liverpool has in fact already tried to take advantage of one of the approved loopholes when it changed it's financial year).

But I don't think that the fact FFP was due to kick in should be any sort of excuse for Liverpool either. We are not an oil rich club, but we are not scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of spending power either. We cannot go after the same players as the likes of City, Barca, Real, Chelsea, PSG, Monaco etc., but we do have the spending power to go after the best of the next tier of players and that tier of players (if we were smart in who we went after) contains plenty of players who are more than good enough to seriously improve our first team and who are good enough to become top tier players whilst they are with us.

Kess73 wrote: »
    It is not in place yet, think most people are unaware of the fact that the full rules of it do not come into play until 2015 rather than at the start of the 2013/14 season as the full roll out was pushed back.

It may well turn out to be a joke, and after reading the most recent list of loopholes published by UEFA, I tend to agree (although Liverpool has in fact already tried to take advantage of one of the approved loopholes when it changed it's financial year).

But I don't think that the fact FFP was due to kick in should be any sort of excuse for Liverpool either. We are not an oil rich club, but we are not scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of spending power either. We cannot go after the same players as the likes of City, Barca, Real, Chelsea, PSG, Monaco etc., but we do have the spending power to go after the best of the next tier of players and that tier of players (if we were smart in who we went after) contains plenty of players who are more than good enough to seriously improve our first team and who are good enough to become top tier players whilst they are with us.

Your thoughts on Wisdom as Starting RCB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Very worrying IMO

NukaCola wrote: »
    Very worrying IMO

It could be just that Brendan is doing a Fr. Jessup, and we ARE going to sign another centre back.

tve5756-00000306-897.gif

It could be just that Brendan is doing a Fr. Jessup, and we ARE going to sign another centre back.

tve5756-00000306-897.gif

If Napoli do make a bid for Skrtel I imagine all that will change.

The problem I have is that although Skrtel has been very average in the last year, would bringing in someone like Alderwierald be a definite improvement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Meanwhile in Bangkok...

• Advertisement

Your thoughts on Wisdom as Starting RCB?

Don't think he is ready.

But of our younger defenders he is the one I think would have the best chance of suceeding if he became the third choice CB this season.

Have seen a hell of a lot of him over the last couple of years either at ressie/underage games I went to or at first team games last season (actually am pretty sure I was at every domestic game that he played in last season), and he was the young player ( outside of Coutinho) that impressed me the most.

Said it a few times in the threads last season, but even with the small number of first team games he got, you could see his game evolving game on game. If he got caught with something position wise in one game, by the very next game he had changed his resting points. If he got skinned in one game by a player cutting inside, by the next game he would be seen doing more to "show" the attacker the direction he wanted him to go.

He also seem to grow in terms of aggression as the games went on, and it was a beautiful thing to watch as it was a very controlled aggression. Yet again this is something I said a bit last season, but possibly my favourite moment of the last season came against Stoke. Allen was fighting a right war of attrition in the centre againt two or three Stoke players, He would get the better of one and then a second would come in with a sh1thouse tactic. He was getting no back up in the centre from his own teammates, but then it happened on our right flank. Allen went in with a Stoke player, and the Charlie Adam went to come flying in on Allen. Adam had a big red face on him and was spitting aggression as he made a beeline for Allen as Allen's back was turned. The Adam slammed on the brakes and suddenly started running in the other direction and there chasing after him was a very determined to level the odds Wisdom. He most have followed Adam for 50 yards and was shouting out at Adam for Adam to try having at go at him. Not once did Adam shout back at him, and I thought it was a brilliant show of confidence from such a young player as Wisdom as well as it being a real "you mess with one of us, then you mess with me" show of intent.

So with Wisdom I don't think he is quite ready for the third CB slot, but if any of our younger defenders have a chance of taking that slot this season, then it would have to be him in my eyes. Physically and mentally he has a lot going for him, with his willingness and ability to learn/adapt being his most important quality atthis point in his fledgling career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I have to say i agrre with most of whats posted above.

FFP is probably going to end up being a joke but Arsenal have done superbly in the last number of years without becoming a billionaires plaything.

Still dont want to sell Suarez to them, though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Pedalstool wrote: »

The problem I have is that although Skrtel has been very average in the last year, would bringing in someone like Alderwierald be a definite improvement?

They are almost on a par, Alderwierald is better in the air IMO.......but we stood by while Norwich looked to sign him so I'm guessing he's not a target.

I'd be all for keeping Skrtel if he can regain some form, i think he is a fine 3rd choice CB. We need a quality CB to compliment Agger.......IMO Papadopoulos would be perfect partnership, but thats not going to happen either.

Toby would definitely be an Improvement over Skrtel. Since he can Play the High Line, in which the Latter struggles.

Though I'm not sure if he's the Answer to our Problems, which are Setpieces and Counterattacks. I have not seen him enough to give a honest reply.

They are almost on a par, Alderwierald is better in the air IMO.......but we stood by while Norwich looked to sign him so I'm guessing he's not a target.

I'd be all for keeping Skrtel if he can regain some form, i think he is a fine 3rd choice CB. We need a quality CB to compliment Agger.......IMO Papadopoulos would be perfect partnership, but thats not going to happen either.

I'd bide my time with Papadopoulos. It would be reassuring to see him back playing fit and well before pushing the boat out to sign him.

I know most won't agree but I think Toure could be very good this year for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I'd bide my time with Papadopoulos. It would be reassuring to see him back playing fit and well before pushing the boat out to sign him.

I know most won't agree but I think Toure could be very good this year for us.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Papadopoulos arrive in January

I think Alderweireld would be a step up. He is younger than Skrtel ( Born in 1989 to Skrtel's 1984), but already looks to be able to match an inform Skrtel in many departments and better him in others.

I think he beats Skrtel in terms of strength (or maybe it's how he uses what he has), passing, aggression, in the air, and adapability. I think he is far less prone to making rash decisions in terms of positioning, and he seems to have more self confidence in his own abilities.

He would not be an enforcer style centre back, in fact he would be similar to a right sided version of Agger in many ways, albeit that bit more physical than Agger, but I could see his style meshing well with Agger.

He does like stepping out of the defence, again another similarity with Agger in how he does it, but as he showed when Verthongen played alongside him, he is very good at making sure he drops deep when his CB partner advances.

Plays a very sweet long range through ball on a regular basis as well. The type of on the deck ball that many midfielders would love to be able to do. He tends to do it from the half way line and it can catch a lot of defences out because it comes in low and fast, and is very good at releasing/finding a forward.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think Alderweireld would be a step up. He is younger than Skrtel ( Born in 1989 to Skrtel's 1984), but already looks to be able to match an inform Skrtel in many departments and better him in others.

I think he beats Skrtel in terms of strength (or maybe it's how he uses what he has), passing, aggression, in the air, and adapability. I think he is far less prone to making rash decisions in terms of positioning, and he seems to have more self confidence in his own abilities.

He would not be an enforcer style centre back, in fact he would be similar to a right sided version of Agger in many ways, albeit that bit more physical than Agger, but I could see his style meshing well with Agger.

He does like stepping out of the defence, again another similarity with Agger in how he does it, but as he showed when Verthongen played alongside him, he is very good at making sure he drops deep when his CB partner advances.

Plays a very sweet long range through ball on a regular basis as well. The type of on the deck ball that many midfielders would love to be able to do. He tends to do it from the half way line and it can catch a lot of defences out because it comes in low and fast, and is very good at releasing/finding a forward.

The question is why the reluctance to go for him? Or Eriksen for that matter?

Do they believe they are targeting better players or perhaps they believe they will get one or both at better value as the window draws to a close?

amiable wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Papadopoulos arrive in January

Good fit for you lot.

The team's been a bit too much on the handsome side since Kyut and Shelvey left.

• Advertisement

So we sell Skrtel to bring in Papa? Makes no sense, since Papa would be another Lucas.

If his Rehabilitation stays on course, it will still be the 2nd Half of the Season before we even see him Play. And most probably just at 50% Capacity.

It would be the Season after that, before we can see the Real him. And that's assuming he didn't Lose anything to the Injury (Mobility, Agility, Jumping, Pace, etc).

In the end, we're probably better off Playing with a healthy Kolo and Wisdom, than a still recovering Papa.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement