Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    If I gave my full thoughts on Given, I'd be hounded out of here :D
    I've always believed he was overrated amongst Irish and namely Newcastle fans. Good shot stopper at times, sure. Never was the most commanding, distribution was poor, etc.

Are you just saying this because you think it sounds good or do you actually believe this? Because it's way off the mark. I'd be willing to bet on seeing Given in the flesh more than most in this forum. He has his issues as a keeper but kicking accuracy certainly wasn't one of them.

We went through a six or seven match period with Ireland a few years back near the beginning of traps reign where the plan from every goal kick and every open play collection of the ball by given was to basically hit Kevin Kilbane on the left touchline....and he would try and flick it on to Doyle or Keane.....every single time and Kilbane would just stand in the same exact spot. It was clearly a training ground thing.

And be it from his hands or from the deck Given hit him pretty much perfectly every time. It was beckham esque to be fair. I can think of a number of other top keepers who wouldn't have the confidence or ability to do that and would just lump it upfield. Most of them do.

There are other aspects to distribution like quick release and having good feet that I couldn't tell you how good he was compared to other keepers.....but kicking accuracy was never an issue for Given. He was always good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Scoutnation finally put up a Vid for Geoffrey Kondogbia of Sevilla.

After Medel, he's the Player I wanted to come here to play DM. He can also play as CM. Though I don't think he'd come here to play second-fiddle to Lucas. Rumors abound that Real Madrid is after him.

BONUS:
    I've mentioned this one last night. A Riot almost ensues in a Preseason Fiendly between Porto and Celta Vigo, when Kelvin kicekd a Celta Vigo multiple times for dispossessing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

mike65 wrote: »
    There is no way this fella is being bought as a defender. Assaidi out, this guy in methinks. he can do emergency cover as a LB. Jorge Jesus must have hit his head or something.

Yeah it seems quite a strange purchase on the face of it. I do though remember the earlier days under Rodger's when Enrique/Johnson were pushed right up the pitch almost more like wingers most of the time than defenders. It didn't work out too well mainly because the team as whole didn't have the required players to play that way and the full backs became more defensive as the season went on.

Rodger's eventual vision though if executed in a way he wants will have the fullbacks playing very high which could be part of the reason for this type of profile of a player coming in for that position.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Would consider given to be a great option. Experience, cheap and confident plus given his fitness issues being backup is really all her is suited to. He's not fighting for an international place.. So he fits. He would be a considerable improvement on Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

5starpool wrote: »
    Seems to rule out the possibility that Kelly will make the move to CB. I did notice it was Wisdom, not him that was slotted in there during pre season.

And he looked pretty good too.

I've been a fan of Wisdom from the get go.
    Whatever about what he has provided, it's mostly what he's lacked that's impressed me - a lack of ****ups.

For one so young he's always looked seriously composed. Mightn't have quite the skillset to be a top FB but he certainly looks like a natural for CB.

Hopefully it's based on how impressive he's been as much as Toure that's left Rodgers happy to stick with CB. Despite the wobbliness last season I'd be fairly confident that we can improve at the back, especially if Lucas is back on song.

We definitely need at the very least 1 very good player for the first 11 though even if Suarez stays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

opr wrote: »
    Yeah it seems quite a strange purchase on the face of it. I do though remember the earlier days under Rodger's when Enrique/Johnson were pushed right up the pitch almost more like wingers most of the time than defenders. It didn't work out too well mainly because the team as whole didn't have the required players to play that way and the full backs became more defensive as the season went on.

Rodger's eventual vision though if executed in a way he wants will have the fullbacks playing very high which could be part of the reason for this type of profile of a player coming in for that position.

Opr

I have a feeling that if we sign him that Rodgers will mention that he has known about him for a longtime, maybe from his days training/scouting youth.

It seems we are in the market for previously highly rated youngsters that have just stalled or fallen into the cracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Knex. wrote: »
    It really isn't hard to improve upon Jones.

Even Alex McCarthy at Reading would be a cheap improvement.

Mentioned him a few days ago. Best fit I can think of at the price/wage we'd be looking for. Reading still have Federici to fall back on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Would Vorm play second fiddle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

its a daily heil link so be warned, but this made me laugh - Carroll can be as good as Drogba, says West Ham team-mate Cole

West Ham's Andy Carroll.
    West Ham's Joe Cole.

That made me feel better....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Here we go again, less of the sentimental nonsense and look at CURRENT performances.

Reina has cost us numerous times in the last couple of seasons. You don't win things by misplaced loyalty. Reina could say the same thing to us, he maybe would have won more elsewhere.

But then again I don't recall many concerted efforts of other clubs to sign him.

A great goalkeeper on his best day, but most definately on the slide. Don't think anyone is having a pop at Reina over his departure in fairness.

Its the best move for both parties, we get a hungrier, up and coming goalkeeper and move on a guy on huge wages who has seen better days quite frankly.

Never get this business of "being grateful Reina stuck around". His performances have not justified such praise, never mind the fact hes a decent skin and the like. He was probably one of the highest paid keepers in Europe also.

Funnily enough, i think that every day when i read this thread about how much progress we are making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Leiva wrote: »

Not in a World Cup year, I'd be almost certain of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Any suggestions? I have none. Don't dare say Given :(
    Well thats a given goes without saying:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I can handle Reina going if Jones is replaced

It's hardly a priority this windows unless you have some insider knowledge about Mignolet temperament and proneness to injury we're not privy to. Reina was 8 years a pool player before his first significant sidelining due to injury. Now granted that was an exceptional run, but keepers as a rule don't get sidelined through injuries or suspensions anywhere near as often as outfield players so people really need to take a chill pill over the number 2 position, it can wait.

I have a feeling that if we sign him that Rodgers will mention that he has known about him for a longtime, maybe from his days training/scouting youth.

It seems we are in the market for previously highly rated youngsters that have just stalled or fallen into the cracks.

Maybe , from what I've read he had actually a very good season on the wing prior to last year but because of the success they had in converting Coentrao, they probably thought they could do similar and move him on for big money. It just hasn't worked out that way. I'd say the scouts have probably looked at all this and thought he'd probably make a good wing back which is kind what I think Rodger's may be looking for.

I do think the below tweet is bang on the money :p

@natefc 3m - so I read Liverpool are supposedly after a young raw, attack-minded left back. In related news, Atletico paid €10m for Insua last January.

Opr

It's hardly a priority this windows unless you have some insider knowledge about Mignolet temperament and proneness to injury we're not privy to.

Mignolet rushed back from a broken jaw and played in a mask, risking permanent damage. No issues with his temperament in that regard.

@natefc 3m - so I read Liverpool are supposedly after a young raw, attack-minded left back. In related news, Atletico paid €10m for Insua last January.

Opr

3.5m I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Swansea would want big money for him as well, non runner. David Stockdale at Fulham impressed me any time I've seen him , he's been Fulham's sub keeper for the last few seasons so I'm sure he'd be happy to sit on our bench , very good shot stopper .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It's hardly a priority this windows unless you have some insider knowledge about Mignolet temperament and proneness to injury we're not privy to. Reina was 8 years a pool player before his first significant sidelining due to injury. Now granted that was an exceptional run, but keepers as a rule don't get sidelined through injuries or suspensions anywhere near as often as outfield players so people really need to take a chill pill over the number 2 position, it can wait.

I've just been through his entire senior career - he has had one injury when someone flattened his nose. Two seasons ago. He missed 9 games. Its the kind of knock a keeper gets once in a career unless very unlucky.

Oh and he saved a peno taken by Luis Suarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Raif has thrown up bits and pieces from this lad. He seems toscour the different internet forums and come up with bits and pieces from lads he knows over the years have gotten information in the past. Take it all with the required amount of salt when reading.

Opr

Definitely seems plausible given all that has transpired. I always wondered why Arsenal were so sure they could get him. Their withdrawal of their pursuit of Higuian might have been motivated by them thinking that Suarez was a slam dunk.

Also, while I have a lot of respect for Wenger and overall I like him well enough, there are few figures in football that give as many laughs when angry as Wenger. When the camera cuts to him when Arsenal are losing it never fails to make me laugh. Something about his face.

So when I read that apparently Wenger is fuming it gave me a good laugh! Especially as he may have pulled out of Higuian because he thought Suarez was sure to come. Made me think of this:

If those tweets are true (and while obviously twitter has to be taken with skepticism, they do make a lot of sense) then the Suarez situation (to me at least) seems to be pretty clear. I actually don't think Rodgers deserves any great praise for 'turning him around' (and anyone who knows me on here knows I'm not a Rodgers hater).

Basically, Suarez knows that a move to Arsenal would:

- make him more hated in England due to turning his back on Liverpool after showing him loyalty.

- make him look like a hypocrit (English media stuff he said).

- make a move to a giant club less likely as he would be tied to a 4 or 5 year contract (whereas next year he'll only have 2 left with us and we may not be in such a strong position to say he's not for sale)

Real Madrid's interest has not yet materialised, and if people had actually looked at the facts of the situation or read more Spanish news source rather than English they would have realised it perhaps has never really been there.

If Suarez is staying it is because he has basically no real option but to do so. We are pricing him out of a move to an English club (which would not be appealing to him anyway given the above reasons) and there is seemingly little interest in him from abroad at his price.

I don't want to count my chickens but I now think he will stay, as I predicted at the start of this saga and as I have always said was a strong possibility. Looking at what was possible/probable, looking at the facts, it was always likely that a move from Madrid would be the only thing to take him away from Anfield.

What I don't understand is why so many people thought it was a dead cert he would be going when that supposed move from Madrid was founded on little but rumours, and not even many serious rumours from Spain.

3.5m I thought?

I think Sporting only had 35% of him still which translated to €3.5m for them? Just checked and it also says on his Wiki page it was €10m total fee.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Almunia? Kirkland? Foster? Robinson?

Don't laugh

Alumnia is happy being first choice for Watford I'd say.

(Ben?) Foster is still first choice at WBA I think.

Kirby wrote: »
    Are you just saying this because you think it sounds good or do you actually believe this? Because it's way off the mark. I'd be willing to bet on seeing Given in the flesh more than most in this forum. He has his issues as a keeper but kicking accuracy certainly wasn't one of them.

We went through a six or seven match period with Ireland a few years back near the beginning of traps reign where the plan from every goal kick and every open play collection of the ball by given was to basically hit Kevin Kilbane on the left touchline....and he would try and flick it on to Doyle or Keane.....every single time and Kilbane would just stand in the same exact spot. It was clearly a training ground thing.

And be it from his hands or from the deck Given hit him pretty much perfectly every time. It was beckham esque to be fair. I can think of a number of other top keepers who wouldn't have the confidence or ability to do that and would just lump it upfield. Most of them do.

There are other aspects to distribution like quick release and having good feet that I couldn't tell you how good he was compared to other keepers.....but kicking accuracy was never an issue for Given. He was always good at it.

I don't usually watch Ireland. My opinions is based from what I've seen of him in the EPL over the years. For anyone who knows me, my main issue is that he isn't commanding whatsoever and was incredibly overhyped by a fair few Irish people. I still remember claims of him being world class. *shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Selling Insua was one of the dumbest transfer decisions of the last few years, and there's plenty to mention. Him and Kelly showed great potential at the time, the club needed to show patience with him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Morzadec wrote: »

If those tweets are true (and while obviously twitter has to be taken with skepticism, they do make a lot of sense) then the Suarez situation (to me at least) seems to be pretty clear. I actually don't think Rodgers deserves any great praise for 'turning him around' (and anyone who knows me on here knows I'm not a Rodgers hater).

For what it's worth, one of the main Arsenal 'ITK's on twitter who seemingly has links to the club is still saying he's very confident of it happening. So that kind of goes against this other lad.

I think Sporting only had 35% of him still which translated to €3.5m for them? Just checked and it also says on his Wiki page it was €10m total fee.

Opr

Maybe Sporting owning only 35% is what is skewing the numbers so. As far as I remembered, and in my quick search there, most of what I can see is reporting €3.5m.

Anyway, I think we'll all agree that there was a remarkable lack of foresight in letting the kid go the way we did. Had the same number of assists in his full season as Sterling did, six I believe.

I'm not talking spending big money ffs. Quite the opposite. Have Ming as number 1 and an adequate no 2 as backup. Yes it's not priority but for the sake of a couple of million max it should hopefully get sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'm not talking spending big money ffs. Quite the opposite. Have Ming as number 1 and an adequate no 2 as backup. Yes it's not priority but for the sake of a couple of million max it should hopefully get sorted.

Ming! No no no, just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Kirby wrote: »

Always thought Given was a class act, but I always thought he was uncomfortable when the ball was at his feet during open play.

Very disappointing to see the way his career has tailed off.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Maybe Sporting owning only 35% is what is skewing the numbers so. As far as I remembered, and in my quick search there, most of what I can see is reporting €3.5m.

Anyway, I think we'll all agree that there was a remarkable lack of foresight in letting the kid go the way we did. Had the same number of assists in his full season as Sterling did, six I believe.

He was brilliant in 08/09 when he came into the side for a spell of a handful of games if I recall correctly, I do remember even saying he was my MOTM in one or two games as well, Blackburn away springs to mind.

09/10 was painful to see with no backup, well, Aurelio being broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

K-9 wrote: »
    Selling Insua was one of the dumbest transfer decisions of the last few years, and there's plenty to mention. Him and Kelly showed great potential at the time, the club needed to show patience with him.

Those few months were absolutely terrible under the club, probably the worst I can remember since supporting Liverpool.

To think.. we sold Insua was bad enough but then to add to it we bought Konchesky :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

K-9 wrote: »

There really is a lot of competition for dumb moves but I do fondly remember that goal he got vs Arsenal in the Carling Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

+1

The amount of posts going on about 2nd GK is painful. Mignolet started every one of Sunderlands 38 PL games last year, and I'm pretty sure he has a decent injury record since the start of his career.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Rumours Spurs are close to signing Soldado for around £25m
    Presuming Bale is off but might not be the case. If not Spurs are seriously top 4 contenders, well ahead of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I am pie wrote: »
    Ming! No no no, just no.

If it's going to be anything it has to at least spell his name correctly.

Don't get how someone can be so lazy as to call him Mingolet (heard one of the lads on TAW call him that) - Google, mother****er!

Anyways... Mig it is.:cool:

Or else the frenchy noise "Minya".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Gbear wrote: »
    If it's going to be anything it has to at least spell his name correctly.

Don't get how someone can be so lazy as to call him Mingolet (heard one of the lads on TAW call him that) - Google, mother****er!

Anyways... Mig it is.:cool:

Or else the frenchy noise "Minya".

Luis Saurez and Martin Skertel say GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

Regarding Insua, did he not spend an awful lot of time just shoving people off the ball. I recall shouting at the screen with frustration telling him to stop all the time. Maybe it was just that he was inexperienced and what Enrique does now with his strength bustling people of the ball seemed in my eyes to be something that was always going to get us caught out with Insua.

Also he just kept getting bigger and bigger and seemed to be focusing on physical attributes rather than his game. I think the last time I saw him play he had lost some of his bulk and looked a better player.

Personally I thought fair play to the lad for refocusing and if now part of a CL team fair fcuks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Rumours Spurs are close to signing Soldado for around £25m
    Presuming Bale is off but might not be the case. If not Spurs are seriously top 4 contenders, well ahead of us

Haven't really been following the bale story. Is it hogwash or is there a chance he will go?

Minging save

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

gafferino wrote: »
    Haven't really been following the bale story. Is it hogwash or is there a chance he will go?

There's a real chance he will go imo. Marca are reporting as more than just a rumour if you get me.

He was always their number 1 target and they usually get what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

gafferino wrote: »

I still can't believe that the price quoted for Bale is £86m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

How much did Jones cost us just out of interest, are we likely to get an upgrade willing to sit on the bench for just a few million?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

jimmymal wrote: »
    Regarding Insua, did he not spend an awful lot of time just shoving people off the ball. I recall shouting at the screen with frustration telling him to stop all the time. Maybe it was just that he was inexperienced and what Enrique does now with his strength bustling people of the ball seemed in my eyes to be something that was always going to get us caught out with Insua.

Also he just kept getting bigger and bigger and seemed to be focusing on physical attributes rather than his game. I think the last time I saw him play he had lost some of his bulk and looked a better player.

Personally I thought fair play to the lad for refocusing and if now part of a CL team fair fcuks!

Yea, he did. Lost a lot of speed because of it. Dont know what advice he was getting but it was wrong, he was stocky enough before he even joined us. Im not that surprised he did well after he left us, i think Coates will do well when leaves as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

MigInhio-Let.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

It's a mad sum of money. I have to give Spurs a lot of credit that they actually don't want to cash in, winning obviously means more to them than an absurd amount of money. I wonder if Liverpool. Arsenal or United would be so defiant in the same position.

It's a mad sum of money. I have to give Spurs a lot of credit that they actually don't want to cash in, winning obviously means more to them than an absurd amount of money. I wonder if Liverpool. Arsenal or United would be so defiant in the same position.

You don't know that though. Publically they are saying it. Keep knocking them back until Madrid come back with their final offer.

It's win win really for them.

It is an incredible amount to spend, if true, but that money could only be of real use in January, or next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

You don't know that though. Publically they are saying it. Keep knocking them back until Madrid come back with their final offer.

It's win win really for them.

Maybe you're right, maybe they're rubbing their hands with glee right now. Wonder how much more they seriously think they can get in that case though. That sum is already crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

How much are Spurs worth?
    Probably not much more than triple that?

Assuming WHL is about the same, every other player put together is worth roughly what Bale is...
    Gareth Bale is worth about 40m tops. He's definitely not worth more than pretty much every other player ever. Even Ronaldo after his amazing season was only 80m.

Bale would eviscerate defenses in Spain.

Maybe you're right, maybe they're rubbing their hands with glee right now. Wonder how much more they seriously think they can get in that case though. That sum is already crazy.

It's insane money and tbh, they'd be nuts to turn it down. You could buy 3 top class players for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Lorenzo Melgarejo (SL Benfica)

29072013scoutr.jpg

Portuguese teams have always had a longstanding reputation for importing players from South America. The talent pool is huge and the likes of FC Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon have a history of importing young players with great potential with a means of selling them on for huge sums when they become established players and household names on the continent. Portugal is basically a home from home for such players due to the similarities in language and way of life coupled with the fact that work permits are not presented as an obstacle as they are in other European countries.

Moneyball, which was a word often mentioned by Fenway Sports Group when they took control of Liverpool Football Club, is none more appropriate to both FC Porto and Benfica. The likes of Anderson (Manchester United), Lisandro Lopez (Lyon), Lucho Gonzalez (Marseille), Fredy Guarin (Inter Milan) and Radamel Falcao (AS Monaco) were all acquired for modest sums from South America and then sold on for large sums. Likewise, Ramires and David Luiz (both Chelsea) and Angel Di Maria (Real Madrid) were all brought over from South America by Benfica on the cheap and sold for millions to the giants of Europe. And that brings us onto Paraguayan left-back, Lorenzo Melgarejo, who is likely to become the next player to depart Lisbon for pastures new.

Lorenzo Melgarejo started out as a left-winger at Club 12 de Octubre, who were in the Tercera Division (third tier) in Paraguay whilst Melgarejo played for them. Aged just 19, he was promoted from their youth set up in 2009 and made an instant impact when he scored seven goals in just 22 games, from the left-wing. It was not long before Primera Division giants, Club Olimpia, came calling and took the young winger to Asuncion in 2010 where Melgarejo would go on to make just 12 substitute appearances in the Clausura Championship.

The following season, Lorenzo Melgarejo was sold to Segunda Division side, Independiente FBC on a four-year deal. A step down a level proved to be just what Melgarejo needed as he went on to score an impressive eight goals in just 17 appearances and provided 12 assists from his position out on the left. However, during the mid-season break in the Segunda Division and after his impressive performances for Independiente FBC and with both Benfica’s and Vitoria Setubal’s scouts having followed his progression closely during his time at Olimpia, Benfica snapped up Melgarejo for an undisclosed fee in June 2011.

As is often the case when FC Porto or Benfica snap up young talent on the continent, it is quite often the norm for the player to be sent straight on loan to a team in the lower echelons of the league; and that was the case for Melgarejo as he was immediately sent on a season’s loan to Paços de Ferreira where his performances and goals from the left-wing helped Paços retain their Primeira Liga status as he finished the season with 10 goals in 29 appearances finishing the season as Paços’ top scorer.

The following summer saw Lorenzo Melgarejo return to his parent club and Benfica coach, Jorge Jesus, immediately handed him a starting place in Benfica’s team. However, this was not the biggest surprise as Jorge Jesus announced that Melgarejo would not be playing on the left wing but at left-back, which had been a problematic position for Benfica ever since Fabio Coentrao had left the club for Real Madrid in July 2011.

Now Jorge Jesus is a highly-respected coach in Portugal but he is also known for being extremely stubborn and pig-headed. Where Fabio Coentrao was successfully converted from a left-winger into a fine left-back under the tutelage of Jorge Jesus, the Benfica coach felt Melgarejo could follow suit. However, Melgarejo would struggle at times due to not knowing the position all that well but Jorge Jesus kept faith and continued to play Melgarejo in defence throughout the season. Both Benfica fans and the local media would often lay into the coach during post-match conferences, as Melgarejo was often the culprit for Benfica conceding goals and opposition teams soon latched onto this as they would target the left-back position as Benfica’s weakpoint.

So that leads us onto Lorenzo Melgarejo’s strengths and weaknesses. Without doubt, Melgarejo’s natural position is as a left-winger. He is blessed with raw pace and trickery and has a direct style of play which means he will not just stay on the wing but will look to cut infield as he likes to score goals as well as to create them. As a left-back he is far less comfortable. He is still learning the positional aspect of the role and he was caught out numerous times last season where he was either ball watching or failing to clear his lines, where he would try and play his way out of danger rather than keeping it simple. Onto his physique, Melgarejo has a slight stature and he did find it a struggle last season when he came up against strong forwards who would try and knock and bully him off the ball. Being just 5ft 7in, he also struggled in aerial duels which eventually led to Jorge Jesus sticking him on the post when defending corners or marking players when defending free-kicks.

Where Lorenzo Melgarejo did show promise was when he came up against fast wingers or wide players. His knowledge of the role was a great asset as he was able to read and nullify danger from wide positions by using his recovery pace and aggressiveness in the tackle. His bravery also meant he was able to stop crosses into the box more often than not. Another aspect that was a plus was his ability to throw the ball a long distance at throw-ins which was used to great effect at times last season.

As for Liverpool’s interest in Lorenzo Melgarejo, it seems that Brendan Rodgers is looking for a senior player to offer some real competition and cover for Jose Enrique at left-back. Aly Cissokho of Valencia was reportedly on the radar last week but that deal seems to have gone on the backburner for some reason or other.

Although predominantly a winger, Melgarejo could be seen by Rodgers as someone who could offer something further up the pitch when Liverpool are chasing a goal or playing against a side who are going to be set up more defensive-minded. Where Jose Enrique is a fine defender, going forward he does have the tendency to slow play down and often fails to deliver a cross when presented with the chance. Melgarejo could be seen as someone who could do just that from the left-back position.

Brendan Rodgers also had a tendency to change tactics mid-game last season and quite often reverted to three central defenders with Glen Johnson and Jose Enrique acting as wing-backs. Where Johnson offered a threat in a more advanced position, Jose Enrique failed to do likewise on the other side. Lorenzo Melgarejo could quite easily play such a wing-back role and would offer a far more direct and attacking threat than Jose Enrique was capable of producing last season.

Any such deal for Lorenzo Melgarejo will be on a loan basis with an option to buy next June. This, of course, gives the manager a chance to look at the player first hand without parting with a fee which is always a good way to gauge whether to make the deal permanent at a later stage. Where a problem may arise is due to Melgarejo only having one international cap to his name and whether he will be able to gain a work permit to play in England next year. If this obstacle is overcome, Liverpool will finally have senior cover at left-back which was something that Brendan Rodgers certainly needed to address this summer transfer window.

http://anfieldforever.co.uk/?p=628

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement