Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

NukaCola wrote: »
    I disagree. It may be a personal thing but lets say the rumour of a Ooredoo takeover is true, the Qatar government will basically own LFC. I would be completely against it personally. I wont get into because it is way OT but it should be obvious why.

Yes, fair enough to your post and others like Mike and Kess who responded to my post.

Did not know that Qatar government was owners of Ooredoo as they are listed on Doha stock exchange as a public company since 1998. However the state retains a 55% stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Its all about sustainability for me. I'd like to see the club put on a firm footing.

I'd also like to see the club continue to invest in the youth academy. I think we are beginning to see the fruits of that investment now.
    Its also important for the youth academy and attracting the best players into it that a clear and obvious path to the first team exists.

A lot of that will be lost if we go down the road of a PSG, Monaco, City or Chelsea. How sustainable is the model they are following in the long term?

I wonder did John Henry's tweet the other day spark these rumours or is there something in them.

On the phone so can't link his tweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pedalstool wrote: »
    Its all about sustainability for me. I'd like to see the club put on a firm footing.

I'd also like to see the club continue to invest in the youth academy. I think we are beginning to see the fruits of that investment now.
    Its also important for the youth academy and attracting the best players into it that a clear and obvious path to the first team exists.

A lot of that will be lost if we go down the road of a PSG, Monaco, City or Chelsea. How sustainable is the model they are following in the long term?

I cant agree more, id rather see Liverpool on firm footing rather than a flash in the pan and then we spend a lifetime in debt.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I wonder did John Henry's tweet the other day spark these rumours or is there something in them.

On the phone so can't link his tweet.

Yeah I think you are right. I assume you're talking about his reference to English football being like the Wild West?

Some genius at The S*n decided that was all the evidence he needed to suggest FSG are trying to sell the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I really hope The Mirror story of an increased bid from Arsenal for Suarez is true.

It can only mean that Arsenal won't be taking the messy path that Guardiola seemingly and is rumoured to have wanted with the extra £1 bid to activate some stupid clause, and force our hand hence the potential for a messy legal battle.

If they are still bidding then surely there is no clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

935093_585739491476216_401346520_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I echo the sentiments above. There is little soul left in this sport but I always love to see a youth player make it the first team. We would loose that under a suger daddy model.

Saying all that investment is important, like it or not its a business these days and you have to keep the supports appetite for competition happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Are we playing Thailand today? If so what time is it on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hoki wrote: »
    Are we playing Thailand today? If so what time is it on?

11.45 uk time is kick off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

11:45 ESPN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

On ESPN this morning at 11.45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

rob316 wrote: »
    I echo the sentiments above. There is little soul left in this sport but I always love to see a youth player make it the first team. We would loose that under a suger daddy model.

Saying all that investment is important, like it or not its a business these days and you have to keep the supports appetite for competition happy.

Agreed too, however I'd gladly take £100m for the naming rights to a new stand and a few advertising hoardings or whatever they are called these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

@LFC: Confirmed #LFC team v Thailand: Mignolet, Enrique, Agger, Toure, Johnson, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Coutinho, Aspas, Borini.

Do something today borini please i want you to do well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

klose wrote: »
    @LFC: Confirmed #LFC team v Thailand: Mignolet, Enrique, Agger, Toure, Johnson, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Coutinho, Aspas, Borini.

Do something today borini please i want you to do well :)

Most likely team on the opening day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Do something today borini please :)

Interesting lineup, Suarez tweaked something during training so hes out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vicxas wrote: »

He tweaked something a few months ago!

Now to find a decent stream...

Turtyturd wrote: »

If we don't sign anyone...then maybe.

Lets pray we sign someone!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Were ****ed if that's our forward line on day 1!

The rest of the team looks pretty good.

Again we'll see Lucas as the holding player with Gerrard and Allen ahead of him.

I hope Borini manages to find some form. We could really do with him finding his feet at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Dont worry. Sturridge could be back. 50/50 if i remember right. Almost certain to be back for the second.

And there is still loads of time before the season starts to get players in, just not enough time to bed them in fully:)

F*cked might be overstating it. We will be weaker no matter what once Suarez goes but I think the two players plus two replacements for him that a lot of posters are expecting is pie in the sky stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Again we'll see Lucas as the holding player with Gerrard and Allen ahead of him.

I hope Borini manages to find some form. We could really do with him finding his feet at Liverpool.

Id settle for him finding the net!

Gerrard at cam?

Super Sturridge has a lot of expectations on him this season....if he is our main man, both literally and in his head I expect a lot of frustrated posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Midfield is pretty average tbh. It's a very nice timid midfield trio. We need someone in there that'll break a man up.

The front three is also fairly meh. Coutinho is class, Aspas is pretty much unproven, and Borini will need to up it big time. Obviously the return of Sturridge and Suarez would help.

Would like to see us sign another attacking player and a powerful midfield player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Gerrard at cam?

Hope not. Doesn't have the legs for it anymore. Was very good in the deeper position last season.

Allen will be the furthest forward of the 3 I would imagine. Not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

No I'd say its more to do with he's a few weeks behind the others in fitness so will prob just make a cameo.

Gerrard at cam?

As far as I'm aware Rodgers has two systems for his 3 man midfield.

As he calls it a 1 and a 2, or a two and a 1.

I think this is a 1 and a 2 with Lucas the one and Gerrard and allen the two.

http://www.eplindex.com/14987/brendan-rodgers-tactical-approach-liverpool-adapt-tikitaka.html

Subs: Jones, Skrtel, Kelly, Flanagan, Suarez, Spearing, Wisdom, Robinson, Henderson, Alberto, Downing, Sterling, Ibe, Coates, Assaidi, Ward.

Mignolet,
    Johnson Agger, Toure, Enrique
    Lucas,
    Allen, Gerrard,
    -Aspas----Borini---Coutinho

is how I'd start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

He's three weeks behind everyone training wise.

djPSB wrote: »
    Midfield is pretty average tbh. It's a very nice timid midfield trio. We need someone in there that'll break a man up.

The front three is also fairly meh. Coutinho is class, Aspas is pretty much unproven, and Borini will need to up it big time. Obviously the return of Sturridge and Suarez would help.

Would like to see us sign another attacking player and a powerful midfield player.

I think thats a little harsh to be honest. If Lucas can get back to his best there are not many players better in this role.

I agree it would be great to have someone with more athleticism in there beside Allen or Gerrard but the days of a midfield enforcer seem gone. You just can't afford to make rash tackles anymore. Pressing is the key now and Allen is excellent at that. A long term successor for Gerrard, or rather that role in midfield will probably be key in the next year or so.

mike65 wrote: »

Subs: Jones, Skrtel, Kelly, Flanagan, Suarez, Spearing, Wisdom, Robinson, Henderson, Alberto, Downing, Sterling, Ibe, Coates, Assaidi, Ward.

Mignolet,
    Johnson Agger, Toure, Enrique
    Lucas,
    Allen, Gerrard,
    -Aspas----Borini---Coutinho

is how I'd start.

Not mad on the team tbh.

Would like to see Aspas upfront, Ibe on for Borini, and Henderson or Alberto in midfield for Allen.

Lucas , Gerrard and Allen in the same midfield worries me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

F*cked might be overstating it. We will be weaker no matter what once Suarez goes but I think the two players plus two replacements for him that a lot of posters are expecting is pie in the sky stuff.

It's absolutely pie in the sky stuff. 2 first teamers plus whatever replacement for him is what people were saying was required in order to have any chance at having had a successful window.

I bet people's expectations are somewhat different now.

FSG & BRod-masters of reducing expectations.

Rodgers has said there will be fewer subs this game, hopefully just the three so the match should have more cohesion.

ipad-art-wide-Flood-20stadium-20ld-420x0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Although both are on the bench, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Ibe and the rejuvenated Sterling today. I think those two might just end up having very good seasons for us - Sterling as a potential starter and Ibe as an impact sub.

I also wonder whether the form of Toure and Wisdom has convinced Rodgers that we don't need an expensive signing at CB. Personally, I'd still like to see one, particularly someone who is strong, aggressive, and good in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

make no mistake about it.

there MUST be signings before the start of the season. going in, as is, would be unacceptable.

gafferino wrote: »
    No I'd say its more to do with he's a few weeks behind the others in fitness so will prob just make a cameo.

Didn't Suarez continue playing for much of the 'off season' with Uruguay. If so, I'm not sure he's that much behind on the fitness stakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

PRAF wrote: »
    Although both are on the bench, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Ibe and the rejuvenated Sterling today. I think those two might just end up having very good seasons for us - Sterling as a potential starter and Ibe as an impact sub.

I also wonder whether the form of Toure and Wisdom has convinced Rodgers that we don't need an expensive signing at CB. Personally, I'd still like to see one, particularly someone who is strong, aggressive, and good in the air.

Replace Skrtel with someone else and I'd be happy enough.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »

there MUST be signings before the start of the season. going in, as is, would be unacceptable.

Id wager there will be atleast two more, people seem to be forgetting the club is on tour no signings were ever gonna take place over these two weeks.

BMJD wrote: »
    Agreed too, however I'd gladly take £100m for the naming rights to a new stand and a few advertising hoardings or whatever they are called these days.

100m for the naming right to the entire stadium would be more realistic. I'd have no problem with that so long as the money was reinvested into the team or the stadium. Would also need to be a good and reputable company

SlickRic wrote: »

What?! really?! I'm amazed anyone could reach such a conclusion. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

mike65 wrote: »
    Rodgers has said there will be fewer subs this game, hopefully just the three so the match should have more cohesion.

A friendly match in those conditions, it won't be three :D

Johnson cross gives goalie something to do in first 30 seconds. (its started guys)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It's absolutely pie in the sky stuff. 2 first teamers plus whatever replacement for him is what people were saying was required in order to have any chance at having had a successful window.

I bet people's expectations are somewhat different now.

FSG & BRod-masters of reducing expectations.

Please tell me where they increased our expectations and then decreased them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

started early ? strange

What the hell, Aspas needs to lower those socks. Socks below the knee please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Hoki wrote: »
    started early ? strange

Yeah just gonna say that. I thought I was watching highlights for a second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Aspas looks like some tit with his socks pulled up over his knees!

Excellent work by Coutinho and Borini but the keeper alert to the danger.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement