Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Probably Bull...
    Kopwatch (@KOPWATCH) tweeted at 2:28 PM on Mon, Jul 29, 2013:
    #LFC are aware #Suarez is dissatisfied and wants out but have told him he will only be sold to Madrid. NO English clubs. #Arsenal

Kopwatch (@KOPWATCH) tweeted at 2:29 PM on Mon, Jul 29, 2013:
    The stance on #Suarez is cos of how #LFC stuck by him in his times of need. If Madrid don't come calling he will be forced to stay.

Kopwatch (@KOPWATCH) tweeted at 2:31 PM on Mon, Jul 29, 2013:
    #LFC view it as NO1 forced him to sign a NEW deal. He has been warned any deal will need to happen soon and if he stays NO antics.

VC for Dagger?
    LFCZA (@LFCZA) tweeted at 2:19 PM on Mon, Jul 29, 2013:
    So apparently Daniel #Agger will be confirmed #LFC's vice-captain.

Spanish Youngsters on Milk.
    Liverpool FC Academy (@LiverpoolFCU21s) tweeted at 3:12 PM on Mon, Jul 29, 2013:
    Canos and Pedro Chirivella at the Milk Cup parade. #LFC @MilkCup2013
    BQWOMlpCAAItH4N.jpg:large

First it was Santa Sam and then there's Santa Rafa...
    MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 1m
    Napoli have drawn up a list of targets to bolster their defense, with Martin Skrtel at number one. (Il Mattino)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Dcully wrote: »
    Heading over to Stevies` testimonial , any ex players or guest players mentioned?

think its just the current first team isn't it? using it as part of their pre season preparations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I see a trialist has been at CB for the U21s in the last few games, apparently a lanky Real youngster called Rafa Paez, turns 19 next month -

http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/es/1193040566169/1202801861421/jugador/Jugador/Rafa_Paez.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

ManOnFire wrote: »
    think its just the current first team isn't it? using it as part of their pre season preparations

Carra should at least get a run out up top.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I thought the Milk Cup was only u-15 or u-16. Obviously not, but are there different categories in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

5starpool wrote: »
    I thought the Milk Cup was only u-15 or u-16. Obviously not, but are there different categories in it?

They have two youth classifications - I can't see any numbers but I suppose its U16 and U20 sort of thing.

JUNIOR SECTION

Monday, 29th July
    3.30pm Co. Tyrone v Liverpool FC

Tuesday, 30th July
    1.30pm Liverpool FC v Cavan & Monaghan DL

Wednesday, 31st July
    3.30pm Liverpool FC v Southampton FC

PREMIER SECTION

Monday, 29th July
    8pm Liverpool FC v Co. Armagh

Tuesday, 30th July
    7pm O’Higgins FC v Liverpool FC

Wednesday, 31st July
    7pm Liverpool FC v Newcastle Utd

BBC NI have highlights, back with details in a mo.

Right its on the RED button, not sure if you need to aim your Freesat/SKY EPG at the Norn Iron frequency to get the coverage. They will be showing the final online and red button.

EDIT - 981 on freesat at 9 pm till 11 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Probably Bull...

VC for Dagger?

Spanish Youngsters on Milk.

First it was Santa Sam and then there's Santa Rafa...

That pic needs a young Wenger perving in the background

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

ManOnFire wrote: »

Yeah your probably correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Raif has thrown up bits and pieces from this lad. He seems toscour the different internet forums and come up with bits and pieces from lads he knows over the years have gotten information in the past. Take it all with the required amount of salt when reading.
    LFCZA ‏@LFCZA 3m
    This lad on ynwa.tv isn't an ITK or anything, but seems to know someone who's connected to Arsenal (journo). They're not confident anymore

LFCZA ‏@LFCZA
    Once you've been around long enough you tend to pick up who has various connections or knows a thing or two about a deal (even tidbits)

LFCZA ‏@LFCZA
    Wenger is apparently fuming and it seems its #Suarez's agent who's lead Arsenal on regarding the clause. The thought it was a release. #LFC

LFCZA ‏@LFCZA
    Anyway, the lad informed the rest of the forum that Arsenal were very confident on getting #Suarez. Now, apparently, confidence is very low.

LFCZA ‏@LFCZA
    I have become increasingly confident #Suarez is staying. There's a lad on ynwa.tv who is being briefed by an Arsenal-connected journalist...

Opr

• Advertisement

Salt-for-gritting-the-roa-001.jpg

Now, show me those tweets again..

5starpool wrote: »
    Seems to rule out the possibility that Kelly will make the move to CB. I did notice it was Wisdom, not him that was slotted in there during pre season.

When was the last time Kelly played competitively as a CB? Years? Don't think he ever had a game for the 1st team there. I can't recall one anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

On pure professional point of view Suarez should sack his agent if he can't understand a clause in a contract.

To be honest all these tweets are totally plausible even though there is chance its 99% bull****.

Oh twitter how much I hate and love you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

rob316 wrote: »
    On pure professional point of view Suarez should sack his agent if he can't understand a clause in a contract.
    This^

Guardiola should be sacked by Suarez. He has done him no favours and comes across as a right cowboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I finally got round to reading Reina's letter and I think the club handled the situation perfectly . To me it seems he was willing to consider a move to Barcelona so the club got a new keeper the move didn't happen so they decided to move him Reina on for a year . I can see him at Barcelona this time next year . So lets hope the move works out for everyone . Pepe has a good season so we can get a good price and he gets the move to the club he wants to play for .

rarnes1 wrote: »
    When was the last time Kelly played competitively as a CB? Years? Don't think he ever had a game for the 1st team there. I can't recall one anyway

You are correct, never played as a CB for the senior side. Starting to look like he never will.

mike65 wrote: »
    You are correct, never played as a CB for the senior side. Starting to look like he never will.

Very good competition for RB tbf.

Hopefully Wisdom can make it as a CB at the club.

Re Reina to Barca next year? Is it a done deal or just speculation?

Also, is it as 1st choice? :confused: Hardly, or am I missing something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Re Reina to Barca next year? Is it a done deal or just speculation?

Also, is it as 1st choice? :confused: Hardly, or am I missing something

Depended on Valdes leaving, but he decided to stay I believe and run the contract down, or run it down another year.

Pepe was going to go as his replacement but this stopped them from needing a new keeper. I would say he needs a good year with Rafa if he is to achieve his ambition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Very good competition for RB tbf.

Hopefully Wisdom can make it as a CB at the club.

He is a great option to have, hopefully the docs can work there magic with him and he gets a long run injury free.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Madness that yous even considered letting Reina go, I am sure if yous showed him that he was wanted he would of never contemplated joining Barca in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I am sure if yous showed him that he was wanted he would of never contemplated joining Barca in the first place.

Dunno how you could be sure about that, in fact I'd be pretty sure of the complete opposite!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Madness that yous even considered letting Reina go, I am sure if yous showed him that he was wanted he would of never contemplated joining Barca in the first place.

Last few months or so aside, he's been woeful for the past few years and has cost us points. He's also been at the club for around 8 years now and perhaps he just wants to return home at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

How is that the case ? Reina is on one of the biggest wage packets at the club . He was the one who told the club to expect a bid from Barcelona . He has been sounding out a move back to Barcelona from the time Valdes announced he was going to be leaving .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He came to the club some while back and stated that he believed that Barca would be coming in for him during the summer and that he wanted "to go home".

He then said that if they didn't come in then he wanted to extend his contract at Liverpool.

The Club, rightly, didn't want to be stuck at the end of the window with Jones in goals, imagine the nightmare, and so learnt from last year's debacle re Carroll/Dempsey and went out early and got a goalie.

As things transpired, Reina never got the call from Barca and Liverpool saw Mignolet as the clear number one - Rightly so.

Job well done in my eyes by the club, from both a business and footballing perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Reina has long spoken of his desire to finish his career in Spain. He first brought it up during either the 08/09 or the 09/10 season. Would imagine that come next summer he will finally get his wish after Valdes spoiled it for him this summer.

Even his father went on radio this year talking about Pepe Reina playing in Spain again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I am really surprised at Reina so to be honest, I always thought he was Liverpool through and through. Mignolet is a very good keeper and definitely worthy of the No.1 spot.

A lot of our players have gotten away with inadequacy at certain times over recent seasons as their reputations preceded them.

The 'on paper vs on the pitch' value of some of our players has often been warped. In the last two seasons, potentially three, Reina is one such player.

I can handle Reina going if Jones is replaced

I am really surprised at Reina so to be honest, I always thought he was Liverpool through and through. Mignolet is a very good keeper and definitely worthy of the No.1 spot.

1. He is Spanish
    2. His father played for Barcelona
    3. He came through the Barca youth system and even played a La Liga game for them.

He was a good servant to Liverpool but his roots are in Spain, Napoli is stop off on his way back home. Best of luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Knex. wrote: »
    A lot of our players have gotten away with inadequacy at certain times over recent seasons as their reputations preceded them.

The 'on paper vs on the pitch' value of some of our players has often been warped. In the last two seasons, potentially three, Reina is one such player.

spot on

Perceived "top class" players on paper got a free ride as if their reputation justified their inclusion

Reina has spoken of his desire to play in Spain, but he has been off the boil for some time now and bringing in Mignolet has been fully justified.

Ideally by someone steady in their late 30s. An experienced quality goalkeeper happy to sit on the bench, provide cover and pick up a good last paycheck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Imagine giving so much of your career to LFC, wait and wait and wait for things to pick up again, keep waiting.

Then, as you get into your 30's, when the possibility arises that you might get a chance to move back to your home country, to the club you were brought up in as a kid, a club that your father played in goal for, that happen to be one of the best in the world, with the best player in the world!!!!. This is the only club he wanted to leave for. What a fkin cheek to even suggest that might be something he might like to do down the road!!!!

Up front honesty from the player, from a distance, was given to the club. That's all you ask of anyone no matter who they are. People having a dig at Reina in any shape or form, in terms of how this was handled, need a reality check. Whatever about form etc, it says plenty about Reina, that in a time where we cant seem to attract anyone in the upper layers of quality, and debate all the things about not being able to offer CL football, that someone like him is probably genuinely sad to leave us and go play in that competition.

Any suggestions? I have none. Don't dare say Given :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

TBF it was mostly LuckyLloyd....the rest of us were hoping he would turn it around.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

For the right fee and low wages, Shay Given would be an excellent back up goalkeeper

Turtyturd wrote: »
    TBF it was mostly LuckyLloyd....the rest of us were hoping he would turn it around.

Pfft, I was enemy no.1 amongst Liverpool supporters in the previous forum I regularly posted in for saying similar :p

For the right fee and low wages, Shay Given would be an excellent back up goalkeeper

If I gave my full thoughts on Given, I'd be hounded out of here :D
    I've always believed he was overrated amongst Irish and namely Newcastle fans. Good shot stopper at times, sure. Never was the most commanding, distribution was poor, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Knex. wrote: »

Its got fk all to with reputations tbh. It all boils down to a club who cant attract good players anymore. Some will stay longer than others, some will do anything to get out. Its that simple. If you have no competition for your place there is no pressure on you to perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

When I read Reina's letter earlier, I knew exactly who would be posting what and why on here. The forced outrage is ridiculous at this stage.

• Advertisement

Here we go again, less of the sentimental nonsense and look at CURRENT performances.

Reina has cost us numerous times in the last couple of seasons. You don't win things by misplaced loyalty. Reina could say the same thing to us, he maybe would have won more elsewhere.

But then again I don't recall many concerted efforts of other clubs to sign him.

A great goalkeeper on his best day, but most definately on the slide. Don't think anyone is having a pop at Reina over his departure in fairness.

Its the best move for both parties, we get a hungrier, up and coming goalkeeper and move on a guy on huge wages who has seen better days quite frankly.

Never get this business of "being grateful Reina stuck around". His performances have not justified such praise, never mind the fact hes a decent skin and the like. He was probably one of the highest paid keepers in Europe also.
    daithijjj wrote: »
    Imagine giving so much of your career to LFC, wait and wait and wait for things to pick up again, keep waiting.

Then, as you get into your 30's, when the possibility arises that you might get a chance to move back to your home country, to the club you were brought up in as a kid, a club that your father played in goal for, that happen to be one of the best in the world, with the best player in the world!!!!. This is the only club he wanted to leave for. What a fkin cheek to even suggest that might be something he might like to do down the road!!!!

Up front honesty from the player, from a distance, was given to the club. That's all you ask of anyone no matter who they are. People having a dig at Reina in any shape or form, in terms of how this was handled, need a reality check. Whatever about form etc, it says plenty about Reina, that in a time where we cant seem to attract anyone in the upper layers of quality, and debate all the things about not being able to offer CL football, that someone like him is probably genuinely sad to leave us and go play in that competition.

Given would surely be better than Jones in fairness!

Seriously though, just a keeper of any age who is a better grade than Jones!

Given would surely be better than Jones in fairness!

Seriously though, just a keeper of any age who is a better grade than Jones!

A tad better perhaps..

I wouldn't mind Friedel back, but there is little chance of that happening I imagine.

A tad better perhaps..

I wouldn't mind Friedel back, but there is little chance of that happening I imagine.

in fairness there is a world of difference. Given is on another level to Brad Jones, keep in mind I was never a huge Given fan either, never rated him amongst the elite.

But as a back up option to Mignolet he would be terrific. The money would have to be right though, we'd probably get him on a free aswell as Villa want all high earners off their books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Funny thing is that a few on here were arguing last season that Jones was a better option than Reina prior to Reina's improvment in the latter half of the season. Same arguement came up even in Kenny's final season.

I remember commenting that I would have an off form Reina everytime over Jones, and that I rated a sub par Reina over Brad Jones. It drew quite a few comments about how Jones was the better option.

Have no faith at all in Brad Jones as a keeper and would much prefer to see either a decent young keeper brought in as cover or an experienced older keeper who had a good track record. Someone similar to how Chelsea brought in Schwarzer.

Brad Jones despite being 31 does not even tick the box of being an experienced player as he has pretty much been a second or third string keeper for most of his 12 year career, and spent a good chunk of his career being loaned out to lower league clubs who used him as as back up for the most part.

The most worrying thing about Jones is the fact that whenever he came close to getting a decent run of games elsewhere, he became very error prone. Would be terrified if we had to rely on him for a few months on end.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Funny thing is that a few on here were arguing last season that Jones was a better option than Reina prior to Reina's improvment in the latter half of the season. Same arguement came up even in Kenny's final season.

I remember commenting that I would have an off form Reina everytime over Jones, and that I rated a sub par Reina over Brad Jones. It drew quite a few comments about how Jones was the better option.

Have no faith at all in Brad Jones as a keeper and would much prefer to see either a decent young keeper brought in as cover or an experienced older keeper who had a good track record. Someone similar to how Chelsea brought in Schwarzer.

Brad Jones despite being 31 does not even tick the box of being an experienced player as he has pretty much been a second or third string keeper for most of his 12 year career, and spent a good chunk of his career being loaned out to lower league clubs who used him as as back up for the most part.

The most worrying thing about Jones is the fact that whenever he came close to getting a decent run of games elsewhere, he became very error prone. Would be terrified if we had to rely on him for a few months on end.

Would have been perfect

mike65 wrote: »
    Maybe he isn't being considered as a LB option? A bit of reading shows him to be a goal scoring winger/forward who, for whatever reason ended up as a full back at Benfica.

Just looking at youtube vids - this guy is a full back only in the way Gareth Bale once was.

More on Melgarejo...

http://paraguayfootball.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/paraguay-abroad-lorenzo-melgarejo/

There is no way this fella is being bought as a defender. Assaidi out, this guy in methinks. he can do emergency cover as a LB. Jorge Jesus must have hit his head or something.

Dickerty wrote: »
    I see a trialist has been at CB for the U21s in the last few games, apparently a lanky Real youngster called Rafa Paez, turns 19 next month -

http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/es/1193040566169/1202801861421/jugador/Jugador/Rafa_Paez.htm

Yep we chatted about him on Saturday (I think), its hard to keep up with this thread. He seems to be quite a handy mobile defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Almunia? Kirkland? Foster? Robinson?

Don't laugh

It really isn't hard to improve upon Jones.

Even Alex McCarthy at Reading would be a cheap improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I am pie wrote: »
    1. He is Spanish
    2. His father played for Barcelona
    3. He came through the Barca youth system and even played a La Liga game for them.

Bizzarely the only time I've seen Reina play in person was at Anfield in a UEFA Cup semi final.....for Barcelona!

He was a teenager then I think. McAllister beat him with a peno

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement