Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Double his Wages?

Would anyone be happy if we met him half way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Principle is the only thing stopping me saying "just double his ****ing wages" so yes, I would meet him half way - no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Sends out the wrong message to the rest of the players if we did, f**k him - he got a nice bump last season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

As long as he doesn't give anymore Interviews without Permission from the Club.

And Deduction on Wages if he incurs a Ban.

Yeah, sure.

Hoki wrote: »
    Sends out the wrong message to the rest of the players if we did, f**k him - he got a nice bump last season .

Problem is none of our other players are near he's quality!

Maybe Luis is starting to realise that Madrid may not be coming for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think it would be justified for him to get 150k a week or so. Not like we can't afford it tbh.

I'll also add, that he needs to Fire his Agent to my List.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah yes reward a player who wanted to leave and fecked the club about no end, just like Rooney and Manchester Utd only more so. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

He really is a greedy bastard.

I'll also add, that he needs to Fire his Agent to my List.

Its he's agents job to get as much as he can for him. He's probably getting 10-20 percent commission from it.

Although I do agree they are leeches!

Problem is none of our other players are near he's quality!

Maybe Luis is starting to realise that Madrid may not be coming for him!

I dont think he should be on more money than our club captain either way, if he gets his way this time and gets a big pay rise what's stopping him doing the exact same thing in January & looking for more money or angling for a move again , the guy is a cretin tbh - a super talented player who i'd hate to lose but a cretin nonetheless.

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah yes reward a player who wanted to leave and fecked the club about no end, just like Rooney and Manchester Utd only more so. :)

If he gets 30 league goals for us next season well get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Sends out a bad signal if we double his wages.

Is he looking for a way to come out of this smelling of roses? Doesn't fancy Arsenal as much as Real but still claims to have "won" by staying with the wage bump ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

hefferboi wrote: »
    He really is a greedy bastard.

I wouldnt pay attention to any of this BS. Suarez is a media circus and difficult to separate fact from fiction.

If we can keep him it will be a massive massive boost and I think we can challenge 4th with the 1-2 additions of starting quality (2 would be great and whats needed but if we keep Suarez 1 might do).
    If we lose him then I think we fill finish no higher than 6th.

• Advertisement

Thought Aspas did really well today and took his goal really well. One thing thats great about the imports is their comfort on the ball. Its something thats a given especially with the Spanish lads. You've to beat it into the home grown players!

gafferino wrote: »
    Thought Aspas did really well today and took his goal really well. One thing thats great about the imports is their comfort on the ball. Its something thats a given especially with the Spanish lads. You've to beat it into the home grown players!

3 goals & 2 assists in 4 games , not a bad start even if it's against crap opposition.

3 goals & 2 assists in 4 games , not a bad start even if it's against crap opposition.

Yeah agreed. Doesnt matter about the opposition its good for his confidence and shows his team mates he can score. Was very deep at times today like the way Suarez does. Think he looks decent so far, really hope he can hit the ground running in the league.

Alberto looks like he has a fair bit to learn. Looked a bit frightened today I thought but in fairness he wasnt on for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I dont think he should be on more money than our club captain either way, if he gets his way this time and gets a big pay rise what's stopping him doing the exact same thing in January & looking for more money or angling for a move again , the guy is a cretin tbh - a super talented player who i'd hate to lose but a cretin nonetheless.

i think it is completely irrelevant what our captains wages are. A world class striker who can get 30 goals a season should be on the biggest wages at the club.as they are the hardest type of player to come back.

I think he is on $80,0000...give him €130,000 and we can stop the non sense and keep our best player. I think he is totally right . if he is a 50 million pound player then he should be on 50 million poundplayer wages.
    I had have no problem with this rationale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

gafferino wrote: »
    I wouldnt pay attention to any of this BS. Suarez is a media circus and difficult to separate fact from fiction.

If we can keep him it will be a massive massive boost and I think we can challenge 4th with the 1-2 additions of starting quality (2 would be great and whats needed but if we keep Suarez 1 might do).
    If we lose him then I think we fill finish no higher than 6th.
    Well from what I've seen so far I wouldn't doubt a lot of what's being said. It's been said before that if he worked with us he could have got his dream move and it would have been a happy solution for club and player, but he went about it the wrong way and showed no respect for a club that stood by him during the Evra incident.

Obviously I'd like to see him stay and it would massively increase our chances of 4th but I can't stand him. He's nearly down near Diouf in my eyes. Not quiet on his level but near enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Bowlardo wrote: »
    i think it is completely irrelevant what our captains wages are. A world class striker who can get 30 goals a season should be on the biggest wages at the club.as they are the hardest type of player to come back.

I think he is on $80,0000...give him €130,000 and we can stop the non sense and keep our best player. I think he is totally right . if he is a 50 million pound player then he should be on 50 million poundplayer wages.

He's on £120,000 a week. Thats about $185,000 a week at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

Not sure why Liverpool feel need to offer him a new contract

A new contract which some say increase his wages and include an option of a buyout if we don't make champions league next year

Looking at the teams we will be challenging for 4th are Arsenal and Spurs, Spurs are improving their 1st team 11, Arsenal haven't added much so far, but have a history of making 4th spot

Liverpool have improved their squad, not sure we have improved our first 11 from last year, but from last September we definitely have, and we all know how bad our start was, which really ruled out us challenging for 4th

So we give Suarez a new contract and a definite clause of moving on from us if we don't make champions league

Don't see the logic if his current contract is as air tight as LFC lead us to believe and there is no clause which forces us to sell,how does a new contract with the above terms improve the current situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

No other club would offer him double his wages so no point in us doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

skydish79 wrote: »
    So we give Suarez a new contract and a definite clause of moving on from us if we don't make champions league

Lets hope the clause is clear & unambiguous this time!

Bowlardo wrote: »

You're picking me up wrong , if his last contract brought his wages up to that of Gerrard's level or even beyond it I'd have no problem as he was committed to us at that point in time. But looking for a doubling of his wages now after the way he has behaved this summer stinks tbh & because of that i dont think he deserves to get more than a guy who has dedicated his career to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Have to say I was delighted to see Allen in his favourite role, controlling the game and dictating play. Obviously, it was only Thailand, but it was great to see him looking so hungry to receive the ball and being positive when he had it. Was happy with Mignolet as well, we got to see him make a few saves and we also got to see how he distributed the ball. It all looks encouraging so far. Toure has looked our best defender in the friendlies so far, he looks really motivated in winning tackles and challenges, but it's also great to see that he is decent on the ball when bringing it out of defence. He may just be the player who can provide the team with a bit of backbone.

As for the negatives, I will probably get shouted down for my next bit, but Borini was completely ineffective again today. When you look at the team we were playing, you look at the fact that Borini got to play down the middle, you would think that he should have a field day. Yes, he had a few decent touches, he did work hard and got into good positions; but once again there was no end product whatsoever. I just know that people will say, "we need to give Borini time". To that, I would say, how much more time does he need? You look at Aspas for example, despite being shunted out to the wing, he was still far more effective than Borini and he himself has only been at the club a wet weekend. Look at Ibe, an assist on his Premier League debut and since then he's been fantastic in pre-season and scored a goal.

Right now, if we had a ladder of players who can play in the front 3, then for me Borini is at the bottom, behind Sterling, Downing, Ibe and Alberto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Give him a pay rise..and clause for non payment if he cant play because of any suspension or ban he incurrs ..other than yellow card accumilation..only fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Have to say I was delighted to see Allen in his favourite role, controlling the game and dictating play. Obviously, it was only Thailand, but it was great to see him looking so hungry to receive the ball and being positive when he had it. Was happy with Mignolet as well, we got to see him make a few saves and we also got to see how he distributed the ball. It all looks encouraging so far. Toure has looked our best defender in the friendlies so far, he looks really motivated in winning tackles and challenges, but it's also great to see that he is decent on the ball when bringing it out of defence. He may just be the player who can provide the team with a bit of backbone.

As for the negatives, I will probably get shouted down for my next bit, but Borini was completely ineffective again today. When you look at the team we were playing, you look at the fact that Borini got to play down the middle, you would think that he should have a field day. Yes, he had a few decent touches, he did work hard and got into good positions; but once again there was no end product whatsoever. I just know that people will say, "we need to give Borini time". To that, I would say, how much more time does he need? You look at Aspas for example, despite being shunted out to the wing, he was still far more effective than Borini and he himself has only been at the club a wet weekend. Look at Ibe, an assist on his Premier League debut and since then he's been fantastic in pre-season and scored a goal.

Right now, if we had a ladder of players who can play in the front 3, then for me Borini is at the bottom, behind Sterling, Downing, Ibe and Alberto.

Very impressed with Allen and Lucas. Both pressing really well and using the ball well. I think we will see a lot more from Allen this season. I think he is a very good player who just had a tough time settling in last year. Lucas is back to his sharpest.

Much to my surprise, Gerrard has improved a lot as a midfielder under Rodgers.

Indeed that is a theme under the coaching of Rodgers. Almost every player in the squad has improved since he arrived.

Unfortunately I still struggle to see what Downing and Henderson contribute to the team, despite their improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

barone wrote: »
    Give him a pay rise..and clause for non payment if he cant play because of any suspension or ban he incurrs ..other than yellow card accumilation..only fair

No agent worth their salt will let their client sign a contract like that with a non payment clause. The only "pay for play" contracts out there are for over the hill players at 35+ or for younger but injury prone players. i.e Hargreaves in the past and Richard Dunne's recent contract.

A contract like that isn't going to happen.

Dagger...
    @DanielAgger 3m
    After an amazing 2 weeks in asia i would like to thank all of the fans who have come out to support us so many miles from home...(cont)

@DanielAgger 1m
    I really can't believe the number of Agger 5 shirts and banners I have seen,and every single one of them makes me so proud
    Thankyou Asia!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Nothing wrong with a contract offering Suarez parity with Gerrard.

He should sign a 2 year extension though, aswell as removing an clauses pertaining to a sale.

Don't see why people worry about him being paid more than Gerrard to be honest, Gerrard is coming to the end whereas Suarez is approaching his peak years.

Thats football these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pedalstool wrote: »
    Very impressed with Allen and Lucas. Both pressing really well and using the ball well. I think we will see a lot more from Allen this season. I think he is a very good player who just had a tough time settling in last year. Lucas is back to his sharpest.

Much to my surprise, Gerrard has improved a lot as a midfielder under Rodgers.

Indeed that is a theme under the coaching of Rodgers. Almost every player in the squad has improved since he arrived.

Unfortunately I still struggle to see what Downing and Henderson contribute to the team, despite their improvements.

Dont think that fair on Henderson he proved to be very useful last season and has a place in this squad. He also is young and has alot of potential still. Downing on the other hand is a nothing player be happy to see him gone. Hes a winger and consistently can beat his man for ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Like it or lump it that is the going rate/wage for player of Suarezs quality.

If we want to be sitting at the top table then we are going to have to pay the priemium.

Suarez will get that wage at another club. Im confident of that.

If we want to hold onto him long term then the next strategy should be to see if he we can negotiate another wage that brings him closer to what he would get/want, and a satisfactory level for the club.

If that satisfactory wage level of the club is too low then unfortunately we won't be holding onto Suarez, or potentially players like Coutinho in the near future.

All top clubs have premium players on premium wages. Suarez is one of them.
    If we don't have a premium wage that is high enough then we won't have Suarez type players on our books ever.

Yes the big money teams and sugar daddy's have skewed the market (like FFS who is worth £86mil) but that's the market and players/agents will always try and maximise things for their clients, and themselves of course.

Suarez didn't make the market, and yes he still has 3yrs left on his current contract, but the club need to show there intent here. Its has all been wage cutting in recent times - now they need to show us how serious they want to hold onto one of the top5 players in world football today.

Arsenal have smashed their wage structures in the past few months and look to have totally changed tact cause they can now afford to pay the wages, if we can't then fine, but no point in blaming Luis for maximising his potential with someone else, it's the club that can't keep up with the 'big boys'

If its still not good enough for Luis then that's another problem altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

rob316 wrote: »
    Dont think that fair on Henderson he proved to be very useful last season and has a place in this squad. He also is young and has alot of potential still. Downing on the other hand is a nothing player be happy to see him gone. Hes a winger and consistently can beat his man for ffs.

I think we could do better than Henderson. I like his honest effort but he's not quite up to the standard required. I'd be delighted if he proved me wrong.

I wonder should we look at James McCarthy. Wasn't sure about him but he's impressed in the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Just after seeing Coutinho's goal. Great piece of skill. Surely he must start the season in that center attacking role now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Agree with you on Hendo, ordinary in the extreme, not good enough for a top 4 team. Not sure if McCarthy is quite at that standard either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

mike65 wrote: »

Wanting to leave isn't fecking the club over, it's just ambition, the exact same motivation that led him to leave Ajax for Liverpool

Players are attracted by success and money. A shortfall in one at a club can be compensated for by an abundance of the other, hence yaya to city for the money, fabregas taking a pay cut to join barca, arteta doing similar to join arsenal. So what's keeping Suarez here when he'd get paid more elsewhere and certainly have a better opportunity to win things elsewhere? Despite your assertions, a few European cups many moons ago and half of Indonesia giving a rendition of YNWA certainly aren't

The club have insinuated he's a £50m player. If they want to keep a £50m player, he needs to be paid accordingly, and if that means going close to doubling his wages, well that's the price of hanging on to the player

I'd pay it in a heartbeat

Off topic alert - Just after flicking onto Sky Sport News there & they were doing a piece on how Joe Cole hasn't given up hope of playing for his country again. He must be planning on changing sports, such rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Off topic alert - Just after flicking onto Sky Sport News there & they were doing a piece on how Joe Cole hasn't given up hope of playing for his country again. He must be planning on changing sports, such rubbish.

Slow news day in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Is there such a thing as international pie eating contests?

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'd pay it in a heartbeat

I would if I was confident that he'd be happy to stay.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

In relation to Borini and Henderson, I think its time that the only get their game on merit. If they show they are good enough to get more game time, play them more. But for now, thry are nowhere near good enough to be starting 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Michael Owen will be on it tomorrow saying the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

getting a cap again for England wouldn't be a huge achievement in fairness

its not like he'd have to be playing out of his skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Borini has been totally swamped by other players performances in preseason.

I have been defending the fella but he really needs to start showing some form.

Sad to say but if any offers come in (even just below our purchase price) we should move him on.

• Advertisement

Henderson >> Allen for me.

This is based on performances last season. I believe Allen will have a better season this time around and both will be valuable squad players for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

LiamoSail wrote: »
    A shortfall in one at a club can be compensated for by an abundance of the other, hence yaya to city for the money

To be fair, Yaya Toure has won a bunch of trophies with City. It's not like he just has the money to console him. And then obviously the champions league exposure, even if group of deaths and an inept manager have stopped them progressing. Suarez has none of that. Can't blame him for wanting to leave. The manner in which he has gone about it is scummy but that's just who he is. His reasons are valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im really hoping Allen steps up this year.

Im also slightly worried about Borini, he looks really out of his depth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Sorry I haven't read back but have these new rumours about Ooredoo been discussed at all? The link is dodgy but I just seen a few people on twitter talking about it. That's some extra cash for the club if true.

http://www.beyondthekop.com/5/post/2013/07/investment-into-lfc.html

Opr

Kirby wrote: »
    To be fair, Yaya Toure has won a bunch of trophies with City. It's not like he just has the money to console him. And then obviously the champions league exposure, even if group of deaths and an inept manager have stopped them progressing. Suarez has none of that. Can't blame him for wanting to leave. The manner in which he has gone about it is scummy but that's just who he is. His reasons are valid.

A bunch of trophies?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement