Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Damn! Kelvin from Porto is such a Nasty Pr1ck.

He kicked the Celta Vigo Player 4 times for dispossessing him.

Almost had a Bench-Clearing Brawl in a Preseason Friendly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

klose wrote: »
    Good game that, 11 scored and nonce conceded only pre season but tis nice going anyways. Think mignolet will be a smashing keeper for us

yeah Ming looks steady and capablem was a bit worried when we signed him but hes looks confident especially on crosses

How many LBs are we signing?
    Damian ‏@DamianLFCpl 2m
    Liverpool hope to sign Lorenzo Melgarejo on a season-long loan from Benfica with a view to a permanent transfer - Gary Jacob, Tony Barrett
    Or does it mean the Cissokho Deal is off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

mada999 wrote: »
    yeah Ming looks steady and capablem was a bit worried when we signed him but hes looks confident especially on crosses

'Ming' ?

Oh no please No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Could mean that Enrique is going and we are bring in his replacement plus cover.

• Advertisement

Was it ever really on?

Leiva wrote: »
    'Ming' ?

Oh no please No.

It means we've signed the Great Wall of China. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I see on Twitter that he is gonna need to have a Euro passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

We need more goals. I never thought they would be coming from the LB :) Would be surprised if we could get him on loan. Perfect type player for Rodgers.

PS. I thought he was going to Arsenal?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Almost afraid to ask but whats the story with the Suarez situation? is there any news on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Leiva wrote: »
    I see on Twitter that he is gonna need to have a Euro passport.
    Who said that?

It's gaining ground, fast!
    Liverpool make approach for Benfica left-back Lorenzo Melgarejo

• Brendan Rodgers wants loan with view to permanent deal
    • Paraguayan signing would increase competition for position
    Liverpool-manager-Brendan-008.jpg

Liverpool have contacted Benfica over the availability of the left-back Lorenzo Melgarejo on an initial season-long loan deal.

The manager, Brendan Rodgers, wants to increase the competition on José Enrique's position next season and his search has led him to the 22-year-old Paraguayan, who has been linked with Arsenal and Fenerbahce this summer.

Liverpool are trying to sign Melgarejo on loan, with a view to a long-term transfer, and, should Benfica accept those terms, would have to apply for a work permit because the defender has only one senior cap for his country.

Melgarejo was converted to full-back from a left-sided midfielder by Benfica's coach Jorge Jesus only last season and appeared in the Europa League final defeat by Chelsea.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/28/liverpool-brendan-rodgers-benfica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Another loan deal? I've no problem with loan deal in principle, I'd just hate to think that we're scratching around looking only at players we can loan because the funds are that tight.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    Another loan deal? I've no problem with loan deal in principle, I'd just hate to think that we're scratching around looking only at players we can loan because the funds are that tight.

Opr

We're saving money since buying Messi and Ronaldo ain't Cheap. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lorenzo Melgarejo is the Aly Sissoko fall back position I presume.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/06/12/ld-five-facts-about-arsenal-target-lorenzo-melgarejo/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Might be a good one for the future, but don't think he's going to improve the our starting 11 next season. We need to be doing something about bringing a couple of those in shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

How many loan deals are a club allowed do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Well we needed cover for LB anyway. I was even saying during the time of the Johnson rumours that even if he was sold, getting a left back was still a bigger priority.

General reaction for the loan left back guy seem incredibly negative. Benfica fans even suggesting that after last season they needed to get a better option at LB never mind him stepping up a level to Liverpool. Anyone seen him play much?
    Jan Hagen ‏@PortuBall
    Liverpool are trying to sign Melgarejo from Benfica on a loan, according to The Times. I would lough myself to dead if that happens.
    Quote:
    Jan Hagen ‏@PortuBall
    I was really scared when Arsenal where linked with Melgarejo earlier this summer. Hope for the sake of the LFC fans that they dont sign him.
    Quote:
    Jan Hagen ‏@PortuBall
    Melgarejo is initially a winger/striker, but Benfica used him as a fullback last season and he was, to be kind with him, terrible.
    Has he got potential? Yeah, probably. Can #LFC afford to buy someone in that position who could make as many mistakes as Enrique? No.
    In my blog about #SLB season, I suggested #SLB need to get a better option at LB. That should tell my #LFC followers my feel for Melga.

Opr

mike65 wrote: »
    Lorenzo Melgarejo is the Aly Sissoko fall back position I presume.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/06/12/ld-five-facts-about-arsenal-target-lorenzo-melgarejo/

Or maybe the Transfer Committee finally came to their senses?

I'll admit I've only seen Lorenzo once, and it's the EL Final against Chelski. So I can't say anything with Confidence about him.

But the Cissokho Deal, never made sense to me, other than its a Loan Deal which we can make Permanent for little money. Since he's essentially the Black Version of Enrique.

Both are Physical Beasts, Fast, but prone to the occasional Brain Farts while dwelling on the Ball too much.

So whatever Problems you may have with Enrique, you'll encounter the same thing with Cissokho.

• Advertisement

I find it hard to believe that we're shorter odds than Spurs for the league with almost all bookies.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/winner

I put a tenner on them at 40-1, I think that's pretty good value if they keep Bale and buy Soldado.

I find it hard to believe that we're shorter odds than Spurs for the league with almost all bookies.

I put a tenner on them at 40-1, I think that's pretty good value if they keep Bale and buy Soldado.

They might as well be 400/1. Chelsea will find it tough, never mind Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I doubt we were ever interested in Cissokho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »
    Agree, you'd love to know who scouted him and why he was bought cos it sure looks like Rodgers knew nothing.

If Anderlecht want him then you'd hope this might be linked to Matías Suárez coming the other way ;)

As long as he could pass a medical, and Anderlecht stopped wanting silly money for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Norwich top 8 finish at 15/2 looks tasty to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I am positive in the sense that I don't see it quite so negatively. I would nearly got as far as saying that I believe that the current squad is good enough to push for top 4 and that my main concerns (ignoring Suarez) for quite sometime now has been defensive. I think that if we get our sh1t together defensively, I think we will surprise quite a few this season.

I would be a lot more confident about getting out sh1t together defensively though if we signed Papa and a quality defensive mid.

The same players were significantly better just 12 to 24 months ago so I am hoping last season was an anomaly - we got hockeyed out of it in a few games.

Offensively though, I think we are quite strong and are close to having enough options.

I agree completely. This, in my view, is what Man United do differently to us. They don't have the same sense of desperation for success and consequently, players get given more time to bed in. Imagine if we spent close to 20m each on Anderson, Young, Valencia, Nani and Jones? There would be calls for sackings but not at United.

We have seen ourselves that Downing, Henderson and Enrique were close to different players last season when compared to the previous season. Not sure if Rogers gets the credit there but he certainly didn't **** it up so he deserves some of the credit. It is for this reason that I hoped Carroll would get another season but sure, it wasn't to be.

Agreed.

Aspas seems to be fine and will hopefully not take too long to ramp up. Alberto will take some time I suspect.

Indeed.

Quality needs to be added to the starting 11. There is no disputing that if we have aspirations to crack the top 4 properly. I think we have a chance now if we get a break or two.

As I said, it is not so much that I am positive. I just don't see things as negatively.
    Jesus. Thats gre...at:)

Tremendous feelings of positivity on here today. Huge change in a short period even though its pre-season.

But Monday meltdown looms....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Isnt that due to a larger amount money being placed on Liverpool rather than Spurs leading the bookies to shorten the odds on the (very) off chance we win the league, even though Spurs are more likely to do it:confused:

5live wrote: »
    Isnt that due to a larger amount money being placed on Liverpool rather than Spurs leading the bookies to shorten the odds on the (very) off chance we win the league, even though Spurs are more likely to do it:confused:

Must be that, even though I don't know any Liverpool fans silly enough to put money on us winning anything!

Must be that, even though I don't know any Liverpool fans silly enough to put money on us winning anything!

Oh the crazies are among us - http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2012-08-07/liverpool-fan-bets-44-000-on-his-side-to-win-the-premier-league/

fwiw, I think 40/1 about Spur's is well worth backing if they hold onto Bale.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Oh the crazies are among us - http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2012-08-07/liverpool-fan-bets-44-000-on-his-side-to-win-the-premier-league/

Opr

44 grand on LFC to win the PL@ 25/1, is he off his rocker?
    Better off giving the money to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

General reaction for the loan left back guy seem incredibly negative. Benfica fans even suggesting that after last season they needed to get a better option at LB never mind him stepping up a level to Liverpool. Anyone seen him play much?
    Quote:
    Jan Hagen ‏@PortuBall
    Melgarejo is initially a winger/striker, but Benfica used him as a fullback last season and he was, to be kind with him, terrible.

Opr

Maybe he isn't being considered as a LB option? A bit of reading shows him to be a goal scoring winger/forward who, for whatever reason ended up as a full back at Benfica.

Just looking at youtube vids - this guy is a full back only in the way Gareth Bale once was.

Opr

Christ. It also says Liverpool bets accounted for 40% of the stakes placed in the premier league winners market last year. I better retract my last statement then!
    "There has not been that much movement in or out of Anfield this summer but despite this, Liverpool now constitute around 40% of all stakes that we have taken on the Premier League winner market."

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Christ. It also says Liverpool bets accounted for 40% of the stakes placed in the premier league winners market last year. I better retract my last statement then!

I wonder have they only taken 105k on that market? I'm guessing its a much bigger market than that though. You'd have to have crazy fans from everywhere putting a bit of money on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I am positive in the sense that I don't see it quite so negatively. I would nearly got as far as saying that I believe that the current squad is good enough to push for top 4 and that my main concerns (ignoring Suarez) for quite sometime now has been defensive. I think that if we get our sh1t together defensively, I think we will surprise quite a few this season.

I would be a lot more confident about getting out sh1t together defensively though if we signed Papa and a quality defensive mid.

The same players were significantly better just 12 to 24 months ago so I am hoping last season was an anomaly - we got hockeyed out of it in a few games.

Offensively though, I think we are quite strong and are close to having enough options.

I agree completely. This, in my view, is what Man United do differently to us. They don't have the same sense of desperation for success and consequently, players get given more time to bed in. Imagine if we spent close to 20m each on Anderson, Young, Valencia, Nani and Jones? There would be calls for sackings but not at United.

We have seen ourselves that Downing, Henderson and Enrique were close to different players last season when compared to the previous season. Not sure if Rogers gets the credit there but he certainly didn't **** it up so he deserves some of the credit. It is for this reason that I hoped Carroll would get another season but sure, it wasn't to be.

Agreed.

Aspas seems to be fine and will hopefully not take too long to ramp up. Alberto will take some time I suspect.

Indeed.

Quality needs to be added to the starting 11. There is no disputing that if we have aspirations to crack the top 4 properly. I think we have a chance now if we get a break or two.

As I said, it is not so much that I am positive. I just don't see things as negatively.

I would say the team we put out, as of now, to start the first league game is weaker. We didnt push for top 4 last year so im thinking you are accounting for youngsters getting better than they have been. We cant really ignore Suarez for two reasons, actually 3, he isnt available, he wants to go anyway, and who are we going to buy to replace our best player?.

I would also argue that we are defensively weaker because we are more attacking. What the game giveth the game taketh. So in that respect, its imperative to get a couple of real commanders in, not dish those jobs out between a few, none of whom are good enough imo to push us on.

Admit is, your positivity is based on the fact that football is back on in a few weeks and you dont have to watch sh1te on the box to get through the days!!!!! Accurate? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

transfer season isnt over yet. but theres nothing to be positive about. as the U2 song goes "were running to stand still" we need to spend some ****ing money. but i agree class players arent always available every transfer window, but when some class does become available WE will have to pay over the odds to attract them. such is european life these days.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Jeez, sorry! I thought putting 44K on us to win the league last season was a cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Jeez, sorry! I thought putting 44K on us to win the league last season was a cert.

More likely to get 44K corners than we are to win the league :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

murpho999 wrote: »
    44 grand on LFC to win the PL@ 25/1, is he off his rocker?
    Better off giving the money to charity.

That was last year too so £44k down the drain

Just on Assaidi Creed, I wonder if we could use him as bait for one of Kouyaté or Praet. Latter is more than likely not going to move to us for the foreseeable future I hate to say, but Kouyaté is gettable. In the final year of his contract too and he's desperate to play in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

299879_herol.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

dfx- wrote: »
    This thread should see transfer deadline day, enjoy/hide behind the sofa - delete as applicable

Still want to make that bet?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wow, Gerrard really let himself go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Just on Assaidi Creed, I wonder if we could use him as bait for one of Kouyaté or Praet. Latter is more than likely not going to move to us for the foreseeable future I hate to say, but Kouyaté is gettable. In the final year of his contract too and he's desperate to play in the EPL.

7/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well Assaidi had as much impact on things as I expected. A player who amounted to nothing at Liverpool or "nothing player".

Why are we scratching around for loan deals on left backs again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well Assaidi had as much impact on things as I expected. A player who amounted to nothing at Liverpool or "nothing player".

I presume that since it's just a backup player, and we have Robinson and a few others coming through the ranks, we're just looking for a little short term depth. Makes sense I think, especially for someone like Cissokho who we know has quality, but who hasn't produced it recently. If he recaptures his form of old he could become a first choice option, and we buy. if not, Enrique stays a more-than-capable first choice and we let the loan player go, no harm no foul.

Sensible thing to do, so long as the big money is being kept for the 2 or so first teamers we need. As far as that goes, I'm not worried about those buys yet, considering we know the club were looking to spend pretty big on Mkhitaryan. They obviously recognize the deficiencies. So long as this time is being used to do due diligence on their next 20m target, I'm cool with that. In about a weeks time is when I'll start getting antsy.

I think the Suarez stuff has a big bearing on who we bring in - I'd say Mkhitaryan had attributes which fit a plan with or without Suarez, but perhaps other players they're looking at are more specialized, so the next move depends on if it's to be in a team complimenting Suarez, or to fit a team more focused around Coutinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Good question. The lack of spending in this window is getting very worrying.

Yes there's 4 weeks left in the window but we've a game in 3 weeks and it doesn't seem like we're being linked with anyone that will improve the first team.

We've been away for a couple of weeks so maybe that can be used as an excuse but if something doesn't happen this week then we're in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Yeah, a player bought out of the blue for a relatively cheap price must be a nothing player?? You must have been sickened when you saw us paying only £500,000 for Jordan Ibe? Another nothing player I suppose...

Assiadi is actually a decent player. He undoubtedly has talent, and I would imagine he will be successful at his next club, but sometimes things don't work out for players at certain clubs for whatever reason (eg Coutinho at Inter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

NoelJ wrote: »
    I wonder have they only taken 105k on that market? I'm guessing its a much bigger market than that though. You'd have to have crazy fans from everywhere putting a bit of money on.

I think you need to read the quote again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So whatever Problems you may have with Enrique, you'll encounter the same thing with Cissokho.

Honestly, I think people are too hard on Enrique. For the way we play, both he and Johnson are as important for their attack as their defense. Jose had 2 goals and 5 assists in 29 PL games last season, and only a single booking (compared to 1 goal, 5 assists and 7 bookings for Johnson). He's quick, and rarely gets beaten by a winger attacking him 1-2-1. He linked extremely well with Suarez and Coutinho in particular down that left side.

Realistically, who are we doing to replace him with? I don't think Lahm would come to us, or should we splurge 15M on Baines, who probably wouldn't come either?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement