Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You're right, all the wages we've slashed over the last 18 months have been reinvested wonderfully into the playing squad.

Oh no, actually that's not true at all.

You have become far more interested in the finances of the team than the actual playing squad or what is achieved on the pitch.

The pro-Rodgers/pro-FSG agenda is infinitely stronger than the anti-Rodgers/FSG one.

Rodgers has been running his mouth off for weeks about Reina to try and defend his position by giving his version of events, Reina is merely responding to that by point out that Rodgers wasn't exactly telling the whole truth.

Jesus, where did you pull that from.

Anyway, overly concerned with the finances? Me. You got to be kidding. Re-investing Pepes wages is the smart and sensible move. Pepe was a goner as soon as Mignolet signed the dotted line. How he departed is largely immaterial.

Now its over to the club. I don't know what will happen between now and September but neither do you..

I will admit, all this loaning players in has me worried. Slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Do you think we could get better than Reina for less than 5million incl. wages & transfer fee? I don't.

It's 5.5 million wages

plus any loan fee (of which there is almost certainly one)

Better keeper than Reina? No - but we don't necessarily need a keeper as good as Reina as #2.

Also, a year playing CL for Napoli will do more for his resale value in 12 months than a year on the bench at Liverpool
    an abortion of a transfer window

How much do you know about Aspas and Alberto to allow you to make that call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Leiva wrote: »
    If our goalkeeping options remain the same as they currently are come start of season will loaning Reina out still have been a good idea?

yes and no. it depends how you look at it.

yes, because that is too much money on the bench, and Pep isn't what he used to be.

no, because Jones isn't good enough, so we still need a sub keeper.

so we're where we were when we started with our keepers, except we've a slightly better, younger no.1 now.
    Remembering that if Mignolet is out for any length of time then it's Jones in the sticks.

it's amazing how I never heard this point when we had Pep. i'm not saying you're wrong, but it never seemed to be much of an issue before.

weird.

by the way, just reading through yesterday.

a lot of fúcking embarrassing hogwash about Aspas. good God Almighty, some people made fools of themselves, showing themselves up for the biased people they are, blatantly wanting the club to fail in order to prove themselves right.

the lad has played 180 minutes of fúcking pre-season football, and there were some ready to write him off.

what are we becoming?

hang your fúcking heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

You're right, all the wages we've slashed over the last 18 months have been reinvested wonderfully into the playing squad.

Oh no, actually that's not true at all.

You have become far more interested in the finances of the team than the actual playing squad or what is achieved on the pitch.

The pro-Rodgers/pro-FSG agenda is infinitely stronger than the anti-Rodgers/FSG one.

Rodgers has been running his mouth off for weeks about Reina to try and defend his position by giving his version of events, Reina is merely responding to that by point out that Rodgers wasn't exactly telling the whole truth.

I dont think there is a massive pro Rodgers FSG agenda on here, despite what you think. I think there are a few for sure but I think most people arent sure yet and are waiting to see if their plan works i.e. they have seen enough encouraging signs to give them hope.

I for one am not bowled over by them but nor am I disgusted at every single thing they do. For example saving £100k+ on a player who wanted to move to another team and where an adequate replacement has been bought is not a bad thing. Not telling him is however a bad thing. Football club owners are generally c&nts lets face it. They are business men at the end of the day and money talks. This is true for every business IMO.

This season is going to be the line in the sand for a lot of people re Rodgers. I think he did reasonably ok last season and deserves another season (as Kenny did). But if we are not challenging for 4th this season and finish 7th or 8th then I think most people will have had enough. If we finish 5-6th and are close to fourth people may be willing to give him another year. With the top 3 sewn up that leaves 1 spot for LFC/Arsenal/Spurs and 1-2 others. There are going to be good teams who miss out as Spurs did last year.

Ridiculing every decision by Rodgers from day 1 has been OTT in my opinion but each to their own.

Regarding Rodgers running his mouth off for weeks - I dont think he has. He has been farely upfront on it and what he said is what Reina has said. The issue here is that he was not told according to Reina. He deserved better than that (any player does) but it happens all the time and every club. Im not saying its right, its not, but it happens...its a tough business. Suarez is doing the opposite with us - going though the press ffs and not handing in a transfer request to suit himself and his pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Reina should stop complaining tbh.
    He basically has wanted to go to Barca for a few years now but they dont want him. So he was not really fully committed to Liverpool for some time now.

I don't think there is anyone here (at least there shouldn't be) who is sure/certain that Rodgers is the right man for the Liverpool job or will be a success. Defending him, wanting him to get more time (Even, in my case, wanting him appointed initially) are not the same as blindly supporting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Footballers have no obligation of loyalty to clubs, and clubs have no obligation of loyalty to players. That's modern football.

Reina's letter contains no surprises. He told the club to consider offers from Barcelona. The club signed a replacement keeper. Barca never came in for Reina so Liverpool loaned him to Napoli for a year. If pragmatism winning out over loyalty is surprising anyone at this point, they need to wake up.

I don't think there is anyone here (at least there shouldn't be) who is sure/certain that Rodgers is the right man for the Liverpool job or will be a success. Defending him, wanting him to get more time (Even, in my case, wanting him appointed initially) are not the same as blindly supporting him.

spot on.

i don't see how this isn't clear.

i do think some people are reading what they want to read, and believe every defence of Rodgers and the club is blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's a silly comparison - signing promising 16 year olds is a completely different sphere of player acquisition to signing mediocre 24 year olds from the Dutch League.

When we signed Assaidi you said on here that you had never heard of him and had never seen him play. I remember this becuase you and I discussed it on here. Really don't know how you can rate a player you have never seen play or have never heard of. You missed have really been ticked off when the likes of Hyypia was signed.

He has not turned out to be much for Liverpool and it is better to move him on that have him eating up even a small wage, but it is a bit rich to be going on about how it is as you expected when you admitted to knowing nothing about the player to start with.

Is a bit like you going on about how poor the youth/academy set up is in terms of producing talent was the other day , then admitting you did not realise the current set up only started 4 years ago.

Or the conversation you and I had some weeks back about Liverpool supporters booing Suarez at Anfield last season. When I challenged you on it through me being at the game in question, you then said you had not even watched the game on tv.

Rate a player as crap if you have seen him play, or rate a youth set up if you know something about it, but making claims about players you have never seen play or academy set ups you then have to admit not knowing stuff about really weakens your arguement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

mike65 wrote: »
    Reina was never staying only the naive think that.

The question is "should Liverpool buy a fresh No 2 keeper?"

Ideally yes, Jones isn't as bad as some like to portray but I'd prefer a young up and coming keeper who is willing to take his chances in cup ties to impress the manager.

Jones is a terrible keeper, who has no physicality at all to him and struggles with crosses and long range efforts.
    I have no confidence in him at all.
    I'm not 100% sold on our new keeper yet, but, Reina hasn't been inspiring me much lately either and kudos to lucky chap for calling it ages back.

That letter's response in here this morning doesn't add up. At worse we have signed someone who isn't as good as classic Reina but isn't far off that level according to opinions on him. So we have either stood still or improved our goalkeeping options, I'm inclined to think the latter.
    If he doesn't work out, we haven't sold Reina and if he loves the club as much as he says he can be here again next year and sign his extension. Or will he if Barca come in for him?

My worry, and its increasingly growing, is the whole wages saving scenario. It's great in theory to trim the bill and still have quality but we need it in quantity also.
    Currently we aren't really using any of the money saved. What good is it then? And I'm not advocating spending all of Reina, Carroll, Assaidi, etc saved wages but I would like to see us use some of it on one or two genuine first teamers.
    And I know we aren't in Champions League and will struggle to attract but we have been for the last few years and still got Meirles, Suarez, Countinho, Sturridge, Henderson etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

When are the schools back? I think I may stay off this thread until then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

flanzer wrote: »

What's this crap!
    The majority of posters here are regular ones and most during school term also. Unfortunately age has nothing to do with maturity and football doesn't encourage it either.:pac:

Read it.:mad:

Anyone who believes anything out of these fücking owners mouths again, or the puppet they have in the managers seat need their head examined.

Everything we have been told about Reinas situation has been absolute böllox and yes I'm going to believe Reinas side cause the other shower have a rep.

And who knows maybe Reinas form has been effected by the citrus that is/was going on around him - when your inside it's easier to see the true form of people.

Arrgghhh just sell up and piss off!

Hmmmm but when Torres came out after he left and talked about the supporters being great, but hinted at issues in the dressing room and with management there was no outcry to back Torres and say the owners and Kenny were a disgrace.

Can also remember plenty of here going on about Reina's form over the past two or so seasons, and about how we needed to replace him sooner rather than later. Think Lloyd was one of the first on here to rightly pick up on Reina's decline in form and he called that one spot on ino.

flanzer wrote: »

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4D9SDNgfMj-M7fhZeUEeIQLbVNzRPT1dX1FDhY6TyorZouzOO

Kess73 wrote: »
    When we signed Assaidi you said on here that you had never heard of him and had never seen him play. I remember this becuase you and I discussed it on here. Really don't know how you can rate a player you have never seen play or have never heard of. You missed have really been ticked off when the likes of Hyypia was signed.

He has not turned out to be much for Liverpool and it is better to move him on that have him eating up even a small wage, but it is a bit rich to be going on about how it is as you expected when you admitted to knowing nothing about the player to start with.

Is a bit like you going on about how poor the youth/academy set up is in terms of producing talent was the other day , then admitting you did not realise the current set up only started 4 years ago.

Or the conversation you and I had some weeks back about Liverpool supporters booing Suarez at Anfield last season. When I challenged you on it through me being at the game in question, you then said you had not even watched the game on tv.

Rate a player as crap if you have seen him play, or rate a youth set up if you know something about it, but making claims about players you have never seen play or academy set ups you then have to admit not knowing stuff about really weakens your arguement.

This post is crap.

FYI; I didn't read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Reina is saying farewell to us....but...but...isn't he back from his loan spell in 12 months time?! :confused::o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

On the first point, it was reasonable to note the academy set up hadn't produced anything concrete in a long time. I was under the impression things had changed earlier in Rafa's reign and stand corrected.

On the second point, I conceeded I was mistaken fairly instantaneously. I think that is fair enough on a discussion forum? You hear / read something. It fits, you express it. You are reliably corrected by someone better informed and you accept you were completely mistaken. But drag it up whenever you like again in the future I suppose.

Kess I'm not a professional scout. A player not wanted by anyone else; with limited achievements during his professional career; signed for a pittance is likely not going to be good enough at this club. I don't pretend to have an encyclopedic knowledge of European players. I am very comfortable labelling such transfers as not befitting of LFC, and it looks like he gets to resume the career arc matching to his abilities with little harm done so good for him.

Think Lloyd was one of the first on here to rightly pick up on Reina's decline in form and he called that one spot on ino.

And people said mean things to me when I initially brought it up. :)

I would be surprised if he reclaims his best form ever again but I don't think anyone on here would begrudge him same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

John Henry's fault, no doubt.

Give it a rest you're getting boring now.

Kess I'm not a professional scout. A player not wanted by anyone else; with limited achievements during his professional career; signed for a pittance is likely not going to be good enough at this club. I don't pretend to have an encyclopedic knowledge of European players. I am very comfortable labelling such transfers as not befitting of LFC, and it looks like he gets to resume the career arc matching to his abilities with little harm done so good for him.

But what about players like Hyypia, Arbeloa and others who cost pittance, came from nowhere (relatively) and were good players for us.

It's not really fair that you use players like Aspas, Alberto, Assaidi etc as sticks to beat the management with when you don't know anything about them.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ike wrote: »

Wow, that one has come out of the blue. I didn't see that one coming!

:P

But what about players like Hyypia, Arbeloa and others who cost pittance, came from nowhere (relatively) and were good players for us.

It's not really fair that you use players like Aspas, Alberto, Assaidi etc as sticks to beat the management with when you don't know anything about them.

You can't find a Michu unless you are willing to take the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

5starpool wrote: »
    Wow, that one has come out of the blue. I didn't see that one coming!

:P

Neither did Reina

It's also worth noting that the track record of our current scouts has been good so far - Coutinho and Sturridge have both been successes (thus far).

That should buy them a little trust when it comes to Mignolet, Aspas, Alberto and Toure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

I love mondays.

homer-spinning-o.gif

8yrs or service and one of (if not) the best goalkeeper the club has ever had, and all gets is 4lines on the official site:rolleyes::

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/140030-reds-confirm-pepe-reina-loan-move

Gerrards renewals in recent times has gotten full page write ups if I remember correctly.

I know it's only a loan deal but can you really see him returning now?

A line for every 2 years, seems alright

• Advertisement

I haven't complained much about Alberto or Aspas? We may strike the lotto on them I guess, but they certainly are not going to be game changers. Alberto's professional experience to date indicates that he's a long term project, not an immediate improvement for the first XI.

I actually remember being lined up outside School the day Hyppia was confirmed (well it could have been a few days after pre Internet :)) and the reaction was 'who?' The difference was that in the windows such players were signed, obvious quality purchases were also on show. Hyypia was signed along with Hammann and Sissoko and Crouch were signed in the same window as Arbeloa and Agger.

I don't have time to play Football Manager anymore and while I watch a game or two from Seria A and the Bundesliga every couple of weeks and keep up with highlights packages, the players we're in for haven't caught my radar. Some people may find our purchases exciting and like the idea of constant future potential being brought in. Maybe signing Soldado would be boring because he's well known and proven? I don't know. The point is that the overall approach is very clear and it's the overall approach I have a problem with. I haven't seen Luis Alberto play a full 90 minutes (have you) but I know he isn't closing the gap to the top four this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I would be surprised if he reclaims his best form ever again but I don't think anyone on here would begrudge him same.
    He's back working with a manager who obviously believes in him, with his favoured coach (Valero) and with the carrot of Barca at the end of the season so if he can't do it this season he never will.

Daemonic wrote: »
    He's back working with a manager who obviously believes in him, with his favoured coach (Valero) and with the carrot of Barca at the end of the season so if he can't do it this season he never will.

Absolutely.....and a world cup year too.

On the first point, it was reasonable to note the academy set up hadn't produced anything concrete in a long time. I was under the impression things had changed earlier in Rafa's reign and stand corrected.

On the second point, I conceeded I was mistaken fairly instantaneously. I think that is fair enough on a discussion forum? You hear / read something. It fits, you express it. You are reliably corrected by someone better informed and you accept you were completely mistaken. But drag it up whenever you like again in the future I suppose.

Nobody asked you if you had even a decent knowledge of players, just seems very odd to see you now saying Assaidi is what you expected when you had already said on here you knew nothing about the player when we got him. And it was well known the player was wanted by other clubs something that was discussed on here.

Using that logic every player we get that you don't know about or have not seen play must be a nothing player in your eyes as well.

As for your other points, well the new academy set up is something which has been discussed at length on here over the past few years, in fact youth games and the like are rarely far from the thread, and when you posted about it you were pretty definite in your comments and you were posting as if you had read up on it or that you knew something about.

And yes I brought up the points from the past, but because they were on topics that you and I discussed, one being quite recently. It is all well and good trotting out the discussion board excuse but when you have to come out almost straight away and admit you never even watched the game you were claiming something happened in, or come out and admit you did not even know when the academy started despite you claiming it was so long since it produced a talent, it does weaken your orginal attempt at a point.

Most would expect a person to have something to back up the point/claim they are making rather than see the point get blown apart as soon as it is examined.

It sometimes actually annoys me a little when you do it, and not because I think you are a negative poster or any of that kind of crap which gets spouted off by some on here. It annoys me because I think you are a decent poster who can be quite engaging when the mood takes you. I think you are probably the kind of poster who could take a strong personal opinion with the facts as you see it to back it up the opinion, and debate it with the best of them, possibly even bringing some fence sitters around to your train of thought in the process.

Basically I think you are the kind of poster who could be great craic to get into a debate over differing opinions, and the kind who could be just as much craic when picking at the scabs of a topic we both agree upon.

I haven't seen Luis Alberto play a full 90 minutes (have you) but I know he isn't closing the gap to the top four this season.

I've never seen him play, bar in a Liverpool shirt, so I have little idea how good or bad he is. I'm not going to write him off or call this a bad window or say the club is lacking ambition because he has been the extent of our purchases so far.

He could be a superstar. He could hit the ground running like Coutinho. He could be a slow burning success. He could be a disaster. We don't know.

We do know he and Aspas were probably bought to provide backup to Suarez and Coutinho respectively and we do also know that the club has the funds and is in the market for a quality attacking player (see Mkhitaryan bid). It's pointless making judgement (either about players or about the window as a whole) until September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I agree with posters saying if you follow the trail of events, then things probably make sense. Up to a point neither did much wrong, Pepe stuck by us for years and years and no one really begrudged him coming out at this stage saying he would like a move to Barce if the opportunity presented itself. The club did nothing wrong in signing a replacement.

Why though did they not at least talk to him about the Napoli move? I mean Rodger's goes on about this great relationship he had with him, going for dinner etc and they were on tour together but no speaks to him about all this? It seems now that relations are quite strained between himself and the club. He's not the first player to experience this strange cold parting of the ways with the club once it's clear the club don't want them anymore.

As for those saying he should have kept quiet, he's clearly upset and writing from the heart. He seems most upset at the lack of a chance to say goodbye to the fans in a way he would've wanted. He has been a huge character in our past and I just feel pretty sad that a club he clearly loved so much for so long has ended on such a bitter note.

Opr

• Advertisement

You did call it spot on imho, and hindsight makes it very clear to me and possibly others how early you called.

Would agree on the comment regarding his best form also. I think he may go on to show good form, but I think it will be good form compared to how far he regressed rather than good forn on par to what he showed four or five years ago.

Like yourself, I would not begrudge him anything good that comes his way as a player. He served Liverpool well, and was a rock when at his peak. But time waits for no player, and replacing him was a no brainer imo. Some may even argue that we replaced him a year or two later than we should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

You did call it spot on imho, and hindsight makes it very clear to me and possibly others how early you called.

Would agree on the comment regarding his best form also. I think he may go on to show good form, but I think it will be good form compared to how far he regressed rather than good forn on par to what he showed four or five years ago.

Like yourself, I would not begrudge him anything good that comes his way as a player. He served Liverpool well, and was a rock when at his peak. But time waits for no player, and replacing him was a no brainer imo. Some may even argue that we replaced him a year or two later than we should have.

I dont think anyone will ever begrudge Reina for going. Despite his poor form he was always a player that no-one ever said they wanted to turf out.

Nobody asked you if you had even a decent knowledge of players, just seems very odd to see you now saying Assaidi is what you expected when you had already said on here you knew nothing about the player when we got him. And it was well known the player was wanted by other clubs something that was discussed on here.

Using that logic every player we get that you don't know about or have not seen play must be a nothing player in your eyes as well.

Well no Kess, that's not correct and you know it. Market interest and value are going to be decent indicators of how good a player is. You tend to know players are over the hill when they move for free early in a window; just as you know a player hasn't acquired much interest when he moves on the cheap out of the blue.

Given I don't have a professional coaching qualification in all liklehood just going on that type of limited information will probably provide me with a superior opinion than if I actually watched the dude play! :)
    It sometimes actually annoys me a little when you do it, and not because I think you are a negative poster or any of that kind of crap which gets spouted off by some on here. It annoys me because I think you are a decent poster who can be quite engaging when the mood takes you. I think you are probably the kind of poster who could take a strong personal opinion with the facts as you see it to back it up the opinion, and debate it with the best of them, possibly even bringing some fence sitters around to your train of thought in the process.

Basically I think you are the kind of poster who could be great craic to get into a debate over differing opinions, and the kind who could be just as much craic when picking at the scabs of a topic we both agree upon.

I don't research everything meticulously before I post, true. I don't apply the same standards here that I do in work with rare exceptions. I'm just a guy typing **** on the Internet!

opr wrote: »
    I agree with posters saying if you follow the trail of events, then things probably make sense. Up to a point neither did much wrong, Pepe stuck by us for years and years and no one really begrudged him coming out at this stage saying he would like a move to Barce if the opportunity presented itself. The club did nothing wrong in signing a replacement.

Why though did they not at least talk to him about the Napoli move? I mean Rodger's goes on about this great relationship he had with him, going for dinner etc and they were on tour together but no speaks to him about all this? It seems now that relations are quite strained between himself and the club. He's not the first player to experience this strange cold parting of the ways with the club once it's clear the club don't want them anymore.

As for those saying he should have kept quiet, he's clearly upset and writing from the heart. He seems most upset at the lack of a chance to say goodbye to the fans in a way he would've wanted. He has been a huge character in our past and I just feel pretty sad that a club he clearly loved so much for so long has ended on such a bitter note.

Opr

I dont think Pep was on tour. He never came back from Confed cup duty.

It seems to happen a lot at football clubs-not a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

gafferino wrote: »
    I dont think there is a massive pro Rodgers FSG agenda on here, despite what you think. I think there are a few for sure but I think most people arent sure yet and are waiting to see if their plan works i.e. they have seen enough encouraging signs to give them hope.

I for one am not bowled over by them but nor am I disgusted at every single thing they do. For example saving £100k+ on a player who wanted to move to another team and where an adequate replacement has been bought is not a bad thing. Not telling him is however a bad thing. Football club owners are generally c&nts lets face it. They are business men at the end of the day and money talks. This is true for every business IMO.

This season is going to be the line in the sand for a lot of people re Rodgers. I think he did reasonably ok last season and deserves another season (as Kenny did). But if we are not challenging for 4th this season and finish 7th or 8th then I think most people will have had enough. If we finish 5-6th and are close to fourth people may be willing to give him another year. With the top 3 sewn up that leaves 1 spot for LFC/Arsenal/Spurs and 1-2 others. There are going to be good teams who miss out as Spurs did last year.

Ridiculing every decision by Rodgers from day 1 has been OTT in my opinion but each to their own.

Regarding Rodgers running his mouth off for weeks - I dont think he has. He has been farely upfront on it and what he said is what Reina has said. The issue here is that he was not told according to Reina. He deserved better than that (any player does) but it happens all the time and every club. Im not saying its right, its not, but it happens...its a tough business. Suarez is doing the opposite with us - going though the press ffs and not handing in a transfer request to suit himself and his pockets.

But but but cup runs>> than league position???

Or can that only be used to defend Dalglish?

It will be very interesting if we end up in 5/6th with a cup this season. I wonder whose tune will have changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'm just a guy typing **** on the Internet!

Can we frame that and put it in the charter???

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

He's not the first player to experience this strange cold parting of the ways with the club once it's clear the club don't want them anymore.

The same can be said in many clubs. And he began this break-up by saying he'd be interested in Barca, at a time when Valdes had said he wouldn't renew and they were expected to be in the market.

That's how it goes. Rarely 100% amicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Opr

I think this is the best decision for both parties. Obviously, in an ideal world Pepe would have got his dream move to Barca and we would've picked up 8-10m in return. However, that's not how it worked out. The club had to prepare for his exit and when the move fell through, Pepe was left in a difficult situation. To a certain extent, he made his bed and he then had to lie in it. The club has done no wrong here.

Personnaly, while I like Pepe, I was quite disappointed / annoyed with some of his quotes in recent years. I sometimes felt that he overstepped the mark with some of his comments about the owners, transfer strategy, etc. If you go around questionning the owners, looking for a move, etc then don't be surprised if the club prepares for life without you (even more so when your form has been dodgy for the best part of 2 years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't research everything meticulously before I post, true. I don't apply the same standards here that I do in work with rare exceptions. I'm just a guy typing **** on the Internet!

BUT

180px-Internet-serious-business.jpg

And to be entirely serious, if a contributor (who likes to lay down the law) expects their views to be taken seriously then they need to be up to speed about the subject at hand. Offering up opinions and then admitting not knowing much or even anything about player/manager/tactics/context is not cool.

I nearly forgot about that celebration. Reina was the first over to Ngog who was in front of the KOP and Reina was at the opposite end:D
    It would be my celebration against Manchester United when David Ngog scored a late goal. That is probably the quickest I have ever run in my life. It shows what playing for Liverpool meant to me and also that there was nothing better than winning a big game at Anfield."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Hardly needed in fairness. But a basic knowledge of what one is talking about would be assumed when a person tries to make a point that is pretty definite in it's content and structure.

Like yourself, I don't apply the same standards here that I do for myself with regards to my business, but I do try to debate a point or opinion to the best of my current knowledge on that topic, rather than just throw out something I would be incapable of debating as soon as the first informed reply arrived.

So what you can do now is present a 3,000 word piece on why Herman Melville (yes him again :P) was one of the primary influences on the bromance film genre. I expect it on my desk by first thing Thursday morning. :pac:

mike65 wrote: »
    BUT

180px-Internet-serious-business.jpg

And to be entirely serious, if a contributor (who likes to lay down the law) expects their views to be taken seriously then they need to be up to speed about the subject at hand. Offering up opinions and then admitting not knowing much or even anything about player/manager/tactics/context is not cool.

I didn't say I don't know much or even anything about EVERYTHING. I know enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

8yrs or service and one of (if not) the best goalkeeper the club has ever had, and all gets is 4lines on the official site:rolleyes::

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/140030-reds-confirm-pepe-reina-loan-move

Gerrards renewals in recent times has gotten full page write ups if I remember correctly.

I know it's only a loan deal but can you really see him returning now?

They should have printed his open letter.........awkward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

just seems very odd to see you now saying Assaidi is what you expected when you had already said on here you knew nothing about the player when we got him.
    Nothing unusual about that. Assaidi came to us as a virtually unknown player from a second tier side in a second tier league. The only thing that's odd is that a lot of people seem to think that we're letting a good player slip through our fingers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement