Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Ben Hart ‏@IHMU4EVA 12m

Just told the missus that I want to shag the next door neighbour. But if she says no then I want our relationship to stay intact. #Reina
    Retweeted by Jay_Riley
    Expand

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

^^^Thats brilliant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Nothing unusual about that. Assaidi came to us as a virtually unknown player from a second tier side in a second tier league. The only thing that's odd is that a lot of people seem to think that we're letting a good player slip through our fingers.

Doubt there are many posts saying that. Would imagine that the vast majority of posts would be saying something along the lines of it being better to sell him on if he is not wanted by the manager.

5live wrote: »
    But but but cup runs>> than league position???

Or can that only be used to defend Dalglish?

It will be very interesting if we end up in 5/6th with a cup this season. I wonder whose tune will have changed?

Everyone's tune will have to change if that happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quote: Ben Hart ‏@IHMU4EVA 12m

Just told the missus that I want to shag the next door neighbour. But if she says no then I want our relationship to stay intact. #Reina
    Retweeted by Jay_Riley
    Expand

:P

We are a traditional home and have kicked him out of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Everyone's tune will have to change if that happened!

Well in my eyes winning the league cup this season but getting 52 points in the league would not be enough to save Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Just told the missus that I want to shag anything that will let me as long as it's in Europe. They keep saying no but it's alright as the missus is still begging me to stay.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5live wrote: »
    But but but cup runs>> than league position???

Or can that only be used to defend Dalglish?

It will be very interesting if we end up in 5/6th with a cup this season. I wonder whose tune will have changed?

Finish 8th and make two Cup
    Finals and Rodgers can have another season from me. You can quote me later if necessary.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well Assaidi had as much impact on things as I expected. A player who amounted to nothing at Liverpool or "nothing player".

Why are we scratching around for loan deals on left backs again?

Absolute bull. Clubs like Anderlecht, Ajax and Feyenoord with excellent academies and general scouting networks want him, all three would be considered the very best of the best in their respective countries in this area, Europe in general and in the world. They're quite clearly clued up. I find that more validating.
    Dalglish signings were ok on paper, they just paid waaaay too much for most of them. Hidgson's were a joke, but again, Cole was ok on paper. Wasn't Jovanovic arranged by Rafa?

We're playing better that that era anyway - nowhere near well enough - but at least we're not struggling to beat Northmpton at home.

On paper the majority were terrible too.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    by the way, just reading through yesterday.

a lot of fúcking embarrassing hogwash about Aspas. good God Almighty, some people made fools of themselves, showing themselves up for the biased people they are, blatantly wanting the club to fail in order to prove themselves right.

the lad has played 180 minutes of fúcking pre-season football, and there were some ready to write him off.

what are we becoming?

hang your fúcking heads.

If Aspas was good, he'd have 4 goals by now. Flop!
    Daemonic wrote: »
    He's back working with a manager who obviously believes in him, with his favoured coach (Valero) and with the carrot of Barca at the end of the season so if he can't do it this season he never will.

If he believes in him, why won't he buy him? Even if his wages are high. Why was Julio Cesar the primary Napoli goalkeeper target and not Reina?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

NukaCola wrote: »
    They should have printed his open letter.........awkward

I doubt they'd print a letter when he was critical of the club in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Kess73 wrote: »
    So what you can do now is present a 3,000 word piece on why Herman Melville (yes him again :P) was one of the primary influences on the bromance film genre. I expect it on my desk by first thing Thursday morning. :pac:

I would prefer not to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I actually remember being lined up outside School the day Hyppia was confirmed (well it could have been a few days after pre Internet :)) and the reaction was 'who?' The difference was that in the windows such players were signed, obvious quality purchases were also on show. Hyypia was signed along with Hammann and Sissoko and Crouch were signed in the same window as Arbeloa and Agger.

:confused: He was a Benitez signing, wasn't he?

From what I remember, the day Hyypia was unveiled we had a few posing for pictures. Possibly Hyypia, Westerveld, Diomede, Camara and Smicer. Not even sure if Hamann had been signed at that time. He may have been and if so I stand corrected.

EDIT: Eric Meijer may have been one of those unveiled too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Would love to know what was said ....

BQVq-D8CIAEj1wL.jpg

Finals and Rodgers can have another season from me. You can quote me later if necessary.

Cups aren't gonna have any bearing on whether Rodgers stays or goes. FSG haven't bought LFC for the hope of cup success.

Leiva wrote: »

BQVq-D8CIAEj1wL.jpg

Aspas has a look and strut about him like he's a smart-arse cheeky fck:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

THE END OF AN ERA
    IT truly is the end of an era.

The last of Rafa’s Spanish conquistadors has set sail and departed these shores. Undeniably clouded by the ongoing farce surrounding Luis Suarez, the departure of the greatest last guardian of Liverpool’s defence for a generation has been greeted by deafening silence.

Pepe deserves more than this.

He’s seen it all from his vantage point in goal; the corrosion of a burgeoning European force into mid-table mediocrity. How indeed would you react to seeing a central midfield of Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano degrade into Christian Poulsen and then Charlie Adam within a matter of 24 months?
    I’d be on the first plane home. That Pepe has lasted four years since the watershed moment of Alonso’s departure speaks volumes of not solely his loyalty, but his affection for this football club.

However, his displacement and departure has been met with more acclaim than condemnation.

Past it, they say. Not punching his weight. Not economically viable. The cold statistical analysis may well point to a decent bit of long-term business from the club; but I know that I will miss the sight of Pepe pounding towards the Kop and the sound of his boot kicking against the foot of the post.

It’s only natural to be so attached to someone who inspired such consistency and played a significant part in the club’s most recent halcyon days; he was a totemic figure, both between the sticks and in the dressing room.

Sentimentality is a dangerous by-product of club football; it can distort both memories and expectations.

But, I for one am optimistic about Simon Mignolet, and believe he can have a similarly rejuvenating effect on Liverpool’s defence as Reina did in 2005.
    And that’s the point – this is a cyclical process, and football is a cyclical sport.

Reina set such a high standard with three consecutive Golden Glove awards between 2006 and 2008, one that was always improbably maintainable.
    It had always felt in the past that he would choose his own time to leave, indeed he nearly did during the darkest of days in the 2010-11 season, but he hung tight. And now he has been pushed, after his unwillingness to jump.

He showed more loyalty to the football club than any of his compatriots, and for that he deserves major credit. He is a self-proclaimed adopted scouser, in the same vein as Dirk Kuyt. He took the club to heart more than that Torres. More than even Saint Alonso.

He put faith in FSG and Kenny Dalglish, that they could restore the club to its pre-2009 position, as many of us supporters did. That promise failed to materialise then, and is still as unattainable now. But you won’t hear him hark on about broken promises, or a desire for the whole truth to come out.
    He was not merely a goalkeeper, but an ebullient character and personality; one whose sheer unbridled joy which met a goal has been captured and emblazoned across many an iconic image of the club’s recent heyday.

Who could forget his pitch long sprint to embrace David N’gog after he secured what seemed, at the time, a momentous victory over Manchester United? Or better yet, his faux throttle on Arjen Robben’s face in February 2006? – I sure hope Simon Mignolet is just as photogenic and dynamic.
    In amongst them, though, the clangers – the misjudgement at Manchester City last season, the last minute fumble on the first day of the 2010-11 season against Arsenal and most comically the Andy Johnson save at Goodison in 2006, which he decided to drop on his head.

But the inspirational outshone the embarrassing, and will define how he is remembered in years to come.

The penalty shoot-out saves against West Ham in the 2006 FA Cup Final, and against Chelsea in the Champions League semi final, would be the pinnacle of any goalkeeper’s career.

He should have won more. You’d be forgiven for doing a double take when you scroll down his honours list. He’s won more trophies with Spain as a substitute goalkeeper than he racked up in 394 appearances for Liverpool – the Super Cup and Community Shield really don’t count.

Pepe deserved more for his loyalty to the club. But it would be fickle to bemoan the club for jettisoning a hero, when we are so ready to hound out a traitor.

Vamos a echar de menos, Pepe.
    Gracias, amigo.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2013/07/the-end-of-an-era/

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

BQVq-D8CIAEj1wL.jpg

"They told me we wont sign anyone else....that we are good enough to get 4th"

Aspas has a look and strut about him like he's a smart-arse cheeky fck:D

Looks a bit light to me. Big test coming up for him and Alberto.

Stoke should open their eyes first game.:)

Aapas just Alberto he was going to screw his sister and mother and then hack the offy so he can post the video up.

Frankly he looks the sort who would. :p

kfallon wrote: »

From what I remember, the day Hyypia was unveiled we had a few posing for pictures. Possibly Hyypia, Westerveld, Diomede, Camara and Smicer. Not even sure if Hamann had been signed at that time. He may have been and if so I stand corrected.

Actually found a picture, yes it has been annoying me the past ten minutes :P

image-21-for-gallery-liverpool-fc-legend-sami-hyypia-to-leave-anfield-420989101.jpg

• Advertisement

Post required more punctuation. Obviously Sissoko relates to Agger and Arbeloa.

Actually found a picture, yes it has been annoying me the past ten minutes :P

image-21-for-gallery-liverpool-fc-legend-sami-hyypia-to-leave-anfield-420989101.jpg

Fairly certain Hamann was signed in and around that time though

Popadouololouspoulouss looks to be back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Question:

If our goalkeeping options remain the same as they currently are come start of season will loaning Reina out still have been a good idea?

Remembering that if Mignolet is out for any length of time then it's Jones in the sticks.

You'd swear injuries and lengthy bans were common with keepers, in Reina's 8 years at the club last year with his injury was the only time this has been an issue. Sure in an ideal world we should get in a better no. 2 then Jones but what you don't do is keep a keeper on 110 grand a week on the bench on the slim off chance Mignolet gets a cech like injury or does a Suarez and gets banned for half the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Really? And what if we lose both Cup Finals?

I'm not sure how bad this season would have to be before Rodgers would lose his job, but I'd imagine if we don't break in the CL places within the next 2 seasons FSG will start to look elsewhere.

_48722996_dot_bbc304.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Club smartened up, refused to be stung, and improved upon a position. Is this not exactly what we've been calling for the Club to do for quite some time now?

A lot of laughable stuff posted this morning.

mike65 wrote: »
    _48722996_dot_bbc304.jpg

Lol it's the one thing I refer back to when trying to remember his name :pac:

https://twitter.com/search?q=lfc&src=typd
    Source: @wordonthepitch

Our contact in Merseyside, currently on tour with the players – has told us that Luis Suarez will in fact stay at Liverpool after having a long meeting with Brendan Rodgers within the past 48 hours. Although we do not know the reason for this sudden u-turn, I have received some very accurate predictions to why, we are hearing that he wanted the Real Madrid move but they are not willing to pay Anfields asking price, the striker does not want a move to other English club due to the ‘media’.

We are expecting him to come out and say that he never infact wanted to leave, and his ‘owes’ the fans his loyalty. Liverpool have also agreed to bumper up his wages to the same as Steven Gerrard, £120k.

http://wordonthepitch.com/luis-suarez-to-stay-at-liverpool/

Anyone know anything about this person/persons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I am choosing to believe the above internet rumour.

• Advertisement

Seamu$ wrote: »

I'm not sure how bad this season would have to be before Rodgers would lose his job, but I'd imagine if we don't break in the CL places within the next 2 seasons FSG will start to look elsewhere.

If our competitive season extended down to the last couple of games in the English calendar and we were never in danger of relegation at any point then, yes, you'd have to give him another year just like Kenny should have been afforded another year.

IF we made two Cup Finals, it would be important to note that they'd be the most significant achievements on his CV too...

Fairly certain Hamann was signed in and around that time though

He was signed that pre season alright but not in time for that photo. Didn't he get injured almost straight away and missed a few games at the start?

Seamu$ wrote: »

Thats exactly it. I think FSG will be looking at getting closer to the 70 point mark next season. Cups aren't the reason they bought LFC. The Premier League and CL qualification are where they want the club to perform.

Bar embarrassing cup exits coming on the tail of poor league form, the cups won't have any relevance on whether Rodgers stays or goes. If the club develops enough during the season, picks more points off the weaker teams and makes more of a dint against the clubs above us, than Rodgers is save.

BR is lucky in the sense that the club is better organised than it was under Kenny. The owners have learned and the transfer structures are better. BR won't be sacked because a Comolli style transfer splurge didn't work.

IF we made two Cup Finals, it would be important to note that they'd be the most significant achievements on his CV too...

Nah, surely learning Spanish and Italian are more worthwhile. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Yeah this one is true. I choose to believe this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Finally Twitter has pulled through with some good stuff.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

It's gotten to the stage now where I don't believe ANYTHING I read.

This is a terrible state of affairs.

Information Superhighway? Nah...bullshit super highway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It's gotten to the stage now where I don't believe ANYTHING I read.

This is a terrible state of affairs.

Information Superhighway? Nah...bullshit super highway.

Not sure whether I believe you don't believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

This rumour restarted thanks to a certain subterranean mammal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If that happens he'll probably face the sack. Too much value being placed on cup runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If thats true then Brendan is a negotiation wizard.

murpho999 wrote: »
    If that happens he'll probably face the sack. Too much value being placed on cup runs.

FSG may very well sack him but it doesn't mean they'd be right.

If we traded a few points in the league for deep cup runs then it would be hard to argue we'd regressed.

===========

As for the Suarez rumour, brilliant news if he's staying but we still need two starting IX signings nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Dickerty wrote: »
    This rumour restarted thanks to a certain subterranean mammal!
    Ignore him

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

IF the Suarez thing turns out to be true, then I would be amazed if as part of the pay bump thing there wasn't a new proper get out clause, hopefully for clubs outside the PL. It would be good to get that put to bed now rather than rumble on into the season, and hopefully now the club is back this side of the world they can concentrate on getting in players that they said they are expecting to come in. I've seen mentions of a couple of medicals scheduled for this week as well, but we'll see.

Massive pinch of salt being taken with the 'info' above obviously, but I'd hope to see at least 1 new signing made and at the match at the weekend for me to cheer on. It'll be the first time in years I've used a proper paper ticket at Anfield.

https://twitter.com/search?q=lfc&src=typd
    We are expecting him to come out and say that he never infact wanted to leave, and his ‘owes’ the fans his loyalty. Liverpool have also agreed to bumper up his wages to the same as Steven Gerrard, £120k.

http://wordonthepitch.com/luis-suarez-to-stay-at-liverpool/

Anyone know anything about this person/persons?

He is already on about 120k a week by all estimation. I call shenanigans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i know some think Rodgers gets credit for anything (i think that's bollocks, but whatever), but if that story is true, and he really has been convinced to stay for another season after a meeting with Brendan, then that is the best bit of work he's done so far, and he'll deserve an awful lot of credit.

we'll see.

*awaits the angle of "sure, Suarez simply had nowhere to go".

as said though, we still need two starting XI players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It does seem plausible that Suarez can be persuaded to stay for another season with the notion that he is free to leave next year should Madrid come in or should we fail to finish outside the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Just reading a few different rumour sites and "Macca" is mentioning Michu.
    The usual non-commital post, but how would people feel of him instead of Mikhtaryan, hopefully a but cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you won't get Michu for less than £25m.

so no.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It does seem plausible that Suarez can be persuaded to stay for another season with the notion that he is free to leave next year should Madrid come in or should we fail to finish outside the top 4.

I'm pretty sure we won't fail to finish outside the top 4!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement