Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    But it's bad thinking to say 'well we tried that once, so let's never do it again'. The attitude / idea was the right attitude / idea, the execution was piss poor. You identify how to improve upon the execution process and you go back to work.

If they sanctioned a big investment during 2011 they obviously did so because they believed the squad required it. When it failed the squad would therefore still have required it!! :) To then change tack and say 'okay, small money moves for players with resale only' ultimately means 'we've stopped trying to compete for now'.

And people can talk about moneyball, means and patience and that's fine if they're willing to settle in for a half decade more at least outside of the CL. Some people have indeed expressed that very opinion on here over the past week.

But other people are backing the post 2011 approach in the market and at the same time hoping we increase points haul in the league towards the 70 mark. Like, I'm obviously no Rodgers fan but I'd have to say that he hasn't got the full backing from FSG that he requires - accepting that some of Rodger's targets have performed poorly thus far.

Excellent post and points the real issue back to its source which are FSG.
    I read this earlier which at the end of the day is only one guys idea of what might be going on,but I found it good and potential strategies FSG might be taking:
    Anybody who buys a distressed asset does so primarily because they think they are getting a knockdown price. But you only get the benefit of that price when you sell. In any other field of business you would therefore reasonably assume that the buyers have their eye on a sale at some point. But people lose track of that in football because of of the distraction by non-commercial considerations like emotion, allegiance, tribalism, and fans demanding that the owners splash money everywhere.

At the time of sale there were three or four obvious ways of FSG ramping up the value of the club:

1. Just sorting it out and making it a viable business, as opposed to an insolvent basket-case haemorrhaging money on loan interest.

2. Realising the commercial potential of the brand.

3. Sorting out the stadium (i.e. 'match day income').

4. Improving on-pitch performance (which always boils down to Champions League).

You can see them taking steps on all these fronts. However, they have learned painfully that 4 is not easy at all, and can't be fixed by chucking £100m at it. So if they do plan to sell then that might be the one that they decide is too hard and don't have the appetite to take on.

To me the logical point to sell is therefore when they have cast-iron resolution on the stadium. I don't know when that is: is it when they have the planning permission and all the neighbouring properties sorted out? Is it once they have secured the funding and put building contracts etc. in place? Or is it once they have actually built the thing? But given that all of them take time, and they can progress 1 and 2 substantially in the meantime (and any progress on 4 is a bonus), then my guess is that once the value of a new/refurbished stadium is concretely realised then that might be the point at which they exit.

BTW even if that point is 2/3 years off, it would be no surprise if they were sounding out (multiple) potential purchasers now.
    http://tl.gd/n_1rlkip1 · Reply
    Report post (?)

Something still nags at me about these owners and even though they deny rumours and that they are only getting started something tells me they won't be in for the long haul.

I think you have touched in this with the lack of support for Rodgers etc.
    A reasonable amount of time has passed since the purchase, and a lot of eyes or on them now. This window should tell us an awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Morzadec wrote: »
    I think there is a key difference between judging the player and judging the signing.

That's what's being talked about here.

People are going to have opinions on signings regardless of whether they have seen them play much as you can infer likely outcomes from player history/stats/reputation/ and yes, even the fee paid. They're not neccessarily writing off the player, but they are saying the signings lack ambition and don't give a lot of hope.

I don't have any problem with the signings we've made so far and fees we've paid for them, but I pretty much see all of them as squad fillers or like for like replacements for first teamers who have left.

I would share the opinion that we have not really improved our first XI much and that we definitely need at least 1 signing (attacking centre-mid) that is a significant step-up on what we will be putting out against Stoke if things stay the way they are.

I think it's a totally valid opinion to say that the signings this window aren't good enough, even if you haven't seen them play, if they are the only ones we end up with at the end of the summer.
    +1

Now get the hell out of this thread.

This is no place for non-hyperreactive posting.

Im keeping my eyes on you, buddy:(

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good record in Holland yet available with seemingly no competition
    Good season in Spain but locked up nice and early with seemingly no competition and only one season at the top level to his name
    Great season in the Spanish Second Division but only 7 appearances at the top level to date in his career

League One journeymen? No. But certainly not top shelf talent.
    Who? Suarez?

5live wrote: »
    Who? Suarez?

Duncan Jenkins . Assaidi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Apparently Suarez has said the signings are not good enough. According to Cavani, which is all over Twitter/Facebook atm.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ajax had Assaidi close to wrapped up before we came in late

Spurs and other clubs were reportedly interested in Aspas. We're merely speculating though.

Alberto is only 20. At his age Pedro had 2 appearances for Barcelona.

Indeed.

It's a well known fact at this stage and has been mentioned multiple times in this thread over the past year, yet I have a feeling it will have to be mentioned a million more times.

Aspas was being linked with moves to Turkey, Italy, England (Liverpool aside) and a few clubs in Spain as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Doff wrote: »
    Apparently Suarez has said the signings are not good enough. According to Cavani, which is all over Twitter/Facebook atm.

link us up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Indeed.

It's a well known fact at this stage and has been mentioned multiple times in this thread over the past year, yet I have a feeling it will have to be mentioned a million more times.

Aspas was being linked with moves to Turkey, Italy, England (Liverpool aside) and a few clubs in Spain as well.

Aspas himself said he'd other offers.

Plus what's the point anyway? Rodgers has publicly said they are squad signings with first choice players now the priority, so another pointless debate.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Leiva wrote: »
    Duncan Jenkins . Assaidi
    Suarez wasnt exactly being courted by a lot of clubs when he signed for us.

In fact, iirc there was negligible interest by anyone bar us.

Pretty much the same as Assaidi, tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He's got the full backing of the Board, but he's operating under a restricted budget.

I do agree with Lloyd in the sense that we should be spending more to try and regain entry into the top 4. This isn't the fault of Rodgers - he is only operating within the parameters set. People hate the term marquee signing, but what this club needs is a player who will instantly be a first name on the team sheet. Rodgers just hasn't been given enough to spend on this kind of player.

Pedalstool wrote: »
    There is an awful lot of time and effort debating the need for 2 or 3 more signings and the ramifications for everyone if we don't. There is over a month left in the window, would it not be prudent to see how it develops first?

The larger money deals often become a game of brinksmanship.
    Rodgers has stated that he wants cover for left back, a centre back and an attacking midfielder. So yea, people are jumping the gun if they think our transfer business is complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

He's got the full backing of the Board, but he's operating under a restricted budget.

I do agree with Lloyd in the sense that we should be spending more to try and regain entry into the top 4. This isn't the fault of Rodgers - he is only operating within the parameters set. People hate the term marquee signing, but what this club needs is a player who will instantly be a first name on the team sheet. Rodgers just hasn't been given enough to spend on this kind of player.

Allen + Borini = 25 mil that could have been used on a "marquee signing"......not knocking those young players but it could be argued, if we gave both of them a miss and bought a quality player last year for 20 mil + we'd have been better off. He has spent money but he has had to slash cost also though.....

Rodgers has stated that he wants cover for left back, a centre back and an attacking midfielder. So yea, people are jumping the gun if they think our transfer business is complete.

He has said the exact opposite actually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

More on Melgarejo...
    Gonçalo Lopes (@_GoncaloLopes)
    7/29/13, 11:20 AM
    Melgarejo very close to sign a loan deal with #Liverpool. The reds will have a buy option in the end of the season. #lfc #benfica

7/29/13, 11:23 AM
    The deal could be done until tomorrow and melgarejo, LB, will be travelling in the next days. #lfc

7/29/13, 11:24 AM
    The only thing that could stop the deal is the work permit. He only did one game for Paraguay last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

It's not as simple as a lack of money to spend.
    The main issue is getting a top notch player to sign that isn't at a team who can give him Champions League football and isn't wanted also by a team who can give him that.

The cash is there but they are choosing to spend it wisely which is fair enough as the club still has debts to pay.
    January showed who the club will try target, a young player who has talent but hasn't been given a fair crack at his bigger current club.
    Yea it's not ideal but that's what we have to deal with.

Still more than a month left so i expect 3 new bodies in the door by Sept 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Doff wrote: »

He wants marquee signings! Quick, lets sign the next Cole/Morientes/Carroll/Keane!

5live wrote: »
    Suarez wasnt exactly being courted by a lot of clubs when he signed for us.

In fact, iirc there was negligible interest by anyone bar us.

I'll ignore the Assaidi comment :)

You're right with the above however. This is the only reason we landed Suarez IMO. There was little to no interest at least in regards to bids for him from other clubs, namely Champions League clubs even after his performances for Uruguay in World Cup 2010 and for Ajax themselves! Why? His on the pitch antics put off a lot of clubs. He's generally remembered fondly by Ajax fans now but at the time of his move and in the months leading up to it there were quite a few who were glad to rid of him too and accused him of engineering a move away from Ajax in that last 6 months to a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

NukaCola wrote: »
    Allen + Borini = 25 mil that could have been used on a "marquee signing"......not knocking those young players but i would argue, if we gave both of them a miss and bought a quality player last year for 20 mil + we'd have been better off. He has spent money but he has had to slash cost also though.....

Hindsights a great thing though, back in January a lot of us were saying we were mad to spend 20m on Sturridge & Coutinho.

Allen + Borini = 25 mil that could have been used on a "marquee signing"
    That logic works the other way too.

Sturridge, Coutinho, Mignolet and Aspas = Andy Carroll.

Allen + Borini = 25 mil that could have been used on a "marquee signing"......not knocking those young players but i would argue, if we gave both of them a miss and bought a quality player last year for 20 mil + we'd have been better off. He has spent money but he has had to slash cost also though.....

We also needed more bodies in relation to the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Why bother arguing about it either way. Signings like Assiadi won't define this club. he could have been a useful addition to the squad, wasn't utilised for whatever reason and will be moved on without a huge monetary outlay by the club. Aspas may turn out to be a good player for us, or may not make an impact, but we can't judge that yet.

He has said the exact opposite actually
    :confused:
    "We probably need a bit more support - that extra bit of quality - at the top end of the field and that's something we'll look out for.

"That'll be mixed with needing cover in the left-back position - that's something we're looking at. It's not really about numbers, it's about quality."

"If we can do that over the next number of weeks we'll be happy."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That says a lot about what people would consider a 'marquee signing'.

skywalker wrote: »
    Hindsights a great thing though, back in January a lot of us were saying we were mad to spend 20m on Sturridge & Coutinho.

We also needed more bodies in relation to the squad.

My actual point was he had money to spend.....i accept he had to raise a lot of it by cutting the wage bill and offloading other players. I also wasn't saying we should have spent it on a marquee signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

In fairness the market was a hugely different place when we signed Suarez. It has become a much more crowded place with the increased number of clubs all fighting for the attention of top players with money to burn. At the time I remember we also got extremely lucky in none of the top sides really needed a big name striker or had just spent big on a striker. Yeah Suarez star for his off field antics had fallen a little but loads of stars aligned in order for us to have managed his signing. It was a bit of a miracle.

Opr

Rodgers wrote:
    “Defensively, I think we’ll be fine,” Rodgers said.

“Kolo has been terrific since he came in here. He may be 32 years of age but he’s super fit and in great condition.

“He’s a player who has looked after himself all his life. His age is no barrier and he’s someone with a winning mentality.

“He’s someone we felt could come in and support the group with his experience and his qualities.

“I’ve looked at him over the course of his career and watched him a lot last year. Having seen him first hand since he joined the club, he will be very good for us this season.

“We have a number of other outstanding centre-halves in Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel. We also have an up-and-coming top talent in Andre Wisdom who will be a very good centre-half for Liverpool in the future. And we still have Sebastian Coates too.”

Most recent update from Brendan. He talks a lot so its hard to keep up i know :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Pedalstool wrote: »
    There is an awful lot of time and effort debating the need for 2 or 3 more signings and the ramifications for everyone if we don't. There is over a month left in the window, would it not be prudent to see how it develops first?

That would be no fun! The thread would fall to pieces if everyone waited patiently until the window closes to discuss our dealings!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

He more recently said this:
    "Defensively, I think we'll be fine.

"Kolo has been terrific since he came in here. He may be 32 years of age but he's super fit and in great condition," he added.

"He's a player who has looked after himself all his life. His age is no barrier and he's someone with a winning mentality. He's someone we felt could come in and support the group with his experience and his qualities." said the Northern Irishman.

"I've looked at him over the course of his career and watched him a lot last year. Having seen him first hand since he joined the club, he will be very good for us this season.

"We have a number of other outstanding centre-halves in Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel. We also have an up-and-coming top talent in Andre Wisdom, who will be a very good centre-half for Liverpool in the future. And we still have Sebastian Coates too."

Sappy404 wrote: »

Snap!! :pac:

Most recent update from Brendan. He talks a lot so its hard to keep up i know :p
    Missed that one! Although wouldn't be surprised if we ditched Skrtel and brough in someone else....

• Advertisement

2k posts already :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:( my head hertz :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The only thing you can take for certain from those quotes is he doesn't think much of 5th in the pecking order Coates. If I was his agent I would be busy looking for another club, in a world cup year for Uruguay he needs games.

Karlton...
    Karl ‏@Karlton81 6m
    Been reassured that the club have a large amount of money to spend even without the sale of Luis Suarez, in the region of (£40m-£50m).

Karl ‏@Karlton81 4m
    Kolo Toure will be 1st choice CB with Daniel Agger, which means chance of Papadopoulos are pretty much over. #LFC

I am pie wrote: »
    The only thing you can take for certain from those quotes is he doesn't think much of 5th in the pecking order Coates. If I was his agent I would be busy looking for another club, in a world cup year for Uruguay he needs games.

That and we will probably start with Agger and Toure as CB's

Karlton...

Is he reliable Raif?

I know Borini hasn't really worked out so far but given the lack of options for the front 4 and the whole Dempsey mess, we'd have all been going mad if we at least didn't have him as an option last September. As for Allen, whatever about the cost and his quality, we are light enough for CM options even with him, we'd sold Adam as well.

For me we've addressed the front 4 options quite well, which is why I don't see the need to spend big on an AM, CB and a DM would be the priorities for me.
    I'll ignore the Assaidi comment :)

You're right with the above however. This is the only reason we landed Suarez IMO. There was little to no interest at least in regards to bids for him from other clubs, namely Champions League clubs even after his performances for Uruguay in World Cup 2010 and for Ajax themselves! Why? His on the pitch antics put off a lot of clubs. He's generally remembered fondly by Ajax fans now but at the time of his move and in the months leading up to it there were quite a few who were glad to rid of him too and accused him of engineering a move away from Ajax in that last 6 months to a year.

I'd read a blog piece suggesting he was an Ayre signing and there was some politics going on because of that. Makes some sense.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Is he reliable Raif?

He got some Rights and some Wrongs.

A bit lower than Tony Barrett, in my estimation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Heading over to Stevies` testimonial , any ex players or guest players mentioned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Morzadec wrote: »
    I have a feeling that next year our problems will be similar to the last 2 seasons - failing to break down teams that are happy playing for a draw.

Or more specifically, being wasteful and having a chance conversion % right down there with the worst in the league. At first I thought it was just bad luck, but the frequency it happens (and often the inevitability of it happening) suggests we're just not quite good enough in the final third.

If we could even get this % up to 7th or 8th best in the league we would see a massive points improvement, as we match or better some of the best teams in the other metrics.

Worst player I've seen play for Liverpool I think.

Someone like Traore gets a lot of stick, but he did his best with limited abilities.

Nunez, like you said, was totally apathetic. Awful.

I'll see your Nunez, and raise you one Mr Jimmy Carter. :p

Carter trumps pretty much all our crap players for me, because not only did he fool Kenny Dalglish into buying him for 800k in 1991, he somehow then managed to then fool George Graham into buying him for 500k for Arsenal later the same year.

800K might not sound a big transfer nowadays, but in 1991 it was still a decent transfer fee and the biggest that the club had paid another British club at that point for a player was the 1.9m Beardsley cost.

Can still remember watching one of his first games for the club. Was like the club had grabbed some random lad of the street and put him on the wing. He went straight into a Liverpool team that was sitting on top of the league and managed to nulify our attacking threat on that flank all by himself. The other teams could have played with no full back on that side and the sod probably still would have lost the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Is he reliable Raif?

People seem to believe him, but one of our own (who's a feature on Twitter) seems to think it's still on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Karlton...
    Is he reliable Raif?

I as a doorman I always found him to be somewhat surly*

* mid 70s reference joke for the old folks.

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd read a blog piece suggesting he was an Ayre signing and there was some politics going on because of that. Makes some sense.

I've heard this, but didn't Assaidi say BR convinced him to join?

Edit
    Assaidi wrote:
    "Before I spoke with him [Rodgers], I wanted to stay in Holland - but after talking to him, I made the choice of Liverpool."

I'd wonder where we are going to spend £40-50 Million on if no CB. Though I was assuming Skrtel was going if we did spend on a CB, that talk seems to have dried up, I'd prefer selling him but with a new keeper and possibly a LB, might be wiser to stick.

Wishom should be starting early cup games as a CB for me, though as said, doesn't say a lot for Coates.

Leiva wrote: »
    2k posts already :eek:
    We should have our own forum, so much gets lost and duplicated - it's getting ridiculous trying to follow this thread.

• Advertisement

Sappy404 wrote: »

I hope that is just nothing chatter he was putting out for the media, because if he is being serious with that I will have reservations about our defence this coming season.

He has already shown that he does not rate Skrtel, and I would agree with him on that to a large degree.

No idea why he bothered to mention Coates, both he and the man who bought Coates seemed to have little to no interest in using that player.

Wisdom would be a gamble at this point in time, although I have really high hopes for him as in my eyes he is our biggest young talent at the club save for Coutinho.

Toure and Agger might work as a pairing, but I would be a bit nervous about having to rely on both being fit enough to remain a pairing for the majority of the league season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Seems to rule out the possibility that Kelly will make the move to CB. I did notice it was Wisdom, not him that was slotted in there during pre season.

I think if we move on either Coates OR Skrtel permanently, we'll buy a CB. As things stand, we have 6 options if you include Kelly. That's too many to warrant another arrival.

5starpool wrote: »
    Seems to rule out the possibility that Kelly will make the move to CB. I did notice it was Wisdom, not him that was slotted in there during pre season.

I really like Kelly as a player, but I think Wisdom is going to leapfrog him in the pecking order this season if both stay fit.

5starpool wrote: »

Yeh, I am still surprised that no-one things he'll eventually move to CB, he wants to play there. He has the size and skills for it, but maybe not the most mobile, not as sharp on his toes as Andre?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement